Author Topic: Band of Brothers.  (Read 54690 times)

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
Re: Band of Brothers.
« Reply #400 on: December 16, 2011, 03:15:37 am »
Just started watching this for the first time yesterday. I had known about it for ages but never got around to watching it, half way into the third episode now and its been brilliant so far. Looking forward to the rest of it. Kind of pissed off its taken me this long to start watching it.
You'll enjoy it very much, the episodes get better and better. Epic series... and it's christmas time, so I guess I'll have a look at it again. It's just me or everytime I watch the Bastogne/Breaking points episodes, It gets really cold? I always watch it at least with a sweater on :D
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline David Healy...

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #401 on: December 27, 2011, 02:02:53 am »
Got the box set for Christmas having never seen it before. Only on episode 4, but I love it already, it's so well done. Trying to pace myself so I don't watch it all in one day haha.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #402 on: December 27, 2011, 02:20:31 am »
Rewatched it for the third time recently.  Simply amazing stuff.  Will be watching it all again next year I imagine.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: December 27, 2011, 10:19:06 pm »
Episode 5 for me tonight, fantastic so far, amazing sound and visuals too.

Offline Istanbul, 2005

• Strong believer in UKIP's domestic and European policies.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mersey paradise
« Reply #404 on: December 29, 2011, 01:50:43 pm »
the best thing I´ve ever seen on TV
At Half time AC thought they had us beat
The Blueshite were dancing in the North Wales Streets
But Stevie G played like a man posessed
And all they have now is their Bitterness!

How do you sleep at night Duckenfield?

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #405 on: January 2, 2012, 05:37:31 pm »
If you like BOB and you think you might like Pacific

then think again

i had to force myself through all 10 episodes just to feel like I had given it a chance

the plot drifts betwen story lines, characters dont develop very well, just hard work all over

i had read the books it was based on and they were excellent, it just didnt transfer to screen very well

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: January 2, 2012, 05:43:56 pm »
I'm re-watching this again now. It's just as good as the first and second time I watched it. There is one thing I'll say that the Pacific has over BOB, and that is the battle scenes in The Pacific were a lot more graphic and felt a lot more gritty than in BOB, and as a result fell a lot more frightening.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #407 on: March 1, 2012, 08:06:47 pm »
Buck Compton passed away last week aged 90

RIP
« Last Edit: March 1, 2012, 08:10:07 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: March 1, 2012, 11:29:01 pm »
Sad news.

RIP.
The match kicks off in 30 minutes ya silly twat

"This European Cup final is won, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 0."

"This scoreline is absolutely staggering, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 3!" - Five Live

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #409 on: March 1, 2012, 11:49:09 pm »
RIP
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #410 on: March 1, 2012, 11:49:27 pm »
I'm re-watching this again now. It's just as good as the first and second time I watched it. There is one thing I'll say that the Pacific has over BOB, and that is the battle scenes in The Pacific were a lot more graphic and felt a lot more gritty than in BOB, and as a result fell a lot more frightening.

Dunno. Just wasn't arsed. It wasn't our war.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #411 on: March 2, 2012, 03:38:34 am »
Was good

Funny though because according to most yank films the British or British Colony forces were never involved in World War II - only the Yanks, the Russians, Japanese and the Germans (You can understand the lack of participation of the Italian and French forces in the films as the high-speed cameras to film their mass departures weren't invented)

Don't know about that - one of my favorite WW2 books and movies is "A Bridge to Far" - the sacrifice by the British Airborne in Arnhem is every bit as dramatic and moving as Omaha Beach, Iwo Jima, etc.

Also grew up watching Battle Of Britain and Bridge on the River Kwai - both about British in WW2, made by American movie studios.
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: March 2, 2012, 05:31:12 am »
Buck Compton passed away last week aged 90

RIP

Hell of a life. Was a part of the prosecution team for Sirhan Sirhan, the assassin of Robert Kennedy.

RIP

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #413 on: April 3, 2013, 04:51:26 am »
Watching this again and it just doesn't get old. Feel like I'm watching it for the first time and also noticing loads of new things.

Simply outstanding television.

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: April 3, 2013, 05:28:23 am »
I've never watched it but plan to get the DVDs once I finish college for the summer.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #415 on: April 3, 2013, 07:06:41 am »
I would guess that I've watched this series at least 20 times over the years.

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: April 3, 2013, 07:10:35 am »
It really is fantastic viewing and it doesn't feel like a chore watching it over and over again.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #417 on: April 3, 2013, 07:39:44 pm »
Episode 7 is the highlight of the show for me. Absolutely fantastic and has everything, humour, tragedy epic battles. Probably one of the greatest hours of television ever produced.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: April 3, 2013, 08:41:08 pm »
Don't know about that - one of my favorite WW2 books and movies is "A Bridge to Far" - the sacrifice by the British Airborne in Arnhem is every bit as dramatic and moving as Omaha Beach, Iwo Jima, etc.

Also grew up watching Battle Of Britain and Bridge on the River Kwai - both about British in WW2, made by American movie studios.

For the exploits of the British Airborne division at Arnhem with a happier ending, try the ending of Watership Down. The actors have longer ears and fewer guns, but otherwise the heroics are the same.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #419 on: April 3, 2013, 09:01:39 pm »
One of the finest ever been series made. Remember when BOB was first aired in the UK on BBC, BBC made the stupid decision to put it on BBC2, low & behold it got higher ratings than the programme BBC1. BBC did have repeats on BBC1 a few days after being aired BBC2 aired, it but was on after 10pm news.
#Sausages

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: June 6, 2013, 11:01:43 am »
#OnThisDay 1944: DDay - Allied troops land on beaches of Normandy.

