Author Topic: Arctic Monkeys  (Read 112034 times)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Arctic Monkeys
« Reply #1400 on: October 22, 2022, 08:36:18 am »
Not heard new stuff yet. What's the best song on this album as a starter?

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1401 on: October 22, 2022, 10:27:46 am »
Not heard new stuff yet. What's the best song on this album as a starter?
I think it's best to listen to the whole thing instead of cherry picking the songs out. The album in its entirety flows really well. But to answer your question I'd probably suggest Body Paint and Big Ideas as a starting point. I really like Perfect Sense and Hello You, too.

I've listened to the whole album maybe 3 times now and it is a grower. People expecting anthems will be disappointed, but it's very well made, there's lots of variety and the only song I actually dislike is Jet Skis on the Moat.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1402 on: October 22, 2022, 10:58:53 am »
I think it's best to listen to the whole thing instead of cherry picking the songs out. The album in its entirety flows really well. But to answer your question I'd probably suggest Body Paint and Big Ideas as a starting point. I really like Perfect Sense and Hello You, too.

I've listened to the whole album maybe 3 times now and it is a grower. People expecting anthems will be disappointed, but it's very well made, there's lots of variety and the only song I actually dislike is Jet Skis on the Moat.
I honestly can't remember the last time I've listened to an album from start to finish.

Will check those out for sure ;D

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1403 on: October 22, 2022, 06:09:39 pm »

Jet Skis on the Moat is probably my favourite ;D

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1404 on: October 22, 2022, 08:09:26 pm »
I don't really like them but whatever it's called that they're playing on radio1 all the time is very Bowie like and I do like it ☺️

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1405 on: October 22, 2022, 10:57:49 pm »
I appreciate the ambition to move in a different direction and provide something new. Bands need to do this to stay relevant and I find the criticism of people basically wanting a fresh Favourite Worst Nightmare (as if such a thing would be possible) to be unfair, because had they produced the same album 5 - 6 times they’d be reduced to a non-stop mid-tier venue touring band, not a global-festival headlining, massive band.

However, after two full listens I’m underwhelmed. I was with the last album too. It has a few pleasant tracks but I can’t say much beyond that. I’m not necessarily looking for anthems, of which there’s none, but certainly a couple more ‘earworms’ of which I’m not sure there’s a single one. I’ll be honest, after  TBHAC this album feels unnecessary. I can see the craft, it’s brilliantly produced but this is probably the weakest the band’s ever come out with. Some lovely orchestration but just not for me and it’s now 2013 since they came out with a great album.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1406 on: October 23, 2022, 01:59:37 am »
I’ve listened to it a couple of times yesterday and had it on tonight as well - enjoying it immensely for the most part. The three tracks I’m currently not sold on would be the title track, “Mr Schwartz” and “Perfect Sense”, but it’ll no doubt come in time.

Some of the instrumentation on this album is as ethereal as I’ve ever heard from this group. The string sections are all used perfectly and to hear a band which made its name as such a rambunctious and loud outfit now playing with such restraint is seriously impressive in my opinion.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1407 on: October 23, 2022, 06:25:17 pm »
Playing a load of these on R6 now
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1408 on: October 24, 2022, 09:38:00 pm »
I appreciate the ambition to move in a different direction and provide something new. Bands need to do this to stay relevant and I find the criticism of people basically wanting a fresh Favourite Worst Nightmare (as if such a thing would be possible) to be unfair, because had they produced the same album 5 - 6 times they’d be reduced to a non-stop mid-tier venue touring band, not a global-festival headlining, massive band.

However, after two full listens I’m underwhelmed. I was with the last album too. It has a few pleasant tracks but I can’t say much beyond that. I’m not necessarily looking for anthems, of which there’s none, but certainly a couple more ‘earworms’ of which I’m not sure there’s a single one. I’ll be honest, after  TBHAC this album feels unnecessary. I can see the craft, it’s brilliantly produced but this is probably the weakest the band’s ever come out with. Some lovely orchestration but just not for me and it’s now 2013 since they came out with a great album.
I get what you mean, but I do think (unlike their previous) this one is a grower. I really didn’t like Body Paint when it came out as a single, but I really like it now. It’s probably the only one on the album that is an earworm as you called it.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1409 on: October 24, 2022, 10:14:28 pm »
What's the movie Alex did the soundtrack to  ?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1410 on: October 24, 2022, 10:22:19 pm »
What's the movie Alex did the soundtrack to  ?

