Author Topic: Arne Slot confirmed  (Read 93198 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Arne Slot confirmed
« Reply #400 on: May 23, 2024, 01:59:41 pm »
Less heavy metal football, more post-rock.
I'd like that. 😃

I went to see Mogwai once. Some patient build-up. Always in control. Then they hit you with a wall of noise that leaves you pasted to the rear wall of the venue.

Bring it on...
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #401 on: May 23, 2024, 02:01:23 pm »
I'd like that. 😃

I went to see Mogwai once. Some patient build-up. Always in control. Then they hit you with a wall of noise that leaves you pasted to the rear wall of the venue.

Bring it on...

Like Phil Spector, without the guns and stack heels then?

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #402 on: May 23, 2024, 03:35:03 pm »
Love all out aggressive football but would love some control in matches as well next season. Sort of a quiet/loud/quiet/loud style.

So basically Phil Collins
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #403 on: May 23, 2024, 03:36:11 pm »
So basically Phil Collins

Sa-sa-sadio is gone...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: May 23, 2024, 03:38:43 pm »
It's coming, I can feel it in the air...

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #405 on: May 23, 2024, 03:50:52 pm »
In 14/15 we'd lost Suarez, couldn't sign Alexis Sanchez, signed Rickie Lambert and Balotelli and other unsuitable players (there were good signings too in Origi, Lallana), we got knocked out of the CL in the group stage, then got knocked out of the Europa by Beşiktaş, lost the LC and FA Cup semis and finished 6th in the league, ending with a 6-1 hiding away at Stoke.

We had all the talk of the committee on one side and Rodgers on the other, Firmino was a fantastic signing but there was talk Rodgers didn't want him/know what to do with him, 15/16 started off with a 1-0 defeat at Stoke, we were poor until Rodgers got sacked, we were going nowhere fast - to me that was a broken club.

In hindsight, 13/14 papered over the cracks. Recruitment was still an issue, and the likes of Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge who had all arrived relatively recent in that time period were exceptions to the rule. It genuinely did feel the likes of Lambert, washed up Balotelli, et al was the limits of our ambition and all that we could ever afford. Despite a select few key figureheads, the squad was woefully average.

Although FSG had made us healthier than Hicks & Gillett, it still felt like we would never get out of second gear and that 5/6/7th place was now the natural state of things. I honestly think Klopp was the last throw of the dice to get us back into the elite tier. If it hadn't worked, I don't know where we'd have been.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: May 23, 2024, 04:05:40 pm »
I love that the Arne Slot song is to the tune of Baby Shark.

(This will never leave your head now - you're welcome :D )

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: May 23, 2024, 04:43:27 pm »
Slot deserves the biggest support a Liverpool manager can expect...in a way the job is a poisoned chalice...he will be judged not just on football and success but the person he is, compared to Klopp.

Most crucial thing is how the players buy into him..if that works he can start with an incredible foundation..second only to that is when games dont go well...and they might not..he gets the backing of the fans.

Were a year away before being able to judge Slot properly.
Spot on with all that FB. If Slot has a brilliant start we must accept it might not continue throughout the season, if he has a crap start we must watch with interest & patience and enjoy observing him getting it right. There'll be so many factors to consider and ultimately we'll see how his footballing side evolves over an appropriate period.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #408 on: May 23, 2024, 04:52:05 pm »
Spot on with all that FB. If Slot has a brilliant start we must accept it might not continue throughout the season, if he has a crap start we must watch with interest & patience and enjoy observing him getting it right. There'll be so many factors to consider and ultimately we'll see how his footballing side evolves over an appropriate period.

He’s going to be ok, so long as the outside noise is blocked out and no reason it won’t be - i.e. the pathetic and ever increasing banter side of the media and fans.

He’ll get total support at the match I don’t doubt this for a second, through any rough patch he may encounter. 
The nerds have clearly targetted him due to the style of football, so I actually expect a pretty smooth transition. Not perfect of course, but similar to Klopp in that he’ll take on board as he goes along what needs adjusting to a more intense league. And he may not need as much time to adjust as he’ll have likely studied his predecessor's football path here quite closely (or will have by pre-season!).

