Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 593885 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #8240 on: June 6, 2022, 03:16:36 pm »
Do you like Sharpe? He released Sharpes Assassin last year, after an absence of 29 years and there is another out this year - Sharpes Command.

I love the Uhtred books, he is one of my all time favourite characters but I love anything by Bernard Cornwell and have read everything hes done. His stand alone novels are great also, like Stonehenge and Azincourt. Gallows Thief in particular I remember as being brilliant.

I missed this. I enjoyed Assassin. With Assassin taking place directly after Waterloo and Sharpe retiring afterwards, what time frame and battleground could Command cover? Albuera is a major peninsular battle that's not been mentioned before, and I don't know what the South Essex were doing at the time.

Looking it up, Fuentes de Onoro (Sharpe's Battle) is 3-5 May 1811, so there may be time for a Sharpe back in Wellington's good books to be shifted to Beresford's army just in time for Albuera (16 May 1811). Maybe the South Essex were even already there, as Sharpe was fighting with another unit in Battle.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8241 on: August 14, 2022, 09:45:02 pm »
I had been meaning to read “Unreliable Memoirs” for years. Finally read it, it’s great. Turns out,there are four more books 

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #8242 on: August 14, 2022, 10:03:43 pm »
Gulls of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East

scintillating
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8243 on: August 14, 2022, 10:21:05 pm »
Still reading Deadhouse Gates - wow - taking a long time this :D

And about another 500 books to go in the series :D
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8244 on: August 14, 2022, 10:37:14 pm »

I just finished reading The Expanse novels, nine in total. It took me three years, I’m not a slow reader, but each book is 500 pages plus, and I like reading other types of books.

For anyone that followed the TV series, it all gets wrapped up in the last three novels. Not in the the TV

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8245 on: August 14, 2022, 10:41:54 pm »
Gulls of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East

scintillating

Seriously? Okay

Offline unclebob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • NEVER buy the s*n
« Reply #8246 on: August 14, 2022, 10:55:30 pm »
Just started reading Regenesis by George Monbiot. Won’t be well received by farmers but I think George has a lot of good ideas about how we can change and make a more positive impact on climate change. It’s a book that makes you think and one I’d encourage others to consider reading

It's on my to read list, let us know how it goes.
If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #8247 on: August 15, 2022, 04:48:13 am »

Very much worth it, though. There were moments even in the last few books where I didn't know what he was talking about, but if you can manage to let those moments roll off you and just keep going, it's a really great payoff.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8248 on: August 15, 2022, 06:49:23 am »

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #8249 on: August 15, 2022, 08:42:28 am »
Seriously? Okay

;D

yeah it's true

im an ornithologist

'scintillating' was a joke but the book is very good in its genre and took a completely different format than any before it, so props for that (it's an identification fieldguide of what's in the title)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 08:49:53 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8250 on: August 15, 2022, 09:04:04 am »
Nearly finished Pep Ljinder's book. A very enjoyable read, a nice s season review with some funny and interesting behind the scenes stuff.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8251 on: August 15, 2022, 11:48:10 am »
;D

yeah it's true

im an ornithologist

'scintillating' was a joke but the book is very good in its genre and took a completely different format than any before it, so props for that (it's an identification fieldguide of what's in the title)

Haha, thanks for clearing that up. I wasn’t sure if you were doing a sophisticated whoosh

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8252 on: August 15, 2022, 11:53:12 am »
A couple of Craig Brown books to add

One Two Three Four: The Beatles in Time

Ma'am Darling: 99 Glimpses of Princess Margaret

Both fantastic social histories

Online KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8253 on: August 15, 2022, 11:56:59 am »
A couple of Craig Brown books to add

One Two Three Four: The Beatles in Time

Ma'am Darling: 99 Glimpses of Princess Margaret

Both fantastic social histories

This was good, not sure if i mentioned it above in this thread, but i liked the unusual style of the book.

I`m still reading the Jodi Taylor (NOT) time-travelling Historians St.Mary`s series. Quite light and humorous, but i do like the historical details.

Also reading Le Carre`s last novel "Silverview".
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8254 on: August 15, 2022, 12:33:25 pm »
This was good, not sure if i mentioned it above in this thread, but i liked the unusual style of the book.

I`m still reading the Jodi Taylor (NOT) time-travelling Historians St.Mary`s series. Quite light and humorous, but i do like the historical details.

