Author Topic: Champions League, Europa League, Conference League SF 2nd leg 7th-9th May  (Read 17498 times)

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Annoying that every time we play Madrid in recent memory, we’ve made them look like the best club side ever.

Granted this is a different version of them, but we really should have beaten them at least once with that side we had.

Karius in goal, plus a workmanlike midfield (Milner, Hendo and Gini). Really we did remarkably well to reach the final.

The Paris debacle, when it did finally start we had so many chances. The midfield was goosed though. Should have been Hendo's last game for us as his closing down numbers had been on the decline. Fabinho and Thiago both barely fit. The midfield rebuild should have started straight after that but it was completely neglected. It was a massive oversight. The next two exits were pretty terrible in losing comprehensively at home 5-2 to Madrid and 3-0 to Atalanta.

Realistically it was just the Paris game where we should have won.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
So, we're all supporting Dortmund in the final?

Oh yeah. For all the good it'll do

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan

Yep.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
Karius in goal, plus a workmanlike midfield (Milner, Hendo and Gini). Really we did remarkably well to reach the final.

The Paris debacle, when it did finally start we had so many chances. The midfield was goosed though. Should have been Hendo's last game for us as his closing down numbers had been on the decline. Fabinho and Thiago both barely fit. The midfield rebuild should have started straight after that but it was completely neglected. It was a massive oversight. The next two exits were pretty terrible in losing comprehensively at home 5-2 to Madrid and 3-0 to Atalanta.

Are you capable of making a single post that doesn't include the subtext "I want new owners"?  ;D

Real Madrid have some kind of hoodoo on this competition. Even ignoring the first 5, or whatever it is that shouldn't actually count, they've won so many without even being that good. Anyway, let's go Dortmund. For the good of football.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
Really fucking hate Madrid btw

Something about the club make my flesh crawl.
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Unreal goalscorer but it's another one to the lengthy collection of Kane's big games where he has completely failed to show. I can't think of a single thing he's ever done when the chips are fully down, for any side in any tournament. There's the penalty in the Euros semi final but he almost ballsed that up too. He's got to be the worst big game player there ever was.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
Dortmund can do it. Real aren't incredibly good. It won't be like the mismatch last season where City were clearly a much, much better side than Inter. And even then Inter shouldn't have lost and probably should have taken it to extra time.

If they can defend well like they did against PSG, they can nick one off a set piece or a penalty or something.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Dortmund can do it. Real aren't incredibly good. It won't be like the mismatch last season where City were clearly a much, much better side than Inter. And even then Inter shouldn't have lost and probably should have taken it to extra time.

If they can defend well like they did against PSG, they can nick one off a set piece or a penalty or something.

I think given Madrid's obvious record in the competition and genuinely top side all jokes aside it does feel like the most mismatched final for a good number of years. You could point to us being similarly inexperienced in comparison in 2018 but we were a genuine force in attack. It's obviously some achievement from Dortmund to go this far but there's no area of the pitch where I think they have a player who's among the elite few in their respective positions. They'll need to ride their luck similar to how they did against PSG but they're playing the kings of riding their luck in the tournament.

Madrid, honestly, they'll probably bring Satan himself of the bench in the final if needed.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
Unreal goalscorer but it's another one to the lengthy collection of Kane's big games where he has completely failed to show. I can't think of a single thing he's ever done when the chips are fully down, for any side in any tournament. There's the penalty in the Euros semi final but he almost ballsed that up too. He's got to be the worst big game player there ever was.

to be honest I think his ankle issues mean that by the time he gets to the business end of the domestic season/international summer tournaments he is always half fit.

I think a similar thing happened to Rooney's career after that Bayern tie when he was rushed back.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2024, 11:46:30 pm by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
Insert Mbappe into that madrid team… they are not fucking off in the forseeable.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡

We had them rattled and should've won the Kyiv one .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy

I remember prime Ageless Milner springing a beautiful trap on Messi and smashing him HARD. the unsmashable Messi. Smashed. Milner Hendo and Gini were all artists in their own way and they all had great engines also and near absolute total veteran understanding of wtf is going on right now, what's my best move. I dont hold the lack of pirlo comparisons against them.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan

He assisted the goal didn't he?  Not saying he played brilliantly but it was a good ball to Davies to set him on his way. Scored a good pen in the first game too.

