Author Topic: Star Wars Universe lastest news  (Read 375900 times)

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Star Wars Universe lastest news
« Reply #4960 on: January 15, 2024, 05:29:47 pm »
The animated stuff is fine, but Filoni is turning everything into sequels to those shows (bar Andor which he had nothing to do with) with all his characters just turning up with zero context, relying purely on the nostalgia for them rather than on their own merit.

He would make a terrible Jedi as his attachment issues puts Anakin to shame.

But that still doesn't answer why you'd prefer to trust Kathleen Kennedy, who was behind the sequel trilogy, the swapping directors and writers for Solo (which ruined an awesome concept), and the greenlighting and backing of the scripts of Obi-Wan, and Boba Fett.  #

If you look at the shows he has done since Clone Wars/Rebels - the bad batch was really good fun (at least season 1 was); Ahsoka was great (especialy if you consider it more like a spinoff of rebels, a season 5 if you will - and I don't think that is a problem at all), and Mando 1+2 (although that was him helping Jon Favreau out) were brill too.  Thats a decent hit rate IMO. 

I also hard disagree about your statements "with all his characters just turning up with zero context" - in Ahsoka, pretty much every recurring character made perfect sense as to why they'd be where they are (example - Hera, at the end of Rebels had joined the rebellion fully, as their best pilot, and fought in the battle of Yaren; she was friends to the leadership at the time and seen as  a vital part in the resistance - so it would make sense that a few years later she'd have been promoted, and therefore when Ahsoka went to the leadership, Hera would be involved).

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4961 on: January 15, 2024, 09:24:58 pm »
Reckon there's a solid chance a mandalorian film doesn't end up seeing the light of day. it's not really got much widespread appeal anymore (or even ever) - but it's definitely shed viewers and interest pretty rapidly.

all feels very same same, and when you see the list of things they've produced in recent years it really is just Andor alone that has any kind of sustained quality (though I have worries about second season, espeically given the writer strikes). that has some appeal to people who haven't watched all the mini-series that feel like boring side quests - I know they appeal to some, but to others they're either a barrier (putting them off watching something new) or a chore (if someone's somehow tolerated sitting through all of them)

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4962 on: January 15, 2024, 09:29:59 pm »
But that still doesn't answer why you'd prefer to trust Kathleen Kennedy, who was behind the sequel trilogy, the swapping directors and writers for Solo (which ruined an awesome concept), and the greenlighting and backing of the scripts of Obi-Wan, and Boba Fett.  #

If you look at the shows he has done since Clone Wars/Rebels - the bad batch was really good fun (at least season 1 was); Ahsoka was great (especialy if you consider it more like a spinoff of rebels, a season 5 if you will - and I don't think that is a problem at all), and Mando 1+2 (although that was him helping Jon Favreau out) were brill too.  Thats a decent hit rate IMO. 

I also hard disagree about your statements "with all his characters just turning up with zero context" - in Ahsoka, pretty much every recurring character made perfect sense as to why they'd be where they are (example - Hera, at the end of Rebels had joined the rebellion fully, as their best pilot, and fought in the battle of Yaren; she was friends to the leadership at the time and seen as  a vital part in the resistance - so it would make sense that a few years later she'd have been promoted, and therefore when Ahsoka went to the leadership, Hera would be involved).

because she gets blame for all the bad but never any credit for any of the good, right? that's the way it goes isn't it?

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4963 on: January 16, 2024, 01:38:03 am »

Diego Luna on Emmy duty for Andor tonight:-

"... but here were are - a few days away being done in shooting the 2nd season"

^ https://twitter.com/kevendc/status/1747059411875684473/video/4 (you may to turn the volume right up to maximum to hear it)

and Diego saying he has 7 days still to shoot in this interview (with better sound quality): https://twitter.com/newsandor/status/1747068566514671619

Andor is up for 8 Emmy awards (amongst some tough competition):-

Best Drama Series
Outstanding Cinematography
Outstanding Directing
Outstanding Music Composition
Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music
Outstanding Sound Editing
Outstanding Visual Effects
Outstanding Writing
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #4964 on: January 16, 2024, 01:10:12 pm »
Reckon there's a solid chance a mandalorian film doesn't end up seeing the light of day. it's not really got much widespread appeal anymore (or even ever) - but it's definitely shed viewers and interest pretty rapidly.

all feels very same same, and when you see the list of things they've produced in recent years it really is just Andor alone that has any kind of sustained quality (though I have worries about second season, espeically given the writer strikes). that has some appeal to people who haven't watched all the mini-series that feel like boring side quests - I know they appeal to some, but to others they're either a barrier (putting them off watching something new) or a chore (if someone's somehow tolerated sitting through all of them)

Believe it is pretty close to actual production. Would be an horrendous embarrassment for Disney if it doesn't go ahead, given the shambles of the last few years and that other projects seem to be floundering as well.

