Author Topic: El Hadji Diouf  (Read 216059 times)

Offline Macca

• Main Stander
  • Done the treble
Re:Thoughts on the Diouf Dive?
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2002, 06:50:44 pm »
maybe he was...........er..........expecting the keeper to make contact?

But surely, if it was a pen, wasn't it a red-card too?

As for Mikey - that wasn't really a dive. I a court of law he'd have got the 'not guilty' vote.

Look at it - The ref was brilliantly placed. The Argy was stupid/inexperienced & stuck out his leg (effectively taking a plate, putting a penalty on it & offering it to Mikey). Mikey saw this & played to it. If there was contact, it was a foul. If you look at the ground-level reverse angle, Collina was pointing at the spot almost before Mikey hit the deck, he didn't even have to think about that one & I'll bet with hindsight he'd give it again.
You're my wife now

Offline Big_Bertha

• Kemlynite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2002, 07:01:29 pm »
who cares if he dives for senegal or for liverpool or any liverpool player for that matter.

its part of the game if the opposition are gonna do it then why shouldnt our players.

remember its the winning the counts not the takin part.

treble2001

« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2002, 07:02:16 pm »
If Diouf dived to win a game would you accept it?

Offline Steve C

• Gone... but not forgotten - I hope some day you will join us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2002, 07:11:34 pm »
Yes, of course.

Maybe there are some things that we should rise above, but in a way BB is right. Owen not going down when pulled in Dortmund cost us a win, and Gala's antics in both legs could have cost us a European Cup Quarter Final place.

Id rather not see it, but wouldnt take the moral high-ground if we got 3 points through conning an official. I mean, nobody did in the FA and Worthy Finals last season when the opposition were denied pennos because of poor refereeing.

Then again, if it happened against us, and cost us the European Cup, I would be seething.

So I guess Im a hypocrite.

Offline *Gareth*

• The other Gareth
  • Anny Roader
  • Justice
    • Hillsborough Justice Campaign
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2002, 07:12:44 pm »
Let me ask you a question, Would you like Liverpool being known as a club that cheats?

Let's hope this bad streak gets knocked out of him pronto.
Bill Shankly on Tommy Smith

"If he isn't named Footballer of the Year, football should be stopped and the men who picked any other player should be sent to the Kremlin"

treble2001

« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2002, 07:16:12 pm »
Stephane Henchoz must get his streak out then.  He cheated, but was anyone complaining?  At the end of the day, people can think what they want.  I doubt our team would go out kicking and cheating (ala Leeds) but with a dive or a handball a game could be won.  I don't condone cheating, and hate it, but if we won a cup or championship with a dive, I doubt threads would say that it was terrible.

Offline Steve C

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2002, 07:17:01 pm »
I wouldnt, but winning the league is, well, very important.

Mediocre side renowned for its fair play or Successful side with a couple of players known for diving.

I know which I would take.

Of course, the 2 are not mutually exclusive, and I think we can dominate England, and Europe, without resorting to such antics.  :D

Offline *Gareth*

• The other Gareth
  • Anny Roader
  • Justice
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2002, 07:22:11 pm »

I wouldnt, but winning the league is, well, very important.

Mediocre side renowned for its fair play or Successful side with a couple of players known for diving.

I know which I would take.

Of course, the 2 are not mutually exclusive, and I think we can dominate England, and Europe, without resorting to such antics.  :D

Precisely, We have great players we don't need to resort to blatent cheating. If a player like Diouf was to get a reputation for diving which is now highly likely, Whose to say when we do have a shout for a penalty its not given because Diouf is the player fouled?

It works both ways, and with referees clamping down on players that cheat he could end up getting himself fined and suspended for games.

He looks like a good player, And good players shouldn't need to resort to playground tactics to get results.

"If he isn't named Footballer of the Year, football should be stopped and the men who picked any other player should be sent to the Kremlin"

treble2001

« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2002, 07:24:38 pm »
As was said before, EH had the same prob, which was recitfied

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2002, 09:26:53 pm »
If he blatantly dives for Liverpool, no doubt the fans will let him know about it, like Rozenthal did.

If Diouf dived to win a game would you accept it?
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2002, 03:29:00 am »
I found myself saying to my sister "Jesus fucking Christ, the keeper did'nt even touch him" but he was playing for Senegal and I think I's coming across as just a bloke watching the footy with no real bias even though he's coming/going to Liverpool.

