Author Topic: FC Barcelona  (Read 880842 times)

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
  • Phil M's biggest female fan
Re: FC Barcelona
« Reply #440 on: May 4, 2013, 04:33:11 pm »
I'm not totally sure if I'm buying into the "end of the Barcelona era" thing quite yet. They got smacked by Bayern of course, but any team on the planet would get a new one ripped for them against Bayern right now. However Barcelona is just one of those teams that just seem like they'll always be around the top. Might not be winning titles non-stop, but will always be contesting every title they are eligible for.

However a two or so year drought from Barcelona sure wouldn't hurt world football. I'd say it might be good if they weren't around for a few years.

They will be around, though, and contesting for the CL; if they win it, that's another story but I doubt that all of a sudden they drop that much in quality that they cannot reach the semis (I don't count this year as too many disruptions and injuries happened which destabilized the team and the structure). Bayern is definitely at the top right now but it is up to them to stay there while Barca, Real, BVB et al are now hunting them.

Barca needs to change some things during the summer, though.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #441 on: May 6, 2013, 06:38:02 am »
BTW, talking about changes, Pique said that something/things needs to change. To which Tito replied during his press conference that those who want to change something don't think that things can be changed by leaving the club, i.e. they may not be around next season.

After Betis match, Tito went back on his words, said he obviously joked and that he is close to Pique, whom he has known since Pique's childhood. He also said that we gotta be critical of Barca, and that the Barca game needs to improve. But then went on wrong alleys offering his reasons why Barca had a rough ending to the season by saying that the coach (him) was absent for months, there were injuries etc.

Now, these are not wrong factually. Since Tito left for treatment, Barca form has been only a fraction of what it was in the first half of season, and injuries to Puyol, Xavi, Pedro and Messi have crippled Barca. But these are not the only reasons. Barca were struggling against Celtic, Benfica and Spartak Moscow. There's a desperate need for motivator for this group of players. To continue taking games seriously, to keep pressing, to keep running.

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #442 on: May 6, 2013, 10:50:50 am »
Don't worry Neymar will save them next season!

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: May 6, 2013, 11:01:38 am »
For me, Barca's system has demanded too much of Messi. They've lacked dynamism up front ahead of Messi and they've suffered defensively because they didn't spend money on defenders last summer. Villa's form and movement has dropped, Alexis is more of a wide creator than a goalscorer. Their system needs refreshing, arguably by bringing in a no.9 to play ahead of Messi, another attacking player (Neymar) and a centre back.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: May 7, 2013, 01:27:12 am »
^Barca system got built around Messi, especially as of late. So in his absence, it's tough. But it wasn't like that always. Back in the day, Barca would smash teams with or without Messi. I remember Mourinho's Inter Milan couldn't get out of their half vs Barca, and Barca won 2-0 comfortably. Without Messi. And that season Inter went on to win CL.

But as of recent times, it's Messi up front, and everybody wants to pass to him. When he isn't there, players are clueless as to what to do.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #445 on: May 7, 2013, 07:09:04 am »
Don't worry Neymar will save them next season!
Am I the only to think that he will be a flop!
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: May 8, 2013, 05:37:49 am »
Am I the only to think that he will be a flop!
Hope not, but fear so. I think it's a done deal, he is coming to Barca.

Other rumors suggest Barca are interested in Thiago Silva, Hummels, Gundogan or Isco. Now, whilst the former 2 and Neymar make sense, I am not sure about either Gundogan or Isco. Both are good players, but Barca's fetish with signing midfielders isn't ending. Another striker, center back or a right back are much more needed.

Barca already bought Masch, Song, Fabregas for midfield. Having Thiago, there's absolutely no need for another midfield, even if he is as talented as Isco or Gundogan. There's however a need to replace Alves.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: May 8, 2013, 06:08:47 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-og8CNFNk

Was just watching this, utterly mermerising....

Got me thinking, at his phenomenal best, Ronaldinho better than Messi? mmmm now that's a toughie... some of the things he could do with a football were and still are completely mind blowing.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #448 on: May 8, 2013, 07:52:06 pm »
Dinho has waaaaayy more natural and technical talent than Messi, hes definitely hands down the better artist but the better footballer/sportsman?

No, I don't think so. He could have been but Dinho apparently enjoyed living the Good Life more than living for the sport. Cant say I blame him, or well actually, I do blame him! It would've been amazing if he could've kept delivering those truly top notch elite level performances for another 4-5 seasons or so. He imbibed too many Caipirinhas for that though  ;D
Is right. More than anyone else, Ronaldinho captured my imagination as a ten year old watching the 2002 world cup. I was massively into footy as a young lad and had heard of all the big names in the Brazil squad, but not Ronaldinho. Seeing him do the Flip-Flap and Maradona Costa Rica's players at will absolutely astounded me. Loved that World Cup, as everyone's fondest World Cup memories are often from the first they can properly appreciate as a child.

