Author Topic: Best LIVE album ever  (Read 16626 times)

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Best LIVE album ever
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2005, 12:38:51 am »
I love daft threads just like this one, serves no purpose but to confuse each other.  God knows what those without a sense of humor think of it?

Over to you Martin Marx.. ;D

A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2005, 12:55:55 am »
Honk Honk   

Oh shit that was Harpo Marx wasnt it
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2005, 01:23:18 am »
We've had this before, haven't we?

Here's a few live albums that are indisputably better than "Live And Dangerous" - good though that is

Led Zeppelin "How The West Was Won"
Motorhead "No Sleep Til Hammersmith"
Dr Feelgood "Stupidity"

And this one will be when it finally comes out

Lucinda Williams "Live At The Fillmore West"

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2005, 01:25:59 am »
So many to choose from   .   .   gimme "Live at the Fillmore" by The Allman Brothers. A sizzling double album with the late great Duane Allman in top form.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2005, 01:48:00 am »
Bob Dylan unplugged is awesome.

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2005, 02:05:16 am »
The Who, Live at Leeds
Johnny Cash, Live from San Quentin
George Strait, Live from the Astrodome
Led Zeppelin, How the West Was Won
Pink Floyd, Delicate Sound of Thunder
Nirvana, Unplugged

im sure ill think of some more

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2005, 07:28:12 am »
some goodies mentioned. Some dodgy ones too - do people really like Dire Straits? I expect that to be playing gently over the tanoy in the old peoples home when I get there, wiith a nurse coming in and patronisingly suggestING 'WE MUST LIKE DIRE STRAIGHTS MUSTN'T WE LADIES AND GENTS!?'
I'd slowly raise my arm but only manage to hold it out straight like a Nazi salute..

'Oh what now Robert?!'
'Nurse'  
'I can't hear you'...
'NURSE!'
'Oh hang on I'll come closer.... WHAT!?
'I     want         to   kill  you....'

Velvet Underground: Live 1969
Nina Simone: Live at The Town Hall 1959 (just heaven)
Butthole Surfers :Live (just hell)
Art Ensemble of Chicago: Urban Magic
Ravi Shankar and Ali Akbar Khan: Live in Concert 1972
Sun City Girls: Live at Planet Boomerang (and if the c*nt who nicked this LP is reading this I'm after your arse right?)
The Ramones: It's Alive
The Fall: The Twenty Seven Points + Live in London (1980) and a few more.
God Is My Co Pilot: Tight Like Fist

.. and many many more.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2005, 08:04:07 am »
Throwing Copper

;)

That's EXACTLY what I'd came in this thread to do. :D
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline mikeflev

• Main Stander
  • red too
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2005, 08:22:54 am »
Bob Dylan Live 1966 (bootleg series Vol.4), The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert
..."play fucking loud!"...
singing the cowbells home

Offline L7 Red

• Kopite
  • Kensington is Red
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2005, 11:34:11 am »
Delicate Sound of Thunder - Pink Floyd
Exit Stage Left - Rush
Real to Reel - Marillion.
"Oh that's boys own stuff but it's been that sort of night and it's been wonderful too see"

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2005, 11:47:15 am »
Love Live music , got loads favourite Live music on one format or another. Some faves at the moment are , - Big Country-  Final Fling Tour, Fleetwood Mac- Live in Boston, The Damned - Tiki Nightmare, and T.Rex- Live at the Rainbow '77 ( I was at that one, brilliant gig ) 
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline America Drinks

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2005, 02:17:31 pm »

The Mothers - Fillmore East
Beefheart - London 1974
Hendrix - Live at the Fillmore east
Led Zep - How The West Was Won
The Who - Live at Leeds
Floyd - Live at Pompeii
J.J. Cale - Live
Fleetwood Mac - Live in Boston
Bob Marley - Live at the Lyceum
The Doors - Absolutely Live

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2005, 04:11:43 pm »
Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous  8)

Prove me wrong  ;)

I'll second, third and fourth that one, its fucking great. I'm a huge fan of thin lizzy man.

Offline Kinch

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2005, 04:11:45 pm »
MC5 - Kick out the Jams

Jane's Addiction - XXX Records
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 04:17:21 pm by Kinch »
"Since the beginning of the world you have fought against our gentle power with your coarse weakness; and when you triumph over us for an hour, you croak and clamour merrily like the frogs of the water. And when we conquer you and subdue you for an age, we remain as silent giants."