If he'd done that for Liverpool and the resulting penalty was converted, hmmm, would'nt really complain if it was the winner.

On the dive itself, don't know why he did it but, seemed he had the jump on the 'keeper after steering the ball past him and from what I could see no defense in immediate cover to clear, he could've just jumped and reached the ball in time I'm sure, and the fact he decided to cue sprawling action in mid air did'nt do him any favours, as well as the keeper obviously pulling out.

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2002, 03:57:22 am »
I think Diouf didn't dive -- he get the ball pass the goalkeeper and the goalkeeper is clearly not thinking of catching the ball.  Definite penalty.

If you are not sure try run at his speed and then jumps over a cow and see if you would fall down, with or without touching the cow's arse..... ;D

However I would say Diouf is very cunning when it comes to getting fouled -- I need to see more of him to be convinced but that is my 1st impression.
We won it 6 times

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2002, 10:41:56 am »
ITV were way over the top in their condemnation of El Hadji Diouf - like England's against Argentina, this was a penalty even if no contact was made; Owen was labelled 'clever', Diouf a 'disgrace'.

And yet in both instances evasive action had to be taken (or was chosen to be taken) by the striker after what were at best 'clumsy' challenges. How often do we see keepers steam from their goalline and miss the ball? Anywhere else on the park it's dangerous play and an instant free kick for recklessness or from an intent to foul. Diouf was, at the very least, put off by a keeper who stood no chance of winning the ball.

The fact that Pochettino pulled his leg away before making contact or that the Uraguayan keeper pulled his hands away means nothing. That's like going to punch someone riding past on a bike, and then stopping at the last minute - before claiming innocence as the cyclist loses balance and crashes into a double decker bus.

A dive, for me, only takes place for certain if no challenge is made. To me, a dive is what occured when Van Nistelrooy hit the deck against Ipswich - when not only did no challenge take place, no defender was in the vacinity. Hitting the deck after a poor challenge - or taking evasive action - is different. No contact has to occur - if the intent was there, and in both cases the ball was past the fouling playing before they lunged in. The Uruguayan, Morales, dived to win their pen as he dived BEFORE a challenge had even come in.

Personally, I have little sympathy for Argenina and Uruguay - what goes around comes around. They practically invented each and every form cheating - many Argentinians are on record as saying that they enjoyed Maradona's first goal in '86 more than his miraculous second, as the first one upset us more. Well, time to be upset yourselves, fellas.

My worry is with Heskey no longer diving (but still seen as a diver) we won't win another penalty. Van Nistelrooy scored eight pens last season, and Beckham three or four. I even think Veron took one. Van Nistelrooy dived on numerous occasions, and yet he gets away with it.

And yet we scored two penalties, and only won one after Xmas. Now with Diouf - who will win TEN legit penalties the way he plays - he'll probably end up being sent off wrongly every single game.

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2002, 11:16:43 am »
I agree with the fact that Argentina and especially Uraguay don't deserve any sympathy but taking a technical aspect I'd have to disagree with you there Paul.

A 'keepers job is many things. Commanding his area, shotstopping, marshalling defences especially at attacking set pieces and also doing everything in a legal manner to put off an attacker bearing down on his goal. Cutting down the angle, a bit of sledging and in this case I believe a fair charge to minamize the openess of his goal and he pulled out with out making any contact whatsoever.

Diouf lacked the ball control in this instance and I reckon he believed he played the ball to far past the keeper and thought he'd have no chance of getting it, hence the dive. If every player dives cause the he's been 'put off' by the 'keeper it's not going to be a good precedant, though it seems Man Utd have it down pat.

Diouf did what he did to get the goal, obviously, but it was a dive. One of the best I've seen in a while. Just my opinion but.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2002, 11:42:26 am »
Sorry. Goalies have the same laws as anyone else. Simeone dived into Seaman in 1998, but Seaman admitted that he gave the ref no choice after he slid and didn't get to the ball.

Any player on the pitch who is not in control of their actions can be penalised. That the rules may be interpreted differently is one thing, but by the rules of the game they can be penalised. The keeper charged AT DIOUF AND NOT THE BALL - the ball was long gone before he pulled his arms away. He left them there until Diouf was put off. He blocked Diouf's path to the ball, which i guess is technically obstruction - but Diouf rightly hit the deck; had he stayed on his feet and the defender cleared off the line, then the fraction of a second lost after the keeper slowed him down illegally would have paid off. Thankfully it didn't.

