Author Topic: Javier Mascherano  (Read 403995 times)

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
Re: Javier Mascherano
« Reply #720 on: November 19, 2007, 03:05:17 pm »
Lampard won rave reviews all because he had no dirty work because of Makelele, this year Fabregas is playing superb but need Flamini, who is having a stormer too to play in behind him

we can have all the attacking players we want but without a player like Masch if our midfield over commit we get into the relms of you score 4 so we will have to score 5

masch is by far the best player in the world at sitting infront of the defense and reading the game from there.

Many times he has been invovled in starting moves that leads to cahnces or goals by clever interceptions, grweat tackles or just being in the right place at the right time

With the quality of Masch in behind Gerrard it gives SG the chance to roam and play more of a free role at which Rafa has wanted him to for so long, hence dep[loying him on the right.

Look at all the great teams who have won something recently and the majority if not all will have a Mascherano type player and all of them want him.

Offline Aldridge 8

• Schizophrenic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #721 on: November 19, 2007, 11:42:06 pm »
With the quality of Masch in behind Gerrard it gives SG the chance to roam and play more of a free role
is alonso out then?

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #722 on: November 20, 2007, 12:24:16 am »
A Seven Nation Army couldn't hold him back.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #723 on: November 20, 2007, 12:45:15 am »
is alonso out then?

Question: Do you think Alonso can do everything Mascherano can do, as close to as well as he can do?

Offline Macedonian_Red

• NewsNow. Actually much later. And then probably wrong.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: November 20, 2007, 08:01:01 am »
is alonso out then?

No ... It just means we will see a lot more of 4-5-1 and 4-3-3 formation in the future ...

Offline ˇBasta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: November 20, 2007, 08:02:22 am »
I'm a big supporter of Momo (no shit you say) but if it came down to it and we had to sell him to fund signing Mascherano I would do it in an instant.

Players of Mascherano's calibre do not come around very often. He has the potential to be literally as good as it gets in his position.

That's exactly the way I see it.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #726 on: November 20, 2007, 10:51:42 am »
That's exactly the way I see it.

Indeed.  Considering that we need to shore-up other positions, I can see us selling a midfielder to make room for the sake of the balance of the team. Not because Sissoko is suddenly crap but because Mascherano is a great player and becasue we need the cash to buy a central defender and a forward.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #727 on: November 20, 2007, 11:56:45 am »
is alonso out then?

oh ok, well he can play every game can he? He can play as well as Masch at tackling can he?

put the glue down mate

Offline GRGW

• Boys Pen
« Reply #728 on: November 20, 2007, 12:13:16 pm »
Think Momo will be sold and Lucas promoted to fourth choice Center Mid. 

Rafa in the past has frequently played with 2 defensive minded center mids, so I think that Xabi and Masch will play together more often, especially big games, with Gerrard moving to the right or free role with one up front.

Offline red----bull

• Main Stander
« Reply #729 on: November 20, 2007, 12:26:41 pm »
I said and I repeat mascherano not worth even half of what they ask for is a good player but it is very limited classic defendar player .
i said he will be a good signing because hi is a good player. not for 18 millions .only time will tell.

Offline red----bull

• Main Stander
« Reply #730 on: November 20, 2007, 12:36:59 pm »
sorry mate. MOMO is musch better than MASCHERANO and is only 23 and he has only been a midfielder since he was 19 for fo··sakes. He was a forward for Auxerre before Rafa converted him to a holding midfielder at Valencia.

And he hasn't been just an average holding midfielder either. Ask Barcelona and Juve.

I am not going to be quick to call the end of Sissoko's development. Not when he has learned a new position so well in two foreign leagues at such high levels in league play and in Europe.

He's an outstanding athlete and young. We need to give him some time. MOMO is top class player....

Offline ˇBasta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: November 20, 2007, 12:39:34 pm »
Oh boy. You're gunna get it now.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: November 20, 2007, 12:41:45 pm »
sorry mate. MOMO is musch better than MASCHERANO

:lmao

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #733 on: November 20, 2007, 12:42:00 pm »
sorry mate. MOMO is musch better than MASCHERANO and is only 23 and he has only been a midfielder since he was 19 for fo··sakes. He was a forward for Auxerre before Rafa converted him to a holding midfielder at Valencia.

And he hasn't been just an average holding midfielder either. Ask Barcelona and Juve.

I am not going to be quick to call the end of Sissoko's development. Not when he has learned a new position so well in two foreign leagues at such high levels in league play and in Europe.

He's an outstanding athlete and young. We need to give him some time. MOMO is top class player....

The comments aren't wrong.... ... just about the wrong player.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline red----bull

• Main Stander
« Reply #734 on: November 20, 2007, 12:57:43 pm »

thanks for your very interesting comentary  ::)

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #735 on: November 20, 2007, 01:13:17 pm »

Okay...so what does this show? Tons of guys have switched positions before, Rooney used to be a keeper. Just because Sissoko managed to do it doesn't mean anything.

