Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Man Utd, Anfield Sun 17 Dec KO 4:30 pm GMT  (Read 17439 times)

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Man Utd, Anfield Sun 17 Dec KO 4:30 pm GMT
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2023, 05:10:03 pm »
I just dunno about this one,kinda wanna watch it with people at a pub, but it's been ages since i've done that and one yank manc saying something stupid,we'll see...  just win.

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2023, 05:12:03 pm »
A chance to go 6 pts ahead of City. This game is HUGE.

every liverpool game is huge

we were so lucky to have a game the other day when nobody was bothered if we loose

Offline Macc77

• Anny Roader
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2023, 05:13:14 pm »
A chance to go 6 pts ahead of City. This game is HUGE.

It's only Dec but the entire club has to be in "win the title" mode from here, this next couple of weeks could be huge. It almost becomes less about playing United now, it's playing for 3 massive points. Every City slip up has been taken advantage of in the last fortnight, we need to do it again.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2023, 05:33:25 pm »
It's only Dec but the entire club has to be in "win the title" mode from here, this next couple of weeks could be huge. It almost becomes less about playing United now, it's playing for 3 massive points. Every City slip up has been taken advantage of in the last fortnight, we need to do it again.

Agreed 3 wins out 3 and we’ll be sitting very pretty

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2023, 05:35:42 pm »
Joe Gomez breaking his duck with an 100th minute winner would be even better.
have some consideration for other people's blood pressure, will yer.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2023, 05:37:20 pm »
Any win would do.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2023, 05:41:34 pm »
Thanks duvva for the OP.

As you said, we cannot be complacent as we have looked a bit vulnerable recently. On paper we have a much better squad and will have the better team. However we have lost a lot of 50/50 balls recently and we need to improve in this area.

I think they will defend deep and rely on the likes of Rashford to run at us on the counter. I’d like to see Elliott start or come on for the last 30 minutes as he is great against a defensive team. Up front, neither Nunez or Gakpo have looked great and it’s a pity that Jota is injured.

Keep moving the ball, win our duels and let our superior quality tell. No soft gifts for them please.
#JFT97

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2023, 05:54:24 pm »
Must win!!

(But really it is)

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2023, 06:11:37 pm »
Great OP TwoTurtlesDuvvas.
Excited for this. WIll be interesting to see what Midfield Klopp picks for this

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2023, 06:13:42 pm »
Just get the 3 points.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2023, 06:38:07 pm »
I feel as though we're either on the cusp of really kicking on and making ourselves title favourites, or entering a bit of a slump. The performances haven't been great, the late winners can be a sign of champions of course but I dont think you can rely on turning games around from losing positions so much over the course of a season. It caught up with Arsenal last year and even towards the end of 21/22 for us, the spurs game was one comeback too many and then we couldn't pluck up one big performance for the champions league final.

When we won it we were imperious for the most part but got the job done when we weren't. At the moment it feels like there's a bit too much getting the job done over being imperious. That said, we're very early into Klopps second team and we probably didn't expect to find ourselves in with a shout of being 4 clear of second and 6 clear of city at Christmas. But chances to stamp down a title claim don't come round too often in this league when you don't have 115 charges for cheating hanging over you.

Win tomorrow and beat Arsenal and I really think it'll give us massive belief and could be the start of a big run. As of now, I just think everyone is a little bit unsure of how far we can go. A couple of big performances under the Anfield lights and we could be flying.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2023, 06:40:46 pm »
Thanks for the OP Duvva.

I think we will see this through if we don’t do anything stupid. I know they will have a point to prove after last season but we are just a better football team than them. We have not failed to score all season so we will score and it’s just about taking our chances.

I think having no Maguire will actually help them. Genuinely one of the worst footballers I have seen playing at a top level league. Having no Bruno will hurt them because basically everything goes through him.

They will have pace on the counter so we need to have a plan for that.

Hoping Darwin can raise his game a bit after the Palace game. Was not good at all in that match.
YWNA

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2023, 07:24:09 pm »
They are poor in midfield (and the rest), so I'd like Grav to get a start as I think he will get space and time to operate. No doubt they will sit back and look to feed on scraps on the counter.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2023, 07:40:59 pm »
What are the odds for a 2-0 win with goals from Kostas and Gomez?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2023, 07:43:30 pm »
They are poor in midfield (and the rest), so I'd like Grav to get a start as I think he will get space and time to operate. No doubt they will sit back and look to feed on scraps on the counter.

