Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé  (Read 3195433 times)

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé
« Reply #81321 on: Yesterday at 05:41:16 pm »
We’ve already maximized our return on him.

At the risk of being boring, from an accounting perspective (and therefore ability to strengthen the team within financial rules perspective), we haven’t. Any meaningful fee we would get for Salah now would be near enough pure profit for PSR, which would give us a huge amount of wriggle room in terms of squad additions.

Agree in general terms though. And more broadly, I don’t think it’s really up to the club at this stage - I imagine there’s zero desire to have him leave on a free, but if he wants to run his contract down he ultimately can!

Does make it tricky though - he’ll still be starting the vast majority of games next season, so selling game-time to attackers is going to be very tough without departures elsewhere. I doubt an Olise or a Bakayoko is interested in coming here to sit on the bench for 50%+ of the season.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #81322 on: Yesterday at 05:57:25 pm »
The time to maximise return in monetary terms, on Mo, was last summer. We chose not to.

Now we just enjoy the final year or so of his legendary Liverpool career and forget about how and when he leaves. He’s in the same category as the likes of Gerrard, Barnes, Rush, Dalglish etc it’s not about any kind of return anymore
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #81323 on: Yesterday at 06:32:04 pm »
I'm trying to wrap my head around what we do with Trent. From what we know about Slot, he wants his right back bombing forward, right? And that's Trent's best role. Presuming we buy a terrier DM, that would sort out the defensive deficiencies on the right that the bombing contributes to. Can Trent be convinced to stay at RB with such an offensive role? If he can, that seems like the right place for him. It allows us to put Macca next to the new DM in the pivot, and that new DM allows Macca to focus forward more than he could playing the 6.

But I think we'd all agree that our best first 11 at the moment includes both Trent and Bradley. If Trent plays RB, it limits the amount of gametime Conor would get, so we wouldn't get as much out of him. We also have room (Owen Beck and Luke Chambers notwithstanding) for a LB to replace Tsimikas and deputize for Robbo.

So here's my question. Could Bradley move to left back? How difficult a transition would it be in general?

At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #81324 on: Yesterday at 06:39:41 pm »
I would be incredibly hesitant to do that. We’ve seen how narrow the team can be at times, often when Gomez plays LB. We also lack left footers in the first team squad as it is.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81325 on: Yesterday at 07:19:06 pm »
I'm trying to wrap my head around what we do with Trent. From what we know about Slot, he wants his right back bombing forward, right? And that's Trent's best role. Presuming we buy a terrier DM, that would sort out the defensive deficiencies on the right that the bombing contributes to. Can Trent be convinced to stay at RB with such an offensive role? If he can, that seems like the right place for him. It allows us to put Macca next to the new DM in the pivot, and that new DM allows Macca to focus forward more than he could playing the 6.

But I think we'd all agree that our best first 11 at the moment includes both Trent and Bradley. If Trent plays RB, it limits the amount of gametime Conor would get, so we wouldn't get as much out of him. We also have room (Owen Beck and Luke Chambers notwithstanding) for a LB to replace Tsimikas and deputize for Robbo.

So here's my question. Could Bradley move to left back? How difficult a transition would it be in general?

I'm sure I read somewhere that Slot plays with one defensive and one offensive full back (which would probably make Gomez a better fit than say Bradley) but to be honest I've read so many conflicting assessments of Slot's style, that who really knows!

I personally hope Trent can get on board with being a swashbuckling full back again rather than becoming a midfielder, but who knows what he'll want. For me though there's also a pretty big question mark on that side of the team in general - having Salah and Trent on one side is I think a bit of a concern off the ball. Honestly I'm not sure how Salah works in a side that wants to aggressively press in the first place, but with Trent behind him (who has been shall we say *inconsistent* in his defensive efforts for a while now) I think again you're going to be putting a massive load onto other players to be covering/helping them or in Salah's case doing a degree of his running for him. I think in that instance you probably do need a physically dominant monster of a CM to be playing on that side for cover - you can't be asking Endo or Mac Allister to do it.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81326 on: Yesterday at 08:22:19 pm »
Liverpool, Real Madrid and PSG are all in the race to sign Leny Yoro.

[@le_Parisien]

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81327 on: Yesterday at 08:45:12 pm »

Well, those are two very easy clubs to compete with for transfers.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #81328 on: Yesterday at 08:52:38 pm »
Honestly I'm not sure how Salah works in a side that wants to aggressively press in the first place, but with Trent behind him (who has been shall we say *inconsistent* in his defensive efforts for a while now) I think again you're going to be putting a massive load onto other players to be covering/helping them or in Salah's case doing a degree of his running for him. I think in that instance you probably do need a physically dominant monster of a CM to be playing on that side for cover - you can't be asking Endo or Mac Allister to do it.

