Author Topic: British casualties in Iraq/Afghanistan etc.  (Read 295855 times)

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
Re: British casualties in Iraq/Afghanistan etc.
« Reply #1480 on: November 7, 2009, 08:49:18 am »
Rest in peace Scotty
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #1481 on: November 7, 2009, 01:35:52 pm »
RIP all.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #1482 on: November 7, 2009, 04:01:14 pm »
My daughter went to school with Steven Boote

RIP all
I know his Dad. That's him and Phillip Lawrence who was killed in July who I knew.
Terrible news.

RIP Steven.

RIP all..

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #1483 on: November 7, 2009, 11:34:22 pm »
RIP Scotty
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline cornish exile

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1484 on: November 8, 2009, 08:29:41 am »
breaking news,
a member of the rifles killed in explosion in afghanistan.

R I P
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" – -- Unknown

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1485 on: November 8, 2009, 09:04:27 am »
It is with sadness that the Ministry of Defence must announce that a soldier from 2nd Battalion, The Rifles, was killed in Afghanistan, yesterday, Saturday 7 November 2009.

The soldier, serving with 4th Battalion, The Rifles, was killed as a result of an explosion that happened near Sangin, in central Helmand Province, during the afternoon

Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel David Wakefield, said:

"It is my sad duty to inform you that a soldier from The Rifles was killed today in an explosion near Sangin, in Helmand Province. He died a soldier, doing his duty and among his fellow soldiers; he will not be forgotten."

Next of kin have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before further details are released.

Rest in peace Rifleman.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #1486 on: November 8, 2009, 01:18:46 pm »
RIP lads....
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1487 on: November 8, 2009, 01:55:31 pm »
Rest in peace Rifleman

Offline cornish exile

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1488 on: November 8, 2009, 04:49:44 pm »
another member of the rifles killed. just on SSN now.

RIP riflemen.
RIP ALL.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" – -- Unknown

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1489 on: November 8, 2009, 04:54:00 pm »
It is with sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a soldier from 4th Battalion, The Rifles, was killed in Afghanistan today, Sunday 8 November 2009.

The soldier, serving with the 3 Rifles Battle Group, died from injuries sustained in an explosion that happened near Sangin, in central Helmand Province, this morning.

"It is my sad duty to inform you that earlier today, the morning of Remembrance Sunday, a soldier from 3 Rifles Battle Group was killed as a result of an explosion near Sangin, in Helmand Province.

"One of our fellow soldiers, one of us, who we remembered this morning and who will not be forgotten."

Next of kin have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before further details are released.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1490 on: November 9, 2009, 06:40:03 pm »
It is with great regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Rifleman Philip Allen from 2nd Battalion The Rifles was killed in Afghanistan on Saturday, 7 November 2009.

Rifleman Allen was killed following the detonation of an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) near Sangin in central Helmand province.

Serving with 4th Battalion The Rifles in the 3 RIFLES Battle Group, Rifleman Allen had remained behind as continuity from a 2 RIFLES tour and was working with the Fire Support Group that was operating out of Forward Operating Base (FOB) Inkerman.

His platoon was conducting a routine reassurance and ground clearance patrol providing security for local Afghans.

Rifleman Philip Allen, 2 RIFLES

Rifleman Allen, aged 20, was born in Dorset. He attended school in Dorchester and joined the Army in spring 2009. He attended his Phase One and Two training at the Infantry Training Centre in Catterick and joined 2 RIFLES Battle Group in Sangin shortly after passing out from training. He has since been involved in numerous patrols in northern Sangin as a Rifleman within a Fire Support Group.

Rifleman Allen, known as Phil to family and friends, was a fit, robust and motivated young Rifleman, who had already impressed those who he worked with and for with his ability and enthusiasm. Although only at the start of his career, it was evident that he had a bright future ahead of him.

Rifleman Allen's mother, Karen Charman-Allen, said:

"I would like to thank all of the soldiers who have served with and knew Phil. He was proud to have been a soldier in 2 RIFLES and to have served on tour with them in Afghanistan."

Lieutenant Colonel Nick Kitson, Commanding Officer 3 RIFLES, said:

"Rifleman Philip Allen had been with the Battle Group for only a few short weeks but had already made a lasting impression. His youthful exuberance made him immediately likeable to those who he worked with and his ability made him a valued member of a tight knit team. A loyal friend, a committed Rifleman and a strong and capable soldier all made him a shining prospect for the future.

"His loss will reverberate throughout the RIFLES family but our loss cannot be measured against that of the family and loved ones from whom he has been so tragically taken. Our thoughts are with them at this most difficult of times."

Lieutenant Colonel Rob Thomson, Commanding Officer 2 RIFLES, said:

"Rifleman Philip Allen was top of the gang that joined straight from Infantry Training Centre, Catterick just three weeks before the end of the 2 RIFLES tour. He was desperate to stay on and get the medal and a day-sack of operational experience. Rifleman Allen was a front runner in this and was a dynamic, full on, tough Rifleman who made an immediate impact on all ranks in his Company. He had a huge appetite for soldiering, physically immense, and he had carried a big piece of electronic counter-measures equipment and all of the batteries for 48 hours on the last big Battle Group operation.

"He is sorely, sorely missed but we know that the loss is nothing compared to his family from whom he has been so tragically taken. They are front and centre of our thoughts and prayers."

Major Richard Streatfield, Officer Commanding A Company, 4 RIFLES, said:

"I have only known Rifleman Allen a few short weeks. I extend my deepest sympathy to his family and friends who had the privilege of knowing him far longer than I, and will feel his loss most deeply.

"He was one of a number of Riflemen from B Company 2 RIFLES fostered by my company to gain operational experience. He wanted the respect of his peers and the experience to back it up.

