Author Topic: British casualties in Iraq/Afghanistan etc.  (Read 296403 times)

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: British casualties in Iraq/Afghanistan etc.
« Reply #1280 on: July 23, 2009, 08:23:09 pm »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a soldier from 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, attached to 1st Battalion Welsh Guards, was killed in Afghanistan today, Wednesday 22 July 2009.

It is with great regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Guardsman Christopher King, of 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, was killed in Afghanistan on 22 July 2009.

Guardsman King died whilst serving on operations in the Nad e Ali District in Helmand Province. He was serving as a rifleman with Number 2 Company, 1st Battalion Welsh Guards.

He was part of a Section of Coldstream Guardsmen who had been attached to the Welsh Guards since the end of last year, and who have been working with 2 Company throughout.

Guardsman King was working as part of a team responsible for the protection of vehicle patrols, which involves checking vulnerable points are clear of danger.

On the morning of his death he was on such a patrol on Operation PANCHAI PALANG and was on foot clearing a vulnerable point when an Improvised Explosive Device detonated. He died immediately from the injuries caused by the blast.

Guardsman Christopher King

Guardsman Christopher King was born on 1 June 1989 in Birkenhead, near Liverpool. He joined the Army and, on passing out of the Infantry Training Centre, Catterick, in August 2008, he joined Number 3 Company, 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards.

He quickly completed a sharp-shooter's course, and took part in tactical exercises with the Battalion. At the end of the year he took part in state ceremonial duties in London. In early 2009 he volunteered to serve with 1st Battalion Welsh Guards for a six-month operational tour to Afghanistan.

Although his time with the Welsh Guards was short, he had settled in well and quickly become a popular member of his platoon. He had hoped to complete a sniper course on his return to the UK, one of the most demanding challenges he could volunteer for. He had great potential, and will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

Guardsman King lived in West Buckland, Somerset. He was unmarried.

Guardsman King's family paid the following tribute:

"Chris was a tremendous son, he was proud to be a Guardsman and died serving his country doing a job he loved. We are very proud of the fact that Chris was prepared to do his duty, helping to secure a lasting peace and provide stability to the people of Afghanistan.

"We are devastated by the loss of Chris, who was a loving son and ask that the media respect our privacy and allow our family to grieve in peace."

Lieutenant Colonel Charlie Antelme DSO, Commanding Officer 1st Battalion Welsh Guards, said:

"Guardsman King will be remembered by all his friends within the Battalion as a consummate professional, undeterred by danger or hardship, who brought great spirit and humour to every task asked of him.

"The words of his brothers-in-arms from the Welsh Guards and beyond are a lasting tribute to this exceptional soldier, fearless character and ever-cheerful friend. Our thoughts are with his Regiment, the Coldstream Guards, his many friends and of course, most importantly, his family who will be feeling his loss so keenly."

Lieutenant Colonel Doug Chalmers MBE PWRR, his battle group commander, said:

"Guardsman Chris King was every inch a Coldstream Guardsman. Although very proud of his own Regiment he had fitted easily in to No 2 Company, 1stt Battalion Welsh Guards, earning respect at every turn as a professional young soldier with a resilient sense of humour.

"He was energetic yet reliable and lived life to the full. We are poorer for his loss and our thoughts are with his family who will miss him the most. We will not forget him."

Lieutenant Colonel Toby Gray, 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, his Commanding Officer, said:

"From the moment he joined the Army, Guardsman Christopher King constantly showed a desire to challenge himself and improve his professional ability with the aim of becoming the best soldier he could.

"On arrival with the 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards in August 2008 it was clear that he could not only hold his own amongst a group of experienced soldiers but that he could also lead the way with his dedication and ever present appetite to learn.

"The first real clear evidence of this ability and willingness to subject himself to a challenge came just two weeks into his time with the Battalion when he volunteered to do the sharp shooters course with the aim of becoming a company sniper.

"A job requiring considerable shooting ability and intelligence, it forms a vital role in the performance of a company on operations. It is testament to his natural ability that Guardsman King passed this course easily, something which not only made him a highly valuable asset throughout his Company's numerous exercises, but also identified him as a future non-commissioned officer.

"Not satisfied with these challenges, on hearing that volunteers were required to augment the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards for Operation HERRICK 10, Guardsman King immediately volunteered.

"When asked about whether he had thought through the implications of his decision Guardsman King was quite clear; he joined the Army to challenge himself and to be a soldier - Afghanistan would give him that opportunity.

"Guardsman King will be remembered by all the soldiers of the 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards as a bright, cheerful and inquisitive young man who dedicated his military life to being the best soldier he could be, putting himself second and seeking out challenges to ensure he got the most from life.

"My deepest condolences go to his family, his friends and his fellow soldiers from 1st Battalion Welsh Guards now serving in Afghanistan."

Major Henry Bettinson, his Company Commander, said:

"Guardsman King showed tremendous spirit by volunteering to serve with the Welsh Guards in Afghanistan. Some might view an Englishman joining a sister battalion, fiercely proud of its Welsh heritage, as a daunting prospect. But Guardsman King was fearless.

"How quickly he settled into the Company says less about how we welcomed him, but more about how he went out of his way to meet us, his new colleagues.

"He arrived in the battalion last year and quickly established himself during our pre deployment training as someone who was more than capable of holding his own.

"He was a robust, energetic, uncomplaining and reliable young man who had a sense of fun. His dry sense of humour often surfaced in conversation. Our thoughts are with his family at this very sad time. He will not be forgotten as we continue to remember him."

Colour Sergeant Shane Pullen, his Company Sergeant Major, said:

"The Welsh Guards are lucky to have worked with such a fine Guardsman. He was a man who was a pleasure to command. He was a key individual within the close team in which he worked.

"His character was one that would always keep the morale high during the difficult times. He will be sorely missed by us all."

Lieutenant Charles Fraser-Sampson, his Platoon Commander, said:

"Often seen laughing and joking, Guardsman King was never downbeat and he would use a dry and dark sense of humour to alleviate the danger that is so often faced by Guardsmen on operations.

"His calm and mature nature gained him instant friendship amongst his Welsh 'Band of Brothers'. He had planned on becoming a coveted sniper, which appealed to his stalking skills, honed as a gamekeeper before he joined the Army.

"The Coldstream Guards can feel rightly proud of the skills, fitness and attitude that Guardsman King displayed whilst serving with a different Foot Guards Battle Group.

"His family will no doubt be absolutely devastated by his death, but hopefully in time may take solace from the way in which he served his country. He will not be forgotten by those who fought alongside him."

One of his Section Commanders, Lance Corporal Sam Marsh, said:

"Guardsman King fitted right in to the Platoon despite the fact he was from another regiment. He was a great person to be in command of because he just cracked on with any task you gave him without complaint.

"He had a unique sense of humour and a brilliant outlook on life. He was an Honorary Welshman."

Another Section Commander, Lance Corporal Scott Powell said:

"Guardsman Christopher King fitted into Number Two Company very well. He was a fit and keen young lad who had a lot of enthusiasm and ambitions in life. He was a good laugh and always brought a smile to my face.

"When I first met Chris he came across as a quiet lad but a week later he soon came out of his shell and became a popular bloke in the Welsh Guards. He will be sorely missed by me and everyone else that knew him. My heart goes out to all his family and friends."

Guardsman Ben Hellyn COLDM GDS said:

"Chris King was a very close friend of mine inside and outside work. He was the best friend that anyone could wish for. He was a great laugh and had a great sense of humour.

"We came across to the Welsh Guards not knowing what to expect but I knew as long as the two of us stuck together, with his sense of humour he would make us, the attached Coldstream Guards, feel welcomed and we'd settle in pretty easily.

"Outside work, he had a passion for his gamekeeping and loved his hardcore rave music. I will sorely miss him and love him forever."

Guardsman Samuel Williams said:

"He was a gleaming bloke. It won't be the same without him. He loved going clubbing. I'm going to miss him and we love you mucka."

Guardsman Steve Goss said:

"Chris King was an awesome guy. I didn't really know him as much as his Coldstream Guards mates, but for the time I did know him when he came to our regiment he was a good lad when he got to know us.

"He was the one who would take the Mickey out of people. There was so much stuff he wanted to do and become. He liked his bikes and fishing. He was an all-round good bloke.

"He will be sadly missed and loved by his mates and family and the boys who knew him in the Welsh Guards. King, I miss you pal and the jokes about loud Welshmen."

Gunner Aaron Carmichael, 40 Regt RA, said:

"I didn't know Chris for long, however in the last three days we had returned to Camp Bastion and I had spent a lot of time with him there. He was staying in the same room as me so we often talked at night about home, friends and work.

"Guardsman King was full of life with a lot of great banter and laughs in him and he was always showing why the lads liked him and enjoyed his company. When on patrol, he was always working and he always showed absolute professionalism in everything he did."

His friends from Number 3 Company back in the UK, paid the following tributes:

Sergeant Richard Gundill, Pl Sgt No 9 Pl, 3 Company, 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards said:

"Guardsman Chris King joined the Platoon in August 2008 in Windsor and as soon as he joined he made an impact with his humour and having the crack with the boys and recounting his funny stories of his weekends.

"He was a keen soldier in the field and was selected to do the sharpshooter course - he even raised a few eyebrows in the Sniper Platoon. He was a good shot and his field craft was 'on the ball' - possibly because he had been a gamekeeper before joining up.

"On TESEX [Tactical Effects Simulation Exercise] he was deployed as a member of the Fire Support Group - he was in his element.

"The rest of your old Platoon feels your loss very deeply but are resolved to carry on doing the same good work you had started. God bless you and our thoughts are with your family at this sad time."

Guardsman Don Wall said:

"Chris King will never be forgotten. One of my five best friends - we went through training together, we got off the train in Windsor and joined the Battalion together, we stood outside Buckingham Palace and St James's Palace together and we complained on exercise together.

"Love goes out to his family who have lost a brilliant brother and son. I'll always have you in my heart Chris. RIP."

Guardsman Chris Fletcher said:

"I knew Chris from the second day of training - the second day was due to him being late! That sums him up really - chilled out. He never rushed and never stressed. He took life on the chin and cracked on.

"We went through training together, on the town together and on to Battalion together. He was in my Platoon in 3 Coy and my close circle of friends.

"Chris King was constant morale no matter how bad it got - it was an honour to know him and be his friend. Chris was a great bloke who I will always miss and never forget."

Guardsman Sean Sykes said:

"My most distinct memory of Chris was his dry and often cynical sense of humour. Chris had a way of seeing the lighter side of all the Army threw at him and carried out his duties with a steadfastness that not only singled him out as a superb Guardsman and solider, but also as a dependable and loyal friend. My thoughts are with his family at this time. He will be sorely missed. RIP Chris."

Guardsman Daniel Tomelty said:

"Chris will always be a great friend of mine. Anyone who knew him would instantly want to spend more time with him because he had a great sense of humour and a spark about him to make anyone feel better about themselves.

"I first met him at Catterick and he passed out a few weeks before me - but then I met up with him when I got to Battalion. That was good because I was nervous about going there - but knowing Chris was there made it a lot easier for me. I will miss him."

Guardsman Richard Pinkney said:

"Chris King was a good friend and a good soldier; I knew him from the first day of training and since then he never ceased to amaze me.

"He always brought morale to the lads when they were down and was always up for a little bit of banter. He was a true character and will live on in our lives and will never be forgotten by those who were around him. RIP Chris."

Guardsman Andrew Nichols said:

"Chris King was a great friend and a great soldier. When morale was low he always managed to get the lads laughing and smiling again. Everyone in 3 Company loved him, and will miss him - he will never be forgotten. RIP Chris."

Guardsman Damien Mclean said:

"Gdsm Chris King was a good mate and a pure good soldier - he had such charisma. My condolences go out to his family and friends - we have lost a good friend and an asset to the Battalion - he will be sorely missed."

Guardsman Nick Witham said:

"Chris was one of the funniest, charismatic members of the Company - and he was brilliant banter and morale for the lads. His original wit and ability to make jest of bad situations will be sorely missed by everybody. He will never be forgotten."

Guardsman Ricky Hudson said:

"A good bloke and a great friend you knew how to have a laugh with the lads no matter what was going on around. The Welsh Guards were very lucky to have had you - rest easy RIP Chris King."