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2005, 04:22:12 pm »
We've had this before, haven't we?

Here's a few live albums that are indisputably better than "Live And Dangerous" - good though that is

Led Zeppelin "How The West Was Won"
Motorhead "No Sleep Til Hammersmith"
Dr Feelgood "Stupidity"

And this one will be when it finally comes out

Lucinda Williams "Live At The Fillmore West"

"indisputably"  Bullshit How the west was won was terribly produced, sounded like Thin Lizzys lesser live album "Live" plus just didn't have the live electricity of L and D.  As for motorheads no real diversity but as for a great out and out metal yes good. As for the others don't know them.

Offline Ianjaig

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "We had Heighway on the wing..." BEEP BEEP!!
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2005, 04:46:49 pm »
MC5 - Kick out the Jams
Jane's Addiction - XXX Records

Would get both my votes.

Pigs in Zen, Trip Away & Sympathy being the three highlights of the Janes Addiction album.

Would also include Joy Divisions B side of their Still album. Haunting stuff.

So much to choose from though - Velvet Undergrounds live stuff late 60's - the list goes on and on...
Bill Shankly to a Liverpool fan:
"Where are you from?"
"I'm a Liverpool fan from London."
"Well laddie . . . . What's it like to be in heaven?"

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2005, 05:32:45 pm »
"indisputably"  Bullshit How the west was won was terribly produced, sounded like Thin Lizzys lesser live album "Live" plus just didn't have the live electricity of L and D. 

Based on your assement of "How The West Was Won", it's clear that you know nothing and your opinion is worthless.

HTWWW is a wonderfully rich document of Thee Best Rock Band Of All Time. And to criticise the production simply suggests you've read A Dummy's Guide To Music Journalism Bluffing. As evry fule know, Jimmy Page is an absolute perfectionist - see his remastering of the complete works, for example - who refuses to allow bad Zeppelin work onto the market. He did a marvellous job of producing the equally essential BBC Sessions, and he has produced another masterpiece in HTWWW.

"Live And Dangerous" would've made a great single album, but Vertigo Records had to drag it out into a double. Songs like "Sha La La", "Massacre", Suicide", "Still In Love With You", "Dancing In The Moonlight" and "Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed" could all have been comfortably omitted, with result being an album every bit as perfect in its own way as was "No Sleep Til Hammersmith" or "It's Alive".

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2005, 05:40:11 pm »

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2005, 06:03:04 pm »
Based on your assement of "How The West Was Won", it's clear that you know nothing and your opinion is worthless.

HTWWW is a wonderfully rich document of Thee Best Rock Band Of All Time. And to criticise the production simply suggests you've read A Dummy's Guide To Music Journalism Bluffing. As evry fule know, Jimmy Page is an absolute perfectionist - see his remastering of the complete works, for example - who refuses to allow bad Zeppelin work onto the market. He did a marvellous job of producing the equally essential BBC Sessions, and he has produced another masterpiece in HTWWW.

"Live And Dangerous" would've made a great single album, but Vertigo Records had to drag it out into a double. Songs like "Sha La La", "Massacre", Suicide", "Still In Love With You", "Dancing In The Moonlight" and "Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed" could all have been comfortably omitted, with result being an album every bit as perfect in its own way as was "No Sleep Til Hammersmith" or "It's Alive".

Well Hey.... thats my opinion on the quality of production, as for omitting songs like Dancing in the moonlight and Still in love with you? what would be the purpose of this? to make it more metal? make it sound more like other heavy rock bands?

Why the fuck would you want to do that? That version of still in love with you is seen as the cardinal version of the song...so i fear it is you who knows nothing... Some of music's greatest critics have hailed live and dangerous as the greatest Live album of all time...I believe Philip Lynott was also a perfectionist to the end (thats if you know who he was)

Signed and sealed with a big kiss my ass  :-* :moon
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 06:09:17 pm by ♠DirtyHarry♠ »

Offline Kinch

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2005, 06:13:08 pm »
I'd like to personally thank everyone for not posting Kiss:Alive
"Since the beginning of the world you have fought against our gentle power with your coarse weakness; and when you triumph over us for an hour, you croak and clamour merrily like the frogs of the water. And when we conquer you and subdue you for an age, we remain as silent giants."