However they line up tomorrow they're worse off all over the pitch than they were in March, and they weren't even very good then. Onana is worse than De Gea, they've got Jonny Evans in defence now who should have just retired, are down to about two senior midfielders and have an attack who don't score goals. All we need is to turn up and I see no reason why we won't, our key players like Salah, Trent, Virgil, Ali etc just love playing games like these, meanwhile they want nothing to do with it. I don't expect seven goals for us but if we're to go a couple of goals up I think it could easily be one of those where you say it could have been seven.

On another note pretty prevalent in this thread, I think people need to remember is people saying 'we're gonna batter these' on things like RAWK and Twitter have no correlation to how the players feel or will play.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2023, 08:19:40 pm »
any win will do! just need the 3 points!
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2023, 08:23:09 pm »
There's a world in which we start tomorrow top of the league, which would be incredible inspiration I'm sure. Would ramp up the atmosphere too I'm sure.

I'd actually fancy it to happen had Brighton not played on Thursday and had Brentford not been without Mbuemo. Still possible though!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2023, 09:00:38 pm »
Thanks for the OP Duvva.

I think we will see this through if we don’t do anything stupid. I know they will have a point to prove after last season but we are just a better football team than them. We have not failed to score all season so we will score and it’s just about taking our chances.

I think having no Maguire will actually help them. Genuinely one of the worst footballers I have seen playing at a top level league. Having no Bruno will hurt them because basically everything goes through him.

They will have pace on the counter so we need to have a plan for that.

Hoping Darwin can raise his game a bit after the Palace game. Was not good at all in that match.
I think the opposite…Maguire has actually been in decent form for his standards and as for the Rat he asked to come off in this fixture last season…he never performs in the big games were he sees less of the ball and is just a passenger.
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2023, 09:09:08 pm »
We rarely play well when there is a large gap between games and we struggle against teams that play a low block. This combined with the lack of form of most of our players makes concerned about tomorrow. I think/hope the deciding factor will be Anfield. My prediction is a narrow/nervy win but I hope I'm wrong and we start put in a performance/convincing win because we cannot sustain a title challenge with our current level of performance.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2023, 09:17:22 pm »
There isn;t a large gap between games as 4 of them played last week and the rested and most of them were on the bench on Thursday and didn't come on.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2023, 09:17:43 pm »
they'll approach this like men possessed following their utter humiliation last season.......can see it being a real slog......a scrappy, tight 1-0, or 2-1..........just need to win...not arsed how
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2023, 09:21:02 pm »
Players will be focused

Gomez at RB with Trent as 6
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2023, 09:25:11 pm »
There isn;t a large gap between games as 4 of them played last week and the rested and most of them were on the bench on Thursday and didn't come on.
Eh? At least 70% of the players that will start will not have played a game for 8 days.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2023, 09:26:44 pm »
have some consideration for other people's blood pressure, will yer.

Well I’ll be dosed up on blood pressure tablets and blood thinning medication so fuck you. ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2023, 09:33:54 pm »
Eh? At least 70% of the players that will start will not have played a game for 8 days.

So a normal week then? What the fuck is there to compalin about?  ::)

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2023, 09:43:35 pm »
Utd are utter shite but I never feel confident about these games.  They have a free hit, nobody not least their own fans expects them to get anything.  Dangerous situation, Danny Murphy was a match winner in role reversal situations in the past.  They will sit deep and try and hit us on the counter using Rashford’s pace.

If we defend well when we have to I see us having too much.  Will go for 2-0.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2023, 10:01:31 pm »
So a normal week then? What the fuck is there to compalin about?  ::)

Eh? We play every 3-4 games in a normal week and rarely have the dead rubber game midweek. Where have i complained, just an observation

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2023, 10:25:46 pm »
Just win. Will be watching with the commentary off. Wish there was a way to just get the crowd noise!

Up the Reds!

Offline Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2023, 10:48:53 pm »
Utd are utter shite but I never feel confident about these games.  They have a free hit, nobody not least their own fans expects them to get anything.  Dangerous situation, Danny Murphy was a match winner in role reversal situations in the past.  They will sit deep and try and hit us on the counter using Rashford’s pace.

If we defend well when we have to I see us having too much.  Will go for 2-0.

That's exactly how I see them playing.  We need to be careful as we've made a habit of conceding first against shite teams and they have the pace to catch us on the break if we get sloppy.
If we play well we win though.
I'm fascinated to see what Klopp will do in midfield.  Will Trent get the nod there over Endo? Gomez at right back would counter Rashfords pace or that big gobbled twat from Argentina if he starts there.

