Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2804711 times)

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #50360 on: December 18, 2018, 05:17:43 pm »
If you have a look on the sky sports twitter I think there's a thing with bucky brooks talking about scouting because he used to do it.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #50361 on: December 18, 2018, 09:41:14 pm »
With the first pick in the 2019 NFL draft, the San Francisco 49ers select Nick Bosa, defensive end, Ohio State.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #50362 on: December 19, 2018, 01:04:05 pm »
Christ, Cowboys are stinking up this game!🙁
unable to get in the endzone has been the story of the season, the defence can't keep them in every game. Done much better than I expected given the lack of offensive production
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #50363 on: December 19, 2018, 01:05:58 pm »
With the first pick in the 2019 NFL draft, the San Francisco 49ers select Nick Bosa, defensive end, Ohio State.
they keep winning games like they did on Sunday and they won't get the first pick
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #50364 on: December 19, 2018, 04:01:32 pm »

Not sure they'll have 1st pick now.

Whilst I don't see the 49ers beating either the Bears or Rams in the next 2 weeks it's hard to see the Raiders, Arizona and potentially the Jets all picking up a win each in the next 2 weeks.

If I had to guess I think the 49ers will end up with the 3rd or 4th pick in the 2019 draft. I'm not sure they'll get Nick Bosa at that position so they may want to shop their high draft pick to a QB needy team and pick up some capital later in the 1st round.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #50365 on: December 19, 2018, 04:05:03 pm »
fanbases, on the other hand, are continually calling for the tanking, some as early as week 8 (the niners were last year and this year for instance)

It's the parallel situation of when some fans get all excited about new signings in January or the summer transfer window.

It's like new players, either through a Draft or by signing them, becomes more important than actually winning games.

I was made up when the 49ers beat the Seahawks this weekend.  Even though I know the draft position will probably take a hit. I know there are other 9ers fans pissed off because the No.1 pick is now unlikely.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50366 on: December 19, 2018, 04:12:27 pm »
It's the parallel situation of when some fans get all excited about new signings in January or the summer transfer window.

It's like new players, either through a Draft or by signing them, becomes more important than actually winning games.

I was made up when the 49ers beat the Seahawks this weekend.  Even though I know the draft position will probably take a hit. I know there are other 9ers fans pissed off because the No.1 pick is now unlikely.

Problem is that with the salary cap, the draft is the quickest way to get better by ostensibly adding a 10 year talent on either side of the ball. Winning an extra game here or there in the NFL and moving your draft down spot into the 5-10 range makes the pick more of a crapshoot (ok ok all draft picks are crapshoots - as are free agent signings). The number 1 (or 2) pick can also help wheel and deal to trade down and get multiple picks - often in round 1 etc.

Other than pride, there are a lot of reasons in favor of tanking.

The shitass Redskins will most likely miss the playoffs and finish between 7-9 and 9-7. The 49ers will also miss the playoffs. The 49ers are more likely to get an impact player in the draft than the Redskins who will probably pick around 18?

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #50367 on: December 19, 2018, 04:15:34 pm »
Monday night will be the last ever Raiders game in Oakland, although the stadium in Vegas won't be ready until 2020, Raiders will play elsewhere next year, seems like the antitrust lawsuit by the local Council against the Raiders and, individually, all 31 other teams in the NFL, is the final straw.
#Sausages

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #50368 on: December 19, 2018, 04:22:07 pm »
Has that been confirmed now?

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #50369 on: December 19, 2018, 04:32:22 pm »
Has that been confirmed now?

Actually, i don't think it's been confirmed yet, but it's looking increasingly likely the Raiders will play elsewhere next season, the lawsuit by the Council looks like it's the final straw, & i think the Raiders agreement to play at the Colosseum runs out at the end of this year.
#Sausages

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #50370 on: December 19, 2018, 05:03:19 pm »
Actually, i don't think it's been confirmed yet, but it's looking increasingly likely the Raiders will play elsewhere next season, the lawsuit by the Council looks like it's the final straw, & i think the Raiders agreement to play at the Colosseum runs out at the end of this year.

Seems to be case that they said we're out but left it quite open. Went there last year, absolute dump but some craic pre-match and stadium while crumbling was pretty cool and atmosphere great. Was the 4x game winning time expired TNF game vs KC!
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50371 on: December 19, 2018, 05:17:36 pm »
I'm not sure they'll get Nick Bosa at that position so they may want to shop their high draft pick to a QB needy team and pick up some capital later in the 1st round.

Sorry mate but i don't quite understand.

What do you mean by capital later in the 1st round?

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50372 on: December 19, 2018, 05:49:57 pm »
Sorry mate but i don't quite understand.

What do you mean by capital later in the 1st round?