Our headmaster was a proper avid Blueshite and all round football fan and put a TV in the hall on top of this massive wardrobe so we could watch certain games. He was a sound lad and gave us the morning off school for England v Brazil.

For two years at Barca, Ronaldinho was mesmeric. Not a better footballer than Messi, but the greater artist of the two.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline LFCsupporter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: May 8, 2013, 08:01:18 pm »
Does anyone remember this game:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xpa3VlmKH44" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xpa3VlmKH44</a>

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: May 8, 2013, 09:31:57 pm »
Still the best team in the world for me, as long as they buy a proper defender in the summer and a new goalkeeper.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: May 8, 2013, 09:46:54 pm »
Got me thinking, at his phenomenal best, Ronaldinho better than Messi?

Simply No. Ronaldinho was definitely better to watch but Messi is just a goal scoring machine, incredibly skilful, great professional and never injured. He lacks some flair compared to some of the other greats like Ronaldinho or Real Ronaldo but his productivity will probably never be matched for another 50-100 years.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: May 8, 2013, 09:52:51 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-og8CNFNk

Was just watching this, utterly mermerising....

Got me thinking, at his phenomenal best, Ronaldinho better than Messi? mmmm now that's a toughie... some of the things he could do with a football were and still are completely mind blowing.

No mate and I love Ronaldinho probably my favourite non LFC player as some from the footie draft's will testify. ;D From 2002 to circa 2006 the man was simply untouchable and if he carried on doing what he was doing for another 4 or 5 years than maybe.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: May 8, 2013, 11:26:42 pm »
Ah if i were picking a team i'd choose Messi, if i was buying a ticket to watch a game it would always have been Ronaldinho (in his prime)
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: May 12, 2013, 07:02:58 am »
Barca are champions again. For the 22nd time!

Interestingly, Xavi also won his 24th title in his career. So this makes him as successful as Gento of Real Madrid.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: May 16, 2013, 04:36:57 pm »
According to rumors, Barca met with the agent and father of Ander Herrera. This is a baffling news to me, and not because Ander is a bad player and a talent. He is quite good, but it is baffling to hear that Barca are still going for midfielders whilst the likes of Song, Masch, Cesc and Thiago cannot get a look in. Especially for Thiago, who has outperformed Ander in Spanish youth NTs, it has to be a slap in the face given the rumors that Barca are planning to sell him.

Doesn't make sense, and hopefully, it's just an incorrect rumor. There's also Sergi Roberto ready for the first team, so it's not a good time to go for young midfielders.

Offline Sol-89

• Kopite
  • O Eboue, Eboue, wherefore art thou Eboue?
« Reply #456 on: May 17, 2013, 11:21:09 am »
^^ How would you rate Song's debut season mate? Do you reckon he's got what it takes long-term or has he been disappointing? I thought he was on the verge of turning into a really top box-to-box midfielder at Arsenal.

Offline Dani LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: May 17, 2013, 11:39:18 am »

Xxavi, which Barca players from the B-team have the best chance of being promoted to the A-team, and which ones will be on the market?

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: May 17, 2013, 11:49:58 am »
According to rumors, Barca met with the agent and father of Ander Herrera. This is a baffling news to me, and not because Ander is a bad player and a talent. He is quite good, but it is baffling to hear that Barca are still going for midfielders whilst the likes of Song, Masch, Cesc and Thiago cannot get a look in. Especially for Thiago, who has outperformed Ander in Spanish youth NTs, it has to be a slap in the face given the rumors that Barca are planning to sell him.

Doesn't make sense, and hopefully, it's just an incorrect rumor. There's also Sergi Roberto ready for the first team, so it's not a good time to go for young midfielders.

I really see no logic in them, selling him.  ???
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: May 17, 2013, 12:06:12 pm »
Is the Thiago thing just a re run of the xavi/guardiola thing where the young one had to wait his turn and keep the faith rather than fucking off to another club? Maybe the same will happen?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline NealFrom25Yards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: May 17, 2013, 02:46:13 pm »

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: May 17, 2013, 02:52:29 pm »
what's going on there? a bust up?

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: May 17, 2013, 03:18:28 pm »
^^ How would you rate Song's debut season mate? Do you reckon he's got what it takes long-term or has he been disappointing? I thought he was on the verge of turning into a really top box-to-box midfielder at Arsenal.
He was a disappointment for me for most of the season, but in the second leg match vs Bayern, he was only one of 2 players who was decent, as decent as you can get after a 3-0 home game trashing. Him and Pique were good, and I don't think he lost a midfield 1v1 battle that night. Though obviously Martinez and Sweinsteigger didn't lose theirs, and ended up getting the upper hand.

