Author Topic: British casualties in Iraq/Afghanistan etc.  (Read 296404 times)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
Re: British casualties in Iraq/Afghanistan etc.
« Reply #1320 on: August 13, 2009, 06:39:45 pm »
I went to Trooper Phillip (Lenny) Lawrence's funeral on Tuesday, as I know his Mum very well, and I can honestly say that I've never been to a more sad occasion in my life.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 06:41:29 pm by Terry De Niro »

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1321 on: August 13, 2009, 07:00:28 pm »
Rest in peace lads.

Bollocks to this!
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #1322 on: August 14, 2009, 01:21:32 am »
RIP boys....
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1323 on: August 15, 2009, 03:39:37 pm »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that three British soldiers, two from The 2nd Battalion The Rifles and a third from 40 Regiment Royal Artillery have died following an explosion while on patrol near Sangin in Helmand Province this morning, Thursday 13 August 2009.

With deep regret, the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Captain Mark Hale and Rifleman Daniel Wild of the 2nd Battalion The Rifles (2 Rifles) and Lance Bombardier Matthew Hatton of 40th Regiment Royal Artillery (The Lowland Gunners) were killed in Afghanistan on Thursday 13 August 2009.

No further details are being released about Captain Mark Hale.

Lance Bombardier Matthew Hatton

Lance Bombardier Matthew Hatton was killed in action on Thursday 13 August 2009, when he was caught in an Improvised Explosive Device blast whilst on foot patrol as part of Op GHARTSE KERS 4, providing security for a pre-election shura in the Sangin area of Helmand province.

He had suffered injury in an initial blast which had sadly killed Rifleman Wild and, whilst trying to clear an extraction route to the Helicopter Landing Site, was caught in a second blast in which he was fatally wounded.

Lance Bombardier Hatton was born on 15 June 1986 and was from Easingwold in North Yorkshire. He joined 40th Regiment Royal Artillery (the Lowland Gunners) on 21 January 2004 after completion of his Basic Training at the Army Foundation College Harrogate and Phase 2 Training at Larkhill, Wiltshire.

After an initial tour in 49 (Inkerman) Headquarters Battery, he was posted to 6/36 (Arcot 1751) Battery, immediately establishing himself as a highly popular character within a very close knit Tactical Group. Having previously completed operational tours in Iraq and Cyprus, he completed Pre-Deployment Training for Afghanistan and subsequently deployed with the 2 RIFLES Battle Group in March 2009 as an Observation Post Assistant, initially to the Kajaki area of operations and subsequently south, to Sangin where he was bolstering the in place Fire Support Team (FST) when he was tragically killed.

The role of an Observation Post Assistant is a demanding one and requires a special breed of soldier. The job requires initiative, foresight, composure under extreme pressure, clarity of thought, physical and mental robustness and tactical awareness.

LBdr Hatton epitomised these qualities and possessed an enthusiasm for his work which was clear for all to see. He was often to be found in his room at night reading his Operational Procedures (OP) cribs in order to better understand the technical aspects of his profession, much to the amusement of his friends in the Battery, or in the Gym working hard on his fitness in order to ensure that he would be ready in all respects when the time came.

He had begun his career in 40th Regiment Royal Artillery as a Battlefield Meteorological System (BMETS) operator, responsible for providing the meteorological data that a Light Gun requires in order to fire accurately.

However, it was indicative of his character and desire to be at the forefront of the action so he sought a posting to a Fire Support Team. He was a man who thrived on being at the forefront of everything that his Battery and Regiment were involved in and it was in this spirit that he deployed to Kajaki with his FST and his comrades from the 2 RIFLES Battle Group.

In perhaps the most austere and kinetic corner of Helmand Province, his orchestration of Joint Fires was truly exceptional. On his return from Helmand province, it was his wish to attempt the arduous patrols course and become a member of 4/73 Battery Royal Artillery; further testament to the sheer enjoyment and satisfaction he derived from soldiering, and soldiering well.

A young man with a winning smile and a heart of gold LBdr Matthew Hatton was one of the best of us. The distress of the Regiment is second only to that of his mother Jill, father Philip and his girlfriend Tasha Chehab. Our thoughts are with them.

LBdr Hatton's family have said:

"Matt always wanted to be a soldier from being very young. He passionately enjoyed his job and often talked fondly about his colleagues and friends.

"He was very brave and a credit to both us and the Army. We are really proud of him as our son, as a brother and as a soldier. Matt loved all his family dearly. He was full of fun, mischief and always brought happiness to our days. With a huge heart he touched many lives and will be missed by everyone and remembered forever."

Lieutenant Colonel Owen Adams, Commanding Officer of 40th Regiment Royal Artillery, said:

"Lance Bombardier Matthew Hatton was a man who had found his niche in life. He revelled in the bond that is commonplace amongst soldiers who serve in small teams across the Army and he lived to excel in his chosen profession.

"Being a member of an FST on operations is a privileged and important role at the very heart of the Company Group. The bonds of camaraderie formed between a Company and its FST are forged through the blood and sweat of endeavour, in pursuit of a common purpose.

"It is a special bond that only soldiers truly understand; Lance Bombardier Matthew Hatton understood it and thrived on it, as did his resolute comrades in 2 RIFLES and I know they will mourn his loss with their own.

"Lance Bombardier Hatton was one of those characters who stood out in a crowd. I was always most struck by his engaging style, cheerfulness and sense of pride. I enjoyed his company on the times we chatted in Barracks or out in the field. He was no shrinking violet and would always engage in conversation with his superiors, peers and subordinates alike; a positive and inspiring young man who I can honestly say was a genuine pleasure to know."

Lieutenant Colonel Rob Thomson MBE, Commanding Officer 2 RIFLES Battle Group, said:

"Lance Bombardier Hatton was one of an enviably effervescent bunch of Gunners who have made a mark in all corners of the 2 Rifles Battle Group. I got to know Lance Bombardier Hatton because we always seemed to be on the same helicopter.

"He made an immediate impression - physically striking, he sat and chatted with real insight about his fight at Kajaki and what he hoped to bring to Sangin. He was a master of his art and has dug my Riflemen out of some very hairy moments and I am hugely grateful. He has saved lives, undoubtedly so.

"I have been struck as I have walked round my Battle Group today by how proud people are to have known 'Hatts' and I count myself firmly in that number of very privileged men and women.

"He will be sorely missed by us all but we will pause in our FOB to recall a man who lived to the full, brimmed with passion for his job and touched the lives of many here in the Upper Sangin Valley. There is much to celebrate in his life, cut so tragically short.

"Our prayers and thoughts must now be with his beloved family and we pray that somehow they will find the courage and the strength to face this unimaginably awful time."

Major Joe Power, Commanding 6/36 Battery, 40th Regiment Royal Artillery, said:

"In the short time I knew Lance Bombardier Hatton he made a remarkable impression on me. It is a great testament to his character that he so readily volunteered to join the A Company Fire Support Team in Sangin, having spent a considerable period engaged in combat operations in Kajaki beforehand.

"Full of beans and with huge reserves of energy, he threw himself into his new role as the 'Ack', and quickly made his mark in an already highly competent team. His arrival added impetus and fresh ideas and he just couldn't wait to use his considerable talents to make a difference here in Sangin.

"He remarked to me just days before his untimely death that soldiering in Sangin was precisely what he joined the Army to do. He was supremely comfortable with his duties as an 'Ack' and a great soldier too. He had an amazing future ahead of him and the Battery has lost one of its rising stars.

"Enormously popular and unfailingly cheerful, even when faced with adversity, his mischievous smile and sense of fun will be sorely missed. He was the epitome of a Fire Support Team soldier and died doing what he loved.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and loved ones at this most difficult of times."

Major Matt Rimmer, former Battery Commander 6/36 Battery , said:

"Lance Bombardier Hatton was one of my rising stars, a real talent for the future. 'Hatts', as we rather predictably called him, was an ox of a man, with shoulders that bore weight and responsibility with equal ease.

"He was thriving on operations in Northern Helmand, relishing his role in a Fire Support Team and flourishing in a hugely challenging environment. He had been part of a very close-knit team supporting 2 RIFLES Battlegroup and clearly loved the experience.

"Fitter, stronger and more assured than I have ever known him, he used his technical skill on a daily basis to take the fight to the insurgents. He loved being a soldier, loved being in the mix with his mates and was growing in maturity and confidence before one's eyes.

"Despite an inability to resist spending vast amounts of cash on unnecessary military kit, Hatts was a remarkably level-headed and measured man. Calm, poised and ready to chat, he had an enviable ability to make friends readily – he was the sort of guy who would always make the extra effort to include someone new. He was a gallant and kind man – a genuinely decent bloke.

"Hatts had real intelligence and courage, as his questions and his actions demonstrated. Never afraid to volunteer, he was a front-foot soldier with a positive attitude and a positive influence on those around him. While his friends and family will be suffering hugely at the moment, they should rest assured that he was a man in his element, doing what he loved, doing it superbly and making a difference."

Captain Colin Oliver, Acting Officer Commanding I Company, 2 Rifles, Kajaki, said:

"Lance Bombardier Hatton spent most of his tour at Kajaki, where he was a proud member of a close Fire Support Team that helped I Company, 2 Rifles protect the Kajaki dam. A unique part of Helmand, the FST were in constant use and 'Hatts' was an important part of a team who used Joint Fires on an almost daily basis.

"Fit, strong and with a larger than life character, he was well known throughout the FOB, and was a popular individual amongst the Riflemen of I Company. He dealt with the news of his move to Sangin with maturity and enthusiasm for a new challenge. A mark of the man was that he spent his last few days in Kajaki cramming up on his skills and drills, so that he could do the best possible job as an 'Ack' in Sangin.

"He will be greatly missed, both by his very close knit FST and by those Riflemen with whom he served in Kajaki. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this difficult time, of whom he talked about so often."

Sergeant Lee Wotherspoon, Team Commander, said:

"I first met Lance Bombardier Hatton as a fresh faced sixteen year old when I was his section commander at AFC Harrogate. Straight away I was struck by his boundless energy and willingness to learn and try new experiences.

"This never changed throughout his career and he always threw himself into every situation with an enthusiasm that was an inspiration to the younger members of the team. As a colleague and a friend he was always a joy to be around with his ready wit and all too ready smile. He was, to the end, a constant professional; he was never happier than when he was doing his job, in which he took great pride.

"Hatts, you were a joy to be around and inspired all who new you. It saddens me that you are gone and the world will be a much duller place without you in it. Our thoughts go out to your family at this most difficult of times. You were one of the best and will never be replaced."

Sergeant Mike Oldfield, of the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre in Kajaki, said:

"Lance Bombardier Matthew Hatton was an excellent Junior Non Commissioned Officer. He was an immensely strong soldier and could Tab along for hours on end in the heat without moaning. His input to our team in daily FOB life will be missed immensely. Although his bread baking skills left a lot to be desired he would always try again the next day which just summed up his character.

"He was a man who wouldn't give up on something once he'd set his mind to do it; a great soldier and a great bloke. May you now rest in peace."

Bombardier Simon Chambers, FST Ack in Wishtan, said:

"It has only been a couple of years since 'Hatts' joined our Tac Group, bringing with him huge amounts of enthusiasm and surplus amounts of kit. He spent the majority of his pay on 'ally-ness' when on occasion he didn't even know what it was for! It may even be true that he had more kit than the BQMS.

"Hatts, your keenness, love of the FST and the Regiment, will be greatly missed; it saddens us to know that you will not be around to brighten our lives. Our thoughts and prayers go out to your family and friends at this time."

Bombardier Ryan Brown, FST Ack in Kajaki, said:

"Matthew, or "Hatts" as he was known to many, was as keen as they come. I grew to know Hatts on a personal and professional level as we have always seemed to end up on the same courses ever since I joined the Regiment. He always wanted to be in a Fire Support Team and sure enough, he transferred Batteries and ended up a member of 6/36 (Arcot 1751) Battery RA.

"Living completed our Observation Post Assistant Level 3 course together we found out we would be "Going to War" (as we called it) together as Witchcraft 23. Hatts was a vital member of the team and although I was the "Ack" he was the "Ack's Ack", a joke we had amongst us. Having served 5 months with us in Kajaki he was in his element fighting the fight and getting to show his skills as the teams "Ray Mears".

"When he got the chance to go to Sangin, he grinned like a Cheshire Cat! That will be the lasting memory I will always have of him, as he got on that flight to go down river and do what he was itching to do. I know he had a huge impact once he arrived and he told me he was having the time of his life.

"Hatts - you will be missed but never forgotten. Our thoughts are with the Hatton Family circle at this difficult time."

Gunner Lee Davies, Kajaki FST, said:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest" Matthew 11:28.

"Lance Bombardier Hatton was a true soldier and very close friend. I knew Hatts for 2 years and it was the second year when we really got close, when we were in the same FST. These past 5 months will always stick with me, especially all the good laughs Matthew and I had.

"To all the Hatton family and friends, my heart goes out to you all. You will never be forgotten Big Man."

Gunner Toby Allen, Kajaki FST, said:

"Hatts", was such a great guy for the time I knew him. He lived for the Army; he always wanted to get into the action and do a bit of the fighting. Since being on tour and exercise with Hatts, he has taught me so much and made the Army better for me.

"I will never forget you "Hatts"; you were such a good friend and an awesome soldier. May you sleep in peace."

Lance Bombardier John Cottle, said:

"Matthew's true qualities shone through from the moment I met him. He was a quiet but confident soldier who loved his job. He had a heart of gold and would always be willing to help others. He was a dedicated family man who was always at the forefront of any practical jokes played on his fellow colleagues. Matthew will be missed by all. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and many friends at this difficult time."

Rifleman Daniel Wild

Rifleman Daniel Wild of the 2nd Battalion The Rifles (2 Rifles) was killed near Forward Operating Base Jackson, in Sangin in Afganistan on Thursday 13th August 2009.

Rifleman Daniel Wild was born on 18 July 1990 in Hartlepool. He joined the Army in 2007 conducting his phase one training at ATR Bassingbourne and completing his Phase 2 training at the Infantry Training Centre, Catterick.

He joined 2nd Battalion The Rifles in May 2008. Too young to deploy to Kosovo last summer, he seized the opportunity to deploy on exercise to Canada with 5 RIFLES instead. He excelled there despite his apparent lack of experience, receiving outstanding reports from all he worked with.

On his return to the Battalion he threw himself wholeheartedly into pre-deployment training, determined to excel when he finally got his chance on operations. He passed many courses with distinction including the Team Medic Cadre qualifying him to administer life saving first aid whilst patrolling in Helmand.

He was an exceptional shot, both with the Rifle and machine gun. He died in an IED explosion on 13th August 2009 whilst helping another soldier to safety in Sangin. Rifleman Wild leaves behind his loving mother, his sister, Megan, and his brothers, Dale and Christopher.

Lieutenant Colonel Rob Thomson MBE, Commanding Officer 2 RIFLES Battle Group, said:

"Rifleman Wild was an epic Rifleman who has been right at the very front of our fight here in Sangin. He has been fearless and his Platoon adored him for it. He was smaller than most (smaller than everyone, if I am being honest) and, when laden, appeared to disappear under the extraordinary burden the boys all carry here.