More picks
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50373 on: December 19, 2018, 05:52:20 pm »
More picks

But say they swapped their high pick with.. say The Skins.

Wouldn't the 49ers just get a later pick.  Whats in it for SF?

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50374 on: December 19, 2018, 06:20:45 pm »
But say they swapped their high pick with.. say The Skins.

Wouldn't the 49ers just get a later pick.  Whats in it for SF?

The team trading down would get more than just that worse 1st round pick, depending on how high their pick was they might get a 2nd round pick or more likely the 1st round pick from the following round.

Behind the scenes the team use charts where draft picks are assigned a particular value and will take those into account when making a trade, although obviously they will have some room to maneuver and will be guessing to a certain extent when it comes to draft picks for subsequent years.

Here's the sort of chart of values they use:

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 06:23:59 pm by Skeeve »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50375 on: December 19, 2018, 07:20:32 pm »
The team trading down would get more than just that worse 1st round pick, depending on how high their pick was they might get a 2nd round pick or more likely the 1st round pick from the following round.

Behind the scenes the team use charts where draft picks are assigned a particular value and will take those into account when making a trade, although obviously they will have some room to maneuver and will be guessing to a certain extent when it comes to draft picks for subsequent years.

Here's the sort of chart of values they use:

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Cheers for this.

Using a totally hypothetical situation and the chart on the link.

Lets say in the 2019 draft, SF have 3rd pick (2200 points) in the first round. They Trade picks with the the Skins who have 12th pick (1200 points).  This enables Washington to get a much better QB than the backup dross they have.

Washington effectively owe SF 1000 points. 

Will the Skins then give a couple of their future picks to the 49ers?

I know this is at pure basic level but its interesting.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #50376 on: December 19, 2018, 07:46:19 pm »
^ they'd give them the 12th pick plus probably another later round pick, or picks. Or a player. There's a lot of negotiations.

For a real world example, here's what happened in this year's draft.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23324716/2018-nfl-draft-trade-tracker-every-move-all-32-teams
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 07:48:19 pm by voodoo ray »

Offline Mr F

• uckwit
  • Kopite
« Reply #50377 on: December 19, 2018, 07:52:34 pm »
I’m assuming John Gruden really wants Kaep to win his collusion case. Nathan ‘The GOAT’ Peterman though?!
Chardee MacDennis: The Game of Games

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #50378 on: December 19, 2018, 07:58:13 pm »
I’m assuming John Gruden really wants Kaep to win his collusion case. Nathan ‘The GOAT’ Peterman though?!

He's been signed to the practice squad because mccarron's mrs has had a baby.

Watching it evolve over twitter has been pretty amusing though.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #50379 on: December 19, 2018, 08:00:21 pm »
To link a couple of things together, the Peterman signing and the draft, this is why a lot of draft picks are just chucking shit at a wall and seeing what sticks.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden, an ESPN analyst at the time, glowed about Peterman before the 2017 draft, declaring the Pitt product "the draft's most pro-ready QB" in a year that included Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson and Mitchell Trubisky.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50380 on: December 19, 2018, 08:47:50 pm »
To link a couple of things together, the Peterman signing and the draft, this is why a lot of draft picks are just chucking shit at a wall and seeing what sticks.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden, an ESPN analyst at the time, glowed about Peterman before the 2017 draft, declaring the Pitt product "the draft's most pro-ready QB" in a year that included Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson and Mitchell Trubisky.
the man is on $10m a year

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #50381 on: December 19, 2018, 09:07:57 pm »
everyone's made shit draft predictions regardless of how much money they've been on.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #50382 on: December 19, 2018, 10:23:40 pm »
So the panthers have decided to bench Cam for the rest of the season, you know now that there isn’t a hope of play offs.

Well done panthers.

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #50383 on: December 20, 2018, 09:17:00 am »
So the panthers have decided to bench Cam for the rest of the season, you know now that there isn’t a hope of play offs.

Well done panthers.

To be fair, I watched the highlights of the Saints game and he looked absolutely fucked. Could tell straight away his shoulder isn't right, every throw looked like a struggle, even some of those checkdowns to McCaffery were massively underthrown.

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50384 on: December 20, 2018, 09:18:46 am »
everyone's made shit draft predictions regardless of how much money they've been on.

A shit draft prediction is one thing, but signing the guy now after what we've seen from him in the NFL is a different thing entirely.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #50385 on: December 20, 2018, 09:35:00 am »
A shit draft prediction is one thing, but signing the guy now after what we've seen from him in the NFL is a different thing entirely.

He's on the practice squad. It'll probably give the raiders defense confidence going up against him at least!

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #50386 on: December 20, 2018, 10:32:49 am »
they keep winning games like they did on Sunday and they won't get the first pick
Yes but the first pick will be Nick Bosa, defensive end, Ohio State.

