Author Topic: who would be your 1st choice penalty taker?  (Read 59667 times)

Offline bclfc

• Legacy Fan
  • I think my F5 has gone weird
    • The Who Boys
Re: who would be your 1st choice penalty taker?
« Reply #480 on: February 22, 2012, 07:18:49 pm »
Gerrard, then Kuyt.  Easy.  They've proven they can take them under pressure.  That's what you want.  And they've earned that right.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:21:35 pm by bclfc »
"If people trust and love you, you will never walk alone." - Philippos

Quote from: shanklyboy on April  3, 2006, 12:04:44 AM

IF YOU'RE EVER SKINT ROMAN
          WE'VE GOT 5 EUROS

Offline inexorably red

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #481 on: February 22, 2012, 07:22:31 pm »
Gerrard,Adam,Kuyt,Bellamy,Carragher   id put them up against any other 5 out there
“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.”

Offline red_dub

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: February 22, 2012, 07:25:23 pm »
Why Kuyt so low? He's only had 1 pen saved in his entire time at the club, and even it was due to a good save. Seems odd?
5th peno taker is last before sudden death and the pessure is on, 5th has to be one of if not your best peno taker. think thats why he put kuyt 5th.
Gerrard for me
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

Bill Shankly

Offline Fellaini

• Anny Roader
  • They talk dead funny but they play dead great
« Reply #483 on: February 22, 2012, 07:34:30 pm »
Gerrard's easily our best pen taker. If he's not on the pitch I'd take Kuyt or Adam.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: February 22, 2012, 07:38:14 pm »
Gerrard, Kuyt, Bellamy, Adam - in that order

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #485 on: February 22, 2012, 07:41:36 pm »
Not trying to yank anyone's chain, Gerrard and Kuyt are obvious choices, but what do you think about an unusual choice - Agger? He's cool at least as the Fonz, he packs a good shot and I imagine it can be quite accurate too.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #486 on: February 22, 2012, 07:47:33 pm »
Not trying to yank anyone's chain, Gerrard and Kuyt are obvious choices, but what do you think about an unusual choice - Agger? He's cool at least as the Fonz, he packs a good shot and I imagine it can be quite accurate too.

May have a good shot, but it may all just be about power and no direction - Can't recall him taking one so i dont really know though
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: February 22, 2012, 08:03:06 pm »
Not the first to suggest him by far, so no need to justify.

As for accuracy, no need to imagine. Remember Chelsea SF at Anfield and a certain FK?
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: February 22, 2012, 08:20:25 pm »
I think if it came to a shootout Gerrard, Kuyt, Agger, Adam and maybe Glen Johnson would be good choices.

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: February 22, 2012, 08:25:08 pm »
Stevie, Dirk has always been reliable and I would have Carragher in there. That pen he scored against Birmingham years ago was unsaveable, great pen.

from memory , in that shoot out every pen scored was  a cracker. Top of either corner - i'm not sure if the players had only  been practicing pens for a month or something, but having been fairly crap during the game they really turned on the style in the pens  ;D

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: February 22, 2012, 08:54:18 pm »
Sidenote, I'm getting this tattoo'd on my back, what do you think?

Go for it, as long as your boyfriend doesn't mind the view.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #491 on: February 22, 2012, 09:01:06 pm »
Gerrard, Kuyt, Adam, Suarez (he won't f.ck about next time he takes a penalty), Bellamy (if he's still on) - if not Agger.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: February 27, 2012, 06:22:55 am »
So ermmm Adam hey...  :butt :duh

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:27:31 am by kcbworth »

Offline IndianaRed

• Aaarghhh!!!!... my eyes!!!!... my eyes!!!!..
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: February 27, 2012, 07:01:10 am »
So ermmm Adam hey...  :butt :duh

it was the highest of the high pressure situations.  i wouldn't take too much from that pen today.  he's been better at them in the past, and i'm sure will get better in the future.  that said my preference of penalty takers goes stevie, dirk, suarez, and adam.  bellamy might be in there too but i've not seen him take too many pens myself.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:12:37 am by IndianaRed »

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #494 on: February 27, 2012, 07:06:21 am »
Moral of the story, if Kuyt's on the pitch, Kuyt takes the penalty.