Look at Ortega today -  a clear dive, but the defender slid in, missed the ball (and Ortega), and in doing so gave the ref no choice. Had the defender simply jockeyed him to the byline and then Ortega fell over, then he's cheating, but Ortega did his job by enticing a crap challenge. And to me, any crap challenge in the area is a pen. End of story!

Also, why are divers cheats, but shirt-pullers, intentional foulers, etc, not?

Offline *Gareth*

• The other Gareth
  • Anny Roader
  • Justice
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2002, 05:06:47 pm »
ITV were way over the top in their condemnation of El Hadji Diouf - like England's against Argentina, this was a penalty even if no contact was made; Owen was labelled 'clever', Diouf a 'disgrace'.  

Er, Owen was touched though, And it was a cleaer penalty. The reply showed clear contact where as Diouf wasn't even close to being touched. He took a dive its that simple. There was no clumsy challenge as he wasn't touched at all.  He dived and got away with it, Shame he isn't punsihed by Fifa for simulating.

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2002, 06:55:15 pm »
OWEN DIVEDDDDDDD  :-*

Offline *Gareth*

• The other Gareth
  • Anny Roader
  • Justice
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2002, 07:48:23 pm »

OWEN DIVEDDDDDDD  :-*

Tv evidence and the worlds greatest referee would think otherwise  ;) But he did make sure of the penalty, Where as Diouf wasn't touched and therefore took a dive.

Offline Gojedo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2002, 12:32:47 am »
Putting the diouf dive aside and in answer to your question about shirt pulling and intentional fouls Paul I'm in the opinion that it's all relative and would probably put it in the same catergory as diving,simulating,obviously.

Of course they are the probably different levels of it, such as positions on the field when a shirt was pulled, an intentional foul was committed and the blatant obviousness of it all for example which would attract different reactions from officials but yeah, I think you can throw it all in the same book.

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2002, 09:33:09 pm »
Didn't touch him Ref!!!!!

As Biscan could say for that tackle against the bitters when he was sent off 14 months ago. Or didi against Sunderland Last year.

You don't have to touch the player for it to be a foul. And if the Keeper does it and it in the box - Penalty.

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2002, 09:57:06 pm »

{And whilst writing this the oracle of football knowledge that is Gazza has said that the new Liverpool player "Diop" has scored some great goals in the tournament} My god he knows fuck all :wanker

i swear he has been p*ssed while on itv. he drivels incoherently and el tel has to keep bailing him out.

as for the diving issue: there is a v fine line between "clever play" and blatant diving. I would rather we won the league through brilliant footie and great goals, but the pen against argentina was SSSsssssooooooooo sweet!  ;D

Offline *Gareth*

• The other Gareth
  • Anny Roader
  • Justice
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2002, 12:22:26 am »

{And whilst writing this the oracle of football knowledge that is Gazza has said that the new Liverpool player "Diop" has scored some great goals in the tournament} My god he knows fuck all :wanker

i swear he has been p*ssed while on itv. he drivels incoherently and el tel has to keep bailing him out.

as for the diving issue: there is a v fine line between "clever play" and blatant diving. I would rather we won the league through brilliant footie and great goals, but the pen against argentina was SSSsssssooooooooo sweet!  ;D

I totaly agree, Especialy on ITV's first broadcast. I was wating for him to say something very stupid. Instead he came out with "I hadn't heard of senegal before today"

Offline Steve C

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2002, 04:12:21 pm »
"I hadn't heard of senegal before today"

You must have had subtitles on, all I got was "wos mmmm te mumble Senegal mm tudaa."

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2002, 04:46:20 pm »
Agreed - not about the diving, but about Gazza.

The guy seems ill. He has the ex-alcoholic shakes of someone like Ozzy Ozborne. It's actually quite sad, and even worse, he's not even his funny bubbly idiot self - he can't even be arsed cracking his supposed jokes properly. Great player once, but a pundit?

The phone call with his best pal Dave Seaman was a new low point in ITV football coverage. I found myself pulling out my toenails with a pair of plyers before it had ended...

