Author Topic: Ex-players in the media.  (Read 14054 times)

Offline 1770ben

• Anny Roader
  • Fay ce que vouldras
Ex-players in the media.
« on: May 10, 2008, 12:40:58 am »
They all have their liitle quirks I suppose. For example, Thommo is legendary. . . in complete contrast Jamie Redknapp seems to hold a grudge about us for some reason. Do you think that its part jealousy that he was never a part of a really successful team, whereas Thommo was?

I find it fascinating how ex-players discuss the present LFC side in the media. For example, as much as  lot of people dislike Alan Hansen's punditry, he always seems to talk about LFC with a sense of pride , whereas Lawro is quite happy to remind eveyone of how well LFC did when he played for us before launching into scathing attacks on what has gone wrong since.

Ray Houghton is another ex-player who , when pushed into a corner, will defend us to the hilt whereas Mcmanaman  will take any opportunity to slag us off.

Perhaps we should start a " Ex-Player-pundit-Fantasy-league" for next season where ex-players gain or lose points for either talking sense / shite in the national media? Who would win?

Fay ce que vouldras.

Offline neel2108

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the king.
Re: Ex-players in the media.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 12:43:29 am »
Redknapp has fucked me off so much this season and what happened at Old Trafford confirmed that he is just sky's lapdog nowadays and nothing more.
Love Aldo! ;D Think he should be given big wages and more exposure to the rest of the world!!1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrryWFt7SII

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"With one swing of his gifted right boot Steven Gerrard says, Champions League, Knockout Stage, Here we come!!"

Just can't get enough...........

Offline 1770ben

• Anny Roader
  • Fay ce que vouldras
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 12:51:20 am »
I haven't come across a LFC fan who Redknapp hasn't fucked off to be honest. Quite bizarre really. I think its gone right to his head. I walked past him a few weeks ago in Mayfair on the other side of the road and he had that look of " don't even fucking think of recognizing me. . . let alone coming over for an autograph " Cock.
Fay ce que vouldras.

Offline CaptainHindsight?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 12:53:34 am »
Good thread idea.

Thommo is by far the best. Redknapp is a c*nt.

I am astonished by Whelans latest comments.
Also Houghton doesn't always take our side.
Souness when on RTE is always sticking up for us.

Offline 1770ben

• Anny Roader
  • Fay ce que vouldras
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 12:56:24 am »
Good thread idea.

Thommo is by far the best. Redknapp is a c*nt.

Also Houghton doesn't always take our side.
Souness when on RTE is always sticking up for us.

Agree that Houghton doesn't always take our side, which I think is the sign of a good ex-player-pundit. Was also surprised by Ronnie's comments. . . very unlike him .
Fay ce que vouldras.

Offline wickolfc

• Seriously Thick Feedback Tourist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "He's big an he's fuckin' ard"
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 12:57:01 am »
Aldo an Thommo are the best.

Offline neel2108

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the king.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 12:57:50 am »

which comments?

"With one swing of his gifted right boot Steven Gerrard says, Champions League, Knockout Stage, Here we come!!"

Offline 1770ben

• Anny Roader
  • Fay ce que vouldras
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 01:01:07 am »
which comments?

From what I can gather he said that Rafa should be sacked for making poor decisions and under performing!!!
Fay ce que vouldras.

Offline a former tribune of the plebs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 01:04:00 am »
Houghton is good. Balanced, but usually backs the club.

In any case i'd like to see Biscan given a slot on MOTD. Whenever there's some bollocks spouted about how good Lampard or Rooney is, he could jump up on the desk and swing Gary Linekar around his head shouting "IGOR SMASH"

Offline neel2108

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the king.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 01:04:05 am »
From what I can gather he said that Rafa should be sacked for making poor decisions and under performing!!!

You're right, that is really unlike him, should know better really, opinion is one thing, but outlandish ridiculous statements like that are just a bad idea, especially with the position our club is in at the moment. How recent are these comments? If anybody has a link or something, would be very grateful!

Offline neel2108

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the king.
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 01:05:34 am »
In any case i'd like to see Biscan given a slot on MOTD. Whenever there's some bollocks spouted about how good Lampard or Rooney is, he could jump up on the desk and swing Gary Linekar around his head shouting "IGOR SMASH"
If only the BBC had your creativity, I might still watch MOTD ;D 

Offline 1770ben

• Anny Roader
  • Fay ce que vouldras
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 01:07:32 am »
[quote author=J.N.Reed link=topic=219878.msg4312434#msg4312434 date=12103778

[/quote]

Quite the funniest thing I've heard/read today.

Perhaps Skyrtl could join Igor and just stare at Alan Shearer without saying a word:)

Fay ce que vouldras.

