Author Topic: Any Baseball Lovers Around  (Read 556682 times)

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
Re: Any Baseball Lovers Around
« Reply #10040 on: July 27, 2023, 11:09:37 pm »
2 games for the Angels today. First one Ohtani pitched a 1 hit complete game shutout. Second one he’s gone deep twice. I’ll say it until I’m blue in the face this guy is the best to ever play baseball. Saviour him because if you see anybody who is this good again in your lifetime you’re blessed.

I watched his first homer earlier and read at the bottom of the broadcast about his shutout game. I didn't fucking realise it was earlier in the day! I shook my head and laughed. Just fucking video game kinda stuff from him.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10041 on: July 29, 2023, 11:10:32 pm »
The Mets moved Robertson earlier in the week (was always a good move with a 38-year old having a good year) but now lots of noise about Scherzer being traded away.

Based on how things have played out, it looks like Mets are sellers at the deadline.

Angels are buyers with the Giolito trade.  They've got a few guys performing really well right now (Rengifio, Monica, etc), so they really just need to get some of the injured guys back healthy, and they could make a run with possibly Ohtani's last few months there.

Yankees don't seem like they're set yet on whether to be buyers or sellers.  Padres are similar with rumors back and forth on a daily basis.

Of the surprise teams that should be buying, it remains to be seen how much Miami/Baltimore/Cincy/Arizona/Texas, etc want to buy, and how much of their farm system they want to give away.  Rangers are definitely buying, but I can't imagine notoriously cheap Baltimore being so keen to trade away top prospects, even though they probably have as much firepower as anyone to do so.

Boy, if someone a year ago told you the 2023 Marlins are buyers, and the 2023 Mets are sellers, you'd thought them crazy.
King Kenny.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #10042 on: July 29, 2023, 11:14:34 pm »
Scherzer going to the Rangers, so long as he waives the no trade.

I know what will happen, the old Scherzer will return there, it’s just how the Mets are, players go to shit in Queens and go elswehere and become kings again  ;D

But it’s the right move, he’s been all mouth and no action lately, just generally been pretty awful. 

Awful season for the Mets, first move of the offseason surely firing Eppler. There’s probably about 3 players on this roster I’d miss if they where traded this weekend.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10043 on: July 30, 2023, 02:52:11 am »
Can't believe the Orioles are back.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10044 on: July 30, 2023, 03:15:47 pm »
Mets got a lot for Scherzer.  Acuna is a good prospect, and they cleared some money off the books (though are still paying some).

That's the one good thing they did for pitching is to get short-term contracts for Scherzer and Verlander.  Sure the AAV is high, but at worst, you're done with them in 2 years.  It's a lot worse tied to long bad contracts and needing to sell (and having no one be interested).

With some players in their primes locked up and young players emerging, all's not bad.  But their biggest issue will be pitching going forward.  The likes of Megill and Lucchesi never really amounted to being starting caliber, and they'll have to delve into free agency again this offseason (or just wait).  Developing young pitchers is the one hole in this pivot.

Rangers paid a lot, but they believe their window is now, so it's a fine move to make.  We'll see how it plays out in a competitive division.
King Kenny.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10045 on: August 1, 2023, 07:32:10 pm »
Let’s see how the Toronto Cardinals do the rest of the way. Feels like we’re trading away assets to go nowhere really.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10046 on: August 1, 2023, 07:52:56 pm »
Verlander back to the Astros.

Mets, good lord :lmao

Hopefully Steve Cohen has learnt something from this disaster of a season.  This all needs ripping up and start all over again.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #10047 on: August 1, 2023, 08:07:15 pm »
Let’s see how the Toronto Cardinals do the rest of the way. Feels like we’re trading away assets to go nowhere really.

