Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 279325 times)

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
I think it's a mixture of the two, as it often is with etymological origins, that there's some truth in what a few historians have noted, but that it's come into the beer drinking nomenclature via the more common modern application - and as you say, that's pretty much the thought that pops to mind when you see 'session' and that's principally the way in which it's used in a modern context.

Interesting either way. Looks like they've a few interesting beers. In the UK, 'a session' has devolved into 'going on the sesh,' which no longer necessarily means just drinking, it's a term that's got a somewhat pejorative context now in that it means just going out and getting fucked up in a sustained manner, whatever the means, typically a mixture of drink and drugs, regardless of what that drink is.
Kudos for using the word nomenclature DS! One of my faves ;D

Talking of Liverpool breweries (as we weren’t) has anyone tried any Azvex yet? I’ve heard very good things.

https://www.azvexbrewing.com/blog/location-location-location/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 05:08:52 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Don’t normally go in for Brewdog stuff as I find it underwhelming, then there’s all the ethics surrounding buying their stuff. A client gave me a pack of Elvis Juice as a thank you and I must say it’s one of their better beers.

Still on a wheat beer kick, but sampling a lot less currently as I’m back running and cut down the drinking to just the weekends.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Caines Brewery will begin to restart brewing its beer to its original recipes next week with a few of those originally involved in the previous site involved.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Erdinger sold out in Sainsburys and Morrisons. What’s going on!?

Picked up a few alternative Weiss beers I’ve not tried ahead of tonight.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Erdinger sold out in Sainsburys and Morrisons. What’s going on!?

Picked up a few alternative Weiss beers I’ve not tried ahead of tonight.

There's a huge global shortage of wheat thanks to the war in Ukraine.... wouldn't surprise me if they are strugglng to get any to produce wheat beer.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
There's a huge global shortage of wheat thanks to the war in Ukraine.... wouldn't surprise me if they are strugglng to get any to produce wheat beer.
Well now I feel like a twat.

Makes sense though.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis

More likely, at this stage, to be supply chain issue than production issue. Many places still experiencing delays with delivery.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline stara

• Legacy Fan

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Leffe, go f**k yourself.

https://www.politico.eu/article/brewing-giant-ab-inbev-feels-the-heat-as-iconic-beer-gets-produced-in-russia/
Gang of twats. Love a Leffe but won’t be buying any while they still choose to brew over there.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
Far better Belgian beers around than the mass produced Leffe

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
100% true.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
True, but not many of them in the same blonde abbey style are available easily and relatively affordably from any supermarket. Though having said that, I tend to think bottled Leffe is a touch over-sweet (extra brewer’s sugar? More lactose/yeast content from the bottling process?) so only go for it when it’s on tap.

Definitely some better ones out there it’s just finding them. If anyone has bottle recommendations that the supermarket does please let me know.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Definitely some better ones out there it’s just finding them. If anyone has bottle recommendations that the supermarket does please let me know.
Loads of choice in the supermarket by me but then again that's probably because I live in Belgium... ;)

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
True, but not many of them in the same blonde abbey style are available easily and relatively affordably from any supermarket. Though having said that, I tend to think bottled Leffe is a touch over-sweet (extra brewer’s sugar? More lactose/yeast content from the bottling process?) so only go for it when it’s on tap.

2 nicker a bottle at the Asda.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

The champagne of Beer they call it in Belgium. I like it, but once in a while. It’s not an easy drinkable one like Leffe. It’s about 8% too isn’t it?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Asahi or Moretti are my go too beers at the moment.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
The champagne of Beer they call it in Belgium. I like it, but once in a while. It’s not an easy drinkable one like Leffe. It’s about 8% too isn’t it?
8.5 but smooth as can be.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/306651832
If you like a good tasty strong Belgian brew, try Karmeliet Triple - go carefully though eh?
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/306651832
If you like a good tasty strong Belgian brew, try Karmeliet Triple - go carefully though eh?
Yeah that’s the stuff, love a good Tripel. The Karmeliet is a really moreish abbey-style ale. Lovely.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Duvel is my everyday beer, when I was still in the cycling club we used to have a team from the Duvel brewery join us each year for a ride, good bunch of lads.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
I sampled a Heady Topper a couple of weeks back.It's a double IPA 8% ABV. It's still a big nope for me,just to much ultra grapefruit taste>i think it's supposed to be one of the best of it's style but never again.