Offline TommyT1995

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • :)
« Reply #495 on: February 27, 2012, 07:54:33 am »

Amen. Never ever doubt the man again. Ever. Always putting the ball in a good spot regardless of situation.
Keep it simple.

Offline pewithree3

• Has a grumpy old female arse.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: February 27, 2012, 07:57:06 am »
Very pleasantly surprised with Downing`s penalty and Johnson`s.
Adams is a big no.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: February 27, 2012, 08:18:12 am »
Kuyt is the main pen man for me. Rarely misses if ever.

Offline kagij

• Main Stander
« Reply #498 on: February 27, 2012, 08:37:41 am »
Definitely. I'd like to see Johnson seriously considered to take them when Kuyt isn't on the pitch too. Was thinking all through extra time he'd be a great choice to take one of them and he delivered a beauty.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: February 27, 2012, 09:07:15 am »
Reina > Gerrard > Kuyt

Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: February 27, 2012, 09:14:40 am »
Thought Johnsons was going over, but sweetly smashed in.

Downings was great too, very pleased with that.

Kuyt is the man though. He's missed what, 1 pen in his whole time here?
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: February 27, 2012, 09:14:58 am »
It's answered after last night, the answer is there for all to see.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: February 27, 2012, 09:16:39 am »
Thought Johnsons was going over, but sweetly smashed in.

Downings was great too, very pleased with that.

Kuyt is the man though. He's missed what, 1 pen in his whole time here?

Yeah. This season against Everton is the only one he has missed wearing a red shirt.
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: February 27, 2012, 09:17:38 am »
Very pleasantly surprised with Downing`s penalty and Johnson`s.
Adams is a big no.
Spot on (no pun intended).

Woudl have been interesting to see if Agger got the nod had he stayed on as well. Must admit, Downing running up had me in sweats but he surprised me.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #504 on: February 27, 2012, 09:18:19 am »
Dirk
#JFT97

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #505 on: February 27, 2012, 09:18:48 am »
Kuyt is first choice for me. He replaced Hamman as the one I'm most relaxed about taking pens. I'm surprised so many say Gerrard, he's missed quite a few as well. But fair play on him, he always steps up when there's one to be taken.

Downing I knew wasn't too bad at them, Johnson's was an incredibly pleasant surprise. If they can do those on a regular basis, no reason why they shouldn't.

As for Adam, I was equally appalled by his, but until you're up there with on the pressure on your shoulders, you can't really criticise. Hopefully he gets some practice in :)
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: February 27, 2012, 09:21:33 am »
Kuyt is first choice for me. He replaced Hamman as the one I'm most relaxed about taking pens. I'm surprised so many say Gerrard, he's missed quite a few as well. But fair play on him, he always steps up when there's one to be taken.
Whilst I agree with the mantra "you really should score a penalty" you have to admit their keeper pulled off a top drawer save against Gerrard.

Offline -RedTilDead-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #507 on: February 27, 2012, 09:22:01 am »
Kuyt has nerves of steel. The only penalty I remember seeing him not score was against Everton and that was still a good penalty right in the corner,  brilliantly saved.

Gerrard's penalty yesterday was decent,  again a brilliant save.

Have been disappointed with Adam's efforts.  Although I didn't follow them closely I am sure he used to bang them in for Blackpool. Is it the extra pressure getting to him maybe?
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are." - Homer Simpson

Offline ActiveSloth

• Kopite
  • Brendan Rodgers, he shakes his own hand
« Reply #508 on: February 27, 2012, 09:25:03 am »
it was the highest of the high pressure situations.  i wouldn't take too much from that pen today.  he's been better at them in the past, and i'm sure will get better in the future.  that said my preference of penalty takers goes stevie, dirk, suarez, and adam.  bellamy might be in there too but i've not seen him take too many pens myself.

I honestly wouldnt want Suarez to take a penalty again for us. If it was in a game then I'd have Gerrard, Kuyt or Adam and if it was in a shoot out I'd have the same as last night.

