Author Topic: CL Semi Final: Chelsea -v- Liverpool, Wed 7.45, All The Build Up  (Read 47905 times)

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
Re: CL Semi Final: Chelsea -v- Liverpool, Wed 7.45, All The Build Up
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2007, 10:24:24 am »
For starters he won't come nowhere near the starting XI.

I'll bet you £50.00 he starts ahead of Mascherno or even ahead of Gerrard in Central Midfield on Wednesday.

Offline Hugh Thompson

• Main Stander
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2007, 10:25:54 am »
I'd bet my bollocks he will be one of the first names on the team sheet.

I may be wrong, of course, but I reckon Rafa will start with 2 forwards upfront in a 4-4-2 formation like this.

--------------------------------Reina-------------------------------

Finnan------------Agger--------------Carra-----------Arbeloa

Gerrard------------Masch----------Alonso-----------------Riise

-----------------------Kuijt-----------Bellamy/Crouch------------

Offline thechulloran

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2007, 10:32:17 am »
taken from: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/chelsea/article1687370.ece

‘Losing to Liverpool two years ago was the lowest point of my career. It won’t happen again’
England’s captain believes Chelsea won’t be seen as a great side until they conquer Europe

Joe Lovejoy

Twenty games unbeaten, a maximum of nine to play and Chelsea are still very much in the hunt for that unprecedented clean sweep of all four major honours, but there is acceptance at Stamford Bridge that one element of the fabulous quadruple holds the key to greatness. Jose Mourinho and his players can carry on winning the Premiership until doomsday without gaining a place in the pantheon unless they emulate Manchester United and Liverpool and lift the European Cup.

Their captain, John Terry, has acknowledged as much, saying: “I want to go on winning the Premiership year after year, but we’ve got to win the Champions League to prove that we are a great side. People will only start believing that when we’re the kings of Europe. It’s the only way we can do it.”

Terry rates elimination by Liverpool in the semi-finals two years ago as “the lowest point of my career at club level” and is determined to “put the record straight” when the teams meet again at the same stage over the next 10 days. The first leg is at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday, which means the decisive return, the following Tuesday, will again be at Anfield, where Chelsea’s hearts were broken by Luis Gar-cia’s contentious winner in 2005.

Two years ago, after being held goalless at home, Terry and his team were taken by surprise and intimidated by the ferocity of their “welcome” on Merseyside. “It won’t happen again,” the teak-tough defender promised, a warrior’s glint in his eyes.

“All of us found it a bit of a shock that night. It was one of the most impressive atmospheres I’ve played in, and credit to the Liverpool fans for that, especially the Kop. They all had their scarves in the air, belting out their songs. They made it a memorable night — something special. We’ll be better prepared, ready for it this time.”

First things first. It is essential that Chelsea take full advantage of the home leg this time. “We’ve got to do our bit here,” Terry said. He is confident that they will. “We know what to expect from them as a group of players, we’re at full strength again, with everyone bar Arjen Robben available. For any opponents looking at our squad, it must be daunting.”

Mr. Ferguson and Manchester United were fixated on the European Cup until they won it in 1999. Mourinho and Chelsea have the same magnificent obsession. “We still feel the domestic trophy is really important,” Terry said. “To play 38 games and finish top at the end is a great achievement. But we need to prove ourselves in the Champions League.”

The archetypal John Bull, England’s captain wants to win in Europe, but not to play there. “Moving abroad doesn’t appeal to me, it’s not what I’m about. I’m English through and through. I’ve told the club that I see my future at Chelsea and we’re looking to sort that out in the summer with a new contract.”

Talks to that end have stalled, but, asked if there were any circumstances in which he could envisage leaving, he replied instantaneously with an emphatic “no”. Surely that had to make negotiating difficult for his agent, Aaron Lincoln? Smiling at the suggestion, Terry said: “I’ve still got two years left on my contract, so whatever happens in the summer, I’m here for another two years anyway. At the moment we’ve reached stalemate and we’re not taking it further. There’s so much going on at the club right now that we’ve agreed to put it on hold. I don’t want to be called in to Stamford Bridge and distracted by all that.

“At the end of the season we’ll look at it again, and I suppose if I got down to six months left on my present deal and nothing was sorted, I’d have to think about moving, but that situation would be a case of Chelsea not wanting me, not me wanting to leave.”

