Author Topic: Ex-players in the media.  (Read 14041 times)

Offline neel2108

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the king.
Re: Ex-players in the media.
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2008, 05:16:59 pm »
Loves Lampard. obviously, as they're family
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrryWFt7SII

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"With one swing of his gifted right boot Steven Gerrard says, Champions League, Knockout Stage, Here we come!!"

Just can't get enough...........

Offline wickolfc

• Seriously Thick Feedback Tourist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "He's big an he's fuckin' ard"
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2008, 05:17:09 pm »
Redknapp might say Liverpool are his team but he always comes across to me as a huge chelsea fan.
Well being from down south and having a cousin that plays for them might be a huge reason.

Offline wickolfc

• Seriously Thick Feedback Tourist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "He's big an he's fuckin' ard"
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2008, 05:19:04 pm »
So people say that Rafa can't be criticised. Look at Emilyn Hughes,Steve MacMahon,McManaman and Grobelaar. They all criticised Rafa and people act as if they are so much more knowledgeable and so much more Red than these legends ::)
Rafa was only with us about 3 months before Emlyn sadly left us. And after 3 months he wasn't doing the best of jobs.

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2008, 05:22:09 pm »
Still nauseating wicko. Should keep it to himself if that's the reason

Offline FM King

• Windows Messenger? Never heard of it.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2008, 05:25:51 pm »
Rafa was only with us about 3 months before Emlyn sadly left us. And after 3 months he wasn't doing the best of jobs.

Sorry I mean Ronnie Whelan just confused the names :(

Offline Cork Red

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2008, 05:43:07 pm »
Do people really think Redknapp hates us?

Personally I don't think he hates us.

He's just become a SKY lapdog.

Put anybody in the same room as Richard Keyes 3-4 times a week and they'll quickly turn into a bullshit spouting moron.

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2008, 05:44:52 pm »
Personally I don't think he hates us.

He's just become a SKY lapdog.

Put anybody in the same room as Richard Keyes 3-4 times a week and they'll quickly turn into a bullshit spouting moron.

If they're still able to speak coherently at all!
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline Camina Camina

• Legacy Fan
  • Venga Chico's
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2008, 05:52:08 pm »

Hhhm, maybe the monkey boy is a unknowing carrier of a 'turn brain to porridge and talk shite' virus and infects all those that come into contact with him?
Borussia Park, Sud Tribune, Block 4 Rechts, Reihe 24, Platz 9

Tor in Gladbach!

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2008, 05:53:06 pm »
no i think he supports chelsea
Ok, why?
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline SingaRed

• Anny Roader
  • Mascherano, this guy should be your role model....
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2008, 06:00:42 pm »
So people say that Rafa can't be criticised. Look at Ronnie Whelan,Steve MacMahon,McManaman and Grobelaar. They all criticised Rafa and people act as if they are so much more knowledgeable and so much more Red than these legends ::)
Yeah,sometimes ppl dont see that these legends do love the club and they get irritated when Rafa fuck up his stuff like when he did at Reading. He just gave up when Reading took the lead and took out 2 of our main attacking threat. That was the game that lost the title for us. Sir SOB would have put gamble and try to at least get a point for the game, that is y the idiotic red face might be celeberating a double soon.

and also when Rafa choose dirk kuyt ahead of crouch and bellamy for the lone striker role for the UCL final last year. bellamy might have skinned the milan defend with his speed, crouch with his height. What did Kuyt do for the whole game other that score a late consolation, that was also after crouch came in.
The second is that we travel to Fergusons office before the season start and let him set up everything. So we can take it from there.

Offline therockbox

• Legacy Fan
  • Funklord
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2008, 06:02:40 pm »
He just gave up when Reading took the lead and took out 2 of our main attacking threat. That was the game that lost the title for us. Sir SOB would have put gamble and try to at least get a point for the game,
Not if he'd have been told he would be sacked if he failed to win the next game.

Offline Aaron89

• Main Stander
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2008, 06:19:37 pm »
Suprised no-one has mentioned Jim Beglin yet, he is so negative towards Liverpool its unbelievable. I particularly noticed it in the 1st leg semi against Chelsea. He's an idiot

Offline 2barsup

• Main Stander
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2008, 06:24:51 pm »
He has.

He is.

Isn't he?

Has he fuck!

Is he fuck!

Fuck! Is he?

Offline Camina Camina

• Legacy Fan
  • Venga Chico's
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2008, 06:31:35 pm »
Should of been an immense player though.

Too true, an immense amount of natural talent, really makes you wonder at what could have been if he had a decent mentor.

Tor in Gladbach!

