Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2807906 times)

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
Re: The NFL Thread...
« Reply #1440 on: December 25, 2006, 01:25:50 am »
as a bit of discussion, which 'rookie' qb has had the best season...and which one has the best future? i say 'rookie' for the obvious choices available!

2 fantastic late games, cincy muff an pat to lose 24-23 and even got flagged for offside afer recovering the onside kick, while rivers struggles all game and then throws a td with 29secs to win it for SD.
For some reason I think Cutler of Denver will have the best career of the first year guys. Right about now I'm also wondering if the Giants regret not holding on to Philip Rivers because its not really working out for Eli who is really struggling.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #1441 on: December 25, 2006, 01:28:14 am »
He does look very composed at the moment, but did only join halfway through the season, rivers production has dropped off recently but his season though its hard to look past the impact of young. eli always blows very hot and cold.

and he's probably ruined my chances of winning the rawk fantasy football :(
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1442 on: December 25, 2006, 03:52:48 am »
as a bit of discussion, which 'rookie' qb has had the best season...and which one has the best future? i say 'rookie' for the obvious choices available!

2 fantastic late games, cincy muff an pat to lose 24-23 and even got flagged for offside afer recovering the onside kick, while rivers struggles all game and then throws a td with 29secs to win it for SD.

Although Young has been a breath of fresh air, I think Jay Cutler has the best chance at really becoming something in the game.  He's got a great coach, a good D to keep the pressure off, but most importantly an absolute cannon of an arm what looks like the right mentality to make it.

I also like Romo too, again he looks like he's got the intangables all the best QB's have, plus he has a very good receiving core and also the mobility to get out of the pocket and make a play.

Not sure about Rivers to be honest, he started like a house on fire this year and looked the part, in recent weeks though that Chargers outfit have been winning games in spite of him, not because of him, and although he's seemingly had a good game tonight, he needs to pick his game up and help that O out because you simply can't expect LT to run the ball 30-40 times and keep winning games for you.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1443 on: December 26, 2006, 01:16:00 am »
Gosh, the Eagles really miss McNabb don't they?  ;D

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #1444 on: December 26, 2006, 03:49:16 am »
Dolphins and Jets playing for a 0-0

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1445 on: December 26, 2006, 05:15:23 am »
Dolphins and Jets playing for a 0-0

J E T S! Jets Jets Jets!
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline SGTBabbel

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1446 on: December 26, 2006, 12:42:33 pm »
how did you all go about picking a team to follow?

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1447 on: December 26, 2006, 09:16:24 pm »
Right about now I'm also wondering if the Giants regret not holding on to Philip Rivers because its not really working out for Eli who is really struggling.

Bit of an understatement when you think of the deal -

Giants get Eli

Chargers get Rivers and draft picks which equate to Merriman and Kaeding.

Chargers saw them coming thats for sure. If his surname wasn't Manning...
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1448 on: December 26, 2006, 11:35:04 pm »

Well for me at least I went with the Pat's in 2002 because I liked the way they played. I liked Branch and Patten, and Brady was awesome. That was the first year I properly watched an NFL season, in years prior I had just seen the odd game here and there. They ended up winning the Superbowl that year, and of course now I look like a glory supporter, which is what most people assume all UK Pat's fans are. Thing is, I aint a one team guy in NFL really cos The Saints and Cowboys have always been teams I follow too.

Best thing is to watch how some teams play and do it based on playing style, or a player. For example I am sure loads of UK fans who got into NFL this year will follow the Chargers, cos LT is the most exciting player in the league. I am sure plenty of Liverpool fans from other countires picked Liverpool because of the way we played when they got into the sport, or down to a player or two. Of course there are also those who will have chosen to support us because we were winning things.

Another way to do it is to pick it out of a hat if you really can't decide.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 11:39:10 pm by Tom_B »
We're on our way to glory...

Offline SGTBabbel

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1449 on: December 26, 2006, 11:47:16 pm »
cheers tomB, i actually watched the New England @ Jacksonville game- Tom Brady was very good, and last nights Eagles and Cowboys game where Romo wasnt so good....