"I introduced myself to him when we took over and we sat and talked for a while. I was struck by his positive attitude and his desire to be part of the team.

"He seemed un-phased by being attached to my senior platoon, the Fire Support Group; it might have been the exuberance of youth. He was not short of exuberance. But his three weeks of Afghan experience was more than enough for him to be invaluable to them.

"Rifleman Phillip Allen was a man of great courage and fortitude. We are all too keenly aware of the threat we face here, but it takes a man of particular character to take his turn as lead man on patrol.

"Over the course of the last weeks Rifleman Allen has proved capable of that task innumerable times. There is no greater testament to the positive impact he has had, and the kind of man he was, than pain of the loss we now feel. He was the kind of Rifleman you want on your team."

Warrant Officer Class 2 Freddie Fryer, Fire Support Group Platoon Commander, said:

"Rifleman Allen's arrival in my platoon was a blessing. He had been operating with 2 RIFLES for three weeks in Forward Operating Base Inkerman, which was 3 weeks more Afghan experience than I had.

"It was clear from the start that his experience and positive attitude was nothing less than a massive bonus to my platoon in its early days on tour. Everything he did was to an amazing standard for a soldier so young.

"He was such an asset to the platoon that I did spend many days trying to 'nick' him from 2 RIFLES and I spent many hours trying to persuade him to stay for a full tour and come back to Bulford as a fully fledged member of my platoon. We have lost an outstanding Rifleman, a valued and close friend, a brother in Arms. Rifleman Allen will be sorely missed but never, never forgotten."

Corporal Gareth Williams, B Company 2 RIFLES Fire Support Group Commander said:

"Rifleman Allen was a dream new Rifleman. He came to my Fire Support Group on the last lap of the 2 RIFLES tour. He was straight on the money, fit, superbly keen and always going the extra mile for others. He was an ideal Rifleman, a joy to work with. He loved his job, was really keen to stay on and we will miss him very much."

Rifleman Andrew Mallett, Fire Support Group Platoon, said:

"My first memories of Phil Allen were when I met him in training at the Infantry Training Centre, Catterick. We were both in the same section and became good friends.

"He was a very talkative person and was always at hand if need be. He got the nickname 'Victor Meldrew' by the end of training as he did like to have a good moan about this and that. Phil will be remembered as being a bit of a poser whenever he came face to face with a camera. Phil was also one for impressions, taking the mickey out of anyone, regardless of rank.

"All said and done, Phil was a top soldier, he was extremely professional in all that he did. He will be truly missed."

Rifleman Liam McNulty , Fire Support Group Platoon, said:

"Phil was a very good mate and good work colleague; he was both mentally fit and physically determined. He died doing what he loved and was proud to be a Rifleman.

"He was a dedicated family man and always talked about his fiancée Kirsty, how he couldn't wait to get home to see her. He always spoke of how he would surprise his family by just turning up at Christmas after finishing his tour of Afghanistan.

"I went through basic training with Phil and he was a good team member, always on top of his admin, but sometimes we had to admit that we thought he was 60 years old, not 20, as he used to moan and groan! That's where his nickname 'Victor Meldrew' came from.

"He was a very keen reader - he must have owned every Chris Ryan and Andy McNab book going, and he was able to do an impression of anybody. We trained together every day in the gym at the Forward Operating Base. Phil loved to play football but it was a shame that he had two left feet and most of the time looked like was playing rugby!

"Phil was a proud soldier and one day wanted to join the Special Forces. A true friend."

Rifleman Ben Rook, Fire Support Group Platoon, said:

"The first day I met Phil Allen was back in February this year when he was a member of my section in Phase One training. He was a good lad and I remember him always being on the phone to his girlfriend.

"He never seemed to have any thing to say about football but one day came out with all the facts about the game and was an Arsenal supporter, and he was looking forward to watching England v Brazil and kept reminding us it was on!

"Phil loved his camera, loved taking snap shots, and he was gutted when it broke a few weeks ago. He even tried taking it apart and cleaning it with cocktail sticks to get the sand out of it - he was such a poser!

"Phil wasn't one for holding back on things if he had anything to moan about, he made sure we knew about it.

"He wasn't really one for reading until we went on a Battlefield tour, when he started to read and after that we couldn't get him to put the books down."

Secretary of State for Defence, Bob Ainsworth MP, said:

"I was very saddened to learn of the death of Rifleman Philip Allen, a young soldier who had achieved so much and impressed so many people during his brief time in the Army.

"His death cuts short what his commanders tell me would have been a successful career and very bright future in the Armed Forces. My thoughts and sympathies are with Rifleman Allen's family, friends and colleagues."

Rest in peace Phil

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #1491 on: November 9, 2009, 10:31:38 pm »
RIP Phil.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #1492 on: November 10, 2009, 09:45:21 am »
RIP Phil

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1493 on: November 10, 2009, 10:03:32 am »
RIP to all the fallen

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1494 on: November 10, 2009, 10:40:31 am »
I caught the back end of the report on ITV lunchtime news on Gordon Brown making spelling mistakes when writing to Mrs Janes, after her son was killed in Afghanistan.

They had a Tory MP on and I'm sure I heard him say " I was surprises the PM actually writes to these kids". I mean did anyone else see it,did I hear it right or what. Did he really say "These kids".

Did he really refare to Soldiers fighting for their country and risking their lives as "These kids".

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1495 on: November 10, 2009, 01:06:55 pm »
Rest in peace Phil

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1496 on: November 10, 2009, 04:02:13 pm »
It is with regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Rifleman Samuel John Bassett was killed in Afghanistan on Sunday 8 November 2009.

Rifleman Bassett, from 1 Platoon, A Company, 4th Battalion The Rifles, died in hospital following an Improvised Explosive Device explosion in the area of Sangin, Northern Helmand.