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• Anny Roader
  • 's Cum Face
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2005, 06:15:26 pm »
Getting Away With It by James is one of my favourites, don't have many live CDs though.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2005, 06:21:50 pm »
I'd like to personally thank everyone for not posting Kiss:Alive

I'd like to thank you for reminding everyone :P

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2005, 06:39:20 pm »
Some of music's greatest critics have hailed live and dangerous as the greatest Live album of all time

Name three.

And I'll bet you at least one of them will have said the same thing about Kiss Alive.

In fact, name three great rock critics. Since I'm related to one, and kinda one myself, in as much as I write for a reasonably well-known web publication, I think I'm entitled to say that Frank Zappa was right.

I believe Philip Lynott was also a perfectionist to the end (thats if you know who he was)

He was a drunk and a junkie to the end. A nice chap by all accounts. But a perfectionist? No way. And since I used to be on first name terms with one of the guitarists who plays on "Live And Dangerous", I think I can also say quite categorically that "Live And Dangerous" is not even a real live album. There are overdubs aplenty.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2005, 07:12:42 pm »
Name three.

And I'll bet you at least one of them will have said the same thing about Kiss Alive.

In fact, name three great rock critics. Since I'm related to one, and kinda one myself, in as much as I write for a reasonably well-known web publication, I think I'm entitled to say that Frank Zappa was right.

He was a drunk and a junkie to the end. A nice chap by all accounts. But a perfectionist? No way. And since I used to be on first name terms with one of the guitarists who plays on "Live And Dangerous", I think I can also say quite categorically that "Live And Dangerous" is not even a real live album. There are overdubs aplenty.

Yes there are overdubs i know about that, it fucking says so on the albums accompanying details, even their manager said so, but sure every fucking live album has had overdubs done on it, and any musician/band who says anything different is/are a fucking lier(s).

Junkie, drunk, bum whatever, you saying jimmy page never done that shit???? ah come on   What the fuck has drugs got to do with making perfectionist music? And don't patronise me with your fucking "A nice chap by all accounts" bullshit.

Just out of interest which guitarist (and no im not trying to catch you out, any retard can check that shit out on the internet, but i am intrigued as to who it was). Its rare to talk to a girl who knows so much in-depth details about music especially a young one(taking into account that your profile details are truthful).

Offline Kirsty

• Has a list of older men she'd like to 'wotsit'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @kirstycurran
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2005, 07:38:29 pm »
Never been to a Derby, only Kirsty has the answer.

Is that like "only smarties have the answer"?

How's the new leg btw? ;)

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2005, 07:41:10 pm »
Yes there are overdubs i know about that, it fucking says so on the albums accompanying details, even their manager said so, but sure every fucking live album has had overdubs done on it, and any musician/band who says anything different is/are a fucking lier(s).

Not true. And, as I recall it, the amount of overdubbing on "Live And Dangerous" only really became clear a long time after the event. It was considered to be something of a minor scandal actually. From memory: they spent about three months on overdubs. All the vocals were overdubbed. And all the bass. The drums were left alone because they didn't have the technology to overdub drums at that time. And the original guitars were mostly left in place, but were still overdubbed to hell and back.

Junkie, drunk, bum whatever, you saying jimmy page never done that shit????

No. I'm actually saying that it didn't kill him. You said Lynott was a perfectionist to the end. He wasn't. He might've been a perfectionist when they released "Live And Dangerous" but he was a tragically out of control loser by all accounts when he died.

And don't patronise me with your fucking "A nice chap by all accounts" bullshit.

I was actually paraphrasing what I've been told by people who knew him. Phil Lynott - a lovely chap, a tragic waste. I don't think that's patronising. It's accurate reporting.

Just out of interest which guitarist (and no im not trying to catch you out, any retard can check that shit out on the internet, but i am intrigued as to who it was). Its rare to talk to a girl who knows so much in-depth details about music especially a young one(taking into account that your profile details are truthful).

Pixie boots. Also known as Robbo. He used to be big pals with a big pal of my Dad's who was and is very big pals with Lemmy.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2005, 07:52:06 pm »
Pixie boots. Also known as Robbo. He used to be big pals with a big pal of my Dad's who was and is very big pals with Lemmy.