"But Rifleman Wild carried his load lightly and was in no sense a 'small man'. In a land of metaphorical giants here in Sangin, he was as tall as any of them, perhaps more so.

"He was always the lead man in his patrol; he got on with facing that risk every day without any complaint. He was selfless to a fault, everyone else, whatever their rank, came first and his nature was to hunt out the funny side of life.

"He has saved life here because, as point man, he was always on the look out for IEDs and it is tragic but typical that he died helping to carry a wounded friend to a helicopter landing site for evacuation. He had so much to offer - his next target was to be a PT buster in my gym and he had the lungs and legs for it. Few could keep up with him.

"Rifleman Wild will be sorely, sorely missed but we will never forget his sacrifice. He has given his life for his comrades, for our nation and for the people of Afghanistan. And we will celebrate the richness of his life.

"Our first prayers and thoughts must now be with his adored family and friends. We pray that somehow they can find strength in this desperately awful time."

Major Karl Hickman, Officer Commanding A Company 2 RIFLES Battle Group, said:

"I knew that Rifleman Daniel Wild was going to be a tough and resourceful soldier the moment he joined the Company. It was probably the fact that he wore jungle boots for tabbing when everyone else wore cushioned walking boots.

"Small, wiry and tremendously fit, he was a man who you knew would never quit and someone that you could always rely on. Calm, professional and always with a rye smile, Rifleman Wild had been phenomenally successful as both a Rifleman and as the point man responsible for clearing the route along which his platoon would follow.

"Yet he also had the spare capacity to always be there to help others, whatever the situation. He was one of the rocks of his Platoon and the Company has lost one of its most promising Riflemen. It was truly a privilege to have served with him."

Lieutenant Will Hignett, 1 Platoon Commander, said:

"Rifleman Daniel "Wildy" Wild was the absolute epitome of a tough and professional Rifleman. He was utterly dependable and truly loyal to the platoon, his comrades and his friends.

"He bought a sense of calm to those around him and, as the point man, clearing the route for others to follow, he was second to none. He unfailingly instilled confidence in those around him with his exceptional skill and capability, carrying out an incredibly demanding role with the platoon.

"His actions throughout our time in Afghanistan, without a shadow of doubt, saved numerous lives and allowed the successful completion of all the operations and patrols we undertook. Humorous and cheerful to the very end, he was always the first to pull out his team medic pack and help those around him or be the first to put on his kit and step out the gate after a particularly trying time.

"As his commander he gave me everything I could have asked of him and invariably more. He was a very talented and brave young man with an amazing career ahead of him. He had high aspirations to become a PTI on our return to Northern Ireland and I am sure he would have achieved that desire with ease.

"The Platoon is a much quieter and less colourful place since his loss; he leaves big shoes to fill and his fellow Riflemen are determined to carry on with the mission as they know, without any hesitation, Wildy would have done so for them.

"Our thoughts as a platoon are with his family and girlfriend whom he loved dearly and was very proud of. He never stopped talking about his younger sister and was so excited about seeing them all during his mid-tour leave in six days time. This is a very sad time for everyone who knew Wildy; he was a star but we all can take solace in the fact he gave his life doing a job he adored, surrounded by friends who loved and respected him."

Corporal Adam Newton, Section Commander, said:

"Rifleman Daniel Wild was a great Rifleman and a brother to everyone who knew him. He had a great sense of humour and always put a smile on my face. He always put his mates first. He was a fearless young man.

"When we first came to Afghanistan he was one of the men used to clear the route for the Platoon to follow, which he loved to do and he did it very well. I can say from my time working with him that he has saved many lives. On the day that he passed away he was taking other casualties to the helicopter and, to me, he died a hero and he will always be remembered as one.

"It was an honour working with him and I will truly miss him. Rest in Peace Fallen Hero - Swift and Bold."

Rifleman Dan Cayless, Fellow Rifleman, said:

"Wild, you were a good mate and you were so brave. All you wanted to do was your job. If something needed doing, you would be the first person to volunteer. I'm gonna miss you loads mate, Rest in Peace."

Rifleman Steve Glover, Fellow Rifleman, said:

"Rifleman Wild was my best friend and my little brother. Wildy was one of the strongest men I've ever worked with and I feel so proud to have served alongside him. He would always be the first man to help anyone out both on the ground or in camp. A brilliant soldier and a best friend. Rest in Peace Wildy, you'll never be forgotten."

Rifleman Matthew Meakin, Fellow Rifleman, said:

"Rifleman Wild was not just a mate, he was a brother; a brother that will be missed, not just by his mates and family but by anyone who knew him. He always made sure that he put his mates first. If you were down, you always knew the Wildy would be the first person there to cheer you up. He was a hero, he will be missed and always loved by those who knew him. Rest in Peace Brother. Swift and Bold."

Rifleman Rick Edgar, Fellow Rifleman, said:

"Wildy, may you Rest in Peace. You were a good mate and you have done us proud. Rest in Peace Wildy."

Rifleman Connor Duff, Fellow Rifleman, said:

"Your unbreakable spirit and inspiring courage. Your infinite strength and immense passion. You were the one that never broke down, never showed weakness, the one we looked up to, the one we followed. Our mate, our brother, our Rifleman. Rest in Peace Brother."

Rifleman Greg Edwards, Fellow Rifleman, said:

"Rifleman Daniel Wild was a Rifleman you would definitely be happy to have in your team. He was a strong, courageous and fearless Rifleman who, no matter what he was carrying on the ground or what he was told to do, he would have been happy to do it.

"Wildy was such a key Rifleman for so long within our Platoon, by doing what he did best - being the lead man and clearing the route for us to follow. On numerous occasions Wildy had saved the lives of his men by finding IEDs. It was a privilege and an honour to work with Wildy, a true Rifleman through and through. Rest in Peace buddy, we will miss you so much. You were a legend, we miss you."

Rifleman Joseph Nwagu, Fellow Rifleman, said:

"Wildy, you left us in shock by your sudden departure but we took solace from the fact that you engraved your name in history by dying a hero. To those whom you gave your life so that they may live peacefully - you are a hero. And to us with whom you shared your joy in good times and marched with, swiftly and boldly in times of danger, you are a warrior, and in our hearts your memory will live forever. Adieu Wildy and may the heavens grant you peace. Rest in Peace."

Rifleman Daniel Taylor, Fellow Rifleman, said:

"Rifleman Daniel Wild was like my brother. We were battle buddies, we fought side by side for six months out here in Afghanistan . He cleared the route for every patrol and did it brilliantly. Always the first one into a compound, no whingeing, no messing around, he was a true hero. If you knew Wildy, you would understand that he put his life selflessly on the line before any of his mates.

"He was always a happy little chappy, joking and taking the mick like any Rifleman does. The only difference was that he was a 'dirty Mackem' and I am a horrible Geordie; we were the best of friends but on Derby Day the greatest of enemies. Rest in Peace my little friend and a fearless hero, from me and all the fighters in 1 Platoon. Gone but not forgotten. SWIFT AND BOLD."

Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth said:

"I was saddened to hear of the deaths of these outstanding soldiers. Both had qualities that earned them the highest respect from their commanders and peers. Their efforts and achievements during their tours to Afghanistan will be remembered by those they served alongside, and here in Great Britain , we all will hold them in the highest regard for paying the ultimate sacrifice in helping to protect us against the threat of terror on our streets.

"My thoughts are with the families and friends of these fallen soldiers at this dreadful time."

Rest in peace lads
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #1324 on: August 15, 2009, 09:05:52 pm »
Rest in peace Hatts.
Rest in peace Wildy.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline cornish exile

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1325 on: August 15, 2009, 11:00:52 pm »
yet another soldier killed  tonight. just breaking on sky news now.

RIP ALL.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" – -- Unknown

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #1326 on: August 15, 2009, 11:55:17 pm »
R.I.P.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #1327 on: August 16, 2009, 12:17:11 am »
RIP Mark
RIP Hatts
RIP Wildy
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1328 on: August 16, 2009, 01:30:15 am »
RIP LADS....
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1329 on: August 16, 2009, 09:57:27 am »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a soldier, from The 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh died of wounds on Saturday 15 August at the Royal College of Defence Medicine, Selly Oak.The soldier had been wounded while on a vehicle patrol near Musa Qaleh in Helmand Province on the morning of 13 August 2009.

Lieutenant Colonel Nick Richardson spokesman for Task Force Helmand said:

"It is with much sqdness that I confirm, the death of a brave soldier who laid down his life for the good people of Afghanistan. We are deeply sadened by his life and join with his family and friends to mourn his passing."

Next of kin have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before further details are released.

"This is grim day. 200 brave service men and women have lost their lives in Afghanistan, bringing unbearable pain and imeasurable loss to their families and friends.

"We mourn evey single one of them, as we mourn the lives of those from our partners within NATO and the Afgan National Security Forces.

"My thoughts are with their families, friends and collegues."

"This is a difficult time but we must all take solace from the fact that although sometimes slow we have been making good progress in Afghanistan. We must all stay focused on the mission, on why it matters and what is at stake.

"I know from talking to service personnel that these losses are hard to bear. But they believe and understand the importance of their task. The men and women depolyed in Afghanistan today are working hard in a challenging and difficult environment to make sure that Afghans can take the next step.

"Operation Panther's Claw was a tough fight, as they all are but it has brought nearly 80,000 Afghans out from under the tyranny of the Taliban and has ensured that they can take part in this week's elections."

"As we reflect on these terrible losses it is important that we also look forward to only the second Afghan Presidential elections, giving so many more a stake in their own emerging democracy. It is only by supporting the Afghan government and its security forces to bring stability can we ensure that we prevent Afghanistan becoming the haven for terrorists it once was, protecting Britain from attack and promoting peace across the region.

"We must not fail in this task, and we will not. Our Armed Forces personnel understand this more than anyone. Britain and the whole coalition must remain resolute and we will continue to build upon the hard-won successes of our incredibly brave and committed service personnel. We owe them no less."

and

It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a soldier from 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers has been killed.

The soldier died as a result of injuries sustained in an explosion that happened while on a foot patrol near Sangin, northen Helmand Province on Saturday 15 August.

Next of kin have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before further details are released.

Rest in peace lads
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 11:32:08 am by BIGdavalad »
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1330 on: August 16, 2009, 10:56:23 am »
Rest in peace lads.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1331 on: August 16, 2009, 11:29:43 am »
It is terribly sad that we were all anticipating this day so soon, 200 brave men killed in the Afghan conflict. God bless them all.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline TeamSpirit™

• Main Stander
  • Cockerel that likes to hang around Liverbirds
« Reply #1332 on: August 16, 2009, 11:34:18 am »
RIP to all

Bring the rest of the boys home whilst they've still got a chance.

Offline cornish exile

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1333 on: August 16, 2009, 08:08:35 pm »
Sky News now.

3 more fusiliers killed.

sad.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" – -- Unknown

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1334 on: August 16, 2009, 09:39:11 pm »
Jesus. Horrendous weekend.

Three UK soldiers die in Helmand

Five soldiers have died this weekend

Three British soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan, taking the number of UK fatalities to 204.

The Ministry of Defence said the soldiers were from the 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

They died following an explosion while on patrol near Sangin in Helmand province on Sunday morning. Next of kin have been informed.

Earlier, Gordon Brown admitted it had been "a very difficult summer", but said progress was being made.

Speaking about the most recent deaths, Lieutenant Colonel Nick Richardson, spokesman for Task Force Helmand, said "each and every death is a tragedy".

"Words mean very little in such an extremely sad situation but our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of these brave soldiers, " he said.

"We share their pain and mourn the loss of these true British heroes."

'Vital' mission

Five soldiers have died over the weekend - four from the 2nd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

The grim milestone of 200 was reached on Saturday when a soldier, from the 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh, died of his injuries at a hospital in Britain.

Another soldier, from the 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, died after an explosion on Saturday while on foot patrol in Sangin.

Three soldiers were killed by blasts in Helmand on Thursday. They have been named as Lance Bombardier Matthew Hatton of 40 Regiment Royal Artillery, and Captain Mark Hale and Rifleman Daniel Wild of the 2nd Battalion The Rifles.

Mr Brown admitted that more than 30 deaths during July and August, as British troops went on the offensive to shore up security in time for Afghan elections, had made it "one of the most difficult summers yet".

The prime minister said the whole country mourned the loss of its soldiers in Afghanistan.

But he said they were engaged in a "vital" mission to protect Britain from terrorism and maintain a stable Afghanistan.

Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth told the BBC it was essential to maintain support for the mission.

"The spirit of our armed forces is absolutely indomitable, but everybody in the military knows you have to have the military themselves, you have to have the government, and you have to have the nation as a whole if you're going to succeed.

"That trinity has to be maintained. And I just want to urge people: this is difficult; it isn't going to be a short engagement. It needs not only bravery, but patience as well."

The BBC's defence correspondent Caroline Wyatt in Helmand said flags were still flying at half mast for the two soldiers who died on Saturday but UK troops would not be deterred from their work.

In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1335 on: August 17, 2009, 08:05:17 am »
Rest in peace Fusiliers.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1336 on: August 17, 2009, 12:19:04 pm »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a soldier, from The 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh died of wounds on Saturday 15 August at the Royal College of Defence Medicine, Selly Oak.The soldier had been wounded while on a vehicle patrol near Musa Qaleh in Helmand Province on the morning of 13 August 2009.

It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Private Richard Hunt from 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh died at the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine in Selly Oak on Saturday 15 August 2009 from wounds sustained in Helmand province two days previously.

Private Hunt was wounded as result of an explosion while on a vehicle patrol near Musa Qaleh in Helmand province on the morning of 13 August 2009.

Private Richard Hunt

Private Richard Hunt, aged 21, was part of a vehicle patrol from A Company, 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh, who are working to extend and enforce the writ of the Government of Afghanistan.

Private Richard Hunt, 'Hunty', was originally born in Haverford West, but then moved to Abergavenny, which he considered to be his home town and lived there until joining the Army in October 2007. He attended King Henry VIII Comprehensive School and Usk College before starting his training at the Infantry Training Centre at Catterick, where he was awarded the Physical Training Prize. He was immensely proud to be both an infanteer, and a member of the Royal Welsh.

After completing his training, 'Hunty' was posted to 2 Platoon in A Company, 2 Royal Welsh in April 2008 where he immediately became part of the team. His enthusiasm for soldiering was clear from the outset and he was quickly identified by his platoon staff as a bright, enthusiastic soldier capable of achieving a great deal. After acquitting himself well during a rigorous, but rewarding, period of Public Order training with A Company, Hunty specialised as a Warrior Armoured Infantry Fighting Vehicle driver, and it was in this role that he exercised extensively in preparation for his challenging deployment on Op HERRICK. Whilst a confident and skilled Warrior driver, Hunty was also fast developing into an excellent sniper and he showed clear leadership potential.

When A Company's deployment to Helmand Province was announced, Hunty was amongst the most enthusiastic of the Company's soldiers. He prepared himself as well as possible, and commendably took all he could from the training opportunities offered, actively seeking knowledge and drawing the wisdom from more experienced members of the Company.