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2002, 10:32:04 am »
I feel quite sorry for Gazza, the guys obviously nervous (Bobby Robson even caught him having a smoke pre broadcast coz he was so nervous) and the press being on his back musnt help him  :-\

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Should we get Diouf for 19m?
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2002, 05:13:02 am »
I'll be willing to go between 11-15m and 19m seems a bit too much....

Offline Gojedo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
Re:Should we get Diouf for 19m?
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2002, 06:25:21 am »
Yeah, I do. How much he was worth before the WC I'm not quite sure but he's put in some stand out performances, especially the recent one against Sweden, his stock were sure to rise.

19m is alot of money but from what I've seen so far, he's performed a lot better than a lot of other higher valued players gone from or still at the WC. He's an exciting player with a load of talent to burn and that sort of game dos'nt come cheap.

I thought the deal was basically done and dusted anyway, regardless of the asking price.

Offline Steve_M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2002, 06:48:02 am »
As I just happened to have been behind the goal for the Owen penalty incident ( honest, I was), it looked a certain penalty and the body language form the Argentinians suggested that knew it was.

I can`t remember exactly but I seemed to recall the type of thudding noise that  boots colliding makes, when the Argentinian made the challenge, which made it sound to those of us in the crowd that there had been definite contact.

Haven`t seen the Diouf incident so can`t comment.

However was in Oita yesterday and saw him play against Sweden and watched him a lot, especially off the ball.

Work rate was first class, never stopped looking for the ball. Two-footed, although favours the right. Started up on the left and cut inside onto his right a lot in the first half, but in the second played up on the right. Tortured the full backs because they quickly realised he could go past on either side and has good pace.

Looks a little light, but seemed to handle himself well. Given the chance to play and show what he can do, I`d say some full backs are going to be dreading the sight of him this season.  ;D

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2002, 09:09:05 am »
Kiwi the club he is presently at (Lens I think) will have realised they made a mistake basically agreeing to around £10million and will now be trying to wrangle more money out of LFC.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Gojedo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2002, 11:30:46 am »
So does this mean the Diouf deal is not 100% complete? What if Ged refuses to give in to demands(rightfully so) of a higher asking price than was originally asked? Surely Lens can't ask for a higher transfer fee if the deal is fully complete.

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2002, 11:48:08 am »
As far as I can tell according to all parties, bar one (Lens) the deal is done and dusted.  I suspect if this is the case then Lens are gonna try and do a boro and claim more after already agreeing what his market value is.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Pheeny

« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2002, 02:47:00 pm »
Whats the Stadiums like Steve and should/could we learn anything from them?

Offline Steve_M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2002, 11:50:25 am »
Stadiums are first class, (even those ones with running tracks around them).

Each one has been very individual in it`s design. So far I`ve been in 6 (I think, as I`m losing track a bit). Seating has been excellent, good sight lines no matter where you sit (was right over the half way line near the pitch at the Germany v Ireland game and could hear every word Mick McCarthy uttered......most seemed to begin with f***   ;D). The stadium in Kashima has been my favourite so far as it`s close to the pitch and compact.

Security is big at the games. No bottles allowed in. Every drink, even soft drinks has to be poured into cartons. Metal detectors and body searches for every single person as well. Even tickets are checked twice. They have inner and outer gates.

I`d suggest any club looking to build a new ground could do worse than have a look at these ones as they all have something to offer. Take the best ideas from them and incorporate them.

BTW, was talking to a Bayern fan who told me they are building a new stadium (sharing with TSV Munich) and will be used at the 2006 WC. His season ticket costs him about 80 quid a year!!!  :o

Offline Steve C

• Legacy Fan
El Hadji Diouf - Observer article
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2002, 09:27:26 am »
Smiling serial killer

Senegal's personable striker El Hadji Diouf aims to live up to his nickname in the Premiership next season. But Liverpool should not expect too many goals for their £12m outlay.

James Copnall
Sunday June 23, 2002
The Observer

Before he'd even kicked a ball in international football, El Hadji Diouf received his first standing ovation. It came in Senegal's Leopold Sedar Senghor stadium when his public rose to acclaim him with a 'Senegalese Wave' in the warm-up of his debut - a World Cup qualifier against Benin in April 2000. Once the game had actually kicked off, the striker's touch was so perfect, his ball-juggling so flamboyant, the normally lethargic Dakar crowd summoned up a roar of approval that rolled around the stadium. When Diouf followed it up with eight goals in five games to propel his country to its first World Cup finals, it seemed a shooting star to rival the likes of David Trezeguet and Christian Vieri had been found. Liverpool's Gérard Houllier certainly thought that and has signed a deal to bring the 21-year-old African player of the year from French club Lens to Anfield.

