Author Topic: UK General Election - CLACTON  (Read 129129 times)

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: UK GE and Local Elections, plus polls, and policy.
« Reply #1120 on: May 4, 2024, 09:09:43 am »
Yeah voter percentages are irrelevant.

Labour seems to have lost a lot of votes in incredibly safe urban areas and gained votes where they need to win. Their vote has been unusually efficient.

Where the vote split has had a big impact (looks like it will in WM) it wouldn’t be enough to swing seats in an election. Unless anything changes its in the bag - which will be devastating no doubt to some in here.

Was the same with the Blair wins. Their vote went down in red wall places (at least after '97) but they still won in their traditional areas. They also won in a lot of middle England seats which gave them a big majority.]]

Scotland an overlooked factor as well. SNP have imploded since 2019 and independence is off the agenda for a while (at least over the next parliament). Labour should be looking to make gains there.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1121 on: May 4, 2024, 09:10:10 am »
And presumably, the Tories will lose more votes to Reform than Labour will to independents protesting Gaza.

I would imagine so, especially if the fighting in Gaza has ended by the time of the election, that would certainly help Labour (and the people in the region too obviously).
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #1122 on: May 4, 2024, 09:12:12 am »
LBC must be following this thread.  They are discussing the over promotion of Reform on tv, as opposed to the Greens.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #1123 on: May 4, 2024, 09:13:48 am »
Yeah Khan will win, its never in doubt.

I hope you're right,  but between Ulez, general voter apathy to Khan and perhaps a misunderstanding that you could protest vote Gaza, he could be in trouble here. The gerrymandering Tory changes to voting preferences are a massive issue. And if that was down to a large number of Gaza protest votes allowing Hall in, that would be the biggest self-inflicted harm for the capital since Boris, and likely would result in much, much worse results.

If she wins, the Tories will learn all the wrong lessons and I would easily predict a slew of Susan Hall-esque Trumpian, Marjorie Taylor-Green candidates running for them in the next few years. Look at the national shift in policy that happened immediately after the ULEZ issue and the Uxbridge by-election win - it completely transformed the Tory attitude to Net Zero.

This could have similar, very dark, repercussions.
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1124 on: May 4, 2024, 09:14:51 am »
LBC must be following this thread.  They are discussing the over promotion of Reform on tv, as opposed to the Greens.

They did the same with UKIP. BBC making a star of Frottage when he was unelected and UKIP had no MP's. They set the agenda in opposition over the coalition government and were given the platform to do so. Cameron then promised the referendum with disastrous consequences.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1125 on: May 4, 2024, 09:20:23 am »
I hope you're right,  but between Ulez, general voter apathy to Khan and perhaps a misunderstanding that you could protest vote Gaza, he could be in trouble here. The gerrymandering Tory changes to voting preferences are a massive issue. And if that was down to a large number of Gaza protest votes allowing Hall in, that would be the biggest self-inflicted harm for the capital since Boris, and likely would result in much, much worse results.

If she wins, the Tories will learn all the wrong lessons and I would easily predict a slew of Susan Hall-esque Trumpian, Marjorie Taylor-Green candidates running for them in the next few years. Look at the national shift in policy that happened immediately after the ULEZ issue and the Uxbridge by-election win - it completely transformed the Tory attitude to Net Zero.

This could have similar, very dark, repercussions.

Assuming they don't win, it was winnable for the Tories given other factors, as the 2012 one was for Labour if they'd put a better candidate up than Livingstone who'd already lost to Boris in the previous one. Despite them putting the wrong candidate and the media doing their worst, there still wasn't much in it.

The Tories needed to put up a stronger politician/personality.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1126 on: May 4, 2024, 10:15:35 am »
It's not just around elections. It's a problem in general, particularly on The BBC. The Greens hardly ever get a spot on Question Time or Any Questions and it's jaw dropping how often you see the wretched Kate Andrews on both when she's neither a politician nor an economist.
Having said that LBC run their own agendas as evidenced by the removal of the award and ratings winning journalist Sangita Myska from their station because she dared to fact check the propoganda of a foreign state spokesman  ::)

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1127 on: May 4, 2024, 10:18:04 am »

Right wing media v's left wing Greens..