Offline neel2108

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the king.
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 01:12:19 am »
Quite the funniest thing I've heard/read today.

Perhaps Skyrtl could join Igor and just stare at Alan Shearer without saying a word:)

Would love to see Skrtel sitting in a Sly Sports studio with Redknapp and watch the c*nt squirm as he confronts his own mortality.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 01:12:39 am »
The ex-reds whos opinion I always agree with and Love what they say are Rush and Dalglish.  I cant recall a wrong or poorly researched word coming from them and always think they know what they are talking about.  Maybe with Rush being one of the legends who played most recently and as the league evolved into what it is with the media and with Kenny managing in the same period.

I Love Aldo but he comes in the same Bracket as Souness, Hansen and Tommy Smith who all still Love the club but are prone to the odd moment of spouting shite.  E.g Souness saying Torres gets rested to often.  I still respect them but dont always agree with them.

Then you slowly go down the ladder and you reach the likes of Lawrenson and Redknapp who can piss me off at times!

An then Ronnie Whelan says something.  Fuck me!  Liverpool have spent the same amount as Chelsea under benitez.  Fuck me.  Cos we have £30 million pound strikers playing week in week out, let alone sitting on the bench along with £24 million winger as well as the rest!!

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 01:15:17 am »
You're right, that is really unlike him, should know better really, opinion is one thing, but outlandish ridiculous statements like that are just a bad idea, especially with the position our club is in at the moment. How recent are these comments? If anybody has a link or something, would be very grateful!

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=219803.0

Offline 1770ben

• Anny Roader
  • Fay ce que vouldras
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 01:19:21 am »
Would love to see Skrtel sitting in a Sly Sports studio with Redknapp and watch the c*nt squirm as he confronts his own mortality. quote]

Definateley.

On a different note, it's interesting to hear that Souness sticks up for us on RTE , whereas he doesn't generally on tv in England. Now, this can only be for one of two reasons. He either has made a conscious decision to have , perhaps, differing view points for different networks, or  ( and this is more likely) lets be honest footballers aren't the sharpest tools in the box, so its probably safe to say that the directors and producers of these live games ( who probably are the sharpest tools int he box) can engineer to a certain extent what they want someone to say . Only die hard partisan ex-players like Aldo and Thommo may be immune to this??!!
Fay ce que vouldras.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 01:21:25 am »
Houghton, Whelan, Souness, Redknapp?
Who's worse?
There's only one way to find out...
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline wickolfc

• Seriously Thick Feedback Tourist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "He's big an he's fuckin' ard"
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 01:22:18 am »
Who's worse?
I think Souness is good when it comes to Liverpool. Always sticks up for us and stays positive stuff.

Offline neel2108

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the king.
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 01:25:41 am »
Cheers macca007, just read it.
That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've read, it stinks of something, just dont know what. I hope the words have been twisted, just so I can retain respect for him.
Mourinho spending the same as Rafa??
Well I suppose we can throw Ronnie Whelan into that Redknapp bracket for now, at least until he redeems himself.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 01:25:57 am »
Who's worse?

Personally I like souness and think he still loves the club, just think his opinions can be misguided at times, as they are often regurgitated views from the media who chat shit as we all know.

Offline neel2108

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the king.
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 01:28:58 am »
Personally I like souness and think he still loves the club, just think his opinions can be misguided at times, as they are often regurgitated views from the media who chat shit as we all know.

Agree with that, sometimes he says the right things, and comes out in defence of the manager. I remember his defence of Rafa using Sissoko and Alonso in the midfield with Gerrard out wide, arguing against the masses that at the time, Sissoko's intensity was vital.
Every so often he does come out with silly things, like the whole rotation shit and not playing Torres every week.

Offline 1770ben

• Anny Roader
  • Fay ce que vouldras
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 01:32:24 am »

I think that Souness has improved vastly as a pundit over the last year or so , especially regarding LFC. His opinions have far more balance and justification to them now.

Fay ce que vouldras.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 01:41:37 am »
Who's worse?

FIGHT!!
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 01:44:32 am »
Who's worse?

Ex player pundit celebrity deathmatch?

Offline 1770ben

• Anny Roader
  • Fay ce que vouldras
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2008, 01:46:44 am »
It would be interesting to hear about any other ex players who regularly , or occaissionly, pundit in countries around the world. For example, does Craig Jouhnston ever appear on Australian tv covering the premier league ? Or.......... does Jari in Finland???
Fay ce que vouldras.

Offline 1770ben

• Anny Roader
  • Fay ce que vouldras
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2008, 01:48:56 am »
Ex player pundit celebrity deathmatch?