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #1450 on: December 27, 2006, 06:16:53 am »
Not sure about Rivers to be honest
I can see why you would say that but I'm not worried about Rivers. He's a first-year starter and is learning to deal with pressure that he didn't see earlier in the season. Once he learns to calm down in those situations he'll be just as effective as when he started off. The conditions for the Seattle game were very poor as well. Hasselbeck's completion percentage in wasn't all that much better than Rivers and he threw two interceptions.
Hasselbeck 17/37 for 189 yards, 6 sacks, 0, TD's, 2 Int's
Rivers 10/30 for 181, 1 sack, 2 touchdowns, 0 Int's
The sports media is so intent on crowning (to borrow a word from Denny Green) the next Aikman/Marino/Elway etc that they set these kids up for undue criticism if they don't consistently put up big numbers. Also, Rivers hasn't had the luxury of starting low-profile games like some of the other first-year starters. Nobody expected much out of Arizona or Tennessee at the beginning of the season but with the team that the Chargers have they were expected to at least make the playoffs regardless of who was taking the snaps.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1451 on: December 27, 2006, 02:25:55 pm »
Latest Superbowl predictions?

I can't see past the Chargers in the AFC, and the Bears continue to look strong in the NFC, but if my Saints meet them in the Championship game, I will look forward to seeing their much-vaunted defense up against our nicely balanced offense. Personally, I can see the Saints getting to Miami and being stuffed by San Diego. But then there is the small matter of the Baltimore Ravens...
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #1452 on: December 27, 2006, 03:57:06 pm »

I can't see past the Chargers in the AFC, and the Bears continue to look strong in the NFC, but if my Saints meet them in the Championship game, I will look forward to seeing their much-vaunted defense up against our nicely balanced offense. Personally, I can see the Saints getting to Miami and being stuffed by San Diego. But then there is the small matter of the Baltimore Ravens...

I just can't choose! I'll admit to not being the most knowledgable, I'm still learning the sport and really just enjoy watching games (and like the Fins...), but looking at the standings there look to be five or six who could win it. Most likely an AFC side as with keeping with recent history, although Dallas has the best NFC record against AFC sides...

Would like to see a Bears Pats Soup Bowl, but keep looking at Baltimore... glad I can't currently gamble, wouldn't know where to put my money.

Go Fins :)
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #1453 on: December 27, 2006, 05:30:55 pm »
baltimore just seem to have gotten on with it all year while people have been hyping up the colts/bolts/bears etc....but i just odnt see both no.1 seeds in the superbowl, and i think the bears might well be beaten, can't rely on turnovers and grossman just ain't cutting it.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1454 on: December 27, 2006, 06:36:01 pm »

I'm a fan from way back, late 80's early 90's, but never really associated with one particular team.  Didn't mind the Giants or the Lions back then, and I worshipped a few of the Cowboys players from the mid 90's, but I couldn't stand all the bullshit that came with the team.

I stopped watching the game for a long while and got back into it about 5 -6 years ago when I found a Superbowl match report in one of the papers (I think it was when the Rams won it), and sort of started getting interested.  Then when Bob Kraft's name popped up with regard to the takeover of LFC, I sort of tagged on to the Patriots.

Might be classed as glory hunting as they'd already won it twice, but I like to think it was more the fact that I could relate what the Pats organisation was all about to LFC (professional, hard working, and it being about the team, not one player or coach etc).  I've really got into following the Pats now, and although we won't win the SB this year, I'm loving every minute of it.
Believe.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1455 on: December 27, 2006, 06:44:51 pm »
Well for me at least I went with the Pat's in 2002 because I liked the way they played. I liked Branch and Patten, and Brady was awesome. That was the first year I properly watched an NFL season, in years prior I had just seen the odd game here and there. They ended up winning the Superbowl that year, and of course now I look like a glory supporter, which is what most people assume all UK Pat's fans are. Thing is, I aint a one team guy in NFL really cos The Saints and Cowboys have always been teams I follow too.

