Author Topic: European Cup Final - AC Milan vs. Liverpool - Build up here. D-day  (Read 48685 times)

Offline Code72

• Is a cunt
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom
I have to agree with Graeme that

Dudek

Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Traore

Garcia, Gerrard, Alonso, Riise

are certain starters.

The big question must be what formation we would use, I was surprised Hamann did not start today, cause if he is likely to start against AC Milan this would have been a perfect match to gain match fitness in, so the fact that Biscan played today may indicate that Biscan would be preferred in the final, this is pure speculations but think about it.

Another thing that is interesting is the mind games.

I think Rafa will start with both Cisse and Baros up front, I thought Rafa would use the Villa match to try it out, but he may already have started the mind games!!

If we had used both from the start today, it would have been a sign that he considered the option before the final!!
Because he did not, I think everybody will think it is certain Liverpool will start in a 4-2-3-1 formation in the final, and maybe thats Rafa`s plan!!
Get everybody to think that, and then start with Cisse and Baros up front and really have a go at the Milan defense from the start of the match!!

I would have done it like this, and since Rafa is a clever manager I`m sure he must be thinking in the same direction  ;)

I stand totally by my earlier predictions, I think Rafa will surprise a few with his selection for the final, but I dont think I will be included among those.  ;)

Offline baz

• Legacy Fan
Re: 'Rafa to partner Cisse with Kewell'
« Reply #401 on: May 24, 2005, 01:34:17 pm »
Whoever Rafa picks I'll be 100% behind him and happy.

Absolutely. Its nice for Rafa to have some decent 'possibilities' cos our Rafa likes his possibilities.

I think if its 4-5-1 then its Didi-Xabi-Stevie with JAR and Luis on the wings and Cisse upfront.

I think he'll want to use the likes of HK and Baros from the subs bench to exploit the tiredness of Milan. I think its a better change to bring HK on for JAR then the other way round. But i could be wrong.

If he does go for a 4-4-1-1 then i think HK may snatch the position behind Cisse with Xabi and Stevie in the middle.

The possibilities for this one are endless. If it was an absolutely attacking line up then you could go for 4-4-2 with HK and LG on the wings coming inwards. And Djib and Milan upfront. That would be an extremely attacking line up and it would show that we're going for the jugular. Although a 'possibility' i dont think its going to happen.

The limitations of our squad, especially in attack mean that one of the strikers will have to play suber-sub. I have a feeling that it'll be Milan. Up until now you would have expected Baros to start, but i think theres something about Djib and if he can get going he'll cause a lot of problems for the Milanese back four. Cisse hasnt really had his chance, but in him i really believe we have got something special and his tragic injury has really changed his outlook and attitude. Where once he would sulk, and moan at inaccurate passes, now he turns around and offers encouragement.

That doesnt detract from Milan, as he is a handful for any defence, and barring a spectacular and unbelievable save from Cech he would have got us an away goal. And he did have the brute strength to go for the ball in the home leg.

I am sure that a lot of nonsense in the press has been published to unsettle the team. It has happened so many times before key matches. I dont think he would really want to unsettle the team on the eve of the biggest match in 20 years in our history.

I think Rafa has got it spot on when he says that Shevchenko isnt his only  concern. There is quality throughout the Rossonerri team and we'll have to be on our guard.

It is so interesting to see if we'll go for a classic cat and mouse, or a PSV assault on the Milan brigade. Whichever, Rafa will have prepared his men to be able to change the style of play on the night if it should be required. I just cannot wait to see the team lineup, the tactics, the match itself, the individual battles, the Great War itself, and then at the end of a spectacular evening i just cannot wait to see us lift  that magical trophy....20 years too late.  So come on You Mighty Red Men, we really can do it. :) :scarf :champ

Offline baz

• Legacy Fan
:scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf
:scarf Come On You :scarf
:scarf  Mighty Reds  :scarf
 :scarf :scarf :champ  :champ  :champ  :champ  :champ :scarf :scarf   
[/b][/color][/size]

Offline gibber_blot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #403 on: May 24, 2005, 01:41:45 pm »
Rafa's got a dodgy knee, he shouldn't be partnering Cisse and Kewell.

