Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3524119 times)

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #58160 on: May 22, 2024, 03:59:16 pm »
Yeah I saw it at the pictures last week. Basically just Marty Scorsese talking about them and their career and films for two hours. Which is what you want really. Trying to find a decent blu ray boxed set of all (or as many as possible) of their films now. Seen all the obvious ones but would like to see them all now.

Powell is a fair bet for best British director to be honest. As ever, with these, you'd have to exclude Hitchcock but Powell has some belters.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58161 on: May 23, 2024, 05:28:05 pm »
Powell is a fair bet for best British director to be honest. As ever, with these, you'd have to exclude Hitchcock but Powell has some belters.

For me I'd consider David Lean to maybe be a slight bit better - Brief Encounter, Great Expectations, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago is a hell of a top 5 - but it is definitely close.  P&P just put out so so so many films, that they were bound to have a few great ones, but I think for me their consistency was marginally lower. 

Both of the Scott brothers (Tony I feel is underrated), Mike Leigh, Ken Russell could all be in the conversation.  For modern directors, I'd plumb for Chris Nolan and Edgar Wright.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #58162 on: May 24, 2024, 01:56:34 pm »
The most depressing thing with Netflix is complete lack of promotion for about 90% of the things they put on the platform. Apollo 10 1/2 just got dumped on there one Friday with zero fanfare.

They control what you see, and control how you see it. I hate it with a passion. Netflix is one of the worst things to happen to cinema / movie viewing. The 'search' function where it comes up with movies that aren't even on there either ... absolute twats.

Right, movies ...

If anyone hasn't seen American Animals, I highly recommend it. One of my favourite movies, brilliant mix of documentary and movie, and the clever way it's done it brilliant. Great soundtrack too.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Online Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58163 on: May 24, 2024, 04:45:40 pm »
New Planet of the Apes is great. I love these films. Really well thought out and written.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58164 on: May 24, 2024, 04:52:24 pm »
For me I'd consider David Lean to maybe be a slight bit better - Brief Encounter, Great Expectations, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago is a hell of a top 5 - but it is definitely close.  P&P just put out so so so many films, that they were bound to have a few great ones, but I think for me their consistency was marginally lower. 

Both of the Scott brothers (Tony I feel is underrated), Mike Leigh, Ken Russell could all be in the conversation.  For modern directors, I'd plumb for Chris Nolan and Edgar Wright.
Hitchcock for me by a mile, I don't think anyone's come near his volume of good and great films. Maybe Danny Boyle is the best modern director, he's probably got the greatest artistic range.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58165 on: May 24, 2024, 05:47:42 pm »
Hitchcock for me by a mile, I don't think anyone's come near his volume of good and great films. Maybe Danny Boyle is the best modern director, he's probably got the greatest artistic range.

Sorry, I thought it was a given (with what Wild Romany Boy had said) that outside of Hitchcock, the best British Director is/are ...

I like Danny Boyle, but don't love him - not a big fan of 28 Days/Weeks later (although that is mostly a "me" thing not liking horror in general), Trainspotting is a classic but the sequel is meh (I am going tomorrow night to see a 4k restoration of Transpotting), then there are a bunch of average films (A life less orginary,m strumpet, millions is ok, before he did Slumdog and 127 Hours.  Those 3 (Trainspotting, Slumdog and 127 Hours are the only 3 of his films I'd rate a 7 or higher); whereas Edgar Wright I have 5 of his 6 as being at least 8/10s (mainly as I still haven't seen Last Night in Soho); and Nolan at least 6 (Memento, Prestige, Inception, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Oppenheimer - Interstellar is a maybe) and I haven't seen Tenet.  So they are way above him at least for me, even if they have less "range"

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58166 on: May 24, 2024, 05:49:58 pm »
Absolutely loving the Light's commitment to showing the classics - saw Dr Strangelove and Princess Bride last week; this week will see Trainspotting tomorrow and then the Godfather Part 1 on Sunday.  Debating on going to see A Clockwork Orange in an hour, and maybe before Godfather at 3 seeing Goldfinger at 12 on the Sunday.  £15.99 a month for a membership that gets me unlimited visits, absolute bargain this year so far.

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58167 on: May 25, 2024, 01:10:46 pm »
Absolutely loving the Light's commitment to showing the classics - saw Dr Strangelove and Princess Bride last week; this week will see Trainspotting tomorrow and then the Godfather Part 1 on Sunday.  Debating on going to see A Clockwork Orange in an hour, and maybe before Godfather at 3 seeing Goldfinger at 12 on the Sunday.  £15.99 a month for a membership that gets me unlimited visits, absolute bargain this year so far.