He was serving as part of the 3 RIFLES Battle Group. At the time, his Platoon were conducting routine patrolling in order to provide reassurance and security to the local population.

Rifleman Samuel John Bassett

Rifleman Samuel Bassett was born in Plymouth, Devon, on 27 September 1989. He completed military training at the Infantry Training Centre in Catterick before joining 4th Battalion The Rifles in Bulford in May this year.

He deployed as a Rifleman with A Company, 4 RIFLES, as part of the 3 RIFLES Battle Group, in October to the area around Northern Sangin.

Rifleman Bassett was a capable, bright and fun loving individual who was regarded as a real character by those with whom he worked. Young, fit and motivated, he undoubtedly had a bright future ahead of him and much to offer his Company and his Regiment.

Rifleman Bassett leaves his mother Coline, father Simon (who lives in Canada) and 18-year-old brother Jack.

Rifleman Bassett's mother, Coline Bassett, paid the following tribute:

"Samuel was not only my son, but Samuel and his brother Jack are my best friends. Samuel was a real character, always the joker, he will be so, so missed and loved forever - our proud little soldier. XXX

"During Samuel's last conversation with the Family he said he was 'having the time of his life' and even joked when he spoke to his Granddad whilst sitting on the roof watching the sun go down in Afghanistan, that he was also 'keeping his head down from the snipers.'"

Lieutenant Colonel Nick Kitson, Commanding Officer 3 RIFLES Battle Group, said:

"The loss of a Rifleman brimming with so much joie de vivre and potential is a painful blow to the Battle Group. Sam Bassett was indeed such a Rifleman. A man who steps up time and again to clear such dangerous ground for his friends to pass safely is truly one to be honoured.

"Those of us left here to continue in the work that he was doing will be strengthened by his example and shall revere his sacrifice and memory. The thoughts of the Battle Group are firmly with his Battalion, his friends and above all his family and loved ones."

Lieutenant Colonel Rupert Jones, Commanding Officer 4 RIFLES, said:

"Rifleman Sam Bassett had so much life ahead of him and has fallen before he had the opportunity to fulfil his true potential. Naturally quiet, he did not find the transition to Army life as easy as some, but he enjoyed his new role from the outset.

"Consistently thoughtful and considerate, he is remembered by those who went through basic training with him for always being there to help others. He was exceptionally proud to have passed out into The Rifles and on arrival in the battalion he quickly found a home in his new Platoon.

"Like so many of the best soldiers, he caused plenty of headaches in camp. Despite being a private man, he was a natural character and his zest for life and fun saw him in more than his share of scrapes, not least after following his passion for motocross, racing around camp in the middle of the day.

"However, over the last month the challenges of operations in Afghanistan had seen a remarkable transformation in him allowing him to grow in stature and mature. His strength of character came to the fore and his fellow Riflemen came to rely on him.

"He regularly volunteered to lead his Section, clearing the ground for others to follow. There is no lonelier job and it takes real character and courage, but Rifleman Bassett showed that he had these traits in spades.

"Rifleman Bassett was a young man and was really just getting into his stride. He was a proud Rifleman and he leaves a large hole in the ranks of his Platoon. His loss will be a devastating blow to his family and our thoughts are with them. The greatest testimony that we can all pay to him is to continue the task on which he died - his brother Riflemen salute him."

Major Richard Streatfeild, Officer Commanding A Company 4 RIFLES, said:

"Rifleman Bassett was a young Rifleman. He arrived in A Company after training six months ago. He was a youth about to become a man. I cannot pretend that he found the transition to service life easy.

"The rigours of service discipline were never his strong point. There were times when I wondered whether he had what it takes to soldier in Afghanistan. He proved me wrong. Entirely wrong.

"Over the course of pre-deployment training he became a professional soldier. He discovered a strength of character that he had not realised he possessed. In Afghanistan he transformed into a man before our very eyes.

"In the first week after we took over, in the dead of night, and over two kilometres of ditches and fields he and his platoon supported an Afghan operation to detain a key insurgent leader.

"The operation was extremely successful. He played an integral part in the success of that operation and can take a good deal of credit for making us all a little safer that night. We owe him a debt of gratitude.

"He never lost his sense of fun and his appearance as a 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle' at the company party will be an abiding memory. That and the lopsided grin and his West Country burr.

"We will feel his loss, we will remember him always, and honour that memory; but we cannot compare our loss to those who knew him best. On behalf of the whole Company and for my part I extend my deepest sympathy to his family and friends whose grief will be untold.

"Just as he found the strength of mind and body to soldier in Afghanistan, so we will honour his memory through our determination to complete the task before us."

Lieutenant Michael Holden, 1 Platoon Commander, said:

"Rifleman Bassett was a true Rifleman; in camp a nightmare, always up to no good. However in Afghanistan, a real professional, a master of his trade. When Rfn Bassett first joined the platoon in May of this year, he was thrown straight into pre-deployment training.

"It is full on with very little time to relax, and it is taxing on a young Rifleman and causes a lot of stress and hardship on family and friends. Throughout pre-deployment training he always gave us reasons for concern, he seemed to have the ability to be in the wrong place at the wrong time with, most certainly, the wrong kit.

"He became a unique test of his Platoon Serjeant's patience. Outside of work he definitely enjoyed his play, at home in Torpoint; either surfing or motocross, there was always something to amuse him.

"Rfn Bassett really came out of his shell, he was proud of his job and a true team player. He worked hard, continually developing his skills, thinking on his feet and taking on the task of clearing routes for the rest of his section and platoon.

"This takes immense skill, patience and most of all courage. Rfn Bassett had a great sense of humour always quick to try and outwit his fellow Riflemen. Every day in Afghanistan, Riflemen are asked to do things that require a lot of nerve.

