Author Topic: Arne Slot confirmed  (Read 92101 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Arne Slot confirmed
« Reply #360 on: May 22, 2024, 07:58:09 pm »
I think that's massively overstating it.  Klopp arrived in October 15, the 13/14 season was our best since we won the league.  Our squad was pretty decent too.  The fans lost faith in Brendan Rodgers pretty quickly and I get it, he is a very odd man and not a great fit for us but I don't think we were broken at all.  Well run off the pitch, plans to expand the ground, decent squad... we'd just had a pretty average 18 months and were feeling sorry for ourselves.  Klopp walked into a side who played attacking football and many of the players who already fitted his style, albeit with some areas of weakness.

Slot has the advantage of a much better squad, but much higher expectations too.  No one here doubts this team now, to be honest, we've just got doubts on him.  He just needs some patience, and I hope he gets it.  Klopp felt the perfect fit, and I can't imagine Liverpool without him at the moment but Paisley, Shankly, Benitez, Houllier, Klopp - all absolutely adored, but each very different personalities.

In 14/15 we'd lost Suarez, couldn't sign Alexis Sanchez, signed Rickie Lambert and Balotelli and other unsuitable players (there were good signings too in Origi, Lallana), we got knocked out of the CL in the group stage, then got knocked out of the Europa by Beşiktaş, lost the LC and FA Cup semis and finished 6th in the league, ending with a 6-1 hiding away at Stoke.

We had all the talk of the committee on one side and Rodgers on the other, Firmino was a fantastic signing but there was talk Rodgers didn't want him/know what to do with him, 15/16 started off with a 1-0 defeat at Stoke, we were poor until Rodgers got sacked, we were going nowhere fast - to me that was a broken club.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #361 on: May 22, 2024, 08:00:58 pm »
We won 1-0 at Stoke Rob. Coutinho screamer. First game of the season having had the last game there in May when we lost 6-1. We then won’t against Bournemouth and drew 0-0 at Arsenal. You could argue we’d had a good start but then lost 3-0 at home to West Ham which was a shocker.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: May 22, 2024, 08:25:16 pm »
Welcome Mr Arne Slot. May you be our new Paisley, to Klopp's Shankly

Good luck to you

YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: May 22, 2024, 08:26:05 pm »
We won 1-0 at Stoke Rob. Coutinho screamer. First game of the season having had the last game there in May when we lost 6-1. We then won’t against Bournemouth and drew 0-0 at Arsenal. You could argue we’d had a good start but then lost 3-0 at home to West Ham which was a shocker.

Arl fart brain failing again ;D

Still wanted Brendan gone, knew we were going nowhere under him, started hearing stuff before the Derby Klopp had the job, someone I know was at the press conference before the derby and told me Rodgers looked lost and the same person told me Sunday night Klopp had the job. Never thought we'd get him.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: May 22, 2024, 08:27:36 pm »
He has requested non Euros/Copa players return to pre season training one week earlier than previously scheduled.  ;D

Offline jlb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #365 on: May 22, 2024, 08:35:14 pm »
Personally I think 1st 12-18 months are more about observing progress in implementation of tactical ideas. We need to see the vision of what the finished article might look like. We saw that with Klopp even if the results and league position weren’t always great in 1st 18 months. Starting point is better for Slot so I see alignment of a good league position and implementing tactical ideas as being inclusive.

We need to remember that even with Klopp it wasn't just constant progress - there were ups and downs.

In 15/16 we had lots of exciting matches and got to 2 finals, but our league form petered out and we finished outside the European places. In 16/17, after signing Mane, Wijnaldum and Matip, we started the season well, keeping pace with Chelsea until about November, but then we had a mid season wobble (especially in January). But we recovered well enough to grind out the results we needed to finish 4th. In 17/18, after buying Salah, Ox and Robertson, and promoting Trent to the first team, we had a string of poor results early on, and only got 13 points from our first 9 matches.

This coincided with Klopp's 2nd anniversary at the club and there were a number of articles comparing his record unfavourably with Rodgers' first 2 years. I never gave this any credence, as this included 2013/14, but I do remember thinking at the time 'If not even Jürgen Klopp can make us competitive in the league, then who can?' As it happened our form picked up, and especially after signing VVD in January and Fabinho and Alisson in the summer, we had 2 1/2 amazing seasons.

So we need to be ready to give Slot time, as long as we see a plan, and he shows that he learns from the inevitable mistakes.

Offline jlb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #366 on: May 22, 2024, 08:47:24 pm »
I think that's massively overstating it.  Klopp arrived in October 15, the 13/14 season was our best since we won the league.  Our squad was pretty decent too.

Yes, but after 13/14, we lost Suarez and Sterling, and Sturridge seemed to be injured more often than not. We signed Balotelli and then Benteke but neither signing worked out (unsurprisingly in the case of the former). So our squad, while decent, lost its major strength, which was firepower.