Also reading Le Carre`s last novel "Silverview".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAJ1CgCOe_w

Online KillieRed

• Legacy Fan

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #8256 on: August 16, 2022, 12:09:17 pm »
I had speed read Where The Crawdads Sing in the space of a few days before watching the film when it came out, so I am taking a little break but think I am ready to jump back in soon with The Last Thing To Burn.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8257 on: August 16, 2022, 12:34:09 pm »
Finished Jarvis Cocker's Good Pop/Bad Pop. Brief but a real breeze of a read, focuses more on the early days of Pulp. Recommended for any fans of him personally, but not if you are looking for some gossip on the Britpop era. 
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8258 on: August 23, 2022, 02:23:32 pm »
Just picked up a copy of Heat 2, written by Michael Mann in conjunction with Meg Gardiner.  Apparently it's both a sequel and prequel, going to save it for my holiday.

Just finished 'American Kingpin', it chronicles the Silk Road website and its creator Ross Ulbricht.  It didn't tell me much I didn't already know but it's an easy enough read and written more like a thriller.  Probably recommended for those that don't know much about Dark Web drug sites.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8259 on: August 23, 2022, 11:38:07 pm »
Just picked up a copy of Heat 2, written by Michael Mann in conjunction with Meg Gardiner.  Apparently it's both a sequel and prequel, going to save it for my holiday.

Just finished 'American Kingpin', it chronicles the Silk Road website and its creator Ross Ulbricht.  It didn't tell me much I didn't already know but it's an easy enough read and written more like a thriller.  Probably recommended for those that don't know much about Dark Web drug sites.

There’s a great two part series of articles on Wired from 2015 about Ulbricht

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/silk-road-1/

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8260 on: August 24, 2022, 01:22:36 am »
Just finished The Mist and Salem's Lot.

Currently reading Ready Player 2. So far it feels like something I'd have wrote for my GSCE coursework when I was 16.

Online KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8261 on: August 24, 2022, 09:03:49 am »

John Connolly is currently my favourite fiction author.

I`m reading his latest twin novel: The Sisters Strange/The Furies.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #8262 on: August 24, 2022, 10:48:33 am »
Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra

now before the lot of yers say fuck off liverbloke you only read the match-day programme - can I say that I gave it a good go and was blown away by the first few chapters but after that I got bored (friggin philistine)

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8263 on: August 24, 2022, 12:11:37 pm »
Read a great little novel at the weekend

Greybeard by Brian Aldiss, about a future world where no kids are being born and everyones getting old. Also has a great character name in it - Bunny Jingadangelow  :)

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #8264 on: August 24, 2022, 02:47:46 pm »

Greybeard by Brian Aldiss, about a future world where no kids are being born and everyones getting old. Also has a great character name in it - Bunny Jingadangelow  :)

Is it bleak like Children of Men?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8265 on: August 24, 2022, 02:55:07 pm »
Is it bleak like Children of Men?

No, I didn't think so. Nothing graphic or violent really.

It was written in 1964 and think it was actually set in the 2020's. Part of the SF Masterworks series.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8266 on: August 24, 2022, 04:11:26 pm »

The novels that Aldiss wrote in the sixties are amazing. I remember reading Greybeard as a teenager, it’s probably one of his most conventional books. “Barefoot in the Head” is utterly bizarre, must have been using a lot of LSD.

I’m not so keen on the later works, the Helliconia series or Frankenstein Unbound

I’d recommend these

Report on Probability A
An Age
Earthworks
Hothouse
The Primal Urge
Non-Stop
Greybeard
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 03:13:14 am by Ginamos »

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8267 on: August 26, 2022, 01:05:52 am »
Had to stop reading Ready Player 2 about 50 pages deep.

What a load of shite. Jesus.

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #8268 on: August 31, 2022, 01:40:49 pm »
Recently finished firstly The Good Germans by Catrine Clay. Focuses on 6 characters who resisted the Nazis and specifically those involved in the failed assassination of Hitler in July 1944.  Lots of detail and reveals the depth of the plot and the amount of people involved.

Second book just finished as normally have two on the go is The Book Smugglers of Timbuktu by Charlie English.  Great book as part reporting and part history about a team of librarians and archivists protecting precious manuscripts when jihadists invaded Mali in 2012.

Moving next onto The Five by Hallie Rubenhold about the back stories to Jack the Rippers victims and The Ratline an account of what happened to Otto von Wachter Governor of Galicia in World War 2 by Phillipe Sands.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #8269 on: August 31, 2022, 02:01:09 pm »
I know this thread is dominated by fiction but for those of you who like history and want to see it written from the perspective of those who lost, this is a fantastic book, the peasants revolt, the 1536 'Pilgrimage of Grace' uprising, the general strike, Peterloo and the Chartists, the English Civil War. It just makes you realise how this country has remained in the hands of the establishment by good luck and fortune and how much, over the years, the masses have been controlled and conned.

