Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2824082 times)

Offline Red Star

• Kopite
Re: The NFL Thread - AKA The Packer Thread
« Reply #4000 on: February 5, 2008, 11:23:36 am »

Where as the Giants pretty much controlled the Superbowl for the majority.

Nah, they trailed 7-3 for most of the game.

Fantastic last drive though. Never would I have thought Eli Manning could do that. It will be interesting to see if he can carry this over into a full season now.

The NFC East will be tougher than usual next year as I can see all 4 teams improving.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4001 on: February 5, 2008, 11:33:13 am »

Fantastic last drive though. Never would I have thought Eli Manning could do that. It will be interesting to see if he can carry this over into a full season now.

The NFC East will be tougher than usual next year as I can see all 4 teams improving.
Even though we trailed...I felt that we were comfortable for the whole game.

Our front 4 was just dominant.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4002 on: February 5, 2008, 11:44:09 am »

To be fair, Manning has been largely mistake free for the last half of the NFL season - and occasionally brilliant during that period. Which was also how he played on Sunday.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Red Star

• Kopite
« Reply #4003 on: February 5, 2008, 12:19:39 pm »
Even though we trailed...I felt that we were comfortable for the whole game.

Our front 4 was just dominant.

The defense was dominant...but the offense was nowhere to be seen after the initial drive (a FG) until the 4th qtr. Manning came up with the goods then but I am looking at whether he can take it to the next level. The division will be a dogfight next year!

Go Skins ;D

Offline Red Star

• Kopite
« Reply #4004 on: February 5, 2008, 12:23:12 pm »
To be fair, Manning has been largely mistake free for the last half of the NFL season - and occasionally brilliant during that period. Which was also how he played on Sunday.

Yeah, look at the record:- WLWLWLWL. Not great, is it?

The D stepped it up a couple of notches in the playoffs and Eli limited his mistakes. Even the INT on Sunday wasn't his fault. So kudos to him.

Roll on September!

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #4005 on: February 5, 2008, 02:13:18 pm »
No. True greatness is measured by what happens in the clutch, and the Patriots - that impressive 18-0 streak notwithstanding - did not perform when it mattered most. You can say it all you want, but for me no Super Bowl losing team can ever be rated the greatest of all time.

Once again, I state that this is a team that has been in the making for years now. This isn't a matter of one season.

We'll be back next year to rack up another couple wins, and are early favourites for the Super Bowl.

I've not heard anyone else say - the Steeler teams of the 70s, or the Niners of the 80s, or the Cowboys of the 90s, were "better".

It may be subjective in one sense, but the sheer number of wins we've racked up in the last 5 years, plus the fucking freight train of a season we've had this year, make a strong case for this team being able to beat all others.

Credit to the Giants for winning in the clutch. No matter what the press wants you to believe, 18-1 is goddamn fucking impressive.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4006 on: February 5, 2008, 06:52:23 pm »
The difference is that Liverpool were outplayed for large stretches of that game.

Where as the Giants pretty much controlled the Superbowl for the majority.

Haha what? No one was in control of the Superbowl. To be honest, I never felt worried for one second, I thought we would just do what we had in the last few matches and get it together in the 4th.

The Giants well and truly deserved it, but they did nothing like control it. If anything the Pats controlled it, because they were in the same situation they have been in for the last 5 games. Giants had the tight D and the luck when it mattered most. Some would argue the Pats lost it as much as the Giants won it, I personally wouldn't be that arrogant though.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2008, 06:55:58 pm by Tom_B »
We're on our way to glory...

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4007 on: February 5, 2008, 07:08:25 pm »
Some would argue the Pats lost it as much as the Giants won it, I personally wouldn't be that arrogant though.

Sorry Tom, did you call me?

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4008 on: February 5, 2008, 07:13:38 pm »
Sorry Tom, did you call me?

Nope, didn't mean you mate, it was just a general comment.

I don't think you have been overly arrogant anyway, if people can't see this Pats team is special they just don't want to.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4009 on: February 5, 2008, 08:42:12 pm »
Haha what? No one was in control of the Superbowl. To be honest, I never felt worried for one second, I thought we would just do what we had in the last few matches and get it together in the 4th.