No franchise quarterbacks in this years draft in my opinion.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50387 on: December 20, 2018, 11:14:46 am »
No franchise quarterbacks in this years draft in my opinion.

Do you lads reckon this years Heisman Trophy winner QB Kyler Murray will enter the 2019 draft?

Some interesting speculation at the moment as to whether he will or not?

Looks like a freak of sports nature this lad.  Selected in the 2018 MLB draft by the Oakland A's but there is still rumour that he could be in the NFL 2019 draft.

Was backup QB to Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma. Reading reports it definitely looks like his eventual future lies in Football rather than Baseball.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #50388 on: December 20, 2018, 11:37:02 am »
Kyler Murray will play baseball in the Major League Baseball - I think he has already confirmed this.

Quarterback’s to look out for include Justin Herbert (Oregon), Dwayne Haskins (Ohio State), Will Grier (West Virginia), and Drew Lock (Missouri).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:41:51 am by Trev20 »

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50389 on: December 20, 2018, 11:37:19 am »
Do you lads reckon this years Heisman Trophy winner QB Kyler Murray will enter the 2019 draft?

Some interesting speculation at the moment as to whether he will or not?

Looks like a freak of sports nature this lad.  Selected in the 2018 MLB draft by the Oakland A's but there is still rumour that he could be in the NFL 2019 draft.

Was backup QB to Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma. Reading reports it definitely looks like his eventual future lies in Football rather than Baseball.

He's 5 foot 9 and weighs about 195lbs I think. No way he makes it in the NFL.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #50390 on: December 20, 2018, 11:40:57 am »
If he's got any sense I reckon he should take the guaranteed contracts of baseball and not have to take hits from d-liners who want to crush him.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50391 on: December 20, 2018, 11:48:50 am »
LOL that answers that question then

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #50392 on: December 20, 2018, 01:04:16 pm »
To be fair, I watched the highlights of the Saints game and he looked absolutely fucked. Could tell straight away his shoulder isn't right, every throw looked like a struggle, even some of those checkdowns to McCaffery were massively underthrown.

Not saying he isn’t, but they should have replaced him 2 games ago when there was a chance of actually getting to the play offs. Benching him now does nothing for the team. Horse has already bolted scenario.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #50393 on: December 20, 2018, 01:08:50 pm »
LOL that answers that question then

And they could all be very wrong.....

If he gets a first-round grade and the play of Mayfield (obviously Brees too) shows teams size isn't everything ( ;) ) then he would likely earn more money and quicker as a QB unless he's basically a Hall of Fame baseball player as it takes wayyyyyy longer to get $$$ in baseball.

Not as cut-and-dry as originally thought, despite his Agent saying he will stay with MLB...wonder why his non-NFL approved Agent would want him to do that.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50394 on: December 20, 2018, 01:27:36 pm »
And they could all be very wrong.....

If he gets a first-round grade and the play of Mayfield (obviously Brees too) shows teams size isn't everything ( ;) ) then he would likely earn more money and quicker as a QB unless he's basically a Hall of Fame baseball player as it takes wayyyyyy longer to get $$$ in baseball.

Not as cut-and-dry as originally thought, despite his Agent saying he will stay with MLB...wonder why his non-NFL approved Agent would want him to do that.

Yep, its all abut opinions mate.

To be honest Bryan I've read a few reports from NFL journo's who say he could definitely make it in the NFL despite being shorter than most. AT 5'10", only 1 inch shorter than Russell Wilson.

Football seems to be his calling and his Oakland A's contract can be shredded quite easily.  But who knows

Really good article here that looks at his attributes and both sides of the MLB/NFL coin.

https://247sports.com/Article/Kyler-Murray-NFL-prospect-could-be-top-QB-in-2019-Draft-124100663/

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #50395 on: December 20, 2018, 01:53:10 pm »
He’s a poor mans Lamar Jackson in any event.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #50396 on: December 20, 2018, 02:35:54 pm »
Josh Gordon is having some time away. However long that is.

Clearly one seriously mixed up bloke. I hope he manages to get himself sorted out. 

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50397 on: December 20, 2018, 02:54:15 pm »
Josh Gordon is having some time away. However long that is.

Clearly one seriously mixed up bloke. I hope he manages to get himself sorted out.

Just came to post that. Good luck to him. I hope he sorts it out

NFL reports also that he faces a suspension for substance abuse
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 03:12:08 pm by deFacto »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50398 on: December 20, 2018, 03:09:00 pm »
IF I am the Pats, I'd trade for DeSean Jackson in the offseason and do everything it takes to sign L Bell

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #50399 on: December 20, 2018, 03:40:05 pm »
With the 32nd pick in the 2019 NFL draft, the six time Super Bowl winners the New England Patriots select, A.J Brown, wide receiver Mississippi.