Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW - SPYIN' KOP - EFL Cup Final, Chelsea v Liverpool, 25th Feb, 15:00  (Read 24775 times)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Agreed .  It’s a trophy, notwithstanding the fact a win may galvanise the team for the rest of the season.

Is right.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
Want this one for the momentum.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
I can't believe there are only six pages, we're in a Cup Final tomorrow everyone I can't sodding wait.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Very nervous and excited about this.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
I'm buzzing they are going to put that horrible club on their arses, then we use it to drive us forward for the rest of the season. I am envious of those going to Wembley South, enjoy yourselves though.

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Would be really nice to just beat them easily in the 90, wouldn't it. Diaz, Elliott 2-0. It's very rarely the way unfortunately, but I think scoring an early goal could put us on that path.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Very nervous and excited about this.

I know! Hate the build up to finals, they're so slow. A fast start and tomorrow a comfortable win (for once) would be lovely.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for the OP. I completely forgot about Spyin Kop. Always used to enjoy reading them.

I don't really have much to say about the game. Think form just goes out the window and it will be a tough one.

One thing I'll say is even with probably our B team attack most likely to start, I still feel confident in our ability to score. Diaz has been a real goal threat as of late, I always fancy Gakpo to pop up, and I'm confident Elliott can build on his performance Vs Luton and you know he's capable of something special in a tight game.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You know that Poch and Chelsea have a point to prove as well. There have been a lot of negative articles about them lately, especially hilarious when ESPN called how to waste $1.1 billion.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
supposed lineup already doing the rounds....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Who's leaknig it over 24 hours early for fucks sakes? The rat must be a coaching member or squad player.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Who's leaknig it over 24 hours early for fucks sakes? The rat must be a coaching member or squad player.
might need to set the time on your watch mate. it's the thing on the side of it

reckon someone must still be mates with danny ward

what's the supposed leak? no nunez or salah i'm guessing?

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
Looking forward to this but feeling somewhat more subdued than normal before a cup final.

First and foremost I want LFC to win another trophy and see that wall of champions updated!

But I also want to see Klopp win another trophy before he leaves. But then do I celebrate like this is his last trophy and drink it all in accordingly?

And yes, there is that horrible, heavy feeling that losing a cup final in his last season, and perhaps not winning anything at all would be a horrible way for him to go out. Especially if we narrowly miss out on other trophies later. You can just see the twattish narrative people will push.

But also, having a trophy parade would be the best way for him to go out! Imagine getting that chance to literally serenade him off into the sunset as the generational hero and genius that he is. But the league cup is not enough to parade around the city now, is it?

Having said all that, it kind of feels (right now, I'm sure it'll be different closer) like there is more to be lost in losing than to be won in winning. No idea if that makes sense!

Jesus Jurgen it's only February and you're already making me an emotional wreck!

Anyway, up the Reds!

Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I can't believe there are only six pages, we're in a Cup Final tomorrow everyone I can't sodding wait.

Is right Jill.

Just woken up, bloody freezing. Time to de ice the car and begin the journey to Anfield South.

Let’s fucking do this, Reds.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Into these Tory bastards. It’s time to bring another trophy back to Anfield, it’s what this club was built for.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
Finally Wembley day is here.

Into the Tory twats.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks so much Zlen, that OP is really appreciated.

There's little better than waking up on a cup final day when Liverpool are in it.
This is completely what footy is all about.
I'm not going, letting my mate take his lad to his first final. Got a few lads coming round instead.

The half 7 coach's and 8 o'clock trains will be rolling now. The motorways will be full of excited Reds. Everyone fully charged after Wednesday's boost of energy.
Safe trip to you all and beware of nobheads down there.

We need a captains performance from Virg today, he really needs to knit this depleted squad together for us.
A rare, straight-forward win would be very welcome indeed.

Up the fucking Reds.

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
I love the smell of a cup final in the morning.
mines a pint

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
No Szoboszlai, Salah or Nunez according to the muppet that leaks the team on twitter. He hasn't posted the full team, though

We will just have to win it the hard way.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
No Szoboszlai, Salah or Nunez according to the muppet that leaks the team on twitter. He hasn't posted the full team, though

Team or squad ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
Team or squad ?

He didn't say. Just added an X to all 3 players. And when someone asked whether Salah would be be back next week, he posted a shrugged shoulders emoji.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
He didn't say. Just added an X to all 3 players. And when someone asked whether Salah would be be back next week, he posted a shrugged shoulders emoji.

Thanks.

Usual rumours suggesting one starts and one on bench.

Who knows what to believe.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size

It doesn't take Nostradamus to predict the line-up if Salah, Nunez, and Dom aren't in the squad.

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
3-1 No ET.  First Trophy of the season, cmon you Reds.
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
It doesn't take Nostradamus to predict the line-up if Salah, Nunez, and Dom aren't in the squad.