"Rfn Bassett always stepped up to the challenge without a second thought. Through the ups and downs it has been my absolute privilege to have known him as well as command his platoon. My thoughts go out to his family and friends in this difficult time. He will always be in 1 platoon's hearts and mind, and he will be truly missed.

Warrant Officer Class 2 Pat Hyde, Company Serjeant Major A Company 4 Rifles, said:

"Always on the fringes of trouble within the Company just the way a Rifleman should be. Just before we deployed I received a phone call from an RSM: 'Why do I have a Rifleman Bassett from your company, riding a dirt bike at speed past the Brigade Commander's Office without a helmet or licence?' I had no answer, but just knew that Rfn Bassett was living life to the full. Rfn Bassett was one of the characters of the Company and will be missed by all that knew him."

Serjeant Ross Jones, Platoon Serjeant 1 Platoon said:

"I've known Rfn Bassett for just over six months and looking back now it is remarkable how much he had changed in such a short space of time.

"Rfn Bassett came to the platoon a very quiet and shy boy, but through his pre-deployment training and being with the close-knit platoon on operations in Afghanistan, he had transformed into a decent young man with a lot of character.

"Although it was still early days in his career and he wasn't perfect, he was always able to acknowledge his mistakes and learnt from them.

"His time in Afghanistan really changed him and he started to come into his own. He loved his section, his job and the demands that came with it.

"He volunteered on countless occasions to be point man with the mine detector, which is a very stressful and demanding position within the section and carries with it a lot of responsibility, not only because he wanted to be more proficient with it, but because he wanted to take his share of risk with the rest of his section.

"I will always remember Rfn Bassett as a quiet guy that gave me a few grey hairs at the beginning but he was a character and he leaves many friends within the platoon and within A Company, he will be sorely missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends and loved ones at this difficult time."

Lance Corporal Craig Knight said:

"Rfn Bassett was shining out here in Afghanistan and he was enjoying his job. In his own words: 'I am in my element out here, I love it'. He was very focused on his job. He developed a new hobby 'Op Massive'.

"He was going to the gym frequently; he was looking forward to going home to see his father in Canada. Rfn Bassett was a good soldier and played a vital role in the Section. He will be dearly missed; our thoughts are with his loved ones at home. Love from your second family."

Rifleman Charlie Foley said:

"Sam was a humble guy with a bubbly personality. He seemed to make everything a joke and cracked on. In the last few weeks our section has got close and we will be missing you and our thoughts are with your friends and family. He's now gone to a better place."

Rifleman Tom Spencer said:

"Sam Bassett was brilliant at his job over here, really professional and dedicated to his task. His sense of humour was really seen since deploying, he was a good bloke, an awesome bloke to have in our section. He had the mentality of work hard play hard, that every Rifleman should have. I am very proud to have been a Rifleman alongside him in 2 Section."

"The death of Rifleman Samuel Bassett came as very sad news to me. It is clear from those who knew and worked alongside him that he was devoted to the British Army and to the Rifles, and that his professionalism and his personality will be missed in equal measure.

"I hope it comes as some consolation to his family that he died doing a job he was dedicated to and loved but my deepest sympathies are, of course, with them at this painful time."

Rest in peace Sam

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #1497 on: November 10, 2009, 05:55:14 pm »
Rest in peace Steve.
Rest in peace Nick.
Rest in peace Matthew.
Rest in peace Darren.
Rest in peace James.
Rest in peace Scotty.
Rest in peace Phil.
Rest in Peace Sam.

Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline BSBW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #1498 on: November 11, 2009, 08:00:10 am »
RIP Sam

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1499 on: November 11, 2009, 10:46:34 am »
Rest in peace Sam

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1500 on: November 11, 2009, 12:58:22 pm »
Never been in this thread before.  Knew it was on here but just never felt the need/want to go in and read it.
Yeah, when I heard on the news that a soldier had died I felt sorry for them and their families but never gave it much more thought.
Just reading posts on here and especially seeing the pictures of the guys really brings it home for me.
Shocking waste of life.

Rest in Peace All.

Lest we forget.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1501 on: November 15, 2009, 05:24:53 pm »
It is with sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of a soldier from the 7th Battalion The Rifles, attached to the 3rd Battalion The Rifles battle group.

The soldier was killed as a result of small arms fire during a foot patrol near Sangin in central Helmand Province during the morning of 15 November 2009.

Spokesman for Task Force Helmand , Lieutenant Colonel David Wakefield OBE, said:

"It is my sad duty to inform you that this morning a British soldier from the 3 RIFLES Battle Group was shot and killed while on patrol in Helmand Province .

"He died in the course of his duty. He will be missed by us, his comrades, and we will remember him."

Rest in peace Rifleman

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1502 on: November 15, 2009, 09:11:27 pm »
Rest in peace Rifleman

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1503 on: November 16, 2009, 06:06:39 pm »
It is with sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a soldier from 33 Engineer Regiment, Royal Engineers, died as a result of an explosion near Gereshk, in Helmand province, during the afternoon of 15 November 2009.

The serviceman was part of the Counter-IED Task Force.

"It is my sad duty to confirm to you that a soldier from 33 Engineer Regiment, part of the Counter-IED Task Force, was killed by an explosion near Gereshk, in Helmand province, during the afternoon of 15 November 2009.

"His courage and the sacrifice made by him in the fight against improvised explosive devices in Helmand will not be forgotten."

Rest in peace Wedge

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1504 on: November 17, 2009, 10:02:56 am »
Rest in peace Wedge

One of our lads was working with the Counter-IED guys in Afghan, said they take a lot of casualties, but just carry on with the job. Brave as fuck.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1505 on: November 17, 2009, 10:31:15 am »
It is with sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of Rifleman Andrew Ian Fentiman from 7th Battalion The Rifles (7 RIFLES), attached to the 3 RIFLES Battle Group.