Liverpool fans expecting a flood of goals from their new recruit, however, should take note: in six African Nations Cup games, the 'Serial Killer' as he is known scored just once and failed to find the net in South Korea and Japan, where Senegal's run finally ended in golden-goal defeat against Turkey yesterday. Your average attacker purchased for a sum rumoured to be approaching £12 million would normally be expected to pitch in with a goal on a regular basis but Diouf is anything but average.

'Liverpool fans are expecting 20 goals a season from him?' asks Lions team-mate Sylvain Ndiaye. 'They won't get them - he's not a goalscorer. He certainly didn't score that many in France this season.'

His league total was 10, meaning that in almost four seasons of league football he has hit the back of the net less than 20 times. So why have Liverpool shelled out so much money?

Anyone who watched Diouf toy with the Swedish defence last week will be left in no doubt that in terms of pure talent Houllier has made a wise investment and Aston Villa's Olof Mellberg, for one, will not forget him in a hurry. 'That big lad at right-back, Diouf just kept on nutmegging him,' Senegal's assistant coach Abdoulaye Sarr said. 'He just couldn't cope with El Hadji.'

In one smart move a couple of minutes after Henri Camara scored the equaliser, Diouf gave a shorthand version of what his game is all about. Approaching the left-hand side of the penalty area, he appeared trapped by the solid frames of Mellberg and Johan Mjallby. A little touch with his right foot pushed the ball towards Mellberg and just as it looked as if he would take possession, a fast left-right double connection edged the ball towards Mjallby and then through the minuscule gap between the two defenders for a shooting chance.

The fact that he twisted the Swedes inside out from an unusual position out on the left wing shows a versatility that will be essential to his success in England. 'Houllier told me I would play on the left, on the right or through the middle, but probably behind Heskey and Owen,' Diouf says.

Despite his versatility and talent - he was a goalkeeper for his neighbourhood team in Senegal - not everyone believes he is suited to the Premiership, as along with his exceptional technique he has a penchant for diving and tends to go for the spectacular over the efficient - on more than one occasion against Sweden, he opted to dribble past Mellberg when a simple pass would have been better.

'He should have gone to another league, England is not for him,' said one of his team-mates while the man himself is unrepentant: 'I play to enjoy myself and to give pleasure to the fans.'

He is certainly popular with the latter and cannot walk the streets in Dakar without being mobbed - it is like being with one of the Beatles says an Anglophile Senegal insider. He is also warmly regarded at his former clubs Sochaux and Rennes, despite a low scoring record and diverse disciplinary problems.

One reason is his on-field showmanship, another his readiness to sign autographs and spend time chatting with supporters. 'He likes to be surrounded, solicited,' Senegal coach Bruno Metsu says. 'I know very few people with so much kindness and patience as he has.' Whether he will be the same under the constant glare of the Premiership, however, remains to be seen.

His popularity also comes from his willingness to talk to the media, who in turn reinforce his star status. Even when the Senegalese press (most of the other Lions have long since boycotted them) turned up at his hotel after writing about alleged marital problems between him and his wife Valerie, he spoke to them claiming, 'it is my job to talk to you.'

Lasting popularity, though, is dependant on on-field success, which stems from off-field stability and more than one coach has found Diouf a handful. The former Senegal manager Peter Schnittger found his 30 years' experience of coaching in Africa was not enough to get to grips with Diouf's unorthodox approach to life. On one occasion the striker took the six-hour flight from France to Senegal for national-team duty, only then to not join the team on the short hop to Togo for the actual match. 'They never called me,' was all the peroxide-blond said afterwards.

Even the Lens coach Joel Muller, a man who has handled the prodigy better than most, lost his services for more than a week after the African Nations Cup earlier this year, when Diouf preferred to lap up Senegalese adulation in Dakar rather than knuckle down for a mundane French league game. More serious was an incident during his time at Rennes that ended with him receiving a criminal record after he crashed a team-mate's car when driving without a licence.

'It's true, I used to be a bit of a bad boy,' he says. 'But that has never stopped me succeeding wherever I have been. In any case, I change my character for nobody.'