:lmao

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
I,m ın an ınternetcafe rıght now ın Istanbul.

But hey...what am ı hearıng outsıde,?

YNWA at a very loud volume from the streets outsıde...

See ya later!

Brıng ıt on!!
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline baz

• Legacy Fan
I,m ın an ınternetcafe rıght now ın Istanbul.

But hey...what am ı hearıng outsıde,?

YNWA at a very loud volume from the streets outsıde...

See ya later!

Brıng ıt on!!

Youre so lucky man :)

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: May 24, 2005, 01:51:09 pm »
Rafa Benitez is planning to deploy Harry Kewell in a withdrawn striker role behind Djibril Cissé in the Champions League final, according to reports.

The Guardian claims that Liverpool have been experimenting with the formation in training as an alternative to using a five-man midfield with skipper Stevie Gerrard in an advanced role against AC Milan on Wednesday night.

In view of Kewell's negligible contribution this season, compounded by an all-too public row with Benítez over the Aussie's continued fitness problems, the forward's inclusion would be a major shock.

Cisse, though, appears favourite to be given the task of leading Liverpool's attack ahead of Milan Baros in Istanbul.

The Czech forward could be dropped for the game following revelations that his agent, Pavel Paska, has been in talks with other clubs over a move at the end of the season.

Baros told the Daily Mirror: "I have had several offers from other clubs and it is now the job of my agent Pavel to talk to them. We will listen to what is offered."

He added: "I am calm about my future and I can concentrate fully on the Champions League final. Maybe I will leave Anfield, maybe I will stay.

"But my main aim at the moment is that I can keep my place ahead of Cisse for the final against Milan, and I will do my best to make that happen."

Maybe Cisse and Kewell were training together because Baros and Gerard were training together on the other team? I still expect Cisse and Kewell to start on the bench - maybe our attack for the last 20 mins?
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline LadyLala

• Legacy Fan
  • la dee daa
    • lala's RED world
« Reply #407 on: May 24, 2005, 02:10:02 pm »
I've always thought that it would be Harry behind either Cisse or Baros. Thing is, either Rafa plays that 4-4-1-1 formation or it would just be 4-5-1 with Didi, Stevie and Xabi in the middle. And between the two, 4-4-1-1 is just slightly less defensive than 4-5-1. No way he would play 4-4-2, 'cause we've hardly played that during the entire CL campaign, and if we were to play 4-4-2, it'll be like each one of our player has to be up against one of theirs, and sorry to say, we'll end up losing that battle. I know a lot of people have doubts about Harry, and some also have doubts about Cisse, but I always believe that Rafa is in the best position to determine who plays as he knows how well they are doing during training.
I never know how I'm supposed to respond to "What's up?"

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
« Reply #408 on: May 24, 2005, 02:12:25 pm »
Why Kewell?

It is potentially a good idea, not only because of the surprise element, but also because we can exploit that area on the left where Cafu will venture forward. If not, Cafu will also be pegged back and be more wary, putting his forays to a minimum, which will minimise his threat to us. And of course, if Kewell is on song, his pace can be a factor. We can create a 2 v 1 situation on occasions with Kewell and Riise and drag their centre-backs out of position.

However, it could just be pre-match tricks. Even if the idea will not be put into place, it will still force Milan to worry more about us.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 02:14:32 pm by HIRA »
Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back; a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.
- Anais Nin

http://theliverbird.blogspot.com/

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
« Reply #409 on: May 24, 2005, 02:16:07 pm »
Maybe Cisse and Kewell were training together because Baros and Gerard were training together on the other team? I still expect Cisse and Kewell to start on the bench - maybe our attack for the last 20 mins?

That is what would be the normal scenario. It is what I would expect, why take risks with selection in a final? Go with what has worked before.

But sometimes the surprise element CAN work.
Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back; a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.
- Anais Nin

Offline Code72

• Is a cunt
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: May 24, 2005, 02:16:28 pm »
I wrote this in the build up thread, but I think it touches this one as well.

I have to agree with Graeme that

Dudek

Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Traore

Garcia, Gerrard, Alonso, Riise

are certain starters.