Hazel and Phillip Hunt, Private Hunt's parents said:

"Richard showed us all his strength of character in many ways, proving to be thoughtful, vain and yet selfless to the end. He proved to us to be a loving son, brother and uncle at all times.

"He chose his battles with great thought. His bravado, ironically, masked his natural shyness. In our hearts he will be eternally missed and never replaced.

"We'd like to thank all those for their very kind thoughts and prayers from strangers, friends and family at this difficult time.

"His may have been the two hundredth death, whilst we have lost our son and brother, our thoughts are also with other injured and bereaved service personnel and their families, at what we know to be one of the most difficult times a family can face.

"He will be missed."

Commanding Officer 2 R Welsh, Lieutenant Colonel Mark Wheeler, said:

"The tragic loss of Private Richard Hunt will be hard felt by the Battalion and all those that knew him. Although quiet by nature, he clearly had a passion for soldiering, a true 'Welsh Warrior'. He was enthusiastic and dedicated in all that he pursued and coupled with his natural ability, particularly his robust physical strength, a bright future lay ahead.

"Richard was a sincere and selfless soldier, always eager to help his friends and never to let down the team. He worked tirelessly without fuss and was relied upon by many of those around him. He was an excellent soldier and a friend to so many, he will be sadly missed.

"At this tragic time our thoughts and prayers are uppermost with his close family and friends."

Commanding Officer 2 RRF, Lieutenant Colonel Charlie Calder, said:

"Private Richard Hunt had only just arrived in the Battlegroup when he was tragically fatally injured by an IED. He was clearly a proud Welshman and a capable Infantryman with bags of potential. Everyone in Musa Qal'eh sends their heartfelt condolences to his family at this very difficult time."

His Company Commander, Major Huw Jones said:

"Richard was a fine soldier; fit, professional and extremely brave. He had huge potential and was at the peak of his game, having just completed an arduous and demanding Sniper course. It was typical of him to volunteer to drive a Warrior when the need arose. Despite the danger he threw himself at the task with the boundless enthusiasm and selfless commitment which was his hallmark - he set an example for us all. We have lost a man of great courage and skill, and it has wounded us deeply. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

His Platoon Commander, Lieutenant Tom Richards said:

"Hunty was a popular and influential member of a very close knit platoon; his desperately sad loss will leave a void that for his peers and friends - one and the same - cannot be filled.

"Though not the most outgoing of the Platoon's private soldiers, Hunty was dependable, loyal and wise beyond his years. He was one of those lucky few people whose natural talent and intelligence was improved upon by diligence, and an impressive work ethic. He took pride in everything he did, and because of that did everything well; whether mountain biking, climbing or infanteering, he was invariably the 'achiever' that many of us are quietly, but acutely, jealous of.

"He died too early in his tour of Afghanistan to enjoy the adventure he craved, and far too early in life to fulfil the potential he clearly possessed by the sack-load. Hunty will never be forgotten by his mates in 2 Platoon, though our pain cannot contend with what his parents and family are experiencing at this terrible time. Our thoughts, and prayers, are with them."

Lieutenant Justin Jones, 1 Platoon Commander said:

"At the time of this tragic event, Hunty had spent five days attached to my platoon. Although he missed his beloved 2 Platoon, he conducted his duties with a cheerful demeanour that lifted the spirits of those around him. We had travelled together for some four days in arduous conditions, and in that time he displayed a resilience and professionalism that was not just inspiring, but humbling. He joked with me about the arduous nature of our journey, and I was grateful for a cheerful soul to listen to my own complaints. Above all, it was clear Hunty was enjoying himself immensely. He will never be forgotten, and our thoughts are with his family during this tragic time."

His Platoon Sergeant, Sergeant Scott Townley said:

"Private Hunt was a great soldier and a complete professional. He was really keen to get to Afghanistan and get stuck in. His loss is a tragedy and the Platoon will not be the same without him. He was a true Welsh Warrior. Our thoughts are with his family."

Corporal Lee Rees, Section Commander said:

"Hunty was a very keen soldier who revelled in his role as a 'sniper'. He always took pride in what he did. Sometimes quiet, he would come out of his shell when he had a few Jack Daniels and would soon have us all laughing. He was a great guy and a true 'Welsh Warrior'. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. 'Gone but never forgotten'."

Private Nathan Hollinshead, a close friend said:

"Hunt was an amazing soldier and an amazing friend. He was always having a laugh and a joke. When he passed the sniper course he said he wanted to be the first one to fire the sniper rifle out here and live out his dream. I will carry on his dream for him. I will never forget you my friend. All my thoughts go to family and friends. 'We will remember them'."Private Daniel Frowen, a close friend said:

"Richard Hunt and myself turned up to Tidworth on the same day, had a room opposite each other and over the past year and a half got on amazingly well - I will miss him so much. My heart goes out to all his family and loved ones and I speak not just for myself but the entire company when I say he will be remembered as a great soldier and a better friend to us all. I know you will keep us safe mate just remember to look down on us all - I promise to do my best. Love you Rich... Frowen."

Private Steffan Williams, a close Friend said:

"My thoughts and prayers go out to Rich's family at this time. Rich was in my platoon and I got to know him from the first day he came. He was a great guy and always had a laugh and joke with the rest of the boys and would often join us for a drink with his favourite Jack Daniels whiskey. Rich is going to be greatly missed by everyone in the platoon and I feel privileged to have known him. Rich loved doing what he did and never disappointed, he will always be remembered as a superb, enthusiastic soldier and above all an awesome friend. Rich will always be remembered by everyone, a true Welsh Warrior forever."

Private Daniel Obradovic, a close Friend said:

"First of all I would like to thank Rich's family for giving me, the platoon and the entire company the pleasure of having met such an unforgettable man. Rich was cracking bloke who was always up for a bit of banter he would quickly become the life in the group and often the party he would love a bit of J.D. I have never seen someone so keen and determined to become a sniper - you could tell just by the way he spoke of snipers how focused he was on becoming one. In my eyes and everyone else's you are 'The Sniper'. Rich will never be forgotten by his family in the Army, A Company, 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh. We have had the honour of calling Rich Hunt one of our own. Hunty mate, you are a Welsh Warrior. You and your family will forever be in our hearts."

Private Adam O'Donovan, a close friend said:

"Coming out to Afghanistan I really got to know Rich well, we both had a good laugh together and shared the same sense of humour. He would always come out with one liners to get everyone laughing, and to lift everyone's morale. I can remember when we were all talking about safety catches on the weapon, and he came out with "I don't need a safety catch, this is my safety catch" whilst holding out his finger, it was the cheesiest line anyone could come out with and everyone burst out laughing, but we all knew he would say stuff like that just to get a laugh. I hope Rich's family can take pride in him for being such a great soldier, and such a well liked bloke. His death has shocked everyone as we were all hoping and praying for him to pull through, but I know that Rich will never be forgotten and will always be in our hearts."

Secretary of State for Defence, Bob Ainsworth, said:

"Private Richard Hunt's death is a tragedy for his family, friends and all those with whom he served. When I read the tributes made to him it is clear that he was an immensely talented soldier, who took enormous pride in his physical fitness and soldiering. His loss will be keenly fe

Rest in peace Rich
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:20:55 pm by BIGdavalad »

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1337 on: August 17, 2009, 12:24:38 pm »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a soldier from 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers has been killed.

It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Sergeant Simon Valentine of 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers was killed in Afghanistan on Saturday 15 August 2009.

Sergeant Valentine died as a result of injuries sustained in an explosion that happened while on a foot patrol near Sangin, northen Helmand province.

Sergeant Simon Valentine

Sergeant Simon Valentine, or 'Val' to his mates, was born in April 1980 in Bedworth. He joined the Army in May 1997 and started Phase 1 training in Bassingbourn before completing his Infantry training at ITC Catterick and joining the Second Battalion in Celle, Germany, which was an Armoured Infantry unit at the time.

Shortly after arriving in A Company, he completed numerous exercises in Poland and Canada and was hand picked from the battalion to deploy to Kosovo with the RHF in 1999. On his return from Kosovo he passed a demanding JNCO cadre and promoted to Lance Corporal. Subsequently he moved to C Company and redeployed with them to Kosovo in March 2000, before returning and passing the sniper course.

After Kosovo the Battalion re-rolled to a Light Role Infantry Battalion, and moved to North Luffenham in England, where he completed the Close Observation Platoon (COP) course. From Luffenham he deployed on a six month operational tour of Northern Ireland, based in South Armagh. After a short time off, the Battalion redeployed to Northern Ireland, this time to Belfast for public order operations during marching season. In 2002 Val married Gemma, whom he had known since they were at school together. During his time in North Luffenham Val was also involved in covering the Fire Strikes as well as being prepared as part of the Spearhead Battalion to move at short notice.

The next post for the Battalion was Palace Barracks in Belfast, where the Battalion moved in 2003. Here Val joined COP and took part in various target specific anti-terrorist operations. From Northern Ireland Val deployed to Iraq with C Company and on his return was selected to attend the Section Commanders Battle Course which he passed with ease and soon promoted on his return to battalion.

The unit moved again in late 2005, this time to Cyprus, based at Alexander Barracks in Dhekelia. After taking part in Exercise Saffron Sands in Jordan, Val deployed straight from the desert to southern Iraq for three months as part of the Theatre Reserve Battalion commitment. A short Christmas leave followed, and then he deployed to Sangin Afghanistan, as an attachment to C Company from Fire Support Company, where he was part of Drums Platoon. After the tour of Sangin, Val completed the demanding Platoon Sergeants Battle Course in Brecon in late 2007.

In March 2008 the Battalion moved again, to Cavalry Barracks in Hounslow, where they are still based. Here Val was an integral part of Drums Platoon and completed an intensive period of public duties, performing duties at Buckingham Palace, Windsor and the Tower of London. Val returned to A Company and took over as Platoon Sergeant of 2 Platoon at the beginning of November 2008. He trained with the Platoon to prepare them for Operation Herrick 10 from November until deployment in April 2009. A Company Group was attached to the 2 Rifles Battlegroup for this deployment and Val was based with his Platoon near Sangin, where he was tragically taken from us by an explosion on the 15th August 2009.

Gemma, his wife, said:

"Simon, above all else, was a truly loved father, son, husband and friend. To have known him was to have loved him."

His Commanding Officer 2 RRF, Lieutenant Colonel Charlie Calder, said:

"Sergeant Valentine was quite simply an outstanding platoon sergeant. He achieved what needed to be done with a light touch when in camp, and when on the ground he gave enormous confidence to all the Fusiliers with him by his meticulously professional approach.

"He will be remembered for being a central figure in the Corps of Drums, proud to represent the Fusiliers on the forecourt of Buckingham Palace. First and foremost he was a great family man, and it is to Gemma and his two daughters, Chantelle and Niamh, that the Battalion sends its heartfelt condolences."Commanding Officer 2 Rifles Battlegroup, Lieutenant Colonel Rob Thomson said:

"Gritty, indomitable and with a rucksack full of charm is how I will remember Sergeant Valentine, one of my Fusilier heroes. I met Sergeant V. first in Hounslow and he was infectiously upbeat - about everything.

"He was one of those contagious men whose talent for soldiering reassured everyone in the chain of command up and down. Fusiliers adored him; officers relished his field skills, his fun and his outstanding company.

"We will miss him desperately but we know that our loss is nothing compared to that being endured by his adored wife and daughters. They are firmly at the heart of our prayers tonight and for a very long time to come."

His Company Commander A Company Group 2RRF, Major Jo Butterfill said:

"Sergeant Valentine was the sort of Platoon Sergeant that all Company Commanders want. A totally professional, meticulous soldier, whose personal focus and drive masked a genuinely compassionate nature, a wonderful sense of humour and the keenest of eyes for the wellbeing of his men.

"Hugely operationally experienced, he had excelled during this tour, helping to mould an outstandingly capable rifle platoon through example, strength of personality and sheer hard work. We served together for about a year, and I very quickly learned to trust his judgement and honesty; I always felt that if I was talking, and Val was nodding, I was on roughly the right track.

"He was a man of true soldiering talent and real future promise; it was both a pleasure and a privilege to have known and worked with him. His tragic death leaves a void in A Company and the wider Battalion that I know we will find impossible to completely fill. I also know that he would now want - and expect - us to drive on with the job at hand, and to do so in a manner of which he could be proud.

"We will return to work with immense sadness, and in the certain knowledge that our grief is dwarfed by that of his loving wife Gemma, his two young daughters and his wider family. They are foremost in all our thoughts at this terrible time."

His Platoon Commander Lieutenant Chris Danby, OC 2 Platoon A Company said:

"The empty space left by the huge personality that was Val is not something that any of us in 2 Platoon will be able to avoid. As Platoon Sergeant he was outstanding, and he had worked tirelessly over the last four months of this difficult tour to bring the guys home safely at the end of it. It breaks my heart that he will not be one of them. He was every bit the family man, he absolutely adored his wife Gemma and their two young girls Niamh and Chantelle and wouldn't stop talking about them.

"Val had three main obsessions which you would notice every day in the FOB; Superheroes (particularly Superman, going as far as painting a big 'S' sign on the wall, and hanging another one above the door of our room, even putting it on the front of the quad for a patrol on one occasion), keeping things clean and tidy (not one of my strong points) and a twice daily trip to the gym for Op Massive.

"I will miss his cheeky sense of humour, I will miss him telling me he was "awesome" on a practically daily basis, but I will especially miss having him around to talk to at the end of the day. The world is a poorer place without Val, all of us in 2 Platoon will remember and honour him as we see the rest of this tour through. At this awful time my thoughts and prayers are with his family whom he loved so dearly."

Warrant Officer Class 2 Company Sergeant Major (CSM) A Company Wayne Caffrey said:

"It is difficult to put into words how we all feel about Sergeant Valentine. He was an exceptional Platoon Sergeant, a superb example of a soldier, keen, fit and always immaculately turned out. He had a fantastic rapport with his entire Platoon and they all idolised him. He could brighten up any room with his big smile. Sergeant Valentine had an odd fixation with the Marvel comic super heroes and he loved all of that stuff. To us he will always be a super hero. We will miss him so much. Our hearts and prayers go to his wife Gemma and their daughters. God Bless."

Colour Sergeant John McCowliff, OC A Company Fire Support Group said:

"I have known Sergeant Valentine for 12 years during our time in the Battalion. He was a remarkable, outstanding, strong, professional soldier who always seemed to see the positive side to everything he did. He was always willing to give advice to the younger members of the Company and went out his way to ensure his men were well equipped and prepared prior for every patrol.

"Sergeant Valentine was very much a true leader of men, a man every soldier should aspire to be. He was highly respected within the Battalion and will be a huge loss to the front line club.

"Simon it has been an absolute honour to have known you and worked alongside you on operations. you will go down in my book as a legend and good friend who showed no fear just like a true "SUPER HERO". Our thoughts and prayers within the FSG go to his wife and girls at this devastating time."