Rifleman Andrew Fentiman was killed as a result of small arms fire whilst on a foot patrol near Sangin in central Helmand province during the morning of 15 November 2009.

Rifleman Andrew Ian Fentiman

Rifleman Andrew Ian Fentiman was born in Cambridge on 29 July 1986. He joined 7 RIFLES as a Potential Officer in 2007 following two years at East Midlands Officer Training Corps. Having volunteered to serve with 3 RIFLES Battlegroup, he completed an assault pioneer course in May before being mobilised in June 2009.

Rifleman Fentiman attended training at the Reserves Training and Mobilisation Centre, in Chilwell before joining A Company 3 RIFLES during Pre-Deployment Training. He quickly proved his mettle, earning high praise from OPTAG training staff for his reactions during a demanding exercise in Norfolk.

In civilian life, he read Mechanical Engineering at the University of Leicester before becoming a regional sales manager for Team Studio Ltd, a software firm based in Huntingdon. He intended to return to his civilian job after he had completed his tour of duty.

Rifleman Fentiman was killed by enemy fire during a foot patrol in Sangin, Afghanistan. The patrol was tasked with interdicting enemy activity and reassuring local nationals. He leaves his parents, Kevin and Lynda, a brother, Adam and a sister, Elizabeth.

Lieutenant Colonel Nick Kitson, Commanding 3 RIFLES Battle Group, said:

"Rifleman Andrew Fentiman was one of the welcome volunteers from our Territorial Army brethren, in this case 7 RIFLES, who have answered the call to come out to Afghanistan with us. It was an honour and a great act of commitment that he chose to accompany us and share the burden.

"A real ambassador for the great British public that supports us so well, he was up for the challenge and gave of himself selflessly. A university graduate, he was something of a novelty to his platoon. Bright and enthusiastic he fitted in instantly. I have infinite respect for the commitment and sacrifice of this brave Rifleman who had so many opportunities ahead of him yet chose first to serve his country and his regiment. He was liked and respected by all and will be sorely missed as he now makes his way home to his family. Our thoughts are with them and all of his loved ones at this most difficult time."

Lieutenant Colonel Paul Uden, Commanding Officer 7 RIFLES, said:

"The loss of Rifleman Andrew Fentiman is a terrible shock to everyone in the Battalion. My thoughts and those of the entire Battalion, are very much with Rifleman Fentiman’s family at this dreadful time.

"He was a young man of 23 who played a full role as a TA infantryman, and was a popular and committed member of E Company, 7 RIFLES.

"I spoke to him before pre-deployment training about his hopes for the future and his desire to eventually commission. He went to Afghanistan to gain experience as a first step to achieving his goal of commissioning and I have no doubt that he would have made a very good Officer. He was keen, committed and determined to succeed."

Major Tim Harris, OC A Company 3 RIFLES, said of him:

"Rifleman Andrew Fentiman, or Fen as he was known to us, had been with A Company since June 2009. He joined us during our pre-deployment training in Kent and was instantly liked by all who met him. During our first conversation, it was obvious to me that here was a young man brimming with confidence and oozing with charm.

"Having studied at the University of Leicester he was naturally brighter than the average Rifleman, but he was quickly accepted as 'one of the boys' in 1 Platoon, who good-naturedly ribbed him for being 'posh' as they saw it. In reality, he had no airs or graces. He was prepared to endure the same privations and do the same job as everyone else – and that is why we loved him.

"He made an indelible mark on everyone in A Company; we could all see that he was a man with considerable potential. A volunteer, he was a walking advertisement for all that is fine about our Territorial Army – he signed up to serve his country and perhaps, to seek adventure. But he was a crucial and integral part of the team, I never saw him without a big smile on his face, and we are devastated that he is no longer with us. However, we know that our loss is nothing compared to the loss that will be felt by his family and friends, and I hope that in time they can find a crumb of comfort in the knowledge that he died with his friends around him doing a job he relished.

"Rifleman Fentiman will be sorely missed by A Company, but his loss will only serve to deepen our resolve to succeed in our mission. It will not be easy, but we will take inspiration from his courage. We will never forget his sacrifice."

Major Michael Scott-Hyde, OC E Company 7 RIFLES, said:

"Rifleman Andrew Fentiman was a highly committed member of E Company 7 RIFLES travelling a considerable distance to attend training and setting an example to his fellow Riflemen. His determined and friendly manner ensured that he was a popular member of the Company. His aspiration was to be commissioned, consequently he took every opportunity to develop himself as an infantry soldier in preparation for Potential Officer training and continuing that which he had started, whilst at East Midlands University Officer Training Corps.

"However, he believed that participation in an operational tour would enhance his suitability for Commissioning and he put his civilian career on hold to achieve this. He was so determined to deploy with 3 RIFLES that he completed a challenging Assault Pioneer cadre to ensure his acceptance.

"E Company has a notable record of operational service and we were proud of Andrew when he volunteered to continue that tradition and we are proud of him today. He will be sorely missed by all members of E Company. He was one of ours and he will never be forgotten.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all those who were close to him, his family, his friends and his fellow Riflemen.
"Swift and Bold"

Lieutenant Ben Heap, 7 RIFLES paid this tribute:

"A likeable young man who had made a clear decision that he wanted to complete an operational tour by committing to train as a Rifleman by giving up his job - on the face of it an unlikely character to become an infanteer, he was very focussed on serving in the army and worked hard to reach the standard required in order to deploy with 3 RIFLES.
"He had a kind, gentle and cheerful manner and showed great consideration for others in everything he did. He was obviously happiest most when working alongside his section in the most challenging of circumstances, while still remaining to be a source of morale in the face of adversity. He died alongside his friends doing a job he loved."