Guardsman Grant Feast said:

"Chris was a great friend and would always be the one to make the lads laugh - no matter what the situation. He will be sorely missed and never forgotten."

Secretary of State for Defence, Bob Ainsworth said:

"In his short length of time in the Army, Guardsman Chris King proved himself to be a popular and very capable soldier with a bright career ahead of him. I was very saddened to hear of his death and my thoughts are with the family, friends and colleagues whom he leaves behind."

Rest in peace Chris. Another local lad gone, too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:26:33 pm by BIGdavalad »
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #1281 on: July 23, 2009, 09:03:55 pm »
Rest In Peace Chris
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1282 on: July 24, 2009, 06:52:59 am »
Rest in peace Chris.
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1283 on: July 25, 2009, 02:53:21 pm »
Royal Artillery soldier killed in Helmand
A Military Operations news article

25 Jul 09

It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a soldier from 40th Regiment Royal Artillery (The Lowland Gunners), attached to The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland, has been killed in Afghanistan today, 25 July 2009.

The soldier was killed as a result of an explosion that happened whilst on a vehicle patrol in Lashkar Gah District, central Helmand Province, this morning.

Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel Nick Richardson said

"He was one soldier, who was here for one cause, to help the Afghan people. This true hero paid the ultimate sacrifice and his memory will live with us forever. We mourn his loss and our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this very sad time."

Next of kin have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before further details are released.

Rest in peace Gunner.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1284 on: July 25, 2009, 03:43:13 pm »
Rest in peace Dropshort.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1285 on: July 26, 2009, 08:37:57 pm »
Rest in peace, brave soldiers.

Got another friend off to Afghanistan tomorrow with 3 Yorks (Duke of Wellington's Regiment), praying for a safe return.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 08:40:10 pm by ۩ Imperator ۩ »
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1286 on: July 27, 2009, 04:33:24 pm »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a soldier from 40th Regiment Royal Artillery (The Lowland Gunners), attached to The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland, has been killed in Afghanistan today, 25 July 2009.

It is with great regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Bombardier Craig Hopson from 40th Regiment Royal Artillery (The Lowland Gunners) was killed in Afghanistan on Saturday 25 July 2009.

Bombardier Hopson was killed when the Jackal vehicle in which he was travelling struck an improvised explosive device while taking part in Operation PANCHAI PALANG.

Bombardier Hopson was part of a patrol in the Babaji area of Helmand province, tasked to recce a suitable area for a polling station in the forthcoming Afghan presidential elections.

Bombardier Craig Hopson

Bombardier Hopson was born on 11 March 1985 in Castleford, West Yorkshire, and attended Castleford High Technology College before deciding that he wanted a career in the Army.

He joined 40th Regiment Royal Artillery (The Lowland Gunners) on 28 August 2002 after completion of his basic training at Pirbright and phase 2 training at Larkhill, Wiltshire.

After an initial tour in 129 (Dragon) Battery, he was posted to 38 (Seringapatam) Battery where, as an Observation Post Assistant, he very quickly established himself as a core member of the team.

Having previously completed operational tours in Iraq and Cyprus, he completed pre-deployment training for Afghanistan and subsequently deployed to Kandahar in March 2009 as Second-in-Command of a Fire Support Team, attached, with his battery, to The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland (3 SCOTS).

Known to colleagues as 'Hoppo', Bombardier Hopson was a larger than life character and always at the centre of the action. Be it in the thick of the fight in Afghanistan on one of numerous Black Watch operations, or back in barracks with his mates, his contribution was always characterised by good humour and the often painful honesty of a proud, steadfast Yorkshireman.

On operations, his role as Second-in-Command of a Fire Support Team was a vital and challenging one; the need to provide timely, accurate and overwhelming artillery and air support to ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) troops, balanced with the need to minimise collateral damage and civilian casualties, can often be a difficult equilibrium to achieve.

In finding this balance, as in the technical and tactical aspects of his application of gunnery, Bombardier Hopson excelled; he was truly in his element. A man of tremendous moral courage, he understood the consequences of his actions and the effect that they may have on the wider campaign and the people of Afghanistan, knowing that it often took more bravery to choose not to engage a target.

That he had the fortitude to apply this courageous inactivity under pressure and under fire was a mark of the man.

In addition to his considerable professional skill as a Joint Fires Controller, Bombardier Hopson was a talented sportsman, having represented the Army at rugby league. He leaves behind his mother Lynn, partner Eleanor and their three-month-old daughter Amelia.

Bombardier Hopson's family paid the following tribute:

"Craig was the light in so very many lives. The light has now gone out. His family and many, many friends will love him and miss him forever. Craig the legend. Our Craig has left a hole in our lives that no-one else can ever fill. He was loved so much."

Lieutenant Colonel Owen Adams, Commanding Officer of 40th Regiment Royal Artillery, said:

"Bombardier Hopson was part of the fabric of my regiment, known to everyone as a man with an enormous personality and a huge heart. He had that rare quality of being able to inject his own brand of gruff Northern humour into any situation, always at ear-splitting volume, generally at the expense of his superiors in the regiment, but always in good spirit.

"A talented sportsman, he gave no quarter on the rugby field and expected none in return, and this characterised his approach to life and conduct of operations in Afghanistan, yet, for all his tenacity and uncompromising nature, he displayed a humility and compassion that only served to endear him further to those who were privileged to know him.

"The quality of a man's life cannot be measured in days or years, but by the memories left when they are gone. Those touched by the life of Bombardier Hopson are left with the anguish of his loss but are consoled by their memories of him.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his mother Lynn, partner Eleanor and daughter Amelia at this unimaginably distressing time."

Lieutenant Colonel Stephen Cartwright, Commanding Officer, 3 SCOTS Battle Group, said:

"Bombardier Craig Hopson had made a huge impact in the Battle Group for the year we have all known him. He was a big man in every sense: a huge character, great fun and professionally immensely talented.

"He was with us in Kenya on exercise, across England and Wales during our operational training, and of course here in Afghanistan. A booming English voice amidst the Scots majority, he gave and received banter in abundance and he contributed enormously to the team spirit required in a Battle Group on operations.

"He died at the very front line of Operation Panther's Claw in Babaji, as the most forward artillery observer in the entire brigade. He was part of a patrol looking for a polling centre for the Afghanistan presidential elections next month. He has given his life for his friends, for the Battle Group and his regiment, and for the people of Afghanistan so that they may have a better life.

"'Hoppo' was so proud of his newborn daughter and we cannot begin to imagine the hole that has been left in Eleanor's and Amelia's lives. Amelia will never know her father; our lives have been made richer by him in every way and I hope they can take some comfort from our thoughts and prayers at this most tragic time."

Major Jeremy Sharpe, Battery Commander 38 (Seringapatam) Battery RA, said:

"Bombardier Craig Hopson was the first member of the battery that I met. A vibrant individual with a sense of humour and heart to match his stature, he made an immediate impact as he did on everyone who was fortunate enough to come into contact with him.

"Craig had a ready smile and was the first to start with friendly banter in any situation; his irreverent sense of humour was legendary. He attacked everything in life with verve and determination, whether at work, on the rugby field or in the bar. 'Hoppo' enjoyed hiding his light under a bushel, his brash exterior thinly covering a man of intelligence, courage and compassion; he was the consummate professional.

"Immensely strong, calm under fire and technically excellent, his team remember him as a man they looked up to and aspired to emulate. My abiding memory of him at work will be him controlling simultaneous missions while under fire without resort to cribs or notes.

"He was a man in his element doing the job he loved; he earned the deep respect and friendship of everyone in the battery and the Battle Group. His booming voice across the battlefield will be missed by one and all.

"Craig had just returned from R&R seeing his baby daughter Amelia for only the second time and his enormous pride in becoming a father shone through whenever he spoke of his family. Our thoughts and prayers are with them at this terrible time.

"Craig's loss leaves a hole in the battery that will be difficult to fill. If he were here he would be the first to crack a joke, remind us of the task in hand and, in his own inimitable style, draw the team together and back to work. That is exactly what we will do; he would expect nothing less than this of us.

"Bombardier Hopson died as he lived, going forwards, determined and committed. He was one of the best of us and we will carry on strengthened by his memory. He will not be forgotten."

Major Matt Munro, Officer Commanding Alpha (Grenadier) Company, said:

"Craig Hopson will be remembered by Alpha (Grenadier) Company as a remarkable soldier and a charismatic and hugely popular young man. He personally made a massive contribution to our operations in Afghanistan and was a pivotal member of my team.

"We joked often that Craig's personal 'volume control' was defective but, truth be told, we loved listening to his irreverent sense of humour and razor sharp wit. Craig loved to proudly advertise his West Yorkshire roots and, surrounded by Jocks, this always made for entertaining banter.

"Craig's bluff exterior belied a deeply caring side; on the many occasions when he spoke of his newborn daughter Amelia he visibly swelled with pride. At this terrible time our thoughts are with his partner Eleanor, his family and many, many friends. His absence leaves a great void; gone but never forgotten, Craig Hopson - Rest In Peace."

Captain James Banks, Fire Support Team Commander, said:

"Hoppo was a larger than life character both in stature and personality; he carried a mature head on young shoulders and persona that none could match. From the first moment I met Bombardier Hopson I could see he was a character. His bubbly and individual style of soldiering made him an excellent and irreplaceable member of my Fire Support Team.

"Hoppo's technical ability was second-to-none and his passion for gunnery was clear to all that knew him. As my Second-in-Command he was a solid sounding block and on more than one occasion saved my blushes when the technical aspects of gunnery had caught me off guard.

"He had a wicked sense of humour and was more than capable of making fun of the most extraordinary situations. He was an excellent Bombardier, a pleasure to command and a good friend. Bombardier Hopson will be sorely missed throughout not only the battery but throughout the whole of the Royal Regiment of Artillery. Bombardier Hopson I salute you."

Sergeant Nick Collins, Battery Commander's Assistant, 38 Battery, said:

"Craig will be remembered firstly as a proud father, a fine and brave soldier, and above all a friend. Always ready with a joke and willing to help those in need of guidance, usually with a kind word but when required a firm hand.

"He always led from the front, either in battle or on a rugby pitch where for his strapping six-foot frame he showed surprising nimbleness. He also proved his knowledge in the classroom where he achieved high grades in all his courses.

"I've known Craig since he joined the regiment, serving with him on operational tours and as he progressed through the ranks watching him mature into the role he excelled at. As a professional soldier he had a great future ahead of him and I am proud to have served with him but I am prouder to know he called me a friend.

"As part of the family that is 38 Battery and his former unit 129 Battery, he will be sorely missed by all who knew him both past and present. At this time our thoughts are with Eleanor, Amelia and his family."

Friends Lance Bombardier Willie Ewens and Gunner Danny Venter said:

"Hoppo was a larger than life character who always loved a good laugh. He spoke his mind and in the time we worked together was a good ack and an excellent friend.

"He always backed us up in any situation and we will miss his dry sense of humour. He will never be forgotten. Our thoughts are with his family, his partner Eleanor and his young daughter Amelia."

Secretary of State for Defence, Bob Ainsworth MP, said:

"I was deeply saddened to hear of the loss of Bombardier Craig Hopson. By all accounts he was a highly skilled and professional soldier, a very popular character with an infectious sense of humour, and a proud father. My thoughts and deepest sympathies are with his family, friends and colleagues at this time."

Rest in peace Craig

Offline Derzyjudek

• Airliner recliner decliner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1287 on: July 27, 2009, 06:26:40 pm »
Two British soldiers have been killed in separate explosions in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.

Their families have been told of the deaths.

One of the troops died while taking part in a major operation dubbed Panther's Claw, in which 10 other UK troops have also been killed.

The five-week mission was to clear the Taliban from an area the size of the Isle of Wight ahead of next month's elections.

Commanders say the operation has now come to an end.

The soldier was from the Light Dragoons and was killed in an explosion whilst on a vehicle patrol, in Lashkar Gah District, central Helmand Province.

The other serviceman was from 5th Regiment Royal Artillery and died in a blast while on a foot patrol in Sangin District, Helmand Province.

This was not part of Operation Panther's Claw.

