Author Topic: Sheffield United vs Liverpool Pre match thread  (Read 12945 times)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Sheffield United vs Liverpool Pre match thread
« on: December 4, 2023, 06:49:39 pm »
Sheffield United vs Liverpool

Bramall Lane
Wednesday 6 December 2023

Officials:
Referee: Simon Hooper. Assistants: Simon Long, Captain Mainwaring. Fourth official: Tony Harrington. VAR: Michael Oliver. Assistant VAR: Richard West.

Into December then and we have some tough games coming up. This should on paper be one of the easier ones but then so should have Luton and Fulham. Fulham in particular was a wide open game and the whole team looked a bit leggy to me. Hopefully that was just a one off and we can get back to a more commanding performance on Wednesday.

Sheffield United are 18th which is probably about right looking at their squad, mainly because I don’t know most of them. They do have Tom Davies so I suppose it makes sense they’re in the relegation zone. They also have a few former Reds.

Jack Robinson is 30 now and got his first of  eleven games for us all those years ago under Rafa. Like probably every single youth player we’ve had, I had high hopes for him but he’s had spells at a few Championship clubs before ending up at Sheffield United where he’s not exactly been a regular but has still played nearly 100 games for them. He’s not played much this season though, having played only three league games so it’s unlikely hell start on Wednesday.

Yasser Larouci left a couple of summers ago but hasn’t really cemented himself at Troyes before going on loan to Sheffield United but it looks like he’s not really cemented himself there either. I thought he had a bit about him when he played in pre-season/youth games but it hasn’t happened for him.

Most frustrating of all is Rhian Brewster who had a lot of buzz and excitement surrounding him when he was top scorer as England won the Under 21 World Cup. I was really hoping he was going to stay here and become part of the first team and around the time we were winning the Champions League but instead we sold him for around £22m. It was a good fee at the time even though I know there was frustration that we were selling him. Unfortunately it hasn’t worked out so far, mainly because he’s had a lot of injury problems and has lost a lot of football in recent years. I’ve had brief look at what their fans think and it seems some like him while others don’t think he contributes enough even when he does play. Not great but I hope it still works out for him either at Sheffield United or elsewhere. He’s still young enough.

So it’s unlikely any of those three will play but it's a game we need to be winning and it’ll be an awful result if we don’t, regardless of whoever does. Overall, their form in recent weeks has seen them lose their last two games, both against potential relegation rivals Bournemouth and Burnley, the latter spanking them 5-0 on Saturday. Before that they got four points out of six, with a creditable draw at Brighton and a last minute winner at Wolves, albeit via penalty that shouldn’t have been given. Prior to that they’d lost six in row. Oli McBurnie got sent off in their last game so will be suspended. And the BBC are reporting today that Paul Heckingbottom is due to be sacked. Whether that makes a huge difference or not I’m not sure. They won’t have a new manager in charge so are probably going to play in a similar manner to how they have been so tactically it’s unlikely to be anything different to what we would have been expecting. It may put a bit of a spring in the step of the fans and players so that I suspect we’ll have to be wary of that more than anything else.

We’re thankfully top of our Europa League group so don’t have to worry too much about that but do have Crystal Palace at 12.30pm on Saturday (again) so I expect we’ll make a few changes from the Fulham game, although injuries are starting to pile up now. I make that Alisson, Robertson and Jota all out for this one, now joined by Matip after Sunday. Thiago and Bajcetic are still out too. It probably means that we may not see many changes from Sunday and with games every 3/4 days, it's not ideal going into a busy period. But from memory Klopp usually does ok in these early December midweek games so here’s hoping for that to continue.

Prediction: 3-0 to the tricky reds in that garish green and white kit.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Sheffield United vs Liverpool Pre match thread
« Reply #1 on: December 4, 2023, 06:53:21 pm »
Nice one, Hazell.  :thumbup

Games coming thick and fast now, really curious over how many changes he makes for the next team. Surely Curtis and Harvey will come into play and I hope Gakpo gets a start this time.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: December 4, 2023, 06:57:20 pm »
Clive Tyldesley commentating on this on Amazon.

Hurrah.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3 on: December 4, 2023, 07:09:52 pm »
Hurrah! One of our matches is live at last!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #4 on: December 4, 2023, 07:19:05 pm »
Sheffield United vs Liverpool

Bramall Lane
Wednesday 6 December 2023

Officials:
Referee: Simon Hooper. Assistants: Simon Long, Captain Mainwaring. Fourth official: Tony Harrington. VAR: Michael Oliver. Assistant VAR: Richard West.

;D

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 4, 2023, 07:23:12 pm »
This is it, the ultimate footballing test -  a cold Wednesday night at Bramall Lane
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 4, 2023, 07:24:38 pm »
I'd take any win, preferably a comfortable one.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7 on: December 4, 2023, 07:25:09 pm »
Clive Tyldesley commentating on this on Amazon.

Hurrah.

Hurrah, indeed.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: December 4, 2023, 07:33:49 pm »
This is it, the ultimate footballing test -  a cold Wednesday night at Bramall Lane

With Simon Hooper as ref.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 4, 2023, 07:34:12 pm »
Have to win.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 4, 2023, 07:37:19 pm »
Just sacked their manager.

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #11 on: December 4, 2023, 07:52:19 pm »
Don’t panic don’t panic!!! Luv it.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #12 on: December 4, 2023, 07:54:37 pm »
While I'd love to look at this and think "easy three points", I just can't see it.  They shouldn't be able to compete with us, but with our track record on the road, cold mid-week match, new manager bump...   A lot seems to be going against us.  All we have is more talent. 

2-3 in a nailbiter. 

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13 on: December 4, 2023, 07:57:35 pm »
Into these greasy chip butty consuming twats. No mercy. Score early. Score again. Have a think. Kill it off early in the second half.

The alternative is a horrible slog which is always a possibility with us away from home. Would be nice to have one of those hammerings we do sometimes dish out though. But, as Joseph once said, any win will do.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #14 on: December 4, 2023, 07:59:11 pm »
Win win win is all we need. Be nice if it is a comfortable win. We definitely do not want to give them any hope.

We need clinicalness or clinicalicity or clinicalality or clinicism or clinicalatiuousness.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Online Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 4, 2023, 08:18:00 pm »
With Simon Hooper as ref.

Expect anything!

Online Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 4, 2023, 08:20:12 pm »

The timing is a bit annoying but it shouldn't matter who they have in the dug-out

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #17 on: December 4, 2023, 08:21:30 pm »
The timing is a bit annoying but it shouldn't matter who they have in the dug-out

Are they still called dug-outs?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 4, 2023, 08:30:31 pm »
Think we'll definitely see some changes for this one. One day less recovery than Sheffield United, a difficult game on Sunday that had us fighting until the end, and a trip to Palace on Saturday. Konate, Jones, and Gakpo should be dead certs to start. Gomez, Endo, and Elliott are the other 3 Klopp might be considering.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #19 on: December 4, 2023, 08:34:16 pm »
Good OP.

One note, Brewster won the U17 World Cup, not the U21s.

These are crap, but we’ve been beaten by crap before when we don’t play with enough intensity. Get into them from the first whistle and show our quality, and it will be a comfortable night. Any less than that and any side at this level can cause trouble.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2023, 08:37:53 pm by mikey_LFC »
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 4, 2023, 09:08:18 pm »
They haven’t sacked their manager yet….hopefully no new manager until after our game.

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 4, 2023, 09:24:33 pm »
ffs Hooper AND Oliver?!  again!!

christsakes. the PTSD is still healing from that Spurs debacle.

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 4, 2023, 09:25:49 pm »
not yet, but any minute now by the looks.

Online SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 4, 2023, 09:26:28 pm »
While I'd love to look at this and think "easy three points", I just can't see it.  They shouldn't be able to compete with us, but with our track record on the road, cold mid-week match, new manager bump...   A lot seems to be going against us.  All we have is more talent. 