What I think about Song is that he can be a really good asset depending on what is Barca supposed to be next season. That is not clear to me, but if Barca is going to go for a faster, more physical play, he may be very valuable. If it is going to be the same Barca based on slower possession, unfortunately, I cannot see Song being a first team player ahead of Busquets and all other passers in the team. He may be like Masch in his first 2 seasons, a person who is rotated a lot.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 04:25:08 pm by Xxavi »

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: May 17, 2013, 03:26:03 pm »
Well well, what's going on there?
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: May 17, 2013, 03:32:21 pm »
Xxavi, which Barca players from the B-team have the best chance of being promoted to the A-team, and which ones will be on the market?
The rumors have been that Cuenca (loan or selling), Sergi Roberto (a very weak rumor), Jonathan dos Santos (strong rumors), Bojan (almost guaranteed to be gone), Montoya (strong interest from Inter) and Thiago (weak rumors) are players who could leave.

Out of those, Sergi Roberto and Thiago are the two most talented. Cuenca has a chance to be a beast, but has had an injury, and has to recover his form. If a team buys him for cheap, it will be a fantastic deal for them. Montoya is very solid too, if price is right, he may be a bargain.

Bojan is also not that bad, he just lacks physicality. He has been fucked over by the fact that he has been on loan all the time with the BS "option to buy" clause, which means clubs are better off not playing him to reduce his price. For example, Milan were saying they want to reduce Bojan's price to 12 million euros, although they weren't playing him. It just goes on to show what kind of politics clubs have been playing on the poor guy. Now, playing very rarely, Bojan is still wanted by Milan, but now for 6 million euros. I feel for him.

Last question, there are a number of talented players in B-team, but I am afraid their path to A-team is blocked unless the coach wants to be aggressive about them getting playing time, like Pep was with Pique, Busquets and Pedro. For exmaple, Grimaldo is an outstanding young talent, a left back, but Barca got one of the world's best left backs in Alba just last summer. Alba is also young, so I don't see a chance for Grimaldo in near future, sadly, unless he switches to right back. There are others like him.

So all things considered, the only player with a real chance in promotion to A-team, IMO, is Gerard Delufeu. The kid is electric, pace, goes past the players etc., but is a bit raw, like Tello. But again, if Barca are getting Neymar, the chances drop there. I am very disappointed with Pedro's and Alexis' inconsistency over the past 1-2 years, both are dead scared to go past players and are happy passers. That's why I am personally in favor of seeing Tello and Delufeu getting first team time over them and developing fast. Pedro himself entered scene that way, but I am not sure if Tito will be that aggressive with his promotions.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #465 on: May 17, 2013, 03:46:07 pm »

Not sure, but Abidal doesn't care.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #466 on: May 17, 2013, 04:03:52 pm »

Pique about to shit his pants by the looks of it.

Offline Sol-89

• Kopite
  • O Eboue, Eboue, wherefore art thou Eboue?
« Reply #467 on: May 17, 2013, 04:06:48 pm »
Thanks for the reply Xxavi. The pics above look pretty harmless to me, just the 2 of them messing around.

Offline Cybertom

• Legacy Fan
  • Rodgers will lead us back to glory.
« Reply #468 on: May 17, 2013, 04:07:08 pm »
Barca's biggest problem this season has been the lack of pressing by the midfield & forward line. For years it protected their less than impressive defence and gave them the ball in the most dangerous positions. Messi, inparticular, needs to press high.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #469 on: May 18, 2013, 12:13:31 pm »
Apparently FC Zurich women's team have challenged Barca to a game after going a whole season without dropping a point and in 22 games scoring over 100 goals. They put out a video titled 'Do you have the Balls?', trying to get Barca to accept their challenge.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: May 18, 2013, 02:25:47 pm »
Apparently FC Zurich women's team have challenged Barca to a game after going a whole season without dropping a point and in 22 games scoring over 100 goals. They put out a video titled 'Do you have the Balls?', trying to get Barca to accept their challenge.

Excellent idea  ;D

In other news: Tito is going back to NY on Monday for a couple of days to get further treatment.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #471 on: May 18, 2013, 02:52:58 pm »
No mate and I love Ronaldinho probably my favourite non LFC player as some from the footie draft's will testify. ;D From 2002 to circa 2006 the man was simply untouchable and if he carried on doing what he was doing for another 4 or 5 years than maybe.
But what those extra years would add? Yes, they might matter on a discussion of who was the greatest (when people usually take into account titles, awards, constancy, etc), but we've seen Ronaldinho long enough to decide whether he was better than Messi or not.

Messi is obviously the better athlete. He is more professional and focused. Summarising, he is the absolute perfect modern day footballer.

