Author Topic: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance  (Read 247995 times)

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance
« Reply #1640 on: April 1, 2024, 09:43:22 pm »
Want them to be in with a chance for top 5 in the penultimate week, when they play Arsenal.

Want them to be struggling for top 7 by the last week.  Arsenal will beat them regardless of their position.  But Arsenal is not their cup final,  stopping us wining the league is so they will put everything into Sunday.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1641 on: April 1, 2024, 09:54:56 pm »
Think we will win the league but we really need to much sharper when we start games. You sense we will be get caught out at some point unless we improve this aspect

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1642 on: April 1, 2024, 10:02:40 pm »
Why would we respect Sheffield Unfied? They’re objectively horrendous - one of the worst teams to be in the premier league in 20 years
We could play the game with 10 men and we’d still be favorites to win … with 11 men we’re 1/16 on

We’re away at United 3 days later … if you can’t rotate somewhat for a game like this you can’t win the league

Not sure what people want to happen but we’ve probably got 14 games left - most are 2 a week .. you can’t pick the same 11 for all 14 games and you have to keep the players you want to rotate in sharp also

I think the respect thing is more about not going into the game naive and acting like 3 points is a given

Pre Luton AND pre Man U, there was a sense of inevitability as if we couldn’t drop points, people are too quick to expect walkovers. We’ve dropped points to incredibly poor sides over the years, abysmal sides! Optimism is great but the over confidence is all too often present. For context you say this about Sheffield but worse was Derby, 11 points across a season and we only beat them in the second fixture 2-1 with our winner coming in the 90th min with shitloads of predictions of drubbings because they were soooo poor and there was no way we would score less than 4!

Every side deserves respect and confidence is one thing, it’s the overconfidence which sometimes grates because it can feel like our fans never learn. Everyone can obviously feel and express as they want freely but there are very few… if any givens in this league.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1643 on: April 1, 2024, 10:08:11 pm »
Think we will win the league but we really need to much sharper when we start games. You sense we will be get caught out at some point unless we improve this aspect

That was some finish by Welbeck to be fair. On most occasions that gets skied or it goes miles wide.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #1644 on: April 1, 2024, 10:20:38 pm »
That was some finish by Welbeck to be fair. On most occasions that gets skied or it goes miles wide.

The strike has been largely brushed under the carpet because the lost but it was brilliant finish.

Offline Irishred1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1645 on: April 1, 2024, 10:31:21 pm »
He is a good old slogger is welbeck but i wouldd say if he scores 2 of them out of 100 at best . Was such a good finish.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1646 on: April 1, 2024, 11:05:13 pm »

Yes - especially away from home.

Offline jj2005

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1647 on: April 1, 2024, 11:20:55 pm »
At this point we know that City, Liverpool and Arsenal are all pretty close to each other. Anyone claiming otherwise is wrong. And given that we’re all pretty close I’d much rather have a 2/3 point advantage.

I’m pretty confident now that if Arsenal and City next drop points before we do we’ll win it.

Strange that Arsenal are way ahead in a mini league between the title contenders with 8 pts while Liverpool and Man City are on 3 pts (Liverpool 2nd on goals scored 💪).
Usually the team that takes the most points against their titles rivals wins the league but this season Arsenal needed those wins just to get into contention.

Offline jj2005

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1648 on: April 1, 2024, 11:25:22 pm »

We're 8 points behind Newcastle's record of 34 points in 01/02 from losing positions.
Definitely not a record I'd like to beat, well obviously if we're up to 32 points and go a goal down, then I do.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1649 on: April 1, 2024, 11:30:42 pm »
We're 8 points behind Newcastle's record of 34 points in 01/02 from losing positions.
Definitely not a record I'd like to beat, well obviously if we're up to 32 points and go a goal down, then I do.

Would never have guess that was the team to hood that particular record! Although think they finished 4th and made the Champions League? Shearer and Bellamy, Laurent Robert and a few other good young players back then?

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1650 on: April 1, 2024, 11:35:45 pm »
Strange that Arsenal are way ahead in a mini league between the title contenders with 8 pts while Liverpool and Man City are on 3 pts (Liverpool 2nd on goals scored 💪).
Usually the team that takes the most points against their titles rivals wins the league but this season Arsenal needed those wins just to get into contention.

That is very strange indeed.

Perhaps it is an indictment on Arteta's style this season which has been way more conservative and grinding out results.

That style works if you make the "big games" a cup final and 1 goal wins it.  Where it doesn't work - which is about 80% of the season - is when you come up against the mid/lower league teams where attacking football wins games.

