Author Topic: Parks And Recreation - NBC Comedy by American Office creators  (Read 65625 times)

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
Re: Parks And Recreation - NBC Comedy by American Office creators
« Reply #240 on: March 7, 2013, 08:25:06 pm »
Stick with it mate.

First season isn't great but it massively picks up in season 2 (despite what sideshowme says! ;)) and in my opinion it's now the best comedy currently on TV.

ha! :)

actually, my view is that season 2 is the show at its absolute peak.  season 1 is dark and brilliant, but still finding its way and necessarily concentrates only on the main characters.  season 2 is comedy perfection.  after that... graceful decline, hit and miss.  the show never recovers from brandanowicz leaving, to be honest.

and yes, i watched a couple of episodes of season 1 to see if my memory was playing tricks on me, and suddenly i'm near the end of season 2, because it's just that good :)
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: March 7, 2013, 08:48:00 pm »
Yeah I re-watched the first couple on BBC last night and it was amazing how different the characters were.  It's like they had this idea but they weren't really sure exactly where they were going with it so they just kind of made it up as they went. 

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: March 9, 2013, 09:00:12 am »
It gets much, much better. I don't like Season 1, bar the odd moment. But Season 2 onwards is fantastic. Bar one person on this thread, the general consensus is that the first season isn't all that impressive!

I've only seen the first two episodes on BBC4 and liked them both. I like the US Office as well and it's very similar to that (no surprise given Greg Daniels' involvement) so looking forward to the rest of the episodes.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #243 on: March 14, 2013, 02:45:22 pm »
HAHAHA WTF man?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yDdS3vy4Iso" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yDdS3vy4Iso</a>

Alison Brie...*sighs*
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #244 on: March 14, 2013, 10:01:54 pm »
HAHAHA WTF man?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yDdS3vy4Iso" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yDdS3vy4Iso</a>

Alison Brie...*sighs*

Is that Devin from "Friday Night Lights?" Yes, yes it is! And, Alison Brie (clears his throat).
Justice For The 96

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #245 on: March 16, 2013, 12:29:19 am »
That is truly the strangest video I've ever seen.

Another great episode of Parks & Rec this week. Really enjoyed the Ann/April plot and always good to see Leslie and Ron go head-to-head. Plus, I'd totally watch Lights, Camera, Perd.

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: March 16, 2013, 08:08:44 am »
That is truly the strangest video I've ever seen.

Another great episode of Parks & Rec this week. Really enjoyed the Ann/April plot and always good to see Leslie and Ron go head-to-head. Plus, I'd totally watch Lights, Camera, Perd.

"It's a heart-warming story, but it's just not believable, which is why I give E.T. one and half stars."

:lmao

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #247 on: March 16, 2013, 11:49:44 am »
Very good episode indeed. Made me laugh a lot of times.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #248 on: March 16, 2013, 11:54:27 am »
People saying the first series isnt very good but the second is great, would it be worth me skipping the first or do you have to watch to 'get' the second? I havent seen any of it.
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: March 16, 2013, 12:25:25 pm »
People saying the first series isnt very good but the second is great, would it be worth me skipping the first or do you have to watch to 'get' the second? I havent seen any of it.

You could, but I say just bear with the first season. Only six episodes long, and does improve as it goes along.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #250 on: March 18, 2013, 04:29:00 pm »
How long does this take to 'get good?' I've a few friends who raved about it (although they don't like Community, which I love) and I tried to stick out the opening episode. I've never found Poehler that funny unless she's doing the whole smug thing with her husband Arnett. I didn't get through the first episode. It made me laugh once, and that was in a sort of ironic way as they tried to save the episode with some slapstick when she fell in the pit.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: March 18, 2013, 04:29:52 pm »

I started watching the series with the second season and didn't really have any trouble with the plot lines and story. I went back and watched the first season later and even though it does have a certain charm to it (Leslie is way awkward if you can imagine and the supporting characters are not really fleshed out at all), in my humble opinion, the show really takes off from the second season.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: March 18, 2013, 04:53:02 pm »
How long does this take to 'get good?' I've a few friends who raved about it (although they don't like Community, which I love) and I tried to stick out the opening episode. I've never found Poehler that funny unless she's doing the whole smug thing with her husband Arnett. I didn't get through the first episode. It made me laugh once, and that was in a sort of ironic way as they tried to save the episode with some slapstick when she fell in the pit.

