Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé  (Read 3198040 times)

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé
« Reply #78280 on: April 13, 2024, 09:09:13 pm »
The point isn't about the play-style. I can probably safely say without looking we have created a lot more clear cut chances than Newcastle. The issue is finishing.

There isn’t an issue.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #78281 on: April 13, 2024, 09:29:27 pm »
Bring in forwards with less "chaos" and more IQ. I'd rather less opportunities created from pace and power and more actual returns on chances.

The 'IQ' three is probably Jota-Gakpo-Salah and when that's (rarely) played we've looked about as threatening as a feather duster.

You can't really have one or the other, you need both to compete. What has let us down (in all three of our bad results  ;D) of late is Nunez going off the boil (after arguably being our best forward in Salah's absence) and Salah being well off his best, while at the same time only having a misfiring Gakpo to bring on due to Jota's injury.

Absolutely no one was complaining about our forwards when we hammered Newcastle and Chelsea for example.  Actually, yes they were, Diaz was shit according to some on here then.  now he's our best of the 3 currently.

That sounds a hell of a lot like variance.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 09:31:55 pm by JP! »
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #78282 on: April 13, 2024, 09:35:13 pm »
This really is madness. Núñez is creating and scoring at an elite rate and people want to replace him?

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #78283 on: April 13, 2024, 09:42:09 pm »
Chris Wood was 0 goals from 0 shots today, so 100% I believe. That’s what we should be aiming for.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78284 on: April 13, 2024, 10:11:32 pm »

Nunez with better financing could be the most dangerous player in europe, he creates so many chances, so the prize is for him to realise his potential not make excuses for his underperformance

He’s make huge steps this season and he’s still got plenty of scope to get better 

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78285 on: April 13, 2024, 10:17:36 pm »

Nunez with better financing could be the most dangerous player in europe, he creates so many chances, so the prize is for him to realise his potential not make excuses for his underperformance

He’s make huge steps this season and he’s still got plenty of scope to get better
He can be a good supporting player with his pace and his physicality but we need someone more clinical as our spearhead IMO.

He can do a job on the wing but our spearhead has to be someone with a better conversion rate.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 10:20:39 pm by MonsLibpool »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #78286 on: April 13, 2024, 10:20:50 pm »
Has anyone watched much of Archie Gray with Leeds?
Never seen him play, so forgive me..

But he’s no goals and two assists and these stats

https://fbref.com/en/players/f58515f5/Archie-Gray

It’s not jumping off the page for me to be honest.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78287 on: April 13, 2024, 10:21:16 pm »
Nunez with better financing
ISA what you've done there.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78288 on: April 13, 2024, 10:22:35 pm »
Never seen him play, so forgive me..

But he’s no goals and two assists and these stats

https://fbref.com/en/players/f58515f5/Archie-Gray

It’s not jumping off the page for me to be honest.

But he’s 18.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78289 on: April 13, 2024, 10:24:52 pm »
Has anyone watched much of Archie Gray with Leeds?
Saw reports he plays at Right back or midfield? Not sure we'd need him for either position.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78290 on: April 13, 2024, 10:27:53 pm »
He can be a good supporting player with his pace and his physicality but we need someone more clinical as our spearhead IMO.

He can do a job on the wing but our spearhead has to be someone with a better conversion rate.

You’ll be calling him the best 9 in the world and the future of the team in 5 minutes so there’s not much point paying attention to what you say about him to be honest.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78291 on: April 13, 2024, 10:31:05 pm »
You’ll be calling him the best 9 in the world and the future of the team in 5 minutes so there’s not much point paying attention to what you say about him to be honest.
No one understands football like you :D

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78292 on: April 13, 2024, 11:36:57 pm »

Jota is more clinical and can play the 9 role, I don’t think we’re getting enough threat from Salah, so whilst I appreciate it’s controversial, he would be the one I would move on, if we had someone with genuine pace down that flank it would create more space for Jota and Nunez, Salah is still a fantastic player but the drop in pace means that he’s not got the ability to run in behind which was one of our biggest weapons

I do think Nunez will improve his conversion rate with more coaching, the other parts to his game have come on leaps and bounds so no reason to think it won’t happen

