Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2932288 times)

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Reply #30320 on: May 1, 2024, 12:43:35 pm »
All competitions yes, the numbers above are PL only
I put his PL NPG in brackets.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #30321 on: May 1, 2024, 12:59:28 pm »
AFCON 2025 is in July/August. It's mad that it's so frequent, but at least it's not in the middle of the season this time. 
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #30322 on: May 1, 2024, 01:05:36 pm »
im not convinced peak Suarez (13/14) is better than,say, Salah 17/18.

Salah’s playing in a much better team so it’s harder to stand out. But he still stood out head and shoulders above everyone.

Suarez played in 36 games all season. Much easier to put everything into 36 games. Even with less games he was knackered and went missing in some of the last few games of the season.

Salah banged 11 goals in 15 CL games so that negates any argument around pens v non pen goals.

Salah’s availability was better. Suarez missed 5 games at start of the season due to lack of discipline. Did missing the draw v Swansea and loss v Southampton ultimately make a difference? We’ll never know but good argument that if Suarez is available for those games we have a few more points in the bag for the title challenge. Remember he’s only out due to his own lack of discipline.

He also started the season by asking for a transfer to Arsenal. Does that make any difference to his play in 2013/24? Maybe, maybe not. It’s still part of his 2013/14 season though.

Suarez was unbelievable in 2013/14 but there’s a misty eyed view of him that season. I think due to the unexpected nature, excitement and romanticism of the 2013/14 league challenge.

I won’t argue against it being one of Liverpool’s best individual season in my time watching the club. But miles better than Barnes 87/88, Gerrard 05/06, Salah 17/18 or VvD 18/19? Not for me. It’s in that bracket though.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2024, 01:08:17 pm by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30323 on: May 1, 2024, 05:51:36 pm »
Disgusting how people label him a diver when he's the exact opposite of a diver. He gets manhandled countless times a game. Heard a clip of that wally Simon Jordan saying Salah "is a fair weather player and he dives".  Jordan often talks about media making up narratives and having nothing to back up what they say. Fairweather player?  What a load of bullox. He's stood up season after season right when we needed him. Talk about reacting to the moment. In his time at Liverpool I can remember Salah going down easily, or diving, once. Once. Contrast that to Kane, Vardy, Deli Ali, Rashford, Saka, Maddison. I wonder why Salah gets labelled a diver and they dont
I have a theory .....  Mo smiles too much. 

9 times out of 10 when he gets pulled down, he reacts with a smile.  so a lot of refs / media morons see that as a "oh well, I tried to trick them" reaction instead of realizing it is just how he is - he also smiles most times when he misses a shot.  I've seriously never seen a footballer who smiles so much.

you can count on 1 hand the number of times he's lost his cool, no matter how he's been banged about by oppo bastards.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30324 on: May 1, 2024, 06:04:12 pm »
I have a theory .....  Mo smiles too much. 

9 times out of 10 when he gets pulled down, he reacts with a smile.  so a lot of refs / media morons see that as a "oh well, I tried to trick them" reaction instead of realizing it is just how he is - he also smiles most times when he misses a shot.  I've seriously never seen a footballer who smiles so much.

you can count on 1 hand the number of times he's lost his cool, no matter how he's been banged about by oppo bastards.

But when they see him in a headlock but don't blow a foul, the smile is saying "you're a joke" to the ref.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30325 on: May 1, 2024, 06:15:15 pm »
But when they see him in a headlock but don't blow a foul, the smile is saying "you're a joke" to the ref.
yeah but they interpret him smiling so as to suit their "cheating forriner" bias. 

I love his love for the game, but sometimes wonder if it works against him -- if he'd get angry with the shit he puts up with every game maybe it would it have made a difference in the calls he doesn't get.

Online faisfais

• Kopite
« Reply #30326 on: May 1, 2024, 08:11:09 pm »
Better than Suarez? Interesting.

If I had to choose between Suarez & Salah for a one-off game, I would pick Suarez.
If I had to choose between Suarez & Salah for an entire campaign, I would pick Salah.

Does that make sense?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30327 on: May 1, 2024, 08:43:23 pm »
I’d pick Suarez for anything. Just simply a better player.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30328 on: May 1, 2024, 09:01:50 pm »
I’d pick Salah. He may be 32 and therefore only fit for the knacker’s yard but Suarez is 37 ffs!

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #30329 on: May 1, 2024, 10:12:12 pm »
Suarez over Salah all day.

Suarez was simply unplayable in almost every area of the pitch — you couldn’t keep him out of the action and he caused panic throughout entire sides when he played and regularly punished the mistakes.

