Author Topic: Ex-players in the media.  (Read 14055 times)

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ex-players in the media.
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2008, 08:22:20 am »
It would be interesting to hear about any other ex players who regularly , or occaissionly, pundit in countries around the world. For example, does Craig Jouhnston ever appear on Australian tv covering the premier league ? Or.......... does Jari in Finland???
Well here in Asia we get to hear Steve McMahon on ESPN/StarSports.

Just before the Chelsea home game last season, McMahon took us around Anfield. Away & Home changing rooms and then down the the tunnel to the pitch. He paused to touch the 'This is Anfield' sign and he just got all choked up. Even after all this time and having done it so much for real it was moving to see.

He still believes the American owners provided money for Rafa, as opposed to RBS and is just uninformed as to how the game has moved on since he played. As a pundit he's more heart than head. Almost nothing gets in the way of him confidently predicting Liverpool wins. He's a fan who doesn't go beyond the general wisdom spouted by Sky and his employers. He's a typical modern pundit. Great player though.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2008, 08:32:11 am »
McMahon is just clueless as a pundit. He's misinformed, and just listens to the shite spouted by Sky Sports.

Still loves the club. Gets all emotional during a 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. Always predicts Liverpool to win. But generally is pretty clueless.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline vader90

• Legacy Fan
  • The eternal optimist - Everything happens for good
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2008, 08:51:12 am »
Well here in Asia we get to hear Steve McMahon on ESPN/StarSports.

Just before the Chelsea home game last season, McMahon took us around Anfield. Away & Home changing rooms and then down the the tunnel to the pitch. He paused to touch the 'This is Anfield' sign and he just got all choked up. Even after all this time and having done it so much for real it was moving to see.

He still believes the American owners provided money for Rafa, as opposed to RBS and is just uninformed as to how the game has moved on since he played. As a pundit he's more heart than head. Almost nothing gets in the way of him confidently predicting Liverpool wins. He's a fan who doesn't go beyond the general wisdom spouted by Sky and his employers. He's a typical modern pundit. Great player though.

McMahon is just clueless as a pundit. He's misinformed, and just listens to the shite spouted by Sky Sports.

Still loves the club. Gets all emotional during a 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. Always predicts Liverpool to win. But generally is pretty clueless.

That's absolutely spot on.
Roll up, roll up for the Liverpool FC circus, in town every fucking week.

Offline 1770ben

• Anny Roader
  • Fay ce que vouldras
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2008, 09:42:35 am »
Dare I say, John Barnes? Never lets us down. :thumbup

good call. . . . . he's the worlds worst presenter, but as a pundit he's actually surprisingly good, also backs us to the hilt!!
Fay ce que vouldras.

Offline the red rebel

• Legacy Fan
  • our eyes hath seen the glory
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2008, 09:43:50 am »
does barnes say anything bad about anything? anyone? 

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2008, 10:04:52 am »
 redknapp reminds me of that guy off the fast show that just agrees with the last person that says anything

keys: "liverpool were shite today"
redknapp: yes they were"
thommo: "no,liverpool were great today"
redknapp: "thats what i meant"

fucking arse kissing c*nt

Offline Camina Camina

• Legacy Fan
  • Venga Chico's
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2008, 10:22:48 am »
Stanley Victor Collymore

Probably the best pundit on 5Live, generally talks a lot of sense, just needs to drop the Nando was rotated too much shite.

Borussia Park, Sud Tribune, Block 4 Rechts, Reihe 24, Platz 9

Tor in Gladbach!

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2008, 10:25:20 am »
Jamie is alright.  His problem is he wants to put himself over as a fair intelligent bloke - if he came over as a rabid Liverpool fan, he wouldn't keep his job.  He does say "Liverpool are my team" but he's got to try and be a bit balanced.  I don't mind him - although he has fucked me off on occassion...but he's young and desperate to impress - give him a break.
Why not, Sly have plenty of Avid Arsenal fans, plenty of Chelsea fans, plenty of United fans, even a fair few Spurs fans.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline Emo Phillips

• Master of his domain. Enjoyed a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk. Resident of MILF Island.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2008, 10:28:57 am »
Whelan is a tit of the highest order.

Thinks Rafa spent as much as Mourinho. With that kind of insight, he probably thinks Gareth Gates is a musical genius and that Heidi Klum is a man.
KRAMER: "I'm at 1st and 1st. Wait a minute, how can a street intersect into itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe!"