Only question mark is if Konate or Robbo start.

• Legacy Fan

Konate is 100% starting if fit. I think the biggest decision is whether we go with Gomez or Robertson. For me I hope we go with Gomez. He doesn't deserve to be dropped.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Konate is 100% starting if fit. I think the biggest decision is whether we go with Gomez or Robertson. For me I hope we go with Gomez. He doesn't deserve to be dropped.

Who plays right side for them?

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
If we are indeed missing many of our stars, then us still being in with a good shout in 3 more competitions is a bonus “silver lining”. All those players that miss out today will be driven to pick up another pot or three later this season. Win today, and the sky is golden.

• Legacy Fan
Who plays right side for them?

I think it's Palmer. Gomez has been brilliant at left back. Inverts well from that position too and will add pace and aerial ability

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
I'm almost certain both will start.
Robbo will give us more width than Joe.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
I think it's Palmer. Gomez has been brilliant at left back. Inverts well from that position too and will add pace and aerial ability

It was Palmer when they played City.

I would start him although Robbo provides natural width.

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
TWITCHY BUM TIIIIIIME
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks.

Usual rumours suggesting one starts and one on bench.

Who knows what to believe.
I know what to believe - the confirmed lineup when it's announced.

99.99% of the rumours are bullshit, so why pay them any attention.
accomplishes zero.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
TWITCHY BUM TIIIIIIME
I was just about to post something ;omg-winded, analytical, eloquent and poignant about pre-game nerves, but you've beaten me to it.  :)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
3-1 No ET.  First Trophy of the season, cmon you Reds.

1-3. We're the away team.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
From everything that’s being said the 3 maybes aren’t going to be involved, hopefully they are but I’m going on the basis that they aren’t.

Anyone worrying about that (and to be fair I’ve not seen too much of that) just needs to remember that Birmingham and Cardiff City took us to penalties in this final and they didn’t have Virgil Van Dijk and the team they were up against (us in 01 and 2012) were well better than the current incarnation of Chelsea.

Will obviously be harder without those 3 but I’d back us to beat Chelsea given the state that club is in currently.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 09:06:28 am by Jm55 »

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Just read the Levi Colwill interview in the Guardian. Seems a nice lad. His parents are massive Liverpool fans.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Yet another cup final day at Anfield South. We should remember how blessed we are to get so many of these days. Days to be remembered and savoured.

My first League Cup Final was when a certain Ian Rush scored, which back then automatically meant we’d won the cup….except we didn’t! Just realised that was 37 years ago, which makes me feel old, but strangely it feels even longer ago than that.

Despite the loss it was a great day out for a teenage red, on a packed coach, at a packed Wembley. These are the days to enjoy! Have an absolutely boss time if you’re travelling down and COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS! 💪 Let’s bring the trophy back home :scarf

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
No doubts in my mind, it'll be a Reds win regardless of who starts.

Up the Mighty Reds ⚽🏆

• Legacy Fan
Levi Colwill: ‘My dad is a Liverpool fan but he knows my pathway at Chelsea’

Dave Hytner
Sat 24 Feb 2024 22.30 GMT

Levi Colwill is not sure why his parents are Liverpool supporters. “They’re from Southampton so I’ve got no clue,” the Chelsea defender says, as he looks forward to Sunday’s League Cup final between the clubs at Wembley.

There is no danger of divided loyalties because, well, when your son is an elite-level footballer, that tends to override everything. But the more Colwill talks – and he is warm and easy company, mature beyond his 20 years – the more you start to wonder.

“My dad, Levi, is a real Liverpool fan … he tells me all the news, injuries, the knowledge that fans have that I wouldn’t really know myself,” Colwill says, and the conversation turns towards whether he ever teases him about Liverpool results. How about the notorious Steven Gerrard slip game against Chelsea?

“No, no. He always looks up to Gerrard so I can never do that,” Colwill replies. “But if we beat them, I will give him a bit of stick. When I was on loan at Brighton last season and we won 3-0, I gave my dad a bit and he didn’t like it! That was the first time I ever played against Liverpool so to win, especially, you have to give him a bit for it.”

It does not take long with Colwill to realise how much family means to him. His first Wembley memory is from 2014 when, as an 11-year Chelsea academy hopeful, he was the mascot for a Sholing team that featured three of his uncles. They took on West Auckland Town in the FA Vase final – the competition for clubs from steps nine to 11 of the English football pyramid – and one of them, Marvin McLean, scored the goal in a 1-0 win.

Colwill felt the pre-match focus and seriousness in his uncles, he remembers walking out with them and the team and, of course, the goal celebrations. It was an inspirational occasion for him. “When we scored, everyone was going crazy,” he says. “There is a video of it somewhere … one of my uncles has it, everyone jumping about. I just wanted to be like them.”