Disney suffering from "too much" syndrome for both Star Wars and Marvel, be interesting to see if they can move forward smartly or not...
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4965 on: January 16, 2024, 01:44:12 pm »
because she gets blame for all the bad but never any credit for any of the good, right? that's the way it goes isn't it?
I think people over-estimate KK's influence. Sure, she can say "we really need Baby Yoda back in the show so can you find a way to do that?" but it's the still on the writers for deciding that the best way to do that is via someone else's show that hardly anyone watched.

If KK is responsible for the bad, she's also responsible for the good - the absolute best even - in Andor, which, FYI, Filoni had ZERO input.

Filoni's influence turned Mando from this cool little self-contained adventure series and into a Filoni-appreciation-special with a level of fan-service and cameo that would make JJ Abrams blush and whose latest season required 30+ hours of homework if you even slightly wanted to care about what was happening (but even then most still wouldn't because Mandalore-lore is boring as hell).

I found this on Movieweb which I agree with:
He sacrifices the characters in the story to focus on other unrelated parts of the franchise, oftentimes in favor of reminding audiences of other Star Wars projects. The Book of Boba Fett spent two of its seven episodes focusing on The Mandalorian. Bo-Katann has a larger role in season 3 of The Mandalorian than The Mandalorian himself. Ahsoka is weirdly more about Sabine Wren than the title character.

This also speaks to an issue with Filoni, which is that he is shrinking the Star Wars galaxy. For a franchise that is so vast with so many characters and stories to tell, Fioni's emphasis on interconnectivity and multiple crossovers with characters constantly appearing makes the galaxy feel small. While audiences love the original characters, bringing in Luke Skywalker and C-3PO feels like it is taking away from the characters Filoni's stories should be focused on. Soon, Star Wars will only reference itself and alienate audiences who are not familiar with every part of the franchise.

I highlighted the bit at the end because I've been saying that sine TFA came out.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4966 on: January 16, 2024, 08:53:28 pm »
Disney are going to make a "what if" TV series based on Star Wars
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4967 on: January 16, 2024, 09:18:02 pm »
Disney are going to make a "what if" TV series based on Star Wars

that's nothing more than a rumour at the moment.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4968 on: January 22, 2024, 07:43:47 pm »

'The Bad Batch | The Final Season Official Trailer | Disney+' 2 minute video from the official Star Wars youtube channel:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Oa5zeHdSwdQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Oa5zeHdSwdQ</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/Oa5zeHdSwdQ

Video Description: 'The final season of Star Wars: #TheBadBatch starts streaming Wednesday 21st February, with a three-episode premiere, only on Disney+.'

More Info: www.starwars.com/news/the-bad-batch-season-3-trailer (I laughed when I saw they included a promise of 'we won't ruin canon - honest!' with it)

This series has had a fair bit number of 'filler' type episodes - though I found The Solitary Clone and the back end of season 2 was some of the best and strongest stories in Star Wars animation. I really hope this final 3rd season is as good... all credit and kudos to Jennifer Corbett, Matt Michnovetz and their team.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 11:12:53 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4969 on: January 25, 2024, 04:59:49 pm »
Something a little different - may likely be more for anyone also with an interest in architecture, prison systems, and mental well-being...

'The Most Disturbing Prison In The Universe (NARKINA 5)' - a 15 minute video from DamiLee:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Yfo21u8bf-o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Yfo21u8bf-o</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/Yfo21u8bf-o

Video Description: 'In this video segment, a fictional prison from the show "ANDOR" is described as a disturbing labor-focused facility, holding up to 5000 inmates in work teams, assembling unknown mechanical parts. The prison's architecture incorporates control mechanisms, like lethal floors and constant surveillance illusions, fostering obedience. The video contrasts various prison philosophies and designs, exploring the balance between punishment and rehabilitation. It discusses the panopticon concept, solitary confinement's psychological effects, and the ethical dilemmas in prison architecture, highlighting the role of architecture in exerting psychological control over inmates. The video concludes by examining Halden Prison in Norway, which focuses on rehabilitation and normalcy, contrasting sharply with traditional punitive systems.'