6 episodes or ~132 minutes. The first season is a bit awkward, but it's only six episodes long. Second season it takes off. The first isn't even bad, just not great, so if you can put up with roughly two hours of decent comedy it's well worth it.
Justice For The 96

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: March 18, 2013, 06:14:46 pm »
Going to see Aziz Ansari in Cleveland in May. Heck yeah!

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #254 on: March 18, 2013, 08:22:09 pm »

If it helps Im on my 2nd try of Community, and think i may get into. Watched episode 7 of the 1st series last night, and only managed to episode 4 the last time. To me Parks and Rec is just some filler TV. It takes A LOT for me to laugh at TV comedies/Film comedies, unless Its Always Sunny In Philly or The League.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: March 19, 2013, 04:15:23 am »
another bog-standard, characterless episode with a few killer lines as always.  i actually watched the latest ep straight after watching the season 3 finale.  towards the end of season three the previously consistent show was beginning to fall into the lazy traps that are its standard now, but even so the difference in quality between then and now is so glaringly obvious.

another thing that is obvious is leslie's makeup in the latest episode.  had she been beaten up or something?
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #256 on: March 19, 2013, 08:50:32 pm »
Loved the Swansons laugh. A gif of it would come quite handy here.

Offline DominicQ

• Kopite
« Reply #257 on: March 19, 2013, 09:01:42 pm »
Loved the Swansons laugh. A gif of it would come quite handy here.

Love Ron so much.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: March 19, 2013, 10:17:02 pm »
I haven't watched enough Parks and Rec to say absolutely, but it does seem to be included in the ever increasing breed of comedies that relies on one funny character to save the episode time and time again. HIMYM (Barney), TBBT (Sheldon), New Girl (Schmidt) etc all fall into the same trap. They're rather poor shows (HIMYM used to be decent but has way outstayed it's welcome) that have to resort to over-using their one funny character to cover up for the other crushing inadequacies. 
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: March 20, 2013, 12:28:20 am »
I haven't watched enough Parks and Rec to say absolutely, but it does seem to be included in the ever increasing breed of comedies that relies on one funny character to save the episode time and time again. HIMYM (Barney), TBBT (Sheldon), New Girl (Schmidt) etc all fall into the same trap. They're rather poor shows (HIMYM used to be decent but has way outstayed it's welcome) that have to resort to over-using their one funny character to cover up for the other crushing inadequacies.

Who's the one funny character in Parks and Rec?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: March 20, 2013, 12:29:24 am »
another bog-standard, characterless episode with a few killer lines as always.  i actually watched the latest ep straight after watching the season 3 finale.  towards the end of season three the previously consistent show was beginning to fall into the lazy traps that are its standard now, but even so the difference in quality between then and now is so glaringly obvious.

another thing that is obvious is leslie's makeup in the latest episode.  had she been beaten up or something?

I know an episode was good when you say the opposite!

Nah, couldn't be further from the truth. Every show is going to have a 'funniest' character - in Parks and Rec, it's hard to look past Ron Swanson or Andy Dwyer, both fantastic comedy characters. But even if you removed them from the show, it would still be brilliant. The rest of the main cast are all superb - Rashida Jones is the only possible weak link, and she can still be very funny at times. And beyond the main cast, there's a whole host of recurring characters - Jean Ralphio, Perd Hapley, Joan Callamezzo, Tammy Swanson - who are all hilarious. P&R is no Big Bang Theory. I doubt there's a show out there just now with a deeper roster of brilliant comedy creations. Not even Community can match P&R in that regard.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:32:11 am by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: March 20, 2013, 03:28:15 am »
I know an episode was good when you say the opposite!

;D
it really is astonishing how completely we disagree on just about everything to do with TV.