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78293 on: April 13, 2024, 11:40:15 pm »
Jota is more clinical and can play the 9 role, I don’t think we’re getting enough threat from Salah, so whilst I appreciate it’s controversial, he would be the one I would move on, if we had someone with genuine pace down that flank it would create more space for Jota and Nunez, Salah is still a fantastic player but the drop in pace means that he’s not got the ability to run in behind which was one of our biggest weapons

I do think Nunez will improve his conversion rate with more coaching, the other parts to his game have come on leaps and bounds so no reason to think it won’t happen

Bonkers and almost delusional, then again a sizeable portion of this forum were saying we should replace Salah last summer also…

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78294 on: April 13, 2024, 11:47:06 pm »
Bonkers and almost delusional, then again a sizeable portion of this forum were saying we should replace Salah last summer also…

Torres   > Suarez
Keegan > Dalglish

But yeah, Bonkers

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78295 on: April 13, 2024, 11:53:05 pm »
The economics of the extension don’t make sense unless we get him to sign a one year on a lower contract which I think is unlikely

There are plenty of options on who we sign, for the kind of money we wil get for him we could bring in 2 players of top quality and I won’t be on the transfer committee :-)

Some of the "top" quality players you listed will cost as much as we get for Salah and there's no way we get two like Musiala n Bowen for less than 200m plus.

In terms of economics how much do we get from shirt sales with Mo's name on it? Probably offsets quite a chunk of his wages. As I said he will score 30 goals / 15 assists between now n end of next season. Probably another 50 goals / 20 assists for the following two seasons. He's then 34 n still worth 30m plus if we sell to Saudi Arabia, that offsets a lot of his wages and no potential purchase will give us that output while still costing us 200k a week.

A couple of your transfer targets were so off base you wouldn't be on a fantasy football committee 😜
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78296 on: April 14, 2024, 12:46:01 am »
Some of the "top" quality players you listed will cost as much as we get for Salah and there's no way we get two like Musiala n Bowen for less than 200m plus.

In terms of economics how much do we get from shirt sales with Mo's name on it? Probably offsets quite a chunk of his wages. As I said he will score 30 goals / 15 assists between now n end of next season. Probably another 50 goals / 20 assists for the following two seasons. He's then 34 n still worth 30m plus if we sell to Saudi Arabia, that offsets a lot of his wages and no potential purchase will give us that output while still costing us 200k a week.

A couple of your transfer targets were so off base you wouldn't be on a fantasy football committee 😜

if we don’t sell he leaves for nothing next summer, you do realise how damaging that will be considering the fee we could get for him now? has the even registered with you because you don’t seem
to be responding to that as a possibility

New younger Players will cost more but will be on lower salaries and will be worth much more if they go on to prove themselves to be world class, they could help us to win trophies over the next 7-10 years, compared to a very short shelf-life with Salah where his impact will fall off a cliff even if he does stay for 3-4 more years, Thierry Henry was much easier to play against when he was 33 compared to his peak, Salah is still class but is definitely slowing down

I’m confident with the calibre of people we have in place to make us much better as a team, why repeat our mistakes in midfield by waiting for the wheels to fall off before we replace Salah? 

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78297 on: April 14, 2024, 01:06:09 am »
Torres   > Suarez
Keegan > Dalglish

But yeah, Bonkers

Suarez>Ballotelli/Lambert/Ings

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78298 on: April 14, 2024, 01:29:03 am »
Not getting enough threat from Salah.

Wow. I mean he is literally our most threatening player to the opposition.

Its ok Jota, who has a terrible injury record and Nunez, who half the fan base is totally unsure of, will replace him easily.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78299 on: April 14, 2024, 07:05:29 am »

Its ok Jota, who has a terrible injury record and Nunez, who half the fan base is totally unsure of, will replace him easily.

Yep prolem is Jota can't stay fit. If he could though the Diaz, Nunez, Jota forward line during AFCON/ Salah's hamstring injury was pretty tasty.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78300 on: April 14, 2024, 07:26:05 am »
if we don’t sell he leaves for nothing next summer, you do realise how damaging that will be considering the fee we could get for him now? has the even registered with you because you don’t seem
to be responding to that as a possibility

New younger Players will cost more but will be on lower salaries and will be worth much more if they go on to prove themselves to be world class, they could help us to win trophies over the next 7-10 years, compared to a very short shelf-life with Salah where his impact will fall off a cliff even if he does stay for 3-4 more years, Thierry Henry was much easier to play against when he was 33 compared to his peak, Salah is still class but is definitely slowing down

I’m confident with the calibre of people we have in place to make us much better as a team, why repeat our mistakes in midfield by waiting for the wheels to fall off before we replace Salah? 

