Author Topic: Luis Díaz (Luis Fernando Díaz Marulanda)  (Read 435141 times)

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Welcome Luis Diaz!
« Reply #240 on: January 31, 2022, 04:06:56 pm »
I suspect he'll be kicked around the park more than others by some of the rougher defenders in the league, particularly down to his frame, but the players destined for the top tend to rise above that and show their qualities regardless. He seems like he can ride a tackle or two so I'm not overly worried, but I think it'll take him a while to adjust to the league.

His long-range shooting reminds me a bit of Coutinho. We haven't really had that in our starting eleven since he left and it'll be interesting to see if we can rely on that over the seasons to get us a few goals to unlock some especially stubborn defences.

He's one of those players who if they go on to become world-class, you wouldn't be overly surprised, but at the same time, you wouldn't be massively surprised either if they ended up being a bit 'meh'/unable to further improve their game (a bit like Minamino, or the likes of Babel/Rieira).

Excited to see the flair he can bring to us and how he fits in, particularly after Klopp's comments of him being our main target, but definitely not expecting sparks immediately!

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #241 on: January 31, 2022, 04:08:17 pm »
Portuguese speaking contingent is shaping up nicely at LFC.... including Ljinders! ;)

Ljinders
Diaz
Thiago
Jota
Bobby
Fabinho
Carvalho(?)

I'm missing someone...

EDIT: Big Alli! ;D
Pitaluga
Tafarel
Julian Ward
Baba Yagu

;)
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #242 on: January 31, 2022, 04:16:06 pm »
Any chance we see a cameo on Sunday?
Word up!

He does appear to have a very similar hairstyle to the lead singer

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: January 31, 2022, 04:18:19 pm »
I suspect he'll be kicked around the park more than others by some of the rougher defenders in the league, particularly down to his frame, but the players destined for the top tend to rise above that and show their qualities regardless. He seems like he can ride a tackle or two so I'm not overly worried, but I think it'll take him a while to adjust to the league.

His long-range shooting reminds me a bit of Coutinho. We haven't really had that in our starting eleven since he left and it'll be interesting to see if we can rely on that over the seasons to get us a few goals to unlock some especially stubborn defences.

He's one of those players who if they go on to become world-class, you wouldn't be overly surprised, but at the same time, you wouldn't be massively surprised either if they ended up being a bit 'meh'/unable to further improve their game (a bit like Minamino, or the likes of Babel/Rieira).

Excited to see the flair he can bring to us and how he fits in, particularly after Klopp's comments of him being our main target, but definitely not expecting sparks immediately!

The man if from Colombia, down there in South America they're kicking you and two footing you from the age of two for fucks sakes. He's used to it. ;D

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: January 31, 2022, 04:19:16 pm »
Portuguese speaking contingent is shaping up nicely at LFC.... including Ljinders! ;)

Ljinders
Diaz
Thiago
Jota
Bobby
Fabinho
Carvalho(?)

I'm missing someone...

EDIT: Big Alli! ;D
I guess Luiz picked up Portuguese from his time playing for Porto..

His mother-tongue is Spanish, right? So he increases the number of Spanish-speakers at the club too.

In what must be a UK-first (don't tell the Ev!), I think we've signed the first ever Indigenous player to grace these lands... can't think of another one off the top of me head..

Offline GoodSpirit

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #245 on: January 31, 2022, 04:26:07 pm »
Great signing, very strong in 1 vs 1, with Klopp magic will grow to another level.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later..."

"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog, you must stick together. Then you don't get lost. If there's a secret about Liverpool, that's it."

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: January 31, 2022, 04:38:24 pm »

The man if from Colombia, down there in South America they're kicking you and two footing you from the age of two for fucks sakes. He's used to it. ;D

Yeah I'm sure he'll do fine given his qualities! I just think the likes of Tarkowski, Mee, etc will probably take one glance at him and think they can bully him out of the game. Once they get burned once or twice by over-committing and he speeds past them, that'll hopefully be the end of that tactic used by other opposition teams.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2022, 05:21:43 pm »
He he thanks. I remember some scrote shooting him, but honestly couldn't remmeber what he looked like.

Bit harsh on our Luis, and all :)

;D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: January 31, 2022, 05:38:43 pm »
I guess Luiz picked up Portuguese from his time playing for Porto..

His mother-tongue is Spanish, right? So he increases the number of Spanish-speakers at the club too.

In what must be a UK-first (don't tell the Ev!), I think we've signed the first ever Indigenous player to grace these lands... can't think of another one off the top of me head..

Many if not most South Americans who go back a few generations have Indian or indigenous blood in them. Even the ones who look and sound very "Spanish". They just don't like to admit it. (Especially those ones  ;D).

Just like many "white" Americans have Native American Indian ancestors.