Fucking hell.............what a thought. The idea of Redknapp sat on an opposite sofa to Lawro??!?!? It would be carnage.
Fay ce que vouldras.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2008, 01:50:06 am »
Do people really think Redknapp hates us?
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline cornishred1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Come home Rafa!
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 02:26:15 am »
SOS member no- 5073
If I live to be a hundred and Liverpool bring in genius managers who win Quadruples and Quintuples for the club, I'll always point to Rafa as the one who meant the most to me.

Offline Rotation

• fuck u. Rory's biggest fan.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina is a Scouser...
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 02:40:49 am »
Tbf you can't expect every ex-player to be like Thommo. You can't really expect them to be biased towards us everytime they are on. It's the Redknapp shit that sickens me tho. Being unbiased doesn't mean you have to kiss Key's ass every chance you get. Fuckin twat.
ynwa

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 02:57:42 am »
Tbf you can't expect every ex-player to be like Thommo. You can't really expect them to be biased towards us everytime they are on. It's the Redknapp shit that sickens me tho. Being unbiased doesn't mean you have to kiss Key's ass every chance you get. Fuckin twat.

Keys often sets up the question to Redknapp with an already pre-determined agenda - and Jamie is either so excited he can't wait to start talking (talking shite), or too thick to realise he's been fed a line and starts yapping on in detail to agree with what had just been said by Keys.

Haven't heard anything from Redknapp to disagree with a Keys statement - or pull up or correct Keys if something sounds shite...

Too few 'expert pundits' will give their own opinion - or differ from Keys' statements - the one's that do (Dalglish etc) don't get asked back that often, and certainly don't get anywhere near the time to spout off like Redknapp and the other agenda-agreee-ers does.

ps - anyone got the link to Dalglish puuling Keys up on some of his comments whe n Kenny was last on Sky?
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline chanti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2008, 04:07:59 am »
I think Redknapp is an emotional pundit.
Bet you guys a million he would rave about Rafa and the team if we were on a winning spree.

I too get pissed of Rafa sometimes, but hey I am not famous and nobody give a hoot what I think and I am also a emotional pundit when it comes to liverpool and that is because Liverpool is dear to me.

Lawro did come out and basically told the Yanks to fuck off in a dimplomatic manner.

Loved these guys as players and still will.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2008, 04:18:21 am »
Souness loves the club ??? How he is a egotistical bellend aswell. Never have I heard a positive thing from him unless its something he can't mask with negativity like our CL win etc.

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2008, 04:54:24 am »
Whelan is my biggest let down was my hero as a  kid with out a  shadow of  a doubt,failed as a manger and the only thing that keeps him in commentating is him taking the piss out of current team,you could add Houghton also but he's not half as  bad as  Ronnie.

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 05:18:50 am »
I think Souness is good when it comes to Liverpool. Always sticks up for us and stays positive stuff.
Same as, at least he lets you know exactly how he feels.  On the other hand, Whelan is a c*nt.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2008, 07:50:46 am »
I wasn't too pleased with recent comments from Ronnie Whelan.

http://www.gulfnews.com/sport_extra/world_...t/10211626.html

Liverpool stalwart Ronnie Whelan believes that Rafa Benitez’s days at Anfield are numbered as The Reds tumble out of the Champions League following a titanic struggle against Chelsea last week.

The Showtime pundit and Liverpool great is not “100 per cent” convinced the Spaniard is the right man to lead Liverpool to success next year. Instead, he would like to see former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho at the helm.

“Rafa’s not won a trophy this season,” says Whelan, whose own days as a midfielder at Anfield in the 1980s glory years were littered with trophies. “He has been quoted many times as saying ‘judge me at the end of the season’, well it’s the end of the season and his squad simply isn’t strong enough.”

Whelan believes Benitez has made bad decisions.
“When the Americans [co-chairmen Tom Hicks and George Gillett in 2006] came in, they gave Rafa a lot of money to spend on players.

“But he obviously didn’t get the right players — the results say so. Jermain Pennant, Alvaro Arbeloa, Lucas Levia and Ryan Babel — I don’t think they are good enough to get Liverpool where they want to go. So should they give him the chance to spend another £40 million (Dhs 290m) and try and get the right players?”

Whelan points to Benitez’s baffling decision to compile a dossier going back four years of Chelsea striker Didier Drogba’s theatrics on the pitch prior to the Champions League clash as an example of strange choices made by the Spaniard.

When the big man from the Ivory Coast scored his first goal of the night from an acute angle to make the score 1-0 (2-1 aggregate), he gleefully ran the length of the touchline to slide in front of the Liverpool bench in celebration.

“People are saying it may have motivated Drogba to score those two goals, but honestly, I don’t think so,” Whelan says.
“I don’t think he needed motivation in the semi-final of the Champions League. I really don’t know why Rafa decided to do that before the game. There were plenty of times in the past when he could have done it if he’d wanted to. I don’t think it was a good idea.”