Read my last couple of posts again as I acknowledged we sell now if he doesn't sign an extension. If he signs an extension then you claim he's going from a 30 goals a season player to 30 goals for the next three years player as he's about to fall off the cliff in terms of his threat. I'm willing to put a £100 on Mo will score 30 goals between now and May 2025 and another £100 that he will score at least 100 goals by the time he's 35. Are you up for a laugh to see who's right 😜
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #78301 on: April 14, 2024, 08:08:53 am »
But he’s 18.

What does he do well though? It’s a bit like the Seedorf regen at United, being ‘ok’ at 18 and playing regularly doesnt automatically mean you’re going to be brilliant.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #78302 on: April 14, 2024, 08:13:03 am »
What does he do well though? It’s a bit like the Seedorf regen at United, being ‘ok’ at 18 and playing regularly doesnt automatically mean you’re going to be brilliant.

Not really seen much of him. I liked the Wharton kid at Palace who we'll see today. Saw him quite a bit at Blackburn while watching Morton last season and he looked great. Don't know if Gray is similar.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #78303 on: April 14, 2024, 08:38:46 am »
Yankuba Minteh is putting up silly numbers at Feyenoord this season but is owned by Newcastle. Looks unbelievable.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78304 on: April 14, 2024, 08:41:22 am »
not many out there better than Nunez.
He is is still 2 years away from his prime. Just be patient until he gets 30+ a year.

Now the left wing is a different issue. Diaz i think has done well but not really progressed as we would have liked & only has 2 years left.
He isnt really worth a big new contract

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78305 on: April 14, 2024, 08:44:26 am »
Yankuba Minteh is putting up silly numbers at Feyenoord this season but is owned by Newcastle. Looks unbelievable.

Yep i saw him play in one game and he looks some player. Amazing dribbler and left footed as well. He would be right up there as a target if it were not for that fact that Newcastle own him.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78306 on: April 14, 2024, 09:51:59 am »
Read my last couple of posts again as I acknowledged we sell now if he doesn't sign an extension. If he signs an extension then you claim he's going from a 30 goals a season player to 30 goals for the next three years player as he's about to fall off the cliff in terms of his threat. I'm willing to put a £100 on Mo will score 30 goals between now and May 2025 and another £100 that he will score at least 100 goals by the time he's 35. Are you up for a laugh to see who's right 😜

Let’s see if he signs an extension, if he does then whilst i don’t gamble the loser can pay the money to a charity or something

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78307 on: April 14, 2024, 09:55:40 am »

By threat I mean he doesn’t have the frightening pace he had 4/5 seasons ago, teams aren’t afraid to push up against him, he’s adjusted his game so he’s more involved in the box than in build up play and he’s offers less as an out ball now, Nunez is the threat which creates space for others and yes if Jota, Nunez and a new forward are in place we won’t miss Salah

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78308 on: April 14, 2024, 10:08:13 am »
The rate at which Nunez racks up assists is absolutely insane, it's kind of mind boggling how he can be so calm and precise with his assists but then so much more erratic with his finishing, probably a mental thing. He also has bags of pace and a pretty good fitness record. Basically, he's the last forward I'd consider dropping right now as he has absolutely everything.

I think Diaz is slowly improving too after that knee injury really set him back. Ideally we'd have someone more prolific in his position but he's great at beating players and getting us up the field. He's become a lot more productive recently so hopefully that's a sign of him being past his injury rather than a purple patch, watching him play I'm inclined to think it is down to the injury.