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1128 on: May 4, 2024, 10:21:02 am »
I'm not totally shocked that some posters are attacking Thurnburg and other 'Green' groups.

Some of their views would fit well within Reform UK.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1129 on: May 4, 2024, 10:57:51 am »
Yeah Khan will win, its never in doubt.

I hope he does but never underestimate the stupidity of English gammon to hurt themselves if they think it might hurt brown people or "woke" more.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #1130 on: May 4, 2024, 11:15:01 am »
The Tory press salivating over Labour's NEV of 35% today and how that means they won't get a majority at the next election. Hopefully Sunak is tricked by this too and calls one ASAP.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #1131 on: May 4, 2024, 11:57:39 am »
All the mood music today seems to be that Khan will win anyway after yesterday's wobble, probably be closer than it should be, but if people don't bother voting that is what happens.

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1133 on: May 4, 2024, 12:29:45 pm »
Can get 50/1 on Hall now.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #1134 on: May 4, 2024, 12:30:18 pm »
https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1786718721945256347

Sounds like Khan should win comfortably enough, I suspect

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1135 on: May 4, 2024, 12:41:33 pm »
As expected.

Labour wins Liverpool City Region mayoral election

Steve Rotheram has comfortably won a third term, getting more than 70% of the vote cast.

The Green Party's Tom Crone finished second, followed by Liberal Democrat Robert Mcallister-Bell.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2024, 12:48:01 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Online Millie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #1136 on: May 4, 2024, 12:50:10 pm »
According to the BBC - the Tories were second in Liverpool.  Greens third, Lib Dems fourth, with independent fifth.

Rotherham was well ahead.

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1137 on: May 4, 2024, 12:53:08 pm »
Taken from BBC re London

There has been a swing to Sadiq Khan in the two areas which have declared.

In Merton and Wandsworth, there was a 5.1% swing to Labour from the Conservatives. In Greenwich and Lewisham, there was a 4.5% swing to Labour.

Remember; the Tories needed a swing to take this race. Labour are feeling confident - and these results show why.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1138 on: May 4, 2024, 12:53:14 pm »
According to the BBC - the Tories were second in Liverpool.  Greens third, Lib Dems fourth, with independent fifth.

Mine was from the sky news thread, either way Rotheram was always going to win by a landslide.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2024, 12:54:54 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1139 on: May 4, 2024, 12:56:15 pm »
Re the conversation above,

The BBC have published the figures so maybe they were 2nd

Labour - 183,932
Conservative - 27,708
Green - 26,417
Liberal Democrat - 21,366
Independent - 11,032
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1140 on: May 4, 2024, 12:59:00 pm »
Close then :lmao
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1141 on: May 4, 2024, 01:00:58 pm »
South Yorkshire results in full
As we've just heard, Labour's Oliver Coppard has comfortably been re-elected for a second term as mayor of South Yorkshire. Here's a full breakdown of the results:

Labour – 138,611
Conservatives – 44,945
Green – 37,142
Liberal Democrats – 31,002
SDP – 20,835
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1142 on: May 4, 2024, 01:02:12 pm »
Rotheram accuses Sunak of 'squatting' in Downing Street
Back over to Liverpool, where we've just heard from Mayor Steve Rotheram, who uses the first part of his victory speech to take aim at the government's new ID requirements at polling stations.

He says he understands the disappointment of people who were unable to vote in this election because of the "regressive" law.

Rotheram says Liverpool's voters have "hollered at the top of their voices" to tell the government "enough is enough", before setting out his hopes for more devolved powers under a Labour government.

He continues: "The road to Downing Street runs through transformative Labour administrations in local and regional government.