Talking of the future, what do Terry and the other players make of the continuing uncertainty about Mourinho? The captain had been told by the club not to discuss this prickliest of subjects, but his regard for the manager he has described as “the best in the business” is a matter of record and he is not one to duck any issue. “The players do talk about it, but not as much as you might think,” he said. “The manager fills us in on the situation and says everything is okay, so all the speculation doesn’t bother us that much. We’re like a family — we’re that tightly knit that nothing going on off the field affects us.

“It’s the same as contract negotiations breaking down with me and Frank [Lampard]. If we come out and say that, everybody makes too much of it. There has got to be a rift or something has gone wrong. The reality is that contract talks don’t always go smoothly, you can’t have it all your own way. That’s where me and Frank are at the moment, and maybe the manager is in the same boat.”

The absence of Roman Abramovich, Chelsea’s plutocratic owner, from recent games and his lack of direct communication with his manager and players has been widely interpreted as evidence of the billionaire’s disillusionment, but Terry feels that this had been blown out of proportion. “Last Sunday [when Chelsea beat Blackburn at Old Trafford to reach the FA Cup final] Roman sent word that he wanted to come into the dressing room afterwards, but that he had to shoot back to Russia. We understand We know we’ve got his full backing and he knows he’s got ours. Nobody should ever underestimate what Roman Abramovich has done for Chelsea and for these players.”

There is increasing belief that Abramovich’s perceived dissatisfaction with Mourinho stems from a desire for a more expansive style of play — that on an investment of £500m he expects more than grinding 1-0 wins in return. Chelsea did put four past moribund West Ham in midweek, but such margins are not a regular occurrence, and Terry admits there is scope for improvement.

“Everybody talks about how well Man United have played, whereas with us it’s always ‘Chelsea dug in again’, that sort of thing. Over the past year or so that’s what we’ve been all about, winning 1-0. I don’t think this is ever going to be a side that goes out and wins by three or four every week. United have got that about them, they’re always capable of doing that. With us, we tend to score one and make sure that’s enough.

“We’ve agreed we’d like to kick on and get that second goal more often to kill the game — as we should have done through Sheva [Andriy Shevchenko] last Sunday. We don’t do that often enough, we tend to shut up shop. We wait for the right opportunity to come along, we don’t go chasing it.”

Mention of Shevchenko turns the conversation to the problems he and Michael Ballack have had adapting to the hurly-burly of English football. “Sheva came here from Italy and went about training with their mentality, taking it easy a bit,” Terry said. “Obviously they work hard out there too, but the intensity Chelsea train at is phenomenal and every foreign player we sign finds it unbelievable.

“Eidur [Gudjohnsen, his friend and former teammate] says the training at Barcelona is relaxed by comparison. At our place it can be frightening. Some of the tackles that go in make me cringe. We have sessions when we all fly into each other and the manager has to stop it and say: ‘Calm down, we’ve got a game in a couple of days’. But that’s the way we want it. We don’t want to pussy-foot around, we train as we play. That’s where our will to win comes from.”

There are obvious dangers inherent in such a full-on approach. Terry needed a back operation, which kept him out for seven weeks, after a training incident in December. During that time Chelsea played eight league matches, winning only four. If they fail to retain their title, they will blame the loss of their inspirational leader as much as the skull fracture that deprived them of Peter Cech, the world’s best goalkeeper, for three months.

In the televised game at Newcastle this afternoon one statistic certain to be trotted out is the fact that Terry hasn’t scored since the season’s opening weekend. Laughing, he said: “Every single Chelsea fan I meet every week tells me I’m due one, and every commentator always mentions it. I think the reason is that I’ve done so well for goals in recent years that I’m getting singled out for special attention at set-pieces.”

Nitty-gritty time: do the players genuinely believe that they can win the lot? “There is that possibility, but the games are coming so thick and fast, you don’t get the chance to dwell on it,” Terry replied. “Personally, when I’m at home I like to spend time with my kids [11-month-old twins], not sitting there thinking about the great times I’m having at Chelsea.

“Anyway, we’ve still got it all to do. Last Sunday there was champagne in the dressing room, but nobody opened it, as we had the West Ham game on Wednesday. Mind you, we brought it back with us, just in case.”

The way they are playing, they should get it on ice.
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists" - Tom Hicks

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2007, 10:39:25 am »
I'm nervous already, hold me :D

I want gonzalez to play. He has more pace than riise and you won't be taking riises shooting ability out of the equation considering mark's is pretty decent really. The guy can track back just as well as riise. I just dont want 4 full backs on the pitch, please rafa :D

This is my little guess at what he might play!