I just see Liverpool as being in a really good place despite the sadness of seeing Jürgen leave. When you see how other clubs like Man Utd, Bayern and Chelsea for instance deal with coaching changes, to see how Liverpool did it with Slot, should give people plenty of confidence.  They knew what they wanted in terms of passing the baton from one coach to the other, and got their man. 

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: May 23, 2024, 04:54:03 pm »

If you're talking about the one Klopp sang, the original is from the 1980's and is by Austrian band Opus, so you can keep yer baby shark shite ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Priory Road

• Kemlynite
« Reply #410 on: May 23, 2024, 04:55:57 pm »
We need to remember that even with Klopp it wasn't just constant progress - there were ups and downs.

In 15/16 we had lots of exciting matches and got to 2 finals, but our league form petered out and we finished outside the European places. In 16/17, after signing Mane, Wijnaldum and Matip, we started the season well, keeping pace with Chelsea until about November, but then we had a mid season wobble (especially in January). But we recovered well enough to grind out the results we needed to finish 4th. In 17/18, after buying Salah, Ox and Robertson, and promoting Trent to the first team, we had a string of poor results early on, and only got 13 points from our first 9 matches.

This coincided with Klopp's 2nd anniversary at the club and there were a number of articles comparing his record unfavourably with Rodgers' first 2 years. I never gave this any credence, as this included 2013/14, but I do remember thinking at the time 'If not even Jürgen Klopp can make us competitive in the league, then who can?' As it happened our form picked up, and especially after signing VVD in January and Fabinho and Alisson in the summer, we had 2 1/2 amazing seasons.

So we need to be ready to give Slot time, as long as we see a plan, and he shows that he learns from the inevitable mistakes.

Fantastic post.

As long as we see progress in style of play - and there will be a real shift in emphasis from a more direct play to patient possession football - Arne Slot, for me,  gets a couple of years honeymoon period without landing trophies.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: May 23, 2024, 05:01:49 pm »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/05/20/arne-slot-liverpool-manager-contract-signed-key-players/

Arne Slot has brought his first pre-season training sessions forward by a week – the squad will reconvene in the first week of July – so he can begin acclimatising to his new environment. Those representing their country at Euro 2024 and Copa America will return later, depending on how far they progress in the tournament.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: May 23, 2024, 05:02:02 pm »
Do the club sit down with the new manager and discuss do's and dont's as a Liverpool manager ?

Don't talk with certain newspapers, radio stations etc...  get fully versed with the history and culture.

Maybe on his first day he has to watch loads of health and safety videos, and there is a company history video which covers this off !   

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: May 23, 2024, 05:07:02 pm »
In hindsight, 13/14 papered over the cracks. Recruitment was still an issue, and the likes of Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge who had all arrived relatively recent in that time period were exceptions to the rule. It genuinely did feel the likes of Lambert, washed up Balotelli, et al was the limits of our ambition and all that we could ever afford. Despite a select few key figureheads, the squad was woefully average.

Although FSG had made us healthier than Hicks & Gillett, it still felt like we would never get out of second gear and that 5/6/7th place was now the natural state of things. I honestly think Klopp was the last throw of the dice to get us back into the elite tier. If it hadn't worked, I don't know where we'd have been.

Yes it did. I saw an interview that Suarez gave and he was comapring Liverpool then to Liverpool under Klopp and he said back then, no-one wanted to sign for Liverpool, whereas now, players want to sign. I also saw a comment on one of the Klopp videos where someone said something like we were seen as a stepping stone, but under Jurgen we became the destination.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: May 23, 2024, 05:07:49 pm »
Do the club sit down with the new manager and discuss do's and dont's as a Liverpool manager ?

Don't talk with certain newspapers, radio stations etc...  get fully versed with the history and culture.

Maybe on his first day he has to watch loads of health and safety videos, and there is a company history video which covers this off !   