Sergeant Paul Greenhalgh 3 Platoon, A Company, 2 RRF a close friend and colleague said:

"If you could say that Val was your friend then you were truly blessed. To me he was my best friend never asking for anything in return no matter how much he put himself out. I will never forget you mate. Chantelle and Niamh your daddy will always be looking down on you from the brightest star in the sky."

Sergeant Darren Hanrahan 1 Platoon, A Company, 2 RRF a close friend said:

"Having the pleasure to know Si for many years I could say he has always been a kind hearted family man. This quality was shown in his work; he treated his Platoon like they were a part of his family. He looked after his men and would always put them first at work. Val was a devoted husband and father who always talked about his wife Gemma and his girls. He would always refer to himself as Superman; he had all the memorabilia and had even decorated his Platoon house with the Superman emblem, even taking it on patrol with him. He was a super friend to me and this is how I will always remember him."

Sergeant Carl Harris C Company 2 RRF a close friend said:

"I would like to pass on my condolences over the tragic death of Simon. As a close colleague and someone from the same hometown, he was a real friend who will be sorely missed. It was only just over a year ago we were in the same Platoon on PSBC where he was an inspiration to myself and the rest of the course. Other memories include his heroic efforts on HERRICK 6 where we served together in the defence of Sangin DC, and on the TEZ EX Druids Dance where he received the title of best Section Commander in the Company ahead of stiff competition from 8 other quality Section Commanders.

"On a social level we both shared the same love for Coventry City FC and Leicester Tigers RFC. My heart goes out to all of his friends and family back home in particularly his wife and children. Everyone here shares your pain. He will never be forgotten."

Corporal Richie Manton a close friend recalled their time diving together:

"Above all, I remember Sergeant Simon Valentine as a man who adored his family. His wife Gemma and his two children Niamh and Chantelle meant the world to him. His desire to progress in his career and the Battalion was driven to provide his family with the life they deserve. I've known Simon for nearly ten years and served with him in both B Company and C Company. He always stood out as a soldier that would achieve great things within the Battalion. He always put his soldiers first and this was the case on his R&R when he gave up nearly a week of his leave so his soldiers could get on the last available helicopter to avoid missing any of their leave. A true testament to the kind of man he was.

"In Cyprus we did a scuba diving course together and one moment that always sticks in my head was when he had to go to the surface because he felt sick. While I was on the bottom carrying out my drills with the instructor, we suddenly noticed a school of fish all around us eating on what looked like chunks! When we surfaced we found Si puking up chunks and all the fish were feeding on his sick all around us. He quickly went back to the shore to recover.

"At this time my heart goes out to his family and my thoughts are with his wife and children at this difficult time. Rest in peace pal. You will never be forgotten!"

Corporal Ian Pascall, 2 Platoon, A Company Group said:

"There are no words that I can think of to explain how myself and the rest of 2 Platoon felt about Val. He inspired confidence throughout the Platoon even when times were hard, he made us feel safe and confident just by his mere presence. His sense of humour was infectious. I looked up to him as a truly professional soldier and a man and a very close friend. My heart and thoughts go out to his wife and daughters who he loved dearly and always spoke about. He will be missed but never forgotten."

Lance Corporal Callum Davies and Fusilier Andrew Evans, 3 Platoon, who served with Sergeant Valentine during their time in 2 Platoon:

"Sergeant Valentine wasn't just a Platoon Sergeant he was a person that everyone would look up too. He put the troops before himself every time, everyone who knew him looked up to him and admired his professionalism and the way he did things. Every time he was given a task or job to do he would put 100% into it. He was at his happiest when the soldiers below him were happy. He was always up for a bit of banter! His work throughout his career was recognised and respected by the Battalion. He always led from the front although he respected the ranks below him and trusted them to carry out their responsibilities without interfering. It was just the way Val was; a true leader of men.

"He has many friends at home, within Battalion and throughout the army that will miss him. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, children and family. He will always be in our hearts and I know he will be watching over us. He will never be forgotten."

Fusiliers Lawrie Stevenson, Adam Gregg, Ryan Hyndman, Ricky Wright, Michael Boyce, 2 Platoon, A Company Group:

"Val was without doubt the Soldier to look up to. Top Cracks' - we all aspired to be like him one day.

"In this tough operational environment Val's positive attitude kept us wanting to solider. His Platoon was always welcoming, and his leadership made all of us feel safer and confident about going on patrol. He was inspirational, and without him morale would not have been nearly so high.

"We always trusted his sound judgement, particularly while the chips were down. It seemed that even in the worst of situations Val would always be able to make light of it. He could always see the funny side to everything. Any Platoon would have been lucky to have a Sergeant like Val. It has been an honour to work alongside him; we could not have wished to work for a better bloke. At this time we are all thinking of his wife and two daughters who he loved so much."

Fusilier James Allen, 2 Platoon, A Company Group:

"Sergeant Valentine was one in a million, a true leader and friend. A loving husband and father he was someone you could turn to when you needed help or support. Our thoughts go to his wife Gemma and Chantelle and Niamh."

"He will be missed so much but he will always be a superhero to us all."

Drummer Andrew Miles, A Company Fire Support Group, Drums Platoon said:

"On behalf of the Drums Platoon Sergeant "Val" Valentine was a very big part of Drums Platoon even though he left earlier this year to take up the role of Platoon Sergeant.

"During his time in Drums he was such a respected colleague and friend. You could always count on him having a big grin on his face giggling away regardless of where we were unless the Hulk was released. You could count on him to do anything for you even if it wasn't work related; all you had to do was ask. He would always go out his way to help his friends and get the job done professionally.

"Even though he left the Platoon it was as if he was always there, popping in every now and then to see how the lads were doing. I can speak for the lads when I say a big place has been left in the Platoon, especially in his leopard skin. It's going to take some big shoulders to fill it.

"Sergeant Val you will be very deeply missed by all of us as a colleague, but more importantly as a very good friend. All our thoughts go out to his wife and two daughters during this very sad time. You will always be remembered and never forgotten."

Fusilier Jamie Green-Morris 2 Platoon, A Company, 2 RRF said:

"Sergeant Valentine was one of those people who touched everyone around him and for that he will be greatly missed. He always looked out for 2 Platoon and always did his best to make sure that each and everyone of us were looked after.

"There are not many more words in which to describe how great a man he was and how he will be missed by everyone who had the pleasure to work with him. I don't think that any of us will forget the passion he had for Superman. His family will always have the love and support from 2 Platoon along with the rest of the Fusiliers."

Fusilier Darren Rushton 2 Platoon, A Company, 2 RRF said:

"Sergeant Valentine or Val as he was known was my Platoon Sergeant and a friend. Val is someone I admire and someone I look up to. He always had a smile on his face and when he was around the Platoon house with the lads. When he was around we were happy and morale was always high. Whenever the Platoon was down he would always find a way of making everyone happy even if it meant going out of his way to make it happen then he would. His smile and laugh was infectious and he would often stay up late with the other lads playing Trivial Pursuits which I wasn't very good at and actually neither was he. Val loved his Super Heroes and in my eyes he was a true super hero. My heart goes out to his wife and children who I know he absolutely adored and loved dearly. I will never forget Val and he will be sorely missed. The hole left in 2 Platoon could never be filled."

Secretary of State for Defence, Bob Ainsworth said:

"Sergeant Simon Valentine was clearly hugely experienced; a true leader of men who was admired by all those who served with him. The news of his death is deeply saddening and I extend my condolences to his family, friends and all those who benefited from serving with this excellent soldier."

Rest in peace Val

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1338 on: August 17, 2009, 01:30:48 pm »
Rest in peace Rich
Rest in peace Val

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #1339 on: August 18, 2009, 08:25:04 am »
RIP Hunty
RIP Val

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1340 on: August 18, 2009, 01:52:51 pm »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Lance Corporal James Fullarton, Fusilier Simon Annis and Fusilier Louis Carter, all of 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (2 RRF), were killed in Afghanistan on Sunday 16 August 2009.All three died following an explosion while on patrol near Sangin in Helmand province.

Lance Corporal James Fullarton

Lance Corporal James Fullarton, or 'Fully' to his mates, was born in Coventry in April 1985. He joined the Army in November 2003 and on successful completion of his infantry training at ITC Catterick, was posted to the Second Battalion the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

Lance Corporal Fullarton joined the Battalion in Palace Barracks, Belfast, as the Resident Battalion based there. He patrolled the streets of the city and was involved with public order incidents keeping the streets safe during the marching season. In the summer of 2005 Lance Corporal Fullarton deployed to Iraq for the first time. In late 2005, Lance Corporal Fullarton moved with the Battalion to Cyprus as part of the Theatre Reserve Battalion commitment. During this time he deployed on Exercise Saffron Sands in Jordon and again on Operations to Iraq.

Lance Corporal Fullarton distinguished himself early earning his place on a JNCO cadre and subsequent promotion to Lance Corporal in 2006. His love of sport and fitness saw him drive to undertake and pass the Physical Training Instructors cadre, he was never happier than when he was taking imaginative and demanding training sessions. In March 2008 Lance Corporal Fullarton moved with the Battalion to Hounslow, West London. Here, Lance Corporal Fullarton was to stand proudly outside the Royal Palaces as part of the Public Duties commitment.

In March 2009 Lance Corporal Fullarton was called upon to deploy to Sangin, Helmand Province, Afghanistan, first as a Section Second in Command and latterly as a Section Commander. He was a shining example to his men who all admired and respected him. In June 2009, whilst on leave, Lance Corporal Fullarton got engaged to fiancée Leanne, whom he loved and adored, he was planning to marry her in June of 2010.

Lance Corporal Fullarton's life was tragically cut short in an IED blast on 16 August 2009. He was tasked with leading the Company on a patrol. Lance Corporal Fullarton died doing what he loved and leading, as always, from the front.

His parents, Janice and Peter, and his fiancée, Leanne, said:

"James was an outstanding soldier who was so proud to serve his Queen and country. He touched so many around him and has left a void in our lives that will never be filled. A treasured son, brother, grandson, fiancé, nephew, cousin and friend. Gone but never forgotten."

His Commanding Officer Lieutenant Charlie Calder, CO 2 RRF, said:

"Lance Corporal James Fullarton had established an enviable reputation as a section commander and section 2IC. He inspired confidence in all the Fusiliers around him when operating under the most demanding of circumstances. He will be sorely missed in the Battalion by his many friends. However, it is to his family and in particular his fiancée, Leanne, that every Fusilier in Afghanistan sends their heartfelt condolences."

Lieutenant Colonel Rob Thomson MBE, CO 2 RIFLES Battlegroup, said:

"Lance Corporal Fullerton was a rock to his men. Full of fun, he kept the load out here light by finding mischief around every corner. A pre-eminent soldier, he has been standing very tall under fire and under IED attack. Loyalty was his thing and no-one loved 3 Platoon more than he. He is sorely missed but our first thoughts and prayers are with his family and Leanne, his fiancée, whom he was heart-breakingly due to marry next year."

Major Jo Butterfill, OC A Company Group 2 RRF, said:

"Lance Corporal Fullarton was an excellent soldier and a committed and highly capable junior commander. Monstrously fit, strong and focussed, he had a dry wit and a robustly disdainful attitude to operational hardship and danger that always put him at the very centre of his platoon's collective sense of humour.

"He was a character, liked and admired by all, who could always be relied on to summarise the worst of situations in a few choice words, generate a smile from tired, sometimes frightened men, and then resume the charge with renewed energy. He led, in the best traditions of the infantry, from the very front and by personal example.

"His tragic and untimely death is a terrible loss both to the Company and the wider Battalion. We shall miss him hugely during the remainder of this tour and in the future. All our thoughts and prayers are with his loving family and fiancée."

Lieutenant Alan Williamson, Platoon Commander Three Platoon, A Company, 2RRF, Attached 2 RIFLES, said:

"Lance Corporal Fullarton, Fully, was one hell of a good soldier whom I would have trusted with my own life. A man of immeasurable morale and physical courage he was an inspiration to all who knew him. Fully was fiercely loyal, he loved Three Platoon and was so proud to be a part of this very special group of young soldiers. Fully's soldiers would have followed him anywhere, he was their rock and inspiration during some very testing days out here in Afghanistan.

"So often trusted with the most difficult of tasks, I could always depend on him to back me up and get the job done to the highest of standards. He led from the front providing the most outstanding example to his men, if any young infanteer is looking for a role model then Fully should be it!

"His loss has left a massive hole within our Platoon that will never quite be filled. However, this is nothing compared to how his beloved fiancée Leanne must be feeling; he was so excited at the prospect of marrying her next year. My thoughts are with her and his family during this most difficult of times."

Sgts Matthew Palmieri, Mark Taylor and Cpl Wayne McNamara said:

"Ful-Dog… a strong man who was fit as a butchers dog and a great soldier, at a junior rank commanded respect from all and also gave the respect back. Will be sorely missed by all, our thoughts go to his family. Fallen but not forgotten. Good memories of another great man and… once a Fusilier always a Fusilier. Rest in peace…"

Corporal Scott O'Connell, Section Commander 11 Platoon A Company Group, said:

"I have known Lance Corporal Fullarton for about 4 years but became close friends with him at the start of the Cyprus Tour when I moved to C Company. We instantly became good friends and we had a small group from all over the Midlands that would be partying in Ayia Napa. At every chance, myself, Fully, Shane Hurley and George Cardwell would be on it the second we finished work, and you could guarantee Fully would be the life and soul of the party.

"Fully was one of the most professional soldiers I have ever seen, always happy, loved his job and no matter how hard things got he was never phased he would just say 'I'm not arsed', Fully's famous quote. He had total respect from everyone around him. Fully was loved by everyone because of his attitude to life, no matter if you were a mate he had known all his life or the youngest Fusilier he had never met before, he still made the effort to give you the time of day and help in anyway he could. He was a model soldier and a model friend. He will be sorely missed especially that distinctive laugh! My thoughts go out to his fiancée and all of his family at this hard time. RIP Fully mate, I will never forget you. God Bless x."

Corporal Paul Whiting, 3 YORKS, said:

"Lance Corporal Fullarton, Fully, to me he was a bloke I couldn't say a bad word about, in the little time I knew him, he was an extremely professional soldier and he was an inspiration to all he worked with, and everyone around him looked up to him. He is a tribute to his family and a true hero in the lads eyes. Rest well Fully, God knows, you deserve it."

Lance Corporal Phil Gibbons, 3 Platoon A Company, said:

"Fully, known to his mates as "Fullydog”, was a tough, genuine, strong and courageous man. He was a fantastic soldier, who feared little and always led from the front. If I was to sum Fullydog up – it would be that he was a loyal friend who would be behind you whatever the situation. My heart and sympathy go out to his beloved fiancée Leanne, who he adored so much, his mum, dad and two sisters, family and friends. Fully, you are and will always be a true legend and there will always be a place in my heart for you. I will never forget you – I hope one day we can meet again. RIP friend."

Lance Corporal Callum Davies, 3 Platoon A Company, said:

"Fully aka 'Fullydog', was an absolute legend and a true friend. He was a great leader and I had the pleasure serving as his 2IC. Everything that was asked of him, he did with 100% commitment. Fully will be sorely missed and my thoughts are with his fiancée Leanne, who he loved dearly, and his family and friends. He will always be in our hearts, and he will never be forgotten."