Ronaldinho, as rightuflly said, was an artist, whilst Messi indeed is a machine. I absolutely despise the brazilian as a person (he annoys me so so much), but I'd rather have him over Messi eight days a week. I myself always had a soft spot for mad geniuses and drunk artists, and I think it's fair to put Ronaldinho on that footballing category, if there ever was one. Messi IS, for me, better, but the way he plays doens't appeal to me. Ronaldinho created pure magic, and he was never going to last forever nor be such an uptight professional like Messi. It is incredibly annoying to watch him play nowadays, running like a dinosaur and causing astronomically excited commentaries after each good pass he provides on our crippled brazilian league, and I hope to never see him in a Brazilian shirt again.

History will hold Messi higher and rightfully so. I for one watched them both and couldn't care less about such history.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: May 18, 2013, 02:58:41 pm »
Santos are saying they've rejected a bid for Neymar from Barcelona. We all knew this was coming but you've got to think that Barcelona have to sort out their huge frailties at the back and some in midfield before spending huge amounts on another forward?

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #473 on: May 18, 2013, 03:10:08 pm »
Santos are saying they've rejected a bid for Neymar from Barcelona. We all knew this was coming but you've got to think that Barcelona have to sort out their huge frailties at the back and some in midfield before spending huge amounts on another forward?

Barcelona can play hard ball though, Neymar has only one more year of contract and he only wants to join Barca, they can get a pretty low price IMO
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #474 on: May 18, 2013, 03:12:02 pm »
I thought the deal was for Neymar to stay at Santos until WC 2014, then leave as a free agent to Barcelona. Maybe the spaniards want Neymar sooner than expected.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: May 18, 2013, 03:48:56 pm »
Squad's needs aren't being addressed properly, and this isn't the first year. Chygrinski was purchased, but since then, him and Milito have been shipped out, and Barca have been "entertaining" with midfielders and left backs in central defender's position.

Now that Alves has regressed a lot, that position needs a look, too. Striker is needed, no doubt about that, given the fact that Villa isn't the same. But I am afraid Neymar is going to be shifted out wide.

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: May 18, 2013, 04:41:57 pm »
Now that Alves has regressed a lot, that position needs a look, too. Striker is needed, no doubt about that, given the fact that Villa isn't the same. But I am afraid Neymar is going to be shifted out wide.

I'd trust Montoya to play in Alves' stead. He was rock solid when he played as a right back and is less prone to barging forward and offers more defensive stability because of this.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: May 18, 2013, 04:49:17 pm »
I'd trust Montoya to play in Alves' stead. He was rock solid when he played as a right back and is less prone to barging forward and offers more defensive stability because of this.
I have watched Montoya since his games in youth teams. He may develop into a player that is slightly better than Arbeloa, for example, but he certainly wont' be better than Alves. He is not going to be Alba either. Or Grimaldo (the young left back kid in Barca B). He can surprise me and improve like Zambrotta did for Juve all of a sudden. But he seems to be a good, but not a great player.

There's a lack of top class right backs right now, so it may be OK to play him more. But if there's any Alves or Alba quality player out there, it's a position to look at.

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: May 18, 2013, 04:51:23 pm »
I have watched Montoya since his games in youth teams. He may develop into a player that is slightly better than Arbeloa, for example, but he certainly wont' be better than Alves. He is not going to be Alba either. Or Grimaldo (the young left back kid in Barca B). He can surprise me and improve like Zambrotta did for Juve all of a sudden. But he seems to be a good, but not a great player.

There's a lack of top class right backs right now, so it may be OK to play him more. But if there's any Alves or Alba quality player out there, it's a position to look at.

He is not on Alba's or Alves' level, yes, but given the way the defense was unstable this season, I'd go for someone who offers less in attack but more stability, at least on one flank. Regarding Alba: he has his flaws which were terribly exposed during the first leg against Bayern, imo.

Off the top of my head, I couldn't come up with a suitable candidate for the position.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: May 18, 2013, 04:54:38 pm »
He is not on Alba's or Alves' level, yes, but given the way the defense was unstable this season, I'd go for someone who offers less in attack but more stability, at least on one flank. Regarding Alba: he has his flaws which were terribly exposed during the first leg against Bayern, imo.

Off the top of my head, I couldn't come up with a suitable candidate for the position.
Come on, Alba had probably only 1 bad high profile game. Even in that match, you can only remember Bayern's 3rd or 4th goal. He saved Barca's ass many times. I am actually surprised how good he is in defense, considering the fact that he was a winger at Barca and at Valencia too, for a while.

Alba is cool. If Grimaldo can play on the right, there's no need to buy a right back. Montoya and Grimaldo are good. Dani Alves is rumored to be sold, there were rumors last summer, too. He is regressing, and regressing quickly. If Barca don't find a replacement, Montoya (who himself is rumored to be out) and Alves is OK for next season, though, something tells me that one of them is leaving.