Author Topic: The 'Built in their Image' Football Draft - Discussion Thread  (Read 20090 times)

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The 'Built in their Image' Football Draft - Discussion Thread
« Reply #360 on: July 11, 2023, 08:12:50 pm »
Just not the right skin tone mate.  ;D
you're blek?

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #361 on: July 11, 2023, 08:16:18 pm »
who encouraged samie to pick him?? iron anus is well out of the potty mouthed tarts comfort zone!

He probably had little choice given the categories of this draft.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #362 on: July 11, 2023, 08:16:45 pm »
Question - how good was Glenn Hysen?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: July 11, 2023, 08:22:48 pm »

I was too young to really know at the time or cant remember. I thought he was about 60 when we signed him because of the grey hair.

Some snippets of info here though: https://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/328
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 08:24:34 pm by red1977 »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: July 11, 2023, 08:27:39 pm »
you're blek?

;D

A little from column A, a little from column B.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: July 11, 2023, 08:28:37 pm »
He probably had little choice given the categories of this draft.

This is true, Lman think's I role with him when I've always been #TeamProf.  8)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #366 on: July 11, 2023, 08:29:57 pm »

Good player, who signed for us at an unfortunate moment with Souness coming in and deciding to rip everything up. Possibly he came to us a bit long in the tooth as well (he was 29 when he arrived). But he had a good debut season alongside Hansen and would probably have been remembered better if not for what followed. In our history of CBs, I'd put him easily above anyone from the Evans era but below the likes of Hyppia and Agger. Definitely a solid pick.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: July 11, 2023, 08:48:59 pm »
Good player, who signed for us at an unfortunate moment with Souness coming in and deciding to rip everything up. Possibly he came to us a bit long in the tooth as well (he was 29 when he arrived). But he had a good debut season alongside Hansen and would probably have been remembered better if not for what followed. In our history of CBs, I'd put him easily above anyone from the Evans era but below the likes of Hyppia and Agger. Definitely a solid pick.
Thanks Betty, appreciated. I gathered from some online reading that he definitely seemed more highly rated in Italy than he was by our own fanbase. He may be the only pick I can take seeing as I’ve literally never heard of any of the Argentinos Juniors players Maradona made his debut alongside!

Always good to get some perspective, Evans/Houllier was my first team so Hysén’s time predates me.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #368 on: July 11, 2023, 09:14:14 pm »
Thanks Betty, appreciated. I gathered from some online reading that he definitely seemed more highly rated in Italy than he was by our own fanbase. He may be the only pick I can take seeing as I’ve literally never heard of any of the Argentinos Juniors players Maradona made his debut alongside!

Always good to get some perspective, Evans/Houllier was my first team so Hysén’s time predates me.

Someone like Bobby or Lman might be more helpful, since I'm just stealing knowledge off my old man and the classic games he used to sit and watch and breakdown with me  :)
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #369 on: July 11, 2023, 09:15:46 pm »
Max moaning about picking unknowns and just pulled out two all-time great fullbacks. Might have to revoke my vote for him keeping Pele  :D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #370 on: July 11, 2023, 09:22:32 pm »
Think we stole Hysen from under the (purple ) nose of United. I was there for his debut I think, home to Man City in August 1989.

He was decent enough in that first season and had a good leap on him I think. As said by Betty he wasn’t a long standing success, and seem to remember him having a few mares in the early Souness but he was hardly alone in that!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: July 11, 2023, 09:27:31 pm »
Think we stole Hysen from under the (purple ) nose of United. I was there for his debut I think, home to Man City in August 1989.

He was decent enough in that first season and had a good leap on him I think. As said by Betty he wasn’t a long standing success, and seem to remember him having a few mares in the early Souness but he was hardly alone in that!
Interesting, cheers. The defence at my first ever Liverpool game was Kvarme, Wright, Bjornebye and Matteo so it was a few years until I experienced a truly quality defender. Possibly a bit harsh on Wright but when I was starting to watch football he was mid-late 30s and constantly injured.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: July 11, 2023, 09:34:47 pm »
Max moaning about picking unknowns and just pulled out two all-time great fullbacks. Might have to revoke my vote for him keeping Pele  :D

On accolades and pedigree, those two are some of the best but they are not draft vote winners.