Lance Corporal Kielan Walker, 2 Platoon A Company Group, said:

"I've known Jay all my life since I started Primary School, he was a typical lad's lad always up for a laugh. We used to finish school, then go down the park in Profit Avenue and play football. He was always a very competitive sportsman and wanted to be a winner in everything he did. We lost touch for a while when I moved away, then in training in Catterick we met up again after eight years. It was like we never separated. We both joined the Battalion near enough the same time and since then I've watched him grow into a perfect soldier, proud of his cap badge, proud of his job and glad to be in the Army.

"Fully would always welcome the newest Fusilier to his room for a drink because he never wanted to leave anyone out, this was just typical of him. He classed his Section as his family and brothers in arms. As he used to tell me, I can honestly say he died doing what he loved and all that knew him will miss him dearly. I won't forget you mate all my love to you, your family and your future wife. You were a true Sky Blue fan, CCFC ‘til I die. God Bless mate, Love Kielan."

Lance Corporal Nike Thomas, 10 Platoon C Company, said:

"James was one of the best lads I have ever met. He was always there for his friends. My thoughts go out to all of his family and his girlfriend Leanne."

Fusilier Martin Nolan, 3 Platoon A Company, said:

"To sum Fully up in a paragraph or two is not easy, for the simple fact, there are just too many things to say about him. I remember when I first got to Battalion, he gave me a tour of the barracks, introduced me to his closest friends and made me feel comfortable in my new surroundings. He then said "Do you want a brew kid” a phrase that he would use again, many times as he was a true 'Brew Monster'.

"Fully showed me the ropes and taught me a lot about the Army, he was an excellent soldier and JNCO. J was family, a cousin who became a best friend and a best friend who became a brother, but not just to me, to all who knew him. He hasn't left my side and will never leave my thoughts and heart, we will meet again my friend. Stay strong Leanne, he is watching over you now, protecting you as he always did. RIP Fully, Love Chubbz."

Fusilier John Jones, 3 Platoon A Company, said:

"Fully was great commander, I always looked up to him from the first day I met him, he didn't mess about when it counted on soldiers' lives, he was a professional soldier and always got himself and the section to practise drills, until it became second nature. He always said that he always learnt new stuff, even off the newest Fusiliers in the Platoon. It is a shame we will never have that drinking bet, but when we all go to Cyprus for decompression, we will all have a drink on you. Rest in peace Fullydog. Specky."

Fusilier James Burke, 3 Platoon A Company, said:

"Fully or "Fullydog” to all that new him was one of my closest mates. From the day I got to Battalion, he took me under his wing and called me "Boy Blue”. Its been an honour to have worked and known Fully as well as I have and he is the soldier all of Three Platoon wanted to be. Funny, awesome at his job and always first to speak up for the lads. Fully, you'll never be forgotten mate."

Fusilier Tom Swann, 3 Platoon A Company, said:

How can you sum up Fully on a piece of paper? He was a fearless warrior and a loyal friend. Every Fusilier in the Platoon looked up to him. I spent the majority of the tour in his section and I have witnessed what an awesome soldier he was. It's a tragic shame we'll never get to see him fulfil his dream of being RSM.

"As a mate you couldn't ask for more, he was always there, either having a laugh or talking about home, he was always there to make you feel better. He was unique. The pain felt in the Platoon by his loss cannot be matched by that of his beloved fiancée Leanne, his parents and sisters, my thoughts and prayers are with you all. Full, I love you mate. You're in a better place. See you at the Re-Org."

Fusilier Stanslaus Zvirawa, 3 Platoon A Company, said:

"I have known the distinguished soldier for over one year in the Battalion. He was a mentor, an exemplary soldier, who led from the front. Throughout this Op Herrick 10 Tour, he has been my Section 2IC and when he unfortunately passed away, we were together on the ground. My deepest thoughts go to his family fiancé. May the Lord accept your soul into his hands."

Fusilier Andrew Evans, 3 Platoon A Company, said:

"Fully was a strong, fearless and smart soldier, that could do any task he was given, whether it was Section 2IC , Section Comd or even Valon man, which he did on this tour. He lead from the front and was such an inspiration to the people below him. As a person, he was always cracking jokes and having a laugh with all the lads, he will be sorely missed by everyone that new him and someone that I and many more would follow anywhere. Our thoughts and love now go to his family and fiancée."

Fusilier Tez Scanlon, a close friend from B Company Group, said:

"James was a popular bloke both in 2 RRF as well as back home in Coventry. He was a friend who cannot be replaced. James was big bloke with a big heart to match who always smiled no matter what. He cared a lot about his family and friends. I am finding it hard to come to terms with the loss of a true friend like Fully, knowing when I return he won't be there. I can't imagine how his loved ones are feeling at this time back home. My thoughts and prayers are with his family back at home. Rest in Peace my friend."

Fusilier Matthew Cleaver, Mortar Section, A Company Group, said:

"I have known Fully for over 4 years. When I joined A Company in Belfast he became a really good friend. Not long after he was promoted he joined C Company on OP Telic 6, he rejoined A Company half way through Cyprus and we got even closer. He was one of my best friends, I asked him to be my best man at my wedding. I was in his section on Exercise Saffron Sands in Jordan and I believe one of the best soldiers in the Battalion. My stag and wedding weekend was the best weekend of my life, he said an amazing speech on the day. My thoughts are with his wife to be Leanne. Rest in peace James, I'll never forget you."

Fusilier Hooley, 2 Platoon A Company Group, said:

"Fully as he was called by his friends was a strong and determined man who cared for people and especially those under his command. He was a role model for many of the Fusiliers, an excellent NCO. He always kept things running smoothly, he always had time for a person in need. He will be missed by all."

Fusilier Robert Clark, 10 Platoon C Company, said:

"James, otherwise known to his friends as "Fully” was an extraordinary bloke and everyone's best friend. When I first arrived in Battalion Fully took me under his wing along with his best mate Shane Hurly. Seeing them together was like watching brothers playing. For anyone that knew, loved or looked up to James, this is a hard time to go through, he will be missed dearly and will remain forever in our hearts."

Fusilier Liam Poole, 10 Platoon C Company, said:

"Fully was an outstanding bloke, he was a laugh and had an all round great character. He loved going out with the lads. Whether in work or at home you could always count on Fully to brighten and cheer your day up. You would not ask for more from a friend or colleague. He will always be in our thoughts and so will his family. You will be missed Fully."

Fusilier Tony Manuel, 10 Platoon C Company, said:

"When I first arrived in Battalion, James made it as easy as possible for me to settle in to the Platoon and welcomed us with a barbeque and some beers. He will be missed and I will never forget him."

Fusilier Lewis Collins, 10 Platoon C Company, said:

"I met Fully on my first day in Battalion, he told me he would be in his platoon. I spent the best part of two years working with him. We went on exercise in Jordan together, followed by a tour to Iraq. We were also in the company boxing team together. Fully was very professional, but he would always keep the section or the platoon on their toes and alert because of his pranks and practical jokes.

"He brought smiles and laughter to everyone around him. I will sorely miss you mate and I will never forget you."

Fusilier Simon Annis

Born in Salford in 1987 Fusilier Simon Annis attended Culcheth High School, Warrington, until he had completed his GCSEs. After leaving school his desire to test himself saw him pursue a challenging and varied career when he joined his local Infantry Regiment, The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers aged just 19.

In 2006, he completed the physically demanding Infantry Training course at ITC Catterick ready to embrace the varied lifestyle on offer in the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers. Having completed training he was to move to Cyprus to join the Regiment in a demanding training year where he deployed to Jordan on a tough 6 week training exercise.

From the outset Fusilier Annis was to experience the full range of activities on offer to a young man in the infantry. In his short time in the Army Fusilier Annis has served in Cyprus, Jordan and latterly Afghanistan. It was in Jordan that Fusilier Annis developed his taste for scuba diving. He was able to deploy to Egypt in 2007 and Belize in 2008 to further his diving skills and love of the sport.

Having experienced a plethora of activities he returned to the UK in the early part of 2008 to Hounslow West London as part of a Battalion move. Here Fusilier Annis stood proudly outside the Royal Palaces as part of the Battalion's Public Duties commitment. In February 2009 Fusilier Annis married his beloved Caroline just one month before he was called upon to deploy to Sangin, Afghanistan. Fusilier Annis approached his first operational tour as he did everything else in his life with good humour and a professional attitude.

Whilst in Sangin, Fusilier Annis was an integral part of Three Platoon serving as a Light Machine Gunner. Fusilier Annis sense of humour and positive attitude helped to inspire the men of Three Platoon through some dark days, including the death of his friend and colleague Cpl Joey Etchells. Fusilier Annis was tragically killed on 16 August 2009 whilst evacuating his section commander; it is fitting that Fusilier Annis was there for his friends right up to the end.

Caroline, his wife, said:

"Simon was the perfect husband, son and brother. He will be sorely missed by all of us. He was a true hero who made all of us so very proud and he will always have a place in our hearts. We will love and miss him always."

His Commanding Officer Lieutenant Colonel Charlie Calder, CO 2 RRF, said:

"Fusilier Simon Annis was a larger than life character, and a dedicated soldier. Always at the heart of whatever was going on, it was no surprise to me that he died whilst trying to save his mortally wounded section commander. He should be seen as a shining example to the nation of what selfless commitment really means. The heartfelt condolences of every Fusilier in Afghanistan go to Caroline, his wife of only a few months."

"Fusilier Annis was delightful in addition to being a quality soldier. A huge man, I used to encounter him on my way to breakfast on an almost daily basis and he used to stop me and ask me if I was OK. He had an ever-present grin and used to carry far more than his normal share on patrol. He was always laughing and used to lighten the mood in the darkest of times, often by breaking into particularly tuneless song. He leaves behind Caroline, his beloved wife of less than six months, who will be devastated. Our prayer is that somehow she will find the strength and courage to face this the most unimaginably awful time."

His Company Commander Major Jo Butterfill, OC A Company Group 2 RRF, said:

"Fusilier Annis was an A Company character from the moment he arrived. A quiet, sometimes unassuming personality, his extraordinary, wry sense of humour and his incredible capacity for shouldering more than his fair share of any task nevertheless made him immensely popular across the ranks. If the job of the infantryman is sometimes simply to endure, then Fusilier Annis had that ability, and then some.

"Unshakable by anything the Army or the enemy could throw at him, he was rock-solid under both fire and the privations of operational life, and never to be found without a smile on his face. It was absolutely typical of the man that he died in the attempt to extract a wounded friend from danger. We have lost a truly excellent soldier, and a staunch comrade; the company is immeasurably poorer for his passing. Foremost in our thoughts however, is his new wife Caroline who has lost her cherished husband. Our heartfelt condolences go to her at this dreadful time."

Lieutenant Alan Williamson, Platoon Commander, Three Platoon, A Company 2RRF, Attached 2 RIFLES, said:

"How do I sum up Fusilier Annis in just a few short words? Cheeky would be an understatement, the life and soul of the platoon would not be too far from the truth. During our darkest days out here in Sangin Fusilier Annis has been there to lighten the mood and pick up morale. The man was a delight. Whether it be his jokes and banter or his spontaneous outbreak into song he could always make you smile and forget your troubles – how we could do with him now."

"Fusilier Annis was no joker when the chips were down! He was fiercely competent with his LMG, bragging that he was the 'best gunner in battalion', a statement not far from the truth. He was a soldier who was always there for his friends and commanders, never to busy to stop and talk, he has touched a lot of hearts within the Battlegroup. I spent three weeks scuba diving in Belize with Fusilier Annis a year ago and he was the centre of attention for the entire trip. On his 21st birthday night out in San Pedro he even managed to befriend some American tourists and convinced them to buy him drinks for most of the night, such was the personality of the man."

"Fusilier Annis was a man with a big heart and a bright future, he was a real people person. It's fitting that he died trying to save his friend, right at the front of the CASEVAC party. I shall miss Fusilier Annis and his quirky sense of humour, his mischievous ways and his appalling singing! But this loss is nothing compared to his wife Caroline whom he loved so much. My thoughts and prayers are with her and his family now during these darkest of days."

Corporal Paul Whiting, Section Commander 3 YORKS, said:

"Fusilier Annis was a character, the little time I knew him, he would always make you smile, whatever the situation. He was another legend of the platoon, if not the legend. He was great and very professional. I'm just sorry he won't be able to live out his dreams of becoming a pro poker player. Rest in peace buddy."

Corporal Dan Henderson, 9 Platoon C Company, said:

"I was Simon's Corporal when he was in training at ITC(C). I got to know him very well. He was the light in the Section, he had a cheekiness that only he could get away with. No matter how hard things were, Simon could bring a smile to people's faces. Simon was very caring and full of joy, the world is a lesser place without him."

Lance Corporal Nike Thomas, 10 Platoon C Company, said:

"Simon was one of the funniest lads I have ever met. I was in A Company with him in Cyprus, we would always go out for a few beers together and he would ensure that every night would be memorable. My thoughts go out to all his family and his wife."

Fusilier Tom Swann, 3 Platoon A Company, said:

Si was one of those blokes you couldn't help but love. He was always smiling and taking the piss out of someone. He was one of the few people who could cheer you up. Whether it was with his snide comments, stupid songs or his atrocious beat boxing. He was always the first to complain about things, but when out on the ground he was fearless, always the first to return fire in contact. He knew when to draw the line and always got the job done. The bloke was an absolute legend, the Platoon, Company and Battalion has lost a true friend. Our thoughts now turn to his beloved wife, Caroline and his family. Our deepest sympathies go out to them. Miss ya mate x."

"Simon Annis was one of my best mates. We got to Battalion at roughly the same time and have spent all three and a half years in 1 Pl and now 3 Pl. Annis was a pain in the arse at time, but I wouldn't have changed him for any other way. Going to your stag do was one of the best nights of my life and was gutted I couldn't get to your wedding. Reading your eulogy at your Vigil Service was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but one of the proudest, telling everybody how awesome a friend you were and how much you meant to me and the Three Platoon lads. The good guys always die young and that's an understatement for you mate. Been a pleasure mate and I'm sure you'll always be watching over us, keeping us safe. Gone but not forgotten Si!"

"Si was a good friend of mine, I spoke to him now and then in Hounslow and he made me laugh back then, but it wasn't till we came on tour that I started to know him a lot more. He was always morale for the section and even if he did wind everyone up now and then, he could always take it when the joke was on him. He was a big fan of poker and always loved taking money of us when we lost. Well, rest in peace my friend, and I'll never forget you or the good times we had. Specky."

Fusilier Jay Connolly, 3 Platoon A Company, said:

"'Si' was an awesome soldier and a very loyal friend. If I was to describe Annis in one word, that word would be “legend ”, he would always know how to make you smile, however bad you felt.