Offline KC7

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #367 on: May 22, 2024, 09:14:32 pm »
Yes, but after 13/14, we lost Suarez and Sterling, and Sturridge seemed to be injured more often than not. We signed Balotelli and then Benteke but neither signing worked out (unsurprisingly in the case of the former). So our squad, while decent, lost its major strength, which was firepower.

When that got weakened we were done for.

Always thought Brendan would make a a good offensive coach. Unfortunately for him he's in the wrong sport for that. The main reason we lost against Chelsea was his inability to set a team up defensively. Stevie with his miscontrol was unfairly made the scapegoat for the result, when no opposing player should have an empty half of the field to run into if a midfielder makes a mistake. Giving a forward a one on one against the goalkeeper from the halfway line, the equivalent of one of those old US style penalties, that's on Brendan. He's top five offensively, bottom five defensively. His Celtic side always seemed to get massacred in Europe.

Did think at the time the owners were waiting for Klopp to become available before sacking Brendan, as why would you hang on to a manager for just two months? Klopp wanted his holiday so we were never getting him that summer, the earliest time to get him was when we managed to do it. Timing is everything, and we hit the sweet spot.

Online PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: May 22, 2024, 09:24:45 pm »
The interviewer is staring at Slot like you better say feyenoord is a big club you bald prick. You better say it!

To be fair, Feyenoord are a big club ...

Online PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: May 22, 2024, 09:29:02 pm »
He has requested non Euros/Copa players return to pre season training one week earlier than previously scheduled.  ;D

Good, 5 weeks of rest should be enough for them. A great opportunity for the younger players to impress ...

Offline seenitall

• Main Stander
  • Liverpool FC has the most knowledgeable supporters
« Reply #370 on: May 22, 2024, 09:59:48 pm »
Dodged a bullet there with Xabi🤣🤣

Online PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: May 22, 2024, 10:09:04 pm »
Dodged a bullet there with Xabi🤣🤣

Xabi is a top manager. The good news is, so is Arne ...

Offline seenitall

• Main Stander
  • Liverpool FC has the most knowledgeable supporters
« Reply #372 on: May 22, 2024, 10:18:35 pm »
Xabi is a top manager. The good news is, so is Arne ...

It was a joke!!

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: May 22, 2024, 10:19:48 pm »

If I'm not misremembering we were brilliant that night but Petr Cech in goal was excellent for them.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #374 on: May 22, 2024, 10:38:21 pm »

Was that West Ham match the one where Lovren was doing stepovers in our defensive third?

Offline HullReD

• Main Stander
« Reply #375 on: May 22, 2024, 10:43:34 pm »

Offline marmite

• Main Stander
« Reply #376 on: May 22, 2024, 10:51:50 pm »
 :o i thought it was a Arne slot post
im autistic dyslexic born deaf so spelling may be bad on some days bear with me its something i try very hard to get righy ... im not thick... supported liverpool fc from a very early age of 6 that would have been 1974  and still follow their every move today been to anfield and away games many times but now days its more online due to bad health

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #377 on: May 22, 2024, 10:52:38 pm »
To be fair, Feyenoord are a big club ...
Yeah... craaazy passionate fans as well.
I once saw their derby... wow! I would wet my pants if I was the opposition! ;D

Mad bastards!
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #378 on: May 22, 2024, 10:55:08 pm »
:o i thought it was a Arne slot post
You ... bet on the wrong horse!
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #379 on: May 22, 2024, 11:06:50 pm »
Yeah... craaazy passionate fans as well.
I once saw their derby... wow! I would wet my pants if I was the opposition! ;D

Mad bastards!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: May 22, 2024, 11:11:16 pm »
What can be said?

- No I don’t think he will.

- Yes that’s a worry, it’s all going to go to shit.

We don’t really know who he may want to bring in. He may not get that much of a say in things anyway with the new structure which is maybe designed to stop something like Rodgers bringing in Borini type situations. Time will tell, but not going to worry about that just yet.

Haha yes, yes, I'll make sure to put all the emojis next time. It was a post that makes very little sense given the structure that Slot will be working under.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #381 on: May 22, 2024, 11:16:25 pm »

Does that demented child have any Everton relatives?

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #382 on: May 22, 2024, 11:27:40 pm »
Does that demented child have any Everton relatives?
Doubt it... That's him on the left like 20 years later. Notice the tattoo?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #383 on: May 23, 2024, 12:24:07 am »
Doubt it... That's him on the left like 20 years later. Notice the tattoo?

That's a good lad.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: May 23, 2024, 05:50:39 am »
Seen this posted on twitter:

I know all clubs have to deal with it but it's going to be hard for Slot to implement his ideas to the full squad before the season starts.  Horrible scheduling for this preseason. 