Offline Slave

• shit joker - shit vicki vale too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2008, 10:35:20 am »
Thinks Rafa spent as much as Mourinho. With that kind of insight, he probably thinks Gareth Gates is a musical genius and that Heidi Klum is a man.

He has.

He is.

Isn't he?
It is most odd.

Offline Emo Phillips

• Master of his domain. Enjoyed a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk. Resident of MILF Island.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2008, 10:39:18 am »
He has.

He is.

Isn't he?

Cheers, Ronnie   ;D
KRAMER: "I'm at 1st and 1st. Wait a minute, how can a street intersect into itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe!"

Offline PETERBEARDSLEY

• Anny Roader
  • I only talk bollocks every other day
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2008, 10:39:34 am »
Alan Kennedy the only man I know who can waffle for 5 minutes and say nothing. I call him  'THE SPARROW' because he sits on the fence so often.

When the Mancs phone in Century FM and have a dig at LFC  he just takes it because he is to thick to think of any rebuttal. He is about as sharp as a ten year old butter knife.
He also always sticks up for Parry. However it is impossible to hate him because he is that thick he is funny and also a nice bloke.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 10:42:33 am by PETERBEARDSLEY »

Offline Slave

• shit joker - shit vicki vale too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2008, 10:44:35 am »
It is most odd.

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2008, 10:48:33 am »
david fairclough,always raves about us

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2008, 11:04:23 am »
Whelan is a tit of the highest order.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
He'd be right on both counts.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline Camina Camina

• Legacy Fan
  • Venga Chico's
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2008, 11:14:56 am »
You say that like it's a bad thing.
He'd be right on both counts.

Where is your proof that Gates is a muscical genius or Heidi Klum is man?

I want evidence!
Borussia Park, Sud Tribune, Block 4 Rechts, Reihe 24, Platz 9

Tor in Gladbach!

Offline flynnyyy

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2008, 12:33:10 pm »
Dare I say, John Barnes? Never lets us down. :thumbup
took the words right out of my mouth
"We are focusing on supporting our manager"
women are totally insane, it's science.

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2008, 12:46:21 pm »
Houghton is good. Balanced, but usually backs the club.

Don't agree with that, Houghton is extremely negative.
anyone know what actually happened to ribery's face?
Just a routine tackle by Skrtel

Offline *

• Friend of Obelisk.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2008, 02:00:58 pm »
So if Jamie or Macca just say out whatever they feel instead of buttering it because of loyalty, they're c*nts but when Thommo and McMahon sprout sweetened totally unrealistic nonsense but things we like to hear they're top blokes.

This is exactly how it was with Hicks and Gillett. They just say whatever we wanted to hear and we have people here thanking God in their posts for the best owners we can ever hope for.

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2008, 02:04:45 pm »
So if Jamie or Macca just say out whatever they feel instead of buttering it because of loyalty, they're c*nts but when Thommo and McMahon sprout sweetened totally unrealistic nonsense but things we like to hear they're top blokes.

This is exactly how it was with Hicks and Gillett. They just say whatever we wanted to hear and we have people here thanking God in their posts for the best owners we can ever hope for.

Agree, it indicates a sheeplike mentality which hasnt got us very far and may have contributed in some ways to us falling off the pace in relation to man U and not winning a title for so long

People are allowed to be able to think for themselves, some of the criticism made isnt because they are c*nts, it's because they are honest and dont like what they are seeing sometimes...blind fan loyalty of the likes of Thommo is all well and good but sometimes some criticism needs to be taken on board

From time to time they are badly informed and wrong, but it isnt usually due to bitterness, more often it's from being out of touch with the modern game and methods

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2008, 02:09:31 pm »
took the words right out of my mouth
Oh it must have been when you were kissing me.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2008, 02:12:24 pm »
The problem isn't that they're overly negative (in the main, anyway), it's that they spout banal drivel that a three year old could come up with, whilst the bad ones also tend to jump onto the most recent bandwagon and then repeat it every five fucking seconds even if it's utterly wrong.

eg.
" X is a top, top player"
"If Y just played his best team every week until they all drop dead, they'd be really good."
" Z's best position is in the middle.  He's a top, top player. But he should play in the middle.  Because he's a top, top player."

