Author Topic: Best LIVE album ever  (Read 16625 times)

Pheeny

Re: Best LIVE album ever
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2005, 08:38:06 pm »
do lighten up Low I was only joking.I for one know that what you say when talking about your old man is not bullshit.I guess I should have used a smilie :wave

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2005, 08:39:13 pm »
Lemmy? The vicar's son from Colwyn Bay. Rev Willis or something?

I'm confused about his parentage. I've never been sure if the vicar was his father, or step-father. Because his name was Willis at one point but he was apparently born Kilmister. The vicar is certainly the one he calls his father in song though. Check out "Poison" off Bomber (I think) for some pretty telling lyrics.

I

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2005, 08:42:53 pm »

Pheeny

« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2005, 08:44:12 pm »

Offline Kinch

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2005, 08:44:40 pm »
You may have got the wrong end of my stick. I might have needed the grammar police there. My Dad is not a Big Pal of Lemmy. He's a big pal of someone - let's call him Mr M - who is a Big Pal of Lemmy's and a pretty good friend of Brian Robertson. My Dad knew Lemmy well in the '80s when he wrote a front page story on Motorhead for a music paper,  spent a week on tour with the band later the same year and would often bump into him around the London club scene. But I doubt he's seen him more than a dozen times in the last ten years.

My own impression of Lemmy is that what you see is what you get. He's just a bloke who likes his booze, slot machines and laydees. He's a bit hard to get to know because he has "trust issues", but he's not as scary as his image might suggest. He seems to know exactly who he is, and to be happy with that. He doesn't try to impress you or act like a star. He's got a way with words. And he can be very passionate on some subjects. But he is shorter than you'd expect.

Based on my limited experience, anyone who tried to keep up with Lemmy's drinking is going to end up regretting it. I don't think I've ever seen him eat. But he drinks vodka - and presumably other stuff - like it was water.

Thanks for that  :wave
"Since the beginning of the world you have fought against our gentle power with your coarse weakness; and when you triumph over us for an hour, you croak and clamour merrily like the frogs of the water. And when we conquer you and subdue you for an age, we remain as silent giants."

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2005, 08:57:00 pm »
Where did you get the stick? and how did you get the wrong end?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2005, 09:30:38 pm »

And I am not going to out my "music journo" self because it's irrelevant to who I am here and I wouldn't want to cause trouble for myself there by issuing an open invitation to every Tom, Dick and Rashid to do something I'd regret. But I will say it's no biggie. Just that I do write - occasionally and unpaid - for a reasonably well known web site. Is that hard to believe? Then don't believe me. I won't mention it again. I only mentioned it this time because it seemed nicely self-depreciating to say that all music journos are losers who can't play, and I should know because I am one.

Christ, you are Julie Burchill aren't you? Let it lie about whatshisface will yer, it's boring the tits off me.

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2005, 09:57:36 pm »
I'm confused about his parentage. I've never been sure if the vicar was his father, or step-father. Because his name was Willis at one point but he was apparently born Kilmister. The vicar is certainly the one he calls his father in song though. Check out "Poison" off Bomber (I think) for some pretty telling lyrics.

I

I....... *baits breath*

I was sure he was born Willis himself. Could be mistaken, hence not sure about the stepdad link.

Will check it out and check back in later :wave

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2005, 03:18:16 pm »
Let it lie about whatshisface will yer, it's boring the tits off me.

And your tits are the single most important thing in my world.

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2005, 03:32:22 pm »
I....... *baits breath*

I was sure he was born Willis himself. Could be mistaken, hence not sure about the stepdad link.

Will check it out and check back in later :wave

I'm still confused, but ...

Apparently, he was born Ian Fraser Kilmister. Kilmister was the name of his father, a minister. His parents divorced and his mother married George Willis, who used to play for Bolton Wanderers. Apparently :)

My father used to be a preacher
Never taught me nothing but scorn
If I ever catch him on the street
I'll make him wish he'd never been born

He was poison
I guess he poisoned my life

- Poison

"My father left when I was three months old, a pretty fucking bloody trick. I finally met him when I was 25, in some restaurant. He was in charge of the Middlesex Hospital, and the only plan he offered me to make up for all those years was a position as a representative on the road." Apparently, Lemmy got up and walked out before his old man could finish his offer. Apparently.

Offline anfield_reds

• Legacy Fan
  • We're only in it for the money
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2005, 11:14:17 pm »
some very good rock live albums :

Led Zeppelin - BBC Sessions
The Who - Live at the Isle of Wight Festival
Aerosmith - Bootlegs
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live Rust and Weld
Deep Purple - Nobody's perfect
Ted Nugent - Live Gonzo
Rory Gallagher - Irish tour and Stage Struck
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Live Alive
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Roger Waters - Live in Berlin
Ramones - Loco Live
MC5 - Kick out the Jams
The Clash - From here to eternity
Maiden - Live at Donington
G3 (Satriani/Vai/Johnson) - Live
Lynyrd Skynyrd - One more from the road
Hendrix - Woodstock
Dire Straits - Alchemy live
Ac/dc - Live and Let there be rock the movie (live in Paris)
Frank Zappa - YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE volume I, II, III, IV, V & VI
Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention - Fillmore East

some Legendary live albums :

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2005, 11:52:26 pm »
Apparently, he was born Ian Fraser Kilmister.