I think its made pretty clear straight away that you don't talk to the Scum.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: May 23, 2024, 05:09:18 pm »
He will have a Comms officer at evrey press conferance and post game. Same guy who was with Jurgen, unless he's going too?  :D

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: May 23, 2024, 06:04:40 pm »
Anyone else disappointed with Slot so far? We've not even signed Mbappe yet 🙄
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: May 23, 2024, 06:16:58 pm »
Anyone else disappointed with Slot so far? We've not even signed Mbappe yet 🙄

More disappointed with the Phil Collins shout above.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: May 23, 2024, 06:25:10 pm »

Big Tone will be chaperoning him now you'd think so he'll be well informed!

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #419 on: May 23, 2024, 06:30:56 pm »
More disappointed with the Phil Collins shout above.

Gerrard doesn't like this.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: May 23, 2024, 06:40:31 pm »
He’s going to be ok, so long as the outside noise is blocked out and no reason it won’t be - i.e. the pathetic and ever increasing banter side of the media and fans.

He’ll get total support at the match I don’t doubt this for a second, through any rough patch he may encounter. 
The nerds have clearly targetted him due to the style of football, so I actually expect a pretty smooth transition. Not perfect of course, but similar to Klopp in that he’ll take on board as he goes along what needs adjusting to a more intense league. And he may not need as much time to adjust as he’ll have likely studied his predecessor's football path here quite closely (or will have by pre-season!).

I just see Liverpool as being in a really good place despite the sadness of seeing Jürgen leave. When you see how other clubs like Man Utd, Bayern and Chelsea for instance deal with coaching changes, to see how Liverpool did it with Slot, should give people plenty of confidence.  They knew what they wanted in terms of passing the baton from one coach to the other, and got their man. 
:thumbup

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #421 on: May 23, 2024, 06:41:43 pm »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/05/20/arne-slot-liverpool-manager-contract-signed-key-players/

Sensible, tbf. New coach, and a euro year, so we need to spend as much time as possible with whomever is available.
I just hope our marathon season doesn't impact us as heavily as they did before, but BECAUSE OF THAT, I will give Arne the time to ride the storm.
We'll most likely face "downtime" again as we recover physically from last season.
Just hope our fans are savvy enough to recognize that we will have to deal with a new coach as well as post-exertion issues, such as lethargy, lack of sharpness, niggly injuries, defensive issues that usually go hand in hand with that, and a lack of rythm at least until mid November.
I'm ready for that.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 06:53:59 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: May 23, 2024, 06:46:06 pm »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline KC7

• Anny Roader
« Reply #423 on: May 23, 2024, 07:10:35 pm »

We are one of the two biggest clubs in the country, the name and support base will ensure the club will always be there or thereabouts. Our depths are 6th, 7th, 8th (years between Rafa ending and 2013/14). United are at that now, but that won't last. .

We have the most iconic club ground in the country, the most famous anthem on the planet, players (and managers) are drawn to the club. To quote Kuyt upon signing, "dream club". Our 50 million will go much further than the Ev's 50 million for example.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: May 23, 2024, 07:51:08 pm »
Seeing whats going on with Bayern Munich and Chelsea I think we did alright with Slot. There are no new clear cut managers, FSG did the search with time and Im happy with our choice. Thiago Motta also seems like a very exciting name to me but I dont think he was a good fit for us. Juventus did well to get him. Barcelona should have tried to get him as well imo.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: May 23, 2024, 08:08:52 pm »
Seeing whats going on with Bayern Munich and Chelsea I think we did alright with Slot. There are no new clear cut managers, FSG did the search with time and Im happy with our choice. Thiago Motta also seems like a very exciting name to me but I dont think he was a good fit for us. Juventus did well to get him. Barcelona should have tried to get him as well imo.
These are all the things we need to consider, although I've never heard of Motta.
It might seem a bit mad, but at this stage I actually feel extremely satisfied at the position we're in given the holistic circumstances.
At one point I was petrified who the fuck we might end up with for the exact reasons you outlined. So trusting the backroom to undertake appropriate research we've secured the services of a young, progressive coach/manager (the name doesn't matter) whose gone the distance and won a league.

It would be pretty awful if at this stage we we unable to find a candidate at all.