The big question must be what formation we would use, I was surprised Hamann did not start today, cause if he is likely to start against AC Milan this would have been a perfect match to gain match fitness in, so the fact that Biscan played today may indicate that Biscan would be preferred in the final, this is pure speculations but think about it.

Another thing that is interesting is the mind games.

I think Rafa will start with both Cisse and Baros up front, I thought Rafa would use the Villa match to try it out, but he may already have started the mind games!!

If we had used both from the start today, it would have been a sign that he considered the option before the final!!
Because he did not, I think everybody will think it is certain Liverpool will start in a 4-2-3-1 formation in the final, and maybe thats Rafa`s plan!!
Get everybody to think that, and then start with Cisse and Baros up front and really have a go at the Milan defense from the start of the match!!

I would have done it like this, and since Rafa is a clever manager I`m sure he must be thinking in the same direction 

The mind games has started, and I wont believe anything I hear until the team sheet is official, what happens in training in Istanbul means nothing, because AC Milan will have their people there, it is what has been happening at Melwood that matters. ;D

Offline Code72

• Is a cunt
  • Legacy Fan
Youre so lucky man :)

He is a lucky little bastard aint he, ;D but I know he has problems getting a ticket so he could have had more luck!!

I hope it will get sorted before the match, he is down there with 3 other mates of mine and neither of them have tickets.
I think they have got hold of one ticket, and hopefully they will get hold of another 3 befroe the match.

If anyone can help them feel free to send me a PMS :D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 02:23:08 pm by Code72 »

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
I think Baros will play. Hansen said all the reasons. Cisse would be a great sub for the last half-hour. But if Cisse starts, I certainly won't be complaining. I feel there are pros and cons to both.
- Anais Nin

Offline baz

• Legacy Fan
He is a lucky little bastard aint he, ;D but I know he has problems getting a ticket so he could have had more luck!!

I hope it will get sorted before the match, he is down there with 3 other mates of mine and neither of them have tickets.
I think they have got hold of one ticket, and hopefully they will get hold of another 3 befroe the match.

If anyone can help them feel free to send me a PMS :D

Good luck to your mates. Hope they have a crackng time in 'Bul, and most importantly i hope they help  bring back whats ours. Get in. :) :scarf :champ

Offline Curva Nord '77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: May 24, 2005, 02:47:22 pm »
I don't really care who plays as long as we win.

I do think though that we need to have players on the bench that can change things late on if needed.

Finals are about how wants it most on the night. Right now, I think that's US but Milan are a good team. Forget the semi performances against Eindhoven. This lot can PLAY.

We'll need to play at the top of our game, get the tactics spot on AND be lucky.

We can do it.

COME ON YOU RED MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #415 on: May 24, 2005, 02:48:57 pm »
This could be Harry's big moment, see what he's made of, hope he plays well and silences some critics...

Offline baz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: May 24, 2005, 02:56:32 pm »
I don't really care who plays as long as we win.

I do think though that we need to have players on the bench that can change things late on if needed.

Finals are about how wants it most on the night. Right now, I think that's US but Milan are a good team. Forget the semi performances against Eindhoven. This lot can PLAY.

We'll need to play at the top of our game, get the tactics spot on AND be lucky.

We can do it.

COME ON YOU RED MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. Now get in there the Mighty Reds.

Offline Skillz

• Kopite
« Reply #417 on: May 24, 2005, 03:10:43 pm »
My feeling is that since both HK and DC have come back from injury they have played well together. No doubt this has been noticed by Rafa. The fact that they are training together suggests to me they will be on the pitch together.

The question is whether that is from the start or as subs? I would guess that Hamann and Baros will start and depending on the state of the game at some stage Harry and Djib will come on for those two.

However we played much better against arsenel when they came on and rafa may want to do to Milan what we did to Juve and he may go for it. This is IMO unlikely.
Carra is Ours - So fuck off!!!

Offline SimonW

• Anny Roader
God I'm so nervous and its still only Tuesday. I may die of heart failure tomorrow!

Come on the mighty Reds!!!

