Author Topic: Band of Brothers.  (Read 51861 times)

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
Re: Band of Brothers.
« Reply #440 on: March 14, 2014, 02:49:19 pm »
Yes. It's in no way connected to BoB. Made by the same people, but totally separate from BoB. Didn't hold a candle to BoB in my opinion, but was decent enough I thought.

bad choice of words :) but if it's decent enough I might give it a go

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #441 on: June 5, 2014, 06:07:53 pm »
Well worth a bump for tomorrows 70th anniversary of D Day

Lest we forget all those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: October 18, 2015, 09:53:27 pm »
Started re-watching it this week, unbelievable TV, best series that i've ever seen.

One thing it always makes me want to do is go and visit some of these places, i'm thinking of going out to Bastogne, has anyone ever done it or have any recommendations? I see there's websites who offer package deals including tours and stuff but think I might just go independently.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: October 2, 2017, 09:14:51 am »
Don Malarkey passed away today aged 96

Sad to say he was the last remaining soldier of Easy Company portrayed on Band of Brothers. :(

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: October 2, 2017, 10:12:59 am »
He fought for twenty-three days in Normandy, nearly eighty in the Netherlands, thirty-nine in the Battle of Bastogne in Belgium, and nearly thirty more in and around Haguenau, France, and the Ruhr Pocket in Germany. He was promoted to sergeant before Operation Market Garden. Malarkey, who was never seriously wounded, served more consecutive time on the front lines than any other member of Easy Company. Malarkey was awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Good Conduct Medal, American Campaign Medal, and others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Malarkey

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: October 2, 2017, 04:42:33 pm »
He fought for twenty-three days in Normandy, nearly eighty in the Netherlands, thirty-nine in the Battle of Bastogne in Belgium, and nearly thirty more in and around Haguenau, France, and the Ruhr Pocket in Germany. He was promoted to sergeant before Operation Market Garden. Malarkey, who was never seriously wounded, served more consecutive time on the front lines than any other member of Easy Company. Malarkey was awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Good Conduct Medal, American Campaign Medal, and others.

Thanks for posting this
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #446 on: October 2, 2017, 04:48:28 pm »

What a legend. RIP.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #447 on: October 2, 2017, 05:09:19 pm »
RIP. An actual hero.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #448 on: December 12, 2018, 11:01:18 pm »
Just bumping the thread because I've started watching this again. I bought it on Amazon. I still have the box set but never watch DVDs these days.

What an amazing piece of work. And how refreshing and humbling when you see the self-serving fucking pigmies around us in public life today.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: December 24, 2018, 08:44:36 pm »
Just bumping the thread because I've started watching this again. I bought it on Amazon. I still have the box set but never watch DVDs these days.

What an amazing piece of work. And how refreshing and humbling when you see the self-serving fucking pigmies around us in public life today.

Me too, copied over the mkv files to my new FHD tablet (black Friday purchase). Seen it a few times now, but not for a while. I still find that I get completely engrossed by the intensity of the action scenes and their realism, astonishing piece of work.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #450 on: December 24, 2018, 08:54:16 pm »
Time for a rewatch.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: December 24, 2018, 10:05:35 pm »
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #452 on: December 24, 2018, 11:42:49 pm »
It’s a superb piece of television, in every way.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: January 5, 2019, 10:24:18 pm »
Just watched episode 6 (Bastogne) and episode 7 (The Breaking Point). Nerve wracking, exciting, gut wrenching and heart breaking - it really puts your emotions through the mill doesn't it?
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: May 25, 2019, 06:11:15 pm »
Onto my annual rewatch tonight.

God this is amazing TV

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: May 25, 2019, 06:18:18 pm »
Phenomenal television isn't it? I only got round to watching it properly a year ago and was blown away. Couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks after.

Is the Pacific one any good?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: May 25, 2019, 06:19:11 pm »
Phenomenal television isn't it? I only got round to watching it properly a year ago and was blown away. Couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks after.

I enjoyed it. Not as good BOB.

I don't think I've watched anything as good as BOB. Superb cast.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: May 25, 2019, 06:20:56 pm »

I've seen the Pacfic twice, it was fine.

BOB I watch every year. Best show ever.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #458 on: May 25, 2019, 06:38:01 pm »
Is this streamed on Netflix or Prime or anything at the moment?
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #459 on: May 25, 2019, 06:43:46 pm »

Not as good as BOB, but definitely still worth watching. I don't think I have ever seen something on film that captures the sheer horror of war and depths of dehumanisation as well as The Pacific. Some shocking moments. And definitely a good comparison between how the war in the Pacific and the war in Europe was fought.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 06:45:57 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: May 25, 2019, 07:02:19 pm »

Unfortunately not. HBO owned

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #461 on: May 25, 2019, 08:29:23 pm »

It has been airing on Picktv Thursday nights,all the apps and addons have it.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: May 26, 2019, 12:41:00 am »
Has anyone heard anything about the release date for The Mighty Eigth? From the trailer I saw last year it looks as realistic as Band of Brothers and The Pacific. I assumed it would have aired by now but have not seen or heard anything for ages.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #463 on: May 26, 2019, 03:31:37 am »
Has anyone heard anything about the release date for The Mighty Eigth? From the trailer I saw last year it looks as realistic as Band of Brothers and The Pacific. I assumed it would have aired by now but have not seen or heard anything for ages.