Frank Mclynn writes in a detailed but really accessible manner, well researched every time
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8270 on: August 31, 2022, 02:55:43 pm »
Has anyone read the "The New York Trilogy" by Paul Auster

I got it when I was off on a 'good reading' kick and it had high recommendations. I first read it and although found it a bit tedious, convinced myself that it was good and a deep book about innate knowledge

I read it again recently and it's absolute total utter shite.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8271 on: September 3, 2022, 09:23:54 am »

I got it when I was off on a 'good reading' kick and it had high recommendations. I first read it and although found it a bit tedious, convinced myself that it was good and a deep book about innate knowledge

I started reading that a few years back as people said he's similar to Murakami (probably my favourite author).

Agree that I found it terrible and gave up after a bit.

I recently finished 'The woman in the Dunes' which was strange but quite good.

Now 3/4 the way through of 'Pachinko' and it's probably the best read of 2022 for me alongside 'Piranesi'.

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8272 on: September 4, 2022, 09:05:26 pm »
The Second Summer of Love by Alun Shulman. Honestly, 4 mates invented acid house raves, fortunatley they knew fashion magazine writers, fanzine editors, photographers, club owners & promoters. Thank fuck, imagine if they didnt.
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8273 on: September 5, 2022, 02:07:43 pm »
Finally finished the Deadhouse Gates.

Now reading Memories of Ice.

Deadhouse gates was a really interesting mix of fantasy and history within the world

Spoiler

I'm wondering with all the hints of no-go areas and 'the Fall' that he's going the same direction of Michael Moorcock in his Eternal Champion Series and especially Jerry Cornelius where World War III was hinted at (Also see My Experiences in the Third World War, 1980 by the same author)

[close]

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #8274 on: September 8, 2022, 11:46:41 pm »

It is unreadable shite. Just fucking awful.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8275 on: September 14, 2022, 07:31:54 pm »
Has anyone read Stephen King's new book 'Fairy Tale'? I'm 100 or so pages in and fuck all has happened really. Extremely slow burner but going to persevere as he usually doesn't let you down.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #8276 on: September 14, 2022, 07:33:59 pm »
Has anyone read Stephen King's new book 'Fairy Tale'? I'm 100 or so pages in and fuck all has happened really. Extremely slow burner but going to persevere as he usually doesn't let you down.

Give it time, you're only about 4% in aren't you?  ;)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #8277 on: September 14, 2022, 11:14:57 pm »
From the Stephen King thread.

Fairy Tale

I was away recently on holidays somewhere Dutch, and I searched out and paid for the hardback of this in English, on a day trip to Utrecht. The following day, I started and finished it. Now, I had a good armchair, a lake view, plenty of cigarettes and beer and a wife mostly willing to leave me alone but still. I can't remember the last time I did that, if ever. Not for a book of more than 500 pages, certainly.

It's a thumper. I saw someone on the twitter machine comment with desperation that there was "no good place to stop". There are echoes of The Hunger Games, King's own The Long Walk and 11/22/63 or Neil Gaiman's Stardust. There are strong whiffs of Narnia about the place, there are evil Kings and good but cursed Princesses, disfigured but kind loners, wicked dwarves and royal insects. The story starts with our almost adult hero dealing with loss, grief and danger in the real world before going to a different sort of reality, and there's a faithful dog who is actually a big thread in the tale. I suspect King had an old dog in the house when he was writing this, and I had one at home being minded by my college age son, so it was plinking a lot of strings for me.

As I've said before in this thread, King can be a bit hit and miss. I went through a phase of not finishing a couple of his books, I just wasn't that bothered, but this one I fucking devoured. He also tends to start big and trail off somewhat but this one keeps going like a train all the way to the finish.

His best in a while.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #8278 on: September 14, 2022, 11:15:52 pm »
Also, Paul Auster is fucking fabulous.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8279 on: September 15, 2022, 11:12:59 pm »
Just finished "the road to unfreedom " by Timothy Snyder. Gives a great insight into Putin and his cabals way of thinking. How he influenced Brexit, Trumps election etc. Also the dangerous path America seems to be on. It's compelling and chilling  and was written in 2018. Warnings aplenty about how countries walk into facism. I dare anyone to read it and not suspect Trump is a russian asset.
I need some fiction now ;D