Not the most reas suring of words for Liverpool fans but for those who question whether he has the mental strength to prosper Ndiaye believes he is young enough to adapt. 'He will mature in England,' he says. 'He will have to learn, have to adapt.'

There is no doubt Diouf has grown up over the last few years, on and off the field. 'We were always getting into trouble,' says Balla Diop, a childhood friend who flew to the African Nations Cup to keep Diouf company. 'And since El Hadji fought every time he lost a football game he was always fighting!'

These days Diouf keeps his on-pitch fighting metaphorical while his off-field antics have been toned down, if not eliminated.

'I don't go out that much and people accept me for who I am, so why shouldn't they accept him for what he is?' says Faye. 'What he does off the pitch doesn't stop him playing brilliantly on it.' Diouf agrees. 'If I go out, party and still score goals on the pitch, no one will be able to write bad things about me,' he says. The tabloids lie in wait.

That said, it will be interesting to see what the Liverpool management make of his reputation as a party animal and one of the keys to his English adventure will be how Houllier and Phil Thompson handle him. They should have a decent idea of what is required, since Liverpool's former assistant coach Patrice Bergues is director of football at Lens, and aside from playing a role in the transfer he will certainly have shared a few tips on how to deal with the striker.

The Lions captain Aliou Cissé is another offering advice. 'You mustn't be constantly on his back, telling him to do this or do that. If that happens we won't see the Diouf Liverpool saw and Liverpool bought. You have to leave him alone.'

It is by giving him the freedom to be himself that Metsu has been able to get the best out of his key player. It is when he is, as Cissé says, 'free in his head,' that Diouf plays as he can and the force of his character becomes an asset.

'What people don't understand about El Hadji is that he is a winner,' Metsu says. 'Even in training he hates losing and he is someone who loves football, loves being on the pitch, and if you leave him to get on with that, he is brilliant.'

'In those circumstances, confirms Cissé, 'his character is his strength, and he should never try and change it.'

That will to win is coupled with an intense desire to succeed in England. He describes his chance to play here as 'a childhood dream'. Despite an initial preference for Arsenal, where his friends Thierry Henry and role model Sylvain Wiltord hold court, Diouf is genuinely delighted to be going to Anfield.

In all the time I have known him I have never seen him so euphoric as in the days following his discussions with the representatives of Liverpool who flew to the World Cup to talk with him.

With all that in mind, can we believe Diouf will be a huge smash at Anfield? The 'Beatle' is returning to Liverpool, after all, and he is not the type to buckle under the strain of new surroundings.

'The pressure won't scare him,' says Faye. 'I'm not just saying this because I am Senegalese, but we can play anywhere. There is nothing harder than leaving your country at a young age, as we all have, and then succeeding in France.

'Anyway, Diouf is a phenomenon. I don't know if he will score much, but he will give a lot of pleasure to the English fans. He loves life, and he loves football.'

Offline Gojedo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
Re:El Hadji Diouf - Observer article
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2002, 10:17:56 am »
Quite an interesting article. His observations on Diouf's performance against Sweden was spot on. He supplied  a lot of the Senegalese Imputeus in the go forward department. He was sublime in fact. I'd expect that he'd need a bit of patience to adapt to the different style of football the EPL will challange him with but Ged has that ability to bring out and encourage the most from his charges, I'm sure he'll be able to guide Diouf into a transistion from the french league to the English Premier League.

From the little I've seen of him he looks an exciting prospect with a seemingly huge amount of potential. It will be interesting to see how he copes and how well he can settle in. One thing I do wonder about though is the rotational policy and how he will feel about playing through such a system in his first few months if that indeed ends up being the case. His form I guess will play some part in that.

But there is no doubt that there is going to be a lot of interest and excitement seeing him in the Red shirt. I for one can't wait. Match reports 'n' all.

Offline Steve C

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2002, 10:47:56 am »
From what Ive seen, accepting limitations on judging a player on a World Cup, he looks like an excellent prospect.

His main attribute is the ability to control seemingly impossible balls, and his awareness at bringing others into play. he has pace, skill, vision and power, and it is interesting that GH said he would play left, right, central, or behind the front 2.

I think he is perfect for the counter-attacking game, and will be loved by the likes of Stevie G, Murphy et al, who must surely be encouraged to run behyond the strikers more than last season...this guy will certainly feed them well.

His finishing ability certainly seems to be questionable, and a regular front 2 of him and Heskey would need the boost of goals from midfield. This can be worked on.