Nah, couldn't be further from the truth. Every show is going to have a 'funniest' character - in Parks and Rec, it's hard to look past Ron Swanson or Andy Dwyer, both fantastic comedy characters. But even if you removed them from the show, it would still be brilliant. The rest of the main cast are all superb - Rashida Jones is the only possible weak link, and she can still be very funny at times. And beyond the main cast, there's a whole host of recurring characters - Jean Ralphio, Perd Hapley, Joan Callamezzo, Tammy Swanson - who are all hilarious. P&R is no Big Bang Theory. I doubt there's a show out there just now with a deeper roster of brilliant comedy creations. Not even Community can match P&R in that regard.

i do agree to an extent here, though.  parks and rec at the moment is definitely saved from the tired caricatures in the main cast by the panoply of recurring characters, concepts, places, media outlets, history etc. 

it's suffered a similar fate (albeit nowhere near as bad) to modern simpsons in that respect... the main family has been transformed into sub-macfarlane rubbish, and it's only the rest of springfield that raises even a faint vestige of a laugh from time to time.

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: March 20, 2013, 08:27:35 am »
;D
it really is astonishing how completely we disagree on just about everything to do with TV.

i do agree to an extent here, though.  parks and rec at the moment is definitely saved from the tired caricatures in the main cast by the panoply of recurring characters, concepts, places, media outlets, history etc. 

it's suffered a similar fate (albeit nowhere near as bad) to modern simpsons in that respect... the main family has been transformed into sub-macfarlane rubbish, and it's only the rest of springfield that raises even a faint vestige of a laugh from time to time.

Really?

It may not quite be at the peak it was in seasons 2-3, but I still laugh at it more than any other comedy on TV at the moment, and I include laughing at the main characters in that. Especially comparing it to something like Community, which I really do think has gone downhill.

I guess I also disagree with you on most things about TV! :D

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: March 20, 2013, 02:31:41 pm »
Really?

It may not quite be at the peak it was in seasons 2-3, but I still laugh at it more than any other comedy on TV at the moment, and I include laughing at the main characters in that. Especially comparing it to something like Community, which I really do think has gone downhill.

I guess I also disagree with you on most things about TV! :D

i should clarify, that statement referred to the simpsons (hence 'family'). p&r has suffered a similar phenomenon, but to nowhere near the same extent.  crucially, the main cast still has charm, even though they are not especially funny, and the secondary characters in pawnee are also far better.

what the shows have in common is that, for me, the town and the wider world get more laughs than the main focus.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: March 20, 2013, 04:44:49 pm »
People obviously didn't read my post properly.... It does seem though, having watched a few episodes (and I'm giving up on it, it's poor) that the Andy character is going to be relied on a lot. And no, a comedy doesn't have to have just one funny character to function well. Many of the best comedies intertwine the characters into funny situations through good writing and acting, rather than falling back on one character with predictable reactions drawn out to get a laugh. Seinfeld, Scrubs, Friends, South Park. Good comedies.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: March 20, 2013, 04:45:53 pm »
I've only seen the episodes on BBC 4 but it's already better than all the Friends episodes put together.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: March 20, 2013, 05:32:10 pm »
People obviously didn't read my post properly.... It does seem though, having watched a few episodes (and I'm giving up on it, it's poor) that the Andy character is going to be relied on a lot. And no, a comedy doesn't have to have just one funny character to function well. Many of the best comedies intertwine the characters into funny situations through good writing and acting, rather than falling back on one character with predictable reactions drawn out to get a laugh. Seinfeld, Scrubs, Friends, South Park. Good comedies.

When you say a few episodes... how many?

Have you watched any of season 2 on?

Also, it seems you may not have read the posts in response to you properly. I'm telling you, there's far, far more than one funny character on the show.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:38:02 pm by Camarero25 »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: March 20, 2013, 07:51:23 pm »
When you say a few episodes... how many?

Have you watched any of season 2 on?

Also, it seems you may not have read the posts in response to you properly. I'm telling you, there's far, far more than one funny character on the show.
I've stopped watching after four episodes. It's done nothing for me, and hasn't shown enough to suggest it's about to get any better. I've not watched any of season 2, but I'm not going to. I just don't find it funny, unfortunately.