"As a friend I couldn't ask for any better than Si. Me and him were going away over Christmas, with the wifey's and he kept saying that he couldn't wait to get minging at the 24 hour bar even though it would only take him two pints. He was always talking about his wife “Caz” who he loved with all his heart. He couldn't wait to spend the rest of his life with her. Si you will always be a great friend. I will miss you mate. My thoughts and sympathies go out to your wife Caroline your family and friends. RIP mate, see you on the other side."

Fusilier Andrew Evans, 3 Platoon A Company, said:

"Si was a person that everyone liked, he had a heart of gold and never had a bad thing to say about anyone, unless it was banter, which he gave out as well took. He always had a smile on his face and had a way of putting a smile on everyone else's face, no matter how bad things were.

"As a soldier, he knew when to be the joker and when to be a soldier, which he did extremely well. He could be given any task, which he would always do, and smiling whilst doing it. He will always be missed but never replaced all our thoughts now go to his family and wife Caroline."

Fusilier Adam Gregg, 2 Platoon A Company Group, said:

"I can't think of many words to describe his sense of humour, which everyone knows was second to none, but if I was to describe him as a soldier and a friend the list is endless. He was honourable, loyal, brave, honest and a true hero, one in a million, just a few that could describe this true hero. He was a true Fusilier and no one could have asked more of him. My thoughts are with his wife Caroline, his family and friends."

Fusilier Craig Ashwell, 2 Platoon A Company Group, said:

"I've had the privilege to have known Simon for about three years since he first rocked up to Battalion in Cyprus. In the time that I've known him he always put a smile on my face. Some of the stuff he would come out with was unbelievable - put it this way, there was never a dull moment with him. He was definitely the joker of the company. He made a lot of friends with his time spent in A Company, you couldn't do anything but love the guy but that was just typical of his nature and the way he did things.

"I'm not just speaking for myself but for the whole of A Company he will be sorely missed and I still can't believe he's gone but I know he will be watching over us all for the duration of our time left in Afghanistan. My heart and sincere condolences go out to his devoted wife Caroline, his loving family and to whom to have known him. Good bye my friend, RIP."

Fusilier Lawrie Stevenson, 2 Platoon A Company Group, said:

"Since the start Annis was one of those characters who always made you laugh and we all loved him when he arrived at Battalion. In Cyprus I got the privilege to know Annis quite well, he had the ability to make anyone laugh with his dry sense of humour and I'm sure that right now he is watching over the Company and most importantly his wife and family. Farewell mate you will always be remembered."

Fusilier Jonathan Hooley, 2 Platoon A Company Group, said:

"Good friend and a brilliant soldier. He was laid back and always had a smile on his face no matter what. Annis kept spirits high and he was always there to listen and give a helping hand. He would put others needs first. He was a brilliant man full of life and will be sorely missed."

Fusilier Ryan Hyndman, 2 Platoon A Company Group, said:

"There are so many words that could describe Annis; that's the sort of person he was, full of character. He was one of the friendliest people to meet in this Battalion and I am privileged to be one of his many friends. His sense of humour was pure morale and he always made me and the lads laugh. He had this cheeky way about him that you just had to admire. It's a massive loss to this Battalion and Regiment. He is in all of our thoughts and our hearts and I can only offer my deepest sympathy to his family and his beloved wife."

Fusilier Daniel Swales, 9 Platoon C Company, said:

"Simon and I first met on a diving expedition. He was a very good diver and was always cracking jokes, messing around and had a smile on his face. He was the life of the group and I will truly miss him."

From all the men at Patrol Base Woqab:

"Fallen but not forgotten. Good memories of another great man and… once a Fusilier always a Fusilier."

Fusilier Louis Carter

Fusilier Louis Carter was born in Nuneaton in 1990. He joined the Army in January 2007, and on successful completion of AFC Harrogate and his infantry training at ITC Catterick, was posted to the Second Battalion the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers in April 2009. He was always eager and proud to be a Fusilier and Infantryman.

On arrival in Battalion, Fusilier Carter was immediately sent out to join 3 Platoon, A Company, attached to the 2 RIFLES Battle Group serving in Sangin, Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Despite the daunting task of deploying straight to a war zone Fusilier Carter adapted himself well to life on operations and very quickly became a respected and popular member of 2 Section, 3 Platoon. A keen footballer, rugby player and cricketer he did not have time to establish himself in any of the Battalion teams. His football form on Op HERRICK 10 suggests he was not far off the mark. He was a keen Coventry City supporter and whenever possible go and watch his beloved team.

Fusilier Carter’s life was tragically cut short when he was killed whilst extracting his section commander whilst on patrol on the morning of 16 August 2009. It is a testament to this young man’s character that in the face of great danger he died trying to save his fallen commander. A young life and fledgling career cut short due to his selfless act in trying to save his friends.

The family of Fusilier Carter said:

"Louis Carter was a loving and caring son to Mick and Denise Carter, and a great older brother to Sam, and younger brother to Lee.

"Louis’s childhood dream and ambition was always to join the Army and ultimately serve his country. His dream was fulfilled but tragically cut short.

"Louis had many, many friends and relatives and was loved by all. He was also very aware of our love for him. We are all so proud of him.

"Louis will be greatly missed by all who had the privilege of knowing him. He will live in our hearts forever."

His Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Charlie Calder, CO 2 RRF, said:

"Fusilier Louis Carter gave his young life just as he was embarking on his career with the Fusiliers. Thrown into to the thick of it right from the start he quickly became a key member of his platoon. He sacrificed his life attempting to save his section commander. This act of selfless commitment from one so young should be a shining example to the nation. His family have suffered a great loss and the heartfelt condolences of all Fusiliers in Afghanistan go to his family at this tragic time."

"One of the youngest men in 2 RIFLES BG, he had been right in the mix from the off. Unostentatious, thorough, he was a meticulous Fusilier who everyone adored and trusted on their flank. He was a bright prospect, quick-witted and full of ideas. Like all his comrades he was thriving on the challenge of this place. There is a gaping hole in our lives left by his death but our first thoughts are for his parents and his younger brother. They are firmly in the centre of our prayers."

Major Jo Butterfill, OC A Company Group 2 RRF, said:

"Fusilier Carter had not long been with A Company, but had already made a considerable impression. Slotting straight into an experienced and battle-hardened Platoon, his obvious soldiering ability and concern for others quickly made him a trusted member of the team. A quiet, considered character, his pride in being a Fusilier and deployed on operations was nonetheless there for all to see. He showed stacks of promise for the future and his death is a monumental loss to the Company. Our thoughts are with his loving family. We will remember him."

Lieutenant Alan Williamson, Platoon Commander, Three Platoon A Company 2RRF, Attached 2 RIFLES, said:

"Fusilier Carter was one of my most junior soldiers but you would have never known this after meeting him. He was a quietly confident young soldier who faced the daunting task of Operations in Afghanistan head on. He was always there to help out his friends whether it be carrying extra kit or just providing them with a comforting word. It will come as no surprise to those who knew him that he was killed whilst helping to CASEVAC his Section Commander. With a calm head and real courage he jumped onto the front of the stretcher with no thought for his own safety."

"Although he was only with the Platoon for a short period of time, Fusilier Carter has touched the hearts of all who knew him. He can be best described as a ‘genuinely nice bloke,'nobody ever had a bad word to say about him. I have no doubt in my mind that Fusilier Carter would have had a long and successful career ahead of him; he was already ahead of the curve. I will never forget this bright and personable young soldier. My thoughts are now with his family who have lost a young son who died trying to save his friends. A true hero, rest in peace."

Fusilier Jake McDougal, 3 Platoon A Company, said:

"Fusilier Carter was a quiet, but bubbly character, who was always there for those that needed him. He was one of my closest friends, along with other members of the Platoon. He always enjoyed going out for a good pint or two, even though it was Worthingtons! Even though he was only a Fusilier for a short period of time, I know he loved being part of the family, which especially showed whilst he was in training. Its very hard to sum up a good comrade and especially a close friend. All I can say is RIP my friend and all our thoughts are with you and your family. Sleep tight mate and I’ll see you soon x."

Fusilier Kenny Cootes, 3 Platoon A Company, said:

"Fusilier Carter can’t be summed up on a piece of paper, because he was a great lad, who always had time for everyone. He was the type of lad to always get on with the job he had been tasked with. He will leave a big hole in a lot of people’s lives and will be missed, but never forgotten by all that knew him."

"I only knew him for the short time he spent with 3 Platoon. He joined us straight from training and made an impression straight away. He settled into 3 Platoon straight away and was beginning to become a valuable member of the platoon, always eating something but always with a smile on his face. Still find it hard to believe you’re gone mate, its been too short a friendship. Like I’ve said about everybody else, you’re gone, but always in our thoughts and minds."

Fusilier Sam Cotton, 3 Platoon A Company, said:

"Although I only knew Carter for a short period of time, we clicked almost instantly. With his bubbly personality and his chubby charm, how could you not become close friends with a character like that, particularly when you live a metre away from each other? He always had a smile on his face, even if he hated the job in hand. All I can say is, it was an honour to have met you friend and you will be in my thoughts until we meet again. Sleep well."

"Louis was the youngest member in our section, but for the short time I knew him, I can say he was always up for a laugh. He never held anything against you and always had a smile on his face. He never once complained about getting ECM on his back and going out on patrol. It is such a shame he had to pass away in the way he did, doing a job he loved. I wish I could have got to know him a lot more, but still he was a good friend, let your soul rest mate. Specky."

Fusilier Matthew Hayward, B Company Group FSG, said:

"Fusilier Louis Carter was a best friend and a great infantryman. All he ever talked about was joining up and making a difference. He was always up for a laugh and always there to talk to if you needed him.

"My thoughts go out to his mum Denise and his younger brother Sam. Fallen but never forgotten, rest in peace, your mate Matthew Hayward."

Fusilier Peter Jewkes, 9 Platoon C Company, said:

"A true mate, beyond mates. He loved his job and going home won’t feel the same without my friend. You will be deeply missed."

From all the men at Patrol Base Woqab:

"Fallen but not forgotten. Good memories of another great man and... once a Fusilier always a Fusilier."

Secretary of State for Defence, Bob Ainsworth, said:

"These three brave soldiers have made the ultimate sacrifice to ensure the security of all of us in the United Kingdom. Their deaths are truly heart-rending and their families are in my thoughts; the loved ones they have lost are true heroes."

Rest in peace Fully, Si and Louis

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #1341 on: August 19, 2009, 03:45:16 am »
RIP lads.  :(

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:26:17 pm by Terry De Niro »

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1342 on: August 19, 2009, 06:37:48 am »
RIP lads...

Offline BSBW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #1343 on: August 19, 2009, 08:55:06 am »
RIP Fully
RIP Si
RIP Louis

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #1344 on: August 19, 2009, 09:36:47 am »
RIP fellas.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1345 on: August 20, 2009, 07:50:37 am »
Rest in peace Si
Rest in peace Fully
Rest in peace Louis

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #1346 on: August 20, 2009, 09:59:36 pm »
Can't find any reports anywhere but heard today via Facebook that a lad who went my school was killed this morning.  :(

RIP Mac.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1347 on: August 20, 2009, 10:02:41 pm »
Can't find any reports anywhere but heard today via Facebook that a lad who went my school was killed this morning.  :(

RIP Mac.

Nothing on the MOD site yet mate, and even they're not normally this slow with updates. Fingers crossed, it could be a very unfortunate mistake. Or a very sick joke.

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #1348 on: August 20, 2009, 10:18:59 pm »
Nothing on the MOD site yet mate, and even they're not normally this slow with updates. Fingers crossed, it could be a very unfortunate mistake. Or a very sick joke.

Yeah i thought that it was strange that nothing has been put up yet.  Hope you're right but there's plenty of condolance posts popping up on Facebook at the moment so i don't know really.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1349 on: August 21, 2009, 07:49:02 am »
If he was killed on Ops mate it would have been on the MOD site already. You could check his name.

Offline rutlandred

• Kopite
  • SOS
« Reply #1350 on: August 21, 2009, 10:40:25 am »
Thank-you

Rest In Peace Boys..

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1351 on: August 21, 2009, 11:48:42 am »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that one soldier from 3rd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment (Duke of Wellington's) and one soldier from 2nd Battalion The Rifles have been killed in Afghanistan.

The soldiers died as a result of an explosion that happened whilst on a routine foot patrol, not connected to election security, near Sangin, northern Helmand province, on the morning of Thursday 20 August 2009.

Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel Nick Richardson, said:

"It is with deep regret that we report the deaths of two soldiers in Helmand province. Our deepest heartfelt thoughts and sympathies go out to the bereaved family, friends and comrades of these brave soldiers."

Rest in peace lads

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1352 on: August 21, 2009, 09:05:24 pm »
Rest in peace boys.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1353 on: August 22, 2009, 07:31:07 am »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that one soldier from 3rd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment (Duke of Wellington's) and one soldier from 2nd Battalion The Rifles have been killed in Afghanistan.

It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Serjeant Paul McAleese, of 2nd Battalion the Rifles, and Private Jonathan Young, of The 3rd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment (Duke of Wellington's), were killed in Afghanistan on Thursday 20 August 2009.

The two soldiers were killed following two explosions that happened while they were on a foot patrol taking place in Sangin District, Helmand Province on Thursday morning.

Serjeant Paul McAleese

Serjeant Paul McAleese was born in Hereford on 18 October 1979. He began his Army training in March 1997 and joined the 1st Battalion, The Royal Green Jackets in August. A natural soldier, he rose through the ranks quickly and found his calling in the Sniper Platoon.

As a Rifleman he completed the demanding Close Observation Platoon course before going on to complete the Infantry's gruelling Section Commanders' and Platoon Sergeants' Battle Courses with distinction.

A keen boxer and rugby player, Serjeant McAleese was fit and unbelievably tough. After tours of Northern Ireland, Sierra Leone, Iraq and Kosovo, he had relished life in Afghanistan and had been outstanding as a Sniper Team Commander in Kajaki.

Recently moved to take over as a Rifle Platoon Serjeant following the injury of a colleague, he had excelled on the streets of Wishtan, Sangin and had been at the centre of so many of the incidents of the last few weeks.

One of the best of his generation, Serjeant McAleese was destined for truly great things. He died in an IED explosion on 20 August 2009 whilst helping to secure a key thoroughfare in the Sangin area as part of providing security for the elections.

Serjeant McAleese leaves his wife, Jo, and his adored young son, Charley, born just a week before he deployed to Afghanistan.

His wife Jo said:

"Mac, my husband, my best friend, my hero. You were an amazing Daddy to Charley and the best husband I could have ever asked for. We will love you and miss you for ever. We will always be so proud of what you achieved in your life and I am so, so proud to be your wife."

Lieutenant Colonel Rob Thomson MBE, Commanding Officer 2 RIFLES Battle Group said:

"Serjeant McAleese was one of the 'big men' in 2 Rifles whose military prowess was the envy of the rest of the Battalion. He had a huge rucksack full of talents - everyone looked up to him and wanted to be in his team. Militarily, there was nothing that he wasn't good at. He was fearsomely fit, a talented shot and a man who saw this campaign in its wider perspective.

"He had been superb in Iraq, our last encounter with the Queen's enemies, and he had stood very tall. Here in Afghanistan he has fought in Kajaki and in Sangin and died as a Platoon Serjeant, the job of all jobs, on election day, helping to give democracy a chance in Sangin.