Luis may be the first player in EPL to identify as indigenous - I have no idea. But he certainly won't be the first South American player in the EPL with indigenous ancestry. Not by a long shot.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 05:42:31 pm by FLRed67 »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: January 31, 2022, 05:43:03 pm »
Yeah I'm sure he'll do fine given his qualities! I just think the likes of Tarkowski, Mee, etc will probably take one glance at him and think they can bully him out of the game. Once they get burned once or twice by over-committing and he speeds past them, that'll hopefully be the end of that tactic used by other opposition teams.

Like any of those could get near him.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: January 31, 2022, 05:50:16 pm »

Like any of those could get near him.

Or want Milner to 'have a word'.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: January 31, 2022, 08:43:16 pm »
Think this could put to bed the doubt that FSG are stingy. How many players need they purchase over 40m for fans to stop expecting the world.

Outstanding deal here, and proves the armchair business and Football Managers haven't a clue whether FSG are in it to win.

Excited to see how he gets on, and the push this could prove to be for Mane to reach new hights.

Surprised me this transfer window, I did think they were stingy, but stingy for good reasons.

Make no mistake, the Twitterati fanbase would happily see us do a Leeds if they were in charge.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: January 31, 2022, 10:15:13 pm »

Luis may be the first player in EPL to identify as indigenous - I have no idea. But he certainly won't be the first South American player in the EPL with indigenous ancestry. Not by a long shot.

I don’t think he has indigenous ancestry or identifies as wayuu as much as he is one. Wayuu Wikipedia page is interesting. Diaz is listed as one of the 3 notable people.
I love this about modern football, how these players bring us insights into lives and upbringings so different from mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayuu_people

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: February 1, 2022, 12:05:47 am »
¡Hola amigo! Muy buenas

What are his strengths and weaknesses?
Haha to be honest I haven't seen him play for Porto, and only a couple of times for the NT. He's quick and direct, but I feel he can develop so many aspects with Klopp.

And yes he's Wayuu! He comes from a poor part of Colombia, extremely desertic, completely against the tropical stereotype we've had internationally.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: February 1, 2022, 12:09:19 am »
GHOST" border="0

Farking hell!

Welcome Luis! I think he'll bring leadership qualities and a positive energy to this squad. There are obvious similarities with Neymar and Mane. He looks to be a decent header also alike Mane & Jota. I'm very excited by this signing.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: February 1, 2022, 01:10:23 am »
Farking hell!

Welcome Luis! I think he'll bring leadership qualities and a positive energy to this squad. There are obvious similarities with Neymar and Mane. He looks to be a decent header also alike Mane & Jota. I'm very excited by this signing.
His action and play reminds me of Neymar. Same energy and body type.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: February 1, 2022, 01:25:50 am »
Oh look we made a quality signing.
 :o

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: February 1, 2022, 01:58:48 am »

Hoo? 
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #258 on: February 1, 2022, 02:08:35 am »

Good job the club didn't listen to the people stating that we had to make do with the likes of Origi and Minamino as viable front three options. We have paid around £175m for Diaz, Jota, Salah, Mane and Firmino over 7 years.

To put that in to perspective Pogba, Grealish and Lukaku were around £100m each.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: February 1, 2022, 04:26:43 am »

The career of Perkins was so stellar that in the late 1950s he was invited to trial with none other than Liverpool FC. He ended up at Merseyside rivals Everton before finally trialling with Manchester United a few years later. In those days it was almost unheard of for any Australian to get invited by those great teams for a trial, let alone for an Aboriginal Australian player from Adelaide.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: February 1, 2022, 05:08:56 am »
With Jota's super form and with Diaz now - Mane and Salah better hurry up or you'll play cup games...
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline WestieRed

• Main Stander
  • BELIEVER
« Reply #261 on: February 1, 2022, 06:07:56 am »
With Jota's super form and with Diaz now - Mane and Salah better hurry up or you'll play cup games...

I know you only mean that tongue in cheek mate (I think! :)), but it's a great point. All of a sudden Diogo and this guy, more back from injury and we have great depth to a) rest/ the current front 3, and/or b) give the opposition another thing to think about when trying to prepare for our line-up.

I can't wait to see the second half of the season play out, our Coach and our team should be climbing into it! Up the Magical Reds!!

This is a great signing, especially as others have said here, when you consider that Klopp will almost certainly improve Luis as a player. Can't wait, as I say!

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #262 on: February 1, 2022, 06:22:03 am »

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: February 1, 2022, 07:06:26 am »
So this one's full name is Luis Fernando Díaz Marulanda, and the previous rather good was Luis Alberto Suárez Díaz. I believe he'll be the same success. Without the biting.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: February 1, 2022, 07:07:39 am »

I don’t think he has indigenous ancestry or identifies as wayuu as much as he is one. Wayuu Wikipedia page is interesting. Diaz is listed as one of the 3 notable people.
I love this about modern football, how these players bring us insights into lives and upbringings so different from mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayuu_people

That's great.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #265 on: February 1, 2022, 08:15:16 am »
Think this signing will give Mo and anyone who may be hesitant to re-sign in the upcoming windows, the assurance that we're not done yet!
This is the place to be if you want to win trophies.
Timely boost to our hopes for the title or the CL AND FA.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2022, 08:17:24 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: February 1, 2022, 08:18:02 am »
The career of Perkins was so stellar that in the late 1950s he was invited to trial with none other than Liverpool FC. He ended up at Merseyside rivals Everton before finally trialling with Manchester United a few years later. In those days it was almost unheard of for any Australian to get invited by those great teams for a trial, let alone for an Aboriginal Australian player from Adelaide.
>:( Everton beating us to those "firsts" yet again!