When was the last time there was a decent bit of analysis on any bloody football program?  MOTD2 seems the only one that actually tries to do it properly.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2008, 02:22:30 pm »
For me (From their comments about us) (Not an exhaustive list - just some off the top of my head)

Great Pundits Ex-Players/People conected with the club

Kenny Dalglish
Phil Thompson
Gerard Houllier
Roy Evans
Alan Hansen
John Aldridge
Alan Kennedy
Jan Molby
Phil Neal
Kevin Keegan
Ian Rush
John Barnes

Decent Pundits Ex-Players/People conected with the club

Graeme Souness
Stan Collymore

Not my favourite Pundits under any stretch of the imagination (Great on the pitch shithouses as pundits)

Ian St. John
Tommy Smith
Jamie Redknapp
Mark Lawrenson
Ronnie Whelen
Ray Houghton
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline flynnyyy

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2008, 02:23:01 pm »
sssshhhh! Nobody supposed to know! ;)
"We are focusing on supporting our manager"
women are totally insane, it's science.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2008, 02:23:22 pm »

:D :D

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2008, 02:29:34 pm »
So let me get this straight, ex-players who are now pundits who give unbiased views on matches we play in are c*nts?

JFT96 - YNWA

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Dan86

• Kopite
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2008, 02:33:02 pm »
In any case i'd like to see Biscan given a slot on MOTD. Whenever there's some bollocks spouted about how good Lampard or Rooney is, he could jump up on the desk and swing Gary Linekar around his head shouting "IGOR SMASH"

Ha ha, brilliant, had me in bits. Someone needs to wipe that smug grin off his face. On maybe Biscan could bitch slap him every time he makes one of his smart arse quips
"if you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later"
- Bob Paisley

Offline Hong Kong Phewy

• Main Stander
  • Athens day out
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2008, 02:46:31 pm »
Steve McMahon can be a bit of a twat on STAR SPORTS, from Singapore. I think and when he does their equivalent of Football Focus he can reach a audience of 50 million plus. So Lawrenson on the BBC does not come close.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 02:49:28 pm by Hong Kong Phewy »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2008, 03:07:19 pm »
So let me get this straight, ex-players who are now pundits who give unbiased views on matches we play in are c*nts?

No. You have not got that straight.

0/10

See me.

Offline Cochise

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2008, 03:09:26 pm »

No. You have not got that straight.

0/10

See me.

Yeah, I see you and I raise you!
JFT96 - YNWA

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2008, 03:11:21 pm »
Only ones i can stand are Kenny, Barnes and Collymore. The rest for the most part are just the same as them bellends sitting in the studio on Soccer Saturday.

Soccer Saturday, Soccer AM. Whats the deal there like, i thought it was called football as any Englishman will remind you.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2008, 03:18:26 pm »
Yeah, I see you and I raise you!

I doubt that - I'm an unfeasibly fat bastard.

Offline scousepower

• Legacy Fan
  • A Child of The Rafalution
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2008, 03:19:33 pm »
the man united match highlighted how much of a c*nt redknapp talks us down when mascherano was sent off ANDY FUCKIN GRAY of all people was defending him and what he did saying it was showing passion in the game whilst redknapp was tlkin aload of bollocks
'Hi Paul im from The S*n' 'Im from the Earth, now fuck off'

Offline Cochise

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2008, 03:20:09 pm »
I doubt that - I'm an unfeasibly fat bastard.

;D
JFT96 - YNWA

Offline wickolfc

• Seriously Thick Feedback Tourist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "He's big an he's fuckin' ard"
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2008, 03:23:45 pm »
I think Redknapp is alright meself.

Offline kopk1w1

• Loved the freedom, hated the responsibility.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2008, 03:49:52 pm »
Stanley Victor Collymore

Probably the best pundit on 5Live, generally talks a lot of sense, just needs to drop the Nando was rotated too much shite.

Always been decent when I've heard him as well, real sense without any real agenda.

Should of been an immense player though.
"Hands up who knows what way we're kicking ?"

(Rafa Benitez – Half time.
Ataturk Stadium. Istanbul.
25th May 2005)

Offline am-mel-b-ahh

• Main Stander
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2008, 04:50:49 pm »
redknapps a chelsea fan

aldo's class

Offline am-mel-b-ahh

• Main Stander
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2008, 05:01:36 pm »
Do people really think Redknapp hates us?

no i think he supports chelsea

Offline FM King

• Windows Messenger? Never heard of it.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2008, 05:08:12 pm »
So people say that Rafa can't be criticised. Look at Ronnie Whelan,Steve MacMahon,McManaman and Grobelaar. They all criticised Rafa and people act as if they are so much more knowledgeable and so much more Red than these legends ::)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 05:24:32 pm by FM King »

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2008, 05:15:04 pm »
Redknapp might say Liverpool are his team but he always comes across to me as a huge chelsea fan.