The Giants well and truly deserved it, but they did nothing like control it. If anything the Pats controlled it, because they were in the same situation they have been in for the last 5 games. Giants had the tight D and the luck when it mattered most. Some would argue the Pats lost it as much as the Giants won it, I personally wouldn't be that arrogant though.
Ya , American football is not a game  one team can dominate with out scoring alot . Both defences dominated the game for the best part , you could see the tiredness in the fourth though . To be honest I felt at easy through out the game and was quite happy for the giants to stay behind for the length off the game , as i felt if they had off kept trading scores it may have got out off hand . (if that makes sence to anyone) Cause when they did go infront Brady came straight down the field in trade mark Brady mood . I also screamed for them to score the last touchdown the play before they did , as you knew it was coming and I wanted the Giants to get the ball back with enough time .

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #4010 on: February 5, 2008, 08:58:07 pm »
If I'm honest I didn't think the Giants would score on that last drive. If they don't convert that "4th and inches" it's all over. If that DB picks off the ball on the sideline  .  .  it's over. If Manning doesn't miraculously escape what appeared to be a certain sack, they're faced with 4th and long. As far as that grab by Tyree, well, probably the most unbelievable play in Super Bowl history. The Giants stepped in shit but they deserved the win clearly. Devastating loss for the Pats but they'll be a force to be reckoned with as long as #12 stays on board.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4011 on: February 5, 2008, 11:30:26 pm »
If I'm honest I didn't think the Giants would score on that last drive. If they don't convert that "4th and inches" it's all over. If that DB picks off the ball on the sideline  .  .  it's over. If Manning doesn't miraculously escape what appeared to be a certain sack, they're faced with 4th and long. As far as that grab by Tyree, well, probably the most unbelievable play in Super Bowl history. The Giants stepped in shit but they deserved the win clearly. Devastating loss for the Pats but they'll be a force to be reckoned with as long as #12 stays on board.

Samuel's missed interception was a bad bad mistake. But you are right, the Giants got it done when it mattered, and that is the most important thing. Fate favoured them.

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #4012 on: February 5, 2008, 11:38:23 pm »
I personally think the NE coach made a huge cock up in going for 4th and long instead of taking on the 49 yard field goal kick, was that down to arrogace, confidence or the fact he didn't think his kicker could make it from 49 yards?

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #4013 on: February 6, 2008, 07:29:24 am »
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4014 on: February 6, 2008, 10:15:28 am »

No way did the Pats lose it. And they had just as many breaks as we did ( The interception, 12 men on the field )

The feeling of control, was just something that I personally felt. After Tuck forced the fumble to end the half...It just felt like we'd somehow do enough to win the game.
Just like against Dallas and Green Bay.

Anyways, what does everyone think about Belichick. These allegations from the Rama-Pats Superbowl back in 2001 season are very damning.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4015 on: February 6, 2008, 01:16:26 pm »
Belichick great coach , not a very nice guy but that won't worry him . As for the new allegations  :-\ 3 months ago the NFL said the guy had nothing so its hard to know .

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4016 on: February 6, 2008, 06:20:05 pm »
I personally think the NE coach made a huge cock up in going for 4th and long instead of taking on the 49 yard field goal kick, was that down to arrogace, confidence or the fact he didn't think his kicker could make it from 49 yards?

A 49 yarder is no formality, and at that point in the game, he probably felt we were comfortable.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4017 on: February 6, 2008, 06:20:57 pm »
No way did the Pats lose it. And they had just as many breaks as we did ( The interception, 12 men on the field )

They weren't breaks, they were a good bit of backfield play, and a cock-up by the Giants.

It is just as easy for me to say we were never in trouble as it is for you to say the Giants weren't. The simple fact is though, they weren't in control, which was my original objection to what you said.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #4018 on: February 7, 2008, 12:04:42 pm »
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4019 on: February 7, 2008, 10:27:00 pm »
And then there's this (thanks to the Onion):

Patriots' Season Perfect For Rest Of Nation

FOXBOROUGH, MA—As the once-invincible, still-insufferable Patriots attempt to come to grips with their 17-14 Super Bowl loss to the Giants, the death of their dream to go undefeated, and the possible end of their dynasty, almost every other person in America is reveling in what they consider the perfect ending to New England's season.