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: May 23, 2024, 06:55:37 am »
Yeah that's hideous. Won't be easy.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: May 23, 2024, 09:07:13 am »

I know all clubs have to deal with it but it's going to be hard for Slot to implement his ideas to the full squad before the season starts.  Horrible scheduling for this preseason.
Maybe I'm an idiot but I don't get it.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #387 on: May 23, 2024, 09:09:07 am »
Maybe I'm an idiot but I don't get it.

I’m assuming the red is potential playing time in competition and the orange post competition holidays?

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: May 23, 2024, 09:09:47 am »

This assumes that all players at the Euros/Copa will make the final though doesn't it? In reality, some will be finished well before July 14th/15th so will be back earlier.

Quansah and Curtis Jones probably won't go at all. 

We can also stop Salah going to the Olympics.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 09:11:48 am by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #389 on: May 23, 2024, 09:15:01 am »

Do we have a list Samie?
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #390 on: May 23, 2024, 09:15:26 am »
I’m assuming the red is potential playing time in competition and the orange post competition holidays?

Thanks for explaining because I didn`t quite get it either.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline baltic out here

• Would you buy a second hand vinyl off this fella?!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #391 on: May 23, 2024, 09:20:30 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ky5wZ4WxKh8&amp;ab_channel=TheFall-Topic" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ky5wZ4WxKh8&amp;ab_channel=TheFall-Topic</a>

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #392 on: May 23, 2024, 10:58:05 am »
Think we will have a season similar to 16/17 or 17/18 - both had brilliant wins and you could see the development of the side but we also had some mad defeats which meant we never stayed close to the league leaders. The first few months of the 17/18 was very inconsistent in terms of the league which shows development (and a certain VVD) cab happen.

Am hoping that since we're in the CL, it follows a similar sort of season!
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: May 23, 2024, 11:32:41 am »

Did think at the time the owners were waiting for Klopp to become available before sacking Brendan, as why would you hang on to a manager for just two months? Klopp wanted his holiday so we were never getting him that summer, the earliest time to get him was when we managed to do it. Timing is everything, and we hit the sweet spot.

Agree with this. I think it gave Klopp a decent run at getting to know the squad with almost zero expectations too, if he'd been in for the summer he'd have had no break since dortmund and had to hit the ground running. No liverpool manager can lose 6-1 away to Stoke and keep his job to be honest.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: May 23, 2024, 12:12:01 pm »

I have always felt it was agreed in the summer that he would come in when he was ready, it just happened to be that by October he was - IIRC, Chris (only6times) on here, posted on OnTheKop forum before the week of the Derby that his lad was in Germany and it was floating about Klopp had the job - I was told within minutes of the sacking who the new manager was.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #395 on: May 23, 2024, 12:22:13 pm »
Slot deserves the biggest support a Liverpool manager can expect...in a way the job is a poisoned chalice...he will be judged not just on football and success but the person he is, compared to Klopp.

Most crucial thing is how the players buy into him..if that works he can start with an incredible foundation..second only to that is when games dont go well...and they might not..he gets the backing of the fans.

Were a year away before being able to judge Slot properly.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 12:48:28 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #396 on: May 23, 2024, 12:31:59 pm »
Love all out aggressive football but would love some control in matches as well next season. Sort of a quiet/loud/quiet/loud style.

Less heavy metal football, more post-rock.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #397 on: May 23, 2024, 12:32:46 pm »
We need to remember that he's a coach though...
We need a paradigm shift.

We don't want, privately, weird expectations and itepretations of the coach's job to undermine what he's actually here to do. I'm already seeing expectations and assumptions being made of him and his job.

He is here to coach. Not to instill a philosophy, he doesn't run the whole floor, he isn't in charge of transfers, he isn't in charge of scouting.. He has to run a lot of things past Hughes/Edwards, he doesn't have as much freedom with regard to the press as our Managers had before him...
I don't like it, but I can see how it makes it better for us on the whole. Unfortunately, football is now run from the top-down, not from the bottom-up anymore.

He's a coach. He is here to coach according to OUR(which is similar to his) way of playing. Sure- there will be minor tactical changes and tweaks... but they need to be in line with what we already have here, and I don't think we will allow major changes.

It's a new era at Liverpool. The era of the Head Coach.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 01:33:46 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: May 23, 2024, 01:14:40 pm »
I have always felt it was agreed in the summer that he would come in when he was ready, it just happened to be that by October he was - IIRC, Chris (only6times) on here, posted on OnTheKop forum before the week of the Derby that his lad was in Germany and it was floating about Klopp had the job - I was told within minutes of the sacking who the new manager was.
It was obvious when they sacked Rodgers that they had already agreed a deal with his replacement, and when people like you began saying it was Klopp, people like me began getting excited.
Slot is never going to generate the same level of excitement, although the reports of his man management skills tell us he's not going to be pulling anything crass like the envelope trick on his first week in charge - I think he may prove a decent communicator with the supporters, too, judging by the emotions he generated in Rotterdam.

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: May 23, 2024, 01:33:37 pm »
Why is the thread title not "Arne Slot's in"?