In general players from certain eras and teams get less love. If they played in Serie A in the 90s the story would be different.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #373 on: July 11, 2023, 09:37:59 pm »

Gave his all, did Glenn. Good red.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #374 on: July 11, 2023, 09:41:37 pm »
On accolades and pedigree, those two are some of the best but they are not draft vote winners.

In general players from certain eras and teams get less love. If they played in Serie A in the 90s the story would be different.

We shall see, but both are far from draft unknowns and are picked fairly regularly in here. Pretty sure both have been in winning draft sides in the past too.

But of course, neither have the sex appeal of a Zanetti or Cafu.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: July 11, 2023, 09:54:21 pm »
Fucking hell, Wullie! Fair play. I should have played him earlier, greedy bastard I am. He was boss at Madrid. Great to watch. Good choice.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: July 11, 2023, 09:55:46 pm »
This is true, Lman think's I role with him when I've always been #TeamProf.  8)

You roll in any arl shite

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: July 11, 2023, 09:57:37 pm »
We shall see, but both are far from draft unknowns and are picked fairly regularly in here. Pretty sure both have been in winning draft sides in the past too.

But of course, neither have the sex appeal of a Zanetti or Cafu.

Yeah, I reckon my team is gonna end up decent. I had to do some deep research to find that Tommy Smith was born in 1945. Finding defenders was pretty challenging with Beckenbauer as the inspiration.

I need CB and should be able to get a good one. My goalkeeper is gonna be a total draft unknown so I will have to do some marketing.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: July 11, 2023, 10:00:26 pm »

He's an absolute scoundrel for drafting Pele. Should be an * next to it, tbf. I'm surprised at you.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: July 11, 2023, 10:04:07 pm »
Oof! Just got twatted twice there, same position. I'm fucked!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: July 11, 2023, 10:04:56 pm »

You've not had such a thing since the dawn of life old man.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #381 on: July 11, 2023, 10:07:17 pm »
He's an absolute scoundrel for drafting Pele. Should be an * next to it, tbf. I'm surprised at you.

I fell for a sob story. Lesson learnt for next time

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: July 11, 2023, 10:08:52 pm »
You've not had such a thing since the dawn of life old man.

Fuck off Gandolph

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: July 11, 2023, 10:09:00 pm »
thank fuck for Puskas being born April 1st, or else it was between Ngog and Phillip Schofield 👀

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #384 on: July 11, 2023, 10:09:10 pm »

Never knew Damien Duff was in such high demand.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: July 11, 2023, 10:12:51 pm »
Never knew Damien Duff was in such high demand.

He'd have looked good in red. One that got away.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #386 on: July 11, 2023, 10:33:00 pm »
thank fuck for Puskas being born April 1st, or else it was between Ngog and Phillip Schofield 👀

All these Birthday picks are making mine feel worse and worse. Fucking mama Maldini. Why couldn't you have held him in for at least a few extra days  :D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: July 12, 2023, 12:49:44 am »
Lads, I found another Shark Attack for my team. This one is a Right Winger.  ;D

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: July 12, 2023, 07:42:35 am »
All these Birthday picks are making mine feel worse and worse. Fucking mama Maldini. Why couldn't you have held him in for at least a few extra days  :D

The birthday picks are shit you either get super lucky and a legend or a dog shit nobody.

Imagine getting puskas ffs.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #389 on: July 12, 2023, 08:58:34 am »
The birthday picks are shit you either get super lucky and a legend or a dog shit nobody.