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4970 on: January 25, 2024, 11:53:08 pm »
Please don't share with our home secretary.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4971 on: February 13, 2024, 11:30:24 am »
'4K80 Is Finally Done!' - www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/2024/02/12/4k80-is-finally-done

(all of the unaltered theatrical cuts of the iconic Original Trilogy films are now available - from actual film reels - in beautiful 4K or full HD... made by the fans)

'Project 4K80: The Progression' a 3+minute video:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EMO94q9mxmU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EMO94q9mxmU</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/EMO94q9mxmU

'Hello Star Wars fans,

I wanted to take a moment to talk about project 4K, why 4K80 took so much longer than the other two, and where we go from here.

As you’ll know if you’ve been following these projects for a while, Team Negative One has been working on restoring the Star Wars Trilogy from 35mm film since around 2011. Before I joined the team in 2012, the team had already obtained some Empire Strikes Back reels, eventually enough to make up a more or less complete print, but these reels had Vinegar Syndrome, were very unevenly faded and blotchy, and while the “Renegade Grindhouse” release of The Empire Strikes Back was an historical moment, it’s real value was as a proof of concept. If we could find better prints, and upgrade our equipment, perhaps we could really do something great.

Well today, the circle is finally complete. 4K80 was released this morning. If you’re wondering “What took you so long?!” then read on.'

^ www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/2024/02/12/4k80-is-finally-done (click here to read more)

All credit, kudos and congratulations to everyone involved - and to those who made it possible to get to this point. 'The circle is now complete' - or something...  :champ 

The fans are doing the best work!

www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/project-4k77 : www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/2024/02/12/4k80-is-finally-done : www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/project-4k83

'Star Wars Fan Remasters And Project 4K77 (& 4K80 & 4K83) Explained' - www.slashfilm.com/1519031/star-wars-project-4k77-fan-remaster-explained

'4K80 Now Available! | Star Wars Unaltered Original Trilogy' - a 4 minute video, from HelloGreedo:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FbyAkc4__tc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FbyAkc4__tc</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/FbyAkc4__tc

« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 08:57:42 pm by oojason »

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4972 on: February 22, 2024, 10:24:54 pm »
First three episodes of The Bad Batch Season 3 were released today. Looking forward to catching up with them.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4973 on: March 15, 2024, 04:04:42 pm »
Andor 4K UHD & blu ray steelbook of Season 1 is available for pre-order on the usual places in the UK - circa £50:-

www.amazon.co.uk/Andor-Steelbook-Ultra-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B0CXF7QQ74
https://hmv.com/Store/Film-TV/4K-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray/Andor-The-Complete-First-Season-Steelbook
www.zavvi.com/4k/star-wars-andor-steelbook-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disney-original-includes-artcards/15294324.html

^ it states the release date is 1st July.

A 6 disc set. The Featurettes:

• Ferrix Part 1: Imperial Occupation - Tony Gilroy, Kathleen Kennedy and Diego Luna discuss the series origins.
• Aldhani: Rebel Heist - Join the shoot in Scotland with character spotlights, rebel training, stunts, a VFX breakdown and more.
• Coruscant: Whispers of Rebellion - Explore the stories of ISB agent Dedra, Senator Mon Mothma and spymaster Luthen Rael.
• Narkina 5: One Way Out - Uncover the Empire's penal system and the prison's stark look, get to know Kino Loy, and view VFX breakdowns.
• Ferrix Part 2: Fight the Empire - Tony Gilroy, Diego Luna, cast and crew reveal the making of the season finale.

The Obi-Wan Kenobi: The Complete Series on 4K UHD & blu ray steelbook is also available for pre-order in the UK too. Around £45.

www.amazon.co.uk/Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Steelbook-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B0CXF859FY
https://hmv.com/store/film-tv/4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray/obi-wan-kenobi-the-complete-series-steelbook
www.zavvi.com/4k/star-wars-obi-wan-kenobi-steelbook-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disney-original-includes-artcards/15294326.html

« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 04:13:20 pm by oojason »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4974 on: March 18, 2024, 05:45:40 pm »
what is Acolyte about?