RIP

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 06:32:59 pm by Derzyjudek »
Quote from: grifter

I'd rather take a belt sander to me cock and crush me own bollocks with a nut cracker than go within 100yds of her stinky flabby twat.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1288 on: July 27, 2009, 07:07:03 pm »
Rest in peace lads

Offline sisterbliss

• Legacy Fan
  • Out now The Goodison Persecution Complex
« Reply #1289 on: July 28, 2009, 01:23:44 pm »
Very sad, RIP.
Try to sit on the fence and you're quickly exposed as a fraud, hiding your true feelings but fooling no one.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1290 on: July 28, 2009, 01:31:53 pm »
Rest in peace lads.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1291 on: July 28, 2009, 09:47:15 pm »
Two British soldiers have been killed in separate explosions in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed. 

It is with deep regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Warrant Officer Class 2 Sean Upton and Trooper Phillip Lawrence were killed in two separate incidents in Afghanistan on Monday 27 July 2009.

Warrant Officer Class 2 Upton from 5th Regiment Royal Artillery was killed as a result of an explosion whilst conducting a foot patrol in Sangin district, Helmand province. He was serving as second-in-command of Sangin's Police Mentoring Team.

Trooper Lawrence from The Light Dragoons died in an explosion whilst travelling in a SCIMITAR, or CVR(T), vehicle, as part of a patrol in Lashkar Gah district, Helmand province, while helping ensure the security of an area earlier cleared as part of Operation PANCHAI PALANG. He had volunteered to step in to drive for another Troop to fill a temporary manning gap when his vehicle was hit by an explosion, mortally wounding him.

Warrant Officer Class 2 Sean Upton

WO2 Upton was born on 29 November 1973 in Nottinghamshire. He enlisted into the Army in June 1990. A career Royal Artillery weapon locator specialising in RADAR systems, he served operationally in Iraq, Northern Ireland, Cyprus and Bosnia, and previously in Afghanistan.

He was a natural leader and intensely professional soldier who rose sharply through the ranks, quickly gaining trust from, and the confidence of, colleagues wherever he served.

At the start of Operation HERRICK 10 he commanded the Counter Fire elements at Kandahar Airfield, protecting it from insurgent rocket and mortar fire. It was the sort of job in which he revelled, needing a sharp technical intellect and a calm and decisive manner he was yet again superbly effective.

On transfer to Sangin district, Helmand province he approached his duty with the same energy and intelligent attention to detail that characterised his career.

WO2 Upton was one of the central figures that make 53 (Louisburg) Battery so effective. He was absolutely key to the life and ethos of the unit, whether on Operations or at home.

Always approachable, and hugely capable, he inadvertently became a role model to a generation of junior soldiers. His character was self-effacing and generous, and he lived his life through an unimpeachable set of values.

Throughout the build-up to this tour WO2 Upton was always at the heart of training activity; cajoling and encouraging soldiers, and sometimes prodding the junior officers and imparting wisdom in the diplomatic and avuncular manner required; he seemed always to be in exactly the right place.

His popularity across the wider Regiment marked him as a man whose company was always fun and who could be relied upon to deliver; he was consequently relied upon heavily, in particular by his Battery Commander and Battery Sergeant Major.

Despite all of his professional achievements, WO2 Upton remained a devoted family man and was hugely proud of his young family; he leaves behind his wife Karen and two children Hollie and Ewan. Lieutenant Colonel John Musgrave, Commanding Officer 5th Regiment Royal Artillery, said:

"WO2 Sean Upton was a naturally gifted soldier, the complete professional, noted for his light touch in command and dedication to his solders. He specialised in the defeat of enemy rockets and mortars – an art he had practiced in the Balkans, Iraq and on both his Afghanistan tours, always remaining calm under fire, and decisive and effective in his response.

"His rapid progression through the ranks was testimony to what would have been the brightest future in the Army. 5th Regiment has lost a truly dedicated and exemplary soldier and man, who was a role model to all he met and worked with; always living and working to the highest standards, but also always with a smile on his face and a ready laugh, true to his belief that soldiering should be a rewarding way of life.

"He will be sorely missed by the soldiers of 5th Regiment Royal Artillery and by all in the Royal Artillery who had the privilege of knowing him and working alongside him. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, particularly his wife Karen and his son, Ewan, and daughter Hollie."

Lieutenant Colonel Rob Thomson, Commanding Officer 2 RIFLES Battle Group, said:

"WO2 Upton was one of those outstanding British Army Sergeant Majors who volunteered for everything. It was his way to be in the mix and at the front and it did not matter whether it was work or play.

"He has been brilliant at mentoring his Afghan comrades and did it with a perfect lightness of touch. He was adored by his Afghan Policeman and that is a reflection of his qualities as a man and as a soldier.

"He is sorely missed and, yet in this dark hour in the Battle Group, our first thoughts and prayers must be with his beloved wife and adored children who have lost their hero."

Major John Catto, Battery Commander 53 (Louisburg) Battery Royal Artillery, said:

"In the frenetic pace of Regimental life, WO2 Upton was the hub that much of the Battery revolved around. With a firm grip on his training role, and all the soldiers who passed through his office, he was unfailingly on top of whatever was thrown at him, no matter how short the notice or obscure the request.

"He coupled this competence with a broad smile and biting sense of humour that could draw laughs from any situation. When all seemed overwhelming, there was always WO2 Upton to bring his sense of composure and perspective onto events. The Battery's loss, however great, is nothing to that of his family, and he will be sorely missed by all."

Major Ion Hill, Officer Commanding I Company, 2 RIFLES Battle Group, said:

"In the short time that I knew WO2 Upton he made a remarkable impression. It is a testament to his character and dedication that he volunteered to leave the relative quiet of Kandahar and fill a gap within the Police Mentoring Team in Sangin district, Helmand province.

"His professionalism as a soldier was evident to all and he rose to the challenge of commanding Afghan Soldiers in the infantry role. Yet above all of this he stood out as a particularly human and unassuming Sergeant Major who cared deeply about the welfare of his soldiers. I will remember him for his selfless nature and benevolent sense of humour.

"He developed a deep empathy with the members of the Afghan National Police who he was responsible for mentoring and they immediately warmed to him. A man of genuine integrity he soon won their trust and was responsible in part for the ever-increasing cooperation between the Police and ourselves. They held him in very high regard; so much so that last week they attempted to present him with a young eagle as a token of their respect.

"First and foremost WO2 Upton was a strong family man and he spoke often of them. Tonight his family are very much in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time."Captain Paul Harris, Operations Officer 53 (Louisburg) Battery Royal Artillery, said:

"WO2 Upton epitomised what it was to be a professional soldier. Fit, dedicated, competent and wearing a constant smile he approached every task with an abundance of energy and rigour that gained him a steadfast reputation throughout the Gunner community.

"He loved the Army and threw himself fully into every role whether that was the soul of discretion as the Officers' Mess Manager, becoming the Battery Sergeant Major on one day's notice, or single-handedly organising Pre Deployment Training for the Battery's simultaneous deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan.

"WO2 Upton loved only his family more than the Army. His office and room were always adorned with their photos and he would regularly keep us abreast of how his children were doing at school. His thoughts were constantly with his family. His loss is keenly felt by all who knew him."

Captain Howard Hooper with Sergeant Adrian Meager and Corporal Scott Horn, Operational Co-Ordination Team attached to 2 RIFLES Battle Group, said:

"Sergeant Major Upton was our team's ideal Second-in-Command whose humbleness and common-touch reached across all backgrounds, ranks and nationalities; he so very quickly gained a solid rapport with the Afghan National Police and Army whom we worked with, and who were deeply saddened by his death.

"My hope is that we all continue in his example of mentoring local Afghan security forces with such professionalism, compassion and energy.

"Our team's small size, resulted in a family-like closeness and we have lost a great man whose sense of humour, genuine willingness to help others and loyal friendship was so sad to lose, yet truly admirable.

"Most of all we remember our Sergeant Major as a loving and dedicated husband of Karen and father to Ewan and Hollie whom he regularly spoke of and clearly missed – our team's thoughts and prayers are with them."

Lieutenant Ffreuer Whitaker, Troop Commander 53 (Louisburg) Battery Royal Artillery, said:

"WO2 Sean Upton was everything a Sergeant Major should be; a role model to his subordinates, a firm friend to his peers, and a source of advice and guidance to the junior officers.

"WO2 Upton embodied loyalty. He genuinely cared for the wellbeing of the soldiers and took a personal interest in ensuring they were trained to the highest standard possible, while always presenting a robust, no nonsense front. He was a steadfast friend to many within the Battery and wider Regiment and could be relied upon, not least professionally, for frank advice, a cup of tea and a chat, or putting the world to rights over a beer.

"WO2 Upton vested himself wholly in everything and will be missed tremendously in many ways. He spoke of Karen his wife and their two children frequently, it was profoundly obvious that he loved them deeply as they were never far from the surface of his thoughts; they are at the forefront of ours at this incredibly difficult time."

Warrant Officer Class 2 Pat Jeeves, Troop Sergeant Major 53 (Louisburg) Battery Royal Artillery, said:

"WO2 Sean Upton was an outstanding soldier and a close friend to all. His professionalism and determination shone, never faltering even when the cards seemed against him. He showed all the qualities of a good leader and he was respected by his superiors and peers alike.

"Sean enjoyed the Army life and grasped challenges and opportunities with both hands. His dedication and loyalty to all those around him was endless and was always there to help others even if it was putting him out. Sean was a truly genuine man making him extremely approachable, the sort of person who you knew you could rely on and would always put others first.

"Sean was a fit soldier and although not dedicated to a specific sport would give anything a go and always give 100%, again a testimony to his character. Sean was a devoted husband to his wife Karen and the perfect caring father to his two children Ewan and Hollie who he leaves behind. Sean will be missed by all those who knew him and never be forgotten."

Warrant Officer Class 2 Wayne Gower, Troop Sergeant Major 53 (Louisburg) Battery Royal Artillery, said:

"Sean was not just a mate, he was a true friend. In the Army we have lots of mates, but friends can usually be counted on one hand. To be friends with Sean was a massive "prof"- Sean was quality. A quality bloke, quality to be around and a quality dry sense of humour to match.

"Like me, Sean liked a drink, and like me wasn't very good at it. Also like me, he used to like a crafty cigarette when we were out being rubbish drinkers. It was on these various nights out that it soon became obvious I'd met someone who could match me in my exceptional shyness in actually buying a pack. You didn't need to be around Sean long to realize what a family man he was.

"He loved ‘spinning dits' about what the kids had got up to or what his plans where at the weekend for Karen and the kids. He was a caring guy, not just for his family and friends, but genuinely cared for the lads and lasses and whether they knew it or not, he wanted the best for every single one of them. Sean it was an honour to know you, I will miss you friend. God bless."

Sergeant Adrian Meager R IRISH and Corporal Scott Horn R ANG, KAJACKI Police Mentoring Team, said:

"WO2 Upton was our team's ideal second-in-command whose humbleness and common-touch reached across all backgrounds, ranks and nationalities; he so very quickly gained a solid rapport with the Afghan National Police and Army whom we worked with, and who were deeply saddened by his death.

"My hope is that we all continue in his example of mentoring local Afghan security forces with such professionalism, compassion and energy. Our team's small size, resulted in a family-like closeness and we have lost a great man whose sense of humour, genuine willingness to help others and loyal friendship was so sad to lose, yet truly admirable.

"Most of all we remember our Sergeant Major as a loving and dedicated husband of Karen and father to Ewan and Hollie whom he regularly spoke of and clearly missed – our team's thoughts and prayers are with them."

Sergeant Andy Luckhurst, Brother Gunner from 5 Regiment Royal Artillery and Radar Detachment Commander attached to 2 RIFLES Battle Group said:

"It is hard to write about one person and sum up all their qualities when that person had so many. I've had the pleasure of working with Sean Upton for many years and he was respected by his peers and subordinates alike. He had an infectious sense of humour and he was remembered by anybody who was fortuna
    te enough to speak to him.

"More than any other, the word ‘selfless' comes to mind when talking about Sean. He was always more concerned about others than he was himself, whether that was his soldiers welfare or their careers. Sean's open door policy offered his soldiers a compassionate and caring leader and will be irreplaceable within 53 Battery and 5 Regiment.

"Sean was dedicated in all that he did, but none more so than spending time with his family. Sean leaves behind his wife Karen, son Ewan and daughter Hollie. All our thoughts are with them."

Trooper Phillip Lawrence

Tpr Lawrence from Birkenhead, was born 31 March 1987, and enlisted into the Army in July 2005. After completing recruit training in Jan 2006 he conducted his Royal Armoured Corps training in Bovington before joining The Light Dragoons.

