Author Topic: Jill's gorra boss Worcester Combi! (aka the weather thread)  (Read 342984 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: It's Baltic out there... (RIP Summer)
« Reply #440 on: November 24, 2013, 08:32:10 am »
I can see why some people like the winter. Except for the de-icing the car in temps of -3 at 5:30am yesterday, the morning was lovely.

I had to run a load to Washington (Tyne and Wear), left Warrington at half 7, sun was just coming up, clear sky overhead, could see the contrails and the sun glinting off the planes. All the trees were a lovely mix of green and brown, all the fields were white with frost and there was that mist that sits just above the ground, looked ace.

Me, I cant wait for my holiday in Tenerife in 8 weeks time.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #441 on: December 5, 2013, 01:29:33 pm »
This is getting a bit ridiculous now. Just driven to local timber merchants and the bloke asked me to reverse into the bay where the wood was so we didn't have to trail across car park (I'm in my own car); I'm sat waiting for the fork lift to come out of the bay when a decent piece of wood flies from one of the scaffolds I've parked in front of holding the stuff and twats down on my bonnet.  Luckily no damage done.  Then near the office and a tree (albeit smallish) has come down on the other side of the road - a big respect to the joiners etc in vans who had obviously stopped and trying to saw the fucker up to get it off the road.  Hopefully it'll calm down soon.

Offline srs507

• Kopite
  • I'm scouse. Except for accent and location.
« Reply #442 on: January 1, 2014, 10:48:02 pm »
This weather can fuck right off, first blizzard of the winter tomorrow
Games I've been to: 2011/2012 - Wolves (h), Man Utd (h), QPR (h), Villa (a), Wigan (a), Newcastle (h), Man City (a)
2012/2013 - Spurs (Friendly), Norwich (h)
2013/2014 - Newcastle (h)
2014/2015 - Olympiakos (friendly), Man City (friendly)
Not bad for an American eh?

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #443 on: January 1, 2014, 11:04:51 pm »
This weather can fuck right off, first blizzard of the winter tomorrow

In the far north of Scotland perhaps? We need some fucking snow, the plants will start blossoming in a few weeks!

Offline srs507

• Kopite
  • I'm scouse. Except for accent and location.
« Reply #444 on: January 1, 2014, 11:56:20 pm »
In the far north of Scotland perhaps? We need some fucking snow, the plants will start blossoming in a few weeks!

Nah am out in New York right now...we had a few small storms the week prior to christmas but now we have two big ones this week
Games I've been to: 2011/2012 - Wolves (h), Man Utd (h), QPR (h), Villa (a), Wigan (a), Newcastle (h), Man City (a)
2012/2013 - Spurs (Friendly), Norwich (h)
2013/2014 - Newcastle (h)
2014/2015 - Olympiakos (friendly), Man City (friendly)
Not bad for an American eh?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: January 2, 2014, 12:02:32 pm »

Our daffodils are sprouting in the front garden. Dont want snow though, can't be arsed with Sky going into panic mode again when 2 flakes fall.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #446 on: January 2, 2014, 12:33:57 pm »
This winter has been proper shite, no snow not even that cold.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #447 on: January 2, 2014, 12:34:41 pm »
Its nice out to be honest. Not even had to get a coat out. Really strange.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #448 on: January 2, 2014, 12:38:26 pm »
Its been wet, windy and a bit chilly but no sign of ice anywhere in Liverpool over December. But I seem to remember the snow coming around March time last year so reckon it'll be the same this time around

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: January 2, 2014, 12:46:22 pm »
It looks nice out, i'm deffo walking home and getting a KFC on the way methinks.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #450 on: January 2, 2014, 06:23:17 pm »
Howling winds and crashing waves here, batten down the hatches there's a storm a brewing.

Offline ACLE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #451 on: January 2, 2014, 06:55:38 pm »
Thanks for the heads up KK. I'll nip out to tie up 'Paulo' me palm tree.
It's not where you've been, it's where we're going.

JUSTICE DELAYED IS JUSTICE DENIED but Justice is getting closer every day.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #452 on: January 3, 2014, 10:43:50 pm »
I've been in the UK for a little over 24 hours and already hate the winter. Not because of the temperature itself, but because have the day end at 5pm is freakin' depressing!
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #453 on: January 4, 2014, 02:01:10 am »
I've been in the UK for a little over 24 hours and already hate the winter. Not because of the temperature itself, but because have the day end at 5pm is freakin' depressing!
Yes, the weather is shit and depressing pretty much all year around. I actually don't mind bad weather in winter its supposed to be like this, but when we're putting multiple rainy weeks back to back in summer, that's what really gets my goat about this particular quadrant of the planet. 

