Author Topic: Parks And Recreation - NBC Comedy by American Office creators  (Read 65924 times)

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Parks And Recreation - NBC Comedy by American Office creators
« Reply #640 on: January 10, 2023, 02:26:28 pm »
Just started it, 3 episodes in. Is it one of those where it doesn't really kick into gear until halfway though series 2?

Pretty much, yes.

I think the first series hadn't really worked out quite what they were doing with the characters.

2nd season is much better and as the first season is only 6 episodes you're already halfway there!

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #641 on: January 10, 2023, 02:31:36 pm »
The issue with the first seasons (which is quite short from memory) is that they make Leslie a figure of derision. Once they pivot and make her this incredible source of optimism and hope - someone the rest of the main characters respect massively, even if she drives them nuts - it changes the dynamic of the show completely.

It's been a long time since I watched, but there is a point in Season 2 when it just clicks and then becomes so, so good. It really hits its groove when Adam Scott and Rob Lowe join the show, but it's very good before then too.

I actually think it's still pretty strong towards the end of the run, but like most sitcoms there's just a point where it's diminishing returns and the time comes to end it.

Also has an insane amount of depth in terms of supporting characters. Saw it compared once to a live-action Simpsons in that regard and I get the comparison... so many funny minor recurring characters who round out Pawnee.

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #642 on: June 9, 2023, 08:01:58 pm »
Been re-watching it again along with listening to the Parks and Recollection podcast with Rob Lowe and Alan Yang (one of the writers of the show).

On season 3 and i really think its one of the strongest comedy seasons of all time. 16 episode's and it's incredibly difficult to pinpoint a weak one amongst it.

Its an amazing show once you get past the first season.

They talk about it in the podcast and Yang admits they really didn't nail the tone of the show until partway through season 2.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: June 11, 2023, 11:54:49 am »

They talk about it in the podcast and Yang admits they really didn't nail the tone of the show until partway through season 2.

Yep. When it pivots from Leslie being someone everyone rolls their eyes at to someone who is admired and whose enthusiasm is infectious, the whole thing changes. She was too much like Michael Scott at the start.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #644 on: June 13, 2023, 02:18:13 pm »
Never seen season one, is it even worth watching? Re-watched the entire show twice over but always started on season two.
:D

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: June 13, 2023, 05:51:12 pm »
Never seen season one, is it even worth watching? Re-watched the entire show twice over but always started on season two.

Definitely not. I would would even consider telling someone new to just skip season 1.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: June 13, 2023, 09:02:04 pm »
I think it's worth watching. It's six episodes, not much of a commitment.