Lets get behind the bloke now. There's shiny trophies to be won.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: May 23, 2024, 08:18:20 pm »
After Klopp announced he was leaving I begun researching the new crop of managers (mainly through youtube and articles to be honest). One that I liked was Thiago Motta. Under him Bologna played a very intresting possesion based style of football but he didnt seem like a good fit for our squad. Im excited to see how he does at Juventus (which isnt official but looks likely) as a football fan but I think Slot is a better choice for us.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: May 23, 2024, 08:24:20 pm »
We introduce you to Arne Slot's staff members, today David Sipke Hulshoff Hasselhoff

https://x.com/Arneslotfanpage/status/1793347402037969135

He did not have a career in professional football, but started training amateur teams at a young age. In 1999, Hulshoff was appointed youth coach at SC Cambuur. After three years, he swapped the club for FC Groningen, where he spent a year as a trainee with the under-19 team. After one season, he returned to SC Cambuur, only to make the switch to FC Groningen again after two seasons.

𝗖𝗼𝗹𝗹𝗮𝗯𝗼𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗔𝗿𝗻𝗲 𝗦𝗹𝗼𝘁
In November 2015, he was added to the SC Cambuur staff together with Arne Slot. The team had made a poor league start under coach Henk de Jong and technical manager Henri van der Vegt decided to replace assistant coach Sandor van der Heide in response. In the 2019/20 season, Hulshoff became assistant to Wim Jonk at FC Volendam. After two seasons, he left to become the head coach of Feyenoord under 21, where he would work closely with Arne Slot who had been appointed head coach of Feyenoords' first team. Hulshoff became assistant coach of the Feyenoord first team in 2022, Hulshoff won the national title in 2023 and the KNVB Cup in 2024 as assistant coach at Feyenoord. Together with Arne Slot, he will now join Liverpool. Sipke Hulshoff is Slot's number one, he is Slot's methodologist and leads the tactical periodization. Give him a warm welcome

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #428 on: May 23, 2024, 08:25:41 pm »
These are all the things we need to consider, although I've never heard of Motta.
It might seem a bit mad, but at this stage I actually feel extremely satisfied at the position we're in given the holistic circumstances.
At one point I was petrified who the fuck we might end up with for the exact reasons you outlined. So trusting the backroom to undertake appropriate research we've secured the services of a young, progressive coach/manager (the name doesn't matter) whose gone the distance and won a league.

It would be pretty awful if at this stage we we unable to find a candidate at all.

Lets get behind the bloke now. There's shiny trophies to be won.

And, took AZ Alkmaar in his first season to finished second behind Ajax on goal difference. The Eredivisie was cancelled midway due to the COVID-19 pandemic, so no title was awarded for the season anyway.

Also became the first coach to win 19 points in his first eight Eredivisie games at AZ.
He also recorded 2.11 points per game in his time with AZ- the highest of any coach in the club's history
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 08:27:47 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline missis sumner

• Not giving it up for Capon, not even when he understands her yet none of her friends does.....
  • Kopite
  • G'wan, my son
« Reply #429 on: May 23, 2024, 08:26:59 pm »

Whachoo talkin abar, Willis?

It's Opus, as has already been said.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #430 on: May 23, 2024, 08:37:53 pm »
I think the biggest question mark regarding Slot is whether he can deal with elite players. We have a really big squad and he is going to be leaving top players out week in week out. Klopp was a massive character with an unbelievable CV. He had the kudos to make those decisions and still build a harmonious dressing room.

Slot has never really had to deal with that. Hopefully, he can make the step up and blossom into an elite head coach.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: May 23, 2024, 08:40:34 pm »
The man has put out 11 players on a footie pitch before mate.  This isn't some grand , uber tough thing.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #432 on: May 23, 2024, 08:51:09 pm »
The man has put out 11 players on a footie pitch before mate.  This isn't some grand , uber tough thing.

When you have five top forwards and can only select three of them. Then that is a different situation to what Slot will have dealt with before. Same in midfield and defence. For me it was telling that the relationship seemed to deteriorate between Klopp and the likes of Salah and Nunez after Klopp announced he was leaving.