Decided to go see Clockwork Orange in the end.  Forgot how cool the opening would be on a cinema screen with a decent sound system.  Seeing Furiosa shortly, and then Trainspotting. 

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58168 on: May 25, 2024, 09:16:52 pm »
Saw Furiosa today, just an amazing piece of film making with some fantastic action set pieces.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58169 on: May 26, 2024, 02:26:15 am »

Did Hitchcock ever make a bad film ? He made like 50 odd and even his lesser work is still watchable.  If you go from the mid-30s when he kinda hit his groove, it's just ridiculous, basically a quality film a year.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58170 on: May 26, 2024, 04:50:12 am »
Just finished 'Leave the World Behind' and 'Civil War'. Really enjoyed Julia Roberts and Kirsten Dunst stepping out of their usual genres.

Both films definitely hit the mark with the upcoming US elections.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #58171 on: May 26, 2024, 08:20:26 am »
So.. four films I've seen in the last week

Back to Black

Kind of OK. Think the damage that her family and husband/boyfriend was glossed over. They made it as a trashy media film. I would have liked it to have been about her passion and music. So 2/10

Furisoa

Decent enough action stuff and a decent story 4/10

IF

A delightful - but creepy at the start before you understand what's going on kids film. Really nice and a good story. 7/10

Garfield

I have just lost my cat after 17 years :(  This film was perfection in showing cats. Had a great story and a great cast. The animation truly did justice to Jim Davisons creation - he was a producer - and I've been a fan since his cartoons came out. Was really, really sad after the film about my little cat, but it's good to get those emotions out. 9/10
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58172 on: May 27, 2024, 12:16:20 am »
mmmmmhh?

Saw Furiosa today, just an amazing piece of film making with some fantastic action set pieces.

Furisoa

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58173 on: May 27, 2024, 04:47:38 am »
Anatomy of a Fall is one serious piece of work. Sandra Hüller is outstanding in the lead role. At times she's vacantly tense. Small cast with the prosecutor (Antoine Reinartz) a complete and utter bastard.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #58174 on: May 27, 2024, 06:54:46 am »
20 mins shorter would be better!

And I like The Fall Guy, it's good, undemanding fun.

I agree with this.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58175 on: May 27, 2024, 11:33:35 am »
not long back from an extended holiday and suddenly there's a load of films out that I want to see, i'm almost up against it to catch them before they go!

there's Furiosa, Hit Man (on one of those shitty short netflix releases) and La Chimera,

Also sort of want to see the new Planet of the apes or the Fall Guy (but won't lose any sleep over them at least). And there's a local showing of No Country for Old Men which will always tempt me.

glad I caught Challengers and Love Lies Bleeding before I went! enjoyed them both a lot

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58176 on: May 27, 2024, 04:07:12 pm »
I started reading Andys reviews in voice of Mr Plinkett.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58177 on: May 27, 2024, 04:24:53 pm »
Furiosa was great fun for a bank holiday afternoon! Wasn't expecting it to be so good - thought it would be a step below Fury Road but it's not, just slightly different format

Online Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58178 on: May 27, 2024, 04:34:01 pm »
So.. four films I've seen in the last week

Back to Black

Kind of OK. Think the damage that her family and husband/boyfriend was glossed over. They made it as a trashy media film. I would have liked it to have been about her passion and music. So 2/10

"Kind of OK"

"2/10"

???

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #58179 on: May 27, 2024, 05:14:56 pm »
Did Hitchcock ever make a bad film ? He made like 50 odd and even his lesser work is still watchable.  If you go from the mid-30s when he kinda hit his groove, it's just ridiculous, basically a quality film a year.
The Birds - a right load of absolute shite imo.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58180 on: May 27, 2024, 07:35:57 pm »
Furiosa was excellent and one of the best films I've ever seen - 3/10.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #58181 on: May 27, 2024, 08:30:45 pm »
Furiosa was excellent and one of the best films I've ever seen - 3/10.

;D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58182 on: May 27, 2024, 09:32:25 pm »
The Fall Guy - Excellent, does everything it tries to do really well and Gosling is great.
Civil War - Fantastic, really tense all the way through.
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire - Decent if a bit weirdly paced.
Boy Kills World - Some interesting violence but one of those movies that tries too hard to be stylish.
Godzilla X Kong - Meh.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58183 on: May 28, 2024, 12:43:31 am »
Any other horror fans out there buzzing for Longlegs? The marketing on this has been sensational. Looks like a modern Silence of the Lambs, with a bit more occulty creepiness. Cage could make or break this though  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG7wOTE8NhE
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58184 on: May 28, 2024, 06:05:12 am »
Any other horror fans out there buzzing for Longlegs? The marketing on this has been sensational. Looks like a modern Silence of the Lambs, with a bit more occulty creepiness. Cage could make or break this though  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG7wOTE8NhE

I'll watch anything with Maika Monroe, she's fantastic, but I've found Oz Perkins (son of Anthony Perkins) output hit and miss so far.