See, that's where we differ.

I have read a few places where he is born Ian Fraser Willis.

Pheeny

« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2005, 11:53:44 pm »

I thought he was born with no name but given one a couple of mins later?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2005, 12:12:41 am »
And your tits are the single most important thing in my world.

there are other bits, tho it's true that my tits are very sensitive.

(I was making a joke about Burchill ;) )

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2005, 12:30:20 am »

It still has me confused because I've heard both. But I know his genetic father was the one-time preacher. And I know George Willis was a footballer not a preacher. So Kilmister must've been his father's name. But then, one naturally asks, why revert from Willis to Kilmister? My aged male parental unit says it was because it was the name on his birth certificate and it was easier for passports/visas et cetera.

*still confused*

Here's a few links kindly provided by Monsiuer Le Google

http://www.answers.com/topic/lemmy-kilmister  ... learnt a few new Lemtrufax here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/halloffame/showbiz/lemmy.shtml ... includes testimony from a childhood friend

I'd put money on Kilmister. But I wouldn't want to be the one to ask Lem for an official answer :)

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2005, 12:37:48 am »
You might not have to.

From an interview with him in the gruniad:

"Lemmy's father was a vicar who left when his son was still a baby."

However I often bow to the online knowledge of Wikipedia

Offline Pooch

• Not a fan of Michael Winner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont keep calling me Shirley!
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2005, 12:43:24 am »

.... an open invitation to every Tom, Dick and Rashid

:lmao :wellin

Every single beat is red !

Offline Kinch

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2005, 02:13:18 am »
While we're on the topic of live albums, Fugazi have put out a number of their live shows which you can pick up for $8.00 a piece ($10.00 for double-disc).  I recommend 9-3-87 WASHINGTON, DC/ WILSON CENTER FIRST SHOW, 11-6-90 NANCY, FRANCE/ TERMINAL EXPORT and 10-27-95 SEATTLE, WASHINGTON/ DV8

http://www.fugaziliveseries.com/

"Since the beginning of the world you have fought against our gentle power with your coarse weakness; and when you triumph over us for an hour, you croak and clamour merrily like the frogs of the water. And when we conquer you and subdue you for an age, we remain as silent giants."

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2005, 02:24:45 am »
One of the best were Fugazi. Up there with all the greats.

Offline Kinch

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2005, 02:29:05 am »
Great band and wouldn't charge more than $5 for a show if possible.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2005, 02:37:58 am »
saw them once over in the UK. No real lighting - just house lights up full blast and all those great songs. Sheer energy and purpose. Magic band, magic MacKaye. Can't beat Minor Threat's 'Filler', but I'm obviously biased ;)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2005, 10:01:06 am »
I love live music.

However, I hate live albums. With a passion. They just sound so shit compared to actually being there. And they sound so shit compared to studio albums where.

Offline conrad-m

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2005, 12:36:44 pm »
Hey Paul - any luck with the ticket?  ;) (sorry, wrong forum i know)

I'm with you on live albums - with one exception - Bob Marley And The Wailers - Live At The Lyceum
it's classic - the live version of No Woman No Cry is miles better than the studio version. In fact the whole album just rocks...

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2005, 01:00:06 pm »
Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous  8)

Prove me wrong  ;)

I love many of the albums mentioned in this thread  but the reason why I believe  this can be PROVED to be the greatest live album ever is that both staunch Lizzy fans and casual admirers  listen to this album more than all their studio output put together and prefer these versions to the studio versions. I have about 6 Lizzy albums but apart from Live & Dangerous only ever play "Black Rose" which of course is their only decent material which hadn't yet been written when L & D was recorded.

Oh and on a personal basis  can I just mention "Rank", cos I was there in Kilburn (& Brixton) for those (some of the) last UK gigs the Smiths ever played and they were great nights, great artistes at their peak.

Oh and  on a very very personal basis I have come to listen to Neil Young's MTV unplugged more than all his other albums put together .. but that's just me ...

Oh and may I just mention "Stop Making Sense" whilst I can be arsed.

Oh and oh and oh and oh and oh and ...

« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 02:08:16 pm by nige »

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2005, 02:06:54 pm »
I think the problem with Live and Dangerous is it's been tweaked so much it has become in effect a near-studio greatest hits compilation hence its popularity among the masses as Lizzy's best album ....

... anyway Max Boyce - Live at Treorchy tops the lot.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Pheeny

« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2005, 02:11:51 pm »
... anyway Max Boyce - Live at Treorchy tops the lot.

Offline JohnLFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2005, 02:47:15 pm »
Slayer - Decade of Aggression
AC/DC - If you want blood
Ian McNabb - Live at Life
Shack - Live at the Picket
Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
UP THE REDS

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2005, 02:51:11 pm »
I'm not a great fan of live albums, but among the few I do own , these stand out.