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4975 on: March 18, 2024, 05:57:57 pm »
what is Acolyte about?

there's a synopsis floating around.

nice poster image anyway

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4976 on: March 18, 2024, 06:43:20 pm »
I'm guessing it's common knowledge as I've just googled it, but there's a trailer dropping tomorrow (yeah I speak kid lingo now).  I'd never heard of acolyte until about 4 minutes ago.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4977 on: March 18, 2024, 07:13:12 pm »

more info: www.starwars.com/news/the-acolyte-teaser-poster & https://twitter.com/OfficialAcolyte & www.starwars.com/news/category/the-acolyte

Basically... the teaser trailer is out tomorrow (Tuesday) - and the series itself starts on 4th June on Disney+.

The Acolyte is an 8 episode live-action series set at the end of The High Republic era in a world of "shadowy secrets and emerging dark side powers", approximately 100 years before The Phantom Menace.

A former Padawan reunites with her Jedi Master to investigate a series of crimes, but the forces they confront are more sinister than they ever anticipated.

Amandla Stenberg and Lee Jung-jae star in the leading roles. With Manny Jacinto, Dafne Keen, Charlie Barnett, Jodie Turner-Smith, Rebecca Henderson, Dean-Charles Chapman, Joonas Suotamo, and Carrie-Anne Moss.

Leslye Headland is showrunner; creator, writer, and director too (Kogonada also directs a few episodes). A few people are quite hopeful for this. It should be more akin to Andor than some of the more recent Star Wars offerings from Filoni and Favreau (BoBF, Ahsoka and Mandalorian) and Kenobi. There was much filming of on location sets - and not so much use of 'The Volume', the writing should be considerably more coherent and engaging (Headland also wrote Russian Doll), and there is a quality cinematographer involved in Chris Teague (also Russian Doll, Glow, and Shrink).

It is the first live action depiction of The High Republic era (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_High_Republic - the latest Star Wars publishing project; set 500-100 years before TPM). The Jedi here are more akin to what we thought the Jedi would be... before the Prequels were released (for those of you old to remember what that was like). There also shouldn't be much in the way of fan service, cameos, or call backs like some Star Wars shows have relied on of late.

Anyone should be able to go into this show not having to know anything other than the fundamentals of the Galaxy Far Far Away....

Edit: 'The Acolyte | Official Trailer | Disney+' - a 2 minute trailer, from the official Star Wars youtube channel:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BtytYWhg2mc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BtytYWhg2mc</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/BtytYWhg2mc or at https://twitter.com/OfficialAcolyte/status/1770102934560538974

So it'll be a 2-episode premiere on 4th June :)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 01:34:06 am by oojason »

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4978 on: March 18, 2024, 07:54:34 pm »
No call backs obviously as it's set before tpm. But being Disney they might shoehorn in force visions of the future 😁

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4979 on: March 18, 2024, 10:12:04 pm »
No call backs obviously as it's set before tpm. But being Disney they might shoehorn in force visions of the future 😁

And maybe Jar Jar Binks, if we are lucky.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4980 on: March 18, 2024, 10:17:16 pm »
It'll be nice to see something else just doing its own thing

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4981 on: March 19, 2024, 07:28:33 am »
And maybe Jar Jar Binks, if we are lucky.

Well that would rely on someone going to Naboo, but I think it's a safe bet we'll see Coruscant. And can finally get the backstory on just how Dexter Jettster became owner of that '50s diner that fans have been craving.

This flippant comment brought to you by the fact I've just finished reading the RotJ 'Certain Points of View' book and there's a random Jettster short story in there set on Coruscant in the aftermath of Endor.