Think its a perfect time for a re-watch.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #421 on: June 6, 2013, 01:00:09 pm »
Episode 7 is the highlight of the show for me. Absolutely fantastic and has everything, humour, tragedy epic battles. Probably one of the greatest hours of television ever produced.

I was going to say 5 'The Crossroads', but episode 7 is great, and so is episode 6, and 2...  and... Brilliant TV.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline mccred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: June 6, 2013, 03:16:08 pm »
Really enjoyable portrayal of what was obviously a horrendous few months, that came at the end of a horrendous few years. It was about an American group of soldiers so suppose you can forgive them for not really having much about the other allies and lets be honest, without the USSR, World War 2 would of never reached the point of D-Day.

The cold war has in many ways white washed what the Russians went through for the best part of 5 years. 20 million dead, is just unthinkable in this day and age. We hope?

Been on Channel 4 site today, watching the timeline of certain Soldiers, sailors and Airmen that they've picked to tell their story of 6th June 1944, really interesting and can't imagine how it must of felt, from all sides, Germans, civilians, allied troops with orders to take the beeches at all costs.
Once spoke with someone who landed on D-Day and he said Saving Private Ryan, probably came closest to showing the chaos & just total surreal nature of what they had been dropped into, one day in Dorset, next day on Juno trying to stay alive but obviously it lasted a little longer than 20 minutes. A conversation I'll always remember.

Anyway Band of Brothers is a great watch, regardless and gives you long enough to become attached to the characters. Without trying do any spoilers but the " Friendly Fire " scene that iirc came late in the series, was quite shocking.
If you enjoyed Saving Private Ryan, you'll enjoy this, same but without the stupid back story.
Don't Ever,Ever Buy The S*n. Fucking Tory Scum.

FUCK OFF PUTIN!

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #423 on: March 9, 2014, 08:04:15 pm »
Watching this again. So good.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #424 on: March 9, 2014, 08:07:46 pm »
Bill Guarnere died today at the age of 90.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2014, 09:30:00 pm by Sian »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: March 9, 2014, 08:25:25 pm »
Bill Guanere died today at the age of 90.

:(

RIP to a hero

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: March 9, 2014, 11:09:56 pm »
Watching this again. So good.

Re-watched it about a month ago. Should probably do that once a month; such a brilliant show.
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: March 9, 2014, 11:11:04 pm »
Got two of my flatmates to watch it a month or so ago, made me re-watch it hearing them talk about how amazing it is. One of the best series ever produced for TV.

Offline Trabolgan

• Anny Roader
  • "For The Honour"
« Reply #428 on: March 10, 2014, 01:37:09 am »
Bill Guarnere died today at the age of 90.
Might be wrong but I think he was the last of the guys featured in the show to pass away.
For The Honour

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: March 12, 2014, 01:47:40 pm »
Where would people rank this against say The Pacific or Generation Kill? Loved those series but this has been one I've always meant to get around to watching but never have.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #430 on: March 12, 2014, 01:50:43 pm »
Where would people rank this against say The Pacific or Generation Kill? Loved those series but this has been one I've always meant to get around to watching but never have.

Cannot say.  But it really is worth watching for its own sake.  Absolutely outstanding.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: March 12, 2014, 01:52:19 pm »

Having seen all of them I would say BoB is far and away the best of the 3. Just a brilliant depiction of what it must of been like for those guys, horrendous and yet such a compelling watch.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: March 12, 2014, 01:57:17 pm »
Cheers I'll have download them and make it my next watch now True Detective has finished and before GOT starts.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #433 on: March 12, 2014, 02:07:19 pm »
Having seen all of them I would say BoB is far and away the best of the 3. Just a brilliant depiction of what it must of been like for those guys, horrendous and yet such a compelling watch.

MASSIVELY seconded. BoB is far superior to them both. In my eyes Pacific was a huge let down after Bob. I did though enjoy Generation Kill
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: March 12, 2014, 05:08:30 pm »
MASSIVELY seconded. BoB is far superior to them both. In my eyes Pacific was a huge let down after Bob. I did though enjoy Generation Kill

I gave up on The Pacific midway through it when it came out but I just watched it again recently and it was much better this time, probably because I was expecting not to like it again. Particularly enjoyed the last few episodes that I hadn't seen as well.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #435 on: March 14, 2014, 01:48:26 pm »
I gave up on The Pacific midway through it when it came out but I just watched it again recently and it was much better this time, probably because I was expecting not to like it again. Particularly enjoyed the last few episodes that I hadn't seen as well.

I could see why you did (give it up). May give it another whirl at some point.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #436 on: March 14, 2014, 02:27:36 pm »
I could see why you did (give it up). May give it another whirl at some point.

I don't think I even started it :/ Bob is too good and think a sequel in no way can live up to it...in story or characters. Am I wrong?

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: March 14, 2014, 02:29:14 pm »
I don't think I even started it :/ Bob is too good and think a sequel in no way can live up to it...in story or characters. Am I wrong?

Is The Pacific a sequel? I didn't know that. I haven't yet got round to watching BoB but my understanding was that it was done by the same people but a standalone series?

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: March 14, 2014, 02:32:19 pm »
Is The Pacific a sequel? I didn't know that. I haven't yet got round to watching BoB but my understanding was that it was done by the same people but a standalone series?
Your right, not a sequel, just the Pacific campaign vs the European campaign.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #439 on: March 14, 2014, 02:41:29 pm »

Yes. It's in no way connected to BoB. Made by the same people, but totally separate from BoB. Didn't hold a candle to BoB in my opinion, but was decent enough I thought.