Author Topic: The RAWK Investment/Trading Thread  (Read 155892 times)

Offline Zanchent

• Sole creator and only disciple to the brand new yet enchanting, charming, one might say "revolutionary", religion known, quite unpredictably, as Zanchentism. It's like Zen, only not.
  • Legacy Fan
  • RTK
Re: The RAWK Investment/Trading Thread
« Reply #920 on: January 15, 2013, 10:11:07 am »
Thanks for the information. Is there a list brokers who are preferable to deal with here, or is it a case of shopping around for the better rates?

I don't trade physical shares myself so I won't make a recommendation.

It depends on what assets you want to trade, how much you want to invest, how long you intend to hold the investment for and if you're looking for execution only or an advisory service aswell. To be honest, either way, it's not difficult to find a decent broker. A quick google search will present you with a fairly reasonable summarisation of what's available.

If you're a complete novice to this, don't jump straight into it and make sure you know what you're doing or you will lose lots and lots of money... It's not easy!

Offline Zanchent

• Sole creator and only disciple to the brand new yet enchanting, charming, one might say "revolutionary", religion known, quite unpredictably, as Zanchentism. It's like Zen, only not.
  • Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #921 on: January 25, 2013, 03:08:06 pm »
To take profits and wait for a pullback... or not?

My market virginity is showing :-\

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #922 on: January 25, 2013, 07:18:25 pm »
Got out of Apple on Dec 31st...haven't worked an American job this year, so no cap gains taxes and figured it'd need to go back up to something like $650 in order for me to break even after Uncle Sam's cut. Looks like a good call! A better call might have been to get out in the summer...but still, a 757% gain ain't so bad. So ends my only profitable long-term investment ever!

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #923 on: January 25, 2013, 07:26:45 pm »
To take profits and wait for a pullback... or not?

My market virginity is showing :-\

IMO, for sure. 

Market is so overbought and extended, a pullback is coming, don't think it'll be much 2-3% maybe, a little more upside, then we'll see a 8-10% pullback around the end of Feb. (That's my opinion on how things will unfold, what you do with it is your call obviously)

Offline Zanchent

• Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #924 on: January 25, 2013, 11:00:45 pm »
IMO, for sure. 

Market is so overbought and extended, a pullback is coming, don't think it'll be much 2-3% maybe, a little more upside, then we'll see a 8-10% pullback around the end of Feb. (That's my opinion on how things will unfold, what you do with it is your call obviously)

I just trimmed a bit and tightened stops!

I obvs agree about the short term pullback, down to 1475 would be very constructive. The loading up to be done @1475 is :lickin

There's alot of you out there in the '8-10% pullback' camp... may I ask if you have a fundamental basis for such projections, or is it just technical/cyclical?

I just think the economic fundamentals are too strong for any kind of signifigant pullback, at least until we hit the 2007 all time high.

EDIT: On a side, any thoughts on Herbalife? :P Getting exciting!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:05:39 pm by Zanchent »

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #925 on: January 25, 2013, 11:49:41 pm »
I just trimmed a bit and tightened stops!

I obvs agree about the short term pullback, down to 1475 would be very constructive. The loading up to be done @1475 is :lickin

There's alot of you out there in the '8-10% pullback' camp... may I ask if you have a fundamental basis for such projections, or is it just technical/cyclical?

I just think the economic fundamentals are too strong for any kind of signifigant pullback, at least until we hit the 2007 all time high.

EDIT: On a side, any thoughts on Herbalife? :P Getting exciting!

Here's the short term pullback levels to watch: 1490, 1485,  1475-70.

The upside targets are, 1549 then as you say, 1576.

The 8-10% pullback, and the timings, comes from my own cycle analysis. 

I disagree on the economic fundamentals, the strength right now has nothing to do with the economy, or earnings, which are still poor, it's all to do with liquidity & confidence, which can change very quickly.  In the last couple of days, whilst the indices continue to show strength, underneath, there are weaknesses starting to develop.  I track a fair few inter market relationships (such as small caps v S&P, emerging markets v S&P, bonds vs junk etc) and nearly all have started to show deteriorating relationships.

It's important to watch the euro and credit spreads, these are the "tells", as long as they remain strong, the US markets will remain strong.

I don't trade, or even look at individual stocks anymore, so I can't comment on Herbalife.

Offline Zanchent

• Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #926 on: January 26, 2013, 12:24:06 am »
I disagree on the economic fundamentals, the strength right now has nothing to do with the economy, or earnings, which are still poor, it's all to do with liquidity & confidence, which can change very quickly.  In the last couple of days, whilst the indices continue to show strength, underneath, there are weaknesses starting to develop.  I track a fair few inter market relationships (such as small caps v S&P, emerging markets v S&P, bonds vs junk etc) and nearly all have started to show deteriorating relationships.