The game saw Chelsea start with an away-goal advantage following the first leg at Anfield when defender John Arne Riise inexplicably tried to head a low-ball clear and found his own net.

With the score tied at 1-1 on aggregate both sides had everything to play for.

Then Drogba’s goal in the first half put a rather flat-looking Liverpool under more pressure with the aggregate score 2-1.
But the Reds came out fighting after the break with the knowledge that a single goal at Stamford Bridge would put them right back in the fight burned into their minds.

And that goal came 20 minutes into the second half courtesy of nifty footwork from Fernando Torres in the box to level the score 2-2 on aggregate.

With full-time approaching fast, Chelsea defended with all their might aware that another away goal from Liverpool would kill their hopes of reaching a first Champions League final.

Extra-time saw Michael Essien’s joyous celebrations cut short when his bullet-like shot was disallowed for offside but salvation came in the shape of a penalty awarded to the Blues after Sami Hyypia tripped Michael Ballack in the box.

A brave Frank Lampard, grieving the recent death of his mother, stepped forward to slot in a text-book penalty making the score 2-1 to Chelsea (3-2 on aggregate). And less than 10 minutes later, Drogba slotted home another goal to make it 3-1 (4-2).

Refusing to admit defeat, Liverpool kept fighting and Babel, on for Fernando Torres in the second half of extra time, who was apparently suffering a hamstring injury, hit a 30-yard shot which found the top corner.

The game finished 3-2 to Chelsea with the Blues winning 4-3 over the two legs and Liverpool unable to stage a miracle fightback.

Whelan has nothing but praise for the way a grieving Lampard, wearing the black armband of mourning, delivered a sterling performance for his team and took that penalty.

“It shows tremendous bottle to be able to do that,” he says. “When you think about what’s gone on for him and his family. Probably before the game he said to the manager that he wanted to play and do it for his mother, but it takes something extra to step up and take that type of penalty.

“You might have expected him to blast it and hope for the best, but he placed it calmly and that showed great professionalism and presence of mind.”

Chelsea’s win is a result that Whelan, even with all his affinity for Liverpool, believes that Avram Grant’s men richly deserved.

“Chelsea would have been strong enough on the night to take them through to the final anyway, even without that away goal,” he said.

“Liverpool got their away goal too which they felt that they needed and played a lot better in the second half, but Chelsea just seemed to have more conviction.”

With the trophy cabinet sadly bereft of silverware for the 2007-08 season, Whelan says Liverpool’s decision-makers need to think carefully about where they are headed.

“Everything needs to be looked at now,” he says. “We don’t know if the American owners will be there next season or if the Dubai group [Dubai International Capital] will be the new owners.

“Whoever is there will need to decide if they have confidence in Rafa. Personally I don’t.”

And he believes that Liverpool fans, who haven’t been able to celebrate a league title since 1990, won’t care who is in charge providing they spare enough cash to buy new players capable of propelling the club back to their former glory.

“I doubt the supporters will mind who the owner of the club is as long as they are winning trophies. If they give money to the manager and the manager spends it wisely, that’s all the fans care about.”

So if Steven Gerrard et al need a fresh start, whom would Whelan like to see in charge?

“I think Mourinho would be very good,” he says. “Look at the players that he brought to Chelsea. He spent the same amount of money that Rafa did and those players are in the Champions League final now.

“He might be a bit unpopular with some people, but if your team is winning, you don’t care if a few people don’t like your manager,” Whelan said.

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2008, 07:57:11 am »
That article is littered with so many inaccuracies it's laughable.
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2008, 08:06:37 am »
I haven't come across a LFC fan who Redknapp hasn't fucked off to be honest. Quite bizarre really. I think its gone right to his head. I walked past him a few weeks ago in Mayfair on the other side of the road and he had that look of " don't even fucking think of recognizing me. . . let alone coming over for an autograph " Cock.

Bloody hell, how did his face say all that!?!

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2008, 08:14:17 am »
Do people really think Redknapp hates us?
No, he just loves himself more.

I'm feeling pretty 'I told you so' about this Redknap bitch fest coz I never ever liked him in the first place. I'll never forgive the twat for seeing just enough of Paul Scholes' goal bound shot at OT to pull his head OUT OF THE WAY. He deserved a public stoning for that in my view.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2008, 08:14:28 am »
Jamie is alright.  His problem is he wants to put himself over as a fair intelligent bloke - if he came over as a rabid Liverpool fan, he wouldn't keep his job.  He does say "Liverpool are my team" but he's got to try and be a bit balanced.  I don't mind him - although he has fucked me off on occassion...but he's young and desperate to impress - give him a break.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2008, 08:14:46 am »
Dare I say, John Barnes? Never lets us down. :thumbup
SoS Membership Number: 387