Offline andrewt67

• Kopite
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2005, 03:58:20 pm »
The best live album ever ?   Here's a few suggestions :-

1. Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
2. AC/DC - If You Want Blood.........
3. The Who - Live at Leeds
4. Iron Maiden - Live After Death
5. Rush - any of their live stuff cos they are just amazing
6. Dream Theater - again, any of their live stuff
7. Kiss - Alive II
8. UFO - Strangers In The Night
9. Michael Schenker Group - One Night At Budokan
10. Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder
11. Genesis - Three Sides Live
12. Deep Purple - Made In Japan

Those are just a few thoughts straight off the top of my head

Andrew

Offline Kinch

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2005, 06:11:37 pm »
saw them once over in the UK. No real lighting - just house lights up full blast and all those great songs. Sheer energy and purpose. Magic band, magic MacKaye. Can't beat Minor Threat's 'Filler', but I'm obviously biased ;)

Figured that was where you got your username.
Those cats have put out some great music over the years. Minor Threat, Rites of Spring, (the real) Embrace and for old rockers like me...... the Evens for the kiddies

http://www.pancakemountain.com/tvev.html

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2005, 07:07:49 pm »
Oh, I forgot. There are all sorts of cases that can be made for this being the greatest live album ever. Not least the fact, that ELP always went one louder. It's a triple live :)

And stone bonkers barmy.

Offline 70piesanhour

• Flash Gordon approaches
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Robert Sidoli 2005 Grand Slam winner
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2005, 08:35:21 pm »
Is that like "only smarties have the answer"?

How's the new leg btw? ;)

Didn't you pass your exams? You must be a smartie ;)

Leg is great now, it's amazing what a bit of Ronseal can do ;D
Touch my belly

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2005, 09:22:53 pm »
Love Thin Lizzy, as most on here do.

No-one's mentioned Frampton Comes Alive, which was always one of my favourites as a youth...

And the ELP triple also stands out

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2005, 09:43:57 pm »
Can't find a 'yawns' smiley (!!!!!!!)

Offline kerswell

• Boys Pen
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2005, 06:07:34 pm »
Hi All,

Just happened by while surfing some links and thought I would add my perspective to the Live and Dangerous debate.   I love the album.  As to the overdubbing issue - no question it was cleaned up quite a bit (except for Brian Downey's stellar drumming), though I've heard different accounts of how much was done on the guitars.  I can tell you this - I've several Lizzy live albums from the same era (Chicago 1976, Philly '77 and Rainbow '78) and the sound is very comparable, albeit not quite as clear.  The guitar solos and sound aren't much different.  So, I think L & D is still a fair presentation of how the band sounded live in their prime (with Robbo), even if it isn't as "pure"as Strangers in The Night.  I saw Lizzy once at the State Fair in 78 (Sacramento) and they were great.

Speaking of Robbo - his greatness was  the emotion in his playing and his mastery of wah.

Thanks for reading this!

Offline Zinc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • All Good, Clean Fun...(whatever that means)...
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2005, 06:45:44 pm »
Yeah, another vote for Thin Lizzy here too... great live album. ;D

Also another vote for The Who 'Live at Leeds'.

The Led Zep 'How the West was won' was good too, so a vote for that as well.  Prefer to watch the DVD tho' :)

Plus a vote for a bootleg CD (one of many I have) of Crowded House called "Live in L.A.", which (from what I understand..) they set up and recorded in the car park outside the Capitol records building. Top songs, top humour, only they could go from one of their songs into Rock The Casbah and then into You Sexy Thing. (btw, RIP Paul Hester  :'() Probably the best live band I've ever seen IMHO...

...and to the fellow T.Rex fan (Alloy), T.Rex live recordings are notoriously sh*te (I've got the Rainbow recording you talk about, and funnily enuff I find myself liking the 1974 Bonus CD recording....Bolan at his c*ked up best  ;) ), but I am looking forward to Born To Boogie release in May on double DVD and double CD... It's gonna be f*ckin ace! Same people that did the Led Zep DVD, I understand...

Also got a Roxy Music live recording ("Viva! Roxy Music"), which is a disappointment, 'cos they were a cracking live band on their day/in their pomp.

Z

twitter: @ampersandad

Offline Woodbury

• Where's my toque eh?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2005, 02:06:27 am »
Bet that's class, what's on it?

Pretty much a mix of their older and newer stuff. Starseed, Is Anybody Home, Clumsy, One Man Army... They sound great live IMO. Seen them a few times when they've come to Halifax.  How do you know of them? Did't think they're too well known outside Canada.

I have all the tracks on my computer if you want them, btw...

Blame Canada!

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2005, 06:29:11 am »
Many of the live albums mentioned here are not live recordings at all, they are so heavy overdubbed that they don't really show how the bands sounded live.

Offline Zinc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • All Good, Clean Fun...(whatever that means)...
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2005, 12:18:16 pm »
Many of the live albums mentioned here are not live recordings at all, they are so heavy overdubbed that they don't really show how the bands sounded live.

Well OK Then, I'll just stick to the Crowded House recording I have, which is straight from the sound-desk.... ;)
twitter: @ampersandad

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2005, 01:08:18 pm »
Michael Schenker Group, "One Night at Budokan"
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.