Eh? Thats some pals ha ha.  Ok then the albums shite

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2005, 07:55:30 pm »
Since I'm related to one...
name?
I write for a reasonably well-known web publication
URL?

merely out of friendly interest.  ;)

Offline Kinch

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2005, 08:01:22 pm »

So is Lemmy as much of a badass as he seems? I was just reading an article in a local paper about how The Reverend Horton Heat tried to keep up with him on a bottle of Makers Mark and woke up hospitalized with a tube down his throat.

Offline tedstriker

• Main Stander
  • I hate short corners
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2005, 08:07:15 pm »
Anyone heard Van Morrison 'It's too late to stop now'?  Or James Brown Live at the Apollo?

The best live albums I have. 
'We talk at half time...we need to change things and maybe score and it would be different; and we scored and it was different.'

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2005, 08:07:27 pm »
name?URL?

merely out of friendly interest.  ;)

*lips sealed*

And I don't write under any of the names you might think.

Offline muleskinner

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2005, 08:08:52 pm »
For me you can't go wrong with any of this lot:

Kick Out The Jams - MC5
It's Alive - The Ramones
If You Want Blood (You've Got It) - AC/DC
Kraftwerk Live At Tribal Gathering 1997 bootleg
Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads
"Brothers and sisters, I want to see a sea of hands out there. I want to see a sea of hands. I want to see a little revolution out there. "

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2005, 08:10:22 pm »
*lips sealed*

you can IM them if you like. Christ, you're not Julie Burchill are you?

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2005, 08:13:03 pm »
*lips sealed*

Don't tell me you write for any rage like fucking nme or that kinda shite?.....Smash hits? :P

Offline Kinch

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2005, 08:19:45 pm »
I'm taking bets.

Pitchfork: 24-1

Buddyhead: 17-1

Maximum Rock N Roll:  13-1

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2005, 08:23:38 pm »
So is Lemmy as much of a badass as he seems? I was just reading an article in a local paper about how The Reverend Horton Heat tried to keep up with him on a bottle of Makers Mark and woke up hospitalized with a tube down his throat.

You may have got the wrong end of my stick. I might have needed the grammar police there. My Dad is not a Big Pal of Lemmy. He's a big pal of someone - let's call him Mr M - who is a Big Pal of Lemmy's and a pretty good friend of Brian Robertson. My Dad knew Lemmy well in the '80s when he wrote a front page story on Motorhead for a music paper,  spent a week on tour with the band later the same year and would often bump into him around the London club scene. But I doubt he's seen him more than a dozen times in the last ten years.

My own impression of Lemmy is that what you see is what you get. He's just a bloke who likes his booze, slot machines and laydees. He's a bit hard to get to know because he has "trust issues", but he's not as scary as his image might suggest. He seems to know exactly who he is, and to be happy with that. He doesn't try to impress you or act like a star. He's got a way with words. And he can be very passionate on some subjects. But he is shorter than you'd expect.

Based on my limited experience, anyone who tried to keep up with Lemmy's drinking is going to end up regretting it. I don't think I've ever seen him eat. But he drinks vodka - and presumably other stuff - like it was water.

Pheeny

« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2005, 08:24:29 pm »
When I was 10 and knew a secret I used to tease my mates and or siblings by saying I know something you don't... ::) Please stop name dropping unless you are willing to back it up :wave

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2005, 08:27:24 pm »
Lemmy? The vicar's son from Colwyn Bay. Rev Willis or something?

Mate of mine has a tape recording of Motorhead when they played Colwyn Bay pier. He was stood on the beach about 20 miles away - recording is crystal clear :)

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2005, 08:33:15 pm »
When I was 10 and knew a secret I used to tease my mates and or siblings by saying I know something you don't... ::) Please stop name dropping unless you are willing to back it up :wave

Well said, very very immature tut tut tut :P

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2005, 08:35:25 pm »

There's a couple of people on here who know my name and my Dad's. Not that either is particularly impressive. If they think I'm bullshitting, they're free to say so. Other than that, I like - for various reasons - to try to retain a little anonymity. And not just because I've been threated by a few interweb jokers.

And I am not going to out my "music journo" self because it's irrelevant to who I am here and I wouldn't want to cause trouble for myself there by issuing an open invitation to every Tom, Dick and Rashid to do something I'd regret. But I will say it's no biggie. Just that I do write - occasionally and unpaid - for a reasonably well known web site. Is that hard to believe? Then don't believe me. I won't mention it again. I only mentioned it this time because it seemed nicely self-depreciating to say that all music journos are losers who can't play, and I should know because I am one.