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: January 5, 2014, 09:55:37 pm »
Its been wet, windy and a bit chilly but no sign of ice anywhere in Liverpool over December. But I seem to remember the snow coming around March time last year so reckon it'll be the same this time around

We had a lot of snow mid January. I was in Tenerife for two weeks when it came down and we were the last flight allowed back into Manchester before they shut the airport due to the snow.

Hardly had to defrost the car this winter which has been nice - I had to last night though, got back to the depot at 11pm, the parked trucks were starting to freeze over and the car had a decent cover of ice on it. Warmed up to about 3 degrees once I got on the M6/M62
« Last Edit: January 5, 2014, 10:00:38 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: January 5, 2014, 09:57:10 pm »
Awful weather outside. Windy and heavy rain, dreading going back to work tomorrow.

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #456 on: January 6, 2014, 12:27:19 am »
I'm in Chicago - you people don't know you're born

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #457 on: January 6, 2014, 02:02:09 am »
I'm in Chicago - you people don't know you're born

Too right, I am in St. Louis. Tomorrow's high is 5 degrees, with a low tonight of around -23. Just got 13 inches of snow today...
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #458 on: January 6, 2014, 02:37:47 am »
Too right, I am in St. Louis. Tomorrow's high is 5 degrees, with a low tonight of around -23. Just got 13 inches of snow today...

shocking here in the states. went jetskiing at Clearwater beach today :D

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #459 on: January 6, 2014, 03:54:26 pm »
predicted low in Virginia for tomorrow is -13C

love clearwater beach

remember getting totally wasted there one day

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #460 on: January 6, 2014, 03:56:05 pm »
Good luck to those fellow reds Stateside....stay warm.....or move to Arizona. ;)
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: January 6, 2014, 03:58:08 pm »
-16C in Chicago today, with windchills as low as -44C.

It feels really weird on your skin, like your nerves/brain can't even process that level of cold.

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: January 6, 2014, 03:59:00 pm »
Jeez, its really quite nice here. Sleeve up temps imo
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #463 on: January 6, 2014, 04:18:39 pm »
Has the whole of the USA been affected by this snowstorm? I recall the news saying West and Central states like Oklahoma, North Dakota, Virginia etc getting the brunt of it.

Britain would go into meltdown if we had sub zero conditions  :rollseyes
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Online exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: January 6, 2014, 04:32:45 pm »
Has the whole of the USA been affected by this snowstorm? I recall the news saying West and Central states like Oklahoma, North Dakota, Virginia etc getting the brunt of it.

Britain would go into meltdown if we had sub zero conditions  :rollseyes

Not all are affected by snow but current temps Nationwide are cold, some very,very cold - apart from Florida.  Arizona (where I am) has cold nights / sunrise but warms up into the 70's by mid afternoon.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #465 on: January 6, 2014, 04:33:27 pm »
By me the sea has spat out its rocks on top of the car park of my lovely beach. More of the same to come.

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: January 6, 2014, 04:38:32 pm »
Boiler in the new house ran out of oil on Friday, couldn't be refilled until yesterday, just in time for our high temps of -9 and low of -14 Celsius tomorrow. Two nights of -5 degree C temperatures in the house this weekend were enough for me.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: January 6, 2014, 04:58:45 pm »
Our boiler's kept in the loft and the weather last night's managed to damage it. Just isn't coming on. No hot water or heating for at least three days until we get someone to look at it.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #468 on: January 6, 2014, 05:59:58 pm »

It feels really weird on your skin, like your nerves/brain can't even process that level of cold.

im quite looking forward to it

I plan on going out in it tomorrow just to see how it feels

especially at night

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #469 on: January 6, 2014, 07:52:36 pm »
Our boiler's kept in the loft and the weather last night's managed to damage it. Just isn't coming on. No hot water or heating for at least three days until we get someone to look at it.
You wanna get yourself into social housing.  It'd be fixed within 4hrs. 
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Online exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: January 6, 2014, 08:09:29 pm »
My Mrs (American Airlines Cabin Crew) is stuck in Chicago O'Hare as the AV fuel has frozen :D

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #471 on: January 6, 2014, 08:12:30 pm »
By me the sea has spat out its rocks on top of the car park of my lovely beach. More of the same to come.

It looks like Craggy Island, now. *music* din din din din......
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online Mumm-Ra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: January 6, 2014, 08:21:53 pm »
Just checked the tracking number, and saw that a golf club I bought off ebay has been delivered to my house a few minutes ago. The FedEx driver must have been cursing me - a fkin golf club. Probably just launched it up the steps at my front door

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: January 7, 2014, 08:58:41 am »

Oh, please.

Whenever I talk to Americans they're always bringing in "the wind chill," as if it meant anything.  When it's below zero, you're wearing enough clothing that the wind makes very little difference anyway - go look it up.  It's just something the media over there use to make it sound colder than it really is.