Joining C Squadron from the outset, he deployed almost immediately on his first tour of Afghanistan in late 2006, where he quickly learnt his trade in the most demanding conditions. He was a talented, reliable and dedicated soldier.

Tpr Lawrence deployed to Afghanistan this year as part of Emsdorf Troop, a Fire Support Group attached to A Company 2 MERCIAN. For the first three months of the tour he had operated on foot and in Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Tracked) in Garmsir, before the Battle Group deployed to the Lashkar Gah district.

Always the first to volunteer for anything, Tpr Lawrence made a name for himself across the Regiment for not only being a surprisingly good dancer, but simply being the most cheerful, helpful and friendly person you could hope to meet. You could not help but like him, and he was universally popular as a result. He was a devoted husband to his wife Amy, and doting father to their baby daughter Jessica.

Tpr Lawrence's family paid the following tribute:

"No words can ever explain the loss, he was our Knight in Shining Armour. Husband, Dad, Son, Brother, Grandson, Son-in-law, Brother-in-law, Friend and in the early years The Man of The House a pleasure to be around.

"The Light has been turned off in our world but his memories will always live on in his precious daughter who he thought the world of.

"He lived for the Army and died for his country. A Hero in everybody's world he will be missed by everyone always in our hearts you will never be forgotten. Rest in Peace."

Lieutenant Colonel Gus Fair, Commanding Officer The Light Dragoons, said:

"Tpr Lawrence was one of the characters that make a family Regiment such as The Light Dragoons so special. Lenny's generous nature, inability to bear a grudge and sheer enjoyment of day to day life endeared him to us all. Everyone counted him amongst their friends, and his loss will hit the Regiment especially hard.

"He soldiered with great heart, shown both in the boxing ring and on the battlefield. Utterly selfless, he was mortified if he ever made a mistake, and it was impossible not to forgive him immediately as you could see just how much he cared.

"Lenny was devoted to his family, and the pride he took in his wife and daughter shone from him. It fills me with enormous sadness that Jessica, his baby daughter, will not grow up to know her brilliant father, and our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Amy and his mother Gaynor as they grieve this tragic loss. "

Major Sam Plant, Officer Commanding C Squadron ‘The Legion' The Light Dragoons, said:

"Tpr Lawrence, or ‘Lenny' as he was known by his many friends, was known to all of us as a real contributor. Whatever was going on, Lenny seemed to be at the centre of it – he was forever putting himself forward as a volunteer for both military tasks and other, extra-curricular events. He had an insatiable appetite for life and certainly lived it to the full.

"There was nothing that he would not do to help out a mate and, in going about his business, he always sought to benefit the team at large. A more decent and selfless man one could not wish to meet.

"It is typical of Lenny that he volunteered to represent C Sqn in the recent Regimental Boxing competition. As was his way, he displayed courage and determination in the ring and this positive approach had underpinned his work in Afghanistan until he was cruelly taken from us. He was dependable and hard working and enjoyed the friendship and respect of all those who had the privilege of working alongside him,

"Lenny was a central player in a very close knit team. The sense of the loss and sadness will be intense for his great many friends and colleagues in The Light Dragoons and we will remember him with immense fondness and respect forever.

"The sense of loss and sadness, however, will be nothing compared to that of his family. His wife, Amy, and their young daughter Jessica were everything to him. Our thoughts and prayers are with them and the rest of his family at this exceptionally sad time."

Lieutenant Charlie Dunn, Troop Leader, said:

"Trooper Philip ‘Lenny' Lawrence was a senior Trooper in 2nd Troop when I arrived at Regimental Duty. It quickly became evident to me what a character and lively personality he was and I instantly took a shine to him. Tpr Lawrence was a true professional and a natural soldier.

"He set an example to the other Troopers on how to balance being a highly capable and effective soldier but still enjoying all that life has to offer. He was conscientious and reliable and never one to complain about a job no matter how tough.

"He was a talented sportsman with his passion in life being football and especially Manchester United even though he was from Liverpool! He was also a talented boxer and last year he boxed in the RAC championships.

"He was a man of many words, which was a reflection of his bubbly character and enthusiasm for life. Only 2 months ago I was on stag with him in an OP during the early hours of the morning and I don't think through that whole period he remained silent.

"He was good morale for the Troop, always involved in pranks and mischief and he could always be relied on when times were low with witty comments to get everyone laughing. The bar in Castlemartin will not be the same without a topless Lenny dancing away!

"Lenny was a natural father and was so very proud of his baby girl. My heartfelt condolences go out to his loving wife Amy, daughter Jessica and mother Gaynor. They will be in mine and the Troop's thoughts and prayers.

"Tpr Lawrence's tragic loss now leaves a void within 2nd Troop and his infectious enthusiasm and limitless energy will be sorely missed. It was an honour to command such a true character and a pleasure that I shall never forget. He loved the Regiment and the Regiment loved him, we have lost one of our true characters."

Lieutenant Rowley Gregg Troop Leader, Emsdorf Troop, said:

"Tpr Phillip Lawrence, known as ‘Lenny ‘ to most, was a charismatic soldier that always put others before himself. A devoted husband to Amy and a loving father to Jessica who was born late last year, I remember how proud and happy Lenny looked whilst introducing Jessica to the Squadron.

"Tpr Lawrence had many hobbies, at the top was football. He was an avid Manchester United fan who was never to be seen without his favourite home strip; I believe Jessica owned a few strips herself.

"Lenny put his heart and soul into pre-deployment training. A skilful gunner who excelled on a squadron range package in Castlemartin he was keen to put these skills into practice.

"This was his second tour in Afghanistan, for this reason he was looked up to by his contemporaries for advice and guidance. He died whilst driving a CVR (T). This alone shows his diverse range of his skills as a Formation Reconnaissance soldier and his willing character, always volunteering to help others in need. Above all he was a real team player.

"Tpr Lawrence will be remembered by the lads by his peculiar sense of humour that added to the morale of any situation no matter how serious the occasion. He was never shy to take centre stage, especially when karaoke was concerned. Tpr Lawrence was a Light Dragoon, part of Emsdorf Troop whilst in Afghanistan who was attached to A Company, 2 Mercian.

"He will be greatly missed by all. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this extremely sad time. Rest in peace ‘Lenny'."WO2 David Rae, Squadron Sergeant Major, C Squadron The Light Dragoons, said:

"Tpr Lawrence, or 'Lenny' as he was affectionately known, has been a 'Legion' lad since he joined the Regiment in 2006. I first met him when I assumed the post as Squadron Sergeant Major in early 2008. I immediately perceived him as a cheeky little Scouser; it was the smile in his eyes and the constant grin which led me to believe he always had something up his sleeve, but he wasn't that way at all.

"Lenny was a grafter and he had bottle, he put his all into everything, especially when wearing his squadron colours in whatever he was doing, whether that be PT or representing the squadron at a sporting event. One event worthy of mention sticks to mind.

"The squadron needed to win the Dodgeball competition to guarantee an overall victory in the The Light Dragoons sports trophy. Most of the team had been clobbered leaving Lenny and one other to make the almost impossible happen; Lenny was like William Tell with a Dodgeball and despatched the lot of them single handed. We were all amazed, Lenny was proud as punch, The Legion was victorious.

"Lenny was immensely proud of his Squadron and his Regiment and a very caring husband and father. He was extremely mild mannered but also good fun to be around, regardless of the situation he had a smile which was infectious; he was one of life's good guys and a son, husband and father his family should be extremely proud of, just as we are.

"We have all lost a dedicated and trusted friend and colleague within C Squadron and The Light Dragoons but ultimately our thoughts and prayers are sent to his family and friends, especially his wife Amy and young daughter Jessica who he was devoted to.

"Lenny, you will be sorely missed in many ways but always fondly remembered and will always remain one of us."

Sgt Bell, Troop Sergeant, said:

"Tpr Phil Lawrence, Lenny to all who knew him, joined my Troop in November 2007, just 6 months after completing a tour of Afghanistan on Op HERRICK 5. This gave him experience beyond his young age and stood him in good stead for what lay ahead in all training and eventually this deployment. Lenny was first and foremost a Cavalry soldier.

"However he showed his flexibility in Emsdorf Troop, by carrying out various tasks from mundane stagging on to crewing a CVR(T) Scimitar, then deploying on foot carrying weight up to 40kg, on patrols lasting hours.

"Lenny was a devoted husband, father, soldier and friend. and he gave 110 per cent in everything that he did. His devotion to his job was nothing short of selfless, however this did not compare to his devotion to his wife Amy and his daughter Jessica to whom he was totally committed.

"Lenny was taken from us before his time as a young soldier, husband, father and son. Some comfort can be taken from the fact that he was with his friends when he was taken from us and we will continue the work he was part of, bringing peace to an unstable place. You may be gone mate, but your Memory will live on forever. You will not be forgotten.

Cpl Mark Bowman, Vehicle Commander, said:

"I've known Phil since he joined The Legion back in June 2006. He was a very confident lad which made him stand out amongst his peers; all of which joined for the up and coming deployment to Afghanistan.

"Throughout his time in The Legion he became a very popular bloke; there wasn't a man to say a bad word about him. When 'Lenny' came to my crew as a driver we would often sit up after stand-to and talk about all the things we would enjoy doing with our families, wives and children when we returned home. It was an honour to have served with you mate, you will never be forgotten."

Tpr James Wright, Gunner, said:

"I met 'Lenny' in the early part of 2008 when I joined C Sqn 'The Legion' and the Light Dragoons; I didn't really know him that well then. He later came to our Troop as a replacement during the recent operations.

"In the last 4 weeks I learnt so much about him; he was a confident character and always full of morale but mostly he was a great help to me and a good friend. It was a pleasure knowing and working with you Lenny, you will be remembered mate and never forgotten. Rest in Peace."

LCpl Omar Wilson, a friend from C Squadron, said:

"I first met Lenny in 2006 when he came to 1st Troop, C Squadron. We spent 6 months together in Afghanistan on Op HERRICK 5 and he'd been a good mate ever since. He had a heart of solid gold and personality that could get him through anything. He loved being part of C Squadron and The Light Dragoons, and he was really popular with everyone he ever met.

"I will miss you loads mate, and I will never forget all the good times with you and the lads. My heart goes out to his wife, Amy, their baby girl and the rest of his family back home."

Tpr Chris Lewis, a friend from C Squadron, said:

"For nearly two years I had worked with Lenny in the same Troop and, for most of that, we were in the same crew. Unusually, although I was quite a bit older than him, I was the driver and Lenny was the gunner but that did not affect our brilliant relationship. He was always on hand to help out and offer advice and working with him was always a privilege.

"His wife and child were the greatest thing in his life and everything that he did, he did to make them proud. My thoughts are with him and the rest of his family at this time."

Tpr Jamie Coates, a friend, said:

"Tpr Phillip Lawrence, known to everyone as Lenny, will be missed by everyone that knew him. When Lenny was around the troop morale would always be high, as he was the joker and entertainer of the group and would always be laughing. Lenny was happy no matter what."

"Anyone that knew Lenny would know what a kind, caring and thoughtful friend he was. He was friends with everyone, a popular character who was willing to do anything for his friends and family.

"Lenny was never shy and being the entertainer he would always be the first on the dance floor or karaoke. He was the best dancer by far out of his mates and loved to show off his moves, always ending with him doing the worm across the dance floor on nights out.

"Lenny was a keen sportsman which led him to take part in the Sqn boxing last year. Football was his favourite sport, being the massive Man United fan he was he was always wearing a footy shirt even when we were scuba diving in Malta.

"Having been a close friend to Lenny I have many good memories. I will miss having a kick about and watching the boxing at his house at the weekend. But I will mostly miss his sense of humour and generosity. I think everyone will agree that Lenny was a true friend.

"My heart goes out to Lenny's family as I know how much he loved his wife Amy and daughter Jessica. He was a proud Dad and would have done anything for his family.

"I can't express how much Lenny will be missed but I know he will never be forgotten and I will remember Lenny as the happy, smiley character he was."

LCpl Charlie Rock and LCpl Alan Cheshire close friends of Trooper Lawrence, said:

"Lenny was a good soldier with a kind heart and would have done anything for anyone he knew. He was never shy to get stuck in and was also a keen sportsman. He was a great character and was a brilliant friend. He will be sorely missed. We will never forget him."