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2023, 10:52:37 pm »
Would take a 1-0 right now if offered. Because football is a weird little sport, and sometimes inferior teams in terrible form will pull a result out of their ass when they really shouldn't, and United are the top dogs when it comes to pulling undeserved results out of your ass.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: December 16, 2023, 11:03:02 pm »
We rarely play well when there is a large gap between games and we struggle against teams that play a low block. This combined with the lack of form of most of our players makes concerned about tomorrow. I think/hope the deciding factor will be Anfield. My prediction is a narrow/nervy win but I hope I'm wrong and we start put in a performance/convincing win because we cannot sustain a title challenge with our current level of performance.

Yeah I get you I just want any win with no injuries that will do.

Utd will also be nervous too all this from some fans of it’s a “free hit” it’s NEVER a free hit no matter where you are in the league the bare minimum is you put in a performance.

I expect Rashford to be back and I was hoping Shaw is out he does seem to play fairly well against us most of the team.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2023, 11:08:00 pm »
Thanks for the OP duvva!

Like you, I always expect a battle regardless of recent results against them or the form of either side. I do agree we've been inconsistent performance wise this season but it's usually been away. At home, we've generally been strong, with only our last home game against Fulham being a not so controlled performance.

Obviously nervous though, especially given we're top and Man City dropped points today, so will take any kind of win.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Gerard00

• Anny Roader
« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2023, 11:34:59 pm »
Always said this will be a tough game. Glad many have stopped talking about thrashings. I for one am never in the 'I can't wait to play this lot' camp. I hate these games - winning is up there with the best feeling in football though so that would be nice although I can't recall too many times when we've been such massive favorites and for us to do it the easy way. I'll go 3-1 please.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2023, 11:46:47 pm »
Hopefully violate these manc c*nts, make a show of them

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #154 on: December 17, 2023, 12:44:50 am »
I know we are better at the moment but the odds tomorrow are insane.

1.35 we are (4/11)

They're nearly 9/1

Speaking objectively for 5 minutes that 7-0 came from Ten Hag thinking he'd completed the mission at United and they were back. They were in a better moment at the time and he woefully underestimated the fixture.

Took us on toe to toe, no going with runners, no pressure on the ball. It was the perfect storm. Could've been 10

If he allows anything near that happen this time he absolute has to be sacked as he clearly hasn't got the nouse for the job at hand

A lot of people are setting us up as 10-0 winners so they can shit on us and reinstate the United glory road, even if it's a narrow win. Especially pundits who used to play. They know full well football doesn't work like that

Give me a 1-0 from an own goal tomorrow I'm happy.
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: December 17, 2023, 12:57:41 am »
https://twitter.com/LiverpoolFC1915/status/1736174943514075531

Our namesakes in Uruguay have become League Champions tonight. An Omen?  ;D

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: December 17, 2023, 01:09:24 am »
they'll approach this like men possessed following their utter humiliation last season.......can see it being a real slog......a scrappy, tight 1-0, or 2-1..........just need to win...not arsed how
Indeed, any win for us will do. Even a scrappy 1-0 goal by Nunez.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: December 17, 2023, 02:09:18 am »
I feel as though we're either on the cusp of really kicking on and making ourselves title favourites, or entering a bit of a slump. The performances haven't been great, the late winners can be a sign of champions of course but I dont think you can rely on turning games around from losing positions so much over the course of a season. It caught up with Arsenal last year and even towards the end of 21/22 for us, the spurs game was one comeback too many and then we couldn't pluck up one big performance for the champions league final.

When we won it we were imperious for the most part but got the job done when we weren't. At the moment it feels like there's a bit too much getting the job done over being imperious. That said, we're very early into Klopps second team and we probably didn't expect to find ourselves in with a shout of being 4 clear of second and 6 clear of city at Christmas. But chances to stamp down a title claim don't come round too often in this league when you don't have 115 charges for cheating hanging over you.

Win tomorrow and beat Arsenal and I really think it'll give us massive belief and could be the start of a big run. As of now, I just think everyone is a little bit unsure of how far we can go. A couple of big performances under the Anfield lights and we could be flying.

i think the belief of this squad can't be questioned as seen with the late comebacks. only the performances of the past few games. its been a bit of jekyll and hyde as the new midfield is trying to find their feet. thankfully we got a squad of players that can create that moment of magic for the 3 points. hopefully this game wont be one of those and we cruise through with a comfortable one with no injuries. I guess that an early goal will somehow calm the nerves and get the players playing a bit.

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 17, 2023, 02:13:59 am »
Doesn’t matter how shit these are, this game just means something different.

I just want to pound some morning mimosas and watch us beat these idiots.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2023, 02:47:31 am »
Game is even bigger given the City result - any win please