Author Topic: The RAWK Investment/Trading Thread  (Read 155875 times)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Investment/Trading Thread
« Reply #960 on: July 31, 2013, 06:33:40 pm »
I probably wouldn't mess around with CFDs/spreadbetting if you don't have the cash to risk. Or, at least just put small positions on after calculating an "equivalent" position in the cash share. And they wouldn't lock you in, you could have a stop loss/close the position to mitigate it; the value of the contract changes as the underlying does. Be very wary of the size you trade though- you can seriously leverage yourself up with them and they can be painful if it moves against you.

Okay, I'm at the point where I'm thinking of dipping my toe into CFD's.  My funds aren't great though.  Is there a minimum investment amount?

EDIT: I found a few sites that may interest...  Seems you can invest as little as £50, which would do me fine, although that seems to be just the deposit in this example, so I don't know where the final price would leave me...

http://www.cityindex.co.uk/cfd-trading/what-is-cfd-trading.aspx

http://www.intertrader.com/cfds.html
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:39:46 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #961 on: August 1, 2013, 12:03:34 am »
If things move quickly against you they'll be ringing you up to deposit more cash to maintain whatever minimum deposit they require for your trade.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #962 on: August 3, 2013, 04:06:12 pm »
looking for some advice, basically place i work is a privately listed company and am looking to buy shares in them work has a scheme where you can buy them through work but theirs a limit on how many you can buy which is linked to your salary eg if my salary is 30k i can buy 3k worth of shares in a year but id rather buy them independently as I'm looking to buy more just for the fact theirs been a huge drop in the share price after a poor financial year, is this ok for me to do this or would this be classed as insider trading so to speak because i know the shares will eventually rocket up ?

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #963 on: August 3, 2013, 04:54:19 pm »
If things move quickly against you they'll be ringing you up to deposit more cash to maintain whatever minimum deposit they require for your trade.

Damn, I doubt I could maintain the level of investment.  Where's a dwarven ring when I need one??
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #964 on: August 3, 2013, 09:36:15 pm »
looking for some advice, basically place i work is a privately listed company and am looking to buy shares in them work has a scheme where you can buy them through work but theirs a limit on how many you can buy which is linked to your salary eg if my salary is 30k i can buy 3k worth of shares in a year but id rather buy them independently as I'm looking to buy more just for the fact theirs been a huge drop in the share price after a poor financial year, is this ok for me to do this or would this be classed as insider trading so to speak because i know the shares will eventually rocket up ?

Sounds like a sharesave scheme where you can contribute £250 per month max into either a three or five year plan . You usually get a 20% discount on the price of the share on a set date . Sharesave is a win win situation if after the saving period the share price is below what was quoted at the beginning you have the option to take the cash and not lose out . If the shares have gone up your onto a winner

Or We have a similar one called a share investment plan ( sip ) check if it's similar as you don't pay tax and national insurance , and no capital gains at the end . We also get matching ones which become ours after 3 years . We need to hold them for five years for the capital gains and no income tax or ni to pay on selling .
« Last Edit: August 3, 2013, 09:40:22 pm by gazzam1963 »

Offline srs507

• Kopite
  • I'm scouse. Except for accent and location.
« Reply #965 on: August 5, 2013, 10:41:18 pm »
It's all off the radar here.

Any tips ?

Heh, as a licensed securities broker (finally can say that, I passed my exam today!) I still can't comment. Soz mate!

Anyway, on to the next 3 exams I have to take to be fully set for work.
Games I've been to: 2011/2012 - Wolves (h), Man Utd (h), QPR (h), Villa (a), Wigan (a), Newcastle (h), Man City (a)
2012/2013 - Spurs (Friendly), Norwich (h)
2013/2014 - Newcastle (h)
2014/2015 - Olympiakos (friendly), Man City (friendly)
Not bad for an American eh?

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #966 on: August 6, 2013, 12:23:06 am »

If you work for a Private Company will you not having difficulty buying shares without going through the company secretary?

