88 (21.5%)
Tottenham
0 (0%)
West Ham
2 (0.5%)
Wolves
31 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: The Race for Relegation 2023/24  (Read 3166 times)

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Race for Relegation 2023/24
« Reply #40 on: August 2, 2023, 12:19:52 pm »
Hard to see past Luton, Sheffield United, and Everton.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: August 2, 2023, 02:43:22 pm »
Remember last seaon when everyone said Bournemouth were dead certs to finish bottom and Forest had signed too many players so would definitely go down?

I wouldn’t totally write Luton and Sheffield United off.  Out of the two I think Luton have the better chance to stay up.  No one will like going there and they are a well coached team who have been cicling the play off places for a few seasons before they came up.

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #42 on: August 2, 2023, 03:45:34 pm »
I predict Luton, Sheffield United and Nottingham Forest to go down.

Seems like Everton will be destined to always be part of the 'been in the Premier League every season' club.
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #43 on: August 3, 2023, 12:24:01 pm »
Looks like Forest won't be paying their way out of trouble then

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: August 3, 2023, 12:26:53 pm »
Luton, Sheffield United, The Bloooos
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #45 on: August 4, 2023, 09:21:05 am »
Surprised there aren't more Wolves shouts here.
 They've lost basically everyone and replaced no one and it sounds like Lopetegui might walk.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #46 on: August 4, 2023, 11:35:19 am »
Forest?  Looked to me like they improved throughout last season, and with a settled side can do better.  Danilo/Gibbs-White/Brennan are good players.
The danger to them is the owner.

I think Luton will "do a Huddersfield"

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #47 on: August 4, 2023, 11:54:22 am »
 They've lost basically everyone and replaced no one and it sounds like Lopetegui might walk.
They flew under my radar, but I was reading this morning about the issues you mentioned. It doesn't look good for them, does it.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #48 on: August 5, 2023, 07:51:23 am »

Probably, they're taking FFP seriously which will fuck them, when Everton just ignored it and have gone unpunished.

Sheff United and Luton will go. Forest will struggle again, Palace could be down there and the likes of Brentford and Fulham won't do as well next season. Burnley could either do a Fulham from last season or just a Norwich.

Everton really should have gone last season but Leeds and Leicester completely collapsed, making stupid decisions over managers, and Brighton decided not to turn up against them. The field at the bottom looks way too weak this season.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: August 5, 2023, 07:54:45 am »
Forest?  Looked to me like they improved throughout last season, and with a settled side can do better.  Danilo/Gibbs-White/Brennan are good players.
The danger to them is the owner.

I think Luton will "do a Huddersfield"

Their home results could be interesting. Huddersfield staying up was a complete fluke though, all their numbers were awful (as were Forest's most of last season).

Huddersfield didn't even score in a majority of their games and were then hopeless the next season. They even got promoted with a negative goal difference.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #50 on: August 5, 2023, 09:06:13 am »
Forest will be ok I think. Johnson, Gibbs-White and Awonyi look
Like they’ll have enough goals in them.

Feels obvious to say Luton and Sheff Utd. One might be capable of doing that first season over performance but really don’t have an idea.

Everton, Wolves, Bournemouth don’t look great either. Feels like there’s a fair bit of dross in the league this year.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 5, 2023, 09:41:11 am »
Bit surprised no one has mentioned Fulham unless I missed it. Top goal scorer wants out it will go, haven't brought in any real quality, played against 10 men more than anyone last and had the most penalties (unlikely to benefit from.both again) Had a poor end to the season last year after a good start as well so may have been figured out a bit.

I guess there isn't a lot of quality in the bottom 6 or so but could see them easily having a second season syndrome relegation.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #52 on: August 5, 2023, 09:44:01 am »
Bit surprised no one has mentioned Fulham unless I missed it. Top goal scorer wants out it will go,

Hasn't he said he's happy to stay now?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: August 5, 2023, 10:25:11 am »
Bold shout of Abu Dhabi, but I don't think the case goes anywhere til next year.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: August 5, 2023, 10:27:45 am »
Bit surprised no one has mentioned Fulham unless I missed it. Top goal scorer wants out it will go, haven't brought in any real quality, played against 10 men more than anyone last and had the most penalties (unlikely to benefit from.both again) Had a poor end to the season last year after a good start as well so may have been figured out a bit.