"I was deeply saddened to learn of the deaths of WO2 Sean Upton and Trooper Phillip Lawrence. These two men were at different stages of their careers, but it is clear that both were outstanding soldiers who commanded the respect and admiration of their colleagues, and whose loss will be felt by many. My profound sympathies are with their families and friends."

Rest in peace Sean and Lenny

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1292 on: July 29, 2009, 06:47:53 am »
Rest in peace Sean and Lenny.

Offline jonnyredman

• Main Stander
« Reply #1293 on: July 31, 2009, 06:18:16 am »
RIP to all that have fallen

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #1294 on: August 3, 2009, 07:37:15 am »
RIP boys...
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #1295 on: August 3, 2009, 06:37:18 pm »
Rest in peace Sean.
Rest in peace Lenny.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1296 on: August 4, 2009, 06:11:36 pm »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a soldier from the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, attached to the Light Dragoons, was killed in Afghanistan today, Monday 4 August 2009.

The soldier was killed as a result of an explosion that happened while on a vehicle patrol in Babaji District, southern Helmand province, this morning.

Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel Mark Wenham, said:

"It is with great regret that we report the death of another soldier on Operation HERRICK 10. The loss of a soldier, friend and colleague is tragic and our thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time."

The serviceman's next of kin have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before further details are released.

Rest in peace lad

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1297 on: August 5, 2009, 09:04:12 am »
Rest in peace mate.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1298 on: August 5, 2009, 10:16:30 pm »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a soldier from the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, attached to the Light Dragoons, was killed in Afghanistan today, Monday 4 August 2009.

It is with deep regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of Craftsman Anthony Lombardi of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME), attached to The Light Dragoons, in Afghanistan on Tuesday 4 August 2009.

Craftsman (Cfn) Lombardi was killed in Babaji, in the Lashkar Gar district of Helmand province.  He was attached as a vehicle mechanic to Emsdorf Troop, a CVR(T) [Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Tracked)] group from The Light Dragoons serving with A Company, 2nd Battalion The Mercian Regiment (Worcesters & Foresters) (2 MERCIAN).

Cfn Lombardi was driving a CVR(T) Spartan as part of an escort for a Viking supply convoy, moving between the company's two locations when the vehicle was hit by an explosion.  The force of the explosion breached the hull, killing him instantly.

Craftsman Anthony Lombardi

Cfn Lombardi was born on 8 October 1987 and grew up in Scunthorpe, South Humberside.  He joined the Army in September 2004 and finished training at the School of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering in Bordon in February 2006.  He was then posted to 15 Equipment Support Company, 19 Light Brigade Combat Service Support Battalion, as a Vehicle Mechanic where he furthered his knowledge of the trade.  After qualifying as a Class 2 mechanic, he was posted to The Light Dragoons Light Aid Detachment (LAD) in July 2008.
Known as "Lombo" to his friends, Cfn Lombardi was a talented sportsman and represented the Army Youth Team and the REME at football.

He is survived by his parents, Helen and Walter, and his fiancée, Ellie, with whom he had a one-year-old son, Harvey.

Anthony's family paid the following tribute:

"Anthony was a loving son, brother, father, uncle and fiancé. Everyone who loved Anthony is proud of him for who he was and for what he was doing in the Army.

"Everyone is gutted that such a talented, wonderful and popular person is now missing from their lives and his son will never grow up and understand what an amazing star Anthony was. He will be sadly missed by his family, friends and colleagues."

Lieutenant Colonel Gus Fair, Commanding Officer of The Light Dragoons, said:

"Cfn Lombardi had all the qualities one would expect of a REME soldier – intelligent, driven and a brilliant mechanic. More than that, though, he was the life and soul of his peer group.  Always at the centre of any social event, he applied the same vigour and enthusiasm for life to his work.  No matter how little sleep he had, or how complicated and lengthy his repair was, Cfn Lombardi would have a smile on his face and an infectious enthusiasm that carried his section forward. He was hugely popular and undoubtedly had the potential to go far.

"We have been privileged to have a soldier of this singular quality attached to the Regiment and we, along with his many close friends in the REME, will feel his loss deeply.  All of our thoughts remain with his family; His parents, Helen and Walter, and his fiancée and their young son, Harvey. We are desperately sorry for this terrible loss."

Captain Dave Bunker, Officer Commanding The Light Dragoons' LAD, said.

"Cfn Lombardi, or Lombo to his many friends, was an inspiration.  I first met him on Salisbury Plain in June 2008 where he was attached to the LAD from 15 Equipment Support Company.  It was there that I first saw the quality of this young and talented man.  He was the perfect tradesman; fit, bold, cheerful and incredibly bright.  He was desperate to come to The Light Dragoons and with his ability and character he was welcomed with open arms.

"He touched so many people during his life.  His beaming smile and sense of fun lit up the lives of all who he encountered.  His very presence motivated everyone to give their best.  His prowess with a spanner was only matched by his skills on the dance floor where he truly astounded us all. He was an avid footballer who played for the Army Youth Team and at every other opportunity.

"Cfn Lombardi was an expert on CVR(T) and he kept his Troop moving through thick and thin.  I was utterly confident in knowing that when he was with the Troop, that the job would be done to the highest of standards and in record time.  Cfn Lombardi died [while serving] with his friends, while doing a tough job with determination and considerable style.

"He was truly marked for greatness and had an abundance of Artificer qualities.  He was a true credit to the REME and the gift of his presence amongst us can never be replaced.

"The loss of Cfn Lombardi has been felt deeply by his many friends and he will always be in our hearts.  Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and, in particular, his much loved fiancée, Ellie, and their son, Harvey."

Major Paddy Ginn, Officer Commanding A (Grenadier Company), 2 MERCIAN, said:

"Cfn Lombardi was in Emsdorf Troop, attached to A (Grenadier) Company for Op HERRICK.  As his Company Commander I was amazed by his abilities both as soldier and a skilled craftsman. He had the rarely seen ability to be the master of both trades.  Truly selfless, he would think nothing of working through the night to repair the CVR(T) vehicles that the Company relied on for support.  That the vehicles never failed is a direct result of his awesome capacity for hard work.

"Always cheerful, he was never fazed by the engineering problems that the lads of Emsdorf Troop presented him.  But he could also soldier with the best of the infantry, and would volunteer for the toughest patrols and operations.  His cheerful character and good humour were a source of comfort in the tough times that the company has faced on this tour.

"However bad the lads feel at his loss, it is nothing compared to the feelings of his family and fiancée.  Our thoughts are with them in this most difficult of times.  He was a top lad who will be sorely missed by all that had the privilege of serving with him.  God rest, Lombo; you made a mark on all of us that will never be forgotten."

Lieutenant Tresham Gregg, Emsdorf Troop Leader, said:

"Cfn Lombardi, 'Lombo' for short, had an infinite amount of enthusiasm for life.  He was a devoted partner to his fiancée, Ellie, and a loving father to his son, Harvey, whom Lombo was always keen and proud to talk about.  He was also the most extremely talented soldier with an exceptional knowledge of his trade.  I know this first hand having tested his ability to fix my vehicles on numerous occasions during these last four months in Afghanistan.  He never failed to come up trumps no matter how hard I tried!

"Lombo was a soldier who never complained no matter what was asked of him.  He seemed to excel when put under pressure and offer advice and help as and when it was needed. I could not have asked for a better individual to have had in my troop.  He had an incredibly caring character that was able to enthuse morale back into the whole troop in all situations.

"It was a distinct pleasure to have known and worked with Cfn Lombardi and a real privilege to have had such a professional soldier under my command.

"Whilst in Afghanistan I had a number of conversations with Lombo during which he told me that he had plans of buying a house with his fiancée and that he could not wait to see his son Harvey on his return from theatre.  I had so much admiration for his dedication and love towards his friends and family.  For this reason my heart goes out to all his loved ones during this terribly sad time.

"This disastrous loss of Cfn Lombardi will always be in my mind.  He was an individual with so much to offer in everything he did and thus was destined to be a success both in the army and at home.

"Speaking for the whole of Emsdorf Troop, we will always cherish the short time we knew this remarkable individual. Lombo, our friend, you will never be forgotten. Rest in peace."

Warrant Officer Class Two Willy Willcoxson, Light Dragoons' LAD Artificer Quartermaster Sergeant, said.

"I first met Cfn Anthony Lombardi (Lombo) when he was part of a Forward Repair Team from 19 CSS [Combat Service Support] Battalion and was attached to the Light Dragoons during Regimental Training in 2008.  He was one of those irrepressible vehicle mechanics who were never really happy unless he was tired, dirty and elbow deep in an engine.  He impressed the LAD so much that when he suggested that he wanted a posting to us, we simply had to have him.

"On arrival he was immediately within his element, deploying all over the UK training and supporting the Regiment's training. His cheerful and exuberant character immediately bonded him into a close-knit Squadron Fitter Section and LAD.

"Lombo was an Army Youth Team Footballer and also represented the REME.  He was 'Mr Entertainment' at social functions and never declined the challenge of a dance off.  He was fiercely proud of his fiancée, Ellie, and his son, Harvey, who was his pride and joy.

"His passing is felt tremendously within the Light Dragoons family and especially the LAD who recognised a soldier and friend who was always in the thick of the action."

Staff Sergeant Baz Hall, C Squadron Artificer, said.

"Cfn 'Lombo' Lombardi was a young man with a very promising future ahead of him. His 'work hard/play hard' attitude made him very popular both in and out of work.  I am very proud to have known him, to have worked with him and to have called him a friend.  Words can not describe the loss that we all feel because such an outstanding friend, soldier and tradesman has been taken from us.

"Our thoughts go out to his family, especially his fiancée, Ellie, and baby son, Harvey, who will now never experience the love that he had for him. Rest in peace Lombo."

Sgt Shaun Stockley, C Squadron Sergeant and Cfn Lombardi's vehicle commander for three months in Afghanistan, said:

"He was the top Craftsman Vehicle Mechanic in the Light Dragoons LAD. Fact.  He was a great sportsman, a great tradesman and a great friend. He lived life with the passion that it deserved.  The little that I do know about CVR(T) was all thanks to him.  He would take great pleasure in reversing my repair decisions knowing full well that he was right. He never glorified or revelled in war, he knew that it was serious business.  He was there to support the Troop and his mates, always cracking on with the job regardless of the circumstances.  He was always first to offer a hand, 'your problem' would soon become 'our problem' and he would stay until the last nut and bolt was tightened.  He will be greatly missed by his work colleagues and the Light Dragoons whom he supported.

"He loved his young family so much, I realised this long before the hundredth time that he had shown me his family pictures, and always with such great pride. It may be little consolation to his parents at this sad time, but he was a son that any man would have been proud of."

Staff Sergeant Michael Ogilvie, friend from Light Dragoons' LAD, said:

"Mischievous smile, life and soul of the party, hard working, professional, dedicated and socially awesome.  All of these things describe Lombo and a million other flattering words as well.  What is easier said is that we are all lucky people as we met this inspiring young man and are all richer for it. Lombo. Loved by all, missed by all."

Cpl James Short, a vehicle commander in Emsdorf Troop, The Light Dragoons, said:

"Cfn Lombardi, or Lombo as he was known, was a key part of Emsdorf Troop.  Without his skill and commitment to his trade Emsdorf Troop wouldn't have been able to function.  I know how committed he was when he worked flat out all through the night on my vehicle after I submerged it, not letting us work on it so we could get some rest. This was a real testament to his character.  We always turned to him when we needed any advice on the vehicles.

"Not only a truly gifted mechanic but he was also a keen soldier who never ticked or whinged but just got on with it.

"Lombo was a keen and gifted footballer who represented the REME Corps side and was keen to get stuck into the Light Dragoons side when he got back from tour. He was a proud father to his son Harvey and was looking forward to getting a house with his fiancée.

"He was a credit to the REME, The Light Dragoons and the Army. Lombo you were a top lad, a true grafter and a friend to everyone. We'll never forget you mate."

Lance Corporal John Cartwright, a friend from Light Dragoons' LAD, said:

"I first met Lombo while at The Light Dragoons' LAD. I instantly knew that we were going to become friends, as he was one of the easiest going people that I have ever met.  Lombo always had a little something about him that could see the good in any task, no matter how meaningless it may have seemed. Yet he always carried it out with a smile on his face, even when everybody else couldn't.