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: February 1, 2022, 10:21:58 am »
Looking forward to Luis Diaz being gradually integrated into the team the coming weeks. Would not be surprised either if he starts to contribute almost immediately

Still pinching myself that our front-3 now consists of Salah, Mane, Jota, Bobby and Luis Diaz. Unbelievable. And we still have Divock and Taki to count on if needed
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: February 1, 2022, 10:31:19 am »
Reminder he is in action tonight at 11.30pm vs Argentina  :wave

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: February 1, 2022, 10:39:21 am »
Many if not most South Americans who go back a few generations have Indian or indigenous blood in them. Even the ones who look and sound very "Spanish". They just don't like to admit it. (Especially those ones  ;D).

Just like many "white" Americans have Native American Indian ancestors.

Yep, I agree with you on that one.
South Americans in particular are incredibly 'mixed-race'.

Was just making the point that Luis Diaz appears the be the first 'purely indigenous' player from South America to arrive in the UK.
Wayuu to go!  :D
His dad looks proper indigenous too :)

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #270 on: February 1, 2022, 11:03:31 am »
Will he play against Cardiff?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #271 on: February 1, 2022, 11:05:10 am »
Will he play against Cardiff?

He’s playing tonight in Argentina. We’d normally throw our Brazilians straight back into a weekend game, especially with it being on a Sunday, but given he hadn’t met any of the squad or hasn’t trained with us at all yet maybe he’ll be on the bench?

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: February 1, 2022, 11:21:12 am »
He’s playing tonight in Argentina. We’d normally throw our Brazilians straight back into a weekend game, especially with it being on a Sunday, but given he hadn’t met any of the squad or hasn’t trained with us at all yet maybe he’ll be on the bench?

Wasn't it said that he wouldn't get a work permit in time?

Ironically I just tried to find out by Googling Luis Diaz and Cardiff, and this came up...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/south-american-wonderkid-luis-diaz-16054672

And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: February 1, 2022, 11:25:54 am »
Just to say it's worth looking out the Discord site for Anfield Index just to watch the Wyscout video they've shared - 24 minutes of more depth than you get on the youtube videos (times he's set up chances, times he's gone the extra mile to track back (particularly for Colombia)) - it's phenomenal - very reminiscent of Salah really, just with that Rivaldo-esque ability to cut a ball across himself at pace (not the Ronaldo trick behind his standing leg, but in front through a narrow gap). So good at getting across his man and taking him out of the game.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #274 on: February 1, 2022, 11:42:38 am »
Just to say it's worth looking out the Discord site for Anfield Index just to watch the Wyscout video they've shared - 24 minutes of more depth than you get on the youtube videos (times he's set up chances, times he's gone the extra mile to track back (particularly for Colombia)) - it's phenomenal - very reminiscent of Salah really, just with that Rivaldo-esque ability to cut a ball across himself at pace (not the Ronaldo trick behind his standing leg, but in front through a narrow gap). So good at getting across his man and taking him out of the game.
god i really want to see this
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #275 on: February 1, 2022, 11:57:40 am »

Yes, the latter is very noticeable. Once he's passed you he's gone. You don't get a second chance.

Apparently he was criticised when he was younger for not getting his head up enough, but there's plenty of evidence that this problem has been solved. It's the main reason I don't rate St Maximin (that and his obvious weight issues). It can undo everything else.

The main feeling you get from watching Diaz compilations is how sluggish every other player on the pitch seems.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Shankly!Shankly!

• Anny Roader
  • JUSTICE
    • Inside Forward
« Reply #276 on: February 1, 2022, 12:01:25 pm »
'At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.'

https://www.insideforward.co.uk/

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #277 on: February 1, 2022, 12:14:30 pm »
So this one's full name is Luis Fernando Díaz Marulanda, and the previous rather good was Luis Alberto Suárez Díaz. I believe he'll be the same success. Without the biting.

That's some claim!!

I'm reserving judgment. I so hope we've pulled off a transfer master stroke, but want to see him playing for us and in the Premier League before deciding whether it's a great signing or not. Its not the slam-dunk most are believing.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: February 1, 2022, 01:25:09 pm »
https://streamable.com/7ds767

thanks for the clip!

hope there is some vids of his full game or every touch compilation soon. going to be interesting viewing.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: February 1, 2022, 01:29:09 pm »
Apart from us and Spuds, were any other clubs in for him?

If not, why not?

He looks like a very decent acquisition  :lickin