Offline pink-radebe

• Anny Roader
  • Sharing milkshakes can spread germs.
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2008, 06:36:54 pm »
I don't have a favorite ex-player pundit, but I do have a least favorite ex-player pundit and that man is Jamie Frank Redknapp.

Bland. Daft. Dumb. Clueless. Confused. Foolish. Gullible. Ignorant. Impressionable. Incompetent. Inept. Moronic. Naive. Unaware. Unoriginal. These are some of the words I'd use to describe Jamie Redknapp.

I also think he's a Chelsea fan, but that doesn't matter.
Thank you for reading my signature.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2008, 06:42:04 pm »
You've got to love Thommo. He epitomises what we were all feeling on that great night just one month ago. I haven't laughed as much for ages.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib06W_tWkLA&NR=1

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2008, 06:42:38 pm »
Yeah,sometimes ppl dont see that these legends do love the club and they get irritated when Rafa fuck up his stuff like when he did at Reading. He just gave up when Reading took the lead and took out 2 of our main attacking threat. That was the game that lost the title for us. Sir SOB would have put gamble and try to at least get a point for the game, that is y the idiotic red face might be celeberating a double soon.

and also when Rafa choose dirk kuyt ahead of crouch and bellamy for the lone striker role for the UCL final last year. bellamy might have skinned the milan defend with his speed, crouch with his height. What did Kuyt do for the whole game other that score a late consolation, that was also after crouch came in.

Thats all ifs an buts and we could still have lost the game even if those players did play an people would still be whinging.  What we'd all do to be able to see into the future eh!

But the point is some of these legends do have extremely negative views or do come out with opinions based on 'facts' that are not facts at all.  See Whelan and his comments, and Souness with rotating Torres.  Both have based their opinions on wrong information, particularly Whelan.  The thing is some pundits do seem to do this more often than Andy fuckin Gray.  Personally like i said before there are pundits that I think talk more sense than others, being Rush, Dalglish, Barnes (altough he doesn't state his opinion that much) and even Collymore comes out with a lot of things that make sense.  Maybe because these where involved in the game as it progressed a lot more than say, Smith or Whelan.  But some ex reds dont half chat some shit!

Sayin that so do a few fans on these boards!!

Offline Stef08

• Main Stander
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2008, 07:45:30 pm »
Is it me or are all pundits on TV against us i never find anyone who praises us and when we do win its brushed under the carpet wheras when we lose everyone loves it especially sky and bbc.

Offline The Nihilists

• Bovvered
  • Legacy Fan
  • I will cut off your Johnson
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2008, 07:51:22 pm »

How the fuck can you say one game in November cost us the title? I'm sorry, football doesn't work that way. If we'd have got the goal we deserved at Man City, we'd have had two extra points. And so on.

The fact is, we had to win a game four days later or we were DEFINITELY out of the Champions League - and that's a fact, unlike your supposition.

Once we were 3-1 down, the best we could have got was a point - IF we were lucky. United lost at Bolton and West Ham after we lost at Reading. We lost the league because Rafa was undermined in public by the owners and for about two months there was too much shit surrounding the team.

Offline carra1892

• Kopite
  • G+H, fucking c*nts
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2008, 08:16:31 pm »
Because we are talking about the media and I don't know where to say this, so I am saying this here. FFS O'neill is so fucking annoying, really what an idiot. He is constantly talking shit. Now again he was talking shite about Rafa putting a 15 mill price tag on his head. He is so furious in the media about Liverpool and Benitez. What an idiot that man is, so fucking annoying. And perhaps he has a little point, but FFS what a fucking idiot he is. Sorry, wanted to say that  :P

Edit: With the 15 mill price tag I mean Crouch of course :P
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 08:20:56 pm by carra1892 »
Dutch Red Patrick

Offline BootleRed

• Kopite
  • Put yerself in my shoes for a change!
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2008, 09:26:27 pm »
Sorry if this has been posted as I havent time to read the whole thread but........
ther'es a piece in todays mail about ITV wanting Carra on their Euro 2008 panel.

Would make it a bit more watchable for me.
We're not English -We are Scouse.

Offline am-mel-b-ahh

• Main Stander
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2008, 09:33:51 pm »
Ok, why?

frankie plays for them and jamie's a cockey england head

he was a good player who suffered with injuries, and i always felt sorry 4 him especialy when he lifted the fa cup with robbie and sami in a shirt and tie

Offline STORMTROOPER

• RAWK Pedagogue.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2008, 09:36:36 pm »
You've got to love Thommo. He epitomises what we were all feeling on that great night just one month ago. I haven't laughed as much for ages.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib06W_tWkLA&NR=1

proper love thommo.

the pride and passion he has when he talks about liverpool fc makes me proud.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2008, 09:43:35 pm »
Redknapp is a shithouse of the highest order.