"To have worked with Lombo is an absolute honour but to be able to call him a friend, words cannot describe.  He will be missed dearly by everybody who knew him and I am sure that he will never be forgotten.  My thoughts go out to his family and friends at this very difficult time."

Cfn Stefan Rossi, a friend, said:

"Lombo was so easy to get along with and always having a laugh! I remember one time out on the ground at around three in the morning and we had a job on a CVR(T) to do. I was absolutely knackered and had no enthusiasm for the job, but Lombo was well up for it.  He kept smiling and making me laugh.  He boosted my morale and we were able to complete the job in no time. Cfn Lombardi was an awesome soldier and an awesome Vehicle Mechanic.  I would work with him anytime in any conditions."

LCpl Damo Crick, a friend from Light Dragoons' LAD, said:

"I first met Lombo on my arrival at the Light Dragoons where he was the first person to welcome me into the workshop.  As soon as I met him I knew we would get on well. He had an awesome sense of humour and loved playing pranks on people as well as looking after his friends, as he did with me one night after I had a few too many.  He was a joy to work with and his enthusiasm never dropped no matter what task given to him, the time of day or whether he was tired. He would just get on with it with the same unforgettable smile that he always had.

"It has been an absolute honour to have worked with Lombo and also to have had him as a friend. Everyone in the LAD will miss him dearly and he will always be in our thoughts, as will be his family and friends.  I am very sorry for your loss."

Cpl Derek Meffen, a friend, said:

"Cfn Lombardi was one of the finest craftsmen I have ever worked alongside. It was obvious to me at an early stage that he had what it takes to go a long way within the REME.  He would never complain even when it was 0530 in the morning and he was stuck upside down in the hull of a CVR(T) on Salisbury Plain.  He had such a great sense of humour and was always smiling.

"I remember when he told me he was going to be a dad and he was so proud, I think he was smiling for a full month. It is such a shame that his life was taken from him so early as he was one of the best. My heart goes out to his fiancée and young child as well as his family.  Goodbye Lombo; you were a great friend. Gone for now but never forgotten."

Craftsman Luke Keenan, a friend, said:

"Cfn Lombardi and I started basic training together and became very good friends. From the first time I met Cfn Lombardi he was a great source of morale. He had an awesome sense of humour, and coming from "Sunny Scunny" as he called it I guess he needed it. We nicknamed him 'Balboa', but for the life of me I cannot remember why. He was never one to let the lads down and he was always there to help anyone out if they needed it.

"I last saw Craftsman Lombardi at his new posting in Swanton Morley with the Light Dragoons. He hadn't changed a bit and, as always, was surrounded by good friends having a laugh and a joke. Cfn Lombardi was proud to announce to me that he recently had a child with his loving fiancée. My thoughts and prayers go out to them both and his whole family in this time of need.

"Goodbye Balboa, you will be sorely missed."

Secretary of State for Defence, Bob Ainsworth, said:

"I was very saddened to learn of the death of Craftsman Anthony Lombardi. From the tributes of his friends and commanders he comes across as having been a hugely positive force in his unit; enthusiastic, talented and committed, and with a bright future ahead of him. I can only offer my deepest sympathy and respect to the grieving family of a man who died doing such vital work for us all."

Rest in peace Lombo

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1299 on: August 6, 2009, 06:17:48 am »
Rest in peace Lombo.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1300 on: August 6, 2009, 06:03:40 pm »
Rest in peace Lombo.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1301 on: August 7, 2009, 11:52:32 am »
Three soldiers killed in Afghanistan
A Military Operations news article

7 Aug 09

It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that three soldiers from The Parachute Regiment were killed in Afghanistan yesterday, Thursday 6 August 2009.
Ministry of Defence

Ministry of Defence

The soldiers were killed yesterday afternoon while undertaking a routine security patrol alongside Afghan National Security Forces to the north of Lashkar Gah when the Jackal vehicle they were travelling in was hit by an explosion, followed by a small arms fire attack.

It is believed that the three men were killed in the initial blast. A fourth member of the patrol remains in a critical condition.

Next of kin have been informed and have requested a period of grace before any further details are released.

Rest in peace Paras.

Best wishes for a speedy full recovery for the injured lad.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1302 on: August 7, 2009, 03:16:31 pm »
Fuck sake. Rest in peace lads.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1303 on: August 8, 2009, 01:38:09 pm »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that three soldiers from The Parachute Regiment were killed in Afghanistan yesterday, Thursday 6 August 2009.

It is with deep sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Corporal Kevin Mulligan, Lance Corporal Dale Thomas Hopkins and Private Kyle Adams were killed in Afghanistan on Thursday 6 August 2009.The three soldiers, all from The Parachute Regiment, were killed while undertaking a routine security patrol alongside Afghan National Security Forces to the north of Lashkar Gah when the Jackal vehicle they were travelling in was hit by an explosion, followed by a small arms fire attack.

Corporal Kevin Mulligan

Corporal Mulligan's family paid the following tribute:

"Kevin was the light and love in all our lives and he will always be close in our hearts." The Commanding Officer said;

"Corporal Kevin Mulligan was the epitome of a professional soldier; diligent, selfless, caring, with a profound sense of duty. A charismatic man with an irrepressible sense of humour, he was overwhelmingly popular and universally respected. An exceptional leader, he died how he led his life, at the forefront of his men.

"He gave his life for his comrades and for The Parachute Regiment, both of which were dear to him. We count ourselves privileged to have known this dedicated, brave soldier and every member of the Unit is proud and deeply honoured to have served alongside him. Our feelings are perhaps best encapsulated through the words of one of the private soldiers under Kevin's command, who said quite simply, that 'Corporal Mulligan was everything I aspire to become'.

"Our thoughts are with his family, his fiancée, and his unborn child at this incredibly difficult time. In the midst of their profound loss we hope that they can draw strength from the same fond memories we all share."

Lance Corporal Dale Thomas Hopkins

Lance Corporal Hopkin's family paid the following tribute:

"Dale was a loving son and brother. He was a determined, energetic man who loved life. We are so very proud of him and all that he achieved.

"We are all devastated that such a wonderful and popular person is now missing from our lives. Dale will be sadly missed by his family, friends and colleagues."

The Commanding Officer said:

"Dale was an immensely proud, forthright and honest man who took an abiding joy in soldiering. An outstanding and utterly professional paratrooper, he readily embraced the self sacrifice, responsibility and dedication required of his profession. He died doing the job he so loved, alongside the comrades that meant so much to him.

"He gave his life for his fellow comrades and for The Parachute Regiment. We are privileged to have counted such a brave, upright and professional soldier as one of our own, and every man in the Unit is proud and honoured to have served with him."

"At this difficult time we think about Dale's family, to whom he was so dedicated. Our thoughts and prayers go out to them and we hope that they can draw strength, as we do, from fond memories of an exceptional young man."

Private Kyle Adams

Private Adams' family said:

"Before his deployment Private Adams said to his father. "Dad, I'm not a soldier. I'm a Para."

His Father paid the following tribute.

"He was a loving: Son, Brother, Uncle, Nephew, Grandson, and Boyfriend. He was the life and soul of any party. He has left a big hole and he will be sorely missed."

The Commanding Officer said;

"Private Kyle Adams was an undemonstrative, yet utterly professional soldier. Always ready for the next challenge, he was a real team player, and indeed was a talented sportsman.

"The focus, selflessness and responsibility required of his profession came naturally to him. He died doing the work he loved, alongside the comrades who held him in such high regard.

"He gave his life for his fellow comrades and The Parachute Regiment. We who served with him are privileged and honoured to have known such a brave, committed and enthusiastic young soldier.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to Kyle's family at this incredibly difficult time. We hope that the fond memories of an inspiring young man can in some way help them, as they do us."

Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth said;

"I was deeply saddened to hear of the loss of Cpl Kevin Mulligan, LCpl Dale Hopkins and Pte Kyle Adams, all of The Parachute Regiment, whilst on patrol north of Lashkar Gah. These men were highly gifted individuals at the forefront of their profession and their loss is a heavy blow.

"They were working alongside Afghan Security Forces when they made the ultimate sacrifice in pursuit of a brighter future for the Afghan people. I continue to be inspired by the incredible professionalism, bravery and commitment of our armed forces. As a nation, we are exceptionally lucky to have them.

"My thoughts and heartfelt sympathy are with the family, friends and colleagues of these three men. This is an extremely difficult time, but I have no doubt that our forces' resolve to succeed in their vital work in Afghanistan will remain undiminished."

Rest in peace lads
« Last Edit: August 8, 2009, 01:44:21 pm by BIGdavalad »

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #1304 on: August 8, 2009, 02:08:17 pm »
RIP lads...
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1305 on: August 8, 2009, 06:38:06 pm »
Rest in peace Kevin.
Rest in peace Dale.
Rest in peace Kyle.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #1306 on: August 8, 2009, 06:46:17 pm »
R.I.P lads.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1307 on: August 8, 2009, 07:49:42 pm »
Rest in peace.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #1308 on: August 9, 2009, 06:25:16 am »
I don't know what to say, I've only been away for a month:
RIP lads:
Dan, John, Jay, James, Murph, Danny, Scotty, Togey, Daz, Etch, Dan, Chris, Hoppo, Sean, Lenny, Lombo, Kev, dale, Kyle.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1309 on: August 9, 2009, 08:12:21 am »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a British soldier from The 2nd Battalion The Mercian Regiment was killed in Afghanistan, yesterday, Saturday 8 August 2009.

The soldier died following an explosion while on patrol, just east of Gereshk in Helmand Province, yesterday afternoon.

Lieutenant Colonel Mark Wenham, Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, said:

"Each and every loss that we sustain in Helmand sends reverberations throughout the Brigade. Today we mourn the loss of a soldier who died working to make Afghanistan a better place.

"He was prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice, displaying bravery that was second to none. Our thoughts are with his family and we offer them our deepest and heartfelt condolences at this tragic time."

Next of kin have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before further details are released.

Rest in peace Woofer

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #1310 on: August 9, 2009, 08:41:27 am »
It is with deep regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of Craftsman Anthony Lombardi of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME), attached to The Light Dragoons, in Afghanistan on Tuesday 4 August 2009.

Craftsman (Cfn) Lombardi was killed in Babaji, in the Lashkar Gar district of Helmand province.  He was attached as a vehicle mechanic to Emsdorf Troop, a CVR(T) [Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Tracked)] group from The Light Dragoons serving with A Company, 2nd Battalion The Mercian Regiment (Worcesters & Foresters) (2 MERCIAN).

Cfn Lombardi was driving a CVR(T) Spartan as part of an escort for a Viking supply convoy, moving between the company's two locations when the vehicle was hit by an explosion.  The force of the explosion breached the hull, killing him instantly.

Craftsman Anthony Lombardi

Cfn Lombardi was born on 8 October 1987 and grew up in Scunthorpe, South Humberside.  He joined the Army in September 2004 and finished training at the School of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering in Bordon in February 2006.  He was then posted to 15 Equipment Support Company, 19 Light Brigade Combat Service Support Battalion, as a Vehicle Mechanic where he furthered his knowledge of the trade.  After qualifying as a Class 2 mechanic, he was posted to The Light Dragoons Light Aid Detachment (LAD) in July 2008.
Known as "Lombo" to his friends, Cfn Lombardi was a talented sportsman and represented the Army Youth Team and the REME at football.

He is survived by his parents, Helen and Walter, and his fiancée, Ellie, with whom he had a one-year-old son, Harvey.

Anthony's family paid the following tribute:

"Anthony was a loving son, brother, father, uncle and fiancé. Everyone who loved Anthony is proud of him for who he was and for what he was doing in the Army.

"Everyone is gutted that such a talented, wonderful and popular person is now missing from their lives and his son will never grow up and understand what an amazing star Anthony was. He will be sadly missed by his family, friends and colleagues."

Lieutenant Colonel Gus Fair, Commanding Officer of The Light Dragoons, said:

"Cfn Lombardi had all the qualities one would expect of a REME soldier – intelligent, driven and a brilliant mechanic. More than that, though, he was the life and soul of his peer group.  Always at the centre of any social event, he applied the same vigour and enthusiasm for life to his work.  No matter how little sleep he had, or how complicated and lengthy his repair was, Cfn Lombardi would have a smile on his face and an infectious enthusiasm that carried his section forward. He was hugely popular and undoubtedly had the potential to go far.