Yeah mate, I have the same concerns. If I set aside my emotions, re-signing Salah is a complete non-starter ... provided we have any say in the matter. I understand why people disagree with that, but the trade-off defensively is too much for where he is with his game now in my opinion.

Lenny Yoro though, eh? That's potentially the next Virg. As big a signing as Scalvini or Antonio Silva would be. Probably Real-bound, the bastards.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81329 on: Yesterday at 09:20:45 pm »
Liverpool have never had a head coach... until now.

Arne Slot taking that title - rather than 'manager' - is a significant moment at Anfield.

It's what FSG has always wanted - and shows power has now shifted to Michael Edwards.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81330 on: Yesterday at 09:56:09 pm »
I'm sure I read somewhere that Slot plays with one defensive and one offensive full back (which would probably make Gomez a better fit than say Bradley) but to be honest I've read so many conflicting assessments of Slot's style, that who really knows!

I personally hope Trent can get on board with being a swashbuckling full back again rather than becoming a midfielder, but who knows what he'll want. For me though there's also a pretty big question mark on that side of the team in general - having Salah and Trent on one side is I think a bit of a concern off the ball. Honestly I'm not sure how Salah works in a side that wants to aggressively press in the first place, but with Trent behind him (who has been shall we say *inconsistent* in his defensive efforts for a while now) I think again you're going to be putting a massive load onto other players to be covering/helping them or in Salah's case doing a degree of his running for him. I think in that instance you probably do need a physically dominant monster of a CM to be playing on that side for cover - you can't be asking Endo or Mac Allister to do it.

City aggressively press and still manage to fit in Haaland.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81331 on: Yesterday at 10:02:00 pm »

And De Bruyne, who doesn’t do much off the ball. Thing is though City have an incredible back 4 plus Rodri. 4 big, athletic and technical CBs. Some of them are proper rapid too. They mitigate for a lack of defensive output from their elite attackers. I’m not sure we have the players to mitigate. Certainly if you could choose you’d never choose to put your least impressive off the ball attacker on the same side as your least defensively minded (and gifted) defender.

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #81332 on: Yesterday at 10:03:59 pm »

Actually Haaland was top of offensive pressing last season if I recall. He's not a statue by any means.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:16:06 pm by PaleBlueDot »

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81333 on: Yesterday at 10:18:47 pm »
Would be happy enough with bakayoko, seemed decent the couple of times I've seen him. The goals scored is a little concerning but he's creative so that would be a big help if he doesn't contribute goals straight away. Let's be honest, is there any out there better we can get? Olise would be better off the bat you would think but there is some injury concerns and he'd cost a fair bit more I reckon.

Any talk of what fee to get Bakayoko? €60 mil would be my guess.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #81334 on: Yesterday at 10:25:33 pm »

Because he scores every week. Like Messi at Barca for Pep. Your output has to be exceptional to be an exception.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81335 on: Yesterday at 10:46:35 pm »
A good window for me?

Colwill - CB/LB
Zubimendi - 6
Bakayoko - WF

All covered by Thiago, Matip, Kostas leaving.

Pretty sure Colwill signed one of those stupid 6 or 7 year contracts with Chelsea recently didn't he?  I get it because of the money but no idea why the players themselves would lock in a long term contract with that shit show at the moment.  Stuck there until they want to sell you to Saudi so they can fund their next football manager signing.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81336 on: Yesterday at 10:57:56 pm »
https://x.com/WilcoFtbl/status/1735004484252680581

Johan Bakayoko vs Arsenal.

I'm sold.  Which means we wont sign him. 

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81337 on: Yesterday at 11:01:46 pm »

He will likely just carry on as an inverted full-back. Don't know why people seem to think there is a problem there when our record with him in that position is nothing short of elite. We just need to solidify the midfield in front of him.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81338 on: Yesterday at 11:04:01 pm »
Best thing for Mo is to stay and leave on a free next year though.

Tory behaviour still wanting to wring a fee out of him.

:lmao WTF?

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81339 on: Yesterday at 11:26:56 pm »
Would be happy enough with bakayoko, seemed decent the couple of times I've seen him. The goals scored is a little concerning but he's creative so that would be a big help if he doesn't contribute goals straight away. Let's be honest, is there any out there better we can get? Olise would be better off the bat you would think but there is some injury concerns and he'd cost a fair bit more I reckon.

Any talk of what fee to get Bakayoko? €60 mil would be my guess.
Seems to be around the £40m mark/what we paid for Gakpo according to most reports.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
At the risk of being boring, from an accounting perspective (and therefore ability to strengthen the team within financial rules perspective), we haven’t. Any meaningful fee we would get for Salah now would be near enough pure profit for PSR, which would give us a huge amount of wriggle room in terms of squad additions.