It's important to watch the euro and credit spreads, these are the "tells", as long as they remain strong, the US markets will remain strong.

I'd say the strength towards the end of last year was to do with 'liquidity and confidence'... Right now, the jobs growth, housing recovery, a round of infrastructure investment(well, potentially) and of course, the Chinese recovery point to solid fundamental growth, for me. Earnings have been pretty good so far, I would say. I'm really liking the results we've seen from many consumer products co's - P&G, SBUX etc. If the Fed was to end QE late this year, as has been suggested, of course that changes everything. But that's just speculation.

Europe is so tough to read, though the market seems to be paying little attention. That said, I really liked the European banking news this morning and there's been some solid German data in the last two weeks.

As for Herbalife, I know! I wouldn't touch it like, it's just fascinating looking in from the touchline. I assume you've seen this - for anyone who hasn't, it is GOLD.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?play=1&video=3000143591

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #927 on: January 26, 2013, 07:03:13 am »
that was awesome   

Offline Zanchent

• Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #928 on: January 28, 2013, 12:51:13 pm »
verona pharma (VRP) is looking like it ready to boom (5.48p to buy) Have a look people  :)

anyone ones to make quick buck. invest in vrp today asap

it should go to 30p when the yanks wake up

i brought at 8p

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=292161.msg10153137#msg10153137

Bud Fox is a red?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #929 on: January 28, 2013, 01:45:12 pm »
Question: if I win my employment support allowance appeal I would be due some arrears.  Not a great amount but at least £500.  I was thinking I could try making use of some of it in the markets but I haven't a clue if that's even enough money to get started?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #930 on: January 28, 2013, 01:53:40 pm »
Any helpful articles/sites/tips for a beginner looking to enter the game?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Zanchent

• Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #931 on: January 28, 2013, 03:27:18 pm »
Question: if I win my employment support allowance appeal I would be due some arrears.  Not a great amount but at least £500.  I was thinking I could try making use of some of it in the markets but I haven't a clue if that's even enough money to get started?

You could spread bet or trade CFDs with it.

Any helpful articles/sites/tips for a beginner looking to enter the game?

http://www.investopedia.com/

Lesson of the day: Stop losses are bad aids.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #932 on: January 28, 2013, 04:29:43 pm »
You could spread bet or trade CFDs with it.

I'll google CFDs, thanks. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #933 on: February 1, 2013, 05:23:38 am »
ford
what yall think?
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline Zanchent

• Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #934 on: February 1, 2013, 09:38:05 am »
ford
what yall think?

I was in it big time for a while but got out just before earnings - it was starting to underperform, largely due to the weaker Yen. If it can stay above 13 during this pull back, I might have a look again. If not, I'll be waiting for 11.85 to get back in.

The US auto/housing numbers have been so good due to all the cheap money around, how long is that going to last is the question.

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #935 on: February 1, 2013, 02:26:03 pm »
I was in it big time for a while but got out just before earnings - it was starting to underperform, largely due to the weaker Yen. If it can stay above 13 during this pull back, I might have a look again. If not, I'll be waiting for 11.85 to get back in.

The US auto/housing numbers have been so good due to all the cheap money around, how long is that going to last is the question.
hjadn't thought about the money supply being thaat big a factor thanks!
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #936 on: February 1, 2013, 05:04:19 pm »

according to this morning, cheap money till xmas ;P

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline Zanchent

• Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #937 on: February 7, 2013, 10:39:02 am »

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #938 on: February 9, 2013, 04:36:45 pm »
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #939 on: February 23, 2013, 10:29:33 pm »
Anyone trade gold around here?

Also, where's El C these days?!
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #940 on: February 24, 2013, 05:07:48 pm »
Also, where's El C these days?!

Banned a fair while back

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #941 on: February 24, 2013, 06:19:40 pm »
Had a look at CFD's, they're certainly intriguing.  I'm a bit wary though, given how the markets currently are; am I wrong in thinking the essential simplicity of CFD's also makes them a tad inflexible?

Popcorn's Art

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #942 on: February 24, 2013, 07:46:45 pm »
Banned a fair while back

Ah, shame.

Had a look at CFD's, they're certainly intriguing.  I'm a bit wary though, given how the markets currently are; am I wrong in thinking the essential simplicity of CFD's also makes them a tad inflexible?

Be wary of the leverage effects- can clean you right out if you go big and get it wrong. Keep a mind on "equivalent" position you'd have in the underlying and how a $1 move's going to effect P&L either way.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline muyuu

• Google Groomer. reddit remain campaigner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #943 on: February 24, 2013, 08:00:22 pm »
Anyone around here has bitcoins?
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #944 on: February 25, 2013, 11:28:27 am »
Ah, shame.