On a similar non-serious theme, did anyone post in here about the beer ads shown when a Chilean TV station showed the original trilogy on TV 20 years ago? They were shown as the first ad in each break and were made specially to look like they were still part of the film.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jSgMWAi9YPA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jSgMWAi9YPA</a>
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4982 on: March 19, 2024, 08:52:56 am »
I’m skeptical. The thing that made Andor work for me was the lack of Jedi. It was like you got to experience the world that Han Solo intimated to in the original trilogy, where jedis are just some lost religion rather than superheroes.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4983 on: March 19, 2024, 09:47:33 am »
I’m skeptical. The thing that made Andor work for me was the lack of Jedi. It was like you got to experience the world that Han Solo intimated to in the original trilogy, where jedis are just some lost religion rather than superheroes.
They key ingredient on Andor was Tony Gilroy who couldn't give two shits about Star Wars and just wanted to tell a great story. Like when Nicholas Meyer did Star Trek II. The biggest red flag for me is when you see all the interviews with cast and crew and they all say how much of a massive Star Wars fan they are and that they're doing it 'for the fans'. If I was making a Star Wars thing and the writer and director said they were huge fans I'd get other people in.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4984 on: March 19, 2024, 12:45:18 pm »
I'd like a story where the Jedi were actually bad-ass and not generally a bunch of wimps

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4985 on: March 19, 2024, 12:54:03 pm »
They key ingredient on Andor was Tony Gilroy who couldn't give two shits about Star Wars and just wanted to tell a great story. Like when Nicholas Meyer did Star Trek II. The biggest red flag for me is when you see all the interviews with cast and crew and they all say how much of a massive Star Wars fan they are and that they're doing it 'for the fans'. If I was making a Star Wars thing and the writer and director said they were huge fans I'd get other people in.

Conversely, The Last Jedi got a lot of hate for not respecting the source material (though I thought it was the best of the new trilogy).

I think the main problem with a lot of Star Wars content is forced tie ins and merchandising, arbitrary episode/season lengths, lack of planning and late reshoots due to an overemphasis on the results of focus groups.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4986 on: March 19, 2024, 12:59:34 pm »
Conversely, The Last Jedi got a lot of hate for not respecting the source material (though I thought it was the best of the new trilogy).

I think the main problem with a lot of Star Wars content is forced tie ins and merchandising, arbitrary episode/season lengths, lack of planning and late reshoots due to an overemphasis on the results of focus groups.

if you've an issue with merch then this is the wrong fictional franchise to be interested in, and has been so for over 40 years considering that's what made lucas so personally wealthy in the first place. they've been plastering 'star wars' all over everything for decades. 

"arbitrary episode/season lengths" are a good thing in theory. make something as long (or short) as it needs to be in order to be good instead of trying to hit some quota.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4987 on: March 19, 2024, 01:11:51 pm »
if you've an issue with merch then this is the wrong fictional franchise to be interested in, and has been so for over 40 years considering that's what made lucas so personally wealthy in the first place. they've been plastering 'star wars' all over everything for decades. 

"arbitrary episode/season lengths" are a good thing in theory. make something as long (or short) as it needs to be in order to be good instead of trying to hit some quota.

I should have said "arbitrary episode/season length requirements", a lot of Star Wars and Marvel shows seem to be quite short, with a focus on pumping out lots of Disney+ content. It's more of a Marvel issue than Star Wars though, Obi-Wan is the main victim of this I think.

Merchandising being such a priority isn't a good thing, the fact that it's been a focus since the Ewok days is irrelevant. I will say this is less of an issue than the tie ins they seem to force into everything (Leia in Obi-Wan, Maul in Solo, the Palpatine stuff in the new trilogy, etc).

The point I was getting at is if you hire a talented team, give them a little structure to work within and then let them work you'll likely get an excellent show out of it.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4988 on: March 19, 2024, 03:54:15 pm »
what is Acolyte about?

The trailer has just been released

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rQGAIu1kFXM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rQGAIu1kFXM</a>
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 04:29:43 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4989 on: March 19, 2024, 04:05:28 pm »
This is the one with Dafne Keen in then, there are many Star War ones I get confused.  :D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4990 on: March 19, 2024, 04:44:21 pm »
I should have said "arbitrary episode/season length requirements", a lot of Star Wars and Marvel shows seem to be quite short, with a focus on pumping out lots of Disney+ content. It's more of a Marvel issue than Star Wars though, Obi-Wan is the main victim of this I think.

Merchandising being such a priority isn't a good thing, the fact that it's been a focus since the Ewok days is irrelevant. I will say this is less of an issue than the tie ins they seem to force into everything (Leia in Obi-Wan, Maul in Solo, the Palpatine stuff in the new trilogy, etc).

The point I was getting at is if you hire a talented team, give them a little structure to work within and then let them work you'll likely get an excellent show out of it.