Submarine?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1411 on: October 24, 2022, 10:25:07 pm »
Submarine?

That's the one.

Anybody seen it and was it worth your time  ?

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1412 on: October 24, 2022, 11:51:08 pm »
That's the one.

Anybody seen it and was it worth your time  ?

I can remember quite liking it. Richard Ayoade is the writer and director. I think some of the stylistic devices used were very of the time, Tumblr-influenced French New Wave revival, but there is also some beautifully shot sequences and Alex Turner’s contributions to the soundtrack are nice. It’s definitely worth a watch.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1413 on: October 28, 2022, 08:54:00 pm »
the mirrorball song is terrible. I turn the XM from Alt Nation or XMU asap when it comes on.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1414 on: November 5, 2022, 07:23:44 pm »
On BBC 2 tonight. Not sure if it's new. 21.30

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1415 on: November 5, 2022, 08:14:50 pm »
On BBC 2 tonight. Not sure if it's new. 21.30

Nice one,it's new.

Arctic Monkeys at Later... with Jools Holland A special edition dedicated to Arctic Monkeys, with the Sheffield band performing There'd Better Be a Mirrorball and Body Paint from new album The Car, as well as a selection of old favourites. Frontman Alex Turner and drummer Matt Helders join Jools for a chat at the piano, where they reveal the process behind making the new album and reflect on their previous appearances, including a look back at their debut on the show in 2005

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #1416 on: November 8, 2022, 01:18:36 pm »
Funny seeing their 1st appearance from 2005 again.

Being the same age as them, I never thought they looked young in 2005! When they were little spotty kids!
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1417 on: November 15, 2022, 08:33:56 am »
I have to say that ‘The Car’ hasn’t really stuck with me after liking it when it first came out.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1418 on: December 30, 2022, 06:50:12 pm »
Got tickets for their February show, first time I’m gonna be seeing them live. Can’t wait!
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1419 on: March 3, 2023, 04:46:44 pm »
Got tickets for their February show, first time I’m gonna be seeing them live. Can’t wait!
Loved the show and this was their setlist:

"Sculptures of Anything Goes"
"Brianstorm"
"Snap Out Of It"
"Crying Lightning"
"Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair"
"Potion Approaching"
"Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?"
"Four Out of Five"
"Arabella"
"Pretty Visitors"
"Cornerstone"
"Do I Wanna Know?"
"One Point Perspective"
"Teddy Picker"
"From The Ritz to the Rubble"
"I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor"
"Do Me A Favour"
"Body Paint"
"There'd Better Be a Mirrorball"
"505"
"R U Mine?"

Shame about not having some of my favs like Mardy Bum, Sun Goes Down, Fluorescent, Certified Romance and Black Treacle. Cornerstone and 505 also sounded a fair bit worse live than the album versions.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1420 on: May 21, 2023, 06:44:46 pm »
Don't suppose anyone's after a couple of tickets, 17th June at the Emirates? Seeing them in Madrid a couple of weeks after so don't need them anymore.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #1421 on: June 3, 2023, 12:43:21 am »
Superb gig at Old Trafford tonight. The setlist was almost perfect. Body Paint sounded even better live. Always good to hear a classic in Mardy Bum for nostalgia.

Shame When The Sun Goes Down doesn’t get a rare outing but can understand why. Sculptures of Anything Goes could easily be replaced by I Wanna Be Yours.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1422 on: June 3, 2023, 02:40:06 pm »
Superb gig at Old Trafford tonight. The setlist was almost perfect. Body Paint sounded even better live. Always good to hear a classic in Mardy Bum for nostalgia.

Shame When The Sun Goes Down doesn’t get a rare outing but can understand why. Sculptures of Anything Goes could easily be replaced by I Wanna Be Yours.

Yeah was a great gig last night.