In my mind it's the difference between Liverpool and Man City and an Arsenal team which I maintain may surprise a few on how far back they fall in these next 9 games.  Watch Arsenal absolutely struggle to beat a plucky Luton team in their next game.  Call me crazy but with a little bit of luck I could see Luton getting a draw in that game at the Emirates.   :o

Historically people forget how helter skelter the final part of the Premier League is.  I expect we'll see some massive upsets in these final 9 games, I just hope we aren't on the end of any of them.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2024, 11:55:57 pm by latortuga »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1651 on: April 1, 2024, 11:58:14 pm »
All wins count but that Arsenal - City game was basically like the game yesterday. It was a speculative deflected shot that was the winner. To be fair to Arsenal though they deserved to win the game against us. But then we deserved to beat City.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1652 on: April 2, 2024, 12:09:15 am »
All wins count but that Arsenal - City game was basically like the game yesterday. It was a speculative deflected shot that was the winner. To be fair to Arsenal though they deserved to win the game against us. But then we deserved to beat City.

We should have really beaten Arsenal at home. We had the Trent chance which he’d normally bury along with several opportunities in the second half where we messed up the final ball or didn’t get a clean shot on goal when in good positions to do so. Nowhere near us dominant as we were against City but we usually win those kind of games.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #1653 on: April 2, 2024, 12:16:06 am »
Need to score a 6 or 7 nil win against Sheffield United to improve the goal difference now.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1654 on: April 2, 2024, 12:20:32 am »
Need to score a 6 or 7 nil win against Sheffield United to improve the goal difference now.

Whilst it would be great to rack up the goals, we’ve got Utd 3 days later so a comfortable lead followed by resting some of our key players would be the sensible thing to do. Last thing we need is additional injuries because we continued to play at a frenetic pace.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1655 on: April 2, 2024, 12:43:51 am »
We've had tough games or late drama in title-chasing seasons against almost all of the sides remaining, so it definitely won't be easy.

As is the case since the run-in in 2021-22, we have a tendency to fall behind early.  Going to need 9 games of mentality monsters.

Fulham away as a case in-point for the nerves, and they've already pushed us to the brink at Anfield
08/09:  Benayoun winner 90'
13/14:  Stevie winner 90'
18/19:  Milner winner 83'

Everyone will have a role to play here to get us over the line.

Benayoun's winner was dreamland stuff, thought we'd win the league that day.

Did we hit the post 8 times during that match?
:D

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1656 on: April 2, 2024, 01:50:20 am »

Yeah we had more/better chances in the 20 minutes following this that we didnt even look like scoring from

Offline aussie_ox

• Main Stander
  • LFC Blood Red all the way
« Reply #1657 on: April 2, 2024, 02:12:42 am »
Oliver not giving a pen for Doku kung fu kicking Macca is keeping them in the title race.   

Unfortunately if we don't win the title PGMOL would have played a huge role (Diaz goal awarded by VAR but not given on pitch, Odergaard basketball & Mac Kungfu Kick)

It's telling that rival fans get outraged over the Jota penalty when we were 3-2 up anyway and generally dominating the game. 
Klopp that!

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #1658 on: April 2, 2024, 07:01:45 am »
Oliver not giving a pen for Doku kung fu kicking Macca is keeping them in the title race.   

Unfortunately if we don't win the title PGMOL would have played a huge role (Diaz goal awarded by VAR but not given on pitch, Odergaard basketball & Mac Kungfu Kick)

It's telling that rival fans get outraged over the Jota penalty when we were 3-2 up anyway and generally dominating the game. 

I understood the outrage for that. The outrage over the dropball was an eye opener. Also, look at the reaction over a dropball on Match of the Day compared to Mac getting kicked in the chest by Doku.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #1659 on: April 2, 2024, 07:13:41 am »
Just seen that City have Villa at 8:15pm tomorrow and then 13:30 away at Palace on Saturday. Will be interesting to see how they cope with that and also how much Pep moans! Can’t see them getting six there.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1660 on: April 2, 2024, 08:26:39 am »
Just seen that City have Villa at 8:15pm tomorrow and then 13:30 away at Palace on Saturday. Will be interesting to see how they cope with that and also how much Pep moans! Can’t see them getting six there.

Then Madrid next Tuesday.

It is two tough matches close together.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #1661 on: April 2, 2024, 08:37:44 am »
If the coaching staff believe goal difference might be an issue at the end then this will be the game to target that, from that perspective the tactics chosen will be interesting
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1662 on: April 2, 2024, 09:11:56 am »
If the coaching staff believe goal difference might be an issue at the end then this will be the game to target that, from that perspective the tactics chosen will be interesting

Just supposing Arsenal put 4 or 5 past Luton tonight. We might make a decision at that point not to worry about GD and just give ourselves the best chance of winning every game rather than doing anything silly chasing goals.

But if they win narrowly, which is possible given the fight Luton are showing, then maybe we will chuck the kitchen sink at it a bit more.  Interesting little subplot anyway, but I think them playing before us might help us make our minds up in advance.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1663 on: April 2, 2024, 09:29:45 am »

Their game against Palace on Saturday actually kicks off at 12:30 not 1:30 which is even better.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1664 on: April 2, 2024, 09:31:46 am »
Just supposing Arsenal put 4 or 5 past Luton tonight. We might make a decision at that point not to worry about GD and just give ourselves the best chance of winning every game rather than doing anything silly chasing goals.