"With Labour in Westminster, we will get to see what real devolution is like, not the limited decentralisation we are seeing now."

He ends by accusing Prime Minister Rishi Sunak of "squatting in Downing Street" and tells him now is the time to call a general election.
#Sausages

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1143 on: May 4, 2024, 01:03:24 pm »
South Yorkshire results in full
As we've just heard, Labour's Oliver Coppard has comfortably been re-elected for a second term as mayor of South Yorkshire. Here's a full breakdown of the results:

Labour – 138,611
Conservatives – 44,945
Green – 37,142
Liberal Democrats – 31,002
SDP – 20,835

Werent they the party of Shirley Williams and Dr David Owen?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1144 on: May 4, 2024, 01:03:48 pm »
The London Mayoral election isn’t going to be close at all.

Al a load of nonsense. First ward shows a swing to labour
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1145 on: May 4, 2024, 01:08:05 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-68609732

Rotheram says Sunak is squatting in Downing Street

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1146 on: May 4, 2024, 01:09:09 pm »

Not often you hear that.

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1147 on: May 4, 2024, 01:10:34 pm »
London results so far has Khan on 168k and Hall on 86k (sky news)

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1148 on: May 4, 2024, 01:11:29 pm »
London results so far has Khan on 168k and Hall on 86k (sky news)

Excellent, a smashing in the capital and in to the GE.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #1149 on: May 4, 2024, 01:13:59 pm »
A lot more confident for Khan after the first few results. If Wandsworth and Greenwich are swinging to Labour it shouldn't be too much of an issue elsewhere

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1150 on: May 4, 2024, 01:18:31 pm »
A lot more confident for Khan after the first few results. If Wandsworth and Greenwich are swinging to Labour it shouldn't be too much of an issue elsewhere

Greenwich was won by Khan last time wasn’t it?
Thinking is overrated.

Online Millie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #1151 on: May 4, 2024, 01:18:59 pm »

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1152 on: May 4, 2024, 01:19:24 pm »
The London Mayoral election isn’t going to be close at all.

Al a load of nonsense. First ward shows a swing to labour

Is that in one of the outer boroughs affected by the ulez expansion, or one of the no go areas for non Muslims?

--edit-- last few words firmly tongue in cheek. Hopefully not overstepped the mark.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #1153 on: May 4, 2024, 01:23:27 pm »
Greenwich was won by Khan last time wasn’t it?

I'm not sure but I'd expect so. I'd juste expect both areas to have swung to the Tories a little and not to Labour that's all

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1154 on: May 4, 2024, 01:42:55 pm »
Close then :lmao

But it shows that there are 27,708 voting age people in the Merseyside region happily vote tory  :puke2

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1155 on: May 4, 2024, 01:44:38 pm »
West central won by Khan with another 5% swing to him

Overall swing now at nearly 6% across the 4 declared so far.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2024, 01:46:25 pm by west_london_red »
Thinking is overrated.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1156 on: May 4, 2024, 01:48:19 pm »
West central won by Khan with another 5% swing to him

Overall swing now at nearly 6% across the 4 declared so far.
The first time the Tories have failed to win West London in the mayoral election.  The polls were right! Who knew!?
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1157 on: May 4, 2024, 01:49:20 pm »
But it shows that there are 27,708 voting age people in the Merseyside region happily vote tory  :puke2

They were almost beaten by the Greens in truth.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1158 on: May 4, 2024, 01:51:43 pm »

There are 4,000 in the constituency (Walton) holding the 2 grounds 

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1159 on: May 4, 2024, 01:57:39 pm »

You've got to remember it covers Sefton and that has Hightown, Formby, Ainsdale and Southport in it, so you're going to find a load of dyed in the woll Tories in there who will vote Tory no matter what.

There are 4,000 in the constituency (Walton) holding the 2 grounds 

That I really struggle to understand. Then again, my dickhead Dad is from Walton (lives in the Swan now) and votes Tory
Jurgen YNWA