Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2824027 times)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #48080 on: September 1, 2018, 07:31:46 pm »
The Raiders have often found ways to shoot themselves in the foot......  but this isn't one of them.

Yes Mack is a great player, but they can't keep dishing out $100 mil contracts. They have Carr, Cooper, Mack was still under contract and sat out like a baby through all of the offseason.

Will this set a precedent for players to honour their contracts? not really, but the Raiders had to make a choice.

Two 1st round draft picks is not bad (and potentially enough money to sign someone else).

Mack is a great player and I would have loved to keep him, but ultimately he played hard ball and now he gets to enjoy Da Bears, he is just one player, Suh was paid a mountain when he went to the Dolphins and meh.

Not a great situation, but in all of the past bad moves for some reason I can't put this on the team this time. At some point you draw the line.

Khalil Mack is one of the best 3 defensive players in the league.

Derek Carr is a below average QB and Cooper is a middling good WR. Your argument for not paying one of the best players in football is that inferior guys also need to be paid well?
You're paying 33 year old Jordy Nelson $14million. So are you a win-now or full rebuild? Because paying Nelson and heading Mack makes zero sense.

It's a dumb move made by a guy out of the league for over a decade with no clue of a player's worth.
Also, do you really trust Gruden to use those picks wisely?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #48081 on: September 1, 2018, 08:49:53 pm »
Bears get: Khalil Mack, a 2020 second-round round pick and a conditional 2020 fifth-round pick.

Raiders get: 2019 first-round pick, 2020 first-round pick, 2020 third-round pick, 2019 sixth-round pick.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #48082 on: September 1, 2018, 09:32:26 pm »
Khalil Mack is one of the best 3 defensive players in the league.

Derek Carr is a below average QB and Cooper is a middling good WR. Your argument for not paying one of the best players in football is that inferior guys also need to be paid well?
You're paying 33 year old Jordy Nelson $14million. So are you a win-now or full rebuild? Because paying Nelson and heading Mack makes zero sense.

It's a dumb move made by a guy out of the league for over a decade with no clue of a player's worth.
Also, do you really trust Gruden to use those picks wisely?
I would suggest most analysts would disagree with your assessment of both Carr and Coop. Both young, loaded with talent, no off field issues and have the potential to be an amazing combo.

You may think they are inferior. Let the Raiders offer Carr up for a trade and see what teams would be willing to stump up for him.

This argument is meaningless anyway.. You have a young QB who by all accounts is the future of the franchise, you also have a young explosive receiver, you go with these guys, you don't break the bank for a DE and then leave yourself with little or no cap space for the rest of the roster. As Gruden said the Raiders D was struggling even with Mack in it.

Nelson is on $14 for two years. The question about full rebuild or win now is not that straight forward, this isn't the PL, you can't just throw money at players left and right, you have a cap, and you have to make tough decisions. Nelson might be brought in to mentor and act as a transition for the team for those 2 years, who knows?

Mack is a wonderful player but paying him what he thinks he's worth would leave the team with little or no money to operate.

They had to make a call and in some ways it's irrelevant if the drafts turn out perfect or not (they most likely won't be as good as Mack) but their hands are tied; guy wants to get paid, Rams just blew over $100 mil on their guy so he'll be expecting same or more....   you either pay him and have 0 left for the rest of the team, or you take a chance on drafts and try and find replacements that -although won't be as good- will go some way to filling the void.

As I've said before, did the Dolphins explode once Suh came on board? or the Skins with Haynesworth or what about the Seahawks when they took Gallery from the Raiders?

Not in anyway downplaying his contribution; Chicago has got a hell of a player but worth $100mil? nah, sorry, not when the Raiders need to address several positions. The only teams that can afford Mack are teams with rookie QB's like Chicago. Good luck if Trubisky does well and in a year or two demands a big contract.

I wish him well, but the Raiders are making do with a tough situation.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2018, 09:34:46 pm by TipTopKop »

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #48083 on: September 1, 2018, 09:34:15 pm »
Bears get: Khalil Mack, a 2020 second-round round pick and a conditional 2020 fifth-round pick.

Raiders get: 2019 first-round pick, 2020 first-round pick, 2020 third-round pick, 2019 sixth-round pick.

Crazy.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #48084 on: September 1, 2018, 09:44:13 pm »
At least they've signed a j mccarron...

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #48085 on: September 1, 2018, 09:50:02 pm »
At least they've signed a j mccarron...