Second Lieutenant Connor Maxwell, 1 Platoon Commander, said:

"I can remember my first talk with Rifleman Fentiman. He was in a bad way after having a really good night out before joining us. This was him all over. Always up for a laugh, a cheery character who always remained upbeat, he simply made it easy for everyone to like him. Although he was not a regular soldier, I only ever saw him as one of us. He was always professional and was a true asset to the platoon. He paid the ultimate sacrifice doing something he loved. I have complete respect for him. My heart goes out to all of the loved ones he left behind."

Serjeant Steven Smith, 1 Platoon Serjeant, said:

"As a Platoon Serjeant, it was my responsibility to get people ready for the tour and even more so for the lads who joined so close before we came here. This included Fen, who had the extra pressure of coming in late and fitting in with the Platoon. From my point of view, it was easy with Fen, because of his enthusiasm and willingness to leave his job to come to Afghanistan with us. Even though Fen’s background was different from most, he was always eager to fit in, took all the banter a rifle Platoon dishes out and it did not take long for him to fit in. I have the utmost admiration for him."

Corporal Phillip Cree, Section Commander, said:

"Rifleman Fentiman had only been with me for around 5 months, after making the huge jump from being a civvie to a full time soldier on tour. He found the transition hard at first, but really started to just become one of the lads. He must have had a great passion for this job, after leaving his office chat to be with us. He was always upbeat and provided good morale for the blokes. So long Fen, you will be missed."

Lance Corporal Mathew Davies, Section Second in Command added:

"To come to Afghanistan as a soldier takes courage, to volunteer takes more so. A constant source of morale for the lads, with his cheerful and unique demeanour. He will be sorely missed."

Rifleman Connor McDarby said:

"Fen put the effort in to mix with us all us from day 1. He was always positive even when things were bad. If you asked for help he would always be there for you, and would give his own input and innovation. See you later mate, you will never be forgotten.”

Secretary of State for Defence, Bob Ainsworth, said:
"It was with great sadness that I learnt of the death of Rifleman Andrew Fentiman, a man who by all accounts enjoyed Army life, and volunteered to serve in Afghanistan. In his short time with 3 Rifles he made his mark, and earned the respect of his colleagues.
"My thoughts are with his family and friends at what must be a very difficult time for them."

Rest in peace Fen
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:33:08 am by BIGdavalad »

Offline BSBW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #1506 on: November 17, 2009, 11:03:08 am »
RIP Fen

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1507 on: November 17, 2009, 11:24:26 am »
Rest in peace Fen

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1508 on: November 17, 2009, 04:10:44 pm »
Rest in peace Fen.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1509 on: November 17, 2009, 06:53:02 pm »
It is with deep regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Corporal Loren Owen Christopher Marlton-Thomas from 33 Engineer Regiment was killed in Afghanistan on Sunday 15 November 2009.

Corporal Marlton-Thomas was mortally wounded by an improvised explosive device whilst conducting a route search to clear devices in the vicinity of Patrol Base Sandford, in the Gereshk area of Helmand province.

Corporal Loren Owen Christopher Marlton-Thomas

Corporal Loren Marlton-Thomas, aged 28, and known as 'Loz' to his comrades, deployed on Operation HERRICK 11 as a Royal Engineer Search Team Commander within the Joint Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Group; part of the Counter-IED Task Force responsible for minimising the threat posed to ISAF, ANSF and the people of Afghanistan.

The cornerstone of 4 Troop, 49 Field Squadron RE (EOD), 33 Engineer Regiment RE (EOD) in Wimbish, Essex, he deployed to Afghanistan in September 2009 as an Acting Corporal. In the relatively short time that he had been in theatre he had proved himself more than worthy of the rank and responsibilities of a Section Commander.

Cpl Marlton-Thomas made the decision to serve his country by joining the Army in 1998. He had his mind set on a life full of challenge, excitement and adventure.

He initially considered a life in the Parachute Regiment; however he quickly found that his talents were better suited to life in the Royal Engineers. In typical 'Sapper' style he was a man of many talents, a first rate soldier, an extremely competent combat engineer and accomplished blacksmith. Not one for barracks routine he really came to the fore and flourished in the operational environment.

Prior to embarking on his career in EOD, 'Loz' served in a number of units including: 35 Engineer Regiment in Paderborn, 21 Engineer Regiment in Osnabruck and in 25 Engineer Regiment in Northern Ireland.

His military experience led him to complete operational tours of Northern Ireland on Op BANNER and Iraq on Op TELIC 11. On both tours he served in the Advanced Search Troop giving him a wealth of search experience which translated into him being an exceptional Team Commander.

Corporal Marlton-Thomas epitomised the men of courage and nerve that he led; Advanced Search (AS) teams, the 'improvised explosive device hunters', are a unique breed who stalk their concealed quarry along the tracks and wadis of Helmand.

He was extremely proud of this life saving and critical role that his team performs and demonstrated his true merit as a leader of men in this role.

Cpl Marlton-Thomas's wife, Mrs Nicola Marlton-Thomas, paid the following tribute:

"Loren was Army barmy right back to being a Cadet. He did the job he loved and paid the ultimate price for his friends, comrades and country. We are proud to say we knew and loved him. A true hero in our eyes - you may be gone but you will never ever be forgotten".

Lt Col David Southall MBE RE, Commanding Officer of 33 Engr Regt (EOD), said:

"Cpl Loren Marlton-Thomas was a man of great courage and commitment, a gifted Junior NCO who was truly passionate about his profession.

"He revelled in his Search Team Commander role, with skills honed on operations in both Northern Ireland and Iraq. 'Loz' was one of life's optimists who always led from the front; whatever the challenge, you would always find him right in the thick of it.