"We have been privileged to have a soldier of this singular quality attached to the Regiment and we, along with his many close friends in the REME, will feel his loss deeply.  All of our thoughts remain with his family; His parents, Helen and Walter, and his fiancée and their young son, Harvey. We are desperately sorry for this terrible loss."

Captain Dave Bunker, Officer Commanding The Light Dragoons' LAD, said.

"Cfn Lombardi, or Lombo to his many friends, was an inspiration.  I first met him on Salisbury Plain in June 2008 where he was attached to the LAD from 15 Equipment Support Company.  It was there that I first saw the quality of this young and talented man.  He was the perfect tradesman; fit, bold, cheerful and incredibly bright.  He was desperate to come to The Light Dragoons and with his ability and character he was welcomed with open arms.

"He touched so many people during his life.  His beaming smile and sense of fun lit up the lives of all who he encountered.  His very presence motivated everyone to give their best.  His prowess with a spanner was only matched by his skills on the dance floor where he truly astounded us all. He was an avid footballer who played for the Army Youth Team and at every other opportunity.

"Cfn Lombardi was an expert on CVR(T) and he kept his Troop moving through thick and thin.  I was utterly confident in knowing that when he was with the Troop, that the job would be done to the highest of standards and in record time.  Cfn Lombardi died [while serving] with his friends, while doing a tough job with determination and considerable style.

"He was truly marked for greatness and had an abundance of Artificer qualities.  He was a true credit to the REME and the gift of his presence amongst us can never be replaced.

"The loss of Cfn Lombardi has been felt deeply by his many friends and he will always be in our hearts.  Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and, in particular, his much loved fiancée, Ellie, and their son, Harvey."

Major Paddy Ginn, Officer Commanding A (Grenadier Company), 2 MERCIAN, said:

"Cfn Lombardi was in Emsdorf Troop, attached to A (Grenadier) Company for Op HERRICK.  As his Company Commander I was amazed by his abilities both as soldier and a skilled craftsman. He had the rarely seen ability to be the master of both trades.  Truly selfless, he would think nothing of working through the night to repair the CVR(T) vehicles that the Company relied on for support.  That the vehicles never failed is a direct result of his awesome capacity for hard work.

"Always cheerful, he was never fazed by the engineering problems that the lads of Emsdorf Troop presented him.  But he could also soldier with the best of the infantry, and would volunteer for the toughest patrols and operations.  His cheerful character and good humour were a source of comfort in the tough times that the company has faced on this tour.

"However bad the lads feel at his loss, it is nothing compared to the feelings of his family and fiancée.  Our thoughts are with them in this most difficult of times.  He was a top lad who will be sorely missed by all that had the privilege of serving with him.  God rest, Lombo; you made a mark on all of us that will never be forgotten."

Lieutenant Tresham Gregg, Emsdorf Troop Leader, said:

"Cfn Lombardi, 'Lombo' for short, had an infinite amount of enthusiasm for life.  He was a devoted partner to his fiancée, Ellie, and a loving father to his son, Harvey, whom Lombo was always keen and proud to talk about.  He was also the most extremely talented soldier with an exceptional knowledge of his trade.  I know this first hand having tested his ability to fix my vehicles on numerous occasions during these last four months in Afghanistan.  He never failed to come up trumps no matter how hard I tried!

"Lombo was a soldier who never complained no matter what was asked of him.  He seemed to excel when put under pressure and offer advice and help as and when it was needed. I could not have asked for a better individual to have had in my troop.  He had an incredibly caring character that was able to enthuse morale back into the whole troop in all situations.

"It was a distinct pleasure to have known and worked with Cfn Lombardi and a real privilege to have had such a professional soldier under my command.

"Whilst in Afghanistan I had a number of conversations with Lombo during which he told me that he had plans of buying a house with his fiancée and that he could not wait to see his son Harvey on his return from theatre.  I had so much admiration for his dedication and love towards his friends and family.  For this reason my heart goes out to all his loved ones during this terribly sad time.

"This disastrous loss of Cfn Lombardi will always be in my mind.  He was an individual with so much to offer in everything he did and thus was destined to be a success both in the army and at home.

"Speaking for the whole of Emsdorf Troop, we will always cherish the short time we knew this remarkable individual. Lombo, our friend, you will never be forgotten. Rest in peace."

Warrant Officer Class Two Willy Willcoxson, Light Dragoons' LAD Artificer Quartermaster Sergeant, said.

"I first met Cfn Anthony Lombardi (Lombo) when he was part of a Forward Repair Team from 19 CSS [Combat Service Support] Battalion and was attached to the Light Dragoons during Regimental Training in 2008.  He was one of those irrepressible vehicle mechanics who were never really happy unless he was tired, dirty and elbow deep in an engine.  He impressed the LAD so much that when he suggested that he wanted a posting to us, we simply had to have him.

"On arrival he was immediately within his element, deploying all over the UK training and supporting the Regiment's training. His cheerful and exuberant character immediately bonded him into a close-knit Squadron Fitter Section and LAD.

"Lombo was an Army Youth Team Footballer and also represented the REME.  He was 'Mr Entertainment' at social functions and never declined the challenge of a dance off.  He was fiercely proud of his fiancée, Ellie, and his son, Harvey, who was his pride and joy.

"His passing is felt tremendously within the Light Dragoons family and especially the LAD who recognised a soldier and friend who was always in the thick of the action."

Staff Sergeant Baz Hall, C Squadron Artificer, said.

"Cfn 'Lombo' Lombardi was a young man with a very promising future ahead of him. His 'work hard/play hard' attitude made him very popular both in and out of work.  I am very proud to have known him, to have worked with him and to have called him a friend.  Words can not describe the loss that we all feel because such an outstanding friend, soldier and tradesman has been taken from us.

"Our thoughts go out to his family, especially his fiancée, Ellie, and baby son, Harvey, who will now never experience the love that he had for him. Rest in peace Lombo."

Sgt Shaun Stockley, C Squadron Sergeant and Cfn Lombardi's vehicle commander for three months in Afghanistan, said:

"He was the top Craftsman Vehicle Mechanic in the Light Dragoons LAD. Fact.  He was a great sportsman, a great tradesman and a great friend. He lived life with the passion that it deserved.  The little that I do know about CVR(T) was all thanks to him.  He would take great pleasure in reversing my repair decisions knowing full well that he was right. He never glorified or revelled in war, he knew that it was serious business.  He was there to support the Troop and his mates, always cracking on with the job regardless of the circumstances.  He was always first to offer a hand, 'your problem' would soon become 'our problem' and he would stay until the last nut and bolt was tightened.  He will be greatly missed by his work colleagues and the Light Dragoons whom he supported.

"He loved his young family so much, I realised this long before the hundredth time that he had shown me his family pictures, and always with such great pride. It may be little consolation to his parents at this sad time, but he was a son that any man would have been proud of."

Staff Sergeant Michael Ogilvie, friend from Light Dragoons' LAD, said:

"Mischievous smile, life and soul of the party, hard working, professional, dedicated and socially awesome.  All of these things describe Lombo and a million other flattering words as well.  What is easier said is that we are all lucky people as we met this inspiring young man and are all richer for it. Lombo. Loved by all, missed by all."

Cpl James Short, a vehicle commander in Emsdorf Troop, The Light Dragoons, said:

"Cfn Lombardi, or Lombo as he was known, was a key part of Emsdorf Troop.  Without his skill and commitment to his trade Emsdorf Troop wouldn't have been able to function.  I know how committed he was when he worked flat out all through the night on my vehicle after I submerged it, not letting us work on it so we could get some rest. This was a real testament to his character.  We always turned to him when we needed any advice on the vehicles.

"Not only a truly gifted mechanic but he was also a keen soldier who never ticked or whinged but just got on with it.

"Lombo was a keen and gifted footballer who represented the REME Corps side and was keen to get stuck into the Light Dragoons side when he got back from tour. He was a proud father to his son Harvey and was looking forward to getting a house with his fiancée.

"He was a credit to the REME, The Light Dragoons and the Army. Lombo you were a top lad, a true grafter and a friend to everyone. We'll never forget you mate."

Lance Corporal John Cartwright, a friend from Light Dragoons' LAD, said:

"I first met Lombo while at The Light Dragoons' LAD. I instantly knew that we were going to become friends, as he was one of the easiest going people that I have ever met.  Lombo always had a little something about him that could see the good in any task, no matter how meaningless it may have seemed. Yet he always carried it out with a smile on his face, even when everybody else couldn't.

"To have worked with Lombo is an absolute honour but to be able to call him a friend, words cannot describe.  He will be missed dearly by everybody who knew him and I am sure that he will never be forgotten.  My thoughts go out to his family and friends at this very difficult time."

Cfn Stefan Rossi, a friend, said:

"Lombo was so easy to get along with and always having a laugh! I remember one time out on the ground at around three in the morning and we had a job on a CVR(T) to do. I was absolutely knackered and had no enthusiasm for the job, but Lombo was well up for it.  He kept smiling and making me laugh.  He boosted my morale and we were able to complete the job in no time. Cfn Lombardi was an awesome soldier and an awesome Vehicle Mechanic.  I would work with him anytime in any conditions."

LCpl Damo Crick, a friend from Light Dragoons' LAD, said:

"I first met Lombo on my arrival at the Light Dragoons where he was the first person to welcome me into the workshop.  As soon as I met him I knew we would get on well. He had an awesome sense of humour and loved playing pranks on people as well as looking after his friends, as he did with me one night after I had a few too many.  He was a joy to work with and his enthusiasm never dropped no matter what task given to him, the time of day or whether he was tired. He would just get on with it with the same unforgettable smile that he always had.

"It has been an absolute honour to have worked with Lombo and also to have had him as a friend. Everyone in the LAD will miss him dearly and he will always be in our thoughts, as will be his family and friends.  I am very sorry for your loss."

Cpl Derek Meffen, a friend, said:

"Cfn Lombardi was one of the finest craftsmen I have ever worked alongside. It was obvious to me at an early stage that he had what it takes to go a long way within the REME.  He would never complain even when it was 0530 in the morning and he was stuck upside down in the hull of a CVR(T) on Salisbury Plain.  He had such a great sense of humour and was always smiling.

"I remember when he told me he was going to be a dad and he was so proud, I think he was smiling for a full month. It is such a shame that his life was taken from him so early as he was one of the best. My heart goes out to his fiancée and young child as well as his family.  Goodbye Lombo; you were a great friend. Gone for now but never forgotten."

Craftsman Luke Keenan, a friend, said:

"Cfn Lombardi and I started basic training together and became very good friends. From the first time I met Cfn Lombardi he was a great source of morale. He had an awesome sense of humour, and coming from "Sunny Scunny" as he called it I guess he needed it. We nicknamed him 'Balboa', but for the life of me I cannot remember why. He was never one to let the lads down and he was always there to help anyone out if they needed it.

"I last saw Craftsman Lombardi at his new posting in Swanton Morley with the Light Dragoons. He hadn't changed a bit and, as always, was surrounded by good friends having a laugh and a joke. Cfn Lombardi was proud to announce to me that he recently had a child with his loving fiancée. My thoughts and prayers go out to them both and his whole family in this time of need.

"Goodbye Balboa, you will be sorely missed."

"I was very saddened to learn of the death of Craftsman Anthony Lombardi. From the tributes of his friends and commanders he comes across as having been a hugely positive force in his unit; enthusiastic, talented and committed, and with a bright future ahead of him. I can only offer my deepest sympathy and respect to the grieving family of a man who died doing such vital work for us all."

Rest in peace Lombo
he was my sisters brother in law,big liverpool fan,rip anthony

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1311 on: August 9, 2009, 06:35:08 pm »
Rest in peace Dale, Kyle and Kevin

Rest in peace Woofer.

Please pass on my deepest sympathy to your Sister and her Husband, cox3100

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1312 on: August 9, 2009, 06:53:36 pm »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a British soldier from The 2nd Battalion The Mercian Regiment was killed in Afghanistan, yesterday, Saturday 8 August 2009.

The soldier died following an explosion while on patrol, just east of Gereshk in Helmand Province, yesterday afternoon.

Lieutenant Colonel Mark Wenham, Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, said:

"Each and every loss that we sustain in Helmand sends reverberations throughout the Brigade. Today we mourn the loss of a soldier who died working to make Afghanistan a better place.