Very odd. Buffalo must be going all in on Allen. Hell of a lot of money for the Bills to have wasted for a fifth rounder given the Bills gave McCarron $10m/2yr in March

Mike Rodak@mikerodak
The Bills will take a $2.1M dead-money hit in 2018 and $2M dead-money hit in 2019 for AJ McCarron. The Raiders will only owe McCarron his $900,000 fully-guaranteed base salary in 2018.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2018, 09:56:52 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #48086 on: September 2, 2018, 12:10:15 am »
Jerick McKinnon could be out for the season, looks like he's done his ACL on the last play in practice.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #48087 on: September 2, 2018, 12:18:25 am »
To add insult to injury for the Raiders, they've cut Martavis Bryant, who's facing a long suspension over another substance abuse violation, & the Raiders traded a 3rd round draft pick to the Steelers for him. :duh
#Sausages

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #48088 on: September 2, 2018, 12:45:08 am »
To add insult to injury for the Raiders, they've cut Martavis Bryant, who's facing a long suspension over another substance abuse violation, & the Raiders traded a 3rd round draft pick to the Steelers for him. :duh

:lmao What a day in a Oakland.  Trying to burn any remaining goodwill before they move to Vegas

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48089 on: September 2, 2018, 03:58:26 am »
If you are a 49ers fan , your RB is out for the year, acl done in practice.

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48090 on: September 2, 2018, 04:33:44 am »
Cowboys cut Dan Bailey!

:o
King Kenny.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #48091 on: September 2, 2018, 09:04:02 am »
Raiders are tanking without even planning to. They'll win about 3 games this season if they're lucky.
This is on Davis and Gruden. It's going to be such a disaster.

Yep, utterly disgusted by this. They think two shots at drafting makes up for an all-pro talent?

Oh and they threw in a second rounder TO the bears to sweeten the deal.WTF is wrong with them?

They also just sent out the message that they won't pay their best players.

Lost in the shitstorm was the fact that they also cut Martavis Bryant a guy they sent a 3rd to pittsburgh for.

Weird how the front office has gone to shit since gruden arrived. I'm put in mind of the owner from Major League who wants to tank to facilitate moving the franchise. Next i expect bowl-cut to sell out to Sheldon the fascist Adelson.

I think I'll be neutral this season & hopefully enjoy some good football.

Ps: just noticed my starting HB in the fantasy league went down for the season.  Great stuff.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #48092 on: September 2, 2018, 09:13:45 am »
Yep, utterly disgusted by this. They think two shots at drafting makes up for an all-pro talent?

Oh and they threw in a second rounder TO the bears to sweeten the deal.WTF is wrong with them?

They also just sent out the message that they won't pay their best players.

Lost in the shitstorm was the fact that they also cut Martavis Bryant a guy they sent a 3rd to pittsburgh for.

Weird how the front office has gone to shit since gruden arrived. I'm put in mind of the owner from Major League who wants to tank to facilitate moving the franchise. Next i expect bowl-cut to sell out to Sheldon the fascist Adelson.

I think I'll be neutral this season & hopefully enjoy some good football.

Ps: just noticed my starting HB in the fantasy league went down for the season.  Great stuff.

Trading the 3rd round pick for Martavis Bryant, only for him to be facing suspension for substance abuse violation, is bizarre one, something like the Jets would do ;D, did the Raiders know about this or was it after he joined the Raiders he got caught, certainly a great move by the Steelers, who ended up picking a QB, as possible replacement in the future for Big Ben.
#Sausages

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #48093 on: September 2, 2018, 09:16:05 am »
I need the Chargers to have a good season. Got Rivers, Gordon and the kicker on my fantasy team. Expecting them to have a really high powered offense though with Mike Williams back to stretch the field and Keenan Allen there too of course.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #48094 on: September 2, 2018, 09:26:00 am »
I need the Chargers to have a good season. Got Rivers, Gordon and the kicker on my fantasy team. Expecting them to have a really high powered offense though with Mike Williams back to stretch the field and Keenan Allen there too of course.

They'll probably all end up injured. I pretty much expect to see their 3rd stringers at Wembley.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48095 on: September 2, 2018, 09:56:11 am »
Buzzing that the Ravens finally cut Perriman. I'm so glad we have an impressive track record with late round draft picks because our use of early round picks is atrocious.

The pick we refused to give the Cowboys when we wanted Jalen Ramsey just got cut. So typical ;D

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48096 on: September 2, 2018, 09:57:14 am »
Cowboys cut Dan Bailey!

I'm guessing a rookie beat him out?

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48097 on: September 2, 2018, 11:52:10 am »
This is my first year playing fantasy so don't know all the ins and outs, but if my backup QB is Glennon and there's Flacco as a free agent, it's surely not a bad decision to sign him?