Finnan --- Carragher --- Agger --- Arbeloa
Pennant --- Sissoko --- Alonso --- Riise
                     - Gerrard -
                     - Crouch -

My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2007, 10:40:51 am »
The teak tough defender wasn't so when he was crying like a baby in front of the KOP almost Two years ago was he?

Keep talking you chelsea rent boy, you'll be crying again a week on Tuesday.

Offline HiroProtagonist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2007, 10:47:49 am »
Chelsea are getting ahead of themselves, can't wait to play them.

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2007, 10:59:02 am »
I'm nervous already, hold me :D

I want gonzalez to play. He has more pace than riise and you won't be taking riises shooting ability out of the equation considering mark's is pretty decent really. The guy can track back just as well as riise. I just dont want 4 full backs on the pitch, please rafa :D

This is my little guess at what he might play!

Finnan --- Carragher --- Agger --- Arbeloa
Pennant --- Sissoko --- Alonso --- Riise
                     - Gerrard -
                     - Crouch -

People have already said what a mistake it is to be over confident and then you go and play no goalkeeper!? That's just taking the piss!

;)
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline MattLFC08

• Forgetful nose poker-inner - Who Must Try Harder!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 Never Forgotten.
« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2007, 11:03:35 am »
League games this year v Chelsea...

Team sheet v Chelsea (away)

Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Warnock (Aurelio 53), Alonso, Gerrard, Sissoko (Zenden 66), Pennant, Kuyt, Bellamy (Crouch 77)

Score 1-0 Drogba

Team sheet v Chelsea (home)

Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Riise, Aurelio, Alonso, Gerrard, Pennant, Crouch (Bellamy 84), Kuyt (Gonzaez 89)

Score 2-0 Kuyt, Pennant.

So in the 2 league games this year we have played similar formations, most notably 2 up front. 

Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Alonso, Gerrard, Pennant and Kuyt started both games.
"As I come here to Liverpool and to Anfield I have drummed it into our players time and again, they are PRIVILEGED to play for you and if you did not believe me! Do You Believe Me Now?"

Bill Shankly (2 September 1913 – 29 September 1981)

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2007, 11:04:35 am »
For starters he won't come nowhere near the starting XI.

Yes, he will. Whenever he's fit Rafa starts him against Chelsea.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2007, 11:22:36 am »
I can never decide if me being confident is a good or bad thing, but sometimes you just ‘know’ things are going to be ok and that’s how I feel.

We need to turn up with our Barcelona away heads on, we’ll be unstoppable.  I think we’ll be in a better position for the home leg than we were last time round.....

Who knows?  I can’t bloody wait.....I won’t do a thing in work for the next few days, the excitement is building already.

RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2007, 11:24:33 am »
Yes, he will. Whenever he's fit Rafa starts him against Chelsea.

Of course he will. There's no way in a million years (barring injury/illness/death) that Sissoko will miss this one.

People are so fucking fickle. A few months ago Momo was the best thing since sliced ham, suddenly Mascherano walks onto the scene (don't get me wrong, superb player) and Sissoko isn't good enough!? Some people on here need to take a good look at themselves, or better still, a good look at our games against big sides in the past, and then tell me Momo won't start.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline MattLFC08

• Forgetful nose poker-inner - Who Must Try Harder!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 Never Forgotten.
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2007, 11:25:27 am »
This is what its all about...
"As I come here to Liverpool and to Anfield I have drummed it into our players time and again, they are PRIVILEGED to play for you and if you did not believe me! Do You Believe Me Now?"

Bill Shankly (2 September 1913 – 29 September 1981)

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2007, 11:25:37 am »
People have already said what a mistake it is to be over confident and then you go and play no goalkeeper!? That's just taking the piss!

;)

haha. We all know whos going straight in there though dont we... dudek :D
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2007, 11:27:07 am »
haha. We all know whos going straight in there though dont we... dudek :D

There's no way Rafa will start Dudek in this one, don't be absurd!

He's saving him for the final...