Salah’s been brilliant over the years but there’ve been too many games over the years where I’ve thought he’s stinking the gaff out and he gets a goal almost out of the blue. It’s a great quality to have but give me the player who’s going to destroy a back line and elevate his teammates all day. The player he became at Barcelona was ridiculous. He deserved a Ballon D’or in 2016 but Ronaldo was at his peak and the Euros win with Portugal (how bad were they?!) meant he ended up romping it, but it was an all time season from Suarez.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #30330 on: May 1, 2024, 10:17:47 pm »
In simple words .

Fuck him off.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #30331 on: May 1, 2024, 10:19:28 pm »
suarez is probably our second best ever premier league player after stevie

ive never seen a player score the goals that suarez did

his work rate was unbelievable

we nearly won the premier league because of suarez

all of our forwards now lack the bite that suarez had

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #30332 on: May 1, 2024, 10:35:14 pm »

all of our forwards now lack the bite that suarez had

;D

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30333 on: May 1, 2024, 10:43:33 pm »
Still amazed at some Liverpool fans posting in this thread.
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30334 on: May 1, 2024, 10:50:38 pm »
Level of disrespect that’s been thrown at Salah in the media is very typical and predictable
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #30335 on: May 2, 2024, 06:11:54 am »
im not convinced peak Suarez (13/14) is better than,say, Salah 17/18.

Salah’s playing in a much better team so it’s harder to stand out. But he still stood out head and shoulders above everyone.

Suarez played in 36 games all season. Much easier to put everything into 36 games. Even with less games he was knackered and went missing in some of the last few games of the season.

Salah banged 11 goals in 15 CL games so that negates any argument around pens v non pen goals.

Salah’s availability was better. Suarez missed 5 games at start of the season due to lack of discipline. Did missing the draw v Swansea and loss v Southampton ultimately make a difference? We’ll never know but good argument that if Suarez is available for those games we have a few more points in the bag for the title challenge. Remember he’s only out due to his own lack of discipline.

He also started the season by asking for a transfer to Arsenal. Does that make any difference to his play in 2013/24? Maybe, maybe not. It’s still part of his 2013/14 season though.

Suarez was unbelievable in 2013/14 but there’s a misty eyed view of him that season. I think due to the unexpected nature, excitement and romanticism of the 2013/14 league challenge.

I won’t argue against it being one of Liverpool’s best individual season in my time watching the club. But miles better than Barnes 87/88, Gerrard 05/06, Salah 17/18 or VvD 18/19? Not for me. It’s in that bracket though.

Misty eyed? He was unplayable and he was  at that level consistently for Barcelona albeit in a different role to accommodate Messi. One of the greatest ever strikers who came into form on our pitch.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #30336 on: May 2, 2024, 08:13:42 am »
I would pick peak Salah over peak Suarez any day. Oh, and you have the added bonus of Salah not being a c*nt or having a weird fetish for human flesh.

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30337 on: May 2, 2024, 08:40:42 am »
I would pick peak Salah over peak Suarez any day. Oh, and you have the added bonus of Salah not being a c*nt or having a weird fetish for human flesh.

Just imagine if they had played together, now that would have been something.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30338 on: May 2, 2024, 08:53:20 am »
Level of disrespect that’s been thrown at Salah in the media is very typical and predictable

It's no worse then what some so-called Liverpool supporters are saying about him which is the saddest bit.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #30339 on: May 2, 2024, 09:29:14 am »
I’d pick Suarez for anything. Just simply a better player.

Salah is a better player for Liverpool, no discussion.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #30340 on: May 2, 2024, 09:31:34 am »
Suarez was the best individual talent I've seen for Liverpool.

Salah had a better Liverpool career and one of the best but he was no Luis Suarez in terms of talent for me.

Yep, I'd go along with that...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #30341 on: May 2, 2024, 09:33:02 am »
Misty eyed? He was unplayable and he was  at that level consistently for Barcelona albeit in a different role to accommodate Messi. One of the greatest ever strikers who came into form on our pitch.

What Suarez did at Barcelona is of absolutely no consequence to who’s a better Liverpool player.

Here’s what both did in their 1st full 3 seasons at Liverpool. Excluding Suarez’s 1st half season makes his stats look better.

Luis Suarez

122 appearance
78 goals
36 assists
1 POTY season
15 games missed through suspension
1 x League Cup

Mo Salah

155 appearances
94 goals
38 assists
1 POTY season
0 games missed through suspension
1 x Champions League
1 x Premier League

Now I could raise other aspects like controversy brought on the club, how missing games through suspension (availability is a key trait) may have cost us points and titles, putting in transfer requests etc. but thought I’d leave them out.

1st 3 seasons collectively is Suarez that much better than Salah? Stats alone would say not. Salah scored more, assisted more and won more. Maybe due partly to the fact he didn’t miss 15 games through suspension.

Is Suarez’s peak season better than Salah’s? Probably.

Is Suarez’s 1st full 3 seasons better than Salah’s 1st full 3 seasons? Arguable in my opinion.