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #48098 on: September 2, 2018, 11:54:35 am »
Cowboys cut Dan Bailey!

fuck me, although he hasn't been quite the same since his injury last year
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48099 on: September 2, 2018, 01:32:51 pm »
This is my first year playing fantasy so don't know all the ins and outs, but if my backup QB is Glennon and there's Flacco as a free agent, it's surely not a bad decision to sign him?

Glennon isn't a starter is he? I'd definitely consider it. Who have you got as your starting QB?

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48100 on: September 2, 2018, 03:37:37 pm »
Glennon isn't a starter is he? I'd definitely consider it. Who have you got as your starting QB?

Goff is the starter. I've decided to dump Glennon in favour of Flacco. Now all that's left is to hope Dez Bryant finds a club...

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #48101 on: September 2, 2018, 04:20:11 pm »

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #48102 on: September 2, 2018, 08:43:11 pm »
How come I have an empty place on my bench, but when I try to add a free agent I'm still supposed to drop a player?

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48103 on: September 2, 2018, 08:44:59 pm »
How come I have an empty place on my bench, but when I try to add a free agent I'm still supposed to drop a player?

are you sure it's your bench and not your starters?

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48104 on: September 2, 2018, 08:53:18 pm »
are you sure it's your bench and not your starters?

Yeah. When I look at my next game, there's only 6 players on my bench whereas the other team has 7 players. I thought maybe I had a guy who's not playing, but when I look at my roster I have only 6 players on the bench as well...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48105 on: September 2, 2018, 09:02:48 pm »
Yeah. When I look at my next game, there's only 6 players on my bench whereas the other team has 7 players. I thought maybe I had a guy who's not playing, but when I look at my roster I have only 6 players on the bench as well...

That's odd mate. Never seen that before

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48106 on: September 2, 2018, 09:04:22 pm »
In that case, I'll take it as an excuse if I don't win... ;)

Will give it a try sometime using the website maybe it'll work there. The app seems to be a bit messy...

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #48107 on: September 2, 2018, 09:32:30 pm »

How many bench players do you have? If you’re looking at the matchup screen and have less than your opponent it could be they’ve got one less starter.
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48108 on: September 2, 2018, 09:36:45 pm »
How many bench players do you have? If you’re looking at the matchup screen and have less than your opponent it could be they’ve got one less starter.

:wellin
That was the problem... Should have checked that...

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #48109 on: September 3, 2018, 09:39:12 am »
Gonna sound like a right oaf, but having a crack at the NFL handicap in work and will hold my hands up, don't known enough about it to be 100% confident.

I'm pretty much sorted for my picks (MVP, most touchdowns etc), but cant get my head around AFC and NFC wildcards, is this like a play-off scenario? Genuinely stumped by it.

:-[
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #48110 on: September 3, 2018, 09:41:14 am »
A good synopsis of the Raiders'shitshow Saturday
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/9/1/17810444/raiders-worst-cut-down-day-ever-khalil-mack-jon-gruden-aj-mccarron

So the Raiders also cut two tackles who had played the whole pre-season (Sharpe & Silberman) as back-ups and drawn some praise after they had made the 53. They had been there all summer and made the team. Then they got two guys in off the street. It`s the same deal with McCarron/Manual/Cook. Why train and play someone all summer then cut them for an unknown quantity? Why trade a known quantity (Mack) for draft picks who most likely won`t reach his level? And if they do they will want paid. What`s the point of winning the draft (eventually then giving away your best players? You`d be as well going down the Redskins/Bobby Beathard route and trading away your picks in favour of veterans.

I think there is civil war in the front office and as such Reggie MacKenzie`s days are numbered. They`re also going out of their way to piss off the Oakland fans before they up-sticks. It appears a major rebuild is in the offing and they are preparing to tank.

These guys don't look so good.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #48111 on: September 3, 2018, 11:21:28 am »

Glennon has a close to zero chance of taking a snap this season.  Pick literally anyone else.

I'm pretty much sorted for my picks (MVP, most touchdowns etc), but cant get my head around AFC and NFC wildcards, is this like a play-off scenario? Genuinely stumped by it.

The wildcards are the best two non-divisional winning teams in each conference. They'll play the #3 and #4 seeds from the division winners in the playofffs.
I think the Titans and the Chargers in the AFC - there's not too many good teams in the AFC.
NFC is trickier:  I think the Packers and the Falcons will go very close in their divisions so I'd go for them, but the 49ers with Shanahan could be really exciting and could win 10 games.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #48112 on: September 3, 2018, 01:02:00 pm »
Glennon has a close to zero chance of taking a snap this season.  Pick literally anyone else.