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan

Not a chance imo. Madrid just don't lose CL finals, as we know very well.

Bayern - Dortmund would have been the more interesting game imo as Dortmund could have beat them. Doubt we see a very even game now to be honest.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"

Definitely.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Real just never give up. They wanted it more and as usual they got there in the end. Fairplay to Ancelotti for sticking to his formation and ideas, it paid off again. Tuchel being smart didn't obviously.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
'I feel so sorry for him' - No Kane, no gain for Bayern

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/czvj5nddyj0o

Hate Real Madrid, but based on the pathetic piece above, kind of happy it won't be all about Kane in the final (thought it will be all about Bellingham).
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
He’s only 20! Cut him some slack!

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
I don't know who I hate more out of Real and City. Real funded by the city and City funded by the Saudis.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
Are you capable of making a single post that doesn't include the subtext "I want new owners"?  ;D

Real Madrid have some kind of hoodoo on this competition. Even ignoring the first 5, or whatever it is that shouldn't actually count, they've won so many without even being that good. Anyway, let's go Dortmund. For the good of football.

Does he? He might just want the owners to more consistently do what made us brilliant in the first place -ie bringing people (players and staff) into the club, recruiting absolutely brilliantly. Now that Klopp is going and it turns out we’ve wasted the last opportunity for 2 more seasons of top end success (top end because obviously we have won something in the last 2 years) with him by failing to buy any CMs and then forcing an entirely self inflicted midfield rebuild and transition year as a result it seems fair enough to lament some of that.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2024, 07:23:03 am by Knight »

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
Does he? He might just want the owners to more consistently do what made us brilliant in the first place -ie bringing people (players and staff) into the club, recruiting absolutely brilliantly. Now that Klopp is going and it turns out we’ve wasted the last opportunity for 2 more seasons of top end success (top end because obviously we have won something in the last 2 years) with him by failing to buy any CMs and then forcing an entirely self inflicted midfield rebuild and transition year as a result it seems fair enough to lament some of that.

It's so fucking easy to say in hindsight that we should have replaced the midfield after 21/22, but no one was calling for a mass overhaul at the time. And I'm sure that very much includes Klopp himself given that he went out of his way to get Henderson a new contract.

In an ideal world, Klopp would have signed Tchouameni that summer and that would have been that. Do you think that alone would have won us anything more than we have over the last two seasons? The answer is no.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
There's something odd going on with Madrid and this tournament

Some of their wins they weren't even 4th best team in the comp

This would be their 6th win in 10 years. I can barely remember them even playing well in that time, let alone being the best team. I'd say the year they beat Juve in the final was probably the one time they were the best team in it, but that was when the PL teams were in a rut (Leicester reigning champions) and Barca were starting to slide.

Mad how clustered their European Cup wins are. 6 out the first 10, 3 in 6 years around the turn of the century and 5 or 6 in the last 10 years.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2024, 08:34:05 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Didn’t want Madrid to win, but it’s kinda funny how Harry Kane moved to Bayern for trophies and they totally spursed it.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan

A fair point to debate in the appropriate locations, (I don't fully agree with it) I just don't see why KC7 needs to make the point in every single thread they visit.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to

We always got Madrid at the worst time. Last season we were shite and had no midfield - hardly a wonder they were able to dominate and we blew ourselves out after 20 minutes (where we were all over them and went 2-0 up). 20/21 we faced them with Kabak and Phillips at centre back and the midfield a mess as Fabinho and Henderson were both injured. Kiev final was a year too early as well. Inadequate goalkeeper and a midfield that was no match for Casemiro/Kroos/Modric at their peak which was a good blend of a midfield. We were great going forward at the time though but they crocked Salah early which stymied us further.

« Last Edit: May 9, 2024, 08:42:02 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline TheFinalBoss

• Main Stander
Lol, Madrid are the ultimate villain never get there comeuppance, Mbappe with the likes of Rodrygo and Vinicius next season will be disgusting.

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
Absolutely.  :thumbup
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan

Yep

Online Bennett

• Legacy Fan
History will say 6 finals in 11 years. Likely 6 wins. But anyone who has watched it unfold is wondering what the fuck is going on? Honestly some hoodoo magic going down. That offside call is absolutely mental as well.