He wasn't a holding midfielder in those games, he was a destroyer who disrupted play. There's a huge difference.

Ball control and intelligent passing, two things Sissoko lacks and is so crucial for his position, is mostly innate talent. You can learn it, but it takes time. And we don't have that kind of time. Credit that he has adjusted to the English league, but then again so has Mascherano after years in South America. At least Momo had the benefit of European league experience, yet he's no better than Masch.

I do agree, he needs time. But hey, if Juve came a-callin' with a 10m bid for Momo, I'd snap their hand off. If they wanted Masch, I'd tell them to go to hell.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline CarlitoB

• [color=white]CT fucked about with in unoriginal manner.[/color] Likes to brew up a storm in a teacup... (no one died in the making of this CT)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: November 20, 2007, 01:21:39 pm »

Looks like you picked the wrong week to not quit sniffing glue.
"God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that."

Offline trezax

• Kopite
  • Fernando Redondo and Xabi Alonso in the middle
« Reply #737 on: November 20, 2007, 01:27:12 pm »
I do agree, he needs time. But hey, if Juve came a-callin' with a 10m bid for Momo, I'd snap their hand off. If they wanted Masch, I'd tell them to go to hell.

Exactly!! well said mate !!

Momo is a good player but he needs to go because we only need world class players in midfield. As simple as that !!
sorry mate. MOMO is musch better than MASCHERANO and is only 23 and .........

Sorry mate but i got to cut here because there is no point in keep reading what's following.

Just ask anyone anywhere in the globe who are the 3 best defensive midfielders in the world and they'll answer you the name of Mascherano, with surely either Essien or Makelele and possibly Gattuso. Anyway, the only certainty is Mascherano's name.

Offline red----bull

• Main Stander
« Reply #738 on: November 20, 2007, 01:28:11 pm »
Okay...so what does this show? Tons of guys have switched positions before, Rooney used to be a keeper. Just because Sissoko managed to do it doesn't mean anything.

He wasn't a holding midfielder in those games, he was a destroyer who disrupted play. There's a huge difference.

Ball control and intelligent passing, two things Sissoko lacks and is so crucial for his position, is mostly innate talent. You can learn it, but it takes time. And we don't have that kind of time. Credit that he has adjusted to the English league, but then again so has Mascherano after years in South America. At least Momo had the benefit of European league experience, yet he's no better than Masch.

i do not agree with your , but i do respect you opinion.
my honest opinion is i will not pay more than 8 millions for MASCHERANO.....

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #739 on: November 20, 2007, 01:30:22 pm »
I don't think anybody is arguing who the best defensive midfielder in the world is <Refer Fact>

But the real question is how much is the best defensive midfielder worth to Liverpool?

Imho, one of Liverpool's problems is the lack of drive from Midfield. We "control" the game but hardly ever do you see midfielders (or even forwards!) bomb into the box in numbers in anticipation of a cross/through ball.
If we are to keep 3 top class defensively inclined central midfield options in our squad, then we have to play with at least 2 defensive midfielders most games (as Rafa was wont to do at Valencia) to keep them ALL happy with enough playing time. But then, we need TOP quality goalscoring wide men (wingers/fullbacks)  to make up the lack of thrust from central midfield. And these don't come cheap.

The other alternative is to make do with our existing forward and wide men but sacrifice one of the defensive midfielders for a more offensive (goalscoring!) minded one, like Gerrard and/or Lucas ( at least positionally, to make up the numbers in and around the opposition box).

But it is difficult to part with the best defensive midfielder in the world. Esp when having him we can allow our attacking players to bomb forward with more certainty knowing he is back to cover.

Which is why I think Momo's days at Liverpool are numbered  8)

...that or we use the  18 million odd quid from Masch's non-purchase to get a quality creative wide player
Can't have your cake AND eat it.

...that or we are absolutely rolling in moolah and can keep BOTH Masch AND Momo AND get that quality creative wide player (I miss the Quaresma thread!) ;D

Cake, icing, cherry and eat!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 01:47:43 pm by macmanamanaman »
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: November 20, 2007, 01:33:51 pm »
I think Arbeloa and Aurelio have been performing admirably as attacking fullbacks, making up for our caution in the center of the park.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: November 20, 2007, 01:43:52 pm »

thanks for your very interesting comentary  ::)

If you genuinely think that, then there's no pointing saying anything. As you're wrong.

Very wrong.

Offline Istanbul Therapy Group

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll hear our famous noise
« Reply #742 on: November 20, 2007, 01:47:35 pm »
If anyone believes momo is a superior player in anyway to mascherano i fear for them.

Masc would walk into any team in the world, except if hayden mullins or reo coker currently occupy either of their CM berths
He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.