Be wary of the leverage effects- can clean you right out if you go big and get it wrong. Keep a mind on "equivalent" position you'd have in the underlying and how a $1 move's going to effect P&L either way.

I'm not too up on this sort of thing - I kind of though buying shares was simply a case of shelling out the cash and if they went down, not to worry 'cause you could just sit on them and sell them when the price recovered.  CFDs seem to lock you in, which could prove damaging when the contract is up.

As I wont have a lot of cash to risk I'm not sure what to do for the best?

Popcorn's Art

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #945 on: February 25, 2013, 06:55:05 pm »
I probably wouldn't mess around with CFDs/spreadbetting if you don't have the cash to risk. Or, at least just put small positions on after calculating an "equivalent" position in the cash share. And they wouldn't lock you in, you could have a stop loss/close the position to mitigate it; the value of the contract changes as the underlying does. Be very wary of the size you trade though- you can seriously leverage yourself up with them and they can be painful if it moves against you.

Offline Zanchent

• Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #946 on: February 27, 2013, 06:17:30 pm »
Anyone trade gold around here?

Indeed.

I found the divergence that developed between gold and the miners towards the end of last year very interesting. I've been long gold, short gold miners. So, long GLD, short GDX. Has yielded over 5%.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #947 on: March 3, 2013, 12:46:35 pm »
Some food for thought!

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #948 on: March 3, 2013, 02:42:03 pm »
Anybody here trade with Halifax Share Dealing?

I mainly trade Eurobonds and PIBS and had a friend at my brokers who used to get mid market price for me as they have wide spreads. Not bothered about getting that now but just want to make sure I can trade onlline.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #949 on: March 3, 2013, 03:04:13 pm »
I believe we'll see one more push up this week, but the market is nearly ready for a significant pullback

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #950 on: March 3, 2013, 03:06:21 pm »
This one is very interesting

Offline Zanchent

• Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #951 on: March 4, 2013, 10:52:07 pm »
Indeed.

I found the divergence that developed between gold and the miners towards the end of last year very interesting. I've been long gold, short gold miners. So, long GLD, short GDX. Has yielded over 5%.

I hate to brag but... 3% today. :wave

Smart money is going into defensive names now. There's no doubt we're going to pull back, the question is when. I still think we can go a bit higher, but I don't want to throw about exact levels. Alot of people are talking about 1550, I don't think I'd want to be long above there.

Then again, Collymore is getting bullish...

Stan Collymore ‏@StanCollymore
NYSE near record breaking day. Recession, what recession....

:wave

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #952 on: March 5, 2013, 06:42:23 pm »
Anybody here trade with Halifax Share Dealing?

I mainly trade Eurobonds and PIBS and had a friend at my brokers who used to get mid market price for me as they have wide spreads. Not bothered about getting that now but just want to make sure I can trade onlline.

I use Iweb share dealing which is owned by Halifax and have no problems, very low charges too.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #953 on: March 5, 2013, 10:04:51 pm »
I use Iweb share dealing which is owned by Halifax and have no problems, very low charges too.

Cheers I'll give them a go.

Offline Zanchent

• Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #954 on: March 12, 2013, 10:38:13 pm »
Thought a few of you might be interested in this blog...started on Sunday. http://limitbreach.wordpress.com/

It's not mine BTW!

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #955 on: May 10, 2013, 03:29:46 pm »
Are we ready for a correction?  Got to be.

Offline halfpoundcheesy

• [insert witty comment]
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #956 on: May 11, 2013, 01:09:30 pm »
Much RAWK interest in AIM listed companies? Bit of a lottery, but interesting for a punt from time to time

Currently in INFA and MOS. Toying with BLVN if it drops any further.

Offline srs507

• Kopite
  • I'm scouse. Except for accent and location.
« Reply #957 on: May 13, 2013, 06:54:49 pm »
Ah investments, wish I could comment and/or invest my own money. Regulatory agencies wouldn't be too happy 8)
Games I've been to: 2011/2012 - Wolves (h), Man Utd (h), QPR (h), Villa (a), Wigan (a), Newcastle (h), Man City (a)
2012/2013 - Spurs (Friendly), Norwich (h)
2013/2014 - Newcastle (h)
2014/2015 - Olympiakos (friendly), Man City (friendly)
Not bad for an American eh?

Offline CB

• Kopite
  • Chi non salta della Lazio e'
« Reply #958 on: June 14, 2013, 10:26:41 am »
NYSE:RRC is doing great
Milan nel incubo!

E grazie a Dio che non sono Laziale!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #959 on: June 14, 2013, 12:42:28 pm »
Ah investments, wish I could comment and/or invest my own money. Regulatory agencies wouldn't be too happy 8)

It's all off the radar here.

Any tips ?