Loved The Hives supporting them, quite worrying at the start when Howlin' Pelle managed to smack himself in the head with his microphone and it was bleeding quite badly.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1423 on: June 3, 2023, 04:24:38 pm »
Went yesterday myself, and really enjoyed it. Beers in the sun, three cracking bands, and a brilliant setlist from the headliners.

First 'stadium' size gig I've been too since seeing Oasis at Heaton Park in 2009 - definitely a very different experience to what I'm used to. Being so far away, there were definitely some moments when I felt a bit disconnected to the event compared to what I'm used to. I'll be looking forward to watching their Glastonbury set on the tv.

Loved The Hives supporting them, quite worrying at the start when Howlin' Pelle managed to smack himself in the head with his microphone and it was bleeding quite badly.

Might a right noise, that mic! Along with the dent in his head!

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1424 on: June 6, 2023, 01:03:41 pm »

I'm gutted that Cornerstone doesn't seem to be on the setlist. I think it's the best thing A Turner ever wrote.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #1425 on: June 6, 2023, 01:40:58 pm »
I'm gutted that Cornerstone doesn't seem to be on the setlist. I think it's the best thing A Turner ever wrote.

They played it on 2nd night in Manchester and actually opened with it last night in Middlesbrough.

Feels like they are shuffling the deck to try and find the right first song for Glastonbury
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #1426 on: June 6, 2023, 01:46:54 pm »
From Radio X, setlist for Middlesbrough

:
Arctic Monkeys' setlist at The Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough on 5th June 2023:
1. Cornerstone (First time ever as opener.)

2. Brianstorm

3. Snap Out of It

4. Crying Lightning

5. Teddy Picker

6. The View From the Afternoon

7. Four Out of Five

8. Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?

9. Arabella

10. Pretty Visitors

11. Fluorescent Adolescent

12. Perfect Sense

13. Do I Wanna Know?

14. Mardy Bum

15. There'd Better Be a Mirrorball

16. 505

17. I Wanna Be Yours (John Cooper Clarke cover)

18. Body Paint

Encore:

19. Sculptures of Anything Goes

20. I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor

21. R U Mine?

Personally think they could lose Pretty Visitors and probably one Morland have at least 1 song from Suck It and See. They've played both SIAS and Don't sit down cause I've moved your chair recently
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1427 on: June 6, 2023, 03:37:02 pm »
From Radio X, setlist for Middlesbrough

:
Arctic Monkeys' setlist at The Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough on 5th June 2023:

Personally think they could lose Pretty Visitors and probably one Morland have at least 1 song from Suck It and See. They've played both SIAS and Don't sit down cause I've moved your chair recently

Played both on Friday in Manchester. Big fan of that album.

https://www.setlist.fm/search?artist=3d6bdbf&query=tour:%28The+Car%29

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1428 on: June 6, 2023, 06:01:28 pm »
As someone who loves the album cut, Cornerstone sounds a bit off the wat they play it live.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #1429 on: June 6, 2023, 07:04:59 pm »
Played both on Friday in Manchester. Big fan of that album.

https://www.setlist.fm/search?artist=3d6bdbf&query=tour:%28The+Car%29

Noticed that last year they played That's Where you're wrong a few times. Underrated track of theirs that
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1430 on: June 6, 2023, 07:20:25 pm »
Made me a bit melancholy being there Saturday, where's 20 years gone?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #1431 on: June 10, 2023, 10:28:41 pm »
They opened with A Certain Romance in their home gig last night.

Feel like they are starting to appreciate their early stuff more in their sets
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1432 on: June 11, 2023, 02:57:23 pm »

Going to see them at the Emirates next Sunday. Any idea what time the support and main acts typically come on? Doors open at 5 but don’t want to wait around for ages and am in seating so no need to find a spot.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1433 on: June 11, 2023, 09:58:09 pm »
Going to see them at the Emirates next Sunday. Any idea what time the support and main acts typically come on? Doors open at 5 but don’t want to wait around for ages and am in seating so no need to find a spot.

They came on about 8.50pm at Old Trafford, finished at 10.30pm
Think The Hives were on about 7.30pm.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1434 on: June 12, 2023, 02:35:35 pm »

Manchester was:

16:30 - doors open
18:40 - The Mysterines
19:30 - The Hives
20:50 - Arctic Monkeys
10:30 - finish