Overall, I am very excited by the prospect of him being at Anfield.

Offline Gojedo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2002, 11:20:05 am »
Agreed. He has exceptional ball control and not just on the stand still, but in going forward or any which way I guess and he certainly has wheels which makes his ball control at times all the more impressive. That was the case against Sweden and Denmark at least. France I can't quite remember.

And I don't think you'd find many arguments against him not been suited to the counter attacking game. Ged obviously had that in mind in regards to gaining El's services though I won't come out and say that's how the majority of our games will be played this season.

I actually think that getting the services of Daio and Diouf was quite a shrewd move on Ged's part. Two potentially exciting and talented players, both mates, both countrymen, both obviously speaking the same language, metaphorically and literally basically equating to the fact that that will be able to help each other settle in and encourage each other in beginning thier stints at Anfield.

Could be assumptious in how Ged thinks but I would'nt be surprised, he's obviously a great thinker in all facets of managerial nous.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2002, 01:20:13 pm »
Good reading!

What I remember from the game vs France is that he was brilliant. Back then I hoped that we'd sign him. Interesting to read that he was told he'd be played on the left, right and in the center, behind Owen and Heskey. 4-3-3? 4-3-1-2? Looks like Jari's days are numbered and it wouldn't surprise me if Smicer will struggle to get a game from now on.

I very much doubt that GH wants him as a 20 goals a season man. Surely he must have known what kind of player EHD is? GH knows his players and I reckon he knows more about EHD's goals than EHD himself. We paid a lot for him too, so it doesn't make much sense to put him on the bench, or in the Reserves to "learn".

What worries me after reading that article is his approach to the game. He's going to be the media darling, that's for certain. Can he handle it? Will he be accepted? I mean, he seems to be very much a "spice boy" to me. He's going to steal a lot of light from Mikey and I wonder if that's good or not. MO is, after all, still going to be the one who saves us when it comes to goals. Can the fans and the players accept that this kid becomes "The star", especially if he's going to have a spice boy attitude? I'm sure the media would love it...

What I like about EHD, apart from his obvious skills, is that he'll offer us something different. He could well be the key to unlock those tight defences that we struggled against last season. It will be most interesting to see if he's going to be taught to take defensive responsibilities and how he will cope with that. I for one hope that we'll try to get the most out of him in attack. So be it if he's not the best at defending! Hell, even Heskey seems to be a defender at times! Defending is a team thing, I know, but so is attacking. With so many players capable of defending, it would be nice if that allowed for an attacking player to shine.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline carra-legend

• Boys Pen
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2002, 02:50:02 pm »
Intresting article.

When the transfer rumours first emerged about a possible swoop for Diouf, I still hoped that Ged would convince Cisse to make the move to Anfield. However, this obviously didn't happen and so I turned my intrests to EHD.

After watching his very impressive performance against the pre-tournament favourites (France) I was still slightly sceptical as to whether he could reproduce that kind of dazzling display against younger, fitter defenders like Ferdinand etc...

However, his form did not faulter against other teams and I was particularly impressed by his performance versus the Swedish defence.

I am still wondering wether he can play as well as he has done in the World Cup on a wet and cold Wedsnesday night against the likes of Southampton or away to Boro etc...

As someone has already mentioned, will his personality allow him to accept the rotation system which at present, heavily favours Michael and Emile? From his comments about what Ged said to him, it seems like he might not have to, with a role just behind the front two or on the wings (similar to Wiltord's for Arsenal) on the cards.

But I'm not in the position to question Ged's knowledge so I will wait until EHD has played regularly for Liverpool before passing judgement.

Offline Curly Tom

• Has no life.
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Anfield Shrine
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2002, 03:31:48 pm »
I think it was Cardie who came up with the idea that Houllier might be looking to play a french style with Liverpool, three very quick players up front, a goal scorer through the middle and two quick players flanking him.

If that is the case Diouf will fit right in, Owen through the middle with Heskey on the right and Diouf on the left, both getting to the bi-line and putting balls into the box for Owen to sniff out. Diouf could do for us what Wiltord does for france and arsenal, play as a wide striker, although Wiltord can't finish to save his life.

It'll be interesting to see the line ups in the pre-season games.

"I lived my dream today, I lived it yesterday, and I'll be living yours tomorrow, anything else to say?"