Offline red----bull

• Main Stander
« Reply #743 on: November 20, 2007, 02:01:35 pm »
If you genuinely think that, then there's no pointing saying anything. As you're wrong.

Very wrong.

I know what I am toking i'm Spanish that I live in spain. and for four years I look at the Latin American leagues and i no very well mascherano and in my opinion is a player who  personally I do not like nothing has nothing special. so defend and nothing else, this is my opinion

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: November 20, 2007, 02:02:50 pm »
Masc would walk into any team in the world, except if hayden mullins or reo coker currently occupy either of their CM berths

Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline red----bull

• Main Stander
« Reply #745 on: November 20, 2007, 02:03:12 pm »
I know what I am toking i'm Spanish that I live in spain. and for four years I look at the Latin American leagues and i no very well mascherano and in my opinion is a player who  personally I do not like nothing has nothing special. so defend and nothing else, this is my opinion

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #746 on: November 20, 2007, 02:11:13 pm »
Well I've seen him play and I know what I'm talking about.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #747 on: November 20, 2007, 02:11:24 pm »

do you do stand up?

Offline ˇBasta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: November 20, 2007, 02:13:10 pm »
I know what I am toking

All I know is it's hard stuff that you're toking.

Offline trezax

• Kopite
  • Fernando Redondo and Xabi Alonso in the middle
« Reply #749 on: November 20, 2007, 02:24:58 pm »
Mascherano is better than Sissoko and will always be.
There is no point talking about it. It just common sense.

How dare you say he is not ? Didn't you see Marseille game ? Didn't you see the World Cup ? Didn't you see the Chelsea game 2nd leg ? Didn't you see the CL Final ?? Do you watch American football or soccer ???

Offline red----bull

• Main Stander
« Reply #750 on: November 20, 2007, 03:12:47 pm »
Mascherano is better than Sissoko and will always be.
There is no point talking about it. It just common sense.

How dare you say he is not ? Didn't you see Marseille game ? Didn't you see the World Cup ? Didn't you see the Chelsea game 2nd leg ? Didn't you see the CL Final ?? Do you watch American football or soccer ???

yes. what is you point. my point his is a very ordinary player.
let's not argue .respet please eny body opinions

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #751 on: November 20, 2007, 03:15:46 pm »
I respect your opinion. Although it is wrong. So wrong in fact, that I can't respect it. Sorry. You idiot.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #752 on: November 20, 2007, 03:20:48 pm »
I've read some good 'uns today.

Crouch is worth 20 million

Sissoko is better than Mashcerano

True comedy this place.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Skillz

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #753 on: November 20, 2007, 03:30:17 pm »
Question: Do you think Alonso can do everything Mascherano can do, as close to as well as he can do?

Yes. Xabi is the better player.........so far.
Carra is Ours - So fuck off!!!

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: November 20, 2007, 03:32:45 pm »
Yes. Xabi is the better player.........so far.

I don't see the point in 'Player X is better than Player Y' arguments - particularly when Player X and Y belong to you, anyway - but who would you feel more secure with as a holding midfield player, Javi or Xabi? If you've got three brain cells or more, the answer will be Javi.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #755 on: November 20, 2007, 03:41:32 pm »
He was a forward for Auxerre before Rafa converted him to a holding midfielder at Valencia.
The reason he was converted to a defensive midfielder is because he didn't score enough goals to be a striker.

And if you really want to use your particular argument, then the same applies to Masch.  He started out as a striker but reaslised he wasn't good enough in that position.
"I believed them fellas."
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #756 on: November 20, 2007, 03:46:45 pm »
I respect your opinion. Although it is wrong. So wrong in fact, that I can't respect it. Sorry. You idiot.

Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Skillz

• Kopite
« Reply #757 on: November 20, 2007, 04:08:36 pm »
I don't see the point in 'Player X is better than Player Y' arguments - particularly when Player X and Y belong to you, anyway - but who would you feel more secure with as a holding midfield player, Javi or Xabi? If you've got three brain cells or more, the answer will be Javi.

I agree. If the sole description of the required player is "holding". Xabi does that job very well IMO and a lot more. Without going into detail on that point I will just point out I rate Xabi as our most important player.

MAsher plays better when he plays with Xabi, IMO as almost everyone does. I actually think Masher needs quality around him to do his best work. He has played really well with SG lately, and looks to be developing nicely as a more rounded player.

However Xabi and Stevie are our best Midfielders IMO. All 3 will play all tough games though!
Carra is Ours - So fuck off!!!

Offline red----bull

• Main Stander
« Reply #758 on: November 20, 2007, 04:38:25 pm »

You are tipico.you not have arguments and you insult to the real fans shame on you.
shame to a club liverpool.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: November 20, 2007, 04:40:12 pm »
club liverpool.

Drinks are freeeeeeeee.