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #967 on: August 6, 2013, 01:42:20 am »
Heh, as a licensed securities broker (finally can say that, I passed my exam today!) I still can't comment. Soz mate!

Anyway, on to the next 3 exams I have to take to be fully set for work.

Well in. Don't forget -  buy low sell high.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #968 on: August 7, 2013, 09:18:37 am »

Doubling down your financial capital on your human capital probably is not wise.

What if there is another bad financial year, job cuts and share price drops further, you lose your job at the same time as losing your investment.

The correlation is 1, diversify instead, by all means take advantage of the tax schemes gazzam talking about but you should think long and hard before lumping more in.

And you don't "know the shares will eventually rocket up" ya lunatic!
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #969 on: August 7, 2013, 10:34:55 am »
I'd be careful about stock markets for the next year or two. 

We're now 4 years & 5 months into this bull market and it's got 7-8 months left, maximum, before we see a major correction. The 7-8 months will be very choppy, with some significant swings, and won't be for the faint hearted.

The major correction, which will come in and around March/April 2014 will be very deep, 35-50%
« Last Edit: August 7, 2013, 10:36:28 am by JP-65 »

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #970 on: August 8, 2013, 01:32:03 am »

Doubling down your financial capital on your human capital probably is not wise.

What if there is another bad financial year, job cuts and share price drops further, you lose your job at the same time as losing your investment.

The correlation is 1, diversify instead, by all means take advantage of the tax schemes gazzam talking about but you should think long and hard before lumping more in.

And you don't "know the shares will eventually rocket up" ya lunatic!

maybe but right now the share price is rock bottom so to speak even if it was to go back its average from the last few years i would make a decent profit as for another bad financial year i know the reason why we had a poor year and if am honest id pretty much guarantee our share prices will increase again by September when our new deals are announced  and what we're working on now will blow our competitors away when its made public,

Offline warkstache

• Main Stander
« Reply #971 on: August 8, 2013, 04:18:59 am »
I'd be careful about stock markets for the next year or two. 

We're now 4 years & 5 months into this bull market and it's got 7-8 months left, maximum, before we see a major correction. The 7-8 months will be very choppy, with some significant swings, and won't be for the faint hearted.

The major correction, which will come in and around March/April 2014 will be very deep, 35-50%

That's a bit Doug Kass  ;D

For what it's worth, a correction is not only possible, but probable. Your ~5 year timeframe above would means a 35-50% correction from today's levels would put us back to around 1100-850, or the two major support longterm support levels.

Even though that seems possible technically, it boggles the mind fundamentally. A return to the depths of the Great Recession - March 2009 levels - shouldn't really be possible for a variety of reasons which I won't go into here. 

But.

Expanding the outlook from 5 years back to 15 years

suggests that objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.   8)

I do have one question. Why did you put your prediction as far out as March/April 2014? The longterm H&S looks to be broken even now. If you give it another 9 months, this current move up would be reinforced. The breakout through the last two long term resistance levels around 1500 - already ~13% higher at 1700 - will be even higher by then.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #972 on: August 8, 2013, 08:11:03 am »
Doug's OK, I trade thoughts with him a lot, he's just got this year wrong ;D

We'll max out at 1800 +/- 20 points before we go into a bear market, and back to 900-1000

Your second chart really says it all, markets swing & correct, this one is no different, and it won't come near 600's like it did in 2008/9, it's more like the levels of 2000/2

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #973 on: August 8, 2013, 10:44:12 am »
To add further, we'll see two 10% or so "corrections" between now & then, both lasting 4-6 weeks, first one soon & into September, second one probably in November/early December.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #974 on: August 8, 2013, 11:15:20 pm »

id seek independant advice on that.
you wouldnt want to take advice as gospel from a forum just in case it does land you in bother.

personally id think its ok unless you were the cheif accountant or higher up buying sh1t loads of shares.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #975 on: August 9, 2013, 03:44:08 pm »
Japan bonkers. Heading for doom, middle of next year.

yup

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #976 on: August 9, 2013, 04:17:31 pm »
I have just swapped my car for 3 magic beans. What think yee investment people of RAWK?.... Grow long?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #977 on: August 9, 2013, 04:36:47 pm »
What happened with Abe's policies, only short term kick?