Offline JamieB

• Legacy Fan
  • Winning isn't important, it's everything
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2007, 11:30:33 am »
I can't wait for the game. As for the formation it depends whether Benitez goes with his own or try's to out-predict who Mourinho will play. As Porto and Valencia have shown its possible to get a good result and i'd like to think as we are better than those teams mentioned we could come away with a better result. I think we have to watch the long boot from Cech to Drogba, that goal he scored against Valencia was very soft indeed and their first goal against Blackburn in the FA Cup was very similar.

Ive spoken with Carragher and he said he's already emptied his pockets for Shevchenko.
Pass and Move its the Liverpool Groove,
Go Robbie, Go Robbie, Go!

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2007, 11:37:28 am »
I can't wait for the game. As for the formation it depends whether Benitez goes with his own or try's to out-predict who Mourinho will play. As Porto and Valencia have shown its possible to get a good result and i'd like to think as we are better than those teams mentioned we could come away with a better result. I think we have to watch the long boot from Cech to Drogba, that goal he scored against Valencia was very soft indeed and their first goal against Blackburn in the FA Cup was very similar.

Ive spoken with Carragher and he said he's already emptied his pockets for Shevchenko.

Now we just have to try and dig Ronaldinho out of Finnan's and we will have room for Joe Cole as well.

Superb.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2007, 11:41:30 am »
One thing for sure is we need to score at least once on Wednesday. Can't rely on another shut out at Anfield-Chelsea have only failed to score in 3 games this season.
 Most Reds I know are pessemistic about this one. I'm normally the worlds biggest pessemist but I'm convinced we can go through but we MUST take our chances.
  People keep bringing up the law of average about the semis against them but what about applying it to us scoring at the Bridge?. None in 5 games under Rafa. We must be due one.
  Can see Rafa going with one up front with Gerrard in support as he seems to have played this system more in the last few weeks than at any time in the last 3 years. I'd also like to see Hyypia play to give us a bit more strength at set pieces (especially defending them).
 Theres no doubt we have the psychological edge and no matter what they say they will be shitting it at the thought of having to get a result at Anfield.
 I've never made a prediction on here yet and am not going to start now but have a feeling Riise could be key for us on Wednesday.
 COME ON YOU REDS !!

Offline The dude abides

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2007, 11:42:03 am »
Rafa has finally got the measure of Maureen.

Rafa is a far far better tactician. 

And if John Terry thinks his Chelsea team will, having heard it 2 years ago, now be used to the reception they'll get at Anfield, he is being naive.  You don't ever get used to that wall of noise.  Never. 

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2007, 11:42:25 am »
Win 2-1 at the Bridge.  Win 2-0 at home.  Would love that.

Offline JamieB

• Legacy Fan
  • Winning isn't important, it's everything
« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2007, 11:44:57 am »
I think were gonna nick it at the Bridge 1-0 and then 1-1 at Anfield. Sissoko's due a goal........
Pass and Move its the Liverpool Groove,
Go Robbie, Go Robbie, Go!

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2007, 11:47:19 am »
The thing is I'm quitley confident about getting a result on Wednesday & this is without knowing what's going to happen in their must win game @ the Barcodes.

Sunday afternoon might get a lot better, If Drogba gets injured or Lampard for that matter.

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2007, 11:49:40 am »
Fuck off Chelsea FC, you ain't got no history...  :moon

Can't wait for wednesday!

Offline The dude abides

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2007, 11:51:25 am »
Hope Newcastle take them to extra time today.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2007, 12:16:19 pm »
Hope Newcastle take them to extra time today.

I hope they knock seven shades of shit of of them....... then go to extra time ;)
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2007, 12:17:56 pm »
I can never decide if me being confident is a good or bad thing, but sometimes you just ‘know’ things are going to be ok and that’s how I feel.

We need to turn up with our Barcelona away heads on, we’ll be unstoppable.  I think we’ll be in a better position for the home leg than we were last time round.....

Who knows?  I can’t bloody wait.....I won’t do a thing in work for the next few days, the excitement is building already.

I agree with all of that.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2007, 12:20:48 pm »
Terry was on TV the other days saying "WHEN we beat Liverpool" and "Us and Man U going up against eachother in 3 competitions" blah blah. Sounds like someone's taking things a bit for granted.

Hopefully the league will take their eye off us. Let's fucking have 'em.

Oooooooooh Campione!

Fucking Amen.

Sky Sports News and all the shitty media going on about the Champions League final being the possible FINALE for this Man U vs Chelsea battle this season- as if we aint even in the competition. As if it is the clincher for the treble or the quadruple for one of the other.