Totally agree.  Nice to see another Pats fan too ;)

Best thing is to watch how some teams play and do it based on playing style, or a player. For example I am sure loads of UK fans who got into NFL this year will follow the Chargers, cos LT is the most exciting player in the league. I am sure plenty of Liverpool fans from other countires picked Liverpool because of the way we played when they got into the sport, or down to a player or two. Of course there are also those who will have chosen to support us because we were winning things.

Another way to do it is to pick it out of a hat if you really can't decide.

Apart from the last bit I agree with that.

If you're not sure, as he says, watch a few games and see how you like teams to play.  Some teams prefer to run the ball, the Chargers, Steelers, Jaguars, Falcons, whilst some teams like to 'air it out', i.e have the quarterback pass it, which I prefer as I think it's how the game should be played, teams like the Bengals, Colts, Pats, Jets, and even the Saints although they have a real two pronged attack in having a couple of fantastic running backs.

It depends what you want from the game really.
Believe.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1456 on: December 27, 2006, 06:52:06 pm »

I honestly think the Ravens would stop the Chargers should the face each other, they've done it once this season already.  I really like the look of the Ravens for a few reasons, they've got an amazing D, both pass and rush, they've got a very very savy, playoff experienced QB, and they've also got a very good set of receivers, tight ends and good looking runnning back.  If those two were to meet, my money would be on the Ravens.

As for the NFC, it has to be the Bears.  Granted Grossman looks like a haunted man right now, but they've proven time and again they can win without him playing well.  We all know about their D, but they've got some very good receivers and 2 excellent RB's.  Grossman doesn't need Manning-like numbers to win games with those tools at his disposal and that D backing him up.  I'd love to see either the Cowboys or the Saints turn them over, but it won't happen IMO.
Believe.

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #1457 on: December 27, 2006, 07:04:56 pm »
You never know what will happen come playoff time. I obviously like the Chargers, especially if they win on Sunday and secure home-field throughout the playoffs but the Ravens look like a team that could beat anyone on their day. I also don't like the idea of possibly playing Denver a 3rd time and the Patriots always have a chance once they're in the playoffs. I think it's a toss-up in the NFC between the Bears, Cowboys and Saints. The Eagles are on a pretty good run right now but I wouldn't expect them to beat any of those three teams.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1458 on: December 27, 2006, 10:05:50 pm »
Hierro, don't count out your Pats from winning it all this year. I'm dead certain the Super Bowl winner will be from the AFC for one thing. In Belichick and Brady they have the best one-two punch in the entire league. Schottenheimer of San Diego still hasn't proven he can get it done in the post season as his 5-12 record might indicate. QB Rivers is basically a first year player which might hurt in the pressure-packed post season. We'll see.

Incidentally, everyone and his brother had the Colts pegged last year to win it all and look what happened to them. Either way it'll be exciting and I hope New England gets it done.

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #1459 on: December 27, 2006, 10:10:26 pm »

This might help

http://playoffs.nfl.com/bandwagon/

Oh and if I may brag for a minute, here are the last couple of plays of the Chargers/Seahawks game set to some very dramatic background music.

http://www.dailymotion.com/tj21/video/1442448

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 10:22:39 pm by chink »

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #1460 on: December 27, 2006, 10:24:48 pm »
Well,
Well, you usually go with the team that is in your locality.

Or where your college buddies go on to play in the NFL.  Or which team appears most on national TV. As someone else suggested, you end up liking players and follow their teams.

I, however, got tired of seeing The Pats winning it so often (3 in 4 years is often enough, believe me.)  Many outside Texas have an aversion to The Cowboys, who are proclaimed (self-procalimed) America's Team..  I however do like Bill PArcells who did take The Pats to the Superbowl and lost.  I have a suspicion many people outside NYC and New Jersey also don't like The Giants.  Anyone in Boston will look at any NYC team as a rival (a bit like Liverpool and London. Here think Pats-Giants, Celtics-Knicks, and most importantly, Red Sox - Yankees).