::) they havent traded much away. most have never heard of svanson and with the bo injury picking up de jong for next to nothing is hardly "going nowhere". same deal with romano injury and picking up hicks. theyre necessary short term fixes

could really do with a big hitter who mashes lefties now.

but its really been a sellers market. really slim pickings for the most part

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10048 on: August 1, 2023, 08:10:39 pm »
::) they havent traded much away. most have never heard of svanson and with the bo injury picking up de jong for next to nothing is hardly "going nowhere". same deal with romano injury and picking up hicks. theyre necessary short term fixes

could really do with a big hitter who mashes lefties now.

but its really been a sellers market. really slim pickings for the most part

We traded away our 7th ranked prospect for Hicks, a guy who has never had an ERA under 3, as a reliever. This team isn’t good enough and incremental improvements won’t cut it. They can’t beat good teams.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2023, 08:12:10 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #10049 on: August 1, 2023, 08:17:12 pm »
We traded away our 7th ranked prospect for Hicks, a guy who has never had an ERA under 3, as a reliever. This team isn’t good enough and incremental improvements won’t cut it. They can’t beat good teams.

you sound like those doomers on reddit. you had them selling everything after 40 odd games

they swept the braves so theyve beaten good teams, they just suck against baltimore and boston. its been a grind for sure but theyre still in a wild card spot and are due a run of luck/form

what closer was obtainable that would have been better than hicks? considering romanos injury. the guy throws serious heat. he has a rough start but after changing his mechanics mid season he has been putting up much better numbers

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10050 on: August 1, 2023, 08:22:23 pm »

You don't think it's worth pulling the trigger to keep the push for a wild card on track? Though it could be that the Jays miss out anyway - Bichette's bat is going to be a major loss.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10051 on: August 1, 2023, 08:32:03 pm »
you sound like those doomers on reddit. you had them selling everything after 40 odd games

they swept the braves so theyve beaten good teams, they just suck against baltimore and boston. its been a grind for sure but theyre still in a wild card spot and are due a run of luck/form

what closer was obtainable that would have been better than hicks? considering romanos injury. the guy throws serious heat. he has a rough start but after changing his mechanics mid season he has been putting up much better numbers

Blue Jays are 4 games under 500 against teams that are 500 or better. It’s not a new problem, they’re just short of good enough when it matters and I’m sorry but I don’t think what we’re getting back in trades for good prospects changes the situation enough to make it worthwhile.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #10052 on: August 1, 2023, 08:39:47 pm »
i really dont think theyve given up much for necessary additions. not getting them in would have been waving a white flag on the season.

anyway..

went to blue jays vs angels game on friday. was a little disappointed they scratched ohtani from pitching but was prob for the best jays wise! a consolatory homerun from him was pretty cool to see anyway

Offline Dutch56

• Kemlynite
« Reply #10053 on: August 10, 2023, 01:09:51 am »
Can't believe the Orioles are back.

I love any minute of it ...  8)

Online gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10054 on: August 10, 2023, 11:35:09 am »
I see the Cubs have made a charge of late. Although I see they lost their last game.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #10055 on: August 24, 2023, 03:00:32 am »
Arf, Yankees season is hilariously bad, just won their first game after a 9 game losing streak, [only their 6th win this month] 61-65 for the season, rock bottom of the AL East, & have the second highest payroll in the MLB. ;D
#Sausages

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #10056 on: August 24, 2023, 08:31:57 am »
Arf, Yankees season is hilariously bad, just won their first game after a 9 game losing streak, [only their 6th win this month] 61-65 for the season, rock bottom of the AL East, & have the second highest payroll in the MLB. ;D
I was out there last week, went to see them against Boston. They were absolutely awful.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #10057 on: August 24, 2023, 09:36:31 am »

As a Mets fan I'd love to gloat, but....

And I see Ohtani has done his UCL  :(

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10058 on: August 24, 2023, 09:54:42 am »
Shut down the whole season.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10059 on: August 24, 2023, 12:06:01 pm »
As a Mets fan I'd love to gloat, but....

For us Mets fans it’s sort of normal/expected though to have let-downs, and dreams dashed on a yearly basis, so we can still enjoy, as I am  ;D

Both New York teams will have to do some serious house-cleaning this off-season. Doubt eithers GM or managers will be back.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10060 on: August 24, 2023, 02:20:54 pm »
Gutted to hear the Ohtani news.  Right before free agency when he's been amazing for the last 3 years.  And Trout going back on the IL too...

