Author Topic: Isle of Man TT tragedy  (Read 9903 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Isle of Man TT tragedy
« on: June 8, 2007, 05:51:13 pm »
A rider and two spectators have been killed following a crash during the Senior race at the centenary Isle of Man TT meeting.

The rider, who has not been named, died instantly in the smash and a second person was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.

A third person was taken to Noble's Hospital but died a short time later, and two other people were injured.

Organisers have begun an investigation into the cause of the crash.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/isle_of_man/6735511.stm

Terrible news, RIP.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Isle of Man TT tragedy
« Reply #1 on: June 8, 2007, 05:51:39 pm »
Awful, RIP

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #2 on: June 8, 2007, 05:53:02 pm »
awful news

RIP

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #3 on: June 8, 2007, 07:06:23 pm »
Sad news......Thoughts with all involved.

Offline iancr7

• Im sorry but who are you again ?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • likes men in uniform
« Reply #4 on: June 8, 2007, 07:49:28 pm »
Sad news
brummie born and (b)red

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #5 on: June 8, 2007, 07:53:54 pm »
Awful news. R.I.P.

Road racers really earn their money. If you ever see some of the on-board footage, it's absolutely frightening. Bravery verging on madness.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline Melanie.

• Redheads Rule. Redheaded REDS rule MORE. Fact. Vodka-sucking-non-warbling-Dorothy.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has red hair
« Reply #6 on: June 8, 2007, 08:00:48 pm »
Very sad, RIP
to be honest I didn't know the old meaning but having googled, this means the next time someone called me ginger pubes i can go "NO! FIRE_CROTCH"
Me too.

Offline sameold

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 8, 2007, 08:34:48 pm »
Very sad news but when will the powers that be ban road racing. It's senseless. At the recent North West, 3 bikers died on their way home because they thought they were invincible as well.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 8, 2007, 08:36:06 pm »
dreadful. Thought with the families.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 8, 2007, 08:44:25 pm »

when will the powers that be ban road racing.

There are many other meetings aside from the IoM. Many in Ireland, and all over Europe.

The TT incidents make the national news. The others (and there aren't really that many) don't tend to.

Accidents will always happen though and it's always sad to hear.

From 1911 - 2006 there have been 31 deaths at the TT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deaths_by_motorcycle_accidents

About 1 per 3 years, which is probably too many, but when you consider there are on average TEN deaths a day on UK roads, it don't seem too bad.

« Last Edit: June 8, 2007, 08:50:23 pm by Barney_Rubble »
87:13

Offline Mowgs10

• Kemlynite
« Reply #10 on: June 8, 2007, 08:44:33 pm »
Very sad news but when will the powers that be ban road racing. It's senseless. At the recent North West, 3 bikers died on their way home because they thought they were invincible as well.

Dont agree with that in any shape or form, but thats a different story.

RIP thoughts with their families.

Been such a great 2 weeks here aswell :(

Offline morestellata

• Legacy Fan
  • fiends,romans and fuck off everton!!
« Reply #11 on: June 8, 2007, 09:04:24 pm »
Tragic for their families ,but they died doing something they loved.
Balls of steel these fella's,I couldn't do it.

RIP.
1st IS 1st, 2nd IS NOWHERE.
NEVER FORGET NEVER FORGIVE.
NEVER BUY THE SUN.
JUSTICE WILL BE DONE.

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #12 on: June 8, 2007, 09:10:09 pm »
RIP of course, but....

Organisers have begun an investigation into the cause of the crash.

...do they really need an investigation?  No expert me, but at a guess, riding too fast?
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 8, 2007, 09:13:30 pm »

...do they really need an investigation?  No expert me, but at a guess, riding too fast?

Well yeah, it could have been any of a number of things, brake/engine/tyre failure, oil or shite in the road. Ultimately he's obviously gone too fast for whatever the circumstances were, but there's usually more to it than that, and they could discover something that might help them prevent it in the future.

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 8, 2007, 09:37:15 pm »
From 1911 - 2006 there have been 31 deaths at the TT.

Finnish sports news just told that there have been over 200 deaths at this race for past 100 years. Is this true?

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 8, 2007, 09:57:58 pm »

Finnish sports news just told that there have been over 200 deaths at this race for past 100 years. Is this true?

200 could be the figure for ALL motorcycle deaths there, including mad Sunday where everyone has a chance to do the circuit. The TT meeting itself lasts for over a week and there have been a fair number of deaths there, but the Wiki figure says for Race deaths.

« Last Edit: June 8, 2007, 09:59:33 pm by Barney_Rubble »

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: June 8, 2007, 10:46:06 pm »
They almost got the week over without a major incident.  It's had it's fair share of accidents down the years - power for the course really, when having so many competitive high speed bike races off track.  A bloke where I used to work used to take part as an amateur, and his last year of competing seen him come back with a leg amputated.