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #978 on: August 9, 2013, 05:40:28 pm »
Jp: thoughts on japan stocks?

don't look at them at all, but Japan was in trouble before Abe's policies accelerated that process, IMO

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #979 on: August 9, 2013, 05:42:04 pm »
Lots of borrowed money, lots of fiscal stimulus, short of proper reform. So yeah, looking short term.

demographics are awful and getting worse, & Japan had very high debt to gdp levels before Abenomics, not sustainable, huge currency hit coming.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #980 on: August 9, 2013, 06:03:59 pm »
Long USDJPY, leveraged (via spreadbetting) was/is a favourite of mine. Just waiting to pounce on that one again.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #981 on: August 10, 2013, 03:07:30 pm »
Doug's OK, I trade thoughts with him a lot, he's just got this year wrong ;D

We'll max out at 1800 +/- 20 points before we go into a bear market, and back to 900-1000

Your second chart really says it all, markets swing & correct, this one is no different, and it won't come near 600's like it did in 2008/9, it's more like the levels of 2000/2

Interesting as well, that when we get the drop back to 900-1000, we'll have a gigantic inverse head & shoulders, which fits, as I believe we go on THE bull market of all bull markets after

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #982 on: August 11, 2013, 04:12:42 pm »
Some very interesting long term trends discussed here:

http://www.amateur-investor.net/AII_Weekend_AnalysisAug_10_13.htm

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #983 on: August 11, 2013, 05:22:33 pm »

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #984 on: August 11, 2013, 05:53:43 pm »
Post election year Presidential Cycle.....watch out below!

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #985 on: August 12, 2013, 01:29:06 pm »
Lawrence McDonald ‏@Convertbond 8m
Still amazed that the entire world is ignoring the risk / reward of Japan's QE addiction, nearly 3x US and missing GDP  estimates today

Offline vele-srbin

• Main Stander
« Reply #986 on: September 4, 2013, 12:35:43 pm »
Don't know how many guys here from Aus, but we had a mining boom a few years, although not as great, expect a Natural gas boom over the course of the next 2 years or so

Offline CB

• Kopite
  • Chi non salta della Lazio e'
« Reply #987 on: September 10, 2013, 05:48:42 pm »
Anybody with any news/views on whether LSE:KENZ will get an improved bid from LSE:AMEC or elsewhere?

The put-up or shut-up deadline is next Monday.
Milan nel incubo!

E grazie a Dio che non sono Laziale!

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #988 on: October 13, 2013, 02:57:49 pm »
Looking to buy stocks online in the UK, any pointers?

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #989 on: October 13, 2013, 04:15:38 pm »
Looking to buy stocks online in the UK, any pointers?

Pointers as to brokers , or pointers as to stocks?

I'm considering dabbling (couple of hundred quidish) , just for fun really. I'd like to 'bet' on shares/indicies prices, to avoid nasty tax implications (unlikely at that level I know) and more importantly hefty broker fees.  Can anyone recommend a site with a decent range of UK and US stocks for punting on without 'hefty' fees?

"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #990 on: October 13, 2013, 10:26:03 pm »
Brokers mate, looking at the barclays "market master" one currently.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #991 on: October 15, 2013, 09:07:54 am »
Pointers as to brokers , or pointers as to stocks?

I'm considering dabbling (couple of hundred quidish) , just for fun really. I'd like to 'bet' on shares/indicies prices, to avoid nasty tax implications (unlikely at that level I know) and more importantly hefty broker fees.  Can anyone recommend a site with a decent range of UK and US stocks for punting on without 'hefty' fees?