Best thing for the Yankees (other than Hal cleaning house perhaps) is their young players getting a shot now.  And good news for them that Jasson Dominguez has been destroying AA pitching and is up to AAA now.  A power-hitting switch hitter?  Yankees could use that youth and athleticism.  Their team has just been so old and broken down.  Time for them to see what Pereira and Pereza can do and a Dominguez 2024 call-up seems possible.  The rotation on the other hand....  the Rodon contract does not look promising so far.  They need a lot of work and really need their prospects to develop well.  The Yankees have a lot of money tied up in contracts already, and they don't have the overwhelming payroll advantage they used to.  Prospect development is crucial.  Cashman's assembly of the team has received a lot of criticism (rightly so).  The lack of left-handed hitters stands out immediately (this is the Yankees!  Where are the power-hitting lefties?).  The old nature of the team and the lack of flexibility (Stanton can't really play the field these days, and Judge will need to be cared for, and there's only 1 DH spot) is a problem.

For the Mets, at least Cohen's plan seemed to make sense.  They overperformed last year, and they had short-term options in Scherzer and Verlander to bolster pitching.  It didn't work this year, but they were never eating long-term contracts, just short-term pain and were able to get 3 good prospects from the Rangers and Astros in return.  Not a bad result from a failed all-out push.  The big question now is the player development side.  Alvarez is very good, but the Mets have had a ton of other young prospects hyped about (Baty, Vientos, Mauricio, and the like).  They're typically the masters of young pitching, but they haven't found the next generation of great starters (the likes of Megill have not worked out).  Like the Yankees, they can't solve all pitching woes in free agency.  Mets are low-key very good at finding some value outside the org in general to supplant their typically strong rotation (e.g. Bassitt, Walker), so they just need one or two youth prospects to work out and add an arm or two in FA.

For all the talk on the Dodgers' stars and payrolls, their starters (though injured) of Kershaw, Buehler, Gonsolin, May, Urias, Miller, etc are home-grown.  They can always supplant with a reclamation project (e.g. Heaney, Anderson, Lynn) but have a lot of their own developed pitchers, so they don't always need to overspend in FA.
King Kenny.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10061 on: August 24, 2023, 03:54:42 pm »
Seems very much my New York team thing that they can’t develop prospects well! Mets and the Rangers - as bad as each other. 

As for Ohtani - I’m guessing he may need another tommy john surgery?  Teams’ will be thinking long and hard I guess as to what his long term pitching prognisis is.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #10062 on: August 24, 2023, 03:57:34 pm »
Seems very much my New York team thing that they can’t develop prospects well! Mets and the Rangers - as bad as each other. 

As for Ohtani - I’m guessing he may need another tommy john surgery?  Teams’ will be thinking long and hard I guess as to what his long term pitching prognisis is.
Won't get what he was looking at a few days ago that's for sure.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10063 on: August 24, 2023, 06:40:59 pm »
Blue Jays are 4 games under 500 against teams that are 500 or better. It’s not a new problem, they’re just short of good enough when it matters and I’m sorry but I don’t think what we’re getting back in trades for good prospects changes the situation enough to make it worthwhile.

You could be describing the Padres there

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #10064 on: September 4, 2023, 09:14:41 pm »
Yep, right on time. As soon as the playoffs are on the horizon, the Dodgers do their thing and unravel.

After having their arses handed to them at home by Atlanta this weekend, Julio Urias decides he's basically done playing for the Dodgers (or possibly the league) and follow Bauer's footsteps, by being arrested and charged for felony domestic violence.

This is his 2nd after 2019, so he's likely done, court date set for Sept. 27th.

He's basically played his last game as his contract was up for renewal and that won't happen now, he'll be on administrative leave, won't travel with the team to Miami.

Dodgers already shaky pitching roster is now even worse, they're experts at collapsing when it matters most, so yeah, fuck it.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10065 on: September 4, 2023, 09:20:18 pm »
Apparently the incident happened at the LAFC match against Messi's Miami team.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10066 on: September 14, 2023, 11:07:21 pm »
After 4 years Chaim Bloom has been let go by the Red Sox. What took them so long? Really don't know where this franchise is heading.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10067 on: September 15, 2023, 02:51:03 am »
As shite as the Mets have been this season, it’s been great watching Kodai Senga pitch. Another excellent outing today, that ghost fork is a thing of beauty. And his whole attitude and demeanor has been a breath of fresh air to this team and league.

Actually, been quite good fun watching the Mets since they decided to dump players, defo the right move to make. DJ Stewart has ended up being the hero we didn’t know we needed, and seeing Ronny Mauricio take his first steps in the big league has been fun as well. 

