Author Topic: UK General Election - CLACTON  (Read 129744 times)

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: UK General Election - July 4th, here we go folks.
« Reply #1880 on: May 23, 2024, 12:24:04 am »
Me neither

Its a discussion forum, I expressed a view.  You can react to that in different ways, challenge them, ignore them, agree with them or put me on ignore.

I am sure you want the tories out as much as anyone.and it’s not personal to you. My worry is we will need every possible vote and it will be a lot closer than people think.

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #1881 on: May 23, 2024, 12:30:04 am »

I will always love Lorraine Kelly for cutting McVey dead live on TV. Legend.

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #1882 on: May 23, 2024, 12:55:52 am »
Can't say I like Starmer and the current Labour Party that much, but thank God we can get these Tories out. Saw a poll with absurdly low Tory seats a few weeks ago but I think they'll pull in a fair few votes by the time all is said and done, should still see them binned off easily though.

4th July is going to be a hell of a fun election date for us expats in the US too.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1883 on: May 23, 2024, 01:31:15 am »
Can't say I like Starmer and the current Labour Party that much, but thank God we can get these Tories out. Saw a poll with absurdly low Tory seats a few weeks ago but I think they'll pull in a fair few votes by the time all is said and done, should still see them binned off easily though.

4th July is going to be a hell of a fun election date for us expats in the US too.
I think they will try and blind voters with stats to cloud the debates, I hope Labour never allow voters to forget the damage they have done to our country, the list is long, all run into the ground, they've done this by choice over the last 14 yrs.
@David__Osland
Leaving the European Union has completely destroyed the Conservative Party. If that doesn't qualify as a concrete Brexit benefit, what does?

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1884 on: May 23, 2024, 01:58:41 am »
I mean the fact that the rivers are now so full of shit that water is unsafe to drink in parts of the country should be enough to ensure that no Tory MP is ever elected again. And that’s just one of their many crimes.

People can say Red Tories all they like but I remember the last Labour government and nobody was letting privatised water companies dump sewage in the rivers
Thank you Jurgen

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1885 on: May 23, 2024, 02:20:36 am »
Be eager to see YouGov's next MRP poll, the predicted seats from March polling:

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49061-yougov-mrp-labour-now-projected-to-win-over-400-seats

They were the only ones to get near the actual result in 2017 and were on the money in 2019:

Predicted:
Con 43% (359 Seats)
Lab 32% (211 Seats)
LD 14% (13 Seats)

Actual:
Con 43.6% (365 Seats)
Lab 31.1% (202 Seats)
LD 11.6% (11 Seats)

Interestingly, after me shitting on the idea of Southend going Labour in this thread the MRP poll is predicting it. ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 02:22:48 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1886 on: May 23, 2024, 05:33:05 am »
Be eager to see YouGov's next MRP poll, the predicted seats from March polling:

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49061-yougov-mrp-labour-now-projected-to-win-over-400-seats

They were the only ones to get near the actual result in 2017 and were on the money in 2019:

Predicted:
Con 43% (359 Seats)
Lab 32% (211 Seats)
LD 14% (13 Seats)

Actual:
Con 43.6% (365 Seats)
Lab 31.1% (202 Seats)
LD 11.6% (11 Seats)

Interestingly, after me shitting on the idea of Southend going Labour in this thread the MRP poll is predicting it. ;D

I think the problem for the Tories is every seat will have some kind of voting demographic that they’ve pissed off. Means a lot of seats that were previously off limits can become battlegrounds without Labour even really needing to offer much to win them over. Let’s be honest, Labour aren’t proposing revolutionary solutions to most problems, we just want people who won’t be evil and fuck things up.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1887 on: May 23, 2024, 06:59:06 am »
Phil
@Philmoorhouse76
"It can still be aborted." No it can't. Replacing him as leader doesn't stop him being Prime Minister. They'd need a majority of parliament (not just Conservative MPs) to do that. Whoever is behind this has no clue how elections, governments or even parliament works.
Politics UK
@PolitlcsUK
·
1h
Replying to @PolitlcsUK
Follow for the very latest political news!

Tory MP: "Today has clearly been an absolute disaster but the election is NOT irrevocable; up until the point of the Dissolution of Parliament - when the writs are moved to begin the contests, it can still be aborted."
Show more

https://x.com/Philmoorhouse76/status/1793389230921503124
I want an election, we desperately need one.  But I also want to see this happen, because it might actually see the, end up with under 100 MPs

I mean, I’ve woken up this morning, and yesterday really happened. He really fucked up that badly.

I think it’s the worst thing I’ve seen since Rudolph Guliani accidentally hired a garden centre rather than a hotel.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1888 on: May 23, 2024, 07:19:06 am »
Phil
@Philmoorhouse76
"It can still be aborted." No it can't. Replacing him as leader doesn't stop him being Prime Minister. They'd need a majority of parliament (not just Conservative MPs) to do that. Whoever is behind this has no clue how elections, governments or even parliament works.
Politics UK
@PolitlcsUK
·
1h
Replying to @PolitlcsUK
Follow for the very latest political news!

Tory MP: "Today has clearly been an absolute disaster but the election is NOT irrevocable; up until the point of the Dissolution of Parliament - when the writs are moved to begin the contests, it can still be aborted."
Show more

https://x.com/Philmoorhouse76/status/1793389230921503124

The Tory’s have been diluting their gene pool for some time, full of absolutely morons these days like seagullis.

Time to get them all out forever.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1889 on: May 23, 2024, 07:48:13 am »
nobody forced him to take the job on.

His father in law says "hi"

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1890 on: May 23, 2024, 07:52:26 am »
I think Sunak is sick of the shit show and want to fuck off out of parliament and into something much more lucrative. He's a self entitled little prick that can't take any responsibility for the last 14 years of fucking up the country.

£120 million in a year thanks to all the public contracts he gave to his wife is pretty lucrative

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #1891 on: May 23, 2024, 08:04:41 am »
Useful analysis by Dylan Dyford
'Poll swing (Con/Lab) over a campaign has never exceeded 5pts in either direction and averages at just 1.7pts. The Tories need a swing from current polls of around 12pts to remain in power.
Obviously you can never rule anything out, not with today's more volatile electorate, but the announcement to final poll swing in the famously seismic 2017 campaign was just 3.8pts. Sunak needs more than thrice that to remain as PM'

x.com/Dylan_Difford/status/1793259034075676990

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1892 on: May 23, 2024, 08:05:36 am »
Leave request for the 5th July just gone in, let’s fucking do this!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #1893 on: May 23, 2024, 08:12:54 am »
As someone living in Germany, it feels like UK has been having elections every year for a long long time.

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1894 on: May 23, 2024, 08:20:29 am »
As someone living in Germany, it feels like UK has been having elections every year for a long long time.

Last one was December 2019, which feels about 45 years ago.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1895 on: May 23, 2024, 08:22:10 am »
I want an election, we desperately need one.  But I also want to see this happen, because it might actually see the, end up with under 100 MPs

I mean, I’ve woken up this morning, and yesterday really happened. He really fucked up that badly.

I think it’s the worst thing I’ve seen since Rudolph Guliani accidentally hired a garden centre rather than a hotel.

At least Rishi’s hair is it’s natural colour and he didn’t have a rivulet of dye running down his face. ;D

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #1896 on: May 23, 2024, 08:22:45 am »
I mean including the intermediate ones where Conservatives picked their leaders. That felt like an election from the outside.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1897 on: May 23, 2024, 08:24:11 am »
Its a discussion forum, I expressed a view.  You can react to that in different ways, challenge them, ignore them, agree with them or put me on ignore.
Instead of being on the childish offensive why don't you spend your time promoting the policies of the party you're going to vote for?
There's a chance some will be interested.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1898 on: May 23, 2024, 08:28:36 am »

Me too, think I probably got in first as I put the request in before Sunak popped his head out into the downpour to make it official, but as someone else onthe team is on a full week off already it still might not get approved.

Be a pain if not as I'm not even WFH that day either.

I mean including the intermediate ones where Conservatives picked their leaders. That felt like an election from the outside.

Yeah, that's what I'd thought you meant. From the outside I suppose having a new PM announced, even as an internal party matter, might feel the same as a full election campaign going on.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #1899 on: May 23, 2024, 08:28:42 am »
Useful analysis by Dylan Dyford
'Poll swing (Con/Lab) over a campaign has never exceeded 5pts in either direction and averages at just 1.7pts. The Tories need a swing from current polls of around 12pts to remain in power.
Obviously you can never rule anything out, not with today's more volatile electorate, but the announcement to final poll swing in the famously seismic 2017 campaign was just 3.8pts. Sunak needs more than thrice that to remain as PM'

x.com/Dylan_Difford/status/1793259034075676990

Strange, always thought the 2017 campaign swing was far higher. The conventional wisdom/memory of that was that May went from expecting a landslide win to a hung parliament.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1900 on: May 23, 2024, 08:30:05 am »

The whole Tory leadership finagle is a bit like the Everton and Chelsea managerial roundabout - the unspeakable replacing the unmentionable - in an endless möbius loop.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1901 on: May 23, 2024, 08:39:22 am »

Sunak on Radio 4 trying to gaslight the public. He even fell back on the memo Liam Byrne left in 2010. Starmer and Labour need to be across the airwaves crushing them. Sunak has failed to meet 4 of his pitiful 5 pledges and reducing inflation by putting the country into a recession is a bit like changing the carpets by burning the house down.

Interesting that the Tory attack line is not that Labour’s policies are wrong or cost too much but that Starmer has changed his mind on policies. Such an easy line to counter - the Tories have bankrupted the country so there simply isn’t the money to do all the things we’d like such as the £28bn green fund. And is intractability better than changing your mind?

Of course most people won’t follow any of this but as a lover of elections I find the strategy fascinating.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #1902 on: May 23, 2024, 08:45:09 am »
Sunak leading a general election campaign was always going to be a shitshow.

But not in Labour's wildest dreams could the first 24 hours started like this. And there are still 8 hours left!

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #1903 on: May 23, 2024, 08:47:17 am »
Yeah, that's what I'd thought you meant. From the outside I suppose having a new PM announced, even as an internal party matter, might feel the same as a full election campaign going on.
Exactly. Because the articles always read "UK elects new PM" or "UK PM resigns". Its technically electing the conservative party leader but by extension, they automatically become the PM. So for the international audience, mentioning the "New PL Elected" is easier to understand (and news worthy) than "Conservatives elect a new leader".

But on a side note, Are the labour promising another referendum to rejoin the EU?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1904 on: May 23, 2024, 08:51:57 am »
Exactly. Because the articles always read "UK elects new PM" or "UK PM resigns". Its technically electing the conservative party leader but by extension, they automatically become the PM. So for the international audience, mentioning the "New PL Elected" is easier to understand (and news worthy) than "Conservatives elect a new leader".

But on a side note, Are the labour promising another referendum to rejoin the EU?

The answe to you question is ‘No’ but they were certainly have a less fractious relationship with the EU.

They have enough Tory shite to clean up without creating another storm.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1905 on: May 23, 2024, 08:54:11 am »

Absolutely not. They've been very vague over the EU, more understandable now given the distance to 2016, but Starmer has pretty much shut down any talk of even basic alignment, so to head off Tory attacks over rejoining.

With a stonking majority though, and with the apparent realities of what a 'closer' relationship might mean as a salve to the UK's economic woes, I wouldn't be surprised if some clever deals were made in specific areas. If the country feels like it's moving in the right direction, they should be able to weather the subsequent cries of "treachery" from the usual quarters.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #1906 on: May 23, 2024, 08:55:14 am »

I'd like to see it happen as well. It would completely finish them I think and genuinely don't think the party would survive it.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1907 on: May 23, 2024, 08:56:53 am »
I am sure you want the tories out as much as anyone.and it’s not personal to you. My worry is we will need every possible vote and it will be a lot closer than people think.

Of course I do

Mate this is by most standards an echo chamber, me not liking the top of the PLP wont be influencing anything. 

« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 08:58:35 am by Kenny's Jacket »
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1908 on: May 23, 2024, 08:58:21 am »
Is Gutu Hari Labour now  ;D
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #1909 on: May 23, 2024, 08:58:48 am »
Absolutely not. They've been very vague over the EU, more understandable now given the distance to 2016, but Starmer has pretty much shut down any talk of even basic alignment, so to head off Tory attacks over rejoining.

With a stonking majority though, and with the apparent realities of what a 'closer' relationship might mean as a salve to the UK's economic woes, I wouldn't be surprised if some clever deals were made in specific areas. If the country feels like it's moving in the right direction, they should be able to weather the subsequent cries of "treachery" from the usual quarters.

I'm hoping that their plan is to try and stack the electorate so that another referendum on it would definitely pass so things like giving 16 and 17 year olds the vote and ensuring that those with settled status from EU countries who couldn't vote last time can vote this time. EU citizens couldn't vote last time unless from Ireland, Malta or Cyprus so having these two demographics on board could swing it. Rejoining the EU is fraught with danger though as we'd almost certainly be made to join the Eurozone and I remember the uproar when that was introduced from the folk in this country who didn't want it to happen.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1910 on: May 23, 2024, 09:00:16 am »
Sunak says on Today no flights to Rwanda before the election. Then he says ‘The plan has worked, but hasn’t happened yet.’

It's amazing just how bad he is at the politics stuff.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1911 on: May 23, 2024, 09:04:09 am »
I look forward to spending the night with you - on here that is.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1912 on: May 23, 2024, 09:04:40 am »

I've seen ex-'Corbynites' urging others not to vote Labour. That they are the same as the Tories. That Labour being in will make no difference.

They don't seem to post things to discuss why things got so much worse when Thatcher was in, or how they got much better when Labour got back in, or why things, again, got so much worse when the Tories got back in.

In this way, their arguments seem similar to Flat-Earthers - any information or additional knowledge all easily slides into and re-inforces what they know.

Everything about the Tories is dropped in favour or everything negative that can be posted about Labour or Starmer and they are clearly influencing others who agree and like and re-post their information.

Wouldn't surprise me to find that an AI bot is generating content for targetted individuals and groups who are then gleefully re-posting and liking and sharing and discussing without even once wondering where the source of the information is from.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1913 on: May 23, 2024, 09:06:55 am »
Oh please let Sunak put himself forward for a TV debate...

The turkeys have voted for Christmas and it's fucking glorious

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1914 on: May 23, 2024, 09:07:33 am »
The whole Tory leadership finagle is a bit like the Everton and Chelsea managerial roundabout - the unspeakable replacing the unmentionable - in an endless möbius loop.
A Mobius Dickus loop.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1915 on: May 23, 2024, 09:08:44 am »
One annoyance is the election could have been held 28th June had Sunak called the election 24 hours earlier, you have to give minimum 25 working days notice & theirs 2 bank holidays in the next 2 weeks.
#Sausages

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1916 on: May 23, 2024, 09:09:52 am »
Have Labour given their opinion on the Rwanda scheme? That seems like a prime target for some scaremongering from the Tories. You can always rely on them to make immigrants an issue and you can always rely on the British public to be swayed by it.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1917 on: May 23, 2024, 09:12:21 am »
Have Labour given their opinion on the Rwanda scheme? That seems like a prime target for some scaremongering from the Tories. You can always rely on them to make immigrants an issue and you can always rely on the British public to be swayed by it.

The Tories have said that the flights will only go ahead after the election, so I think you are right.

Another public vote based on racism, bigotry and stupidity.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1918 on: May 23, 2024, 09:13:27 am »
I've seen ex-'Corbynites' urging others not to vote Labour. That they are the same as the Tories. That Labour being in will make no difference.

They don't seem to post things to discuss why things got so much worse when Thatcher was in, or how they got much better when Labour got back in, or why things, again, got so much worse when the Tories got back in.

In this way, their arguments seem similar to Flat-Earthers - any information or additional knowledge all easily slides into and re-inforces what they know.

Everything about the Tories is dropped in favour or everything negative that can be posted about Labour or Starmer and they are clearly influencing others who agree and like and re-post their information.

Wouldn't surprise me to find that an AI bot is generating content for targetted individuals and groups who are then gleefully re-posting and liking and sharing and discussing without even once wondering where the source of the information is from.

The malign actors bots and troll farms will certainly be working overtime now to stir dissent and shit - Unfortunately a man will believe what he wants to believe and disregard the rest. :D

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1919 on: May 23, 2024, 09:16:49 am »
Frottage wont be running or getting involved in Reform stating that the American election is far more important

It is actually pretty bad news as it wont split the tory vote as much as it would have with that c*nt involved