That was a fake trailer, they haven't even started filming it yet.
http://footstepsresearch.org/2018/12/what-we-know-hbos-masters-of-the-air/
:D

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #464 on: May 26, 2019, 06:38:07 am »

It has been airing on Picktv Thursday nights,all the apps and addons have it.

Sorry what apps? To watch on catch up?
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: May 26, 2019, 09:12:50 am »
That was a fake trailer, they haven't even started filming it yet.
http://footstepsresearch.org/2018/12/what-we-know-hbos-masters-of-the-air/

Blimey, I had no idea. Thanks for the link. I was looking forward to that.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: May 26, 2019, 08:15:23 pm »
Onto Bastogne. Still terrifying and moving as it was when it 1st aired.

18 years since it aired and still looks as if it could have been filmed last year.

You know when a 90's TV show looked like it was filmed in the 90's? Even if it was about a historic event. The effect work and cinematography was so ahead of its time. It just hasn't aged

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: May 26, 2019, 09:00:48 pm »

18 years since it aired and still looks as if it could have been filmed last year.

You know when a 90's TV show looked like it was filmed in the 90's? Even if it was about a historic event. The effect work and cinematography was so ahead of its time. It just hasn't aged

Practical effects vs digital. It's why some parts of Jurassic Park have aged better than Iron Man

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #468 on: May 28, 2019, 01:14:21 am »

Watched it again this weekend and you are right, still incredible. What is cool is seeing actors who were unknowns then with smaller parts who are now big time: Fassbender, Hardy, Simon Pegg, Stephen Graham (native scouser right?)
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: August 15, 2019, 11:24:59 pm »
Late as ever but started watching this on Sunday and just finished the last episode now. Not ashamed to say I had a lump in my throat towards the end of the last episode. It’s a masterpiece and I can’t believe I’ve left it so long to watch it.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: August 15, 2019, 11:29:37 pm »
Late as ever but started watching this on Sunday and just finished the last episode now. Not ashamed to say I had a lump in my throat towards the end of the last episode. It’s a masterpiece and I can’t believe I’ve left it so long to watch it.

Now get on Generation Kill.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #471 on: August 16, 2019, 12:03:56 pm »
Watched the whole box set again the other weekend. One of my favourite bits of telly ever.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: August 16, 2019, 12:08:56 pm »
Now get on Generation Kill.

Shall I watch this before The Pacific?

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #473 on: August 16, 2019, 02:28:47 pm »
Shall I watch this before The Pacific?

Haha. Just out of a break up and went through Generation Kill and the Pacific in two weekends. Had already watched BoB at least three times. I had already read the two books that Pacific is based on and recognized some of the scenes. I thought Pacific was great but it didn't seem to get under the skin of Easy Company the way that BoB did as it followed more separate story lines and showed more of the life back home that BoB never did.

Generation Kill I thought was excellent and showed the difficulty of orders and the choices the military had to make in trying to achieve an objective.

After a while I realized I really couldn't watch depressing military drama anymore and needed something lighter.

There are loads of these weird immediately post WW2 documentaries on Amazon Prime US that I assume are on UK Prime also. Last night I watched Night Bomber. This program made a few years after the war used this footage of the run up to a raid and some footage of the return of the aircraft over Berlin. It was amazing how you see these guys get their debriefs after returning from an intense mission with literal tea and biscuits. The most amazing footage was one aircraft making it back very late and it was a pilot that flew 30 missions and finished his tour. It said after the war he became an accountant and never flew again. It never ceases to amaze that these people who performed these heroic actions were just regular people put in extraordinary circumstances.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: March 25, 2020, 07:43:46 pm »
Re-watching this again during this lockdown and up to episode 7 already.

Masterpiece.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: March 25, 2020, 10:35:16 pm »
Oo, this is a good idea during these stay at home times.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: March 25, 2020, 10:46:14 pm »
Epic show. One of the few TV programs I return to on an annual basis.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #477 on: March 25, 2020, 10:50:06 pm »
Watched it again this weekend and you are right, still incredible. What is cool is seeing actors who were unknowns then with smaller parts who are now big time: Fassbender, Hardy, Simon Pegg, Stephen Graham (native scouser right?)

Also add in Damien Lewis who happens to be a big red too. ;)

I'd definitely watch Band Of Brothers first though it's a masterpiece, although having said that the portrait of Captain Sobel is controversial, apparently he wasn't as inept & incompetent as the series made him out to be, even the real life veterans of Easy Company have said so.
#Sausages

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: March 26, 2020, 11:14:04 am »
I think this is the right time to do my annual rewatch of BoB.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #479 on: March 26, 2020, 12:26:53 pm »
Going to start this over the weekend .