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10068 on: October 1, 2023, 10:42:54 pm »
As we gear up for the postseason, sad news out of Boston.  Tim Wakefield passed away at just 57 years old.  A knuckleballing legend and a revered teammate.
King Kenny.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10069 on: October 1, 2023, 11:39:02 pm »
RIP.

Hate the Redsox but when that rivalry was red hot in the 00's he was so unique being a Knuckleballer and loved watching his starts, just blew my mind seeing someone throw like that, he was was throwing 60 MPH fastballs in the Steroid era and making hitters look stupid.  ;D

PS.....Fuck Curt Schilling.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #10070 on: October 2, 2023, 12:03:25 am »
RIP.

Hate the Redsox but when that rivalry was red hot in the 00's he was so unique being a Knuckleballer and loved watching his starts, just blew my mind seeing someone throw like that, he was was throwing 60 MPH fastballs in the Steroid era and making hitters look stupid.  ;D

PS.....Fuck Curt Schilling.

There were days when Wakefield's shit was literally unhittable.

Did a lot of charity work as well, seemed like a really good guy.

RIP...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #10071 on: October 2, 2023, 01:41:14 am »
RIP

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #10072 on: October 6, 2023, 03:03:13 am »
Mets GM Billy Eppler has resigned, the Mets are under investigation for improper use of the injured list.
#Sausages

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10073 on: October 6, 2023, 03:06:12 am »
Mets GM Billy Eppler has resigned, the Mets are under investigation for improper use of the injured list.

should have been fired before Buck.

Starting with a clean slate for the Mets is the only thing they can do.

As for the injured list thing, loads of teams do this, really isn’t anything new.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #10074 on: October 11, 2023, 04:47:34 am »
So much for being no 1 seed, the Os get swept by the Rangers in the ALDS.
#Sausages

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #10075 on: October 12, 2023, 01:56:14 pm »

Followed by the DBs sweeping the big bad Dodgers from the West after they also swept the Brewers from the Central. Enjoyed Bob Costas in game commentary although he is not everyone’s cup of tea. I like him.

He called Lynn’s pitching frailty before he was hit for a post season record 4 home runs in the 3rd innings.

This season Lynn gave up more home runs per innings pitched than Bert Blyleven (Twins) who had held the record since giving up 50 in 1986.

Could yet be a repeat match up in the WS from last year. I’m hoping the Astros can do it again.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10076 on: October 12, 2023, 05:22:22 pm »

Had some friends at the game, they said the atmosphere was incredible.

There would be nothing sweeter than beating the Asstros to get to the World Series. POS organization.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #10077 on: October 13, 2023, 02:37:44 pm »
Loath the Astros ever since the cheating, they should have been stripped of the ALCS & WS titles over that but the coward that is the commissioner refused to do so.  :butt
#Sausages

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #10078 on: October 13, 2023, 11:20:41 pm »
Had some friends at the game, they said the atmosphere was incredible.

There would be nothing sweeter than beating the Asstros to get to the World Series. POS organization.

My late father-in-law was born in Fort Worth and was a die hard Rangers fan. He was too sick to go to The Ballpark in 2010 to watch the World Series, which was probably for the best since they lost. So I've sort of picked up the mantel and have supported them. (Even though I follow the Sugarland Space Cowboys, which is the Astros Triple A team.) He would have loved to have seen a battle of Texas.

I like the Dodgers for their history, but like most teams in the modern era, they've been tainted by shitty/dodgy (no pun) owners like Todd Boehly, so I wasn't too disappointed to see them fall on their faces. I guess I'm going for a Phillies/Rangers WS.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10079 on: October 14, 2023, 12:40:58 am »
Yes.
Loath the Astros ever since the cheating, they should have been stripped of the ALCS & WS titles over that but the coward that is the commissioner refused to do so.  :butt
..and Yes.

Not surprised by the Dodgers getting bounced early; it's a bit of a tradition by now. I know they were missing May, Beuhler, Gonsolin, Treinan, Urias and had Bauer on their books without pitching once.... hard to see any team make it all the way with so many arms out, and congrats to the DBacks they were deserved winners.

Sick of the Dodgers and their serial underachieving though, they need to ask why and do something about it. Not holding out hope though.