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: March 20, 2013, 08:15:30 pm »
I've stopped watching after four episodes. It's done nothing for me, and hasn't shown enough to suggest it's about to get any better. I've not watched any of season 2, but I'm not going to. I just don't find it funny, unfortunately.

Well then you haven't really watched it.

I don't really like season 1 myself, but from season 2 onwards it's one of my favourite comedies ever. The general consensus is that after season 1 the show changes and improves drastically.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: March 20, 2013, 08:35:49 pm »
Can't believe anyone believes this rides on the shoulders of one funny character. It's all about the writing on this show. @KenTremendous has done a remarkable job of mixing the best parts of shows like The Simpsons, The Office, and 30 Rock. Unlike 30 Rock or Arrested Development, though, where they just hit you over the head with comedy (brilliantly so), #ParksandRec is developed while exhibiting usually un-sitcom traits like character growth and heart. IMO, it's the best sitcom on TV right now and it's not particularly close.

Besides, any entity that creates Jean-Ralphio Saperstein and Perderick Hapley is worth your time...all of it.

There you have it, where it is the thing Leslie Knope just said about this situation.

Justice For The 96

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: March 20, 2013, 10:09:22 pm »

Fair enough. I didn't like Season 1 either. It was a poor man's Office. Had no inclination to watch Season 2, but heard the improved reviews and gave it a shot (show was probably at the start of season 3 at this point) and now it's one of my favourite comedies ever.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: March 21, 2013, 05:45:10 am »

what is weird is that you choose andy as the one funny character, when he's probably the least funny character in the whole cast in the first series.  of course, the first series is a tiny six-episode run, so it necessarily concentrates on a handful of characters, but leslie, mark, ron and tom are all funnier than andy even in the first series.

oh well, each to their own.

Besides, any entity that creates Jean-Ralphio Saperstein and Perderick Hapley is worth your time...all of it.

that statement is a statement with which i agree with that statement entirely, although the latest episode emphasises the show's current laziness...

Spoiler
much-loved, consistently amusing but utterly one-note minor character runs the risk of getting overexposed?  just take the exact same character and make it a woman!  embarrassing.  it's the closest the show has come to leaping over any form of giant fish.

it reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUXjoInekU4
[close]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:53:30 am by sideshowme »

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: April 12, 2013, 03:06:39 pm »
Thought last week's episode with Ben's return to his hometown was weak, but this week was a brilliant return to form. Ron Swanson eating a banana? Comedy gold.

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #273 on: April 12, 2013, 11:50:28 pm »

:D
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: April 13, 2013, 03:27:08 am »
Thought last week's episode with Ben's return to his hometown was weak, but this week was a brilliant return to form. Ron Swanson eating a banana? Comedy gold.

Classic Pawnee. Great episode. Loved the Ben/Tom/Andy storyline as well.

Also:
Spoiler
"Do you have any history of mental illness in your family?"
"I have an uncle who does yoga."
[close]
Justice For The 96

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #275 on: April 13, 2013, 10:32:05 am »

Also:
Spoiler
"Do you have any history of mental illness in your family?"
"I have an uncle who does yoga."
[close]

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Brilliant episode all around and Ron at the end with the banana was just epic.

Huge plus that Rafi was in it and he didn't fail to deliver again (like he has been doing for some time in The League)

Spoiler
Rafi: "To that end, here is a check for $25,000 for your charity."

Ben: " This check is made out to ' Go fuck yourself '."

Rafi: " In your face! Dennis Feinstein helps no man! Get the hell out of my office!
[close]

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: April 15, 2013, 03:39:31 am »
Forget the golfer, this is still my favourite Adam Scott:

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: April 15, 2013, 04:33:25 am »
really enjoyed that. a nice back to basics episode. the impact of a relatively new writer, i guess.

Spoiler
the work whistle :lmao

also: "can i hire an intern?  can i hire a mexican elf?  can i buy a child bride?  then how is this even a promotion?"
[close]

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: April 15, 2013, 10:57:16 pm »
Forget the golfer, this is still my favourite Adam Scott:

Personally, I prefer...

But to each his own.
Justice For The 96

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: April 18, 2013, 03:35:03 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qOsKISBkIlQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qOsKISBkIlQ</a>