"His role, in leading teams to find IEDs, was undeniably amongst the toughest in Helmand Province. Despite this, Loz was one of the most irrepressible and positive Junior Commanders I have met. With a smile on his face, his natural charm, confidence and soldiering skill meant men followed him instinctively.

"Loz made the ultimate sacrifice whilst striving to rid Afghanistan of IEDs and make the country a safer place, for both our troops and the Afghan people. Our thoughts are with his wife, Nicola, and family; we share their grief. Loz will not be forgotten."

Lieutenant Colonel Gareth Bex RLC, Commanding Officer Counter IED Task Force, said:

"Corporal Marlton-Thomas was a courageous soldier and a strong leader; his boys loved him. He epitomised the character and bravery required of a Royal Engineer Search Team Commander and his loss will be felt keenly across our close knit community.

"Chatting together in Camp Bastion recently as we both surveyed a starlit Helmand sky, I was impressed by his enthusiasm and immediately taken by his intelligent and thoughtful nature. Immensely proud of his role he waxed lyrical on the jobs he and the boys had done so far.

"His pride and dedication is an inspiration to us all, and we will not let his death be in vain. He knew more than anyone that his job was dangerous, but understood that his role was vital to the security of decent Afghans and his fellow soldiers."

Major Tim Gould QGM, RLC Officer Commanding, Joint Force EOD Group, said:

"Corporal Marlton-Thomas made an immediate and lasting impression with me and clearly stood proud of his peers. An intelligent, articulate and focused individual he was emerging to be a most capable leader of men; the highest accolade you can afford a professional soldier.

"He was passionate for those in his charge and for the vital contribution that they are making here in Afghanistan. Highly revered by all within the Group, men of his distinction are few and far between and he will be gravely missed."

Captain Gareth Bateman RE, Second-in-Command Joint Force EOD Group, said:

"In the short time that I have known Corporal Marlton-Thomas, it was clear that he was highly-respected amongst all in the Squadron. His determination to lead his team from the front on operations was demonstrated by the way in which he fought to overcome an injury and be fit to deploy.

"He was the embodiment of the consummate Royal Engineer Soldier; I am proud to say that I served with him."

Lieutenant Fran Rizzuti RE, Troop Commander Joint Force EOD Group, said:

"Corporal Marlton-Thomas had a beaming smile and it was a feature that conveyed his immense enthusiasm for a job that he truly loved. Although we had only worked together for a short period, it was obvious to me that as a Search Team Commander he was second-to-none. He spoke of his wife, Nicola, often and it was clear that he was a proud and devoted husband.

"Corporal Marlton-Thomas was a fountain of knowledge, a man of many talents, who had a genuine aptitude for soldiering. I am honored and proud to have known him as both a colleague and indeed a friend. My only regret is that our paths did not cross sooner."

Secretary of State for Defence, Bob Ainsworth, said:

"I was very sorry to learn of the death of Corporal Loren Marlton-Thomas, an experienced and courageous soldier who had demonstrated his capability and commitment in Northern Ireland, Iraq and Afghanistan. He was a skilled engineer and a first rate soldier, and highly respected by the men he led.

"His work in Afghanistan saved lives and his death is a huge loss to the Royal Engineers and to the Army. It is, of course, his family who will feel the greatest loss at this time, and it is with them that my deepest sympathies lie."

Rest in peace Loz

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1510 on: November 18, 2009, 08:49:16 pm »
It is with sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of a soldier from the Royal Military Police (RMP) in Afghanistan today.

The soldier was killed as a result of small arms fire in the Babaji area of central Helmand province, during the morning of 18 November 2009.

"It is with deep sadness I must inform you that a soldier from the Royal Military Police was shot and killed this morning on operations in the Babaji area of Helmand province - one of our fellow soldiers taken from us in the course of his duty, and who we will remember."

Rest in peace Monkey

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1511 on: November 18, 2009, 09:26:28 pm »
Rest in peace Loz.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1512 on: November 19, 2009, 05:43:30 am »
FFS!

Rest in peace Monkey
Exemplo Ducemus

Rest in peace Loz

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #1513 on: November 19, 2009, 10:52:37 am »
I fuckin HATE seeing this thread all the time.

R.I.P to all those who have been lost,
and take care all those brave enough to be out there.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline BSBW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #1514 on: November 19, 2009, 11:13:33 am »
RIP Loz

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1515 on: November 20, 2009, 09:54:45 am »
It is with deep regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of Sergeant Robert David Loughran-Dickson of the Royal Military Police in Afghanistan on 18 November 2009.

Sergeant Loughran-Dickson died as a result of gunshot wounds sustained whilst taking part in a routine patrol in the vicinity of Patrol Base Wahid, in Nad-e-Ali District, Helmand Province.

Sergeant Robert David Loughran-Dickson, 4th Regiment, Royal Military Police

Sergeant Robert Loughran-Dickson, known as Robert to his family, Rob or L-D to his friends and colleagues, was 33 at the time of his death.

The youngest of three children, he was born and raised in the town of Deal in Kent. Together with his two sisters, he attended a local village primary school of fewer than 100 children, followed by the town's secondary school.

Sergeant Loughran-Dickson attended further education and, following this, in 1997 he enlisted into the Army, in the Royal, Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME).

In 2001 Sergeant Loughran-Dickson transferred to the Royal Military Police and, over the course of his career, deployed on operations in Kosovo, Iraq, Northern Ireland and finally Afghanistan. He was initially posted to 156 Provost Company and subsequently moved on to 160 Provost Company, 4th Regiment Royal Military Police which led to his deployment on Operation Herrick 11, in Helmand Province.