"He had so much yet to give - he was on the track to greatness and was one of those men who was destined to promote first time, every time. The rest of us mortals could not keep up.

"His energy levels were unrivalled and he extracted the best out of my Riflemen, especially when sat behind his favourite sniper rifle. In the Serjeants' Mess, he was nothing but delightful and full of appropriately insubordinate mischief - always trying to photograph his fellow Serjeants talking to me.

"It was immensely satisfying to out-manoeuvre him once (I only did manage it once) and ensure he was 'snapped' with me.

"We will miss him dreadfully. There is a huge hole in this Battalion now that Mac has gone. And tonight, after a mad day in Sangin, it is taking time to come to terms with his loss. But, Mac, we are back in the fight. In fact we have been in the fight all day - for you as well as for the people of Sangin.

"Our first prayers now are for Joanne, his adored wife, and Charley, his precious boy of only 4 months, whom he talked about constantly. Be assured, little man, your father was a hero and we will never forget him. We will tell you all about him one day and you will be so proud."

Major Rupert Follett, Officer Commanding C Company 2 RIFLES Battle Group said:

"I only knew Serjeant McAleese for 7 weeks, the length of time I have been in command of C Company.

"My arrival occurred at the most difficult of times; the day before 5 soldiers had been killed in action and a further 5 wounded, including the previous Company Commander. With over 3 months left of the tour, I required the Senior Non Commissioned Officers of the Company to demonstrate strong leadership through example and explanation in order to carry the Riflemen through. Serjeant McAleese provided all that and more.

"He was a man that every soldier looked up to and was the first person everyone turned to for advice, which was invariably right on the money . Strong in body and in character he had an easy way with Officers and Riflemen alike. His enjoyment of soldiering was infectious and he relished being on operations.

"He was a natural leader and his Riflemen adored being under his command. There is now a huge gap in C Company that Serjeant McAleese once occupied, and whilst the depths of our sorrow are deep, our thoughts and prayers are with his young family and his friends in these most tragic of times."

Major Ion Hill, Officer Commanding I Company 2 RIFLES Battle Group said:

"Serjeant McAleese was one of those irrepressible larger than life characters who epitomize the spirit of I Company. He was a Rifleman to the core; intelligent, energetic and imbued with physical courage. Blessed with an infectious sense of humour he was at ease in any company and would readily converse with generals, wives and Riflemen alike; they were all the same to him! He made regimental soldiering fun and will be greatly missed.

"Serjeant McAleese was an outstanding soldier, always on the front foot and a true leader in the heroic mould. His confidence and dynamism quickly pervaded all those Riflemen in his charge. He was passionate about sniping and the quality of the Battalion Sniper Platoon is a testament to his commitment and professionalism. I sorely missed his contribution to Company operations when he moved to Sangin.

"But there was also an empathetic, softer side to Serjeant McAleese. He cared deeply about the welfare of his Riflemen and was ever ready to help those in need. It was this selfless side to his character that, without fuss, he graciously accepted the need to move to C Company and take over as 10 Platoon Serjeant from a wounded friend.

"Above all Serjeant McAleese was a strong family man and he was clearly elated to have become a father. Our thoughts at this time are very much with Joanne and Charley."

2nd Lieutenant Rob Hilliard, 10 Platoon Commander said:

"Serjeant McAleese assumed the role of Platoon Serjeant in very challenging circumstances, with a new Platoon Commander at the reins, having seen the previous Platoon Commander Killed in Action and the previous Platoon Serjeant wounded.

"Characteristically, 'Mac' brought his boundless enthusiasm, impressive physical strength, infectious energy, glint in the eye intelligence, years of front line and training experience, as well as his ever present grin and cheek to the task of steeling the platoon. Naturally, the Platoon responded well to this potent mix.

"Serjeant McAleese was killed while trying to get to a fellow British soldier who had been hit in an IED strike - fearlessly fulfilling his role as Serjeant. A role he had excelled at in recent weeks in the most unimaginable of circumstances.

"Working with 'Mac' was a privilege for a junior officer - his astute mind was critical in the planning stages, while on the ground his natural presence provided an all-pervading sense of calm and control in the most adverse conditions. Around the FOB his sense of humour and endless retinue of stories often saw him holding court around the table or his 'scratcher'.

"Nonetheless, it was when talking about his wife Jo and young baby boy Charley that Mac truly lit up - the aforementioned energy and enthusiasm practically spilling over. 10 Platoon's, and my own, thoughts and prayers are with them."

WO2 (CSM) Simon Thompson, C Company Serjeant Major said:

"Sergeant Paul McAleese was a Rifleman through and through. He was keen, fit and well motivated. He said exactly what he thought and he wasn't really fussed if you liked it or not. Invariably there was a well thought out and relevant point to his side of the discussion. He wanted nothing but the best for his Platoon and brought the best out of them.

"He was a Battalion asset and was exceptional as a Sniper, this was where his professional heart was and he took his responsibilities to continue training our Company Snipers very seriously. His medical skill was spot on and I have seen him save lives both here and in Iraq. He brought a lot of combat experience to the Company following a demanding tour of Iraq in 2007. He inspired confidence in his men.

"As the CSM I could not have asked for a more supportive Platoon Serjeant, he gave his support to me and the remainder of Company HQ by the bucket load. He turned what was a very tough task of taking over a badly hit Platoon into a smooth transition which was a credit to him and helped his men through a dark period.

"My heart goes out to his wife Jo, young son Charley and the rest of his family.

"In summary I was glad to have fought with and stood next to Paul in Iraq in 2007 and here in Afghanistan in 2009. He was a bloke that you wanted by your side in a scrap, and he delivered the goods every time. His ability to command a situation here in Wishtan was astounding; he never hesitated to get involved when it counted. He was Swift and Bold and I, for one, will miss him.

"Stand Down Paul, RIP."

WO2 (CSM) Jock Wark, I Company Serjeant Major said:

"Mac was an infectious professional soldier in everything he did. He lived by the Rifles motto of Swift and Bold and was full of life, racing around putting the effort in for his 'Geezers", always wanting them to be the best they could be in everything they did in life. Mac, would never take no for an answer and would always argue his point where his 'Geezers" were concerned.

"He would always speak his mind, and with his infectious cheeky grin, he would generally get his way.

"Mac was the protective Platoon Serjeant you always want. He was brave, courageous in leading his men, and would not expect them to do anything he hadn't done himself. He was always trying to improve in everything he did, whether it was training for peace-keeping or for war. He would always have his Riflemen in the forefront of his mind and would prepare them well for all that was to come.

"I had so much time for Mac. He would be in my office for a laugh and a joke, seeking advice or trying to grab a brew. His sense of humour had me in stitches at times and he would always be there to lighten the mood when things were getting a little grim.

"In the Serjeants' Mess we would put the world to right's over a cold beer with the rest of the Seniors from I Company…and then Mac's grin would appear and it would be Mess Rugby time, game on! That was the time for me to get on the Chesterfield sofa and let Mac with Terry, Al, Stu, and the others crack on, and see who made it through to first parade without injury.

"Mac will be sorely missed by all who knew him, especially his 'Geezers" in the Sniper Platoon, and all of I Company and 2 RIFLES. He was the model professional, a proud loving father to Charley, a dedicated husband to Jo, and a great friend.

"Swift and Bold."

WO2 (CSM) Pete Burney, A Company Serjeant Major said:

"You will meet many people in your life but very few people will stand out and have a lasting impression. Paul was one of the few who did so with his physical presence, cheeky wit and smile and professional manner. Others looked to Paul as an example to follow, young Riflemen are inspired by him and these will be his legacy, as they grow through their careers, having him as their foundation. Paul, so long, you will always be missed, but never forgotten.

"Celer et audax."

Colour Serjeant Stu Chamberlain, B Company Quarter Master Serjeant said:

"I have lost a true friend. A man with such great presence and a massive heart. A mate that was always there for a good bit of banter and to chew the fat about sniping, both our passion, which I will miss dearly.

"A massive void has been made by your loss mate and it will always be there. I will not forget you mate, you were such a good friend to me, Kel and the kids. Gone, but never forgotten.

"RIP."

Colour Serjeant Dave Bell, B Company FSG Second in Command said:

"A hole has been left in our lives with the departure of our brother Rifleman Paul. A true friend, who always had the time of day for anyone. Always at the front, whether being at work or at play. Quick witted, always up for the banter, even if you were on the receiving end. Tea and toast won't be the same without you, mate, your big presence and laughter filling the Mess.

"The Battalion has lost one of its most professional soldiers. Paul lived and breathed sniping - it was his passion. Our hearts go out to his beloved wife, Jo, and their son, Charley, who Paul spent so many hours talking about. Looking at his photos from R&R, you could see his son, Charley, meant everything to him. Paul, I'll miss you mate, you're gone, but not forgotten. Rest in Peace."

Colour Serjeant Danny Leicester, I Company Quarter Master Serjeant said:

"Mac was an infectious man, he knew what he wanted in life and was determined to achieve the highest levels in everything he did. An example of this is when he decided to take up golf and was sure he would master the game in just a few holes.

"This was not to be, as the people who had the great privilege to know him, his, shall we say, fiery temper got the better of him. Needless to say he didn't and just smashed the remaining balls into trees and rough alike.

"I said at the beginning, Mac was infectious and he was. He would be the heart and soul of functions, Tea and Toast, in fact if you were lucky enough to be in his company, you would be sure to laugh for the entirety of the conversation.

"RIP. Our thoughts go out to Jo, his wife, and son, Charley. What we feel now is nothing in comparison to their pain. Charley will grow up knowing his Dad, Mac, was and always will be a legend.

"RIP Mac. Brother."

Colour Serjeant Terry Rafferty, A Company Quarter Master Serjeant said

"I have had the pleasure to know Paul McAleese for over a decade in which time we became very close friends. Both socially and at work, we have always been with each other. As a young soldier he was full of life and always confident in his own ability both at work and with his friends away from the Army. Forever the jack-the-lad, I noticed a life-changing maturity in him when he met his wife, Jo, to the point where me and the lads would rip him for being ' under the thumb '.

"His big ambition was to complete SAS selection and serve at Hereford like his father did before him. After he and Jo had planned to start a family I said his outlook on life would change and when he deployed to Kajaki one of the first things he told me was that his family was the most important thing in his life. I fought alongside Paul in the back streets of Basra where he served with distinction as a Section Commander in my Platoon.

"He looked forward to the challenge of this tour as the Sniper Platoon Commander, although when he was informed in Kajaki that he was going to C Company in Wishtan to become the Platoon Serjeant that had already lost their Platoon Commander and a young Rifleman, he set about his task with the utmost professionalism and he died protecting the Riflemen that he guarded over like a father.

"I miss you Paul, everyone who was fortunate enough to know you will miss you.

"Swift and Bold."

Colour Serjeant Paul Conville, C Company FSG Commander said:

"Mac, where do I start? What shall I say? Paul, when I arrived at The Rifles you were one of the first people I met and it was a pleasure. Those days were short but I shall always remember them.

"In the short time I spent working with you I met a strong willed man who wasn't afraid to say what was right and what he thought, which I always admired. Again we met and a friendship was formed, words cannot explain what I want to say. My last memory is of a thinking Rifleman, leading from the front, fearless and helping others whatever the cost. Til we meet again.

"Celer et Audax."

Serjeant Rob Grimes, Fellow Platoon Serjeant said:

"Since rejoining the Army, I got to know Paul during our time in Iraq and during our time in Ballykinler, as each day passed we became friends and then mates, to the extent that he was one of a few that I classed as a brother.

"We used to spend hours taking the mick out of each other, training in Thai Boxing everyday beating the hell out of each other, meeting for Tea and Toast in the Mess, or in Paul's case, a loaf of toast and a gallon of tea, and giggling like kids at night watching films and videos and playing Xbox.

"During the years we knew each other, he proved what a determined person and soldier he was. He wanted to do Special Forces Selection at every opportunity and he wanted nothing more than to be the best he could for himself and those under his command during Herrick 10.

"During this time he constantly talked about Jo, his wife, whom he loved with every beat his heart gave, and the promise of fatherhood took Paul to another level - he craved the challenge of being the best husband to Jo and father to Charley and, when we met up again in Sangin, before he took over his new platoon, he made me sit through hours of pictures of him and his new son whom he adored with all he had.

"When I heard the news, I was devastated to know that I had lost my friend but also a brother and I will always remember you. Paul, you're a true hero, a word that is used too often, but you are and I will always remember you for that. I will never forget you and I promise to be there for you, Jo and Charley, as you would for me. Take care my friend, may you rest in peace!

'Only the dead have seen the end of war, but the rest of us will continue the fight. Swift and Bold".

Serjeant Tony Norton, Fellow Platoon Serjeant said:

"When you join the Army, people always talk about meeting friends for life. Well, Paul would have been one of mine.

"Paul had too many nicknames to mention but most were about him resembling Wayne Rooney or Shrek. Paul was famous for taking the mick out of people when they messed up but, true to his personality, he could never quite take it on the chin when he messed up himself.

"I know Paul's passions in life were soldiering or, more to the point, sniping and his family. He loved sniping and enjoyed every aspect of the job, no matter whether it was in camp, teaching it or on ops, where he thrived on taking it to the enemy.

"But, the most important thing in his life was his new family. Paul leaves behind his wife, Joanne and his very young baby boy, Charley – who I know was Paul's world.

"Paul was a natural leader also, Paul was an asset to the Sniper Platoon first, then to C Company and his Platoon there, and he will be sorely missed within the Battalion and the Serjeants' Mess.

"I will miss him as a mate, I will miss him as a battle buddy, I will miss him as a drinking partner. He leaves a massive hole in all our hearts.

"Swift and Bold. Gone but never forgotten."

Serjeant Tony 'Pez" Perry, Attached C Company 2 RIFLES Battle Group said:

"Some people are born to be led whilst others are born to lead. Few, however, are followed without question. Every so often you'll meet someone who you know possesses that 'special something'; you can't quite put your finger on it but you know. Sjt Paul McAleese was such a man.

"He was an individual who inspired, not just through his words and not just by his actions, an individual who stood tall amongst his peers simply by being himself, a soldier through and through. Professional, strong, dependable, honest and forthright, he was a Commanding Officer's rock if ever there was one.

"Paul was not just a proud Rifleman, he was a devoted husband and father. I know that clearly after spending many a late night listening to him speaking with love and pride of his adoring wife Jo and their beautiful baby boy Charley.

"Never a man to sit on the sidelines, he led from the front, and was taken from us because of it.

"You will never be forgotten, my friend, your memory will live strong. You will be sadly missed by all that had the honour to know you. Your warrior spirit grows inside us all.

"Sleep well brother. We'll see you in Valhalla."

Serjeant Jaime Moncho, 9 Platoon Serjeant said:

"Paul was an outstanding soldier and an even better friend. Intelligent, fit and determined, he was just simply the best. His character is unsurpassed in any circle he walked in. A true giant of a man in body and in stature, his quick wit and sense of fun is legendary within the Mess and Battalion. He is the only man I know within the Company who had the patience to finish a crossword.