Never lets an opportunity to slag off Rafa pass away. Hes always muttering on about rotation, zonal marking and changing formations. A clueless Chelsea loving idiot who hates Rafa no doubt about it.

:tosser
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline am-mel-b-ahh

• Main Stander
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2008, 09:47:29 pm »
love thommo and aldo

byist but i don't care, everything so man u and chelsea byist over the years.

all i hear is bullshit

the biggest problem with pundits is they wont say chelsea r good becoz of money

i fuckin hate chelsea

Offline STORMTROOPER

• RAWK Pedagogue.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2008, 10:13:59 pm »
i agree, redknapp hates rafa with a passion.  everything he says about rafa is frowned upon with his own personal dislike for the man, probably enhanced by sitting with that c*nt andy gray and that shithouse of a presenter richard keys.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2008, 10:30:43 pm »
To be honest these ex players are paid to be pundits and they are supposed to be kind of neutral when talking about a game. I know they sometimes upset us with some of their comments that we don't agree with but I think they all, including Redknapp, want us to do well. Everyone's got their opinions but I think the one bloke who really is the least loyal of the lot is Jim Beglin. He's always spouting fucking shite about us and seems to enjoy it while Redknapp sometimes spouts shite but clearly isn't enjoying it. As for Souness he sometimes says negative things but only because he is being honest. He really still has his heart at Liverpool, you can see that every time he speaks. He is just doing his job as a pundit. And as for Thommo and Kenny, they fucking hate our club don't they  ;D

Offline 1770ben

• Anny Roader
  • Fay ce que vouldras
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2008, 10:44:04 pm »
Fucking hell......... I didn't really think that there would be this many replies to what was , initially,only  a semi-thought.

From reading the replies, its fairly clear that either we have a problem with "the media " as whole ~( be it tabloids,broadsheets,tv,internet etc) , or the problem is ( and I hate to use this word for obvious reasons) the "bitterness " of some ex-players.

My question now is at what point should ex-players remain loyal? In fact , just be they once played for us do we demand an unnecessary loyalty from them? For example, lets ,use Ray Houghton ( who I happen to have a lot of time for as a pundit) , now Ray had a very successful time at Lfc but aside from the success he also played for Oxford, Villa, etc etc, so do we think that we should demand a monopoly of "support"from him??
Fay ce que vouldras.

Offline flynnyyy

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2008, 10:46:03 pm »
Fucking hell......... I didn't really think that there would be this many replies to what was , initially,only  a semi-thought.

From reading the replies, its fairly clear that either we have a problem with "the media " as whole ~( be it tabloids,broadsheets,tv,internet etc) , or the problem is ( and I hate to use this word for obvious reasons) the "bitterness " of some ex-players.

My question now is at what point should ex-players remain loyal? In fact , just be they once played for us do we demand an unnecessary loyalty from them? For example, lets ,use Ray Houghton ( who I happen to have a lot of time for as a pundit) , now Ray had a very successful time at Lfc but aside from the success he also played for Oxford, Villa, etc etc, so do we think that we should demand a monopoly of "support"from him??

yes

;)
"We are focusing on supporting our manager"
women are totally insane, it's science.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2008, 10:48:47 pm »
If they're pundits then they need to air balanced views, not personal vendettas as we see from that wankstain Redknapp.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2008, 10:52:37 pm »
Cant understand why some on here think Redknapp hates Benitez. A lot of the stuff he says may be uniformed but at the end of the day he is just giving his opinion.
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline 1770ben

• Anny Roader
  • Fay ce que vouldras
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2008, 10:56:57 pm »
If they're pundits then they need to air balanced views, not personal vendettas as we see from that wankstain Redknapp.

Cruiser. . . . the problem is that whichever network they are appearing on , that particular network will always have specific agendas (not necessarily anti nor pro lfc) , so what importance does "the pundit" actually hold.  Thommo will probably never again appear on a live game as a pundit, he will just be on Sky sports news in the studio. The pundits they choose for the live games I'm guessing are chosen for "audience increasing " reasons rather than what they actually say.
Fay ce que vouldras.

Offline neel2108

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the king.
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2008, 11:07:48 pm »
I dont mind if an ex player criticises the team, that would defeat the purpose of a pundit otherwise. Its that alot of the "Pundits" nowadays spout the same recycled shit thats printed in the tabloids and from Richard Keys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrryWFt7SII

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"With one swing of his gifted right boot Steven Gerrard says, Champions League, Knockout Stage, Here we come!!"

Just can't get enough...........