Offline Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58185 on: May 28, 2024, 12:13:08 pm »
I'll watch anything with Maika Monroe, she's fantastic, but I've found Oz Perkins (son of Anthony Perkins) output hit and miss so far.

That's something I've heard a fair bit of. I haven't seen much of his, but thought Blackcoat's daughter was pretty good. Underrated.

In any case, this has captured my imagination. Fingers crossed it lives up to the marketing hype.

Offline Six Beardy

• Granby Half-Brick Dodger!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58186 on: May 29, 2024, 12:05:28 am »
Some old films I'd never seen before but watched recently and absolutley loved...

Fat City 1972
Smile 1975
Mikey and Nicky 1976

All classic slices of 70's Americana. They don't make films like that anymore, sadly.

Any recommendtions in a similar vein would be much appreciated.  :D

« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 01:34:59 am by Six Beardy »

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58187 on: May 29, 2024, 10:22:45 am »
Really enjoying Cineworld showing lots of old classics, on the big screen.

Blade Runner and Fight Club, to name a couple.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #58188 on: May 29, 2024, 01:54:43 pm »

Furisoa

What a weird score after the review ... like going 'Played well on the right, put some decent crosses in, generally was decent - 2 out of 10'  ;D
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #58189 on: May 29, 2024, 02:29:22 pm »
Some old films I'd never seen before but watched recently and absolutley loved...

Fat City 1972
Smile 1975
Mikey and Nicky 1976

All classic slices of 70's Americana. They don't make films like that anymore, sadly.

Any recommendtions in a similar vein would be much appreciated.  :D
Recently watched Night Moves (1975) with Gene Hackman and loved it. Five Easy Pieces (1970) is another great one that I think fits the bill.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58190 on: May 29, 2024, 02:35:47 pm »
Yeah, Night Moves is really good, albeit much more of a genre film, and Five Easy Pieces is excellent. Nashville is obviously the crown jewel of the genre, and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore is really good too, though both more widely seen than Six Beardy's.

Offline Six Beardy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58191 on: May 30, 2024, 12:27:28 am »

Thanks Lastrador and Sheer Magnetism for the recommendations - I've seen all those films but so long ago now and my memory for such things is so bad it'd be like watching them anew - so while I'm in 70's mood I'll give them all a go. All I can remember from Alice Doesnt Live Here is motel rooms, the young girl being a massive Mott The Hoople fan and Jeepster being on the soundtrack - which is enough for me to want to watch again.  ;D

Offline Six Beardy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58192 on: May 30, 2024, 12:33:26 am »

Monkey Man - action films are not my thing really so it wasn't what I was expecting. After an interminably long dreary fight scene in the bogs of a brothel followed by an interminably long car chase I gave up.

I'd give it 12 out of 10

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58193 on: May 30, 2024, 12:48:39 am »
I'd give it 12 out of 10

:)

The camera work spoilt Monkey Man for me. I had motion sickness coming out of the flicks.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58194 on: May 30, 2024, 01:04:00 am »
:)

The camera work spoilt Monkey Man for me. I had motion sickness coming out of the flicks.
Yeah same - it didn't do a good job of capturing what looked like they could have been well choreographed fights.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #58195 on: May 30, 2024, 12:59:47 pm »
Anatomy of a Fall is one serious piece of work. Sandra Hüller is outstanding in the lead role. At times she's vacantly tense. Small cast with the prosecutor (Antoine Reinartz) a complete and utter bastard.

I thought it was good as well. Well written and in relation to the actual mechanics of the fall, a very intelligent piece of work. Sometimes you don`t need to be overly dramatic and in this film it really works.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #58196 on: May 30, 2024, 11:10:18 pm »
Thought Furiosa was right up there with Fury Road.

Absolute 10/10

Offline Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58197 on: May 31, 2024, 10:05:38 am »
Thought Furiosa was right up there with Fury Road.

Absolute 10/10

So 6/10?

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #58198 on: May 31, 2024, 12:08:06 pm »
So 6/10?

Oh shit, bad typo, I meant -10/10 obviously.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58199 on: June 2, 2024, 03:59:30 pm »
I didn't even know they had made an Omen prequel, but there it was on Disney Plus when I was searching for something to download for watching on a flight.

I really enjoyed it, couple of scenes really did spook me out. Just don't think too deep about the original and enjoy it for what it is asca standalone movie.

Great to hear that music again as well.