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #419 on: May 24, 2005, 03:36:41 pm »
Baros - maybe you will stay, maybe you will go. Na. No maybe about ya muppet. You aint that good, now fuck off.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #420 on: May 24, 2005, 03:41:49 pm »
There is no doubt that AC are a very very strong side with World Class players and the experience of a very successful decade of dominance in the European football world. Rafa will not UNDERESTIMATE them and will plan the whole game right up to the end.
He needs the mightest of effort from all of them and the 1st half will be fiercely fought in midfield as each team tries to take the advantage in the game. The 4-5-1 is the only way to tackle such a game, and the 'fire' in Baros is best to be used in the 1st half, let him run his heart out and give the ir defence as hard a time as he can.
The last 30 minutes of the game is when the hardest of hard men will be tested. AC will use their vast experience to take control of the game and there is a good chance that some of our inexperienced (in such massive Euro games) players could be overcome. This is just the time to unleash our final lethal weapon - CISSE!

Let Rafa play who he thinks is mentally ready for the game - he's in it to WIN it!
Doubters to Believers

Offline Code72

• Is a cunt
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: May 24, 2005, 03:46:43 pm »
Baros - maybe you will stay, maybe you will go. Na. No maybe about ya muppet. You aint that good, now fuck off.
::)

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: May 24, 2005, 03:50:40 pm »
Roll your eyes all you like. He makes me laugh. Carrying on like he is as good as Gerrard. Sooner he leaves the better.

Mouthy blind alley runner.

Anyway Code, have you always been vain?

Offline Squidge

• Is it on Sky?...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: May 24, 2005, 03:51:28 pm »

rubbish he's a class player who works his bollocks off.

he has proven his talent at international level but unfortunatly is playing in a system that doesnt suit him.

in my opinion right player wrong club - we just dont play to his strengths. he'll probably go this year and i for one will be very sad to see him go - we wont find a striker willing to chase lost causes and run himself into the ground for the team as Milan has
Monkey monkey do

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: May 24, 2005, 03:54:14 pm »
Na, he aint. He is average. Class - my arse.

His strengths? What the fuck are they then? Cos it aint shooting and it aint linking up with team mates.

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: May 24, 2005, 03:56:57 pm »

well done, don't let the door hit you on the way out, and cut your hair...

Offline Squidge

• Is it on Sky?...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: May 24, 2005, 04:01:20 pm »

His strengths? What the fuck are they then? Cos it aint shooting and it aint linking up with team mates.

I dont know whats missing and i dont know why its gone wrong for him but noone scores as many goals as he does at international level without class.

he's worked hard for the club and at times has been treated pretty badly - carling cup final

you obviously think differently - hopefully you will have changed your mind after he has scored the winner tmrw night! (well heres hoping)

i just dont think now is the time to slag of any of our players - tmrw they could acheive the impossible and to do that they need everyone of us 100% behind them
Monkey monkey do

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: May 24, 2005, 04:03:53 pm »

i just dont think now is the time to slag of any of our players - tmrw they could acheive the impossible and to do that they need everyone of us 100% behind them

well i can agree with you there I guess, I think the comments are just comin out due to the articles about him leaving, but you're right, they are all stars tomorrow night.

Offline The dude abides

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: May 24, 2005, 04:06:44 pm »
I would be pretty surprised to see Harry starting the game.

Milan's weakness is defence.  Their strength is attack.  We will want to stiffle them in the middle and stop them feeding their frontline.  To do that, we will need to be very strong in the middle.  If we go with a regular 4 man midfield, with Big Engine in the centre of it, we will get overrun.   We need 5 men in midfield.  I canşt see Harry starting among those 5.

Offline Kop King

• Kopite
  • King Robbie
kewell doesn't deserve to start, let alone a game of this magnitude. just as he did not desrve to start the carling cup final.  :no
"I said at half time, if we score it could be different, and we did score, and it was different"

Offline Code72

• Is a cunt
  • Legacy Fan

His strengths are scoring goals, and create space for the midfielders so they can score goals, do you think it is a coincidence that Garcia, Gerrard and Riise has got the numbers they have this season? ???
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 04:13:33 pm by Code72 »

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
cisse has to start imo. an kewell on the bench - harsh to take the left off riise or the right off garcia after the seasons theyve had.

guarunteed, tomorrows team is:

Dudek

Traore
Hyypia
Carra
Finnan

Hammann
Gerrard
Alonso
Garcia
Riise

Cisse

why bother arguing about it when its perfectly obvious thats what its gonna be?
Momo Is Boss

Offline Code72

• Is a cunt
  • Legacy Fan
cisse has to start imo. an kewell on the bench - harsh to take the left off riise or the right off garcia after the seasons theyve had.

guarunteed, tomorrows team is:

Dudek

Traore
Hyypia
Carra
Finnan

Hammann
Gerrard
Alonso
Garcia
Riise

Cisse

why bother arguing about it when its perfectly obvious thats what its gonna be?

Just because of that, I dont think that is obvious at all, it depends on how you look at the match.

Offline Hattori Hanzo

• Thinks people playing with lego shouldn't throw stones.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

His strengths are scoring goals, and create space for the midfielders so they can score goals, do you think it is a coincidence that Garcia, Gerrard and Riise has got the numbers they have this season? ???

please, im with you on a lot of stuff but to suggest that is ridiculous,

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
"His strengths are scoring goals, and create space for the midfielders so they can score goals, do you think it is a coincidence that Garcia, Gerrard and Riise has got the numbers they have this season?"

Fucking hilarious. Code, it is simple as this. He has fuck all goals. Fuck all assists and Rafa likes one up front. So, bearing in mind he scores fuck all and lays fuck all goals on, do you really think he is the answer?

Cos my house says that Rafa dont.

Offline lukas

• Legacy Fan
Ive got to agree with adam rafa has played that formation in europe always and why would he change it when it has got us to the final, i mean i no cisse has only just come back into the picture but im pretty certain he will play as he has looked more dangerous and with baros moanin, his mentality isnt right  ;D
PSN:lr3487

Offline Code72

• Is a cunt
  • Legacy Fan
"His strengths are scoring goals, and create space for the midfielders so they can score goals, do you think it is a coincidence that Garcia, Gerrard and Riise has got the numbers they have this season?"

Fucking hilarious. Code, it is simple as this. He has fuck all goals. Fuck all assists and Rafa likes one up front. So, bearing in mind he scores fuck all and lays fuck all goals on, do you really think he is the answer?

Cos my house says that Rafa dont.

Baros is our top scorer, and if you take a look at Rafa`s teams from the past you will find out that the strikers dont score too many, but the midfielders always contributes with their share!!
I dont think this is a coincidence at all, I know Mista scored a lot of goals in one season, but how many did he score the year before and the year after? ???
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 04:28:52 pm by Code72 »

Offline Hattori Hanzo

• Thinks people playing with lego shouldn't throw stones.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Baros is our top scorer, and if you take a look at Rafa`s teams from the past you will find out that the strikers dont score too many, but the midfielders always contributes with their share!!
I dont think this is a coincident at all, I know Mista scored a lot of goals in one season, but how many did he score the year before and the year after?

one of our top scorers, joint top with a 'premiership first time' midfielder,
mista was top scorer im la liga the last time rafa won it - there is no excuse for the way milan has played, so often so poorly

out of the year before and the year after how many titles did they win? how many cups did they win? to say that rafa doesnt have high scoring strikers is pretty naive, rafa wants as many goals as he can get

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I know all about Rafa and his strikers and I agree his teams share the goals about but his one striker has to score more than that and furthermore must have more assists under his belt.

Bottom line, imo, Cisse as a lone striker will always score more than Baros as a lone striker as Baros just does not have the tools for the job.

Offline Code72

• Is a cunt
  • Legacy Fan
one of our top scorers, joint top with a 'premiership first time' midfielder,
mista was top scorer im la liga the last time rafa won it - there is no excuse for the way milan has played, so often so poorly

out of the year before and the year after how many titles did they win? how many cups did they win? to say that rafa doesnt have high scoring strikers is pretty naive, rafa wants as many goals as he can get

Off course Rafa wants all the goals he can get, but because of the system with only one striker, the strikers wont score as many as they would have if they had a partner up front!!
When Baros runs to the channels he create space for the midfielders, simple really.

In Rafa`s system the midfielders are supposed to score goals and that is the way we have seen things this season!!