Dangerous sport.

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #17 on: June 8, 2007, 11:13:51 pm »
The fact is that ALL motor racing is risky - but that it precisely the reason people do it.

Formula One racing (until the late 70's) had a VERY high death rate.  Senna's accident and Ratzenbergers' were under very unusual circumstances for what had become an extremely safe version of F1, but now it seems to have been oversanitised.

If you do a dangerous sport, it is the choice of the driver / rider to participate.  The danger has always been part of the attraction for a lot of racers - pushing themselves to the very limit.  Different racers enjoy different risks - I wouldn't dare attempt any sort of motorbike racing, but you wouldn't be able to keep me out of even an "unsafe" era F1 car going at full pelt.
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #18 on: June 8, 2007, 11:14:51 pm »
The organisers of the Isle of Man TT Races, the Manx Motor Cycle Club Limited, have released to name of the competitor who died this afternoon during the Senior TT.

He was 34-year-old Marc Ramsbotham, a married man from Norfolk, who worked as a HGV Driver and Plant Fitter.

He was a Newcomer to the event.

The Club extends its sympathy to his wife, family and friends.

http://www.iomtt.com/News/2007/06/08/Rider-named.aspx

RIP.

*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #19 on: June 8, 2007, 11:17:32 pm »
Very sad.
 :'(
RIP.
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #20 on: June 8, 2007, 11:23:47 pm »
34?  Real shame.   :(   
He was a Newcomer to the event.
  tragic

I hate motor bikes. 
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline jo3lfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: June 9, 2007, 12:36:52 am »
RIP

JFT 96

YNWA

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2022, 08:32:31 pm »
5 deaths at this year's event including a father and son....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/61760266

Obviously any motor sport comes with that risk. But the TT is not a race track. It's a literal legalised street racing.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 08:34:16 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2022, 09:02:17 pm »
5 deaths at this year's event including a father and son....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/61760266

Obviously any motor sport comes with that risk. But the TT is not a race track. It's a literal legalised street racing.

There have now been 265 riders killed at the TT, 280 fatalities in total, but all the riders, marshalls and spectators know the risks and they still happily go, and while the racing is still allowed, and the IOM won't ban it as its worth millions to the economy, then they will go in their droves. The racers would actually be pissed off if it was banned, they love the challenge and want to do it, many are pure road racers, like the Dunlop family, they don't like riding on tracks, they prefer the likes of the TT and the NW200. We all choose to ride bikes, we know the risks, but we accept them and give the grim reaper the middle finger.

I went in 1989, the TT is a brilliant time, however Mez Mellor and Steve Henshaw were killed a few hundred yards away from where we were sat, and that was hard, as Mez was doing the Miss Wet T Shirt contest in Douglas the night before and I was stood about 15 feet away from him. We've lost some greats from the sport, David Jeffries was killed in 2003, Joey Dunlop died when he hit a tree in Tallin Estonia, Robert Dunlop died at the NW200 and one of his sons died in a race in Dublin, yet the racers still go and still race.

Joey described it best

Jurgen YNWA

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2022, 09:12:44 pm »
These fellas risk their lives for relatively little reward - certainly in comparison to F1 drivers. It’s a cliche but it really must be an addiction to being on the edge, much like other extreme sports.

R.I.P. to all those who lost their lives.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2022, 09:27:42 pm »
These fellas risk their lives for relatively little reward - certainly in comparison to F1 drivers. It’s a cliche but it really must be an addiction to being on the edge, much like other extreme sports.

R.I.P. to all those who lost their lives.

Used to knock about with a lad who did the TT, he was a maniac on the roads, fastest rider I've even ridden with, he just lived for the buzz and the TT was the ultimate for him.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2022, 09:36:25 pm »
Should have been banned a long time ago. Same goes for horse and greyhound racing.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2022, 10:33:24 pm »
Should have been banned a long time ago. Same goes for horse and greyhound racing.

Why, because you don't like it? Its the riders choice to go, most spend their lives dreaming of doing the TT. They all know the risks and they choose to do it, its their life to do with as they please.

Maybe we should ban sky diving, paragliding and all other extreme sports too?
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2022, 10:46:39 pm »
Ban climbing mountains and people who do free solo on rock climbing too. In fact, let's ban combat sport and all because its dangerous and fighters have died. The riders know the risks. It's their choice.

As a side note, rally driving carries similar risk, and maybe more so to spectators of it. I don't see calls for it to be banned despite Group B already having done so, but for the reason stated previously.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 10:53:57 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2022, 10:50:44 pm »
Why, because you don't like it? Its the riders choice to go, most spend their lives dreaming of doing the TT. They all know the risks and they choose to do it, its their life to do with as they please.