"I just couldn't imagine a better ending to the Patriots odyssey," said Simon Williams, a Kansas City-area football fan who usually watches the college game but found himself caught up in the Patriots' sheer loathsomeness during the season. "The utter lack of humility they displayed alongside an equal lack of any joy in the game, that toad of a coach, and that cologne-ad quarterback… If they have to act that badly while playing that well, you really want to see them fail in the biggest way possible. Thank God almighty, that's what we got."

There is general agreement that the Super Bowl, despite the low score, was one of the finest in recent memory, due in part to the fearsome performance by the Giants and a cool, courageous display of quarterbacking by Eli Manning.

However, when asked about their favorite parts of the game, most fans chose the Patriots' cocky decision to begin the game with a trick play, which the Giants stopped handily; Bill Belichick's smug third-quarter attempt at a fourth-and-13 conversion, which blew up in his face, instead of trying a field goal; and New England's offensive line, which featured three Pro Bowlers, allowing high-cheekboned, doe-eyed, supermodel-impregnating passer Tom Brady to be hit over 20 times during the course of the game.

"Did you see [Giants defensive tackle Lance] Alford smack Brady right in the face on that last drive?" said Bellvue, WA newsstand operator Christian Dansby. "Brady was almost offended. I think he forgot for a few months there that he was a football player. It was just perfect."

"God, seeing Randy Moss do his weird chicken-wing crowd taunt when they scored to go ahead in the fourth was awful," said Jeff Lafferty, who watched the Super Bowl with rabid New England fans despite having known them for years. "What's worse is that the Pats fans ate it up. Of course, when Burress made that catch to win… Perfection. That's the only word for the Pats now. Perfection."

However, most fans gave responses that had little to do with the game itself and more with the almost flawless joy of seeing the Patriots lose, as a team that has been insufferable and unappealing in victory instantly became inconsolable and self-pitying in defeat.

Frequently mentioned examples of instances which, upon reflection, sweetened the Patriots' utter failure included the team's propensity to complain about unfair officiating after their victories; their habit of gleefully running up the score, which also resulted in Brady and Moss earning NFL single-season scoring records in blowouts; and of course, the players' and coaches' hateful attitude.

"Come on, that cheating scandal to open the season and all they say is 'Everybody does it?' They could have at least acted a little bit sorry," said Milwaukee architect and sports fan David Engel. "They acted like a bunch of third-graders, just the way Belichick did when he ran off the field with time left on the clock. At least he shook the other coach's hand this time. That's a first for the big baby."

"The worst part for me is that none of them seem to enjoy playing football," said Lexington, KY-area mechanic Jack Colgrave. "Even when they were winning, all they did was taunt—Randy Moss taunting crowds, Wes Welker telling people they sucked, Brady sneering at the very idea they might get beat someday. What a bunch of absolutely perfect *******s."

"Did their team plane land safely back in Foxborough?" Colgrave asked. "It didn't happen to lose altitude over Boston, burst into a cartwheel of flames, throwing players like Roman candles across New England, and then slam into few dozen loudmouth Patriots' fans houses? It didn't? Well, I guess no football season is perfect."

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4020 on: February 7, 2008, 11:22:20 pm »
That's just a wee bit over the top! With all the anti-New York and anti New York sport bias throughout America, it's all the more hard to believe! As I said the other day I would have been pulling for the Pats if they were up against anyone other than the Giants.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4021 on: February 8, 2008, 12:25:44 am »
Wish some people would learn to be gracious winners. Also, that comment on the plane crash, utterly pathetic, whether a joke or not.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #4022 on: February 8, 2008, 12:31:23 am »
Sick bastard.  I guess some Southerners hate 'Yankees' even more than they hate New Yorkers.
Kill the humourless

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4023 on: February 8, 2008, 01:50:09 am »
Wish some people would learn to be gracious winners. Also, that comment on the plane crash, utterly pathetic, whether a joke or not.

Er, from The Onion - I think known for its over the top satiricism.

You have to admit it, though it's a joke, it voices what many fans of other teams were thinking of the Patriots in the lead up to the Super Bowl.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4024 on: February 8, 2008, 05:08:40 am »
NICARAGUA POOR GET PAT*S T'S
By TODD VENEZIA

February 7, 2008 -- The Giants may be America's Super Bowl champs, but there will still be one place in the world where the Patriots' sorry dreams of a perfect season live on: Nicaragua.