Klopp was untouchable at Liverpool. Slot will not be in the same position and will have to build the trust of the players and create the kind of harmony Klopp had.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: May 23, 2024, 08:54:23 pm »
Fuckin' Hell! Do you suggest he puts 15 players onto the pitch?  ;D

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #434 on: May 23, 2024, 09:04:16 pm »
Fuckin' Hell! Do you suggest he puts 15 players onto the pitch?  ;D

There will be times when he would love to be able to do that. A giant of the game leaving out a couple of top forwards is completely different to Slot doing it. Klopp had an incredible ability to keep everyone feeling included and happy. Players knew they would get chances.

A new coach is different. The players knew they were there because Klopp wanted them. A new coach doesn't have that positive.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #435 on: May 23, 2024, 09:41:13 pm »
There will be times when he would love to be able to do that. A giant of the game leaving out a couple of top forwards is completely different to Slot doing it. Klopp had an incredible ability to keep everyone feeling included and happy. Players knew they would get chances.

A new coach is different. The players knew they were there because Klopp wanted them. A new coach doesn't have that positive.

I think the good thing is that it wasn't just Klopp's doing, it's also the culture in the squad and even with Klopp gone that will stay the same as long as we have our major players like Virgil around. I would also hope that it's an advantage that our captain and our new manager share the same nationality. You would hope that creates an even bigger incentive for Virgil to support the new manager in every way he can while he is bedding in. Tell him a bit about what the club is about, how to deal with the players, what they are like, etc. Not that he wouldn't have done it with a different manager, but with a fellow countryman it might be easier for them to bond quickly.

I loved Klopp saying that this is not the end, but just the start. For me, it kind of killed the sadness about Klopp leaving. It would have been great to still have him around for many years, but he has to do what he has to do and he is still one of us. What also gives me hope is that we are changing managers in an upwards period for us. We haven't sacked an underperforming manager with huge issues in the squad, we have just had a pretty good season even if the final few weeks were horrible for whatever reason. However, we've still seen up until those final weeks what this team is capable of and that is something that should give everyone a positive mindset for the new season. Slot can come in and try and to his thing without having to fight fires all over the place as might be the case had we sacked his predecessor and were underperforming.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: May 23, 2024, 09:45:04 pm »
God bless you Al. Making anything a big deal out of nothing.  ;D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: May 23, 2024, 09:48:51 pm »
Not to be nasty Al but all of the questions you pose go without saying anyway. Honestly sometimes you're insufferable and as I've said to others I'd hate to live a life of present and prescient negativity and misery.

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #438 on: May 23, 2024, 10:23:38 pm »
All the stories about other big clubs' managerial shortlists really put the Slot appointment in perspective.

Most people saying he wasn't proven enough or successful enough weren't particularly forthcoming about the golden alternatives we were supposedly overlooking. Now you've got Bayern hiring the manager who got Burnley relegated, Chelsea with a shortlist that includes two candidates who have never managed above the Championship, and Juventus going for Motta, who seems promising but who hasn't won anything yet.

The only other manager who seemed gettable and had similar pedigree to Slot was Amorim, but there's presumably something about him that is stopping all these desperate clubs from pulling the trigger (although, to be fair, maybe he's sensibly waiting for some better run options to come along).

All this is making me even more pleased in retrospect that we got Slot. I'm yet to see a managerial hire elsewhere that makes me think "oh, he might have been a good option too".

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #439 on: May 23, 2024, 11:56:29 pm »
Not to be nasty Al but all of the questions you pose go without saying anyway. Honestly sometimes you're insufferable and as I've said to others I'd hate to live a life of present and prescient negativity and misery.

All I did was my give my opinion on what will be the biggest challenge facing Slot. Then stated hopefully he can step up and bloosom into an elite head coach. So why does that elicit a reply about negativity and misery.

If they are so obvious and go without saying what is wrong with bringing it up as an opinion.?

Peesonally I think it far healthier to have realistic expectations. We have a new coach with new ideas. A short pre season and it may well take a while for Slot to adjust to coaching at a higher level and it may well take the players a while to adjust to the new coaches methods.

There seems to be only two opinions allowed either everything goes smimmingly or turns to shit. It isn't black and white and we should be allowed to have opinions that are shades of gray without being branded negative or miserable.
"Ohhh-kayyy"