Oh yeah, Bill Belichick is the Benitez of American Football in the way he approaches the games, and in preparation, perusing stats and studying videos.  Only difference is Benitez is a sharp dresser while Belichick isn't.  Brady is a kid who is not interested in doing commercials, magazine front pages and such bollocks.  After 3 Superbowls, this kid still works on his throwing mechanism!  He says all he cares about is Football and trains like a true Pro (think Keegan at Liverpool) - after 3 Rings!!!!

Rodney Harrison is back.  I am not 100% about the linebackers though, and Teddy Bruschi did suffer a stroke a little while back.  So I don't know to be honest.  The more balanced team is the Ravens.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1461 on: December 28, 2006, 11:17:27 pm »
Hierro, don't count out your Pats from winning it all this year. I'm dead certain the Super Bowl winner will be from the AFC for one thing. In Belichick and Brady they have the best one-two punch in the entire league. Schottenheimer of San Diego still hasn't proven he can get it done in the post season as his 5-12 record might indicate. QB Rivers is basically a first year player which might hurt in the pressure-packed post season. We'll see.

I saw a quote a bit back saying "If you have Bellichick on the sideline and Brady throwing the ball, you have a chance", now I do agree with that, but I still can't see us getting anywhere near the SB.  We'd struggle against the Ravens D and the last time we met the Chargers, LT killed us, not to mention Brady's record against the Broncos should we face them.

I'm really confident about our chances next year considering the receivers and O line will be a year older and a year wiser, plus we have two first round draft picks where hopefully we'll add a CB of quality and some youth into the LB core, maybe another RB and certainly another WR too, but I just think this year is too early for us.  And I do agree about the SB winner being from the AFC.

Incidentally, everyone and his brother had the Colts pegged last year to win it all and look what happened to them. Either way it'll be exciting and I hope New England gets it done.

Ahh, the Colts and the Playoffs, going hand in hand like Eric Cantona and humility.  Put them up against a 3-4 and they struggle, every time.  Problem is the number 18 throwing the ball seems to be able to drop the ball on a tuppence though.  The corporate whore.
Believe.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1462 on: December 28, 2006, 11:21:26 pm »
Well, Well, you usually go with the team that is in your locality.

Or where your college buddies go on to play in the NFL.  Or which team appears most on national TV. As someone else suggested, you end up liking players and follow their teams.

I, however, got tired of seeing The Pats winning it so often (3 in 4 years is often enough, believe me.)  Many outside Texas have an aversion to The Cowboys, who are proclaimed (self-procalimed) America's Team..  I however do like Bill PArcells who did take The Pats to the Superbowl and lost.  I have a suspicion many people outside NYC and New Jersey also don't like The Giants.  Anyone in Boston will look at any NYC team as a rival (a bit like Liverpool and London. Here think Pats-Giants, Celtics-Knicks, and most importantly, Red Sox - Yankees).

Oh yeah, Bill Belichick is the Benitez of American Football in the way he approaches the games, and in preparation, perusing stats and studying videos.  Only difference is Benitez is a sharp dresser while Belichick isn't.  Brady is a kid who is not interested in doing commercials, magazine front pages and such bollocks.  After 3 Superbowls, this kid still works on his throwing mechanism!  He says all he cares about is Football and trains like a true Pro (think Keegan at Liverpool) - after 3 Rings!!!!

Rodney Harrison is back.  I am not 100% about the linebackers though, and Teddy Bruschi did suffer a stroke a little while back.  So I don't know to be honest.  The more balanced team is the Ravens.

I like the Benitez/Bellichick comparison, and I think their personalities are very similar as well, not just the way they approach the game, both very dry, very guarded and very wity on the quiet.  Both family men as well.

Our LB core is struggling by the way since Seau broke his arm.  Vrabel's an excellent LB - but on the outside, not the inside, we're leaking yards against the run now, and I don't like it.  We need a big dominationg LB next year, or at least a proven run stuffing LB on FA.
Believe.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1463 on: December 29, 2006, 12:24:23 am »
I saw a quote a bit back saying "If you have Bellichick on the sideline and Brady throwing the ball, you have a chance", now I do agree with that, but I still can't see us getting anywhere near the SB.  We'd struggle against the Ravens D and the last time we met the Chargers, LT killed us, not to mention Brady's record against the Broncos should we face them.

I'm really confident about our chances next year considering the receivers and O line will be a year older and a year wiser, plus we have two first round draft picks where hopefully we'll add a CB of quality and some youth into the LB core, maybe another RB and certainly another WR too, but I just think this year is too early for us.  And I do agree about the SB winner being from the AFC.

Pretty much agree with that except I don't think the Bronco's are anywhere near the threat they have been in recent years. Would not fancy us against the Ravens though, at all. I think Ravens are a good tip to win it all, and they wont be even in the top 4 favourites by the time the playoffs start I wouldn't think.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1464 on: December 29, 2006, 12:34:51 pm »

Jets: working class team who are now many years without a title, compared to their rich, upper class cousins in the Gints who have WASP written all over them.  The Jets have history and character, unlike some other 'franchises' I could name; they are a real club with roots in possibly the biggest sporting market in the world in New York.

As a bonus for me they are also on the way up this season; they finally have the right coaching and management personnel to make it to a Super Bowl in the next 5 years. Many pundits said they would finish stone-motherless last this season, but it looks now as if they are going to make the playoffs. In all likely they won't get very far, but it's a huge improvement on last season, and an example of club unity that their crosstown, talent-laden rivals would do well to copy.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1465 on: December 29, 2006, 12:47:26 pm »
The Jets have history? Enlighten me, please.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1466 on: December 29, 2006, 12:47:50 pm »
Ahh, the Colts and the Playoffs, going hand in hand like Eric Cantona and humility.  Put them up against a 3-4 and they struggle, every time.  Problem is the number 18 throwing the ball seems to be able to drop the ball on a tuppence though.  The corporate whore.

Just a quick question to help with my gridiron education: would you typically play 4-3 against a run and then 3-4 againt an aerial play?

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1467 on: December 29, 2006, 12:55:43 pm »
The Jets have history? Enlighten me, please.

Compared to some of the newer franchises they do!

I'm not talking about titles: we only have the one big one and have Broadway Joe to thank for it, but the club itself has had more downs than ups, and I like that especially in a society like the USA's where sporting success is emphasised so much.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1468 on: December 29, 2006, 01:06:15 pm »
Just a quick question to help with my gridiron education: would you typically play 4-3 against a run and then 3-4 againt an aerial play?

Sounds good in theory, but the problem is is that the QB can call  on the field to change the play if he sees you lining up in a 'run' defense.

The 3-4 is good because it lets you disguise the defence; you give the opposition offense multiple looks or patterns and they can't work out what is coming at them next. The issue with the 3-4 is having the right players to play in that formation: generally you need 3 monsters up front and defensive backs with a great 'feel' for sniffing out where the ball is going to be.

I'm fairly certain that Haloti Ngata is a DT who plays for the Ravens in the 3-4 defence; it's his first year in the NFL and has been exceptional up front for the Ravens this year. He is a monster who is ideally suited to playing the 3-4, and I was hoping in some ways that he'd end up with the Jets after the draft, but it was not to be.  You need players of the size of Ngata to fill the 'gaps' in the frontline of your defense if you are playing a 3-4, and to play it with success.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1469 on: December 29, 2006, 01:13:28 pm »
The Jets' history wasn't helped by having one of the worst owners in modern history (IMO)  .  .  Leon Hess. This was the same guy who took it upon himself to fire a great football mind in Pete Carroll after just one season on the job. Hess then hand-picked his own guy, Rich Kotite who compiled a 4-28 record in two seasons making the entire organization the laughing stock of the league.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1470 on: December 29, 2006, 01:26:46 pm »
The Jets' history wasn't helped by having one of the worst owners in modern history (IMO)  .  .  Leon Hess. This was the same guy who took it upon himself to fire a great football mind in Pete Carroll after just one season on the job. Hess then hand-picked his own guy, Rich Kotite who compiled a 4-28 record in two seasons making the entire organization the laughing stock of the league.

As far as Kotite goes, I think you've summed it up pretty well.

The Raiders of the present remind me of the Jets of the Kotite era.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1471 on: December 29, 2006, 01:30:32 pm »
Sounds good in theory, but the problem is is that the QB can call  on the field to change the play if he sees you lining up in a 'run' defense.

The 3-4 is good because it lets you disguise the defence; you give the opposition offense multiple looks or patterns and they can't work out what is coming at them next. The issue with the 3-4 is having the right players to play in that formation: generally you need 3 monsters up front and defensive backs with a great 'feel' for sniffing out where the ball is going to be.

I'm fairly certain that Haloti Ngata is a DT who plays for the Ravens in the 3-4 defence; it's his first year in the NFL and has been exceptional up front for the Ravens this year. He is a monster who is ideally suited to playing the 3-4, and I was hoping in some ways that he'd end up with the Jets after the draft, but it was not to be.  You need players of the size of Ngata to fill the 'gaps' in the frontline of your defense if you are playing a 3-4, and to play it with success.

Ah okay, that makes sense. Will also help my D when playing Madden!

Wikipedia has some good articles on football strategies, I've been reading more there but appreciate any other input. It is a fascinating sport with so much more depth than a lot give it credit for and the more I can learn the more I can appreciate the finer points.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1472 on: December 29, 2006, 01:46:45 pm »
Ah okay, that makes sense. Will also help my D when playing Madden!

Wikipedia has some good articles on football strategies, I've been reading more there but appreciate any other input. It is a fascinating sport with so much more depth than a lot give it credit for and the more I can learn the more I can appreciate the finer points.

I wouldn't call Haloti Ngata a 'finer point': I think he weighs near 330 lb, and is exceptionally strong and quick for his size. I think the Raven's coaches tell him to picture the ball as his lunch, and to do what he'd normally do to get to food.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1473 on: December 29, 2006, 02:28:38 pm »
I wouldn't call Haloti Ngata a 'finer point': I think he weighs near 330 lb, and is exceptionally strong and quick for his size. I think the Raven's coaches tell him to picture the ball as his lunch, and to do what he'd normally do to get to food.

;D

Would love to see how so-called Premiership hardmen would fare up against an athlete as monstrous as Ngata.

Offline kopkev

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1474 on: January 1, 2007, 12:07:38 am »
NFC all set,  chicago and new orleans get the bye while dallas visits seattle in one wild card and giants travel to philadelphia in the other wild card

AFC sandiego,baltimore,indianapolis and new england win their divisions and ny jets are wild card along with denver(if they beat the 49ers) or kansas city ( if denver loses)

Offline kopkev

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1475 on: January 1, 2007, 01:07:53 am »
denver lost, so indy will host kansas city and new england will play the ny jets, san diego and baltimore get the bye

Offline Tim-Cross

• The Banner's 5th Beatle - And a Tit (by order of Reeves and ChrisR)
  • Legacy Fan
  • beware of big birds.
« Reply #1476 on: January 1, 2007, 02:39:06 pm »
Denver star murdered in shooting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/american_football/6222695.stm

after the game.

Very sad news. RIP
"Well, Liverpool haven't done much for a very long time but they can still remember.  And last night, they remembered, and the force of their memories was strong enough to bring the past to life"

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #1477 on: January 1, 2007, 04:04:11 pm »
Ah no. That is sickening.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1478 on: January 1, 2007, 04:19:32 pm »
If I were a Chicago fan I'd have little reason to be optimistic other than having home field advantage throughout. Grossman is absolutely brutal and has regressed at an alarming rate. He's getting booed unmercifully by the home fans but then again that team has had quarterback issues for many many years now. Good thing they're in the much weaker NFC.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1479 on: January 1, 2007, 06:22:26 pm »
Well Mora is gone from the Falcon's. Not overly suprised. Vick gets another new coach to work with.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2007, 07:26:17 pm by Tom_B »