Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2823927 times)

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
Re: The NFL Thread...
« Reply #1560 on: January 11, 2007, 07:00:22 pm »
Repeats of Cowboys Seahawks and Giants Eagles have been on today (couldn't watch live due only one game being live on the weekend here).

What a game Seattle Dallas was! Pretty neutral towards both teams, couldn't help but feel for Romo though. Heard the announcer offer an excuse that it was the 'k-ball' being used, so not the ball, as a quarterback, he'd be used to. Did I mishear it or is there an alternative ball for kicking plays?

Eagles Giants was also enjoyable, just hoping there is a repeat of the Pats on tomorrow. Brady's performance sounds immense.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1561 on: January 11, 2007, 07:03:00 pm »
Repeats of Cowboys Seahawks and Giants Eagles have been on today (couldn't watch live due only one game being live on the weekend here).

What a game Seattle Dallas was! Pretty neutral towards both teams, couldn't help but feel for Romo though. Heard the announcer offer an excuse that it was the 'k-ball' being used, so not the ball, as a quarterback, he'd be used to. Did I mishear it or is there an alternative ball for kicking plays?

Eagles Giants was also enjoyable, just hoping there is a repeat of the Pats on tomorrow. Brady's performance sounds immense.

K-ball is like a fresh ball used for kicking plays yes. It hasn't been handled so will obviously be a lot slicker.

I thought what cost Romo a little bit was his nervousness when he made the run. I know hes a QB, but he should have gone all guns blazing heads into a tackle. I thought he got caught from behind because he was slightly aprehensive about making the dash over the last 2 yards. I could be wrong though, cos he was probably doing everything he could to make it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 07:08:03 pm by Tom_B »
We're on our way to glory...

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1562 on: January 11, 2007, 07:12:03 pm »
K-ball is like a fresh ball used for kicking plays yes. It hasn't been handled so will obviously be a lot slicker.

Ah, that makes sense.

I thought what cost Romo a little bit was his nervousness when he made the run. I know hes a QB, but he should have gone all guns blazing heads into a tackle. I thought he got caught from behind because he was slightly aprehensive about making the dash over the last 2 yards.

Besides missing out on a touchdown, he was inches from a first down, wasn't he? Boy, he must still be feeling sick as a dog.

Might avoid the results this weekend then watch the repeats as live. As said, both repeats were enjoyable even knowing the result, but Romo's mishap would have been even more spectacular with no prior knowledge and I am sure these play-offs still have a surprise or two to come!

Offline SteeleRED

• Crazy loudmouthed American who doesn't give a s*** what you think of him
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #1563 on: January 11, 2007, 07:17:48 pm »
I was wondering who will go where coaching wise?

Falcons - They have probably been a bit hasty in hiring Petrino who in my opinion has not been tested yet.  This one might backfire - Unless, of course, Falcons had their eye on Petrino for a long time and had been talking to him before the last Louisville game (very likely).  Still, there are better out there.

Cardinals - I hear Norm Chow has been interviewed.  It would be interesting to see how a quiet, unassuming 'chinese' fella do in this white male dominated league.  The Chow-Leinart combination has worked in the past.

Raiders - This team is doomed.  They would need a Bill Cowher to shake the dust.  So we have to wait another decade I guess.

Dolphins - I don't know.  But someone who can make Culpepper fire on all cylinders again.

Steelers - I don't know.  I have not been following them that much for quite some time now.

In addition, Coughlin mught be living on borrowed time. Parcells might call it a day, Joe Gibbs is a geriatric, etc...

Well, the Coughlin part of your quote is forgettable, as he's been extended another year...  ;D

Cowher can't sign with anyone until after the 2007 season, unless the team wanting him buys out his Steelers' deal, and compensates them with a (probably 1st round) draft pick. That won't happen. And if he goes anywhere, it will be to a team close to his home, I'd think. He's made such a big deal about "family time" in recent years, and now they live in North Carolina.

The Steelers candidates are OL coach Russ Grimm (finalist for Bears job; sought by Falcons and Cards); Off. Coordinator Ken Wisenhunt (sought by Cards, Falcons and Dolphins); Ron Rivera (the Bears' D coordinator); and Mike Tomlin (the Vikes' D coordinator). This will be a tough call. The Steelers have had only 2 coaches since 1969. Grimm and Wisenhunt appear to be the favorites, and both have strong ties to the community. But the other 2 hires came from outside the organization (though Cowher, at least, had local ties.)
Rivera coached the vaunted Bears' D and is Hispanic (the "Rooney Rule", that teams with coaching vacancies must interview at least 1 minority candidate, is named for Steelers owner Dan Rooney), and Tomlin is: 1) African-American , and 2) 34, the same age as Cowher when he was hired away from the Chiefs.
Pete Carroll made it pretty clear that he was only "exploring his options", but will most likely be staying at USC. So the 'Fins will have to continue their search. Wisenhunt would be a good hire for them, too.
Finally, the Cards' owners, the Bidwells, are like Doug Ellis was when he owned the Villans: notoriously cheap, and infamously inept. Anyone who goes there does so only for the money, because that is a coaching "black hole." As for the Raiders... the only situation worse than the Cards is working for a senile owner who wears awful white jump suits and whose football mind-set is in the 1960s AFL.  ;D Al Davis will have to die before the Raiders are play-off contenders again.
Football fan, yes, but fan of many other sports, too.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1564 on: January 11, 2007, 07:29:30 pm »
I wonder if we'll see Dean Pees linked with anywhere, there's a hell of a lot of former Pats assistants knocking about in the league or in college.  Hopefully not though, I don't think we could afford to lose another coordinator.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #1565 on: January 11, 2007, 08:11:34 pm »
Shockey is a bit of a prick, but he is a hard bastard, and a damn good tight end.