I guess there isn't a lot of quality in the bottom 6 or so but could see them easily having a second season syndrome relegation.

They'll drop off a lot from last season, second season syndrome as well. Whether it's enough to go down or be in a relegation battle as well given the others down there.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: August 5, 2023, 04:23:55 pm »
Luton, Shef Utd and weirdly I’ve gone for Brighton.

They’ve sold a load of players so far and I don’t know who they’ve bought to replace them.

They probably wont go down but I think they’ll have a poor season
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: August 5, 2023, 04:26:51 pm »
Sheffield United, Luton and Wolves.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: August 5, 2023, 04:33:09 pm »

They’ve sold a load of players so far and I don’t know who they’ve bought to replace them.

Outside the big 6, Newcastle and Villa the other 12 could go down or at least flirt with it. Most would have had Leicester comfortably in mid table a year ago. Out the 12 though Brighton are the one who you could see back in the European places again though, but being in Europe will takes its toll as well.

The standard looks bad this year in the bottom half so it won't be difficult to finish 4th bottom. A lot of teams in bad situations over the window (West Ham, Everton, Fulham, Wolves, Palace etc).

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #58 on: August 5, 2023, 04:36:16 pm »
Luton, Everton, Wolves

Online StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: August 8, 2023, 10:48:06 am »
West Ham, Wolves, Luton

I'd take West Ham staying up on the final day at Everton's expense though.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: August 8, 2023, 10:56:18 am »

So far they've only really got rid of 3 players from their first team squad last season. MacAllister, Sanchez and Undav.
They've brought in Milner, Joao Pedro, Mahmoud Dahoud, a centre back from Fiorentina and spent 20m on a keeper to replace Sanchez.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #61 on: August 8, 2023, 02:25:03 pm »
Lopetegui looks like he'll be leaving Wolves with Gary O'Neil in line to take over. They've had a few shite transfer windows now, so wouldn't be surprised if they have a bad start and struggle all season.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Oh Campione

• Anny Roader
« Reply #62 on: August 8, 2023, 02:28:14 pm »
Wolves, Sheffield United and Luton seem the obvious picks at the moment.  Everton will escape again I'm afraid

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: August 8, 2023, 04:59:29 pm »
Which two blues voted for Liverpool?  :D
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #64 on: August 8, 2023, 05:02:09 pm »
Which two blues voted for Liverpool?  :D

;D
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #65 on: August 8, 2023, 05:20:09 pm »
City
United
Chelsea

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #66 on: August 8, 2023, 05:23:56 pm »
City
United
Chelsea
Can't believe the Ev are going to stay up again, FML.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: August 8, 2023, 05:25:25 pm »
Wolves, Luton and someone random like Fulham.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
The great relegation race 23/24
« Reply #68 on: August 9, 2023, 10:20:06 am »
Sheff United have lost half their decent players, in an already weak squad. Luton will be hoping vibes keep them up. Everton will be going full Dycheball. Wolves have no idea what to do. Forest and Bournemouth will probably struggle again. Fulham have lost some key players.

Surely it's 3 from the above?
« Last Edit: August 9, 2023, 11:24:03 am by Elzar »
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: The great relegation race 23/24
« Reply #69 on: August 9, 2023, 10:56:06 am »
Luton, Sheff United and Forest.

Could easily have gone for Bournemouth instead of Forest.

Equally I think Everton, Wolves, Fulham, Burnley or even West Ham could easily be pulled into a fight if they have a bad run of form, injuries to key players or just some bad luck!

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: August 9, 2023, 11:07:59 am »
See it being between 5 teams

Everton
West Ham
Luton
Sheffield United
Wolves

Hope Luton pull off a surprise and stay up (couldn't stand them last time they were in the top division, mainly due to their odious chairman David Evans)

It would be delicious if West Ham went down, that could well be the comedy channel this season with Moyes making them unwatchable and the hammers fans going nuts. Oh and Maguire now.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: August 9, 2023, 04:38:23 pm »
Booked have priced it about right (Bet365).