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: February 27, 2012, 09:25:30 am »
Whilst I agree with the mantra "you really should score a penalty" you have to admit their keeper pulled off a top drawer save against Gerrard.

Nah, it was a great save. I just have memories of Gerrard missing them once in a while, and once or twice in rather crucial situations. I don't think he's particularly bad at them, just not particularly great either.

Suarez is one I'm rather surprised at, although I'm thinking maybe its just a crisis of confidence thing, he's been rather wasteful and his conversion rate isn't great at the moment.
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #510 on: February 27, 2012, 09:25:54 am »

It was a superb save, all our pens were decent, with one obvious exception.

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: February 27, 2012, 09:30:16 am »

Its terrible I know, but the first thing I did was look up a Youtube video of Beckham's vs Portugal to try and figure out whose was worse ;D I'm still not quite decided to be honest. The Beckham one is hilarious though, because the clip has the added comedy of cutting straight to Portugese fans who are dying of laughter.

Edit: I clean forgot about Beckham's effort vs Turkey. That clearly wins the contest. Adam has nothing on him.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:36:04 am by Valore »

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: February 27, 2012, 10:29:54 am »
The save against Stevie was no better than the save against Kuyt earlier in the season, and that was enough for some people to write Dirk off. Kuyt is immense from the spot, no doubt.

No idea what happened to Charlie Adam though... the things he did well at Blackpool seem to have deserted him?

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #513 on: February 27, 2012, 10:40:07 am »
Dirk. Always said that, always will say that. The man nearly always scores and certainly always hits the target from the spot. Some statistician came up with the stat that the miss at Goodison was the first in his career, despite him being a regular taker everywhere he played.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: February 27, 2012, 10:42:14 am »
Nah, it might still end up in the net.....once it re-enters the Earth's atmosphere.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: February 27, 2012, 10:45:25 am »
Its terrible I know, but the first thing I did was look up a Youtube video of Beckham's vs Portugal to try and figure out whose was worse ;D I'm still not quite decided to be honest. The Beckham one is hilarious though, because the clip has the added comedy of cutting straight to Portugese fans who are dying of laughter.

Edit: I clean forgot about Beckham's effort vs Turkey. That clearly wins the contest. Adam has nothing on him.
For sheer comedy value and the occasion, nothing and I repeat NOTHING beat's John Terry's slip in the Moscow mud. The waterworks flowing whilst sat on his arse was just the icing on the cake. I've never felt such schadenfreude even if it did ultimately mean those twats getting their third.

Offline flyingcod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Barry Davies: "It's the old, old story yet again."
« Reply #516 on: February 27, 2012, 10:51:43 am »
I've always wondered if players take a different penalty whether it is one in a normal match situation or one in a shoot out, the main difference being a chance of a follow up.  Most ex players say it is best just to "put your foot through it" ie go for power as there's always a chance it can come off the keeper and you/team mates scores with the follow up.

Obviously in a shoot out you have just the one kick to make sure. I think this affects some players who don't normally take pens.  Saying that Johnson's yesterday was one of the best I've seen in a long long time.  Reading Hamman's autobiog this morning I forgot how bad (not for us) Shevchenko's pen was back in 2005.  Long run up but no power at all.

fc
Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt - Bill Shankly

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: February 27, 2012, 10:53:37 am »
Shoot outs don't count.

Gerrard, kuyt, Adam.

Nothing has changed.

Offline Gerrard[LFC]

• Legacy Fan
  • We are all part of Liverpool-FC
« Reply #518 on: February 27, 2012, 10:54:42 am »
Adam couldnt handle the pressure and it was a Baggio, Beckam pen in the world cups.
He bang them in for Blackpool and its not the same. He was a big fish in small pond as long as team
pressure is concened.
Gerrard still should take them, then Kuyt, not confident about the rest of them.
If neither are on the field I fear for the worst if we do get a pen.
The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
MICHELANGELO

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: February 27, 2012, 10:58:20 am »
Still Gerrard and Kuyt.

I'm apprehensive about everyone else, although Bellamy seems a confident one.

Adam needs some practice. Thats 2 hes missed now I think.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....