Offline drquango

• Boys Pen
Not a fan of anhything too fruity.
Anything Cloudwater is an absolute must though.. IPA, DIPAs...
The Other Shore: https://www.curatorsofcraft.co.uk/cloudwater/the-other-shore @ 7.5% is a STOMPER! Bit heavy on price but some discount codes float around.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
One of my best mates runs a small craft bar, he managed to get me a box of 36 beers from Deya at trade price.  I haven't had many of their beers, but Steady Rolling Man is an absolute diamond of a beer.  They have a beer called 'Jason, Man United On The Telly' which I'd imagine is helpful getting through the 90 minutes.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
Its really hard to find good Belgian beer where I live. I came across a store near my house that sells some Belgian strong beer, and scored myself Westmalle Tripel and Straffe Hendrik Quadruple.

Westmalle is my second favorite brewery after Rochefort (never seen that sold in Canada) and the tripel is just so tasty and easy to drink.

Never tried the Quadruple from Straffe Hendrik but I have liked some of their other beers.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Great stuff Max, the Tripel is cracking. I’m lucky in that there’s a few good beer places in town but they charge for the good stuff.

It sounds underwhelming but Morrison’s has a reasonable selection of Abbey’s, Blondes and Belgian Tripels for anyone in the UK that way inclined.

I used to know a bloke who’d do beer runs on the ferry across the Belgium and stock up on Kasteel Rouge , Lindemans and some really obscure Belgian ales but he got sick of running bars and packed it in, which was a shame because he’d put me some good stuff aside.

I tried Aldi’s rip off of Hoegaarden at the weekend, really poor imitation with none of the typical strength of coriander and orange in the proper stuff. Aldi tend to be decent at recreating Lager’s and Pilsners but hopeless at Stouts and Belgians. They’re not bad beers they just don’t taste anything like that which they’re trying to imitate. Would rather pay the extra for the real deal.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Seen Sapporo mentioned here before. Tesco's was selling it and have stopped literally a week later.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
There are several places close to me that sell all sorts of Belgian beers...

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
There are several places close to me that sell all sorts of Belgian beers...
Over the border in France Pheeny?

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
Booths supermarkets in the North of England have an absurd selection of beers - German, Belgian, Craft Beers, Local Ales.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.

Is correct!!
https://www.visitflanders.com/en/themes/belgian-beer/belgian-beer-styles/belgian-trappist-and-abbey-beer/index.jsp

Check out the best of Belgium in the link above. There are twelve Trappist monastery breweries in the world of which SIX are in tiny Belgium!! Westmalle, Westvleteren, Achel, Chimay, Orval and Rochefort. I have tasted 3 of the 6. Westmalle, Chimay and Orval. Westmalle Dubbel one of my very favourites from my time working in both Vlaanderen and Wallonie (10 years later in the case of Wallonie.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 06:08:21 am by JohnnoWhite »
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Booths supermarkets in the North of England have an absurd selection of beers - German, Belgian, Craft Beers, Local Ales.
Used to live near a Booths in Lancaster (couldn’t afford to shop there) and looking now my closest is Knutsford or Ormskirk. Might pop in next time I’m in that direction.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Just got back from travelling around Italy - some great craft bars in Turin, one really good one in Bologna (but the landlord was an arsehole) and a fantastic one in Rimini. Don't usually think of craft beer in Italy but it seems to be growing.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
Used to live near a Booths in Lancaster (couldn’t afford to shop there) and looking now my closest is Knutsford or Ormskirk. Might pop in next time I’m in that direction.

I work in Knutsford and call in fairly often, couldn't do a weekly shop without taking out a small loan but it's good for picking up odd bits.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis

Another good one is Bents Garden Centre on the way to Culceth, about a mile from the Greyhound roundabout on the Lancs.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Seen Sapporo mentioned here before. Tesco's was selling it and have stopped literally a week later.

Might have been me, as I think it's the best lager in the world. Absolutely delicious. The big Tesco near me is still selling it (or was a few days ago)

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline stara

• Legacy Fan

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
Just come back from Belgium, spent a couple of days staying in Aarschot. Duvel I've had before, but for me I really enjoyed Jupiler which seems to be the beer of choice for a lot of the locals. Very nice drop.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Duvel and Jupiler are available in tesco, they are good alright.

Beavertown neck oil from there is decent too, Leffe Blonde (especially ice cold), plus their northern monk stuff
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
Duvel and Jupiler are available in tesco, they are good alright.

Beavertown neck oil from there is decent too, Leffe Blonde (especially ice cold), plus their northern monk stuff
Both superb beers. Though preferred Jupiler when I was working over in Belgium as a guitar/vocalist entertainer, as it didn't fuck me up as quick.  ;D