Agree in general terms though. And more broadly, I don’t think it’s really up to the club at this stage - I imagine there’s zero desire to have him leave on a free, but if he wants to run his contract down he ultimately can!

Does make it tricky though - he’ll still be starting the vast majority of games next season, so selling game-time to attackers is going to be very tough without departures elsewhere. I doubt an Olise or a Bakayoko is interested in coming here to sit on the bench for 50%+ of the season.

Exactly and by the same token how would Salah take it if we were trading him in and out of the side to give his future replacement game time?  He's such a competitor that I'm in no doubt he thinks he should be starting every game.  We saw how frustrated he was by Klopp dropping him to the bench for a few games to the point where it seemed to tarnish their good working relationship.  It could get very messy for the club when the more calculated and profitable decision is to cut ties now, take the profit and prepare for the future.  I look forward to seeing how the club manage this in the summer. 

It's interesting to note that Salah seems to have already come out and pre-empt the club's decision making by talking about next season and winning trophies - as if to call their bluff and state I'm not going anywhere.  Over to you Edwards.

In terms of future replacements for Salah I'd have Nico Williams over Bakayoko or Olise.  I'm just more in favor of wide forwards that have a willingness to go past their full backs rather than cut inside and I think that Williams offers that.  It also tends to fall in line with how Slot likes his wide forwards to play.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
Exactly and by the same token how would Salah take it if we were trading him in and out of the side to give his future replacement game time?  He's such a competitor that I'm in no doubt he thinks he should be starting every game.  We saw how frustrated he was by Klopp dropping him to the bench for a few games to the point where it seemed to tarnish their good working relationship.  It could get very messy for the club when the more calculated and profitable decision is to cut ties now, take the profit and prepare for the future.  I look forward to seeing how the club manage this in the summer. 

It's interesting to note that Salah seems to have already come out and pre-empt the club's decision making by talking about next season and winning trophies - as if to call their bluff and state I'm not going anywhere.  Over to you Edwards.

In terms of future replacements for Salah I'd have Nico Williams over Bakayoko or Olise.  I'm just more in favor of wide forwards that have a willingness to go past their full backs rather than cut inside and I think that Williams offers that.  It also tends to fall in line with how Slot likes his wide forwards to play.

Nico Williams looks like the closest thing to Mane on the market, very quick, tricky and great with both feet, can play on either side because of it.

Hasn’t quite mastered the whole goal scoring thing though, although he is proving to be a decent provider.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

We want to win the CL and the league. It's Kvaratskhelia who we should be after not Nico Williams.

Online RedSetGo

• Anny Roader
  • The Lord Jesus Saves.
The forward situation is a tricky one. With Salah talking about next season already, will we buy another forward without selling, say, Diaz?

I say Diaz because the articles around Slot's confirmation name-checked Nunez as one player he said he can improve, so he's clearly staying put.

Unless Diaz is sold, can't see us spending much money on a forward. Actually, if no forward is sold, I'd be surprised if we brought in a new one. Where & when would he play?

Salah, Diaz, Nunez, Jota, Gakpo, & Danns is pretty stacked. Not to mention Gordon & Doak who, if not loaned, will be in the frame for at least the Cup games.

BUT: if Gakpo or Diaz is sold, then a starting-calibre forward would have to be bought.

And a right-sided leftie would make more sense.

(Seen some analysis of Slot's forward play indicate that Szobo would be an ideal fit for the left-sided forward role, mostly cutting in to his right to use his considerable shooting powers & or create from those "Coutinho" zones. If Diaz were sold, Szobo as starting left-winger, like he was for RB at times, wouldn't be a bad guess)

Even if Salah stays next season, the club will want his replacement to have as much time apprenticing as possible.

One thing that strengthens Bakayoko link to us is that he fits the bill (style-wise) of Yankuba Minteh, who played as RW for Slot last season, & whose role was pivotal in the attacking phases of Feyenoord's game. The 2 wingers share traits like pace, good dribbling ability, very direct when attacking their full back, are creative, & are starting to score goals.

Bakayoko is more physical & athletic, which is ideal for PL.

Yes, buying from the Dutch league has not proven gold for PL teams, & that might be the reason for Edwards swerving Bakayoko. But the player's age, skill-set, his recent season numbers, his suitability for Slot system, & his potential shows a player whose price could double in a few years' time.

And THAT might be the reason Edwards goes for him now.

Wasn't Edwards famed for signing players just before they hit world-class level, & while they were still relatively low-priced?

« Last Edit: Today at 02:19:20 am by RedSetGo »