Author Topic: RIP Bobby Charlton, A football legend.  (Read 8996 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RIP Bobby Charlton, A football legend.
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2023, 09:18:40 am »
A true legend.
Rest in peace.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2023, 11:43:34 am »
Watched this very moving tribute to him last night.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/waaM9QNA6ag" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/waaM9QNA6ag</a>

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2023, 02:09:06 pm »
RIP. pheomenal goalscoring record in International football. 49 goals in 106 games.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2023, 02:38:25 pm »
rest in peace

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2023, 02:46:46 pm »
I remember watching England games from that era on espn classics. My generation and later generations have a sort dismissive attitude toward players of that era. I suggest to anyone who feels the modern players are vastly superior to go and watch the likes of Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore. They were quality. They would be superstars today

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2023, 03:01:58 pm »
Very sad news. And yes, this country's greatest ever player.

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2023, 03:23:15 pm »
Strange how one family produced 2 polar opposites, one a silky footballing genius, the other a tough no nonsense defender who broke up play, hopefully they are up there enjoying cancelling each other out as I imagine they did as kids
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2023, 04:00:47 pm »
RIP. pheomenal goalscoring record in International football. 49 goals in 106 games.

And no pointless stat padding friendlies against farmers teams.
Even Home internationals were serious games back then.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2023, 04:02:16 pm »
The very best players just make it seem so easy don't they. It looked effortless when watching on our little 'black n white' tellies.

World Cup 66 was my introduction to football really. Kicking a ball about in the back lane (not a million miles from Ashington) we all wanted to be Bobby Charlton. Except the kid who went in goal and he was always Lev Yashin. Happy days.

Thanks for the memories. RIP 'Wor' Bobby.

Offline Beneath

• Anny Roader
  • Believe
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2023, 04:50:58 pm »
Rest in peace.
I saw the devil in his eyes, and I shit me undercrackers

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2023, 11:36:11 pm »
You can’t tell me heading those waterlogged leather footballs didn’t contribute to him suffering in the end.
yes I can't because it's true

My uncle played for hull and Bournemouth. Born 1928 I think. We were walking home one night after a Liverpool game, the one we won 1-0 at arsenal and mcmanaman scored an absolute belter

Uncle walking home that night said in his day the balls were like leather. In the rain he said it felt like they weighed a stone. Said he still suffered from headaches because of it.

Ended up with dementia. It was awful to see.

Bobby and jack remind me of him and my Dad. My Dad is still alive, got to league of Ireland level but at 86 has dementia now too

If that disease was a person I'd happily do time for assault
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2023, 04:37:53 pm »
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/144504-charlton-recalls-shankly-home-visits

"when the World Cup was over, the Brazilians had stopped at a hotel just round the corner from where I live. I don't know why, but Bill Shankly must have thought to use the hotel. He did and somebody must have told him that Bobby Charlton lived just round the corner from the hotel. One morning, my mother-in-law - who lived with us - knocked on the bedroom door. She said: 'Bob, you have to get up - there's an intruder. He keeps looking in the window.' When I looked out, it was Bill Shankly. It was a Saturday; they were going to play at City, we were going to play at Everton. I said to Norma: 'You better get up, Bill Shankly is at the door'.

She got up, went down and we had a cup of tea. We listened - because you always had to listen to Bill Shankly - and it was just such an event. He must have enjoyed it as well because Norma isn't what you would call a football sage - she likes the game - but she listened carefully to him. He then started to come to our house on a regular basis. If I was away, he would have somebody to talk to. Norma would have thought the world of him, and I thought the world of him as well."

I heard Bobby talking about Bill's crack-of-dawn visit on the radio. He said that Bill was so excited at the prospect of the football due to be played that day and that, even though they'd had a rude awakening, they'd enjoyed the cuppa and a chat.   :)

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2023, 05:06:28 pm »

My uncle played for hull and Bournemouth. Born 1928 I think. We were walking home one night after a Liverpool game, the one we won 1-0 at arsenal and mcmanaman scored an absolute belter

Uncle walking home that night said in his day the balls were like leather. In the rain he said it felt like they weighed a stone. Said he still suffered from headaches because of it.

Bobby and jack remind me of him and my Dad. My Dad is still alive, got to league of Ireland level but at 86 has dementia now too

It was like heading a bag of rocks
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2023, 05:27:44 pm »
What a great player he was. I was at Anfield in 1969 with my dad when United beat us 4-1 & Bobby Charlton scored an absolute screamer. It wouldn't happen today, but there was applause from all quarters of the ground that day.

RIP Bobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epVVtlrB-Js

Charlton heavily involved in all 5 goals that day
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 05:35:52 pm by Oldmanmick »

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2023, 07:27:50 pm »

Sorry to hear that mate.
I went to school in the 60/70s and we never got to play with the nice school “match balls”. We used the old ones with a texture like suede. I can vouch for the way they soaked up water. They hit you you knew about it. Especially on a cold day. Like rocks.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Red46

• Main Stander
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2023, 09:40:25 pm »
Genuine great of the game, thunderbolt strike in either foot, total control of the ball on pitches farmers wouldn’t even plant spuds in today they were so bad, game intelligence off the charts and a deceptive change of pace for a little bald fella. Made the game look easy. RIP.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2023, 10:01:32 pm »
Great tribute to him tonight on BBC North West Tonight with some great stories from ordinary people who had met him, he came across as a really genuine and humble bloke. What a player he was, I think in his day he was probably one of the most intimidating players for his opponents to face not so much as an enforcer but due to his pace, strength and ability to beat a man with quick feet and skill and a shot like a cannon. I think the BBC have a further tribute to him tonight at 22:40:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0f81tnm/sir-bobby-charlton-the-first-gentleman-of-football
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2023, 03:45:31 pm »
One of the strange things about getting older is that the number of people who share the same cultural references diminishes as time rolls on, quite often I hear of people famous in the 1930s who have died and that helps me imagine how younger people feel when someone I am aware of (but younger people are not) dies.
It is difficult to overstate how the name Bobby Charlton resonated across the whole of football when I was younger and he was probably the bridge between the football that existed in black and white (and that’s not just in terms of colour) and what we see as now as modern football. The 60’s changed so much in British Culture and it almost feels like it lit up in many ways a world that was still connected to the Victorian world.
When you see Busby’s babes in the 50s and see how that shifted to George Best and his ilk, someone who would not be that out of place today, you can see that starkly. In terms of how the game was played, how footballers lifestyles changed and how supporters behaved. From celebrating goals with a handshake to cynical tactics and cheating (imported from Europe and South America), from players going on the bus to the match and living in suburban semis to out on the town and ‘glamour’, from wooden rattles and wearing a suit to the match, to crowd trouble and unfriendly rivalry, everything changed.
Bobby Charlton strode across that gap, he strode across from Munich to Wembley Glory (twice), he strode across from Duncan Edwards to George Best and from Matt Busby and the gentleman managers (Mercer/Nicholson/Mee/Stein) to Tommy Docherty and a new way of managing (Clough/Allison).
Before Charlton, clubs and players were often friends not deadly rivals and could be seen to be so, Busby was Paisley’s best mate and Busby captained Liverpool, no terrace rivalry of the type we’ve seen since the 70s. He was not the reason for that but was the epitome of what that looked like and he carried that on through his life until this week. Because of his shot, regardless of who you supported, kids smashed the ball towards goal while shouting “AND CHARLTON SCORES FROM NOWHERE”.
He’s probably the last link to that world, at least in terms of profile and, I think, because of his experience in Munich (an event that should never be forgotten or treated lightly), he had aged before his time such that he carried over more maturity than any other 22 year old would normally do. He always carried himself with great dignity, whilst sometimes inhabiting waters in which the others around him singularly failed to do and in that respect (whatever you think of our outdated feudal monarchy) it feels the same way the queen was viewed relative to her family. With Pele dying last year I think the living connection to the 1950s is gone now whilst the connection to the 60s feels different even though it lives on. The most iconic name in British Football and probably always will be. We probably started missing Bobby Charlton in 1974 without knowing it and I think football as a whole is poorer for the likes of him not being around.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2023, 04:51:22 pm »
Hopefully they give him a good ovation tonight.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2023, 08:21:01 pm »

'Man Utd with a touching pre-match tribute for Sir Bobby Charlton at Old Trafford ❤️ #UCL' - https://twitter.com/footballontnt/status/1716894495940264299 (2 minute video)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 08:23:18 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2023, 08:22:12 pm »

They never felt like rocks to me, more like heading an actual medicine ball from the gym. just a very heavy solid object

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2023, 11:13:12 pm »
Fantastic video posted a year ago.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IwnQZ4um0UA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IwnQZ4um0UA</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2023, 08:14:05 am »
They never felt like rocks to me, more like heading an actual medicine ball from the gym. just a very heavy solid object
He didnt mean it literally but certainly we can all agree it was more than a bit unpleasant

Certainly a lot worse than today.

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2023, 04:52:10 pm »
RIP Sir Bobby. A gentleman and football legend.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2023, 12:14:31 am »
It’s not a big deal, but I’m slightly disappointed that its not a minutes silence on Sunday. Never been a big fan of the minutes applause, but feels like this is one where a silence would be more appropriate and I’m fairly confident would be respected immaculately
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2023, 08:24:32 pm »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2023, 08:30:10 pm »

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2023, 09:58:00 pm »
It’s not a big deal, but I’m slightly disappointed that its not a minutes silence on Sunday. Never been a big fan of the minutes applause, but feels like this is one where a silence would be more appropriate and I’m fairly confident would be respected immaculately

From the city end? I mean seriously

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2023, 10:21:18 pm »
From the city end? I mean seriously
I was talking about at our game with Forest.
Can’t recall as it’s not there now but think I was responding to a post before me that had given details of what would happen at Anfield.

Assumed there would be a minutes silence for him in general, but it seems a minutes applause is the way they are going now.
Can’t imagine any group of fans inc City would have had a problem respecting it
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 10:24:40 pm by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2023, 07:49:12 am »
I was talking about at our game with Forest.
Can’t recall as it’s not there now but think I was responding to a post before me that had given details of what would happen at Anfield.

Assumed there would be a minutes silence for him in general, but it seems a minutes applause is the way they are going now.
Can’t imagine any group of fans inc City would have had a problem respecting it

I'd hope at our game it would be respected. I've never been a fan of the minutes applause. Feels like it's commonplace when it's expected one set of fans can't respect it.

There's no way it would have been respected at Old Trafford.

How did united fans react when haaland scored "Keano, Keano, Keano" there's no respect between those sets of fans.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2023, 12:34:26 pm »

Brilliant read Black Bull. (That's the second time in about a week I've sent my compliments!) You touch on exactly what it was for fellas of our generation to have grown up when we did and how the "black and white" sixties grew into the colour show of the seventies and eighties. Life styles changed, expectations changed and simple became more sophisticated and more complicated.
I too remember shouting my own back-yard commentary  at the top of my voice to all my Liverpudlian and Evertonian mates,  " what a screamer from Charlton!"
We identified with him like kids today identify with your Messis and Ronaldos. And we were all scousers with not a Man Utd supporter amongst us.
Times change!

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2023, 12:36:07 pm »
[quoteOne of the strange things about getting older is that the number of people who share the same cultural references diminishes as time rolls on, quite often I hear of people famous in the 1930s who have died and that helps me imagine how younger people feel when someone I am aware of (but younger people are not) dies.
It is difficult to overstate how the name Bobby Charlton resonated across the whole of football when I was younger and he was probably the bridge between the football that existed in black and white (and that’s not just in terms of colour) and what we see as now as modern football. The 60’s changed so much in British Culture and it almost feels like it lit up in many ways a world that was still connected to the Victorian world.
When you see Busby’s babes in the 50s and see how that shifted to George Best and his ilk, someone who would not be that out of place today, you can see that starkly. In terms of how the game was played, how footballers lifestyles changed and how supporters behaved. From celebrating goals with a handshake to cynical tactics and cheating (imported from Europe and South America), from players going on the bus to the match and living in suburban semis to out on the town and ‘glamour’, from wooden rattles and wearing a suit to the match, to crowd trouble and unfriendly rivalry, everything changed.
Bobby Charlton strode across that gap, he strode across from Munich to Wembley Glory (twice), he strode across from Duncan Edwards to George Best and from Matt Busby and the gentleman managers (Mercer/Nicholson/Mee/Stein) to Tommy Docherty and a new way of managing (Clough/Allison).
Before Charlton, clubs and players were often friends not deadly rivals and could be seen to be so, Busby was Paisley’s best mate and Busby captained Liverpool, no terrace rivalry of the type we’ve seen since the 70s. He was not the reason for that but was the epitome of what that looked like and he carried that on through his life until this week. Because of his shot, regardless of who you supported, kids smashed the ball towards goal while shouting “AND CHARLTON SCORES FROM NOWHERE”.
He’s probably the last link to that world, at least in terms of profile and, I think, because of his experience in Munich (an event that should never be forgotten or treated lightly), he had aged before his time such that he carried over more maturity than any other 22 year old would normally do. He always carried himself with great dignity, whilst sometimes inhabiting waters in which the others around him singularly failed to do and in that respect (whatever you think of our outdated feudal monarchy) it feels the same way the queen was viewed relative to her family. With Pele dying last year I think the living connection to the 1950s is gone now whilst the connection to the 60s feels different even though it lives on. The most iconic name in British Football and probably always will be. We probably started missing Bobby Charlton in 1974 without knowing it and I think football as a whole is poorer for the likes of him not being around.
][/quote]

Sorry . Meant to quote the whole post  from Black Bull. Don't know how to use the quotes!! Showing my age.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2023, 01:59:55 pm »

Brilliant read Black Bull. (That's the second time in about a week I've sent my compliments!) You touch on exactly what it was for fellas of our generation to have grown up when we did and how the "black and white" sixties grew into the colour show of the seventies and eighties. Life styles changed, expectations changed and simple became more sophisticated and more complicated.
I too remember shouting my own back-yard commentary  at the top of my voice to all my Liverpudlian and Evertonian mates,  " what a screamer from Charlton!"
We identified with him like kids today identify with your Messis and Ronaldos. And we were all scousers with not a Man Utd supporter amongst us.
Times change!

Thanks, indeed the times change, sometimes for the better, sometimes not. It's only when people like Charlton pass that you stop and take stock as he accumulated so much of what was good in the past in his life and reeling it off is quite nostalgic given the distance that has grown between us and the past now.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Offline bhodkey

• Boys Pen
Honest Question - Sir Bobby Charlton
« Reply #114 on: November 5, 2023, 03:41:16 pm »
Hello All,

I am a Yank who loves English football and I have a very honest question for Liverpool supporters...

I am well-aware that Liverpool and Man United are bitter rivals. However, the late, great Sir Bobby Charlton (RIP) was an English footballing legend.

When he was alive, if he were to walk into Anfield, would he be booed and jeered as a former Red Devil, or respected, cheered, and treated reverently for his many amazing contributions to the England National Team?

Thank You

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Honest Question - Sir Bobby Charlton
« Reply #115 on: November 5, 2023, 03:46:26 pm »
People would crack jokes at him taking the piss I reckon. But I cannot imagine anyone doing anything other than humorous  banter.

What reason would there be to boo or jeer him, you don’t get that simply for playing for Manchester United.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 5, 2023, 03:52:03 pm »
Hello All,

I am a Yank who loves English football and I have a very honest question for Liverpool supporters...

I am well-aware that Liverpool and Man United are bitter rivals. However, the late, great Sir Bobby Charlton (RIP) was an English footballing legend.

When he was alive, if he were to walk into Anfield, would he be booed and jeered as a former Red Devil, or respected, cheered, and treated reverently for his many amazing contributions to the England National Team?

Thank You
Read here.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=355027.0
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline bhodkey

• Boys Pen
« Reply #117 on: November 5, 2023, 04:10:26 pm »
Thank you. Looking at some of the posts when he passed it is obvious that Liverpool supporters respected Sir Bobby

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: November 5, 2023, 04:14:19 pm »
Definitely respect.

Offline lfcthekop

• knows how to inbed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 5, 2023, 04:17:15 pm »
For a united player to get a round of applause from an anfield crowd, he must of been special.

Taken from the thread linked above

What a great player he was. I was at Anfield in 1969 with my dad when United beat us 4-1 & Bobby Charlton scored an absolute screamer. It wouldn't happen today, but there was applause from all quarters of the ground that day.

RIP Bobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epVVtlrB-Js
« Last Edit: November 5, 2023, 04:19:55 pm by lfcthekop »