Wembley has been unkind to Colwill, especially in 2022 when it was his own goal that condemned his loan club, Huddersfield, to a 1-0 defeat in the Championship playoff final against Nottingham Forest. At Brighton last season, he was an unused substitute in the FA Cup semi-final penalty shootout loss to Manchester United. On the other hand, it was the scene of his England debut last October in the 1-0 friendly win over Australia.

Chelsea have only seemed to deal in wild extremes under Mauricio Pochettino this season and had the cup final been a few weeks ago – after the 4-1 drubbing at Liverpool and the 4-2 home defeat against Wolves – it would have been difficult to locate any optimism.

As it is, they enter on the back of an FA Cup win at Aston Villa, Premier League victory at Crystal Palace and a fighting draw at Manchester City. Colwill returned to the starting XI after injury against City, back in his favoured role of centre-half rather than needs-must left-back and he played well. He and Chelsea are ready.

“As a new team with new players, it takes a while to build that family feeling,” Colwill says. “We’re slowly getting there now. Against City, I felt it. In the second half, they had more possession and more chances than us but we really stuck in together and worked as one. When you’re playing in that, it makes your heart warm. It made a big difference. If we keep building on that, we will be fine soon.

“I’ve been a centre-half since I was under-15s; left-back has never really been my main position. I feel at home at centre-half, like I can play my best football, although I will play anywhere to help my team.”

Colwill’s journey at Chelsea has not been smooth. Growing up in the St Mary’s area of Southampton, he played cage football from the age of four or five, always the youngest, some of the others as old as 15. Chelsea took him into their academy at under-nine level and they did likewise with another prospect who lived in Southampton – Jamal  Musiala, who is now at Bayern Munich.

The boys became firm friends – both turn 21 on Monday – and they would travel up from Southampton together, one of their parents doing the driving. That was until Chelsea moved Musiala into digs near to the training ground. They did not do that for Colwill; he continued to go up and down from Southampton.

Chelsea banked on Musiala, they did everything to accommodate him and it had to make his decision to sign for Bayern as a 16-year-old even harder to take. With Colwill, there were doubts over whether he would make the grade at the club. He talks of “going through a bad patch with football at 15” which, as an aside, was when his parents would make him watch games in which his now teammate, Thiago Silva, was playing. “I was never the strongest or the fastest,” Colwill says. “I was small for my age. I’d watch him and think: ‘He’s so good.’”

Colwill had injuries, the big one coming to a knee in the FA Youth Cup quarter-final against Millwall in February 2020. It was not until he went to Huddersfield in July 2021 that everything changed for him and he continues to draw on the times when it felt like a slog.

“The night before a big game I always like to think back and it eggs me on because of how much my parents did for me, driving all the way up from Southampton,” Colwill says. “They would never complain. My little brother would be in the car and he would never complain. Those things give me the motivation to give it my all and that bit of anger I need is a big thing for me. That bite really gets me going before games.

“Because I’m very laid-back, people might not think I have that in me, that I don’t care as much. But inside it’s a lot more than that. Every challenge, I’ve got to win, I’ve got to beat my opponent. That’s the kind of person I am.”

Colwill says it is “crazy” to play with Silva. He was a “bit nervous” at first, even to pass or receive from him but he has grown so quickly, building on his encouraging season at Brighton and an exciting summer in which he was called into the England squad for the first time for the Euro 2024 qualifiers against Malta and North Macedonia. He then starred for the under-21s as they won the European Championship.

Brighton wanted to sign him permanently – they failed with a £30m bid – and his father was surely all over the transfer link to Liverpool. “Yeah, of course … you see it, you speak to him about it,” Colwill says. “But he knows about the pathway for my career, being at Chelsea. He understands everything.”

Colwill has been named in all three of Gareth Southgate’s England squads this season, although he had to pull out of the last one in November because of injury, and there was another boost when Pochettino gave him the captain’s armband for the Manchester United game at Old Trafford in December.

“I’m more confident in myself,” he says. “Last year, I was a lot different. I was keeping everything to myself. But this year, I’m stepping in a bit more and giving my opinion. I’ve seen myself as someone that can pass knowledge on, even though I’m so young. I’ve done a season in the Prem, played in the Champ, played in finals … I’ve done things.”

Now for Liverpool and Colwill goes back to the 2015 League Cup final which he attended as a fan – when Chelsea beat Tottenham 2-0 with the help of a goal from John Terry, whose No 26 shirt Colwill has taken over with the minimum of fuss. He is reminded that Pochettino was in charge of Spurs that day. “Was he? Up the Chels!” he says, with the air of a man who will definitely be bringing that up. Colwill is all-in for glory.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/24/levi-colwill-my-dad-is-a-liverpool-fan-but-he-knows-my-pathway-at-chelsea