Sergeant Loughran-Dickson held a variety of positions during his time in the Army, including Police Post Non-Commissioned Officer, Motor Transport Non-Commissioned Officer, and Crime Reduction and Local Intelligence Officer. This last job was the one in which he got the most job satisfaction, giving crime reduction presentations, visiting schools or processing intelligence, and the job where he gained his promotion to Sergeant.
He was a keen runner, who enjoyed preparing for, and running marathon races, as well as hill-walking and swimming.

Sergeant Loughran-Dickson was the proud father of a son, also named Robert, born in September 1992.

The Dickson family paid the following tribute:
"Robert is a true hero in many ways of whom the whole family are extremely proud. He gave the ultimate sacrifice doing what he loved and was devoted to.
"A beloved father, son, brother and uncle. You lit up our lives and that light will stay bright forever. You will be greatly missed but always loved by all."

Lieutenant Colonel Debbie Poneskis, Commanding Officer, 4th Regiment, Royal Military Police, said:
"Sergeant Loughran-Dickson was an exceptional soldier and was completely committed to the Royal Military Police; he will be sorely missed by the Regiment and by the military community in Aldershot.
"Prior to his deployment to Afghanistan, Sergeant Loughran-Dickson was the Local Intelligence Officer and a Community Policeman; he excelled in this role, where his calm personable nature, dedication and commitment plus his consistent enthusiasm for the job, made him stand out.
"He was totally professional, easy company and was the first to volunteer for anything – whether it was helping his colleagues, attending community events out of hours or taking on additional tasks. I had absolute faith in Sergeant Loughran-Dickson: he was utterly reliable, wise beyond his years and he simply got on with the job, quietly and without fuss.
"He was an extremely proud father, and his son Robert is a credit to him."
Major Phil Hacker, Company Commander, 160 Provost Company, said:
"We have lost a talented, dedicated and much loved Senior Non-Commissioned Officer. Sergeant Loughran-Dickson was deeply respected by all who served with him. Undoubtedly professional, he was adored by those he led and by those who served with him.
"As a professional soldier and as a man, he has left a lasting contribution towards helping the people of Afghanistan. He will be sadly missed and our thoughts are with his family and loved ones."

Captain Karen Tait, Operations Officer, 160 Provost Company, said:
"Sergeant L-D was an honest, caring, genuine and devoted soldier and father. He was the kind of man who commanded respect from all who worked with him. His work back in Aldershot was exemplary and in his role out here, even in such a short space of time, he was far superior.
"L-D was a true friend whom I will deeply miss and even now cannot comprehend the void he will leave, not only in me but those he has served with and those he loved deeply and who loved him. I was proud and honoured to serve with him but above all being able to call him my friend. His smile I will miss the most."
Lieutenant Dominic Ellis, Platoon Commander, 160 Provost Company, said:
"Sergeant Rob Loughran-Dickson was a fine soldier and Military Policeman. Intelligent, confident, courteous and stalwart, he led from the front, happy to get stuck in at the sharp end, always setting an excellent example to his subordinates.

"Sergeant Loughran-Dickson could always be relied on to provide sound advice for junior officers who had the privilege to have him under their command. His professionalism ensured he was well respected by all he worked with, regardless of rank.
"Sergeant Loughran-Dickson's death is a tragic loss to the Royal Military Police and the British Army as a whole and my sincerest condolences go out to his family and friends."

Warrant Officer Class 2 Jon Barnett, Company Sergeant Major, said:
"When I arrived at 160 Company in Aldershot, L-D was one of the first Non-Commissioned Officers I met. I knew that when he was on shift, with such an abundance of confidence, he had the ability to produce the goods under pressure. It was a pleasure to see him promoted to Sergeant and work with him here in Afghanistan, where he thrived on the responsibility and the opportunity to lead from the front.
"He was one of the most professional Senior Non-Commissioned Officers I have had the pleasure of knowing."

"I was very saddened to learn of the death of Sergeant Robert Loughran-Dickson, a military policeman with 12 distinguished years in the Army behind him. His commanders describe him as an exceptional soldier, and I know his loss will be felt greatly amongst his colleagues and friends in the Royal Military Police.
"My deepest sympathies, of course, lie with Sergeant Loughran-Dickson’s family at this terrible time for them."

Rest in peace LD
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 09:56:17 am by BIGdavalad »

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1516 on: November 20, 2009, 10:44:25 am »
Rest in peace Rob

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1517 on: November 23, 2009, 11:54:51 pm »
A year has passed. I can barely believe it. Rest In Peace, Al. You will never be forgotten.

God bless the souls of the 125 brave British soldiers who died in Afghanistan in the 6 years before you, and the 109 who have been killed in the year since. Rest in peace also the hundreds of soldiers killed from other ASAF nations, and also the thousands of civilians killed in the crossfire.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 12:15:20 am by ۩ Imperator ۩ »
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1518 on: November 30, 2009, 05:58:37 pm »
It is with sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a soldier from the 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards has been killed in Afghanistan today, Monday 30 November 2009.

The soldier died from wounds received as a result of an explosion that happened in the Babaji area of central Helmand province this morning.

"It is my sad duty to confirm that a soldier from 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards was killed this morning by an explosion in the Babaji area of Helmand province.

"He died doing his duty as a British soldier, among his fellow soldiers, and we will remember him."

Rest in peace Woodentop.

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #1519 on: November 30, 2009, 06:03:18 pm »
It is with sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a soldier from the 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards has been killed in Afghanistan today, Monday 30 November 2009.

The soldier died from wounds received as a result of an explosion that happened in the Babaji area of central Helmand province this morning.

"It is my sad duty to confirm that a soldier from 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards was killed this morning by an explosion in the Babaji area of Helmand province.

"He died doing his duty as a British soldier, among his fellow soldiers, and we will remember him."

Rest in peace Woodentop.

RIP :(
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.