Exactly Rob.

I have the utmost respect for these guys but still think they are utter fukin mentalists.  But no one is forcing them to race so gods speed.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2022, 08:36:37 am »
Many years ago my sister and her husband had a racing team, their rider was a lad we went to school with. 

They competed a lot in the IoM and eventually they'd managed to qualify for the TT, sadly their rider was killed on his bike after visiting them at home not long after qualifying.

My brother in law fractured his spine at 21 after a bike accident, fortunately it wasn't serious in that he wasn't paralysed.  He vowed to his mum he'd never ride that bike again, which he didnt but he did ride others.

We had a friend who'd lost a foot in an accident and another who defied all logic to survive an horrific accident that doctors never thought he'd survive.

As Rob knows once you get the bug it's near on impossible to kill it, just like any other addiction.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2022, 08:42:04 am »

I don't think that the event should be banned by any stretch but I think there should be an inquiry as to why five people have died this year. By any accounts it's a pretty high number and if five people were killed during any other event or in almost any other circumstances, that fact alone would be national news and questions would be asked.

There's certainly no harm in asking whether any more could or should have been done to ensure riders' safety, or whether anything has been done differently this year that has led to these issues.

Whether or not you like motorcycle racing (and I'm entirely neutral on it having no interest whatsoever) is largely irrelevant.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 08:43:38 am by JerseyKloppite »

Offline Wghennessy

• Embarassing
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2022, 08:54:40 am »
On what planet is a sport allowed to continue which averages 2.3 deaths per event?

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2022, 09:03:03 am »
On what planet is a sport allowed to continue which averages 2.3 deaths per event?

It’s a very high risk sport, one mistake and you are dead. Just like free solo climbing or free diving. Personal choice just like the other sports mentioned. They do it for the thrill of being on the edge and know the risk they are taking on

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2022, 10:31:55 am »
It’s a very high risk sport, one mistake and you are dead. Just like free solo climbing or free diving. Personal choice just like the other sports mentioned. They do it for the thrill of being on the edge and know the risk they are taking on

Yeah, with no thought for the medical teams that have to treat them  ::)

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2022, 11:04:41 am »

About 1 per 3 years, which is probably too many, but when you consider there are on average TEN deaths a day on UK roads, it don't seem too bad.

No, it makes it seem much, much worse. It’s an average of 5 per day in the UK but that’s out of many million motorists making many million journeys.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2022, 11:35:22 am »
Yeah, with no thought for the medical teams that have to treat them  ::)

Well some of them love racing as well like the late Dr John Hinds who was well known as the doctor who rode behind the racers. His job was to get to anyone who was injured as quickly as possible. John died at the Skerries 100 which is the location where William Dunlop also died.
#JFT97

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2022, 12:18:04 pm »
The TT is absolutely insane but the Isle of Man government is never going to ban it. That event is a huge part of the lifeblood of the island. You could surely introduce a few chicanes here and there in the most risky spots, but road racing is inherently dangerous.
Linudden.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2022, 12:40:34 pm »
I’ve changed my view on this over the years as I’ve got older fwiw.  I remember the Sunday Times Magazine led with a feature one year where they had profiles of every rider who’d died - I think it passed a landmark that year, 200 probably, and it was just so sad, I was devastated reading it.  I couldn’t believe this thing still existed and was allowed to keep going.

But now I recognise there’s some really deep male need for danger and risk-taking that I don’t really understand but still recognise even in my middle-aged self, taking small pointless risks in my mundane life just because.  I don’t know if you could ever quantify it or even properly rationalise it, but it seems pretty obvious to me that the whole trend towards safety and management, and indeed the general niceness that’s been increasing throughout my conscious adulthood, is absolutely killing us in other ways that don’t show up quite so obviously, like suicide stats or addictions, or the birth rate.  There’s plenty of talk about a crisis of meaning, but you could just as simply call it something like boredom.

Just musings, like, and they might not even belong here - I just feel like it’s really important on some almost-spiritual level that things like the TT still exist.  At the most basic level, there are clearly people who just have to live like this, and there always have been.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2022, 12:42:18 pm »
No, it makes it seem much, much worse. It’s an average of 5 per day in the UK but that’s out of many million motorists making many million journeys.

In fairness that post is over 15 years old but the numbers are worse than that. The fact that there's a Wikipedia page dedicated solely to the list of 280-odd people who've died is in itself quite striking (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Isle_of_Man_TT_Mountain_Course_fatalities), but in the last 70 years (or since 1950) there have been 248 deaths which puts it at over 3 per year on average.