That’s why I called it misty eyed when people look back at Suarez. People loved the excitement of that 13/14 team with Suarez as the catalyst. Much like Suarez as a Liverpool player that team was ultimately flawed. But people are still engrossed by the excitement of that season. Arguably more so than the more methodical nature Salah and the 2017-2020 Liverpool went about their business.

No right or wrong in this though. It’s just an opinion and observations.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30342 on: May 2, 2024, 10:32:33 am »
The amount of our fans that have turned on him is absolutely baffling, can't get my head around it

An absolute true LFC legend, one of our best ever, and was having a great season yet again up until his injury

For me it's a simple case of taking a while to get back to full match sharpness post a bad injury, nothing more

Delighted he's staying next season

And the "spat" with Klopp shows what a winner he is, it happens, not a big deal

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #30343 on: May 2, 2024, 10:47:42 am »

It's an elite standard so it's comparing the best with the best, but I'd probably agree with that (swayed by their comparative contributions to the club).

Mo still has it. POTY contention prior to the layoff, when he came back he has struggled to get back to his level (as has Jones, Jota etc. which Killer Heels predicted), but the acceleration he showed at West Ham was a real positive and its easy to see why Slot (who no doubt has informed the club of his view on this) wants him at the club next season.

The slow, disjointed midfield has to be alot better next season (plethora of 8s bedded in and hopefully athleticism added to the 6 with an addition; plus Bajcetic to come back) and this will make the forwards function better than they have been, Nunez included.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2024, 10:49:48 am by KC7 »

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30344 on: May 2, 2024, 01:45:44 pm »
He will either stay another season and wind down his deal, leave this summer, or sign an extension.

He still has plenty to give so a modest extension might be on the cards, not least to preserve transfer value when we get to summer 2025. But Edwards might not sign off on an extension for a player Mo’s age.

I’m chilled whatever the outcome.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #30345 on: May 2, 2024, 02:07:08 pm »
First season when I don't mind either way what happens with Mo.  Obviously it would be great to have him back to his elite level and stay, but if we get an offer for a decent amount of money then I think the club would seriously consider it, especially as Mo could go for a free next year if he doesn't extend.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30346 on: May 2, 2024, 02:40:02 pm »
for those who want him gone or don't care either way - which current player will provide his goals / assists next season?

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30347 on: May 2, 2024, 02:50:56 pm »
13/14 Suarez is still the best individual footballer I've ever seen play for this club. Remove his suspension at the start of the season and put him on penalties, and Haaland's 36 goal tally from last season gets made to look average.

Salah is obviously still elite of course, but Suarez was a freak of nature and I wouldn't dream of comparing anyone to him.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #30348 on: May 2, 2024, 02:59:30 pm »
Just imagine if they had played together, now that would have been something.

Torres and Suarez  :(

I think Torres still would have been able to hit 15-20 league goals playing next to Suarez.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #30349 on: May 2, 2024, 03:07:34 pm »
Suarez wanted to leave us for Arsenal ffs. Fuck him

Salah is clear

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30350 on: May 2, 2024, 03:26:22 pm »

Salah is clear
Salah wanted Chelsea over us, fuck him

Alonso wanted Madrid (as player and manager) over us, fuck him too

(am I doing this right?)

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #30351 on: May 2, 2024, 03:27:19 pm »

Salah is clear

Your name sake almost left us for Chelsea also.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30352 on: May 2, 2024, 03:30:58 pm »
Your name sake almost left us for Chelsea also.

Oooo...that's a bit awkward.  ;D

Online Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #30353 on: May 2, 2024, 04:44:57 pm »
for those who want him gone or don't care either way - which current player will provide his goals / assists next season?

Chris Wood?

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #30354 on: May 2, 2024, 04:53:02 pm »

I agree, not disputing Suarez was a great player for us, but it was everything that came with him that was just annoying.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline yes

• no. prog punditry
  • Kopite
  • I got the ill communication
« Reply #30355 on: May 2, 2024, 04:59:43 pm »
Using one metric that's been repeatedly brought up Neil Mellor was a better player than Suarez because he never bit anyone.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30356 on: May 2, 2024, 05:03:05 pm »

It's no worse then what some so-called Liverpool supporters are saying about him which is the saddest bit.

I'm astounded by that as well.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30357 on: May 2, 2024, 05:19:43 pm »
There has always been a lingering dislike for him from certain parts. Right now, they have their moment to be bold with it.

Its almost like his first season led to tall poppy syndrome with them. The Souness quotes are ridiculous but expected sadly

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30358 on: May 2, 2024, 05:37:50 pm »
There has always been a lingering dislike for him from certain parts. Right now, they have their moment to be bold with it.

Its almost like his first season led to tall poppy syndrome with them. The Souness quotes are ridiculous but expected sadly
Yep. All too predictable.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30359 on: May 2, 2024, 06:28:50 pm »