Offline 1770ben

• Anny Roader
  • Fay ce que vouldras
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2008, 12:17:54 am »
I dont mind if an ex player criticises the team, that would defeat the purpose of a pundit otherwise. Its that alot of the "Pundits" nowadays spout the same recycled shit thats printed in the tabloids and from Richard Keys

neel2108. . . . you talk about " the same recycled shit thats printed in the tabloids" . . .  . . lets be honest, how much of what the tabloids " report" are purely taken from fan websites like Rawk , or lfc.tv or football 3657483 etc etc. I know this is slightly off the topic of the thread, but I think its important for us to understand where most of "punditry" comes from, which is in the main tabloid, rumour, hearsay etc. A classic example was all the rumour about Sammy Lee coming back.  Now, I read on Rawk from  a "reliable source " that this would happen. The next thing I knew was that it was on ITV teletext qouting " someone close to the club". Perhaps the Sammy story is a wank example, but you can see how rumours may (and do) sneak their way into the  national press. As a story/rumour builds over the course of , lets say, a fortnight and then there is a live game involving whoever it may be, then the "pundit" will always be dragged into the bizarre set of questioning about something that may not even be true.  (hope that makes some sort of sense:))
Fay ce que vouldras.

Offline Dan86

• Kopite
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2008, 01:06:40 am »
John Barnes at the top for me, he shows that you can summarise & analyse without either sucking up to people of slating others.

Hard to put my finger on why, but Beglin has always got on my nerves. I think it's his delivery. he regularly spouts shite with the tone of someone who is talking facts. It's not that he seems anti Liverpool, just that I seem to disagree with most of his "insights."
"if you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later"
- Bob Paisley

Offline Camina Camina

• Legacy Fan
  • Venga Chico's
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2008, 06:43:38 am »

Light blue paper and stand well back topic mate :D

From reading the replies, its fairly clear that either we have a problem with "the media " as whole ~( be it tabloids,broadsheets,tv,internet etc)

Or perhaps they have an issue with us? 

The problem is that most of what is spouted in the UK Football media is hyped up bollocks, regurgitated opinion and very little facts.  :no

Look at the Keegan thing of the last few days, he states the blindingly obvious in that, things have changed since the last time he was in charge of Newcastle and they are not going to be able to seriously compete with the top four without spending a shit load of money and that the fans will have to accept this.   Next thing you know the media goes in to meltdown and he is dragged in for 'crisis talks' with the owner.

My question now is at what point should ex-players remain loyal? In fact , just be they once played for us do we demand an unnecessary loyalty from them?

No, we cannot expect unconditional loyalty from ex-players, but we should expect them to present objective rationalised views in the media rather than persuing personal agendas

Or if they do have an agenda to at least be honest and admit it.

Tor in Gladbach!

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2008, 06:57:27 am »
Although not a pundit, but a co-commentator, Paul Walsh seems all right.

What has happened to Ian St. John?

I enjoyed reading his rants about GH at the end of GH's reign.
I thought it was entertaining.

And Toshack was great co-commentating during the CL final in 05.
But he doesn't do much punditry work.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:59:25 am by alfonso »
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2008, 08:05:41 am »
McMahon is just clueless as a pundit. He's misinformed, and just listens to the shite spouted by Sky Sports.

Still loves the club. Gets all emotional during a 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. Always predicts Liverpool to win. But generally is pretty clueless.

Agree. There was an incident where he faught with a bailing analyst who informs about Market analysis for coming games. Wher we were in that bad patch where we drew a lot of matches, the anal(yst) was having a go at Liverpool and it boiled the blood of poor ol maca. I though if he would have been on field with him, he wouldn't have walked on his feet for rest of his life. he seems to always predict liverpool win but then gets frustrated when we draw or don't do as expected and is not that pleased to praise Scums. But yes as you said they know fuck all about club management like all other pundits.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.

Offline grego

• Main Stander
  • Més que un club!
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2008, 11:25:45 am »
So let me get this straight, ex-players who are now pundits who give unbiased views on matches we play in are c*nts?

exactly!

all the ex-players still hold the club dear. you know jamie is hurting when he watches lose or play shite, etc.......not his fault he speaks some bollox. he has a natural affinity to chelsea cos of his cousin, but you don't just lose/forget a big chunk of your life, he's ok.

souness = decent pundit, shite manager

can't believe ray houghton is getting stick. he's prob the most balance pundit i know, doesn't just go with the flow. has his views and explains them and sticks by them - exactly what a pundit should be.

Offline 1770ben

• Anny Roader
  • Fay ce que vouldras
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2008, 11:43:18 am »
Ray Houghton made an excellent point on Talksport the other day. The topic of conversation was Rangers and the back log of games that they have, and the fact that its scandelous that games can't be re-arranged. Houghton mentioned that a similar backlog of games happened to Liverpool immediatley after Hillsborough, but never was it considered to try to rearrange games : "We just got on with it."
Fay ce que vouldras.