Luton 1/3
Sheff Utd 4/7
Wolves 9/4
Nottm Forest 5/2
Bournemouth 5/2
Everton 3/1
Fulham 7/2
Burnley 7/2
Crystal Palace 7/1
Brentford 8/1
West Ham 9/1

Sheff United and Luton odds on to go and then Wolves most likely. Forest, Fulham  and Bournemouth a good chance a couple of them will struggle in their 2nd season after promotion which Everton will be relying on to see them okay again.

Burnley another newly promoted team so could either do a Fulham last year or a Norwich. Palace get Hodgson in full time is a complete lack of ambition and they're not really spending either, although he had a good run back end of last season he was a disaster at Watford the year before over a longer period.
« Last Edit: August 9, 2023, 04:42:55 pm by Fromola »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #72 on: August 9, 2023, 07:26:30 pm »
A good barometer of who is staying up/going down is if you were to take the three worst Goals For and Goals Against records for the clubs that stayed up during the most recent season and compare it to who was relegated the following campaign.

Last season, the three clubs that were not relegated with the worst Goals For were Wolves, Everton and Bournemouth. The three worst defensive records of those who stayed up were Bournemouth, Nottingham Forest and Tottenham.

Keep in mind over the past twenty-five seasons in all but three seasons (1998/99, 2007/08 and 2020/21), there has been an instance of at least one club who had either one of the three worst GA or GF records the season prior going down during the following season. Incidentally, if you look at the prior seasons each time this didn't occur there was a club with one of the three worst GF/GA records that somehow stayed up and probably should have gone down

- 1997/98 - Everton stay up on GD (Everton had the third worst GF of any team that stayed up)
- 2006/07 - the season of the Carlos Tevez controversy (West Ham had the 2nd worst GA and GF of any team that stayed up)
- 2019/20 - the COVID season that Villa stayed up in part due to a faulty VAR camera (Villa had the worst GA of any team that stayed up that year)

Notably in the three seasons that this has not happened - 1998/99, 2007/08 and 2020/21 -  two of the three teams that were relegated were newly promoted

If the past 25 seasons are anything to go by, there's a strong likelihood one of Wolves, Everton, Bournemouth or Forest are going down this season

Spoiler

2022/23 - Leeds (worst GA and 2nd worst GF season prior); Southampton 2nd worst GA season prior)
2021/22 - Burnley (worst GF season prior)
2020/21 - No affected teams were relegated
2019/20 - Bournemouth (worst GA season prior)
2018/19 - Huddersfield (worst GA season prior)
2017/18 - Stoke (3rd worst GF season prior); Swansea (worst GA season prior)
2016/17 - Sunderland (2nd worst GA season prior)
2015/16 - Aston Villa (2nd worst GA and GF season prior); Newcastle (worst GA season prior)
2014/15 - Hull (2nd worst GF season prior)
2013/14 - Norwich (2nd worst GF season prior); Fulham (3rd worst GA season prior)
2012/13 - QPR (2nd worst GA season prior); Wigan (3rd worst GF and GA season prior)
2011/12 - Wolves (2nd worst GA season prior)
2010/11 - West Ham (3rd worst GF season prior)
2009/10 - Portsmouth (3rd worst GF and GA season prior); Hull (worst GA season prior)
2008/09 - Newcastle (Worst GA and 2nd worst GF season prior);
2007/08 - No affected teams impacted
2006/07 - Charlton (3rd worst GF season prior)
2005/06 - WBA (2nd worst GF and worst GA season prior); Birmingham (3rd worst GF season prior)
2004/05 - Southampton (third worst GF season prior)
2003/04 - Leeds (2nd worst GA season prior)
2002/03 - Sunderland (worst GF season prior); West Ham (2nd worst GA season prior)
2001/02 - Derby (worst GF and 2nd worst GA season prior); Leicester (2nd worst GF season prior)
2000/01 - Bradford (worst GF and GA season prior)
1999/00 - Wimbledon (2nd worst GA season prior)
1998/99 - No affected teams impacted
[close]
« Last Edit: August 9, 2023, 07:30:53 pm by rafathegaffa83 »