Im fucking shitting it, but this is what its all about, can't wait for Wednesday now!!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 12:26:24 pm by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hugh Thompson

• Main Stander
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2007, 12:21:54 pm »
People are so fucking fickle. A few months ago Momo was the best thing since sliced ham, suddenly Mascherano walks onto the scene (don't get me wrong, superb player) and Sissoko isn't good enough!? Some people on here need to take a good look at themselves, or better still, a good look at our games against big sides in the past, and then tell me Momo won't start.

Only I never understood the hype Sissoko recieved, NEVER. Fair enough his work ethic and ability to break up opponent's play is brilliant, but to me fitting the description of being an undispensible player takes a bit more. IMHO, his piss poor passing game, first touch and horrible tackling game outweighs the goods.

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2007, 12:23:10 pm »
We will need to get a positive result in our first match, if we lose that one I think our chances are almost non existant.

The way we struggle to break teams down (usually shite teams), gives me no confidence if we need to get a win at home against such a superb defensive unit as Chelsea actually are.

It will all be decided in the first match, thats my take on things.
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2007, 12:27:28 pm »

You mean like last time?

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2007, 12:29:07 pm »
Cant wait to see Terry cry again.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2007, 12:29:23 pm »
We will need to get a positive result in our first match, if we lose that one I think our chances are almost non existant.

The way we struggle to break teams down (usually shite teams), gives me no confidence if we need to get a win at home against such a superb defensive unit as Chelsea actually are.

I think a lot depends on scoring the all important away goal. I'd rather get beat 3-1 than 1 nil. If we get an away goal, chelsea will aim to do the same, if we don't they may decide just to shut up shop.

Offline thredworm

• Makes mods cry.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Stop ze cock jokes!"
  • Super Title: Might be a bit thick if trying to agitate mods.
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2007, 12:29:25 pm »

Yes, if we lose 1-0 at the bridge we're fucked aren't we?

Oh dear...
"We were looking for them to suffer from the very first minute, and they have suffered until the 90th minute."
Rafa Benitez on Real Madrid, 10th March 2009. Liverpool 4 - 0 Real Madrid

Offline Hugh Thompson

• Main Stander
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2007, 12:30:23 pm »
You mean like last time?

It's a new game with new settings, right?

Offline TheRedBull

• 4x1=5
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2007, 12:31:10 pm »
Like in 2005 you mean? :P 0-0 will do for me and I am sure Rafa will start with Sissoko as Mascherano might be a little light weight against Ballack & Makelele.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2007, 12:31:47 pm »
It's a new game with new settings, right?

Unless it ends 5-0 how is it over in the first leg?

Offline Hugh Thompson

• Main Stander
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2007, 12:37:16 pm »
Unless it ends 5-0 how is it over in the first leg?
`

All I'm saying is I have this gnawing feeling we owe them a semi-final win. We've won 2 and as someone said above these things tends to balance out.

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2007, 12:39:25 pm »
I'm shitting myself but we are a much better team than in 2005 and I'm not sure they are despite who they've bought. Teams give them too much respect, they are weak down both flanks and tactically we have the measure of them. We just have to cut out mistakes and maintain 100% concentration and I think we'll do it. We could play with wingers (risky I know) and with SG in the middle. If we can stretch their narrow midfield Stevie may have a bit of room to play in and do some serous damage. Would love to see a SG masterclass againt Chelsea - it's about time

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2007, 12:40:44 pm »
Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Alonso, Gerrard, Pennant and Kuyt started both games.

Of those players, only Pennant is a questionmark for this game.

I believe we'll go with the Barca formation. Maybe with the exception of Sissoko (Mascerano to start instead). Chelsea have put pressure on us in the build-up phase before and if they do that again, I think we'd be better off with Mascerano.
My main worry is that they will play 4-3-3 with SWP and Cole on the wings.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Hugh Thompson

• Main Stander
« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2007, 12:45:02 pm »
Of those players, only Pennant is a questionmark for this game.

I believe we'll go with the Barca formation. Maybe with the exception of Sissoko (Mascerano to start instead). Chelsea have put pressure on us in the build-up phase before and if they do that again, I think we'd be better off with Mascerano.
My main worry is that they will play 4-3-3 with SWP and Cole on the wings.

I would agree completely with that Gnurg.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2007, 12:46:56 pm »
I would agree completely with that Gnurg.

So why don't you bet £50.00 on it then?