Personally I think if we go for another forward it'll be with a view to replacing Salah. My worry is that for financial reasons we'll wait until Salah leaves on a free and then buy his replacement, rather than signing his replacement in the summer and giving him a season to bed in. It's what we did with midfield and it led to a season being thrown away, and I don't think we can really afford that if we're bringing a new manager in.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #78309 on: April 14, 2024, 12:18:12 pm »
Re the future of the attack.. wide forwards that get high shot volumes are basically rocking horse shit
They're mbappe and mo and a handful of others.. its really unusual we had 2 in our pomp

No idea what system we're buying for but it's going to be incredibly hard and we probably won't even try to replace Salah with Salah

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #78310 on: April 14, 2024, 12:23:55 pm »
I'm still hoping we do what it takes to keep Salah until he retires, or at least has a full season where his output drops massively and then you maybe move him on. I still imagine he has two or three good years left at this level and think we should be accommodating that.

Not heard much of Bakayoko's name in here recently as it was a while ago. He's starting to chip in with more goals as the season's gone on for PSV and was obviously talked about as a potential replacement. I still doubt he's ready to play for Liverpool week in and week out but he's definitely one to watch.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78311 on: April 14, 2024, 12:52:19 pm »
This forum is stuck in the era when we were competing with Dortmund. Let’s raise money and sell VVD and Salah so we can spend money on a bunch of young players we have to wait to blossom and write of the league for 4-5 years, sounds like a great strategy.

Online Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78312 on: April 14, 2024, 01:32:14 pm »
Re the future of the attack.. wide forwards that get high shot volumes are basically rocking horse shit
They're mbappe and mo and a handful of others.. its really unusual we had 2 in our pomp

No idea what system we're buying for but it's going to be incredibly hard and we probably won't even try to replace Salah with Salah

Talent pool across Europe at moment does seem to be in more central strikers and 10’s.

It’s why I think our squad fits a 4222 formation, with width from full backs. If it’s Amorim, from what I’ve read of his system he doesn’t particularly play with wide forwards anyway.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78313 on: April 14, 2024, 01:49:57 pm »
This forum is stuck in the era when we were competing with Dortmund. Let’s raise money and sell VVD and Salah so we can spend money on a bunch of young players we have to wait to blossom and write of the league for 4-5 years, sounds like a great strategy.

Last I checked nobody is suggesting we sell VVD but please correct me where I’m wrong

-Salah’s only got a year left on his deal and can walk away for nothing next year and we can sell him to Saudii for the kind of money we paid for Nunez, so is his contribution next year in terms of goals/assist to our squad worth £70M? because unless he signs a new deal you do realise he’s leaving for nothing next year, can we really afford that?

Like it or not we have a balance sheet and we sell players to raise funds, sometimes the player actively wants to go like Coutinho and sometimes we have to think what’s in our best interests like with Mane/Firmino/Gini where many wanted those players to stay on for more seasons, in hindsight were any of those decisions bad for the club?

In the case of Salah if he doesn’t extend his contract we have to sell him

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78314 on: April 14, 2024, 01:56:45 pm »

-Yes we don’t know what the future manager will want to implement and how the DOF/Edwards want to play for the long term

-Yes I don’t think we will be replacing with a like for like, we have to think about the combinations with the right back and midfield and see what qualities are missing

Is there a young left footed Sadio Mane somewhere out there?

Offline eeekaj

• Anny Roader
« Reply #78315 on: April 14, 2024, 04:53:24 pm »
I think it’s time to cash in on Nunez and Salah for different reasons.

Nunez - just not good enough, for the amount he costs and what we could regain, he isn’t going to win us trophies unfortunately.

Salah - kills me to say this about the legend himself, but time is catching up with him.

I’d like to see the club go for a deadly finisher (Osimhen, Gyokeres or Isak) and a pacey, direct wide player (Doku-esque)

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78316 on: April 14, 2024, 04:53:58 pm »

Nunez - just not good enough, for the amount he costs and what we could regain, he isn’t going to win us trophies unfortunately.

Salah - kills me to say this about the legend himself, but time is catching up with him.

I’d like to see the club go for a deadly finisher (Osimhen, Gyokeres or Isak) and a pacey, direct wide player (Doku-esque)
Weve won a trophy.

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78317 on: April 14, 2024, 04:54:26 pm »

Replacing Salah with a Doku type would completely solidify us as a top 4 contender rather than title challenger.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #78318 on: April 14, 2024, 04:54:58 pm »
Weve won a trophy.
Are we going to parade the League Cup?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78319 on: April 14, 2024, 04:55:55 pm »
Are we going to parade the League Cup?

Yes, they've already confirmed there will be a parade.