Varane, Rep, Makelele, Son, Ferdinand, Stankovic, Vieira, Mattheus, Campbell, Puskas are all good picks. Sport involves a bit of luck this helps simulate that a bit.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 09:01:42 am by mikey_LFC »
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: July 12, 2023, 09:07:09 am »

Agreed. Not only was my date terrible - Essentially only either Bob Wilson or Glenn Hysen to play at a decent level, even my year was shit. Aside from the great one Maradona, it was a fallow year for top players to be born. There was Littbarski, Lineker and Careca but no good defenders or midfielders to speak of and I already have Batistuta.

I wanted Rattin but realised if I didn’t pick Marzolini, I wouldn’t have a left back. Now to complete my catenaccio with whatever right back played for Agentinos Juniors on Maradona’s debut.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: July 12, 2023, 09:19:14 am »
Agreed. Not only was my date terrible - Essentially only either Bob Wilson or Glenn Hysen to play at a decent level, even my year was shit. Aside from the great one Maradona, it was a fallow year for top players to be born. There was Littbarski, Lineker and Careca but no good defenders or midfielders to speak of and I already have Batistuta.

I wanted Rattin but realised if I didn’t pick Marzolini, I wouldn’t have a left back. Now to complete my catenaccio with whatever right back played for Agentinos Juniors on Maradona’s debut.

Could have gone for Stefan Kuntz on the birthday pick. German Footballer of the Year in 1991 and starter in the Euro 1996 winning German side.

As for the year, you've got Baresi, Brehme, Voller, Waddle and Zenga as options.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 09:22:19 am by mikey_LFC »

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: July 12, 2023, 09:27:52 am »

I think I've got someone from Cruzeiro's 93 team who actually has a Brazil cap! Happy days.

My main issue with the birthday thing is the lack of options, I wanted to build an all Brazil side (even if slightly weaker players than available) but my options made that impossible.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: July 12, 2023, 09:35:31 am »
I think I've got someone from Cruzeiro's 93 team who actually has a Brazil cap! Happy days.

My main issue with the birthday thing is the lack of options, I wanted to build an all Brazil side (even if slightly weaker players than available) but my options made that impossible.

Thiago Silva or Joel Camargo would have been fine for your birthday pick. I know Thiago Silva went early but that means not getting him was down to draft strategy, not availability.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: July 12, 2023, 09:37:44 am »
Could have gone for Stefan Kuntz on the birthday pick. German Footballer of the Year in 1991 and starter in the Euro 1996 winning German side.

As for the year, you've got Baresi, Brehme, Voller, Waddle and Zenga as options.
Unfortunately Baresi has gone, otherwise he would’ve been a very early pick. Weird that I didn’t find Brehme, Waddle or Voller, but Kuntz was on the list, but I’m playing one up top.

Knowing Brehme is available I’d have rather switched my Marzolini pick to a Right Back.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: July 12, 2023, 09:37:54 am »
Thiago Silva or Joel Camargo would have been fine for your birthday pick. I know Thiago Silva went early but that means not getting him was down to draft strategy, not availability.

Nice I didn't spot him, was a bit rushed with the change to the 18th and Campbell is a quality defender as you say.

Yes didn't think T.Silva would have gone so early to be honest, but I'll stand by Zico and Cafu as my first two picks, legends.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 09:40:09 am by Draex »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: July 12, 2023, 09:40:22 am »
Anyone have an issue if I swap out a player from a few rounds ago for a different pick and category, or is that completely unacceptable form?

Bear in mind that I probably have the worst team in the draft, or thereabouts.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: July 12, 2023, 09:44:45 am »
I don't mind

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #398 on: July 12, 2023, 09:48:45 am »
Anyone have an issue if I swap out a player from a few rounds ago for a different pick and category, or is that completely unacceptable form?

I think come the very end of the draft then that would be fine, but right now I imagine many people have picks waiting in the balance that any changes in previous picks could mess up their whole strategy.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: July 12, 2023, 09:49:11 am »

If you hold off, come the end of the draft I'm going to release rules around swapping players to ensure the competition stays fresh throughout.

Best we refrain from allowing changes mid-draft as it could snowball, but don't worry you'll be able to make changes at a later date.