"My thoughts are now fixed onto his new baby boy, Charley, and his wife, Jo, whom he adored and constantly talked about.

"You will never be forgotten. Rest in Peace Brother."

Corporal Edwards, Sniper Section Commander said:

"Paul, you were by far the best soldier I ever worked with. From the first day to the last day, you were always a top bloke. The Sniper Platoon and the Battalion will never be the same. I know that, if you were here, you wouldn't want us to go on too much about you, and to get on with the job, but we can't. You had an impact on so many of us and you deserve the biggest send-off possible.

"I wish your son Charley got the chance to know you more, as we all know you. You would have made a great Dad and seeing you each day, we knew that he was your pride and joy.

"Goodbye mate, you will never be forgotten."

Corporal Sean Kirkham, Section Commander said:

"'Paul Mac' one of a kind! Such a shame and waste to lose such a big character and much loved friend. When Mac came to us, halfway through the tour, 10 Platoon were in a bad way, after the loss of Rifleman Thatcher and Lieutenant Mervis, and the injuries sustained to our Platoon Serjeant.

"10 Platoon were looking for inspiration, we found it within Serjeant Mac. I felt a weight had been lifted as I knew what a top soldier and bloke he was and how much he loved his job.

"At the start of the tour Paul became a Dad, for the first time, to Charley. His family is all he would talk about and what he had planned to do on his return with Charley and his wife, Jo.

"Hopefully Charley will hear stories of his Dad as he grows up, I'm sure there will be plenty, of how strong his father was, and selfless and brave. Mac died trying to save another which is just typical of the man, in selflessly risking himself for another.

"Sad to see you go my friend. Now you're up in heaven with all of our other Chosen Men.

"Rest in Peace my brother."

Lance Corporal Mark Farragher, Sniper Section Commander said:

"Serjeant Paul McAleese was a close friend and larger than life character within the Battalion, well liked and respected within 2 RIFLES. Mac was a fearsome soldier who excelled in everything he did, one of the toughest men you would ever meet in work, yet outside of work with his wife Joanne and newborn son, Charley, he was soft as they come.

"He will be sorely missed in Snipers and the rest of the Battalion except maybe what he called his 'as issue leg shakers ' or his 'li'l shin burners" as he called his tabs (loaded marches), he leaves behind a loving wife, Joanne, and 4-month-old son Charley. God rest your soul in peace.

"You will not be forgotten Mac. Swift and Bold."

Private Jonathan Young

Private Jonathan Andrew Young was born in Hull on 19 September 1990. He joined the Army on 24th February 2008 and completed his training at Catterick, North Yorkshire, in September 2008 before joining the 3rd Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment (Duke of Wellington's) based in Warminster, Wiltshire.

Private Young made an immediate impression for his easy going nature, good humour and faultless manners. In the short time he was in Burma Company he was recognised by all as a popular, capable soldier with great potential.

Burma Company Group were tasked to provide Battle Casualty Replacements for 19 Light Brigade in July 2009 and Private Young was quick to volunteer. He deployed with the rest of his platoon, 6 Platoon, to 2nd Battalion the Rifles on 2nd August 2009.

Since arriving in Sangin, where he and his section reinforced a Platoon still suffering from losses earlier in the tour, he demonstrated all the tenacity and no-nonsense bravery that one would expect from a Yorkshire soldier. Private Young was killed on the Afghan Election Day, 20th August 2009, on patrol near Forward Operating Base Wishtan whilst trying to secure a vital thoroughfare for the people of Sangin.

He leaves behind his mother, Angela; his brother, Carl; his sister, Leah; and his girlfriend Nicola.

His mother and family said:

"John was so handsome. He was a good son, brother, grandson, nephew, cousin and boyfriend. He will be loved and missed by all who knew him. We were so proud of our John, he was our brave heart, our Johnny Bravo. Night night Johnny Bravo."

Lieutenant Colonel Tom Vallings, Commanding Officer 3 YORKS said.

"Private Jonathan Young joined us at the 3rd Battalion, The Yorkshire Regiment in October 2008 just after his 18th birthday. He had already set his mark as a robust and determined soldier who always put his friends first. He had a strength of character that forced him to be at the very centre of events and it was no surprise that he volunteered to deploy at Afghanistan at short notice.

"Private Young had only been in Afghanistan for three weeks when he was tragically killed on patrol in Sangin. Once again, he was selfishly at the forefront of the action a true Yorkshireman: proud, tough and honest. In his 18 years he has made a big impact on those who knew him and served with him. His loss is felt by us all, but none more so than by his family."

Lieutenant Colonel Rob Thomson MBE, Commanding Officer 2 RIFLES Battle Group said:

"Private Young is a hero in my book. A soldier from the Yorkshire Regiment, he volunteered to come to Afghanistan to reinforce my Battle Group. I will always be in his debt. He died on Election Day, helping to give democracy a chance in Sangin.

"He had quickly made a mark in C Company - a bright enthusiast who was a natural soldier, he was right in the mix in his tragically short time here. We will miss him greatly and salute his service. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, whose loss is immeasurably greater than ours."

Major Sam Humphris, Officer Commanding Burma Company 3 YORKS said.

"The death of Private Young has come as a devastating blow to Burma Company. He was a committed and extremely diligent young soldier who, in his short time in the Company, had made a real mark. He was most definitely a Regimental star in the making.

"He was utterly personable, a delight to be in the company of, and his infectious sense of humour made him an exceptionally popular member of 6 Platoon and Burma Company.

"That he managed to marry this sharp sense of humour with a polite and caring nature was to his absolute credit.

"He had a strong sense of duty with energy and enthusiasm in abundance. It came as no surprise to me when he volunteered to serve his country on operations in Afghanistan. That he was killed on the day of the Afghanistan elections marks the sacrifice he has made as particularly poignant.

"I feel honoured to have served with, and commanded, someone of his singular quality. He will be sorely missed by all of us in Burma Company, but never forgotten. God rest."

Major Rupert Follett, Officer Commanding C Company 2 RIFLES Battle Group said:

"Private Young had only been under my command for 2 weeks. He was part of a group of soldiers from the 3rd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment who had flown out to Afghanistan at short notice to act as replacements for soldiers already killed or wounded.

"Private Young had one of the most dangerous roles in Afghanistan. As lead man for patrols he was responsible for finding and confirming Improvised Explosive Devices. As an 18 year old soldier, this was an enormous responsibility to bear on such young shoulders. He was fully aware that IEDs have accounted for the bulk of our casualties, and yet the bravery and courage he displayed was humbling.

"Private Young was part of my close knit band of proud Yorkshiremen and although his time in Afghanistan was short, he made a lasting impression. Our sorrow at his tragic loss will be nothing compared to the grief of his family and friends and my thoughts and prayers are with them at this darkest of times."

Captain Doug Hayton-Williams, Second in Command Burma Company, 3 YORKS said:

"Although Private Young was new to Burma Company, he quickly impressed his peers by showing outstanding commitment to his job through his professionalism and unflinching reliability. He particularly impressed me with his positive attitude when faced with deploying to one of the most notorious areas of Helmand province, by volunteering to go with his comrades – such was his loyalty.

"His strong personality was evident from the moment he arrived, fitting in well with the soldiers and rapidly establishing himself as an effervescent and affable young man within the Company.

"He was killed doing the job he loved amongst his mates and proudly serving our country. He will never be forgotten. My deepest sympathies are extended to his family and to his friends."

Lieutenant Rob Taylor, 6 Platoon Commander said:

"A hugely capable and conscientious soldier, Private Young was relatively new to Burma Company and had just missed out on deploying to Baghdad with Alma Company.

"He was very much looking forward to deploying to Afghanistan with his friends. His easy going polite nature and quick sense of humour made him very popular in the Platoon. Fit and strong, Pte Young was a keen sportsman who enjoyed his football and rugby league. Youngy treasured the friendships he made in the Army and was incredibly loyal.

"He will be missed by all in 6 Platoon and in Burma Company. A genuine and sincere man, Youngy will leave a huge gap in the lives of all who knew him."

2nd Lieutenant Rob Hilliard, 10 Platoon Commander said:

"Private Young arrived in theatre and came to reinforce 10 Platoon after losses earlier in the tour. Along with his colleagues from the 'Yorks' he impressed with his enthusiasm, strong work ethic and willingness to adapt to a challenging new environment and ever evolving tactics at very short notice.

"Private Young stood out amongst his peers in terms of aptitude, skills and concentration and was in turn given the responsibility and burden of clearing routes in an IED heavy patch. In the course of fearlessly carrying out these duties he was tragically killed.

"Private Young was another young soldier indiscriminately targeted by this most evil of enemies. I know his loss will be sorely felt by his fellow Yorkshiremen and his fortitude long remembered and respected by the Riflemen of C Company. Our thoughts and prayers rest now with his family and friends."

WO2 Mick Clarke, Company Sergeant Major Burma Company, 3 YORKS said:

"Pte Young joined Burma Company prior to our deployment to Afghanistan. He had been disappointed to miss out on deploying with Alma Company to Iraq.

"From the very start of our pre-deployment training he demonstrated himself to be a very robust, bright and talented young soldier with a great deal to offer. He displayed a huge amount of enthusiasm, was very eager to deploy on operations and serve his country and enjoyed the respect of his commanders and peers alike.

"He had a first class sense of humour and had settled in very quickly to the Company. He clearly had the ability to go far in the Army and his loss is deeply felt by everyone in the Company. We will miss him. Our thoughts are with his family at this very difficult time."

Sergeant Steven Harrison, Section Commander said:

"Private Jonathan Young was an enthusiastic and bright soldier. Although he was originally in Alma Company, his infectious personality attracted friends immediately. After only a few days in Burma Company, Private Young had fitted in with the rest of the Burma Lads and wherever you heard laughter, you could be sure to find Private Young in the middle of it, which is where he loved to be – with the guys who had come to respect him, not just for his love of life but also for his professionalism.

"Private Young had volunteered to be the lead man for his section, possibly the most dangerous job out here in Afghanistan. He put the lives of his comrades before himself, clearing the routes of IEDs in alleyways and compounds so the rest of the men could advance safely. He displayed immense courage every time he stepped out the gate.

"Private Young will be missed by every one of my men. He loved life and lived it to the full with energy and enthusiasm. I hope he can now find peace. The thoughts of all our men here in Wishtan are with his family and friends at the passing of Jonathan Young.

"Rest in peace brother."

Corporal Paul Whitting said:

"Private Young, or Heinz as some people knew him, was a character who always tried his hardest to make your morale higher whatever the situation and I know he would have done this until he couldn't do it any more."

Private Sam Granger said:

"The first time I met Youngy was in Bristol; we had both missed the train to get back to Battlesbury Barracks. We got on straight away. He was great fun to be around and was always a good laugh. We were both looking forward to going on holiday when we got back from the tour with some of the other lads from Burma. He was a good mate right from the time I knew him and he will be really missed by all the lads in 3 YORKS."

Private Sam Williams said:

"I have known Private Jonathan Young all his Army career, he started off in A Company and we hit it off straight away. He was a well mannered lad from Hull who didn't have an aggressive bone in his body. We would always go down town and he would make me laugh with his 'chicken dance' which he couldn't do!

"He was a young, bubbly lad with a random sense of humour. We both moved to B Coy together, carried out Pre-Deployment Training together and couldn't wait to go on tour. When we got out here Youngy was made the Lead Scout and, although nervous on his first patrol, he told me after that he got a buzz from doing it.

"That's Young's sense of humour coming out. He was a decent bloke both in and out of work and always sensible – he kept me out of trouble a lot! I feel for his family and friends and girlfriend who have lost someone so great and fun loving. I will miss Youngy massively, and I'm sure that all of B Company will miss him too. We've lost a great friend and a great soldier.

"Rest in peace Youngy."

Private Tom Clews said:

"Private Jonathan Young, or Youngy as he was known to all the lads, was a proper lad within our Platoon and Company, although he had previously been in Alma Company with my twin brother. This is where I first saw his big smile and instantly got on with him.

"He was always smiling no matter the situation and was a real inspiration to be around. When you were down Youngy would always pick you up and do anything for you. He would go out of his way to ensure everyone around him was OK. When he got here and was told he would be the Lead Scout, in typical Youngy style he cracked on and didn't bat an eyelid. He stepped up to the most important role in the Section and even used his own time to perfect his skills and drills in the evening to ensure he was properly prepared.

"He would never do things by half and that attitude made him a good soldier. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and families at this time and I will never forget his big smile and his weird sense of humour. I will treasure the memories I have of him and the laughs we had. You will be sorely missed Youngy but never forgotten."

Private Lawrence Hill said:

"Youngy was new to Burma Company. He had been in Alma Company for about a year and a half, when he moved to Burma and he instantly made friends. A real good lad who loved to have a laugh and a good time, loved to go out drinking and socialising with the lads. He was an amazing bloke. Never without a smile on his face and extremely brave. He was loved and will be missed by everyone."

Private Chris Higgins said:

"Private Jonathon Young, but known amongst the lads as 'Youngy'. We did not know Youngy for that long due to the fact he moved to our Company a few months ago, but in those few months we knew him I can tell you that Youngy really was one in a million.

"He had a weird sense of humour, would always make you laugh and the fact he would do anything for his friends and we know he died doing the job he loved. I know everyone says that but he actually did. He was a Lead Scout with all the responsibilities that gave him and he did it brilliantly. We still cannot believe he has gone but he knew that he was loved and will be missed by all, and our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Private Young.

"Gone but not forgotten."

"Serjeant Paul McAleese was clearly a man of huge charisma and talent who was immensely popular and well-liked by his comrades, who regarded him as a truly inspirational leader. He died fighting to bring democracy to people in Afghanistan, I know he will be sorely missed by all of his colleagues and friends, but most of all his family.

"Private Johnathan Young was a soldier who made a great impression on all of those he met in his time in Afghanistan. The loss of these two fine men is deeply saddening and I extend my heartfelt condolences to all of those affected by their deaths."

Rest in peace, Mac and Youngy

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #1354 on: August 22, 2009, 09:33:52 am »
RIP Mac
RIP Youngy

Offline BSBW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #1355 on: August 22, 2009, 11:38:26 am »
RIP Mac,
RIP Youngy

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1356 on: August 22, 2009, 07:26:17 pm »
Rest in peace Mac
Rest in peace Youngy

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1357 on: August 23, 2009, 04:01:03 am »
RIP boys..

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1358 on: August 26, 2009, 07:36:48 am »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a British soldier from 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers died at the Royal College of Defence Medicine, Selly Oak, today, Tuesday 25 August 2009.

The soldier died from wounds he sustained in an explosion while on a foot patrol near Sangin in Helmand Province on the evening of Saturday 15 August 2009.

Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel Nick Richardson, said:

"This fine British soldier made the ultimate sacrifice and his passing is mourned by the Task Force. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and comrades at this very sad time."

Next of kin have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before any further details are released.

Rest in peace Fusilier

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1359 on: August 26, 2009, 08:58:33 am »
Rest in peace Fusilier.