But if they win narrowly, which is possible given the fight Luton are showing, then maybe we will chuck the kitchen sink at it a bit more.  Interesting little subplot anyway, but I think them playing before us might help us make our minds up in advance.

I suspect GD is irrelevant until you’re 3 up. And then perhaps your messaging is a bit more ‘let’s try and get a few more lads’ instead of ‘just rest on the ball as much as possible and keep working hard off the ball lads’.

Offline Gerard00

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1665 on: April 2, 2024, 10:54:03 am »
I think City will win the next 2 handily enough. I can also see Aresnal racking up a cricket score against Luton so us taking 6 points in the next 2 is vital. I think SU will be trickier than we think so hopefully we can just get the win without any injuries. If we get through the next 2 and manage to get Jones and Trent back in the squad i'd be happy.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1666 on: April 2, 2024, 11:00:52 am »
How can you guys think about chasing GD and not think of that Crystal Palace game

Right now we know we win all our games and we win it. Only thing we should be thinking about.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #1667 on: April 2, 2024, 11:02:11 am »
Yeah fuck GD. Get the game won nice and early and conserve energy.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1668 on: April 2, 2024, 11:08:02 am »
I suspect GD is irrelevant until you’re 3 up. And then perhaps your messaging is a bit more ‘let’s try and get a few more lads’ instead of ‘just rest on the ball as much as possible and keep working hard off the ball lads’.

You're giving me nightmares of that night at Crystal Palace.

Mad to think that was a decade ago.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1669 on: April 2, 2024, 11:14:48 am »
Nice to see they've appointed Taylor as ref to make it a little more difficult, with Jurgen's mate John Brooks as VAR

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1670 on: April 2, 2024, 11:32:38 am »

Interesting subplot, yeah.

We also have to make sure our players traditionally vulnerable to injury
are only used sparingly against Sheffield. Want to see Konate all wrapped up and chilling by 45,
maybe Dom, and Darwin too.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1671 on: April 2, 2024, 11:38:37 am »
:D

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1672 on: April 2, 2024, 11:42:44 am »
I know they're all big now, but the United away game feels absolutely gigantic

I genuinely think if we win that, we will be unstoppable with the last 6 games

It feels like we are going under the radar a bit - 3 points ahead of City is huge for us, sort of means we can almost afford a draw which is big breathing space

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1673 on: April 2, 2024, 11:57:31 am »
Bit mad that 4 of our last 6 wil be away from home, and in that spell we’ll play 4 out of 5 away.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1674 on: April 2, 2024, 12:13:01 pm »
I think City will win the next 2 handily enough. I can also see Aresnal racking up a cricket score against Luton so us taking 6 points in the next 2 is vital. I think SU will be trickier than we think so hopefully we can just get the win without any injuries. If we get through the next 2 and manage to get Jones and Trent back in the squad i'd be happy.
Palace don't fear City at all so you never know. They even drew 2-2 at the Etihad after being 2 goals down and Emery's team plays the same way regardless of who they face. Villa totally outplayed City at Villa Park.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1675 on: April 2, 2024, 12:14:16 pm »
Let's just win the game and save our legs.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #1676 on: April 2, 2024, 12:17:36 pm »
I think the respect thing is more about not going into the game naive and acting like 3 points is a given

Pre Luton AND pre Man U, there was a sense of inevitability as if we couldn’t drop points, people are too quick to expect walkovers. We’ve dropped points to incredibly poor sides over the years, abysmal sides! Optimism is great but the over confidence is all too often present. For context you say this about Sheffield but worse was Derby, 11 points across a season and we only beat them in the second fixture 2-1 with our winner coming in the 90th min with shitloads of predictions of drubbings because they were soooo poor and there was no way we would score less than 4!

Every side deserves respect and confidence is one thing, it’s the overconfidence which sometimes grates because it can feel like our fans never learn. Everyone can obviously feel and express as they want freely but there are very few… if any givens in this league.
Is spot on mate - To me, this is the only thing that would cost us winning it.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1677 on: April 2, 2024, 12:18:05 pm »
Bit mad that 4 of our last 6 wil be away from home, and in that spell we’ll play 4 out of 5 away.

Also, it is basically this month or bust, isn't it?
The grunt work, the European games and the fast turnovers,
with that key week of aways, finishing at West Ham.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #1678 on: April 2, 2024, 12:20:24 pm »
I know they're all big now, but the United away game feels absolutely gigantic

I genuinely think if we win that, we will be unstoppable with the last 6 games

It feels like we are going under the radar a bit - 3 points ahead of City is huge for us, sort of means we can almost afford a draw which is big breathing space

Another spot on post and echoes my own thoughts exactly, except for the draw part. dropping points there will put pressure on us that we just don't need, but plus point is that we now owe them one after the cup game. Cliched I know, but we can't afford to take our minds off Thursday first though as it truly is one game at a time and we cannot afford to have even one eye on them until after the Sheff Utd match.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1679 on: April 2, 2024, 01:29:41 pm »
It’s the 3 points that matters. And all teams, Sheffield Utd included should be treated with respect
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur