Author Topic: Javier Mascherano  (Read 403129 times)

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Javier Mascherano
« Reply #800 on: November 21, 2007, 12:28:40 am »
Being a good midfielder.

Not sure about that Webster....

....if I was asked to pick one over the other, it would be impossible as they have two totally differrent styles of play. They have some similar attributes such and they both read the game superbly, I would even argue that positionally Masch is marginally better.

I would suggest that Masch will have to go some to get to Xabi's level of passing and reading the attacking game. Mind you, that is like saying you would have to go some to be as sucessful in "business" as Bill Gates. In saying that Masch has made some stunning little passes in his time, but probably needs to concentrate more when it comes to playing balls out of defensive positions.

Comparing the two is pretty tricky, but I think they are both top calibre midfielders and would not want to be without either.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Webster

• Kopite
« Reply #801 on: November 21, 2007, 12:31:10 am »
But they're different types of midfielder. Mascherano is better in the holding role, Alonso is at his best further forward. They're both superb players that we should be hanging onto.

Mascherano is only great in one role, Alonso is just great overall, thats the difference, Alonso has got so much more to his game that there should not even be a discussion about this subject.

Like I said a great player will not need to make too many tackles during a game because of his reading of the game, Alonso is this type of player and I would hazard a guess that Alonso wins the ball more often than Mascherano its just that its not as visible because of the different styles in winning the ball.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #802 on: November 21, 2007, 12:34:14 am »
Mascherano is only great in one role, Alonso is just great overall, thats the difference, Alonso has got so much more to his game that there should not even be a discussion about this subject.

Like I said a great player will not need to make too many tackles during a game because of his reading of the game, Alonso is this type of player and I would hazard a guess that Alonso wins the ball more often than Mascherano its just that its not as visible because of the different styles in winning the ball.

Jack of all trades, master of none???

That is a bit harsh on Alonso to be fair. But Alonso can not play the holding anywhere near as well as Masch. In saying that, Masch is even further away that Alonso in terms of offensive play. HOWEVER, that does not mean Masch is not as valuable as Xabi.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #803 on: November 21, 2007, 12:35:08 am »
But they're different types of midfielder. Mascherano is better in the holding role, Alonso is at his best further forward. They're both superb players that we should be hanging onto.

Stop stealing my reply you Plaigeristic bastard! ;)

Offline Webster

• Kopite
« Reply #804 on: November 21, 2007, 12:38:17 am »
Jack of all trades, master of none???

That is a bit harsh on Alonso to be fair. But Alonso can not play the holding anywhere near as well as Masch. In saying that, Masch is even further away that Alonso in terms of offensive play. HOWEVER, that does not mean Masch is not as valuable as Xabi.

Don't get me wrong I think Mascherano is a great player, but if I had to pick just one it would be Alonso every day.

Personally I think we should play both when everyone is fit.

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #805 on: November 21, 2007, 12:39:54 am »
Personally I think we should play both when everyone is fit.

Now that I agree with!

Champ Man alert!!!!

Someone the other day suggested the following which has me all excited!

Masch           Alonso

Babel                  Gerrard                   Kewell

Torres

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #806 on: November 21, 2007, 12:40:40 am »

By the way, the monster is starting against Colombia in 10 minutes on Sky Sports 1

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #807 on: November 21, 2007, 12:58:47 am »
By the way, the monster is starting against Colombia in 10 minutes on Sky Sports 1
Keep us updated during the match GusMcLean, or anyone else watching :)

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #808 on: November 21, 2007, 01:17:29 am »
Being a good midfielder.
A glib response that does you no favours in terms of an argument.  You can have the same argument about Gerrard and Alonso, or Maschereno and Alonso - i.e. who is a better midfielder. 

Maschereno is of proven quality on the international stage and is integral to the Argentinian national side in a midfield that is as talented as anyone's.  Alonso is not an automatic choice for Spain.  Does that prove who the better midfielder is?  No, they both have different qualities and are suited to different roles.  Indeed, their skills can be complimentary in certain line ups and formations as shown by Gus.  Neither is that a choice we have to make, Alonso and Maschereno are both ours and we should make sure we keep both for as long as possible.

As for the arguments about Sissoko's quality, I like Momo, and believe the stick he has received lately is unwarranted.  He is also the best pressing midfielder we have which is perfect for playing against teams who like to control the ball and the tempo, a la Barcelona.  As we try to make the transition from a team who is able to win the ball back and press technically better teams to one that controls the play and IS the better team, it may be that Momo's lack of quality in possession may count against him.  I have seen plenty of promise there and believe Momo is a top class performer who we should keep if we can.  But ultimately, I think he is at the back of the queue at the moment and may be considered are most saleable midfield asset in terms of value received and minimising the loss to the quality of the squad.

Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #809 on: November 21, 2007, 01:23:21 am »
Mascherano's gonna have a tough game now since that thick c*nt Teves got sent off?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #810 on: November 21, 2007, 01:25:34 am »
Tevez sent off .. anyone smell whiskey?

Neither player anywhere the ball, and Tevez had a kick at the Columbian guy's leg. Very dodgy.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #811 on: November 21, 2007, 01:27:04 am »

Neither player anywhere the ball, and Tevez had a kick at the Columbian guy's leg. Very dodgy.
It was nothing though was it.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #812 on: November 21, 2007, 01:33:03 am »
Messi messi messi

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #813 on: November 21, 2007, 01:34:06 am »

Masch is playing inside right, what a crap choice.....Gago the useless bastard or Masch to sacrifice!

Monster is running around too much for my liking!

Offline boca senior

• Kemlynite
« Reply #814 on: November 21, 2007, 01:36:50 am »
A superb player seldom needs to tackle because of his excellent reading of the game, he breaks up play instead, Alonso falls into this category.

This is true.

There was a stat last season that said Alonso won the ball away from the opposition more than any other player in the league.  And he did it without sliding in to tackles.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #815 on: November 21, 2007, 01:38:16 am »
Monster is running around too much for my liking!
Could not agree more. No chance of him starting against the black and white shat.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #816 on: November 21, 2007, 01:38:18 am »
Messi is a freak of nature.

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #817 on: November 21, 2007, 01:38:54 am »
This is true.

There was a stat last season that said Alonso won the ball away from the opposition more than any other player in the league.  And he did it without sliding in to tackles.

Whether that is the case or not, does not justify suggesting Masch is no better than Xabi.

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #818 on: November 21, 2007, 01:39:47 am »
Could not agree more. No chance of him starting against the black and white shat.

Hopefully Lucas and Gerrard will start.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #819 on: November 21, 2007, 01:45:38 am »
It was nothing though was it.

I didn't get a second look at it because the stream I'm watching it on is using some other channel's footage. For some reason there was no replay. What I saw was Tevez and standing behind the Columbia right back close to the touchline deep in the Columbian half. The ball was miles away and both were looking towards where the ball was being played across field, then all of a sudden Tevez just had a stab at the Columbian guy. Very much out of the blue.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #820 on: November 21, 2007, 01:48:27 am »
Hopefully Lucas and Gerrard will start.
I'd go for that myself and lets face it hes played in bigger games.

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #821 on: November 21, 2007, 03:51:33 am »
Mascherano is a world class DM, period.  Guys like him who has so many caps for a leading football country at his age, don't come by that often.

Mascherano wants to play for us, and only us in England and he wants to prove to everyone he can cut it in England, so his attitude is spot on.

Rafa wants him, and his performance on the pitch has proved that he adds more value to the team than Momo (which I rates, but I will pick Masch over him at this moment for the majority of the games).

He proved that he can stop the likes of Kaka, and to me Masch is like 'Kaka' when it comes to Defensive Midfield in the world.  And if we pay 37 million for Kaka, I don't think anyone will complain that we should save that 37 million for a CB and a winger, since we already have attacking midfielders like Gerrard / Benayoun.

He is THAT good.  As per if he is worthed 17 million, how much did Man Utd paid for Heagreaves?
We won it 6 times

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #822 on: November 21, 2007, 09:05:57 am »
So thats a good reason to use racial slurs?

Thats even before the racist crap.

What racial slurs? What racist crap?
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline the brad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #823 on: November 21, 2007, 10:07:54 am »

Just looked like he was trying to trip him up. The ref had his back to it and sent Tevez off on what the linesman told him, i don;t think he say to much of it either. Harsh sending off.
The Argies went down 2-1

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #824 on: November 21, 2007, 01:02:17 pm »
What racial slurs? What racist crap?

I was wondering the same thing... Spanish isn't a race as far as I'm aware.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #825 on: November 21, 2007, 01:05:33 pm »
I was wondering the same thing... Spanish isn't a race as far as I'm aware.

Well, technically a race just means a large collection of people sharing common language, history and culture. Not just ethnicity - not that any of that matters because all that was said is a quote from the fast show.

* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline mouse

• Main Stander
« Reply #826 on: November 21, 2007, 03:09:54 pm »
http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=484988

However, it is believed Liverpool have agreed for that £17 million fee to include the player’s wages over a five-year spell – beating off interest from Barcelona.

£17 million is totally worth if including wages
You'll never walk alone.

Offline Macedonian_Red

• NewsNow. Actually much later. And then probably wrong.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #827 on: November 22, 2007, 10:08:52 am »

He is worth that even if not including wages ...

The Scum bought Hargreaves and Carrick for that amount ...

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #828 on: November 22, 2007, 10:20:32 am »
http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=484988

Cant see it including his wages over 5 years at say 50k a week { 13 million ? }...may cover wages for the 18 months loan ?{about 3 million } so buying him for about 14 million, sounds about correct IMO.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #829 on: November 23, 2007, 10:10:45 am »
If money is an issue for getting Mascherano,  I believe it might be worthwhile to sell Sissoko in order to fund Masch's signing.  It is painful, but this is what you could do to make it possible. Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso, Lucas - suddenly this doesn't look and sound as bad if you consider there will be one less unhappy player to deal with. Unhappy that he is not getting enough games.....

Offline RedImpact

• Main Stander
  • 'rise of the phoenix'
« Reply #830 on: November 23, 2007, 10:57:22 am »
A club such as ours to let masch go to another club after his 18 months on loan here is a no-go ... especially considering how well his playing and with what were trying to achieve as a club ... its time to show ourselves and the world we really do mean business.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #831 on: November 23, 2007, 03:21:40 pm »
If we really are deserving of the title of the best team in England, we must sign Mascherano. No self-respecting club aspiring to be a champion would even consider letting someone like Masch go even when he's already here and committed to our cause. Sell Sissoko, sell Crouch, sell Carson, sell whoever it takes. Just sign Masch. And we shouldn't even have to have this discussion in the first place. Where's all the money gone?
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #832 on: November 24, 2007, 10:47:47 pm »
Saw this on TLW,
Originally Posted by dave u 
Also, Rafa doesn't have to find £17m to buy Mascherano in Jan. He negotiated the deal with Kia and it's £17m paid over 5 years.
Sounds like a fucking bargain if true.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #833 on: November 27, 2007, 08:59:58 pm »
Masch in Tesco Allerton Road tonight. Says he wants to stay, but not sure about it yet.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #834 on: November 27, 2007, 09:01:11 pm »
Masch in Tesco Allerton Road tonight. Says he wants to stay, but not sure about it yet.

oh really  ::)

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #835 on: November 27, 2007, 10:42:10 pm »
oh really  ::)
Whats that supposed to mean smart arse

Offline HiroProtagonist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #836 on: November 27, 2007, 10:43:38 pm »

Probably he means regarding Benitez future. If Benitez goes, he goes.

Offline Kop Kings

• Kopite
« Reply #837 on: November 27, 2007, 10:43:51 pm »
Whats that supposed to mean smart arse

he means that your talking...how do you say?...bollocks, no?

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #838 on: November 27, 2007, 10:52:33 pm »
he means that your talking...how do you say?...bollocks, no?
You serious......you think I'd post that if I didn't see him. Go fuck ya self mate, you don't' know me from anyone. It's always quiet on Monday & Tuesday night and that's when loads of them go and have done for years. I'm no bullsitter.

Offline berrno3333

• Taliban Arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Noodles i slipped",
« Reply #839 on: November 27, 2007, 10:57:01 pm »
Fantastic knowledge of footballers shopping habits there mate.

What was in his trolley.
An arsehole of the first order and proud of it.                                                                                   Founder member of the Popular front of Judea