The wildcards are the best two non-divisional winning teams in each conference. They'll play the #3 and #4 seeds from the division winners in the playofffs.
I think the Titans and the Chargers in the AFC - there's not too many good teams in the AFC.
NFC is trickier:  I think the Packers and the Falcons will go very close in their divisions so I'd go for them, but the 49ers with Shanahan could be really exciting and could win 10 games.

Cheers bud, explains it nicely.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48113 on: September 3, 2018, 11:27:43 pm »
So the Raiders also cut two tackles who had played the whole pre-season (Sharpe & Silberman) as back-ups and drawn some praise after they had made the 53. They had been there all summer and made the team. Then they got two guys in off the street. It`s the same deal with McCarron/Manual/Cook. Why train and play someone all summer then cut them for an unknown quantity? Why trade a known quantity (Mack) for draft picks who most likely won`t reach his level? And if they do they will want paid. What`s the point of winning the draft (eventually then giving away your best players? You`d be as well going down the Redskins/Bobby Beathard route and trading away your picks in favour of veterans.

I think there is civil war in the front office and as such Reggie MacKenzie`s days are numbered. They`re also going out of their way to piss off the Oakland fans before they up-sticks. It appears a major rebuild is in the offing and they are preparing to tank.

These guys don't look so good.
I can't lay claim to knowing what goes on in that pirate ship Killie and moves like cutting Bryant do raise eyebrows about the overall aim.

But franchises second guess themselves all the time and do shoot themselves in the foot from time to time. There's quite an episode brewing with the Steelers and Bell and I think you'll see more and more of this.

Not to excuse what has been going on but I do think sometimes you see Mack getting $141 million and there's no way a team with a veteran QB was going to afford that (else the Packers would have been all over him). Sometimes, brutally the numbers for certain positions don't make sense. I believe you will see more teams faced with this problem now.

The Raiders are going to get four 1st round draft picks over the next 2 years and you would hope that amongst those there would be at least 2 players that can contribute maybe not Mack level, but somewhere close. This will still leave the Raiders with enough cap space to get some talent on top of that.

There might be well be a rebuild going on, but it might not be as calamitous as some report. Apart from the Mack situation the people being moved are backups, support cast etc and they were hardly going to significantly add to the production on field you would think. The Mack issue is painful but again I look at the salary and there's no way they could have afforded that; he's on more money than Carr.

If it's any consolation the rest of the AFC West isn't exactly on fire, Chiefs are not going anywhere with Smith gone, Broncos know they have major needs and Chargers have an ageing QB and can't seem to shake off their injuries.

I dunno, I'm intrigued, won't be long 'till we find out how this new phase works!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48114 on: September 3, 2018, 11:37:38 pm »
If the Chiefs don't go anywhere it won't be because Smith has gone. Mahomes has an absolutely ridiculous arm and when you've Hunt, Kelce, Hill, Watkins and some others you're going to score a million. Their defence is putrid now though.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48115 on: September 3, 2018, 11:42:26 pm »
If the Chiefs don't go anywhere it won't be because Smith has gone. Mahomes has an absolutely ridiculous arm and when you've Hunt, Kelce, Hill, Watkins and some others you're going to score a million. Their defence is putrid now though.
May well be, I don't know the details on the Chiefs to be honest but a young guy coming in there's bound to be mistakes and a learning curve that go with that.

But yes, each team in that division has some serious questions, I think it might again be one of those 9-7 team takes the whole division scenarios.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #48116 on: September 4, 2018, 03:40:05 pm »
Steelers Le'Veon Bell still hasn't signed the extended contract he's been offered, & hasn't practiced with the team yet, but is expected to sign the extension later this week.
#Sausages

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48117 on: September 4, 2018, 05:05:32 pm »
Not going to waste everyone’s time a lot, just have one question here. Have watched School of Hard Knocks with the Cleveland Browns. They struck me as a very professional organization but I also learned that they went fucking 0-16 last season. Will they be any better this year?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48118 on: September 4, 2018, 05:08:46 pm »
Not going to waste everyone’s time a lot, just have one question here. Have watched School of Hard Knocks with the Cleveland Browns. They struck me as a very professional organization but I also learned that they went fucking 0-16 last season. Will they be any better this year?

Yes, for the first time in a long time they may win several games, they have enough talent offensively to win at least 6-8 games.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #48119 on: September 4, 2018, 05:18:28 pm »

Not only did the Browns go 0-16 last year they were 1-15 the year before, effectively 1-31 the last 2 seasons under head coach Hue Jackson any other coach will have been fired by now with that record, but they've drafted well & have some talent so could well get close to 8-8.
#Sausages