2-3 in a nailbiter.

yeah I remember "3 points in the bag" Luton as well.

Online SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 4, 2023, 09:28:30 pm »
I expect Jurgen will be in no mood to ease up on the gas in any PL game, regardless of who we play. 

for this I'd like to see Endo + Jones+ MacA in midfield.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 4, 2023, 09:29:02 pm »
not yet, but any minute now by the looks.
Waiting until they can announce Wilder then.

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 4, 2023, 09:29:25 pm »
Wilder looks set to take over, but even if he did start tomorrow, hard to see much of a new manager bounce (famous last words) as he won't have even had any time on the training ground.

Online SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 4, 2023, 09:30:04 pm »
Waiting until they can announce Wilder then.
looks that way.  negotiating Wilder's comp probably.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 4, 2023, 09:36:20 pm »

;D

One for the kids :P

Good OP.

One note, Brewster won the U17 World Cup, not the U21s.

These are crap, but we’ve been beaten by crap before when we don’t play with enough intensity. Get into them from the first whistle and show our quality, and it will be a comfortable night. Any less than that and any side at this level can cause trouble.

Thanks, I knew it was under 17's, no idea why I wrote under 21's ;D

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 4, 2023, 09:38:47 pm »
Going to be hard and horrible. Not exactly brimming with confidence in our defence after Fulham. Hope we get a bit of luck, but it’s going to be a hard one.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #30 on: December 4, 2023, 09:43:09 pm »
Managers going back always feels like the law of diminishing returns. Didn’t Howard Kendall get progressively shitter at Everton?

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 4, 2023, 09:53:31 pm »
Managers going back always feels like the law of diminishing returns. Didn’t Howard Kendall get progressively shitter at Everton?

Imagine if it's Colin Wanker in the dugout on Wednesday?

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 4, 2023, 09:54:48 pm »
The right attitude.  Yes the right attitude.

We have started most away games with the wrong attitude. Slow, lethargic, unadventurous and predictable.  Time to change all that and get into them from the start.  If we have the right approach we win comfortably. Piss around and anything can happen.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 4, 2023, 10:12:07 pm »
Can't imagine any new manager taking charge for Wednesday.

As they said on the Football Ramble, anyone they approach you'd imagine will be conveniently busy until Thursday morning.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 4, 2023, 10:19:26 pm »
Can't imagine any new manager taking charge for Wednesday.

As they said on the Football Ramble, anyone they approach you'd imagine will be conveniently busy until Thursday morning.

good point.  if they're gonna get rid of the current guy, let him carry the weight of the game then pull the trigger.  Wilder e.g. would be smart to insist on it.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #35 on: December 4, 2023, 10:23:27 pm »
Will Stuart McCall and his hairdo that makes him look like an extra from The Full Monty be in charge for this one?

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 4, 2023, 10:32:01 pm »
Play like we did against Fulham/Luton and this will be another Luton result 0-0 / 1-1.

We need to stop getting done on the counter.

Too many players want to be the hero in our team and forget about defensive responsibilities.  It speaks to our youthfulness.

In saying that I don't think Klopp or the team will allow that with both games at the forefront of our mind.

Comfortable and professional is how I see it going.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 4, 2023, 10:35:15 pm »
Cheers Hazell.

Right, Nuñez needs a number 4. His stylist needs another career.

Win the battle and we win the match.

I'll take any victory and no injuries please.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #38 on: December 4, 2023, 10:36:52 pm »
Cheers Hazell.

Right, Nuñez needs a number 4. His stylist needs another career.

Win the battle and we win the match.

I'll take any victory and no injuries please.
I think he just needs a goal more than anything :)
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 4, 2023, 10:41:43 pm »
Play like we did against Fulham/Luton and this will be another Luton result 0-0 / 1-1.

We need to stop getting done on the counter.

Too many players want to be the hero in our team and forget about defensive responsibilities.  It speaks to our youthfulness.

In saying that I don't think Klopp or the team will allow that with both games at the forefront of our mind.

Comfortable and professional is how I see it going.
Endo to start imo.