He's no Bavaro though ;)

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1566 on: January 11, 2007, 08:31:33 pm »
He's no Bavaro though ;)

Yeah he could sure carry a team.  ;)

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #1567 on: January 12, 2007, 02:08:29 am »
As for the Raiders... the only situation worse than the Cards is working for a senile owner who wears awful white jump suits and whose football mind-set is in the 1960s AFL.  ;D Al Davis will have to die before the Raiders are play-off contenders again.

:lmao Quote of the day!

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #1568 on: January 12, 2007, 10:40:40 pm »
Gmen to play the Dolphins in london next year...

Offline PortlandRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1569 on: January 12, 2007, 10:45:40 pm »
Just saw that on ESPN.  You should give it it's own thread.  I have no idea what the NFL is thinking.  It's a regular season game in London this fall.  Will it generate interest?  Maybe but probably only as a one-off curiosity imo.
"Winning is not a sometime thing" - Vince Lombardi

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1570 on: January 12, 2007, 10:59:01 pm »
I'll be there anyway

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1571 on: January 13, 2007, 08:43:24 am »
Just saw that on ESPN.  You should give it it's own thread.  I have no idea what the NFL is thinking.  It's a regular season game in London this fall.  Will it generate interest?  Maybe but probably only as a one-off curiosity imo.

I'd be very surprised if it didn't sell out in a short space of time. Just hope I can get a ticket, one of my close friends likes the Giants, I like the Phins, should be a good day :)

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1572 on: January 13, 2007, 01:15:28 pm »

The game will sell out in minutes, guaranteed.  The game is getting bigger and bigger over here by the day, and even a lot of old fans from the days of Channel 4's coverage seem to be coming back out of the woodwork.
Believe.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1573 on: January 13, 2007, 01:24:25 pm »
The game will sell out in minutes, guaranteed.  The game is getting bigger and bigger over here by the day, and even a lot of old fans from the days of Channel 4's coverage seem to be coming back out of the woodwork.

I'm hoping it's at Twickenham as there will be more potential for some tailgating pre-game. Fantastic stadium as well, even against the new Wembley.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1574 on: January 13, 2007, 01:25:08 pm »
I'm hoping it's at Twickenham as there will be more potential for some tailgating pre-game. Fantastic stadium as well, even against the new Wembley.

Agreed.
Believe.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1575 on: January 13, 2007, 02:57:24 pm »
I'd say it'll almost certainly be Wembley

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1576 on: January 13, 2007, 06:44:40 pm »
The scramble for tickets will be incredible. I'd absolutely love to go. I reckon they'll probably charge quite a lot of money for them - £60 or so for the cheapest ones.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #1577 on: January 13, 2007, 06:48:06 pm »
GO FINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm going i don't care! all excited now :D
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1578 on: January 14, 2007, 12:52:28 am »
Amazing stuff from that Colts D tonight, they shut a few people up, me included.  That's heart and determination right there.  And a certain HOF kicker as well.  So glad for AV although Peyton was pretty awful.  Again.  In the Playoffs.
Believe.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #1579 on: January 14, 2007, 01:17:00 am »
Everybody over here had Baltimore winning tonight. All the so-called experts including broadcasters and ex players got it wrong! I'm not a fan of either team but I'm delighted to see the Ravens out. That's quite a turnaround over the last couple of weeks for the much maligned Colts defense. They're looking excellent because Manning sure isn't.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1580 on: January 14, 2007, 01:29:03 am »
Everybody over here had Baltimore winning tonight. All the so-called experts including broadcasters and ex players got it wrong! I'm not a fan of either team but I'm delighted to see the Ravens out. That's quite a turnaround over the last couple of weeks for the much maligned Colts defense. They're looking excellent because Manning sure isn't.

Can you blame people for backing the Ravens though?  1st or 2nd in virtually every category in the defensive stats and also having a very good, experienced QB, a decent passing game and a decent RB.  Nobody thought the Colts would win the game like they did, nobody.
Believe.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1581 on: January 14, 2007, 03:15:24 am »
Nobody saw this one coming. But I can see how everything is possible this year in A. Football.  Even the Eagles winning the Superbowl.

The Colts defense is great. I would like to see if this is a typical Dungy defense, when I hav etime to analyze.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1582 on: January 14, 2007, 03:44:18 am »
Brian Schottenheimer is on the shortlist for the Miami job. He's 32 years of age and currently with the New York Jets as offensive coach.

Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1583 on: January 14, 2007, 04:23:49 am »
Eagles lost because they couldn't get the running game going

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1584 on: January 14, 2007, 10:11:29 am »

112 yards for Westy and they didn't get it going?  I also think a lot of people underestimtae the quality of the Saints D as well, they've pulled off some terrific performances this season, especially on the road.
Believe.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1585 on: January 14, 2007, 10:33:10 am »
Eagles lost because they couldn't complete on crucial 3rd downs in the last half. The NFC really is a poor cousin to the AFC.

The winner of the Super Bowl will be decided later today in the Pats/Chargers game.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #1586 on: January 14, 2007, 10:36:12 am »
The NFC really is a poor cousin to the AFC.

Funny how this changes over time. In the nineties the reverse was true and the NFC champs would invariably win the superbowl.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1587 on: January 14, 2007, 10:49:37 am »
Funny how this changes over time. In the nineties the reverse was true and the NFC champs would invariably win the superbowl.

Guess it's down to the draft (the changes over time where the weak are awarded over the strong), but also to the AFC fluking out in having some superb (comparitively) coaches, though maybe that's because the AFC coaches tend to last longer in their jobs than their NFC counterparts.

Actually, it probably is just a fluke; the AFC definitely have the better QB's: when you draft a player you really have no idea if in 5 years he's going to be a lemon or not, so in that sense it is a fluke.

The AFC players do tend to think of the NFC players as soft though, for whatever reason.

Offline applehead2k1

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1588 on: January 14, 2007, 12:34:41 pm »
Hey does anybody know where I can watch the Seahawks/Bears game online this Evening? I can watch the Pats/Chargers on tele but not the first game.

Any help much appreciated

Go Pats!!!

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1589 on: January 14, 2007, 12:43:45 pm »

Eagles lost because they punted on 4th and 15 with 2 minutes left, gifting the win to NO.

You may as well go for it and then if fail you still have the 2 timeouts and need a defensive stop. On the other hand you may make it like they did on 4th and 10.

Andy Reid hang your head in shame...
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline applehead2k1

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1590 on: January 14, 2007, 12:47:39 pm »
Eagles lost because they punted on 4th and 15 with 2 minutes left, gifting the win to NO.

You may as well go for it and then if fail you still have the 2 timeouts and need a defensive stop. On the other hand you may make it like they did on 4th and 10.

Agreed

Was a ridiculous decision. As you say what were the Eagles going to lose if they failed on 4th down other than territory.

Well done to the saints though. Starting to look like The Euro Cup for us 2 years ago with destiny playing a big part. If the Pats don't win it then i'd like to see the Saints do it. Purely for the romance of the whole thing

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1591 on: January 14, 2007, 01:03:51 pm »

Worst decision I have seen for quite a while. They knew that if they punted Saints could just take knee's to pretty much kill the clock.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1592 on: January 14, 2007, 04:11:09 pm »
The AFC players do tend to think of the NFC players as soft though, for whatever reason.

They won't be saying that after watching the Deuce last night. :D

Who dat?

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #1593 on: January 14, 2007, 04:16:25 pm »

Couldn't believe that decision. To work all season and then not back yourself to convert on 4th & 15 - at least if they'd failed it would have been from a positive decision.

Never die wondering...
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1594 on: January 14, 2007, 04:24:13 pm »

It was a strange one, especially after they'd just gone for it on 4th and 10 and completed a pass for 20+ yards, only to be brought back by the false start penalty. You'd think that having just done that, he'd have had the guts to go for it again with an extra 5 yards to get. Very strange. Still, I'm not complaining. Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1595 on: January 14, 2007, 05:06:50 pm »
Great Saints defense there. If the secondary steps up again, we have a contender cause these guys are still playing on emotion.  Two great running backs, a good quarterback (who will get picked in the next game(s), mind you), decent wide recievers.  What else do you want?

Let us what Rex Grossman is up tonight eh?

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1596 on: January 14, 2007, 06:48:35 pm »
:D Seahawks Bears is on live here. Huge play from Grossman puts Chicago a score up. Lively first half so far.

Offline kopkev

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1597 on: January 14, 2007, 07:17:25 pm »
come on seahawks, 2 min warning in first half  14-14

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1598 on: January 14, 2007, 07:26:19 pm »
It's a pretty good game so far. I'd quite like Seattle to win so the Saints have home field advantage next week, but I'm not really that bothered. Would be nice to beat the Bears at Soldier Field too. ;)

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1599 on: January 14, 2007, 07:27:01 pm »
Grossman is in usual hit and miss form tonight. The throw for the second TD was special though.

Bears defence looks shakier than normal.

And the Bears run it in for the TD after going for it on 4th. Very good play.