I use Iweb share dealing, only charge £5 a transaction, if you do set up an account set it up as an ISA to save on the tax - dont forget you can have a cash ISA and shares ISA at the same time, and can put upto £5,600 or there abouts in each (or double that is you dont have a cash ISA I believe)
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #992 on: October 18, 2013, 01:18:36 pm »
Cheers West London Red :)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #993 on: October 18, 2013, 03:22:37 pm »
Google just hit over a $1000 per share. Yay my 1 share :thumbup

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #994 on: October 18, 2013, 03:25:25 pm »
Remember reading the IPO doc and then not buying. Idiot.

I bought it when it was at +- $620 per share. So a decent return so far :)

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #995 on: October 18, 2013, 03:29:08 pm »
I'm waiting for the newly privatised Royal mail to get my w-80 or whatever it is delivered, so I can buy US stock.

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #996 on: October 19, 2013, 01:49:46 am »
its fun to look back and see that there few that have got things right. and would you bet your money on the ones that have??

do your own research people. if you don't understand the company then don't put money into it.

and if you don't now how to research then you may be better off using funds.. the highs won't be as high... but nor will the lows.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #997 on: October 20, 2013, 10:08:39 am »
its fun to look back and see that there few that have got things right. and would you bet your money on the ones that have??

do your own research people. if you don't understand the company then don't put money into it.

and if you don't now how to research then you may be better off using funds.. the highs won't be as high... but nor will the lows.

What sort of things do you look for when researching companies?

Offline CB

• Kopite
  • Chi non salta della Lazio e'
« Reply #998 on: October 23, 2013, 12:44:40 pm »
What sort of things do you look for when researching companies?
I invest in individual equities and tend to focus on companies operating in markets which I understand. Luckily I work in mergers and acquisitions so I get access to pretty good quality information which also helps.

I use a strategy of initially picking companies in end markets with good fundamentals which is suppose is pretty obvious. Then I obviously look at individual companies for their growth potential, as well as competitive market position (is there one other big dominant player or is the company able to improve its position based on what it is doing?) and the regulations in force in its sector and the likelihood of change to these (positive or negative).

I also look at companies which are trading below the average price-earnings (P/E) ratio for their sector. I try to find out whether there is a reason for this and if the companies it taking steps to remedy any issues which it has had. On the flip side, I also look at companies trading at well above the market average P/E to see if there are any safe havens with good dividend yields.

I do also check out the credentials of the management team...looking at issues like how long have they been running the company, what is their background, have they previously grown similar businesses, do they look for growth through acquisitions and what has the dividend profile been since they have been running the company.

Working in M&A, I also have a natural tendency to look at companies as potential takeover targets and this does actually end up being my usual preference. If I can see M&A activity in the sector and there is the likelihood of more, then I will definitely go searching for a potential bid target. Also, if there seems to be hedge fund activity around an interesting company then this may suggest that they may be building their positions in expectation of a bid coming in.

Overall, with M&A being a key driver for me, I tend to be invested in companies for the medium-term unless I can see a very quick win because of a bid situation arising.

As examples of this, some my equities at present are LSE:BG, NYSE:CAM, NYSE:DRQ, NYSE:FTI, AIM:GAS, LSE:HTG, LSE:KENZ, NYSE:RRC and LSE:SMDR...so a heavy oil and gas focus at the moment.
Milan nel incubo!

E grazie a Dio che non sono Laziale!

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #999 on: October 23, 2013, 03:48:37 pm »
I wanted to put some money away to pay for my daughter going to college and I am not that up to speed with financial markets, terminology etc. and some of the posts in here I honestly do not understand.
So as an investement choice what is the opinion on tracker funds ? I looked a while back on I think moneysaving expert website (or could have been Martins whatshisface not sure) and they are more complicated than I thought ! Some are ethical, far east, china russia etc. and some charge management fees and some don't - is it simplifying things to say if it charges a management fee then it is probably "better" ?