Thousands and thousands of unsold caps and T-shirts printed with "19-0" and "Patriots Super Bowl Champions" have been donated to a charity that will ship them next week to the impoverished Central American country.

As soon as the gear arrives, poor children across Nicaragua will be transformed into unwitting members of Patriots Nation.

"It will be a parallel universe, where the Patriots had a perfect season," said Karen Kartes, a spokeswoman for World Vision, the charity that will be delivering the items.

Instead of throwing them away, the NFL has donated the clothes to World Vision.

"They had to be ready for market," said Kartes. "So now, they have to cut their losses."

She said that the people in Nicaragua probably won't know who the Patriots are or the meaning of "19-0."

"They don't care what team name is on it," she said. "They don't know about football. Some of these people have never had a new piece of clothing in their lives. They will wear them until they are threadbare."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02072008..._ts_873299.htm

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4025 on: February 8, 2008, 05:18:54 am »
ARGH seriously what the fuck.

Grr.

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #4026 on: February 8, 2008, 05:25:50 am »
ARGH seriously what the fuck.

Grr.

that's charity- relax they don't know the difference

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4027 on: February 8, 2008, 05:28:26 am »
Yeah it's OK.

PS: The Patriots are gay. I mean what's with the tights and the humping?

:P
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #4028 on: February 8, 2008, 11:31:12 am »
Love the Onion article.
DAMMIT!

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4029 on: February 8, 2008, 06:50:13 pm »
Out of interest, does everyone here who supports an NFL team also follow a College team?

Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4030 on: February 8, 2008, 07:18:02 pm »
Out of interest, does everyone here who supports an NFL team also follow a College team?

Logically I look out for Boston College, being a Pats fan.

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Sounders til I die! www.weareecs.com
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #4031 on: February 8, 2008, 07:30:56 pm »
I am a Seattle Seahawks Fan and I graduated from The University of Washington.
The bluest skies you’ve ever seen are in Seattle- And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle-
Like a beautiful child, growing up, free an’ wild- Full of hopes an’ full of fears, full of laughter, full of tears-
Full of dreams to last the years, in Seattle- in Seattle!

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4032 on: February 8, 2008, 07:34:15 pm »
Logically I look out for Boston College, being a Pats fan.

What do you make of Ryan then? A good pro at the next level or just the best of a mediocre bunch this year?

From what I have read, the BC tackle is an excellent prospect (forgot his name now)

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #4033 on: February 8, 2008, 07:34:17 pm »
If I had to pick one it would be Penn State as my brother went to Pennsylvania to coach 'soccer' for about 6 months. Also why he follows the Steelers (I've stuck with my Packers nonetheless).
@_michaelgill

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4034 on: February 8, 2008, 07:43:09 pm »
What do you make of Ryan then? A good pro at the next level or just the best of a mediocre bunch this year?

From what I have read, the BC tackle is an excellent prospect (forgot his name now)

Top player for me, seems to have it all, and is athletic too so he can rush for decent yardage. Guaranteed to go in the top 5, and I presume the Phin's will take him.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4035 on: February 9, 2008, 03:32:04 am »
Top player for me, seems to have it all, and is athletic too so he can rush for decent yardage. Guaranteed to go in the top 5, and I presume the Phin's will take him.

You might be right - but Joe Flacco, out of all the players under centre in the draft, has the most upside. I wouldn't be surprised to see Parcells go defense with the first pick because I think any QB taken in the top 5 in this draft is a reach.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4036 on: February 9, 2008, 06:04:16 am »

Godster Cherilus (sp?) ..... probably a high second rounder.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #4037 on: February 9, 2008, 03:04:16 pm »

Yes, connections via the girlfriend to THE Ohio State University.
DAMMIT!

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4038 on: February 10, 2008, 02:30:23 am »
Looks as if Washington have just made Jim Zorn their new head coach in a real stunner. I don't understand this decision but as I hate that team, its ok with me.

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4039 on: February 10, 2008, 01:40:40 pm »
Looks as if Washington have just made Jim Zorn their new head coach in a real stunner. I don't understand this decision but as I hate that team, its ok with me.

odd one that and does come as a surprise. He was Hasselbeck's QB coach in Seattle and wasn't even a co-ordinator until Washington came a calling. I would think they would have demanded a candidate with experience. Can't see Zorn doing anything in what is the hardest division in the NFC