Here in Siberia -16 would be an absolutely blazing hot day.  It hasn't been above -25 in weeks, and it won't be for probably another 2 months.  Somehow life goes on.

Can't believe the amount of crap that I've been reading over the past few days from American news sources.  Acting as if -30 is a major state emergency and you need to start burning the furniture to survive.  We have -40s for weeks on end here every single winter, and this isn't even the coldest place in Siberia.  Every time I think about complaining about the cold I remember the poor bastards up in Yakutsk and count my blessings.  I was up there 6 weeks ago on business and it was already -35 in November!
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: January 7, 2014, 10:43:41 am »
Damn right. I worked on building sites in snow in just a t-shirt but im fucked if i would bother if there was a wind blowing. Changes the score rather quickly...

Offline gerry7

• Anny Roader
« Reply #475 on: January 7, 2014, 11:11:04 am »
Oh, please.

Whenever I talk to Americans they're always bringing in "the wind chill," as if it meant anything.  When it's below zero, you're wearing enough clothing that the wind makes very little difference anyway - go look it up.  It's just something the media over there use to make it sound colder than it really is.

Here in Siberia -16 would be an absolutely blazing hot day.  It hasn't been above -25 in weeks, and it won't be for probably another 2 months.  Somehow life goes on.

Can't believe the amount of crap that I've been reading over the past few days from American news sources.  Acting as if -30 is a major state emergency and you need to start burning the furniture to survive.  We have -40s for weeks on end here every single winter, and this isn't even the coldest place in Siberia.  Every time I think about complaining about the cold I remember the poor bastards up in Yakutsk and count my blessings.  I was up there 6 weeks ago on business and it was already -35 in November!

Well it sure has made you grumpy

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: January 7, 2014, 03:26:28 pm »
Oh, please.

Ha - yer grumpy arse !  :wave ( although you have some points ).

Anyway , wind does play a factor .

Went to the Oldham game on Sunday and fairly mild going there . Different story on the way back to the car after the game though - fucking chilly it felt . I thought it had dropped to a very cool 4C or so , but the tempearture guage in the car showed it to still be a relatively mild 7C .

Therefore , conclusive proof that wind does affect how the temperature may feel.

Need any further scientificish evidence on weather phenomenon just give me a shout .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #477 on: January 7, 2014, 03:27:11 pm »
-14 celcius when I woke up this morning in Charlotte.

Fook me it's cold. No snow, sunshine, just freezing.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: January 7, 2014, 04:02:22 pm »
OK, fair enough, I am a bit grumpy in the winter.

And I didn't mean to imply that wind has no effect at all; it certainly has a massive effect on exposed skin.  It's just that when it's below -10 or so you're wrapped up in a parka/jacket with an outer layer that is windproof if you have any sense, so the wind is not penetrating and making much of a difference to your core.  It certainly doesn't make -16 feel like -44 (except maybe on your face if it's exposed)!

This is a really good article on the subject which explores how the "wind chill factor" number is determined, and as you can see it's a load of rubbish which is promoted by the media because it helps sensationalise an otherwise boring weather story.

A much bigger factor in how cold is perceived in my experience is humidity.  At below -25 or so, there's virtually no humidity in the air, which helps more than you'd think.  At -50 (about as cold as it ever gets here) my nose and cheeks will be absolutely frigid, almost painfully cold.  It hurts a little bit to take a deep breath because your sinuses don't heat the air fast enough for it to be body temp before it gets to your lungs.  However, if you're properly dressed your midsection can be fine, even toasty if you're active.

However, I remember days in Moscow where it would be -12 and fairly humid, and no matter how you're dressed you still feel cold, down in your core.  Those are miserable days.  I could easily believe that a place like Chicago at -20 with a lake-effect wind picking up humidity off the lake could be more uncomfortable outside than my corner of Siberia at -45, depending on how a person is dressed.

Interestingly, one thing I've gotten to know about that I would never have guessed before moving here is the temperature at which metal ceases to feel cold.  At -25, if you take your gloves off to get your keys out and then forget to put them on before grabbing the door handle, it feels cold.  At -30, you can't really feel it at all.  At -35, it feels like you've grabbed something on your stove that is boiling hot.  I mean it, it literally feels burning hot.  It's especially a problem when you want to fill up your car with petrol but can't take hold of the nozzle for more than a second (because Russian nozzles are all made of metal rather than plastic).
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: January 7, 2014, 04:35:07 pm »
Yes, American media blowing things way out of proportion, they shouldn't be reporting about record lows across a massive swath of the US that's affecting easily 100 million people. Breaking news, its colder in Siberia, that'll perk up peoples ears. You get used to the weather where you are, and when its significantly colder or hotter in an area that is not used to it or not prepared for it in terms of heating/cooling infrastructure it becomes a semi-big deal. Especially for the homeless and tens of millions living in poverty who are unprepared and unable to prepare for it.