Online Bennett

• Legacy Fan
In the final, if Dortmund can stop Vinicius they stand a good chance. They did a good job of nullifying Mbappe so who knows. I would say Vinicius is another level to Mbappe to be honest though. That run and stop he forced from Neuer was elite level stuff. He has a multiple Balon D'Or career ahead of him.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Didn’t want Madrid to win, but it’s kinda funny how Harry Kane moved to Bayern for trophies and they totally spursed it.

Moved to Germany for an easy trophy and now a German side in the Champs League final and a German side in the hunt for an invincible treble.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
In the final, if Dortmund can stop Vinicius they stand a good chance. They did a good job of nullifying Mbappe so who knows. I would say Vinicius is another level to Mbappe to be honest though. That run and stop he forced from Neuer was elite level stuff. He has a multiple Balon D'Or career ahead of him.

Real know exactly when to give Vinicius the ball, PSG midfield failed miserably in picking out Mbappe. Real will win the final comfortably.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
It's so fucking easy to say in hindsight that we should have replaced the midfield after 21/22, but no one was calling for a mass overhaul at the time. And I'm sure that very much includes Klopp himself given that he went out of his way to get Henderson a new contract.

In an ideal world, Klopp would have signed Tchouameni that summer and that would have been that. Do you think that alone would have won us anything more than we have over the last two seasons? The answer is no.

Tchouameni in this Liverpool team, would work wonders, there is no telling how many more trophies we would have with a world class DM.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2024, 10:38:32 am by markmywords »

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
That offside decision by the linesman/referee looks worse and worse every time you look at it. A truly shocking piece of refereeing. I'd be absolutely livid if it happened to us.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
says Andy, on a football forum  ;D

Well I'm still arsed about Liverpool FC - which I don't count as football as it's my club..
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
Lol, Madrid are the ultimate villain never get there comeuppance, Mbappe with the likes of Rodrygo and Vinicius next season will be disgusting.

Indeed.

They've walked La Liga this season too.

My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan

No one is claiming we should have replaced the midfield after 21/22, the original post said the midfield rebuild should have started after 21/22. And yes, there were loads of people saying that. And yes, genuinely, Tchouameni at 6 in 22/23 would have made a colossal difference. We'd still have had Henderson in the team too often but it would have been night and day to have athleticism in the team at 6 that season. Remember, we've not actually changed the forward line or the defence this season and yet, for large portions of it, looked like a totally different team thanks to some extra midfielders, which shows the impact that a signing can have. Give us the elite athleticism and ball playing of a Tchouaemeni in 21/22 and who knows what would have happened. And of course this season put Tchouameni in this team alongside Mac and Szoboslai/Jones/Elliot/Grav and yes, we may well win the league.

For whatever reason there was an obsession, on here as much as with the club, with 'the right player'. It was the narrative in 20/21 with CBs and again in 21/22 with CMs. It ended up burning us badly with Bellingham last summer. For whatever reason we became so focussed on that that we left Klopp without the tools he needed on at least two occasions. The second time we were a genuinely mid table team in terms of results and performances for a significant part of the season until we pulled ourselves together for the last couple of months. How could a mid 80s team this season have been so bad last season? Because we fell asleep on the job and neglected the engine room for years.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2024, 11:03:13 am by Knight »

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
History will say 6 finals in 11 years. Likely 6 wins. But anyone who has watched it unfold is wondering what the fuck is going on? Honestly some hoodoo magic going down. That offside call is absolutely mental as well.

Absolutely reeks that call. The linesman completely ignores the proper procedure.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
That offside decision by the linesman/referee looks worse and worse every time you look at it. A truly shocking piece of refereeing. I'd be absolutely livid if it happened to us.

If it happened to us people would be screaming corruption, and you couldn't really blame them for it.

Problem with shit decisions and corruption is they are impossible to tell apart, this is why so much of it has happened in the game. Except for in England of course, those type of things don't go on here.

Offline Buster Gonad

• Kopite
'I feel so sorry for him' - No Kane, no gain for Bayern

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/czvj5nddyj0o

Hate Real Madrid, but based on the pathetic piece above, kind of happy it won't be all about Kane in the final (thought it will be all about Bellingham).

Yea read that earlier and nearly spewed.  Taking off an injured striker caused Neuer to spill the ball and a lino to make a bad call. The absence of any logic is mental.