I quite like a short series myself. tell your story, and get on with it. I don't mean rush it but don't spend ages padding it out with nonsense either to the point an episode ends and you're left asking yourself what actually happened.

and the fact that merch has been a massive thing for 40 years is entirely relevant. if you don't like what something has been for 40 years the chances are that you don't actually like it, more the idea of what it could be.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4991 on: March 19, 2024, 04:53:10 pm »
I'm pretty sure anything set in the star wars universe would ke a dream for the mercy people. You don't have to actively pander to it.
I liked the trailer.  Looks a bit force / jedi / not andor heavy for a lot of people in here.

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4992 on: March 19, 2024, 06:03:05 pm »
On a similar non-serious theme, did anyone post in here about the beer ads shown when a Chilean TV station showed the original trilogy on TV 20 years ago? They were shown as the first ad in each break and were made specially to look like they were still part of the film.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jSgMWAi9YPA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jSgMWAi9YPA</a>

Some good fun there ;D   Although I didn't realise that George went to court over it back in the day...

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-beer-ad-george-lucas-court & www.looper.com/1536224/chile-star-wars-beer-commercials-george-lucas-legal-action

'🎵 CERVEZA CRISTAL 🎶 ALL MEMES COMPILATION' - a 12 minute video from Gimbo (and probably lots more also out there):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9dvEzElQKjE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9dvEzElQKjE</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/9dvEzElQKjE

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4993 on: March 19, 2024, 06:21:35 pm »
The trailer has just been released

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rQGAIu1kFXM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rQGAIu1kFXM</a>

I'll watch the show. I'm sold.

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4994 on: March 19, 2024, 08:41:37 pm »
'“Whatever You Think The Acolyte Is, It’s Not”: Star Wars Series Creator Leslye Headland Revels in the First Teaser Trailer':-

The showrunner behind the Star Wars Original series, debuting June 4 on Disney+, talks about her film influences and love of Legends lore.

www.starwars.com/news/leslye-headland-interview

''The Acolyte': Leslye Headland Teases Clone Wars’ References and Jedi at "The Height of Their Power"':-

The showrunner also talked about how the series will be similar to 'Andor' and 'The Mandalorian' and a possible Season 2.

https://collider.com/the-acolyte-jedi-clone-wars

'‘Star Wars: The Acolyte’ Creator Leslye Headland Talks the Unique Perspective of Her Upcoming Series':-

The writer-producer says the series, set 100 years before 'The Phantom Menace' will have a 'Rashomon'-like quality to its storytelling.

www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/star-wars-the-acolyte-trailer-timeline-1235855636

'Leslye Headland Already Has a Timeline for 'The Acolyte' Season 2':-

The showrunner also promises Season 1 doesn't end on a massive cliffhanger.

https://collider.com/the-acolyte-season-2-plans

'Trailer Reactions Suck! - The Acolyte Trailer' - a 4 minute video, from HelloGreedo:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sKUGidpsVJY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sKUGidpsVJY</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/sKUGidpsVJY

'A 'The Acolyte' Writer Had Never Seen Any Star Wars Media + More Information on the Series' - a 9 minute follow-up video, from HelloGreedo:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/E-fro3NhpJk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/E-fro3NhpJk</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/E-fro3NhpJk

'Obi Wan reacts to the Acolyte Trailer' - 8 minute video, from Charlie Hopkinson (and his quality deepfake sitcom-style series):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/30UP-AlVjdo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/30UP-AlVjdo</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/30UP-AlVjdo

'ACOLYTE Trailer BREAKDOWN! Every STAR WARS Easter Egg You Missed + High Republic EXPLAINED!' - a 20 minute video, from ScreenCrush:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/y_fmSjvqYNc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/y_fmSjvqYNc</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/y_fmSjvqYNc

« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 12:08:09 pm by oojason »

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #4995 on: March 19, 2024, 10:55:33 pm »
It was okay. It does feel like there was a line in there (or two) that are supposed to be meaningful, but will end up meaningless.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4996 on: March 20, 2024, 07:01:29 am »
The wokeness may be strong in this one :D

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4997 on: March 20, 2024, 07:06:00 am »
At the very least I've learnt a new word.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4998 on: March 20, 2024, 09:00:06 am »
The wokeness may be strong in this one :D
What, by having women and POC in it? Prat.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4999 on: March 20, 2024, 09:05:24 am »
Be super cool if we could get a Star Wars series were the main character isn't miserable or a monk.