"He was prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice, displaying bravery that was second to none. Our thoughts are with his family and we offer them our deepest and heartfelt condolences at this tragic time."

Rest in peace Woofer
Just found out that the soldier that was with him, is my missus' mate's brother. He's currently in Selly Oak hospital being treated for shrapnel wounds and there's a possibility that he could lose his arm. :(
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1314 on: August 10, 2009, 07:05:00 pm »

It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Private Jason George Williams from 2nd Battalion The Mercian Regiment was killed in Afghanistan on Saturday 8 August 2009.

Private Williams was killed following an explosion while on patrol just east of Gereshk in Helmand province on Saturday afternoon.

On the day of his death, Private Williams' platoon was securing the site of an attack which had occurred earlier that day during which three Afghan National Army Warriors were killed.

Private Jason George Williams

Private Jason Williams, aged 23 from Worcester, joined 2nd Battalion The Mercian Regiment (Worcesters and Foresters) [2 MERCIAN] in November 2008 after completing the Combat Infantryman's Course at the Infantry Training Centre, Catterick.

He deployed to Afghanistan with A (Grenadier) Company of 2 MERCIAN on Op HERRICK 10. The company operates with The Light Dragoons Battle Group. His platoon is detached with C Squadron of The Light Dragoons working with the Danish Battle Group.

In Helmand province Private Williams' platoon has operated from Forward Operating Base (FOB) Keenan at Zumbelay in the Upper Gereshk Valley. The platoon plays a crucial role providing security to the local population, enabling the reconstruction and redevelopment of the area.

Private Williams played his part to the full, deploying daily on routine security patrols and taking part in many deliberate offensive operations to rout insurgents operating in the local area. These operations were carried out with the threat of improvised explosive devices and ambushes ever present.

Private Williams and his platoon patrolled and fought alongside a platoon of Warriors of the Afghan National Army (ANA) who share the FOB. It was commonplace that they would be fighting side-by-side in their joint efforts to build the ANA's fighting capability and provide security to the people. They fought as brothers and as equals.

On the day of his death, Private Williams' platoon was securing the site of an attack which had occurred earlier that day during which three ANA Warriors were killed. One of the three ANA dead could not be found and Private Williams' platoon was securing the area in order to prevent insurgents seizing his corpse. During this security operation Private Williams initiated an improvised explosive device and was killed.

Private Williams' family said in a statement:

"Jason was a loving and caring son and brother. The Army gave him a sense of purpose and enthusiasm for life which stretched beyond the boundaries of his work. We are so proud of Jason and we will miss him every day."

Lieutenant Colonel Simon Banton, Commanding Officer, 2nd Battalion The Mercian Regiment (Worcesters and Foresters), said:

"No task or mission was too great for Jason and any request for help would be met by 'Yes, Boss' and a broad smile. He remained cheerful in spite of any hardship. During his short time in the Army Jason had been part of so much and his actions have made a tangible difference to the Afghan people of Zumbelay.

"On the day he died Jason was taking part in an action which adhered to every soldiers' oldest code: leave no man behind. His brave determination and commitment to his brothers in arms ensured that the Afghan Warrior's family are able to pay their proper respects to their own fallen son.

"For his selfless sacrifice, ANA Warriors now refer to Jason as a hero. He will be remembered by the MERCIAN Regiment with honour and by his mates for his irrepressible smile. Our prayers are with his family who are devastated by his loss."

Major Paddy Ginn, Officer Commanding A (Grenadier Company), said:

"Pte Jason Williams turned up to A Company at the start of pre-deployment training for Afghanistan. He had an eagerness and enthusiastic approach to the Army. No matter what he did he always had a smile on his face. He loved socialising around his home town of Worcester, and was always keen to share his tales of his nights out with other members of the company.

"He was part of 2 Platoon, A (Grenadier) Company, based at FOB KEENAN. He quickly adapted to this new challenge and was an important part of the team. He was well liked and proved to be very popular member of the company.

"He was a constant source of morale and always lifted the spirits of others, no matter what the situation was. He died doing the job he loved and he was killed while helping in the recovery of other casualties. He will be sorely missed and will always be remembered.

"He was a true Grenadier and our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends throughout this very difficult time."

Major Sam Plant, Officer Commanding C Squadron Group, Light Dragoons, said:

"In Pte Jason Williams, the FOB KEENAN Team has lost a true star - he was an all-rounder. What was most striking was the high regard in which he was held by his peers and seniors alike.

"As a soldier, he was forward leaning and dynamic and he showed a depth of understanding of the bigger picture in Afghanistan that belied his relative lack of experience. This maturity and intelligence helped him undertake tasks, both exciting and mundane, with equal determination and an unquenchable desire to succeed.

"He was also a great friend and support to everyone. His cheerful and positive approach to life was infectious and he quickly became central to the morale of his Platoon. Pte Williams was synonymous with laugher and happiness.

"Pte Williams was a shining star with an exceptionally bright future. He was a natural soldier and a leader of the future possessing intelligence, common sense, team spirit and courage in abundance.

"His untimely death leaves a hole that will never be filled but we have great memories that will always make us smile. It was a privilege for all of us in FOB KEENAN to have worked with him and to have been his friend. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this difficult time."

Warrant Officer Class 2 Rich Page, A Company Sergeant Major, said:

"I will always remember Pte Williams as having a smiling face and a beaming smile through our build up training no matter how wet, how cold or how arduous the task was at the time.

"I will miss our Sunday night chats returning to Belfast as we usually returned on the same flight. My thoughts and heartfelt sorrow go to his family, friends and fellow Grenadiers. We will miss you greatly."

Lieutenant Duncan Hadland, his Platoon Commander, said:

"Pte Jason Williams joined 2 Platoon, A Company in November 2008. From the moment he joined us his amazing cheerfulness and friendliness stood out. He had no problems settling in, helped greatly by his huge character and good nature - the fact that it was impossible to put him in a bad mood became evident early on.

"In addition to his outstanding personality Pte Williams was also an excellent soldier who could be relied upon totally. He never said no to any task and would always perform any job, no matter how mundane, with an ever-present smile on his face.

"More impressive than this though was the manner in which he managed to pass this enthusiasm on to others who may not have been as keen on the job as him! He was relatively inexperienced but I was more than happy that he would have made the grade as a Junior Non-Commissioned Officer and I was ready to put him on the first available JNCO Cadre after the tour."

Corporal Jason Birch, a Section Commander in 2 Platoon, said:

"Pte Williams was an outstanding soldier. Always up for a challenge whatever that would be. You could never ask anything more from Pte Williams; he would put 100% into everything. He brought morale to the Platoon and Section - every Section would benefit from a Pte Williams, never without a smile on his face. You will be enormously missed.

"Always remembered, never forgotten."

Lance Corporal Glenn Swann, 2 Platoon, said:

"These are just a few words about a very good comrade but most of all a very good friend. Jason Williams was an outstanding friend, always smiling, always laughing and always joking. However, when it came to doing his job, he took it very seriously and professionally.

"A silent thought
    A daily tear
    A constant wish that your smile was here
    An empty space that only your humour could fill
    We miss you so much and always will.

Always remembered, never forgot."

Trooper Bull, Privatetes Browne, Birch, and King, friends in 2 Section, said:

"Pte Williams may be gone but he can never be forgotten. When in his company you would instantly feel happier and his personality would win over any bad day. 2 Platoon has lost a good soldier but an even better friend.

"This message is from all of 2 Section, 2 Platoon - Pte Williams' section. We can't find any words to describe what Pte Williams was like. He was a self-confessed 'happy chappy'. He was the Section's morale, keeping us cheerful all of the time.

"When we were down, he was always the first one to pick us up. We cannot remember any occasions when Williams was feeling down or unhappy because he always had a smile on his face. We will all miss you and you will always be in our hearts no matter what. May your soul rest in peace.

"From all your close mates in 2 Section."

Private Dominic Carraher, 2 Platoon, said:

"Jason Williams, the 'daddy of us all', was one of the nicest men you could ever meet. In the whole time I have known him, I have never seen him down or distraught because he was too busy keeping everyone else happy. He had one of those smiles that would make you smile no matter where you were or what you were doing.

"We used to have little arguments about who was best at volleyball even though we were both shocking! Williams was one of those people who had a good presence about them and someone who you could look up to and tell anything. The things I will always remember Pte Williams for are his constant happiness in all situations and that he was always so kind and generous to everyone he met. I will never forget him as long as I live. He is a true hero.

"Here's what Pte Williams wrote on one of the FOB Keenan sangar walls - 'A man is not finished when he is defeated. A man is finished when he quits!'"

Private Aron Davis, 2 Platoon, said:

"Williams was the best type of friend. He made you feel good no matter what. He would always be smiling and you could not help but smile with him. He didn't have a bad bone in his body - a top bloke and he would go out of his way to help if he could.

"He was always up for a laugh and that's what made Williams, Williams. Nobody ever had a bad word to say against him; he was part of the Worcester Gang and I will always remember him for the soldier he was and an absolutely great friend."

Private Jason Fletcher 2 Platoon, said:

"Pte Williams was a good friend of mine. We first met in Catterick whilst we were enjoying a conversation about the weekend ahead. Williams and myself were both from Worcester and lived very close by, with just a row of houses between us.

"Although Williams was a few weeks ahead of me in training, we regularly saw each other in the smoking shelter and laughed and joked about that days' training. Every time I saw Jason, there would be an awesome smile on his face whilst nodding his head and grinning. I always knew that we were about to have a funny conversation.

"Jason was definitely a future NCO and many of us knew him as a hardworking caring person. He would always laugh and joke and he would never turn away when I asked for advice. He would always be prepared to help everyone as much as he possibly could.

"Pte Williams. Gone but not forgotten and will always be in our minds and in our hearts."

"I was saddened to hear of the death of Private Jason Williams of 2nd Battalion the Mercian Regiment (Worcesters and Foresters). He was doing a vital job, living and working alongside the Afghan National Army to bring security and a better future to the people of Afghanistan.

"It is clear from the tributes of his colleagues that he was an outstanding soldier - brave, cheerful and popular, with a bright future ahead of him. I extend my profound condolences to his family, comrades and friends at this most difficult time."

Rest in peace Jason

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1315 on: August 11, 2009, 07:53:33 am »
Just found out that the soldier that was with him, is my missus' mate's brother. He's currently in Selly Oak hospital being treated for shrapnel wounds and there's a possibility that he could lose his arm. :(

It's shit how many lads are coming home with serious injuries, which is something that I don't think is reported on all that much anymore. The number of serious injuries is mind boggling - there were 16 T1 (all casualties are given a 'T' status for evacuation - T3 are walking wounded, T2 are non-walking but non life threatening, T1 are life threatening or been given morphine, which automatically bumps you up to T1 because of the possible side effects) casualties in that incident where the five Rifles lads were killed alone.

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #1316 on: August 11, 2009, 12:04:19 pm »
RIP Jason
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #1317 on: August 11, 2009, 02:28:27 pm »
Rest in peace Jason.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1318 on: August 11, 2009, 03:47:53 pm »
Rest in peace Jason.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1319 on: August 13, 2009, 06:36:53 pm »
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that three British soldiers, two from The 2nd Battalion The Rifles and a third from 40 Regiment Royal Artillery have died following an explosion while on patrol near Sangin in Helmand Province this morning, Thursday 13 August 2009.

Lieutenant Colonel Nick Richardson, Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, said:

"Today has been incredibly sad for the whole of Task Force Helmand, and particularly for The Rifles battlegroup, with whom all 3 soldiers were serving.

"We will all feel the loss of these brave soldiers, but it is their family, friends and loved ones, as well as the men and women who served alongside them, who feel the greatest pain and we offer them our deepest and heartfelt condolences, thoughts and prayers."

"The loss of these brave men, and of all those who have been killed in Afghanistan since 2002, is a tragedy.

"It brings us very close to the sad milestone of 200 fatalities in this conflict. We cannot help but reflect on the toll the mission has taken on our people and their families and friends.

"But we must also keep in the forefront of our minds how important it is to the security of this country and its citizens.

"So many young men and women have been injured or given their lives to ensure that Afghanistan does not fall back into the hands of the extremists and the terrorists who seek to threaten us and our interests. We must succeed. And we will."

Rest in peace lads.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 06:48:55 pm by BIGdavalad »